[Mkguild] Story: William and Emily - Part 4

Shazer Fox shazerfox at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 03:15:43 EST 2007

Here's Part 4.  Let me know how this is going...thanks!  :o)
 =

William and Emily - Part 4
 =

August, 710 CR
 =

                Thunder rolled down from the magnificent sawtooth of the Gr=
eat Barrier Range=97flecked with snow, even in August=97rumbling across Met=
amor Valley and echoing off the opposite peaks.  It broke into the quiet of=
 the woods before a sudden breeze rustled the quakies.  Birdsong hushed and=
 insects stilled, sensing a change in the weather.  Dark clouds marched acr=
oss the blue sky, eventually shrouding the bright afternoon sun.
                Shadows fell; a chill rode the wind.  The ancient towers of=
 Metamor Keep receded into the darkening distance.
                Rain spattered on the dancing leaves of the quaking aspens,=
 adding a rhythmic staccato to the smooth voice of the wind and the booming=
 bass of occasional thunder.  =

                It soon shattered the peaceful babble of a creek, creating =
a chaotic crash of sounds as water hit water, then rolled over years-worn r=
ock as the rain intensified.   Dust washed from the leaves of shrubs and st=
ones, the water brightening their colors as the rising steam brought dorman=
t scents from the forest floor.
                Thunder cracked nearby.  The warm summer rain grew to a com=
peting roar.  A giggle broke through the orchestral din.
                Saddlebags were quickly tossed under a rock overhang off th=
e road, and a couple, already soaked from the rain, ducked in as well.  The=
ir horse seemed content with the chance to cool off.
                Emily pulled her long auburn hair back from her eyes, curli=
ng it around her ears.  William knelt beside her, wringing water from his s=
odden tail.
                =93Just our luck to travel during the summer thunderstorms!=
=94 he said, grinning over at Emily.  The fair-skinned girl laughed, helpin=
g the fox squeeze water from his fur.
                She shivered, despite the heat of the day, trying to stay b=
ack away from the trails of water pouring over the overhang.  William gave =
up trying to get dry, putting his arm around her.
                =93Hopefully, I don=92t smell like wet dog,=94 he said, sco=
oting a bit closer.
                =93Not too much.  However, I think I=92m beginning to like =
the smell.=94  She leaned over and kissed the side of his muzzle.  He made =
a show of panting and wagging his tail, which sent Emily into a fit of laug=
hter.  =

                Her dress, thin for the summer heat and white, was soaked t=
hrough.  She found she had no embarrassment about it, though William strugg=
led to divert his eyes.  She appreciated his goodness, even though a part o=
f her wished he would give in.
                They sat in contented silence for several minutes, waiting =
for the downpour to pass.
                Her father=92s reaction to their engagement worried her.  S=
he could see William fret about the upcoming encounter, though he would nev=
er admit his unease.  Emily knew exactly what he would say.
                =93No daughter of mine will live in Metamor and be cursed. =
 No animal-Keeper can survive outside the valley.  This is nothing more tha=
n a foolish girl=92s fantasy!=94
                She looked over at William, his bright green eyes staring o=
ut into the rain.  She loved everything about him.  His stark red fur, the =
way his whiskers twitched to catch a smell, how his ears turned when she sp=
oke to him=97all were endearing to her.  She loved his strength of body and=
 of mind, of character and of charity.  His smile stopped her heart each ti=
me.
                Their uncertain and murky future wrenched her gut as they t=
raveled to her home.
                =93No, Father, it=92s not a girl=92s fantasy.  It is meant =
to be.=94
 =

*             *             *
 =

                The rain eventually passed, the dark clouds rolling away to=
 reveal a bright summer sky.  William and Emily decided to stay where they =
were for now, as the afternoon was wearing on and they wanted to dry their =
wet bedding before nightfall.  =

                Emily built a small fire while William set off into the woo=
ds with a bow and arrow, hoping to nab something more for supper than carro=
ts and sweet rolls.  He returned with a grouse and set to work dressing it =
for the pot.  As the sun sunk lower in the sky and the wispy clouds gained =
a golden frill, they enjoyed a tasty stew and exchanged jokes and riddles.
                Darkness fell and the sky cleared completely, with countles=
s bright stars shining overhead.  The green wisp of light that cut across t=
he sky from horizon to horizon, the Jewel Belt, was especially prominent aw=
ay from the scattered lights of Metamor Valley.  =

