[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XLV

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Wed Jul 4 20:16:43 CDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org
[mailto:mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org] On Behalf Of C. Matthias
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 8:01 AM
To: MKGuild at lists.integral.org
Subject: [Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter XLV

Finished just in time for AC, the next chapter!

Chapter XLV

Prisons of Breckaris

         The soldiers had no difficulty marching
the Keepers to the dungeons, as they were still
under the Marquis’s compulsion.  As if they were
but marionettes, they all marched amiably into
the dank corridors beneath the garrison at the
castle’s bailey wall.  And as though he were
feeling magnanimous, the Marquis changed both
Charles and James back to their two-legged
forms.  The naked donkey walked with a noticeable
limp, but his face betrayed none of the pain he
must have felt from his branding.
         The guards split them into several
different levels under Agathe’s direction.  The
Runecaster’s voice was angry and the guards were
quick to obey, their eyes the only ones filled
with fear.  Charles was glad that she kept James
and he together, and was surprised when she also
ordered both Habakkuk and Lindsey to follow them
down into a long corridor lit only by the
occasional torch.  The hall stank of mould,
faeces, and tar; no hint of the sea air permeated
this deep.  The cells were all along one side of
the hall, and they were shoved into the first four.
         Once the doors were slammed, Agathe drew
a rune upon Charles’s door, which glowed a bright
blue for a moment before fading.  The rat wanted
to grab her through the cell bars, but the
Marquis’s cards kept him firmly rooted in
place.  It was too dark to see her expression,
but the rat could make out the smouldering of her
empty eye socket.  He imagined she scowled at
them one last time before seeing to the other prisoners.
         They heard the guards leave the hallway,
but Charles felt certain they stood just
outside.  Somehow, he doubted subduing the guards
would be there most challenging task.  If they
could not even break free of the Marquis’s
control, then why bother even locking them behind
bars?  And why not kill them?

those are very important.

  The Marquis could
certainly have done so at any point; their
helplessness had never been more apparent.  Was
it because Qan-af-årael was not in du Tournemire’s deck?

>>>Now that might be an important clue.

         Unable to solve the many riddles that
surrounded them, Charles turned his attention to
his cell.  It was made from the same masonry
they’d found in the throne room, only these
blocks were still rough, and coated with a thin
layer of slime that he did not want to speculate
on.  The ivy pulled tighter around his body;
Charles wasn’t sure if it was afraid of the
mildew, or attempting to protect him from it.
         For many long minutes after the guards
had left, they stood frozen by the cards. And
then, without warning, they all felt the
compulsion leave their bodies.  Surprised,
Charles collapsed to the ground and took a moment
to flex his stony flesh to be certain he was
acting under his own will.
         James’s moaning voice brought his ears
up.  The donkey was using the warrior’s breath,
something Charles had taught him as a way to
manage pain.  Deep, slow breaths would steady the
body and allow the mind to focus.  James was no
expert and they could all hear it in the way he cried.
         “James, try not to think about the
pain.  It will heal, you will heal.  Pain and
fear will kill your mind as surely as a sword
will kill your body if you let them.  Remember what I taught you.”
         The donkey’s voice resounded faintly,
“I’m trying.  It hurts... they branded me like a beast!”
         “I’m sorry... I’m so sorry,” Lindsey
cried, but his voice was so low it sounded as if he were miles away.
         “Not... your... fault!” James exclaimed
through clenched teeth.  Charles heard him
crawling around, and then his breathing became
less ragged. “Ah... that’s better.”
         “What did you do?” Charles asked, eyes
studying the iron bars of his prison.  If not for
Agathe’s spell on the door, he would have already
bent the bars.  Or he could shrink down to the
shape of a true rat and slip through them.  But
he suspected that would be a bad idea.  The last
time he’d crossed one of Agathe’s spells he’d
become a statue, and only the intervention of a
pair of Lothanasi gods had given him a chance of
becoming flesh again.  And for that to happen,
Agathe had to die, which judging by their
previous encounters struck him as unlikely.
         “I put the brand against the floor,”
James replied after catching his breath.  He was
still wincing as he spoke, but not as bad as before. “It’s wet and
cold.”

>>>What about infection??

         “Good idea. Now do we have any that will
free us from this place?  I’m hesitant to do
anything because that witch put a spell on my door before she left.”
         “And you shouldn’t,” Habakkuk called
out. “I’ve seen this moment, or at least events
around it.  And if you do anything to that door,
or even try to slip through the stone around it, you will be lost.”
         Charles grimaced. “Is this the time you
spoke of when you asked me to trust you and not enter the stone?”
         “Aye, it is.  And there are other
things.  I once said I had seen a city, a father
and son, but I knew none of them.  This is the
city, and Duke Schanalein is the father.”
         “And the son?” Lindsey asked.
         “He was not in the throne room.”
         “And do you see anything now?” James
asked.  Silence was the only reply. “Zhypar?”
         “Nae, I see nothing.  Nothing at all.”
Habakkuk’s voice was empty, and that fact more
than any other brought the rat real fear.

