[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XLVIII

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 22:03:13 CDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org
[mailto:mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org] On Behalf Of C. Matthias
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:02 AM
To: MKGuild at lists.integral.org
Subject: [Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XLVIII

And here it is, the culmination of Book III of
the Last Tale of Yajakali!  I'm going to take
some time away from writing this to focus on some
other projects.  I expect I'lls tart Book IV sometime this Autumn.

>>> Autumn?  I have to wait till then for the next part??

Chapter XLVIII

Imbervand

         When the blackness cleared, Jessica
gawked at the strange world she now saw around
her.  Directly before her stood a pillar
stretching into the incomparable heights, narrow
but solid.  Fashioned from a gray stone, it
nevertheless appeared to glow a pulsing
crimson.  The style of its construction was like
nothing she’d ever seen – delicate, yet sturdy in
a way that even the Åelves couldn’t reproduce.
         On either side of the pillar existed an
empty blackness, as of a world that was waiting
for the creator’s hand to illumine it.  Beneath
the pillar, and upon which she now lay, was a
triangular platform of close fitting stones.  At
each vertex stood another pillar like the first,
for three pillars in all.  And beneath of her,
shocked and struggling, was the Runecaster
Agathe, fighting her purple robes which had
tangled her arms when they’d fallen through.
         A memory came to the hawk, of a time
spent studying with Misha’s sister,
Elizabeth.  The world bell... pillars... death...
Ahdyojiak!  Agathe had summoned the Pillars of
Ahdyojiak, and now Jessica was here with
her.  Her mind reeled at the ramifications.  This
place could take her anywhere in the world if she
only knew how to use it.  She immediately
wondered how would she return to her friends in
Breckaris.  But there was one things even more
important to the hawk, and that lay beneath of
her, one hand finally free of the robes.

>>>Time for revenge???

         “Agathe!” Jessica cried, her fury
remembered, she tried to bite at the lump that was the Runecaster’s
head.
         The fingers danced in the air, and the
hawk felt a concussion strike.  She flew
backwards, crashing against one of the pillars
and slumping to the floor.  Jessica shook her
head clear, and brought her wings up, conjuring a
bolt of fire.  The Runecaster tried to rise, but
it struck her in the chest.  Her robes caught
flame, and she thrashed about, screaming
obscenities.  Another twist of her fingers and
the robe righted itself, a blast of arctic chill
descending from the limitless blackness above and extinguishing the
fire.
         Agathe turned, empty red eye socket
smouldering like an opened forge, and pulled her
other hand free.  Jessica felt terror grip her
heart.  This was the woman who had killed Wessex
and reanimated his corpse!  This was the woman
who had nearly killed them all in the Barrier
Mountains!  Jessica was just a journeyman mage,
and not a one of her friends was here to help.  This was madness!
         The Runecaster lifted her hands, a blue
rune flaring to life as her fingers
moved.  Golden energy arced from its centre, and
the hawk was only just able to bring up a
shield.  Cracks marred its surface, but it was
all she could do.  Jessica put her energy into
it, staring through one half-lidded eye at
Agathe.  The witch had a contemptuous smile upon
her lips, her scarred cheeks giving her a
devilish cast.  She drew another rune, and the energy struck again.
         Jessica breathed rapidly, keeping the
pillar at her back, wondering what she could
possibly do.  Agathe stood in the very centre of
the triangle, feet spread wide, the darkness
behind her so complete that the hawk found it
difficult to look at anything else.  What lay in
that netherworld beyond the pillars?
         Drawing up her strength, Jessica, thrust
her shield forward, braced her talons against the
pillar, and leapt!  Agathe’s eye widened in
surprise, and she hastily drew another rune.

>>>Too late Agathe!

  But
the hawk wrapped her wings around the Runecaster,
and the two tumbled forward, to the very edge of
the platform.  For a moment they teetered there,
the safety of the grey floor on one side, the
infinite emptiness of the Imbervand on the
other.  And then Jessica flung one talon towards
the darkness and they toppled over the edge.
         Agathe screamed in rage, and beat at the
hawk with her fists.  Jessica, tried to peck her
with her beak, but squawked in agony when her
beak met a magical barrier.  Agathe’s one eye was
nearly as red as the empty socket.  Yet despite
the darkness all around them, both of them were
as clear to each other as if it they stood outside on a sunny day.
         Overhead, the platform and the pillars
receded as they fell towards some unimaginable
depth below.  Frightened by what might exist
there, Jessica spread her wings.  They caught on
invisible currents and arrested her
descent.