                They took what bedding had dried and made an extra-large be=
droll, just enough for them both to fit into.  William was glad his mother =
could not see him in bed with Emily, and Emily was grateful her father was =
not present.  Despite this, the warmth and feel of each other was exhilarat=
ing and comforting, and they found themselves lying awake, staring up at th=
e stars.
                William pointed to a grouping of bright stars straight abov=
e.  =93That there is Draegolis, the dragon that bore the world upon his bac=
k from the presence of the Gods to its place here.  Over there are Sedra an=
d Bethsandra, twin daughters of Gooth, god of waters, who is...ah, right th=
ere, between the two treetops.  There you can see Kammoloth appearing in vi=
sion to Lucien.  See how it looks like they=92re standing on the Jewel Belt=
?=94
                =93Yes,=94 Emily said, listening intently.  She relished in=
 the rural sound of his voice, how he drew out certain vowels and slurred o=
ther words together.  She stretched her legs out inside the bedroll, rubbin=
g the tops of his furry feet with her toes.  She listened as William descri=
bed more constellations and the legends they represented, wondering where h=
e had learned so much.
                Before she knew it, her eyelids had slipped closed, and she=
 fell into a contented slumber next to her love.  =

                She dreamed.  A man from the stars came down to their seclu=
ded camp and roused her.  His form was vague other than the points of light=
 scattered over his body.  Emily carefully extricated herself from Williams=
 arms and walked with the man deep into the dark woods.
                She felt no fear.
                =93Art thou not worried for thy future?=94 he asked her sud=
denly.  The light he gave off was like a bonfire built under the dark fores=
t canopy.
                Emily tried to answer, but her tongue would not respond.  S=
he nodded her head.
                The man, nearly faceless, pointed south.  =93The man will h=
ave a struggle living amongst thy people.=94  He pointed north.  =93And tho=
u canst live there lest thou be cursed.=94
                Emily wanted to shout that she knew this already, and that =
her mind was made up.
                =93Thou shouldst not fear thy future,=94 he said.
                Emily, despite her inability to speak, was struck without a=
 reply.
                =93There is no need to fear what man can do or say.=94 =

                He then looked up into the night sky.  Emily followed his g=
aze.  Suddenly, three shooting stars streaked from infinite blackness and l=
anded in the man=92s hand.  He held them out to her, three shining points o=
f light.
                Emily awoke with a start.  She was still lying next to Will=
iam, whose light snoring continued on.  She looked around the camp.  The ho=
rse seemed only mildly interested in her sudden movements.
                Slowly, her racing heart stilled and her breathing slowed, =
and she lay back down, resting her head on William=92s shoulder.  She ponde=
red the meaning of the words and images from her dream, trying to make sens=
e of them.
                =93Thou shouldst not fear what man can do or say.=94
                What did that mean?  Was he referring to the reception Will=
iam would receive in the southern villages, or the Curse?  Of course she fe=
ared the Curse!  Her plans for a life and family with William could be ruin=
ed overnight if she became a man or a child, or some ungodly creature with =
whom offspring would be an impossibility.  It would be devastating.  Even i=
f she became something less fearful, like the fox that William had become, =
how would her family react?  =

                At least, in that case, we could live a life in Metamor unm=
olested.
                Shaking her head, she rolled over onto her other side.  She=
 felt William stir and press against her back.  Emily decided to say nothin=
g of the dream, and hoped to forget it herself.  =

                Her plan was to stay as far away from the Curse=92s grasp a=
s possible.
 =

*             *             *
 =

                Two more days of riding passed without incident.  They camp=
ed in the woods just outside of Komley on their last night on the road.
                William was beginning to look a little nervous.
                Emily boiled the last of their vegetables with some salted =
ham, and they ate the stew with bread and cheese.  William made no mention =
of the journey ahead through the populated village.  In fact, he said littl=
e at all.  He quickly finished his meal and set to work preparing their bed=
ding.
                =93Are you feeling alright?=94 she asked him once they had =
settled down for the night.  The fox sighed heavily, resting his head in hi=
s hands and staring up at the stars.  =

