[Mkguild] Introductions Cycle 2.19 - Confronting the Shrew

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Tue Apr 1 21:06:33 EDT 2008

>            More laughter, raucous and tipsy,
> issued through the muffling curtain separating
> the kitchen from Walter’s tailor shop,
> prompting the confused hedgehog to
> investigate.  She knew one laugh to be
> Walter’s, but the other was an animalistic
> churring sound she could not place.  Drawing
> back the curtain was no more informative, for
> the source of the rapid-fire churring was
> seated with their back to the door.  The source
> was a skunk, but it was not Berchem the archer
> because he was markedly different in physique;
> not quite so broad of shoulder or heavy of frame.
> when Berchem could not
> immediately open the door he grabbed at it with
> both hands,” Walter was saying, modeling her
> explanation with expansive gestures.  In one
> hand she held a beaten bronze chalice, the
> other a pair of scissors like a door’s
> handle,  “braced his feet, and yanked for all
> he was worth.”  Walter took a draught from her
> chalice, eyes bright and merry, face flushed
> with considerable tipsiness.  “Of course, all
> that did was yank the stay pin out of the
> wagon’s rear gate, and the chock from under the
> wheels, when he hauled the door open, and you
> can imagine the results!  There was manure and
> slop everywhere!  While it was spilling out of
> the back of the wagon it started to rolling,
> knocked Berchem on his rump before he knew what
> had happened, and rolled right on over him,
> down the hill, and into Master Andre’s front
> door with the most almighty crash.”  Walter
> rattled a nearby footlocker with one foot,
> brandishing scissors and chalice emphatically
> while her guest laughed that hissing, churring staccato exultation of breath.

Two things in this paragraph: I think you mean
Justin instead of Berchem and Angus instead of Andre.

>            Anne looked sidelong at her
> typically acerbic, waspish wife, “A good cry?”
> she blurted, spines rustling under her apron
> and kirtle and looking toward the skunk.  She
> saw that he, too, held a beaten bronze chalice
> recently dusted clean.  He looked somewhat
> familiar, she had seen him about, and he had
> even come into the shop a few months
> earlier.  Walter identified him as Murikeer,
> but that meant little.  “Dearie, you haven’t cried since Justin left.”

I love the line about Annette's spines rustling
under her apron.  Good thing to note for a hedgehog!

>            Walter stepped aside as Anne sidled
> past her closer toward their guest, eyes
> looking him up and down.  “Justin’s son,
> Emily’s son.”  She said slowly, wonder crossing
> her face followed by a warm smile, “Their
> legacy, come back to us.” She held out a hand
> to Murikeer who reached up to grasp it, a small
> surprised chirp escaping his lips as she smoothly pulled him to his feet.
>             “Aye, our nephew.”  Walter beamed.

Ah, what a lovely story!  Thank you so much for
sharing this one with us, Ryx.  It is so nice to
see Walter Levins find some way to break past her bitterness!