>>>Being a bird does have it's advantages!

  Agathe plunged downwards, but quickly
wrapped her arms around Jessica’s foot.  The hawk
squawked angrily, and tried to rake the witch’s
face with her other foot, but her talons met that
same magical barrier.  The pain of trying to
pierce it made her wings buckle, and they were falling again.
         Agathe drew a rune in the air with one
hand, and ghostly wings sprouted from her
back.  They seemed a mirror of Jessica’s, fluffy
and full of large feathers, but each a nebulous
blue that glowed in outline.  The Runecaster dug
her fingers into Jessica’s leg, and pulled
herself up.  Death burned in her face; the hawk
struggled to kick her free, but to no avail.
         Her head now at Jessica’s middle, Agathe
drew another rune.  Jessica tried to hold her
shield before her but the strange flows of magic
– how magic could be in this place between all
life, Jessica did not know – coalesced like a
fist around her heart.  She gasped in horror,
feeling it squeezed tight, crushing all life from
it.  She dropped her shield and poured her energy
into fighting off that clutching hand.  The
Runecaster smiled, even as the hawk’s sight grew dim.
         The world was but that vague image of
Agathe, the pinprick of grey light that was the
pillars far overhead, and the fatal agony in her
chest.  Everything else was an endless sea of
night, a night when all the stars had gone
out.  Jessica felt her energy, saw it strangled
within Agathe’s fist, and wondered if there
really was anything she could do.  Her awareness
of the physical began to fade, leaving her with
only the afterimage of the magic. She could see
Agathe’s wings like bright beacons, and the fist
extending from her wrapped tight around Jessica’s
poor heart.  And then there was something else
she saw, something faint and almost
invisible.  There were three pinpricks of light on the Runecaster’s
face.
         Jessica used what strength she had left
to keep her heart from being crushed, but in
every moment when the pressure and the pain waned
even a fraction, she studied those points of
light.  It seemed an eternity, but they grew in
prominence the more she studied.  The first two
were thin slits, and they carried the signature
of energy bolts, something her master Wessex had
taught her to cast.  The third was clearly from a
scrying rod, as it seemed to seer into the soul.
         Jessica peered into that hole, and saw
things beyond her understanding.  A young child
being led into a city with tall and close-knit
walls.  Cloaked wizards guided her and other
children around.  Simple spells, runes of all
sorts, and their history were revealed to
her.  She felt a contempt for the men, who seemed
to regard her as a curiosity, and it was then
that Jessica saw there were few girls, and no
women in these visions.  Snubs, dismissive words,
but grudging acceptance filled them.
         And then a man in black, somebody
different, not of those walls or that
city.  Jessica sucked in her breath —
Zagrosek!  He took the woman away, to a city in a
jungle, of gold, wood, bells and magic.  And of
an evil that lurked in every crevice.  Jessica
screamed, fear filling her with an energy she
could not imagine.  Agathe screamed as well, the
hand clutching the hawk’s heart shattered by the sudden invasion.
         The wounds... that is what they were;
Jessica saw those three pinpricks of light in
Agathe’s face and knew them at last.  The
Runecaster drew another sigil in the air, but
Jessica sliced her wing through the middle,
dispersing it before it could be finished.  Those
wounds had been caused by Wessex, her master.  Of
course Agathe had not been able to heal them,
they were magical, and the magic was still alive
in them.  Wessex, her master, had taught her many
things, including how to use his spells when she
must.  Jessica squawked in triumph.

>>>Cool! Agathe is going to be killed by a man who's been dead for
months!

         Reaching out her mind, she poured her
energy into those three spells.  Agathe screamed,
hands reaching to her face, even as the bolts dug
further into her cheeks, and the hole in her eye
dug further, back into her brain.  The
Runecaster’s shrieks echoed in Jessica’s mind,
but she pushed further, and further, unwilling to grant this woman any
quarter.
         The blue wings faltered, and then
disappeared entirely as Agathe turned all her
energy to trying to keep the wounds from growing,
but every time it seemed she had balked the hawk,
Jessica turned her anger into more power. “You
killed him!” Jessica cried, feeling all of the
darkness around her turn to her cause. “But he
has also killed you!”

>>>How ironic!

 Jessica turned Wessex’s
spells again, and the bolts pushed back into the
brain case, along with the hole in her eye.  Fire
cascaded from the socket, and the Runecaster’s body was gripped by
seizures.
         And then, with one final push, Jessica
brought all three spells together and let them
detonate.  With one last soul-searing scream,
Agathe’s head erupted in a brilliant plume of
scarlet fire, and then her body shrivelled to ash
within her purple robe.