                =93Do you really think this is a smart idea?=94 he asked.  =
His voice seemed to be directed more to the night sky than to his bride-to-=
be.  =93A few years ago, no one cursed like me would have ever considered m=
oving out of the valley.  In fact, I=92ve never encountered a tale of someo=
ne living in the southern lands.  Have you?=94 he asked, turning slightly t=
oward Emily.
                She shrugged.  =93Time marches on.  We=92ve lived in the sh=
adow of the Curse for more than a decade now.  People change; attitudes cha=
nge.=94
                =93There are far more merchants that come to sell in the Ke=
ep,=94 he said hopefully.
                =93And many of them are from these same villages.  What are=
 you so worried about?=94
                =93You cannot guess?=94
                Emily smiled at him, giving him a quick kiss on his furry c=
heek.  =93My father thinks you a decent lad!=94
                =93Yes, but will he give you away to me?=94
                =93Well, if not, we could....=94
                =93Emily!  I cannot marry a man=92s daughter against his wi=
shes.  It=92s just not....=94  His voice trailed off, ending with an exaspe=
rated breath of air.
                =93Proper?  There=92s nothing proper about our situation, y=
ou know?  Can you imagine what our children will look like?=94
                This brought a smile to the red fox=92s face.  His green ey=
es seemed to sparkle in the starlight.  =93I=92ve dreamed of them, Emily.  =
Nothing specific, mind you, but typically the Curse leaves children untouch=
ed, despite what one of the parents may be.=94
                =93That is really what you are looking forward to, isn=92t =
it?=94 she asked him, completely in love with his sudden enthusiasm.
                =93Oh, yes!  It=92s the only thing shoring up my courage to=
 speak with your father.  If it were not for my dreams of them, I would be =
running back for Metamor, tail tucked between my legs!=94
                Emily burst into laughter.  Her high giggle echoed through =
the quiet woods.
                William grinned wide.  The blankets around them danced with=
 his wagging tail beneath.  =

                =93Tell me about your dreams, William,=94 Emily said after =
they had fallen silent.
                =93Well, you know how little credit I give superstitions.  =
Even if they cheer me up, they are still only dreams.=94
                =93Dreams are important, Will.  Please, tell me.=94
                William smiled to her.  They both snuggled down deeper into=
 the bedding as the night grew chill.
                =93Well, like I said, there was nothing too specific.  Most=
 of what I remember is the number of children.=94
                =93Oh?  How many were in your dreams?=94
                =93Three.=94
 =

*             *             *
 =

                Emily insisted that they stop in Komley at the local inn fo=
r breakfast, ignoring William=92s many protests.  She claimed that it would=
 be a good experience for him.
                The stares that he had received from the morning crowds on =
the streets only continued once inside.  However, no one said a word to him=
.  But the dozens of pairs of eyes locked on him made William feel like a c=
omplete outsider.
                Well, I am, aren=92t I?
                They slid into a booth in a back corner.  Soon, no one paid=
 them any mind.
                =93See?=94  Emily whispered to him, gesturing to the twenty=
 or so people in the dining area.  =93They are a little shocked, but no one=
 has come running with their pitchfork.=94
                William snickered, nodding to concede the point to Emily.  =
=93Alright, not yet.=94  =

                Emily reached across the table and smacked his arm.  The fo=
x only returned a smug grin.
                A very rotund and hairy man came up to their table to take =
their orders, introducing himself as Herbert, the innkeeper.  He stopped de=
ad in his tracks upon noticing the odd creature sitting across from the dar=
k-haired girl.  Herbert paused for a moment, seemingly unsure of what to do=
, and turned toward Emily.
                =93What can I get y=92for, miss?=94  he asked.  Emily order=
ed biscuits and gravy.  The innkeeper then looked over at William, hesitati=
ng again, then turned back to Emily.  =93And for your, er....=94  He leaned=
 in to her.  =93Does he eat our food?=94
                William forced a laugh.  He sounded almost like he would ch=
oke on his own tongue.  =93I=92ll have the same as the lady, please.=94  Th=
e fox removed a few coins from his pants pocket and handed them over.  =93A=
nd we=92ll take a couple of ales, too.  =91Preciate it.=94
                The fat innkeeper nodded, suddenly looking embarrassed, and=
 hurried away.
                =93I=92m sorry, Will.  Maybe this was a bad idea.=94
                =93No, no...it=92s fine.  The poor man looked a bit chagrin=
ed, don=92t you think?=94
                =93I thought he would drop his towel when he saw you!=94  =