----------

         “Where are you taking us?”
         Kurt kept walking, knowing Tugal was
right behind him.  Soldiers patrolled along the
top of the bailey wall, but they wouldn’t see
anyone who walked flush at its base especially
after dusk.

>>>They might want to whisper. The guards might not hear them but they
certainly can hear them.

  And that was where they trod, a
soldier and a serving woman, following the inside of the bailey wall.
         “The dungeons are beneath the old
barracks.  We’ll never get in through the main
gate, but there’s a servant’s entrance.  The door
is hidden on the inside, so prisoners will never
know its there.” He fell quiet at the sound of
boots overhead.  Tugal nodded and walked
lightly.  Beneath the servant’s smocks the Mother
Superior had supplied, she kept at least one pair
of knives.  Kurt suspected she had even more hidden, but he didn’t want
to pry.
         When all was silent but for the distant
cry of a hawk,

>>>AH! I know who THAT is!

 Kurt pointed towards a squat
structure of ancient stone and creeping moss lit
by torches and lampstands.  It was built into the
bailey wall, with only arrow slits for windows.
“Do you see the small door next to the gutter?  That’s where we go.”
         “No guards?”
         “There will be plenty inside. Keep your head down and say
nothing.”
         The door was fashioned from heavy iron
and did not open easily.  Kurt had been expecting
this; no servant entered the dungeons without an
armed escort; it took a trained soldier’s
strength to move that door. “Now remember,” Kurt
cautioned after he’d pried the door wide enough
to step through, “we don’t want to kill the
guards if we can help it.” Tugal narrowed her eyes but said nothing.
         Beyond the door was a staircase leading
down.  A single torch at the bottom of the steps
brought illumination.  Kurt motioned for Tugal to
slip past him while he closed the door.  He was
surprised that it made no noise; even the hinges
sounded well-oiled.  But he was not the type to worry over good fortune.
         With sure step they reached the bottom
of the stairs and were faced with another
door.  Tugal glanced at him and he nodded.  She
lowered her eyes and kept an air of meekness as
she pressed on the handle.  The door opened into
one end of a hallway with a set of barred iron
doors in the middle.  Two guards sat playing dice in front of the doors.
         One of them lifted his eyes and studied
them with a scowl. “I was told not to expect you tonight.”
         Kurt tried to hide his dismay. “I was
never told to shirk my duties, and I won’t on the
word of the gaoler.” He stepped further into the
light, allowing the soldier to glimpse his
officer’s uniform.  The guard’s eyes widened in
surprise. “We have important prisoners to watch,
and you two are playing games?” Kurt had a lot of
practice as the Duke’s son feigning indignation,
and he could tell it worked. “Where are the other guards?”
         “In the barracks above!  There’s no way the prisoners can
escape.”
         “I’ll be the judge of that,” Kurt replied. “What are your
names?”
         “Alaric and Einhard,” the first guard
said.  He gripped the pommel of his sword,
suspicion dawning in his face. “You’re too young to be an officer.”
         “And you look familiar,” Einhard added. “Have we seen you
before?”
         Well, that bluff failed.  Time for his
back-up plan. “Aye.  I’m Kurt Schanalein, son of
the Duke.” Their eyes widened in surprise,
familiarity becoming recognition.  Kurt smiled
affably.  It was time to treat them in the manner
with which he’d won the confidence of his fellow
soldiers. “Alaric, Einhard, I am not here to test
your loyalty, nor to question your devotion.  I
am here to see to the prisoners and to make sure
that more guards aren’t needed.  My father asked
me to do this only a short time ago, which is why
you have not heard of it.  Soldiers rarely do
hear of these things, something I know now that I have become one too.”
         Alaric and Einhard glanced at each
other.  Einhard took a step back from the table,
while Alaric gave Kurt an apologetic stare. “I’m
sorry your grace, but your father ordered us to
detain you and alert the others if you appeared.”
He drew his sword while Einhard took quick
strides towards the stairs at the other end of
the hall leading to the barracks above.
         Tugal immediately dropped her pretense
and dashed after Einhard.  The guard turned in
surprise, but fell beneath her weight.  One
dagger flashed in her hand and then Einhard went
still.  Alaric stared in horror before lunging at
Tugal.  Kurt drew his sword and put the tip to
the man’s neck. “Do not make me kill you, Alaric.  Lower your sword.”
         “Your grace...” his voice was angry but
he complied.  Tugal busied herself with Einhard’s
body, but Kurt didn’t dare risk a glance.  He hoped the guard was all
right.
         “Tell me where the prisoners are.  Tell me, Alaric.”
         Alaric closed his eyes, and then nodded
quickly. “There are four in the cells beneath us,
three below them, two more below them, and one more in the lowest
cellars.”
         “Where are the keys?”  Alaric shifted
his hips and a set of keys jingled on his belt.
“Toss them to the ground.” Alaric did so. “How
many guards wait below us?  How many?”
         “The standard complement,” Alaric
snapped. “I can’t believe you’re a traitor, your grace!”
         “And by this time tomorrow, I won’t be,”
Kurt assured him.  He heard Tugal pluck the keys
from the ground and begin testing them in the
lock. “Open a cell; we’ll put these two
together.” Alaric glared at him but did nothing
while Tugal found the right key.  After opening
the massive iron doors, Tugal dragged Einhard
through.  Kurt nudged Alaric meaningfully and the
guard followed them into the first row of cells.
         Tugal chose a cell towards the rear of
the corridor that already stood open.  Kurt saw
that the prisons were currently empty, a fact
that struck him as mildly disturbing.