>>>She blew the woman's head off???

  Jessica pushed it away,
spreading out her wings.  She watched for a
moment as the lifeless ruin disappeared into the
darkness below.  To her horror, something seemed
to swallow it, and all the black around her took
on a decidedly malevolent cast.  This was no more
emptiness anymore.  Agathe’s death had woken something.

>>>That can't be good!

         Frightened, Jessica beat her wings,
looking upwards for the pillars, and seeing only
a tiny mote of light in the field of night.  She
angled towards it, pulled her legs close to her
chest, and flew with every bit of strength she
had.  There were no currents in the air to guide
her, nor thermals to ease her ascent.  Everything
was still.  She would have to work for every
fathom, every foot, and every inch.
         How far had they fallen?  And did they
fall as quickly as they would have on
Earth?  Jessica had no way to judge; there was no
wind of any kind, and her sole reference point
was just that, a single star in this empty
universe.  And how could she even be sure that
flapping her wings was bringing her any closer to
the platform?  Her soul ached to know just one
levitation spell capable of moving things heavier
than pebbles.  Already her shoulders burned from exhaustion.
         For a moment she spread her wings and
held them steady.  The pain subsided and she
shuddered, finally understanding what she’d just
done.  She’d killed Agathe and avenged her
master’s death.  It was what she’d yearned with
all her being for the last ten months.  She
should feel exultant, thrilled at her
victory.  Then why did she feel no peace, only
emptiness?  What had the Lothannasa taught her
about revenge?  Didn’t she say that it would
claim three lives?  There was the victim and the
murderer, but was she to be the third?  Was she
to be forever lost in this impenetrable
darkness?  Would she go mad and kill herself?
         Jessica pumped her wings angrily,
ignoring the pain in her back.  She would not be
defeated by this!  She had taken up the studies
of a Master long before she was ready.  Seh had

>>>Typo - She not seh

protected her friends at countless turns.  By her
powers she had destroyed Lutin marauders, human
mercenaries, and now a Runecaster of
Marzac.  Marzac had taken so much from her
already, killing her mentor, imprisoning her
lover, as well as everything it had cost her
friends.  It would not take her life.  Not this day!
         That strange sense of forboding she’d
felt after Agathe died bit by bit crept back into
her mind.  Undaunted by her pain, Jessica
continued to ascend, trying not to dwell on what
lurked beneath her.  The gray mote had grown
larger, a detail only her hawk’s eyes would have
noted, but it was still far out of her
reach.  And so, her mind disobediently returned
to consider that otherness in the darkness.  What
could possibly exist in the Imbervand?
         She recalled the first time she’d
learned of the Imbervand – the in-between
land.  Yonson, the lemur ambassador to Metamor
from Marzac, had given her a tome on the subject
by an ancient southern mage.  The Imbervand was
that place through which all teleportation spells
would pass.  It connected all places in the
world.  The only limitation on how far a
teleportation spell could go was determined by
how far into the Imbervand the spell went.  The
Pillars of Ahdyojiak were the only device capable
of bringing a person fully into the
Imbervand.  But in her study, she’d never
encountered any mention of anything living
there.  Thus, this presence could only be the
result of her taxes spirit and overeager imagination.
         Just as she was prepared to dismiss it,
Jessica knew a profane sense of immanence in that
darkness.  Reason could not dispatch a waking
nightmare, nor could wishful thinking.  But where
Agathe had been a physical being she could see
and touch, this was tangible yet immaterial,
corporeal yet a shapeless void.  And this thing,
reaching up from unimaginable depths towards her,
scared her in a way no human could.
         She pumped her wings faster, but after a
few strokes forced herself to pause long enough
to shrink into her pure hawk form.  Smaller and
lighter, she found it much easier to fly, coming
ever nearer the platform with its three
pillars.  For a time – the only way she could
measure it was by counting wing strokes – this
seemed to work.  The dark presence receded, and
she was left with her own thoughts.
         And then, just as the platform grew from
an undifferentiated speck into a recognizable
triangular shape, it returned.  Whispers flitted
through her mind, and images came to her of
things so horrible, she had to fight the urge to
retch.  She saw her body mutilated, pierced by a
thousand shards of glass, and other far more
terrible things.  But she didn’t cry out until
she saw the same things done to her friends.  She
beat her wings harder, flinching as she felt the
tips of her feathers brush against something.