                =

                They took their time with the meal.  Eventually, the atmosp=
here of the inn returned to normal, though William remained very self-consc=
ious throughout.  They thanked Herbert for his delicious biscuits and gravy=
 when he came to offer more ale, and stood to leave.  He apologized to Will=
iam for any misunderstanding.
                =93You=92re from Metamor, right?=94 he asked him.
                =93Yes.=94
                The innkeeper nodded.    =93There be so many conflictin=92 =
tales coming out of the north, we simple folk know not what to believe!  No=
 matter what, though, =91tis a terrible shame, all the travesties wrought u=
pon your poor people of late=97=91specially the Curse.=94
                =93Many have it worse than I, sir.  I should be grateful, f=
rom what I=92ve seen happen to others.  Even members of my own family.=94
                =93Aye, lad.  We have heard tales of the battles, and the m=
any who died.=94
                William hung his head.  Horrible memories flooded his mind.=
  Herbert, surprisingly, put a heavy hand on the fox=92s shoulder, trying t=
o be of comfort.
                =93Have ye lived long in Metamor?=94 he asked him.
                =93All my life.  I was born there.=94
                The full-bearded man smiled.  =93As was I.=94
 =

*             *             *
 =

                Traveling through the center of Komley was a bit more stres=
sful for William, as the main streets were swollen with heavy market crowds=
.  Men and women pushed passed them, brushing and bumping as they browsed t=
he many carts and shops.  If they happened to notice William beforehand, pe=
ople tried to give him a wide berth.  =

                Stares aplenty, pointing fingers, mutterings and murmurings=
, and gaping jaws were all directed his way.
                William, his ears splayed flat, smiled sheepishly to as man=
y of the crowd as possible, hunching a bit to keep his height from making h=
im stand out even more.  He kept his big tail close to his legs, letting Em=
ily lead him through the town square.  He held the reins of the horse, whic=
h plodded along behind, oblivious to the throngs of people.
                He breathed a heavy sigh of relief the moment they stepped =
out onto a relatively clear street.  Emily could feel his hand shaking in h=
ers.
                =93Are you alright, Will?=94 she asked him.
                He nodded half-heartedly in reply.  The fur on his brow was=
 beginning to show a bit of wetness from perspiration.  =93I=92ve never rea=
lly been comfortable in large crowds.  Here, feeling like a horse in a chur=
ch, is much worse.=94
                =93Don=92t worry.  Leilwahl is a much calmer place.=94
 =

 =

                For William, the road left Komley in the distance none too =
soon.  It cut its way through thick pine and aspen forests, slowly gaining =
altitude before diving into a narrow canyon.  Here, the road climbed more s=
teeply, and followed the path of a tiny brook.
                The horse moved a bit more slowly, showing signs of fatigue=
 after the long trek from Metamor, but they arrived at Leilwahl by evening,=
 nonetheless.   =

                The village rested in a bowl-shaped valley, occupying the c=
enter on the shore of a clear lake, which drew its waters from the high spr=
ings  and glaciers hidden deep within the Great Barrier Range.  The most pr=
ominent feature of Leilwahl was the ancient church steeple rising from the =
center square, flanked by a few other aged stone structures.  The village c=
enter consisted of little more; most of the surrounding valley was farmland=
.  By this time of year, fields green with sprouts had become golden, most =
of it wheat, and ready for harvest.  =