>Why is that disturbing? The prisoners were released or killed?

  He had no
time to speculate, and gestured for Alaric to
join the limp form of Einhard in the
cell.  Alaric frowned and then buckled when Tugal
struck the back of his head with the hilt of her dagger.
         “Why did you do that?” Kurt asked in surprise.
         “You don’t want him shouting for help do
you?” Tugal replied as she dragged him into the
cell beside Einhard.  Kurt grimaced and glanced
at the second guard; he wasn’t bleeding, so she
must have knocked him out too.  Good.
         Kurt watched her efficiently bind the
two guards, and chuckled to himself. “Weren’t you
thinking of joining the nunnery this morning?”
         Tugal grinned. “Aye, but I haven’t been
baptised yet.” Kurt chuckled again and set about
checking the guards for weapons.  On Einhard he
only found a sword and a dagger.  Those he set in
a different cell.  Tugal brought Alaric’s weapons a moment later.
         “It will look better if I have the
keys,” Kurt pointed out.  Tugal nodded and handed
them over. “Now let’s free the
Metamorians.  There should be four of them on the
level below us, and only two guards...” Both
their heads turned at the sound of booted feet
running up the stairs ahead of them.  Tugal
clutched her knives tight, eyes narrowed, body
tense and ready for a fight.  Kurt held his sword
the way he’d been taught, hoping he wouldn’t have to kill anyone.
         Half a dozen soldiers poured into the
hall, swords drawn. “Lower your weapons and we
won’t kill your companion, your grace,” one of
them shouted.  How had they known, Kurt
wondered.  Had somebody been spying on him as
he’d been spying on his father?

>>>That's not good! Means other people know what he is up to.

  Well, there was
nothing else to be done, they had to fight.  He
could hear Tugal growling and saw a smile spreading across her lips.
         But it was not Tugal who answered
them.  From behind them a raspy voice cried, “Lux
Caecus!” A brilliant flash of light filled the
chamber and the six guards threw their hands to the faces, gasping in
pain.
         Kurt blinked the flash from his eyes,
while Tugal rushed the men, smacking them on the
head with the butt of her dagger.  One by one
they went down, not a one of them able to stop
her.  Kurt turned to see who had cast the spell
and was forced to blink again; not from the
light, but from the strangeness of what he
saw.  Standing just inside the outer doorway was
a hawk as tall as a man.  It regarded them with
alert golden eyes that missed nothing.  This had to be the missing
Keeper.

>>> Cool! But I knew she was nearby 2 pages ago :)

         “You.. You’re the one that got away from
the ambush,” Kurt stammered. “Thank you for saving us.”
         “Who are you?” the hawk asked in its
raspy voice.  Tugal stared slack-jawed at the
Metamorian. “I overheard you say you were going to free my friends, but
why?”
         “I’m Kurt Schanalein, and this is
Tugal.  We too are victims of the Marquis du
Tournemire.  I hoped we could help each other.  Who are you?”
         The hawk studied them a moment more
before saying, “Jessica.  My name is Jessica. What do you wish of my
friends?”
         So the hawk was a woman?  There did seem
something feminine in her voice and manner. “I
need your help to free my father from the
Marquis’s control.  He’s a good man and would
never do this if not for du Tournemire.”
         Jessica considered it and finally
nodded. “I will help, as will my friends.  Do you know where they are?”
         “Yes, but we must hurry.  That fight was
sure to alert every guard in the barracks.”
         Jessica squawked, and it took them a
moment to realize she was laughing. “I cast a
silence spell on the door here. Nobody outside can hear any of this.”
         Kurt grinned and breathed a sigh of relief. “Well, thank you
again!”
         Tugal kicked one of the unconscious
bodies and grimaced. “When do the guards change?”
         “Midnight,” Kurt replied. “We have about
five hours before anyone notices.”
         “Then lets make good use of the time,” Jessica suggested.
         “And fast,” Kurt added. “These guards
knew it was me.  We don’t know who else may know!”