>What type of enemy is this? How do you fight something you cannot see?

         It was right behind her, slowly
swallowing her into its evil.  Jessica screamed
in agony, flinging herself towards the
platform.  It was so close now.  Another hundred
strokes and she would be there, back between the
pillars.  The darkness stretched out on all
sides, sliding its thoughts into her
mind.  Somehow, she knew it wasn’t going to kill
her just yet.  It wanted her, badly.  And it
wanted her mind destroyed.  It wanted, and wanted, and wanted.
         She refused to allow herself to be
sucked into its miasma of desecration.  One thing
only filled her thoughts; if she could escape,
she would see her lover and soon to be husband,
Weyden.  He too was a hawk, handsome with dark
red and brown feathers.  The way he ran his beak
across hers had always filled her with
excitement.  What she would give to be folded in his wings again!
         And then the shards of glass pierced
him, the blades severed his wings, thorns were
shoved through his beak, and his screams tore
through her mind.  The darkness brushed her wings
and taunted her tail feathers.  Jessica joined
her scream to his, as the tangible blackness
began to spread above her, cutting off her view
of the platform. “No!” she cried, struggling one
last time to escape the living nightmare.
         Only a single shaft of light was left,
through a hole far too small to pass.  A moment
before the last of her hope died to leave her in
madness, a brilliant flash erupted from the
platform.  White, so bright she thought it would
blind her, an arm reached through that hole.  She
threw herself against it, and all around her the
darkness shattered with the screams of a million mirrors.

>>>Saved at the last moment?

----------

         Jessica did not know how long she was
unconscious.  Her mind replayed that horrible
escape over and over again, and each time, she
felt that nebulous force close around her,
suffocating and pitiless.  Who or what could have
saved her?  Had she been saved, or was this all
part of the madness the darkness promised?
         Then, suddenly, she opened her eyes.
         The blackness that had consumed the
Imbervand was gone.  In its place were vague
suggestions of ancient temples and pagodas, but
through everything vegetation had sprouted,
brilliant flowers, and strange branches and
leaves spreading to form a canopy over the
earth.  But something seemed wrong, lifeless
about all that she saw.  It took her a minute to
realize that there was no colour at all to this
world; everything was bleached in grey.

>>A strange place! Like a black & white movie.

         It was only when Jessica began to stir
that she realized she was resting between three
giant pillars that stretched into a cloud bank
over head.  The Pillars of Adhyojiak.  But where was she now?
         “Dost not move yet,” a voice warned from
behind her, one unrecognizable, but kindly. “Thy
body hath need of mending.  What needs be done
hast been done, but thou must wait for it to finish.”
         Jessica could not feel any injury, just
a general stiffness in her wings.  The muscles
there ached, but that wasn’t surprising after the
amount of flapping she’d done.  She tried to move
her head to look down at herself, but felt a hand
rest upon the back of her neck. “She looks like
she’s improving,” a second voice said.  This one
had the character of a Midlander.
         “Aye, she wilt recover,” the first
replied.  It sounded vaguely like a Steppelander,
but there was some archaic turn to his accent
that she couldn’t place. “She hath many
questions, but the ones needeth answering be not the ones she wilt ask.”
         Jessica would not remain silent at that! “Who are you?”
         “As I didst say, not the questions she
needeth answering.  Thou shouldst instead be
asking, what must be done still.  While I do not
possess thy answer in full, I dost know of some
small part.  The answer of why Marzac hath gone
to such lengths in its quest, that art more
complicated, but from my vantage here I hath seen much that wilt aid
thee.”
         The hawk narrowed her eyes, trying to
turn over, but the hands at her back held her in
place.  Glumly she stared at the pillars,
wondering where they’d brought her now.  Dimly,
she began to notice that faint lines, like ropes,
grew from each pillar.  One from each were very
strong, and lead off into the ruins.
         “Was it you who saved me?” Jessica
asked.  He may not think the questions she wished
to ask important, but she was still going to ask them!
         “Aye, ‘twas I who took thee from the
darkness.  ‘Twas not easy to reach thee; if not
for thy valiant flight, thou wouldst hath been
lost to it, and with it, likely all our
hopes.  Thou will meet it again, at an appointed
hour.  Had it claimed thee, thy madness would
have ensured its success.  Now, we hath a little hope still.”
         Jessica took a moment to breathe.  That
sounded much like what she’d gathered from the
nightmare pursuing her.  She didn’t like the idea
that she would need to face it again.  How could
anyone survive such an encounter?  And who was
this man that he could save her from it?  But,
more importantly, what was it she faced?
         “I was in the Imbervand.  I didn’t think
anything lived in the Imbervand.  What was chasing me there?”
         “The power of Marzac,” the second man
answered. “It was invited into the Imbervand this
last January when its servants carried the Sword
of Yajakali through the Pillars.  The woman you
slew was the one wh

