[Mkguild] Calling Harvest Festival Writers

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Aug 8 17:30:33 EDT 2008

At 01:20 PM 8/6/2008, Hallan Mirayas wrote:
>Hey, everybody.  From what I can see, we've got
>Saturday crammed to bursting (this is good), but
>Sunday doesn't have much to it.  Anybody have
>any problems with a fireworks display to cap off
>the festivities?  Any other ideas?  We've got
>until until August 31st to polish this story up
>for the list, so let's make sure it's the best we've got!

Actually, scratch that.  I cannot upload my scene
to the wiki.  It says that no page should have
more than 200,000 characters.  We're going to
have to break the Harvest Festival pages up by
day.  I'm posting the scene in this email so
folks can look over it and discuss where it
should best go, and whether that gives us some good stuff for Sunday or not.

----------

         The sun had fallen behind the edge of
the Dragon Mountains, bathing Metamor Valley in a
warm scarlet twilight.  As the light began to
fade, lamplighters walked the streets to keep the
city illuminated throughout the night.  The
Autumnal Festival was in full swing, and
revellers would spend many hours yet celebrating
a bountiful harvest.  For one horse-like man, the
celebrations had not yet begun.

         Duke Thomas stood upon a balcony in one
of the towers overlooking the city.  At his side
was the Lady Alberta Artelanoth.  She was dressed
in a radiant gown of lavender.  Against her grey
donkey-like hide it made her seem to glow like a
Spring flower – a bit of life in the midst of
death.  But what truly made her glow was the look
of delight on her face, her eyes bright with
heady excitement from a long day of festival, songs, dancing, and games.

         The Duke's eyes fell upon her sublime
grace, noting the way her long ears turned from
side to side to capture the raucous singing of
Keepers below.  His nose drank in the sweet scent
of equine musk laced with delicate perfume.  His
hoof-like fingers reached out for the back of her
gown, feeling the powerful yet feminine muscles
beneath.  His tail flicked nervously from side to
side, his nervous heart pounding in his
chest   Thomas could have stayed the rest of his life in that one moment.

         In his younger days when his only
responsibility was learning the ways of
statecraft from his mother – his father had
passed on before he was old enough to have known
him – he had often wondered what it was like to
love another so fully that life without them was
empty.  Many times he had caught his mother
crying quietly when she thought none could see
her.  But all throughout his youth he had always
known that he would marry who his mother and Thalberg chose for him.

         He had met several girls that they hoped
he would be interested in; boorish ladies from
southern lands who had shown more interest in
pleasing mother than in him.  Thomas turned from
them all back to his studies.  It was not until
after he became Duke and Metamor was cast under
the yoke of the curses that this foolishness came
to an end.  Who would want to marry a man who
looked like a horse?  Even a prostitute would be
loath to sleep with a beast like him.

         But now, as everything that was Alberta
filled his senses, he knew what love was, and was
grateful that it had finally come to him
too.  She leaned forward, her hoof-like hands
gripping the marble railing tightly as she tried
to see some detail below.  The railing pulled at
her dress, drawing taut the lace across her
bodice.  Thomas felt his heart skip a beat as he
saw soft grey-hide flesh slip free.

         Swallowing quickly, the horse lord
gestured to the city. "My Lady Alberta, I can see
that you have been enjoying the festival."

         "Aye, Thomas.  ‘Tis a marvellous wonder
thy people hath made.  The songs!  The
dancing!  The shows of skill and the silly
plays!  Oh, ‘tis like a dream that ne'er ends!"
Her voice was filed with the wonder of all that
she tried to describe.  She smiled to him, and
Thomas stood taller.  Though he resembled a horse
and she a donkey, she was nearly as tall as
he.  She was more a Steppelands donkey called an
Assingh, and they were just as large as
horses.  They were found in no other land.  By the gods, she was beautiful.

         "And dinner?" Thomas asked.

         They had not eaten in private as they
often did.  Instead, Thomas hosted a banquet,
with Alberta at his side.  Jugglers and jongleurs
had provided entertainment to the assembled Lords
and Ladies of the Metamor Valley.  A few of the
Keep's younger mages even performed a few tricks
of their trade, making various lights and
illusions appear.  While it ‘rained' on them in
the hall, Thomas had given the caster, a familiar
lad named Kindle, high compliments for his
work.  Alberta had joined him in the toast, and
her words of praise were even more efficacious in
securing the applause of all assembled.  The poor
boy had been thoroughly embarrassed.

         But what had most impressed Thomas was
the look in his Steward's eye.  The alligator
Thalberg had always been suspicious of Alberta, a
fact that pained Thomas.  But over the last few
months, some of that suspicion was being
allayed.  And for the first time, Thomas could
see genuine affection and admiration in his
yellow eyes when he looked upon Lady Alberta.  No
other of his counsellors had she left to win over
now.  And finally Thomas felt he could do what he
had yearned to do for some time now.