         Before proceeding to the next floor,
Kurt and Tugal put the other six guards in the
cells while Jessica cast another enchantment on
the pair of iron doors to protect them.  They
would still be trapped, but with all of her
friends together, she was confident that they’d find a way out of the
prison.
         Once satisfied, the trio proceeded
deeper into the dungeon.  At the end of the
hallway, there was a turn to the left which led
to another hall filled with empty cells, while on
the right a set of stairs descended further
beneath the streets of Breckaris.  The stairs
were wide enough for two men to walk side by
side, so Kurt and Tugal went down at the same
time.  Jessica followed them as quietly as she was able.
         The stairs ended in an abrupt right turn
with a set of iron bars.  The door stood open,
and the guard station beyond was abandoned.  All
of them must have come when they’d heard Kurt and
Tugal above.  Beyond the guard station lay two
corridors, both of them lined with cells on one
side.  Down the darker of the two they found the first of their friends.
         Lindsey saw them first, and waved his
arm through the bars, calling out Jessica’s name
in a harsh whisper.  The trio came into sight,
and the Keepers flocked to their prison doors.
“Jessica, praise Eli!” the woodcutter added.
“We’ve been worried about you.  Who are your allies?”
         “This is Kurt and Tugal,” Jessica
replied, even as Kurt tried the keys in Lindsey’s
lock. “We have a mutual enemy in the Marquis.”
         “All mankind has a mutual enemy in the
Marquis,” Charles groused, even as he heard
Lindsey’s cell door open. “Good to know somebody else recognizes it.”
         They next came to Habakkuk’s cell, and
the kangaroo gasped when he saw them. “So that’s it!  You’re the son!”
         Kurt and Tugal glanced at each other in
confusion, until Lindsey grabbed Kurt by the
collar.  A dagger pressed into his groin a moment
later and Tugal hissed, “Put him down or you’ll never be a man again.”
         “If that worked, I’d welcome it,”
Lindsey snapped, but he set Kurt down
anyway.  Tugal, her eyes still confused, drew
back her weapon, but she did not sheath it.  The
woodcutter glared at Kurt, whose face was flush
with surprise. “You’re Schanalein’s whelp.  He’s
the Marquis’s ally!  What are you playing at?”
         Kurt straightened his uniform and
scowled, but not at the woodcutter. “The Marquis
controls my father with his cards.  He’s been
doing so for nearly nine months now.  I’m a
pariah in my own home, only kept alive because
I’m the sole heir.  I’m here to free you because
I want your help to free my father.”
         “He’s telling the truth,” Jessica said,
placing her reassuring wingtips on Lindsey’s shoulder.
         “We cannot fight the Marquis,” Lindsey
sighed. “We cannot save anyone from his evil.”
         Kurt frowned, but resumed unlocking
doors.  The same key was used for all the cells
in the hall, so he’d soon freed both Habakkuk and
James.  The donkey limped as he emerged, the
black brand visible on his thigh even in the
gaol’s dim illumination.  Tugal handed him a pair
of baggy pants from her tunic and he took them
gratefully.  He was still bare-chested, but at least he was modest
again.
         When Kurt approached the rat’s cell,
Charles bade him stop.  He held out his paws and
shook his head. “You cannot free me just yet.  A
spell has been placed on the cell door.  While it
lingers, you dare not touch the door.”
         Kurt blinked and backed away, one hand
making the sign of the yew over his chest. “How will we get you out?”
         “Go find the others and free
them.  Jessica can stay and study the
spell.  With luck she can break it.  Then, I
won’t need the keys to escape these bars.” He
grinned, and the Keepers grinned with him.
         “But what of James?  He looks injured,” Jessica objected.
         “It’s a brand, as you saw,” the donkey
muttered. “The more I walk, the better I will be.”
         “He speaks truth,” Tugal said.  She eyed
them warily, as if their presence was
uncomfortable.  Charles guessed that she’d never seen a Keeper before.
         “We’ll hurry back,” Kurt assured them.
“There are probably more guards below somewhere,
so be careful.” He set off for the other corridor
followed closely by Tugal.  The Keepers gave him
a bit more distance, as if they weren’t sure they
could be trusted. Charles hoped they could, but
after the day’s events, he was lucky he still knew up from down.
         Once they were gone, Charles leaned
towards the cell door and whispered, “Can you open it?”
         Jessica stared at something only she
could see for some time.  She would glance
between it and the rat every few seconds, but did
not acknowledge the question.  It wasn’t until
she lifted one talon and pried at the air that
she finally answered. “I think so.  It’s very
complicated, but I’ve seen far worse.  And from the same hand.”
         “Truly?  When?”
         “On his grace, Duke Thomas, when they
tried to turn him into an ordinary horse.”
         Charles nodded and grimaced.  He’d been
living at Glen Avery when that had happened, and
so he knew very little of it.  Misha probably
shouldn’t have told him - Andwyn may have ordered
him not to - but the fox didn’t listen very well
when the safety of his Longs was concerned.