>>>Typo - who not wh

 had summoned the Pillars then, just as she did now.”
         “Agathe!” Jessica spat.  Hate flared
inside of her, then began to die.  The Runecaster
was dead, dead from spells Wessex had cast so
long ago.  Her anger could burn only herself now.
“Agathe summoned the Pillars of Ahdyojiak in
January?  Then that is what made the World Bell
ring.  I heard from a friend that the Pillars had
been summoned, and that something powerful had
been sent through.  It was the Sword?  The Sword is here?”
         Fear displaced her anger.  She had only
ever seen the censer of Yajakali, and its
destructive power was terrible enough.  But what
could the sword accomplish?  And if the Sword was
gallivanting about the world, then what of the
Dais, the final artifact of Yajakali?  Where was it hiding?
         “The sword hath been leashed to
Yesulam,”the Steppelander replied. “Just as the
censer wast leashed to Metamor.  And now with
Agathe’s death in the Imbervand, the Sword hath
lassoed Ahdyiojiak as well.  What they didst
conspire by their journey through the Imbervand
in January they hath consummated now.  Long hath
they coveted the power of Ahdyiojiak.  In the
last war, ‘twas the one power that thwarted
them.  Now it shalt be their slave.”

>>>One should beware what power they try to control. Least it devour
them.

         “I never meant to cause that!” Jessica
objected, stirring angrily, but the hands on her
back kept her down.  She must have been weaker
than she realized if a simple man could hold her
down.  She wondered if she was still a
normal-sized hawk, but no, the hands against her
felt too small for that.  And her legs felt long,
like they should when she was her half-human self.
         “Just as we never meant to aid Marzac
either,” the second man replied.  But where we
were foolish and greedy, you seek to destroy that
power.  For that I am grateful.”
         “Aye, but who are you?”
         “We should tell her,” the man said
sympathetically. “I know she won’t have heard of
me.  But she may have heard of you.”
         “Not until the others hath returned.”
         “Others?” Jessica asked.  And then she
saw something moving through the ferns.  Her eyes
locked on the disturbance, heart pounding
rapidly.  And then a solitary figure emerged.  It
was of a young man, his hair light in colour,
with the beginnings of a goatee sprouting from
his chin.  He was dressed like a Midlander, and
from his chest emerged the other end of that
strange rope attached to the Pillars.  He nodded
once to the hawk, a half-smile on his face. “She’s awake!”
         “Dost thee possess it?”
         The young man nodded, unable to take his
eyes from the hawk. “I’ve never met a Metamorian
before.  Always thought one day we’d go up
there...”  He came closer, and then knelt before
her. “This is for you.” He produced a small stone
and laid it before her.  It rolled on the masonry
a moment before settling against a small
crack.  Jessica could see what looked vaguely
like a mountain inscribed on one side.
         “What is it?”
         “ ‘Tis meant to be kept close to thy
heart.  Dost not let anyone see it.  ‘Tis for thee alone.”
         Jessica grimaced but nodded.  They had
saved her life, there must be some reason for everything she witnessed.
         “Where’s Thulin?’ the second man asked.
         “He should be right behind me,” the
young man replied.  He returned to his feet and
then smiled. “Ah, there he is now.  Hurry up, Thulin!  She’s awake!”
         “Hurry up?” a voice called back from the
brush.  Jessica saw a slightly older man emerge
there, dark of hair bearing similar clothes. He
also had a rope emerging from his middle “What
point is there in hurrying in a place where time
doesn’t exist?”

>>>HUH? Did I read that right? A rope?

He had a scroll case tucked under
one arm, and he gingerly held it out when he
neared. “This is for you, Jessica.  One day you will find this very
useful.”
         “What is it?” she asked. “And who are all of you?”
         “It’s time we told her,” the second man
said in reproving tones. “And time we explained what’s happening.”
         “Aye, ‘tis time.  Help her up.  She art
weak still, and wilt need thy aid.”
         The two men came to help one holding her
down.  Together, the three of them lifted
her.  Jessica tried to struggle free from their
grasp, but she realized with shock that she truly
was weak.  She could not budge at all from their
grip, and as soon as she put her talons beneath
her, she was certain that they would not hold her
up.  They set her on a stone, with the young man
at her side to keep her from tipping over.
         She now could see the two men who’d been
with her from the beginning.  The other Midlander
looked like his fellows, though a bit pudgier,
with ruddy cheeks and a clever eye.  He also had
a rope protrude from his middle.  It appeared
they were all babes still attached to their
mothers, but in this case their mothers were the three pillars.