                The cobblestone streets were damp following a summer rain. =
 William pulled the hood of his cloak up over his head.
                There were few villagers on the streets of Leilwahl this la=
te in the evening.  Those that noticed the strange fox-man riding into town=
 with the well-known Emily Blackham were shocked, to say the least.  A few =
cries of =93demon=94 and =93beast from the north=94 were hurled his way, an=
d he visibly flinched from each one.  As they rode past the old church, a m=
an dressed in leather armor came running from a building across the street,=
 shouting to them and holding up his hand.
                Emily recognized him as Walter Woolley, sheriff of Leilwahl.
                =93Off your horse!=94 he shouted, stepping in front of the =
animal.  Confused, the horse began to back off, but William pulled the rein=
s to get her to stop.  To drive home his point, the sheriff drew a broadswo=
rd.
                Once dismounted, the sheriff approached Emily, keeping his =
eyes and sword trained on the beastly creature standing next to her.  His e=
yes lit up when she pulled her hair away from her face.  =93Miss Blackham!?=
=94
                =93Aye, Mr. Woolley,=94 she said, resisting as Sheriff Wool=
ley tried to position himself between the two.
                =93Where is this thing taking you?  Does your father know y=
ou=92re gone?=94  He prodded the fox with his sword tip.  William raised hi=
s hands to his chest and took a step back.
                =93He=92s no =91thing=92, Mr. Woolley.  His name is William=
 Hall, and he=92s from Metamor.  I brought him here.=94
                =93From Metamor, eh?  By Eli, I ain=92t ne=92er seen a stra=
nger creature in all my life.=94
                =93Perhaps you should take a trip out of Leilwahl someday,=
=94 Emily muttered.  Walter Woolley frowned at that.  =93Really, sheriff, h=
e=92s of no harm to anyone.  Can you at least put down your sword and intro=
duce yourself?=94
                Sheriff Woolley looked hesitant for a moment, his red musta=
che twitching in thought, but he eventually complied and held out his hand =
to the fox.  William, with one eye on the weapon, took the hand.  The human=
 man looked a bit surprised upon feeling the paw pads and fur in his grip.
                =93I heard stories about Metamor, that there=92s some kind =
of curse placed on the land.=94
                =93Well, it=92s true, as you can see,=94 said William.
                =93Aye....=94  Sheriff Woolley took a long look at William,=
 from ear-tips to tail-tip, shook his head, then turned back to Emily.  =93=
I apologize, Miss, for threatening your...friend, here.  There=92ve been a =
lot of talk of strange beings making their way south from the Giantdowns.  =
You know, trolls and ogres and the like.=94
                =93William=92s no troll, Mr. Woolley.=94
                =93I can see that!  Quite interesting young chap, I must ad=
mit.  And handsome, too!=94
                William blushed under his fur and chuckled.  Woolley jerked=
 his eyes back and forth between the two, then suddenly erupted in laughter=
, pointing at them both.
                =93I know what ya=92ll are scheming!  I always knew precoci=
ous Emily Blackham would never settle for a local farmer=92s boy!=94
                =93It=92s true.  We=92re on our way to make the announcemen=
t to my father.=94
                =93Oh, best of luck to you both with that.  Ol=92 Douglas m=
ight not be too keen on the idea.=94
                =93Might I borrow that sword of yours, then, Sheriff?=94  W=
illiam asked.  Walter Woolley laughed heartily at this.  =

                =93I=92m afraid I can=92t help you with what you=92re facin=
g.  The church be close,=94 he pointed across the square.  =93Perhaps a bit=
 of prayer may be in order.=94  He laughed again.
                =93It was good seeing you again, Mr. Woolley.  We=92d best =
be on our way.=94
                =93Right!  Sorry for the misunderstandin=92.  If you need a=
nything, Mr. Hall, feel free to ask me.=94
                =93Thank you, sheriff.  I=92m glad to have met you.=94  The=
y climbed back on their horse and Sheriff Woolley waved them on their way.
 =

                They followed the main road out of town, riding through the=
 gently sloped countryside toward her family=92s farm.  =

                Though conversation had been sparse, William was wearing a =
smile on his face.  Emily asked what was on his mind.
                =93Simply wondering if I should reevaluate my expectations =
a little bit,=94 he replied.  =93Though folk have reacted harshly to me at =
first, it seems that once past the initial shock, they eventually look bene=
ath the fur.  It makes a man like me wonder if he could ever settle in a pl=
ace like this...live out his life in peace.=94
                Emily looked a bit surprised.  =93Settle here, in Leilwahl?=
  Are you really considering it?=94
                =93I already told you my thoughts on living in Metamor.  I =
won=92t see you cursed.=94
                Emily shook her head.  =93The Curse frightens me a bit, I m=
ust say.  You know, I=92ve always wondered how you looked before you became=
 a fox.=94
                William=92s eyes popped open wide.  =93Really?  Ha!  Well, =
I have to admit that I don=92t quite remember, though long red hair and fre=
ckles come to mind.=94
                Emily giggled.  =93It=92s just a fancy.  This face is all I=
=92ll ever know.=94  She ran her fingers over his eyes and along his muzzle=
, eventually ending with a kiss.
                William returned the motion, stroking her fare cheeks.  =93=
And this face is all I ever hope to see on you.  This is beautiful country =
here,=94 he said, waving a hand at the expansive farmland and soaring mount=
ains.  =93A pair like us could raise a family right in a place like this.  =
A man can be content here, and never care to venture away.=94
                Emily nodded, and they continued toward the edge of the val=
ley, seeing a lone stone house come into view. =

                This was it, the moment they had been dreading.  Emily said=
 a silent prayer to soften her father=92s heart.
 =

http://www.windowslive.com/connect.html?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_Wave2_newways_1120=
07