>>>Misha is terrible at following orders.

         Jessica was using the short claws at the
tips of her wings and the toes of one foot to pry
something apart.  It was as if a giant knot that
he couldn’t see bound him inside.  Watching her
balance almost effortlessly on one leg nearly
brought a laugh to his tongue but he stilled it.
Instead, he turned his mind back to what she’d
revealed of the spell’s caster. “How do you know it was the same mage?”
         “There are features to the runes, a
style of drawing, that I recognize from the spell
on his grace.  It has to be the same mage.”
         Charles crossed his arms and spoke even
quieter than before, “If I tell you something, will it distract you?”
         She shook her head. “I’m almost finished.  What is it?”
         “I know who killed your master.  I know who killed Wessex.”

>>>VERY bad time to tell her.

         Jessica lifted her eyes, shock and
horror filling them. “What?” He could see the
agony of memory suffusing her.  It was like a
wave of sand sweeping across the desert rocks,
swallowing them whole one by one until all that
was left was the storm.  She closed her eyes and
took a deep breath, stilling that fury. “Let me
break this spell; then tell me.”
         “Of course,” Charles waited as the hawk
worked.  She was shaken, but she hid it well.  He
could see the slight trembling of her feathers,
but her wing tips and talons were sure.  Had
Charles been flesh and blood, he would have been
nervous, afraid that something would go
wrong.  But he was stone, and stone was very
patient.  There were certainly reasons to be
thankful that he was stone and not flesh.  But that time would soon end.
         It only took Jessica a few minutes more
before she visibly relaxed.  The lock in the cell
door clicked and the door swung open.  She
stepped back and took another deep breath,
exhaling slowly, wings and feathers sagging from
the effort. “There.  It’s safe for you to come
out.  Now tell me what happened to Wessex.”
         Charles cautiously stepped through the
doorway, but he felt no different.  He stretched
his fingers and toes, glad to be out of the
cell.  Then he turned back to the hawk and
pointed at the door. “Her name is Agathe; she is
the one who ensorceled me, my cell door, Duke
Thomas, and she is also the one who murdered
Wessex and reanimated his corpse last Winter’s Solstice.”
         Jessica stared hard at the door, and
then at the rat. “Agathe?  The Runecaster?”  Her
voice was distant, but there was steel
there.  Her eyes narrowed, simmering with an
anger that had long been set aside. “Is she still here?”

>>>Wow is she pissed!!!

         “The Marquis left her here to be our
gaoler,” Charles replied. “She is here and she is alone.”
         Her beak cracked in a predatory grin. “Alone?”
         “Alone.  I tell you this because you
deserve to know.  I saw her face; those scars
were made by Wessex. I don’t think Zhypar or
Qan–af-årael would want me telling you this, for
fear of what you might do.  Please do not
jeopardize the rest of us for revenge’s sake.”
         “That I will not do,” she assured him,
but the fire still smouldered in her voice.
“Still, if I have the chance to kill the Runecaster, I will.”
         “Good.  Now let’s find the others.  We
have yet to escape this prison!”