>>> Huh?? They are part of the pillars perhaps?

         When her eyes first saw the other man,
for a moment she thought him a Keeper too,
because his chest was covered in silvery fur, and
his head was a set of snarling wolf jaws.  But
after a few seconds study she realized that he
was only a man wearing highly decorative
armour.  She marvelled at the construction,
noting the richness in detail. From a distance in
battle, it would look as if a wolf walked among
men.  The face behind the jaws was hard, lean,
with an air of dignity that spoke of power and a
sense of responsibility that he took pride in.
         “Who are you?” she asked again, unable
to take her eyes from the armoured man.
         “I,” the man with ruddy cheeks answered,
“am Kaleas.  I was once a merchant of wool from
Kelewair.  My partners are Thulin and
Marin.  Together we made a good living carrying
our wares west to Ellcaran and south to
Ralathe.  But that ended earlier this year.” He frowned, and shook his
head.
         “What happened?” Jessica asked.
         Thulin grunted and replied, “We had the
misfortune to be playing cards at the wrong
Inn.  A man saw us, a man with a dark plan.  We
foolishly allowed him to join our game, and one
by one, he used the cards to control our minds.  Then he killed us.”

>>>Ah!!!

         Jessica blinked.  Cards?  The Marquis?
“Were you taken by the Marquis du Tournemire as well?”
         “No,” Marin replied. “In that we were
lucky.  This man could not inflict pain on us
through the cards.  It was an ordinary deck, but
he knew the ancient rituals that made it
powerful.  Learned if from du Tournemire he
did.  He called himself Krabbe, but his real name is Zagrosek.”
         “Zagrosek!” Jessica squawked
angrily.  Though he had not killed her master, he
was involved in just about every other evil
Marzac had perpetrated! “And he killed you?”
         “Do you see these?” Thulin asked,
holding up the rope that tied him to one of the
Pillars. “It is the reason we are here.  After
taking control of our minds, the woman you just
killed summoned the Pillars of Ahdyojiak.  We
three were sacrificed to the pillars in order to
power them and to prepare them to transport the
Sword of Yajakali from Ellcaran to
Yesulam.  Until the Sword is destroyed, we will
remain trapped here in this place out of time.”

>>>Wild! Those aren't ropes they are like magical power cords! They
power the pillars!

         “This place out of time... but you were
kille din January.

>>>Typo killed in

  How is it you are here now in my time?”
         The armoured man cut in. “The Imbervand
knoweth not time.  It wilt bring us to any time
in reality we wishest it.  But time’s arrow
pointeth only one way, and we but follow it like
dutiful servants.  To go back art impossible.”
         “We’re here because you are here,”
Kaleas explained. “And when you leave, we will go
to the next time that the Imbervand is used.  The
Pillars are not the only things that can bring
us, but it is they that bring us most fully, and
the only way we can reach out to others.”

>>>Note - that sounds like a clue of some sort.

         Jessica nodded. “So you are the three
who died when the Pillars were summoned in
January.  That explains that.  But who are you?”
         The armoured man smiled. “I hight Pelain
of Cheskych.  Thou mayest hath heard of me, but I doubt it.”
         Jessica shook her head. “I’m sorry, no, I have not heard of
you.”
         “My time and place hath been lost but to
a few who dost remember.  I didst live a thousand
years past, and ‘twas I that built the city of
Cheskych in the Vysehrad mountains.  Thou dost
know them as the Great Eastern Range.”
         Jessica blinked in surprise. “I didn’t
know there were any cities in those mountains!”
         “Thou hath heard of the ancient city of Carethedor?”
         The name was familiar, and after a
moment of reflection, Jessica recalled where
she’d learned of it. “Aye, Carethedor.  The
Åelves of Carethedor built the Pillars of
Ahdyojiak.  They were in the mountains weren’t they?”
         “Aye, and ‘twas I that found their
city.  And there, I didst fight a dragon who wast
corrupted by Marzac.  And there I didst die.

>>>Ah! A dragon in the mountains? Now that sounds familiar!

