[Mkguild] FW: [TSA] Thoughts on Metamor Keep

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Aug 2 16:38:50 CDT 2007

>I think that some of the things said during this discussion had real
>points to make, others, not so much. I think that a new 'jump in'
>story is fine and good, but I also think that its rediculous to
>assume that any story posted in MK needs to re-introduce the main
>plot points or characters! We have plenty of stories that don't
>re-introduce those things and they are fine, no. More than fine,
>they have been great!

I certainly agree there.  I have no intent on trying to rehash
everything I've already done in my stories.

>And another thing, this comment that MK is 'welcoming to writers but
>not to reader' is complete BS. It might, *might* be the other way
>around, where it is easier to read MK than to write. I mean, when I
>found the MK archive and saw that their was some 250+ stories, I was
>overjoyed! I was thinking -this is awsome! Look at all those
>stories!- Not, - Oh no! I've got to read 200 stories to understand
>the new stuff? Ah man!- And I didn't even entertain ideas on writing
>in MK till I had read through about half of them.

Woohoo!  Thank you, AZ!  Finally somebody telling the truth.  It's
exciting to discover a setting that will keep you entertained for
months to years!  Something you can go through fast won't hold your attention.

>I also think that a new writer could jump into MK without reading
>hardly at all (By that I mean percentage wise, all of WA and the
>first handfull would only be about 5% of what all is in the
>archive)  It would be hard, true, but I think it could be done. Lets
>say that a new writer finds MK and wants to jump in immediately. He
>reads the first handful of stories, Winter Assalt, and the Writing
>Guidlines. Then he writes his story, which has a number of flaws,
>like lets say that he writes one with Muri appearing in a brief
>cameo, still at the Keep (which he isn't). He sends it into the list
>and... what happens? We bite his head off? No, 'course not. We let
>him know that Muri has left the keep and probably refer him to the story.

Absolutely.  That's one thing about Metamor Keep -- we help each
other out and try to keep everybody on the same page.  And we do so
kindly, and with encouragement!

>I know this isn't something that is likely to happen, it would take
>someone who is extremely outgoing and doesn't mind being corrected.
>The new author would probably make plenty of mistakes and need a lot
>of guidance, but who here wouldn't give it to them?

I think everyone here has bene of help to me, or I have helped
them.  I would be surprised if it was anyother way with the rest of you!