         The next level down had been free of
guards, but the one below that had a pair who
vainly tried to block their way.  Jerome, once
freed from the Sondeck sapping manacles, punched
both men so quickly that not a one of the Keepers
saw him strike.  He assured a worried Kurt
Schanalein that neither man was dead, but he
couldn’t promise that none of their ribs were
broken.  While Abafouq and Kayla did what they
could for their wounds, with Lindsey and James
keeping a ready eye open for reinforcements, Kurt
led the rest into the dark corridors slick with
mildew and pools of putrid water.
         “How can anyone stand guard duty in this
place?” Jerome complained quietly.
         Kurt shrugged. “We don’t normally keep
prisoners this deep.  Usually there are no quards
down here.  If Alaric spoke the truth, then there
won’t be anymore.  But I think he lied about
that.” Tugal nodded grimly and gestured to a side passage. “Here they
are.”
         They found Guernef squeezed into a cell
barely large enough to hold him.  In fact, it was
so small he couldn’t turn around; his tail swayed
back and forth through the bars, and his
hindquarters showed welts where some guard braver
than most had struck him with the flat of his
sword.  Despite his confinement, he was still an
imposing figure, and Kurt was quick to step out
of the Nauh-kaee’s way after opening the
door.  Guernef had to keep his wings tucked in
tight, but he managed to pry himself free.
         “Guernef, are you well?” Habakkuk
asked.  Tugal stared at him in awe, but not as if
he were a surprise.  It was as if she found his
presence here in the dungeons the startling
thing.  It was almost as if she’d seen a
Nauh-kaee before.  The kangaroo wondered at that,
and wondered at why there was something familiar
about her, but was too distracted to ponder it for long.

>>>Hmmm - now that is an important clue.

         Once free of the cell, the Nauh-kaee
stretched his wings, limbs, neck and beak.  His
white feathers and fur were smeared with the
mould clinging to the walls.  He glanced at
Habakkuk, dark avian eyes measuring him and the
two newcomers. “I am well.  Who are they?”
         “Allies.  Kurt Schanalein and
Tugal.  They’re helping us escape and can be
trusted.  Do you know where the Åelf are?”
         Guernef turned to Kurt and Tugal, and
squawked, “I thank you both.” Turning back to the
kangaroo he added,”I did not see where they took
Qan-af-årael, but Andares was led down this corridor.”
         The passage took two more twists before
they found him.  He sat in the last cell, yet
somehow managed not to dirty his trousers with
the mucus coating the stone floor.  There were a
few smudges on his tunic, but these came from the
handling of the guards, not his cell.  Other than
these, he appeared unharmed.  Like the Nauh-kaee,
he accepted their benefactors without
question.  But neither did he know where the ancient Åelf had been
taken.
         “He must be on the sewer level,” Kurt
reasoned. “Alaric was right about that much.” He
grimaced and stared at Guernef. “I’m afraid
you’ll have to stay up here.  The passages down
there are too narrow.  You might not be able to traverse them either,
Zhypar.”
         “We’ll rejoin the others then,” the
kangaroo agreed. “Jerome will stay with you.  There may be more guards.”
         “You doubt I could handle them?” Tugal
asked defensively, her hands curling around her daggers.
         “Nae, but you’re better off with him
than without him.” Jerome nodded in agreement,
but said nothing.  The answer obviously satisfied
Tugal, as she relaxed her grip. “Do not
dally.  Ours is a journey needing haste.”
         While Habakkuk and Guernef returned to
the stairs where Kayla, Abafouq and the others
waited and kept watch, Kurt led Tugal, Andares
and Jerome to a dark, narrow passage that turned
into a set of stairs descending even further
beneath the city.  The walls were coated with
slime, and so close together that Jerome’s
shoulders brushed either side.  A single torch at
the bottom of the stairs cast light into the
febrile gloom.  They could hear the steady drip
of water, and their noses flinched at the scent
of decay that lingered in the stale air.
         When they reached the bottom of the
stiars, their boots splashed in water.  Kurt was
expecting, but both Tugal and Jerome grunted in
surprise.  Peering down the long dark hall lined
with cramped cells just big enough for a man to
lie down and drown themselves, Kurt saw that
there were no more guards.  He leaned back and
whispered, “The city’s sewer system flows through
here.

>>>It must smell REALLY wonderful!

  There’s a sluice which lets us raise the water level.”
         “And drown the prisoners?” Jerome asked.
         “Sometimes,” Kurt admitted. “Sometimes
to clean this place too.” He started down the
hall, one arm covering his nose. “Only the most
dangerous are ever put here.” Although when they
found the Åelf halfway down the blighted hall, he
could not have appeared any less dangerous.  His
face was frozen in a peaceful expression as if
sleeping, and he did not stir when called.
         “Some sort of stasis spell,” Andares surmised.

>>>Shows how dangerous a threat the Marquis considered him to be!