  And
from there, I wast brought here to this place to
watch, except when I hath been called to fight
again.” His face flickered in dismay, but the
moment was brief. “And also when I must be of aid, as I wilt be to
thee.”
         Jessica’s head felt as if it were
swimming. “What is happening?  What does Marzac want?”
         “ If by Marzac thou dost mean the
Underworld, then it art a simple question to
answer.  The Underworld wishes to feast upon all
life in our world.  The Underworld can only
thrive when it destroys.  But with the
Underworld, Yajakali hath enacted a dread bargain
that wilt cast all of us into the Underworld if none stop him.”

>>>The complete destruction of everything?

         “What bargain is this?”
         “That I hath no knowledge of.  The
greatest of minds hath pondered that very
question, but the answer hath eluded all of us to
this day.  But the moment when his bargain wilt
complete draws nigh.  When the stars dost return
to their places, Yajakali wilt hand this world
over to the evil darkness that didst give thee
chase.  To give so much, to tear the cleft so
wide, hast required more power than any hath e’er
held.  ‘Tis the purpose of the artifacts, and
‘tis why they hath been sent to places of great power.”
         “Kyia said the censer was tied to
Metamor, and she did not dare try to remove
it.  Is that what she meant?  The censer was linked with the magic of
Metamor?”
         “Aye.  When Yajakali doth request it,
all magic in Metamor shalt bend to his will.  And
that of Yesulam, of Ahdyojiak, of Carethedor, of
Ellcaran, of Boreaux, of Elvquelin, of Hevagn, of
Eavey, and of every land in which the artifacts
hath appeared over the millennia.  The casting he
shalt attempt must not be allowed to succeed.  It
art an abomination, a violation of the
fundamental nature of our world.  ‘Tis one reason
why he hath become a monster.”
         Jessica closed her eyes for a moment,
feeling her strength slowly returning as
promised. “Are you all right?” Marin asked.
         “I will be,” Jessica replied. “Is there
any power that can stop Yajakali?”
         “No power mankind possesses can do such
a thing,” Pelain answered, though there was still
a thread of hope in his voice. “But we wilt ne’er
be alone in this world.  Why dost thou think thy
art accompanied by three of the other great races
in thy journey?  ‘Tis not all of them, but they art the ones needed for
this.”
         “So what can I do?”
         “Thou must go back and journey to
Marzac. Thou must be there when Yajakali doth
return to consummate his spell.  Only when he
doth risk himself can there be any hope of
victory.  His servants, powerful as they may be,
hath but flesh and blood.  They wilt be
sacrificed as Agathe wast, and as Yonson, Jothay,
and Loriod wert before them, when it doth suit Yajakali’s needs.”
         “Jothay?”
         “The one in Yesulam to whom the Sword of
Yajakali was given,” Thulin replied.  He licked
his lips. “The Sword killed him to tie
itself.  He’s the one who betrayed Patriarch
Akabaieth to Zagrosek.” A fierce scowl filled his
face. “Had we known with whom we played cards...”
         “There’s nothing we can do about the
past,” Kaleas counselled. “If we can even do a
small thing for the future, we will now.”
         “Aye,” Pelain agreed.  He lifted his
helmet free, and Jessica finally had a good look
at him.  His features were, surprisingly enough,
familiar to her.  She had seen men of Sathmore
before, and there was something of him in
them.  But there was also something Pyralian too,
the hard chiselled edges and commanding stare
were too distinctive to ignore.  What he was,
there could be no doubt, was Suielman.
         Pelain knelt on one knee before Jessica
and lowered his head. “Jessica.  Thou art the
only one to come into our company that we might
share what we know.  I wish there wert more to
tell thee.  Know that the lives of countless men
and women who doth come before thee art depending
on thee to see their efforts vindicated.  Thee
and thy companions hath no greater task than
this: destroy Yajakali and forever cleanse this
world from the powers of the Underworld.”
         “I will,” Jessica replied. “It is what
we have been trying to do now for four
months!  We we’re headed to Marzac before we were
captured by the Breckarin troops.  I suppose
we’ll be continuing on our way now that we have been freed.”
         “My friends hath given thee two
gifts.  The first thou already know.  The second
be a collection of scrolls holding many of the
secrets of Ahdyojiak.  Do not use them until
Yajakali hath been destroyed.  He hast made the
Imbervand too dangerous to risk.  I now give thee
two more gifts.  The first I impart is a spell
that wilt aid thee in the lands of Marzac,
safeguarding thy spirit from the passive
corruption that infests all life there.