         "Dinner wast lovely," Alberta replied as
she stood upright. "I wish the festival would
ne'er end.  ‘Tis silly though.  I wilt one day want to go riding again."

         "And I with you," Thomas replied, unable
to do anything but smile anxiously.  He fumbled
one hand into his breast pocket while she looked
away.  He held its contents tightly and put his
hand behind his back.  Nervously, he tapped his
wrist against the root of his tail.

         "My Lady," Thomas began , edging closer to her, "I love you."

         Alberta's ears folded back and she
blushed demurely. "I love thee too, my Thomas."

         "Not as Duke.  Not as a Hassan?  Not
even as a horse, but as a man?  As just Thomas?"

         She lifted her hands and laid them
against his chest.  Her snout lifted to his and
he felt her warm breath tickling the hairs of his
nose.  Thick, supple lips opened and she smiled,
her broad flat teeth still freshly white from her
transformation only four months ago. "I love thee
as Thomas, as my man.  Thou art nothing else to me."

         Thomas breathed an anxious sigh and
smiled as well. "I will always love thee, my
Alberta.  My lass.  My Lady.  You have stolen my
heart, and there is only one way I could ever have it back."

         "Tell me," her ears folded back even
more, and her eyes brightened. "My ears art thine."

         Thomas nodded and stepped back slowly,
letting her hands remain upon his chest.  He
shifted the ceremonial buckler and blade that he
had worn that day with one hand while he
knelt.  His knees were no longer quite the same
as when he'd been a man, but for this he would
manage.  His hooves scrapped against the stone,
but he could barely hear it over the beating of his heart.

           He lifted up his hand and held out a
large golden ring with a brilliant yellow diamond
and several topaz jewels in pavé.  Alberta stared
at it in shock, her chestnut eyes so wide that
the whites nearly showed.  With tender voice, he
said, "This ring has been in my family for
generations.  My mother wore it, and my
grandmother before her.  It has always been worn
by the Duchess of Metamor Keep.  And now I
present it to you, My Lady Alberta Artelanoth.  I
present it you as I seek your hand in
marriage.  Will you be my wife, Alberta?  I would
have no other stand at my side the remainder of
my days.  I could bear to have no other than you."

         Alberta reached down and cradled the
ring gingerly between her thick fingers.  He'd
had the ring resized in secret so that she could
wear it.  One of the drawbacks to being equine
was their thick clumsy fingers and hoof-like
nails.  Over the years Thomas had overcome that
difficulty, and already Ablerta was showing some
facility with them.  But she could not manage to
grasp the ring effectively then, even though she dearly tried.

         "Oh, my Thomas!" she cried, her eyes
beginning to brim with tears.  Her ears stood
upright, and her long ropy tail flicked
energetically from side to side. "I wilt be thy
wife!  There art no other man for my husband than thee!"

         Thomas smiled broadly and gripped the
ring carefully between his hard black nails.  He
then lifted his other hand and slid it beneath
her wrist, feeling the short fetlocks that
sprouted from her frilled cuff.  She held her
hand still and he slid the ring carefully past
her nail and over her knuckle.  It settled at the
base of her finger, and glimmered in the evening
twilight like a bright yellow star.

         Alberta brayed a short joyous laugh as
she admired the ring gracing her finger.  It fit
snugly, but not too tight.  Thomas smiled and
rose to his hooves, his hands framing her arm
between them. "My love, my sweet Alberta.  I
cannot tell you how happy I am right now.  I love
you and will always be here with you."

         "And I with thee, my love, My Thomas."
Alberta leaned into his chest, her hands clasped
tight between them.  Thomas held her, wrapping
his arms around her back.  The frills of her
dress rubbed between his shins, and it was all he
could do to keep from crying out in joy so that
all of Metamor could hear.  They would hear soon enough.  And then...

         Thomas nuzzled her ears and lipped at
them gently. "You know, that tomorrow there will
be a celebration unlike any other in recent
memory here at Metamor.  Perhaps ever before.  I
will announce our engagement at the beginning of
the festivities tomorrow morning.  There will be
trumpets blown, banners waved, voices raised in
cheers and song like you have never heard
before." He stared up at the sky for a moment,
his eyes wild with imagination. "It will be,
something I have never seen before either."

         Alberta lifted her muzzle and gently
lipped his cheek. "‘Tis for tomorrow.  Tonight, I
want thee.  All I want be thee, my love."

         A loud neigh escaped his throat at
last.  He swept her into his arms and in a flight
of fancy he carried her back inside.  She brayed
in merriment the whole way, her eyes never leaving his equine face.

         Together, the engaged couple celebrated
their newfound joy for many long hours.  And
tomorrow, all of Metamor would celebrate with them.  It truly was a happy day.