         “Get him out and well take him to the
others,” Jerome muttered. “It must be a powerful spell to hold him in
place.”
         It took Kurt a few tries to find the
right key, but once they unlocked the door,
Andares lifted the frail form of the ancient Åelf
and hoisted him gently on his shoulder.  Tugal
was the first back up the stairs, followed
closely by Andares.  Jerome motioned for Kurt to
go on ahead of him, and the young ducal heir was
quick to do so.  The Sondecki gave the
water-logged hall one last glance before joining them.
         Jerome found the general emptiness of
the prisons eerie.  Even in Sondeshara, a land
where few would even consider breaking the law,
there were always some prisoners.  Not everyone
in Sondeshara was a Sondecki, and those intent on
breaking the law always seemed to think they
would never be discovered.  But discovered they were.
         But here, the prisons were empty but for
them and the piddling guards set to keep them here.  Why?

>>>Again - a very good question!

         When they found Kayla and the rest, they
saw that Charles and Jessica had finally joined
them.  The two guards were bandaged and locked in
a nearby cell.  All heads lifted as they neared,
but it was Jesscia who cried, “What happened to him?”
         “A spell of some kind,” Jerome replied.
“Can you do something about it?”
         Andares gently laid Qan-af-årael down on
the floor, then backed up to give the mages room
to study him.  Kurt and Tugal stared at the
Keepers, marvelling at how creatures so beastly
could still be so human too.  For Tugal it was a
real horror.  These were the very people she’d
been hired to kill.  She’d once seen all Keepers
as monsters, and was all too eager to see them
die.  But it had been her friends who were the
monsters.  There was something greater in these
beastly men and women, something she could no longer hate.
         Tugal withdrew from the group as the
hawk, the little man, and the gryphon all bent
over the strange old man and began studying
him.  The little man who was not a widget nodded

>>>Not a widget??? Do you mean wizard?

and muttered to himself, until the hawk’s words
caught their ears.  Golden eyes left the still
body and found Tugal.  What she saw shocked her
in a way the prisons had not. “You’ve been cursed, Tugal!  I see it on
you!”
         All eyes fixed on the woman.  Kurt stood
next to her, while she crouched defensively, body
tense and eyes wary.  Rather imperiously, Kurt
declared, “Terrible things have happened to her, but she is not
accursed!”
         “She means the curse of Metamor,” Tugal
admitted.  This hawk had the mage’s eye; there
was no point denying it now.  The Keepers all
knew what she meant. “And aye, I was a man once.”
         “What are you doing so far from home?”
James asked, even as the hawk returned her
attention to the Åelf.  Abafouq had glanced up at
her briefly, but did not seem
interested.  Guernef had not even turned from his examination.
         Tugal sneered. “Home?  I am not a
Metamorian!  I...” she took a deep breath and
several more steps back.  She clutched knives in
both hands. “I hail from Politzen.  An accident led to this.”
         Kurt had heard much of this already, but
from the look of embarrassment on his face, it
was clear he’d hoped that Tugal’s past would
remain secret.  Lindsey grunted at the news,
while the other Keepers listened curiously. “So
how did you end up here in Breckaris?” Kayla
asked, her voice filled with neighbourly concern.
         Tugal flicked her eyes at the skunk. “I
and several friends of mine were hired to kill
some Keepers.” They all tensed, except for
Charles would if she didn’t know better, looked
as unmoveable as a statue. “I never liked the
woman who hired us; southern, strange, withdrawn
– she scared us more than the elements, the
Keepers, even death.  I wished for death after the curse made me a
woman..”
         “You were one of the barbarians chasing
us through the Barrier Range,” Habakkuk said, his
voice quiet, even and without judgement. “What happened?”
         Tugal turned away from them and stalked
down the passage into the darkness.  Kurt swore
under his breath and chased after her.  The
Keepers looked at each other, none of them
knowing quite what to do.  Kayla nudged Lindsey’s
shin. “You’re the only one of us that looks human...”
         Lindsey scowled at her. “Mercenaries
from Poltizen were in Baron Calephas’s army when
he stormed my homeland!” He saw the irritation in
the skunk’s eyes and sighed. “Very well.”
         It did not take Lindsey long to catch up
with the two.  Tugal had only gone around the
corner, and Kurt was there with one hand on her
shoulder.  The woman was crying!
         “What’s wrong?” Lindsey asked, suddenly
feeling a deep sympathy for this woman. “What happened to you?”
         Tugal sneered at him. “What else do men do with women!”
         Lindsey nodded, understanding
dawning.  In a cold land far from home,
barbarians would enjoy any woman they could
find.  Lindsey had fought off several when he’d
still been a woman.  He licked his lips and
sighed. “I was once a woman, Tugal.  I
understand.  Nobody here blames you for what happened.”
         Tugal turned in surprise.  She wiped the
tears from her eyes, anger filling her
eyes.  Lindsey wasn’t sure if the anger was
directed at him or herself.  Kurt stayed by her
side, but he lowered his hand. “You were a woman?”
         “The same curse that struck you, struck
me.  I wish another had struck me.  I do not mind
being a man, but...” Lindsey leaned forward,
feeling awkward admitting this to somebody he’d
only just met, but he could think of nothing else
to say.. “I was in love, and now we cannot be
together.  It is not the same sort of pain, but,
it is a pain that slowly kills you over
time.  Especially since he is with us even now.”
         Both Kurt and Tugal stared at
him.  Kurt’s jaw hung open.  He closed it and
swallowed, but said nothing.  Tugal shut her eyes
and shook her head. “My friends raped me.