>>>Very helpful!

  The second is a warning.”
         Jessica took the scroll case from
Thulin, and rolled the small stone between her
wing claws.  She took a deep breath as she felt
the outlines of the protective spell begin to
coalesce in her mind.  How could he put the spell inside her like that?
         But what more caught her ear was this last gift. “What
warning?”
         “The Marquis du Tournemire hath planned
thy escape.  He dost expect thee to ride the Rheh
Talaran through western Pyralis.  His armies wait
for thee there, and they hath been given magics
to balk the Rheh.  Thou must find another way.”
         Jessica nodded and pulled the scroll
case to her chest. “I will.  Thank you,
Pelain.  And thank you, Kaleas, Thulin, Marin.  I
knew you had died, but I never knew you.  Thank
you again.  And thank you for saving me.  I wish
I knew how we are going to defeat Yajakali.  Is
there anyway we can free my friends from the Marquis’s cards?”
         “There exists a man who canst destroy
the cards,” Pelain replied. “But he hath ne’er
heard of thee.  And at this time, he lies beyond
the Vysehrad mountains.  Thou hast not been
claimed by the Marquis’s cards, and thou must not
be claimed by them, Jessica.  Not e’en to save
the lives of thy friends shouldst thou allow him
to claim thee.  But remember, the Marquis serves
Yajakali.  When Yajakali hath no more need of him, he too shalt die.”

>>>So it all goes back to Yajakali and destroying him.

         The answer didn’t really satisfy her,
but she suspected that was all she was going to
get. “I wish I knew what else I should
ask.  There seems to be so much to learn.”
         “Sadly, ‘tis all that we know,” Pelain
replied, frowning.  He stood up and held out his
mailed hand. “Thou hast thy gifts, and thou hast
learned what there be to learn.  ‘Tis time for
thee to return to the real world.  Come, I wilt show thee the way.”
         The three merchants stepped back and
each of them walked to a separate pillar.  The
air between the pillars felt thick, and she could
see a haze begin to develop.  Jessica stood,
finding her strength returned at last.  Pelain
stood just between two of the pillars and
gestured out into the jungle. “Thou sees
Ahdyojiak, but when thou dost step this way, thou
wilt return to the Tower of Theodoric.  It ‘twill
be no later than when thou didst leave.  If thou
art ready, step this way.  Thou shalt ne’er see us again.”
         Those last words made Jessica pause for
a moment. “Then know that I will do what I can to
save you from your prison here.” Pelain nodded,
and the merchants smiled, motioning for her to go
on.  The hawk took a deep breath and stepped between the pillars.
         The world spun for a single moment, and
a crack resounded above her.  And then the air
was clear, and she tumbled forward against the a
desultory mess of chalk lines.  Behind her the
familiar voices of her friends cried out in
pain.  She turned her head, seeing nothing but an
empty room, a single timepiece set against one
wall.  Behind her, through the shattered tatters
of the door, she saw her friends rubbing their eyes.
         Jessica leapt to her feet, dropping the
scroll case in her haste.  She leapt through the
doorway, and cried, “She’s dead!  Agathe is dead!”
         “Ah!” Charles cried out, falling over on
the floor.  All eyes turned towards him as his
body shuddered.  Jessica’s heart grew tight as
his stony skin drew back, the grey of tone
blossoming into colour.  First his clothes, which
had long been affixed to him, came loose,
returning to wool.  And then, his fur began to
move again, whiskers twitching, ears and nose a
soft pink. His eyes, once jewels of the finest
obsidian, grew limpid.  Every bit of the rat,
particle by particle, returned to flesh.  The
vine still wrapped about him, and for a moment it seemed to squirm in
delight.
         All eyes looked form Charles to Jessica,

>>>Typo - from not form - you really need to watch that one Matt. It's
the one typo you consistently keep making.

stunned and confused.  The rat stared at his paws
in wonder, rubbing them over his face.  The
bright Lothanasi symbols on his chest flared to
life in brilliant warmth, and then faded, but did
not disappear.  The rat blinked and began to
laugh hysterically. “I’m back!  I’m back!  I’m back!!”

>>>The rat is back!!!! One question - Is he still wrapped in the vines?

   Very cool section. You explained so much yet left so many questions!
And they still have a dangerous journey ahead of them. The hawk traveled
to some really wild looking places and came back alive! But one shining
moment - They killed Agathe! So many wrongs righted by that!

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:42 PM