>>>Some friends they were.

  They
were delighted when I changed, and wasted no time
in taking me.  And she let them.  She let them...”
         Lindsey grunted and stroked his beard.
“How did you get from the mountains to
Breckaris?  We’ve been travelling constantly
since then, and I cannot believe how we did it.”
         Tugal took a long deep breath, stilling
the rush of emotions that had overcome her.  Kurt
took a step back to give her more room, but she
didn’t appear to notice. “She cast some
spell.  Took me to a place darker than
winter.  There were... pillars of some sort there.”
         “Pillars?” Lindsey asked. “That sounds
very strange.  And then what happened?”
         “Then we were here and she had me put in
a whore house!” Tugal glared at him again. “Is that enough for you?”
         Lindsey nodded. “I trust you. Now.  You
are more a victim of this Agathe than I am.”
         Kurt clasped his hands together. “Good.  Are you all right,
Tugal?”
         “Aye,” she gestured towards the hall.
“Let’s see if your friend is well.”

         It took much longer for the spell
binding Qan-af-årael to be broken.  It was at
least a half hour of nervous waiting before he
finally blinked. A few minutes later, he had
finally been able to move the rest of his body
again.  The mages did not appear winded, but they
were strained by the effort of undoing the Runecaster’s charms.
         Charles and Jerome had ventured back to
the upper levels of the gaol, with Kurt showing
them the way.  The guards at the gaol’s entrance
had woken up again, but neither had been too
eager to confront the walking statue.  The
Sondeckis risked investigating the barracks, but
could not get past the stairs before they
discovered that Kurt was right – there were far
too many guards to attempt that exit.
         The servant’s entrance was undefended,
but it left them out in the open in the
courtyard.  But the alternative would spill
blood, and that they wanted to avoid.
         By the time they returned,
Qan-af-årael’s recovery was well on its way to
being complete. “Good,” Charles said when he saw
the Åelf standing again. “That must have been a
very difficult spell cast on you.”
         Abafouq nodded. “I be seeing more
difficult ones, but not many.  The enemy be more
clever than a bear who smells fish.”
         Placid, the ancient Åelf opened his eyes
and addressed them. “Forgive me for doing nothing
when confronted by the Marquis’s degenerate
magic.  The eldritch power within those
manipulative cards can only be negated by a fire that I do not possess.”

>>>What fire is that?

         Lindsey rubbed his hands together. “Is
there any way to destroy them then?  I couldn’t
stop myself.  I tried!  I tried.”
         His smile was understanding, but sad.
“The hold he has over you can only be weakened,
never eliminated.  At least not by my power.”
         Kurt shifted from one foot to the other.
“But what of my father? The Marquis has left
Breckaris.  Isn’t there anything you can do for him?”
         Qan-af-årael turned to face the young
man and studied him for several long
seconds.  The others looked at each other, and
then back at him, wondering what he might
say.  There was a silent hope in the hearts, one
that only he could answer.  They were free from
their prison cells, but unless they could be free
from the Marquis’s prison, they may as well as
return to their cells.  They held their breath, able only to hope.
         The Åelf’s smile came only slowly, but
it filled them with excitement.

Aelf smiles it means serious trouble for someone!

 “Aye, there is
something that can be done.  But it must be done
quickly, and it must be done quietly.  Can you
lead us back to the castle without being seen?”
         Kurt rubbed his hands together and blew
through his fingers. “It will be risky, but I
think there’s a way.  Come on.  Night’s already
fallen, and somebody’s sure to check on the
guards soon.”  He led the way up the stairs, and
all of the Keepers followed them. “With luck we
can free my father and Bishop Hockmann both from the Marquis.”
         “And then we can deal with Agathe,”
Jessica added, the anger in her voice a simmering
cauldron of pitch.

>>>When she meets the runcaster all hell will break loose!

  Charles nodded to her, took
one last look around, and then followed the rest
of them up the stairs to the surface.  It was time to leave the goal.

>>>Lots of good stuff here. The next chapter bodes to be full of lots of
excitement as the group makes it’s way out. I can hardly wait!

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:02 AM