[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LIII

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Feb 3 17:36:30 EST 2008

And another chapter for your reading pleasure!

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LIII

Unsteady Seas

         At long last, the Magyars passed the
northernmost reaches of the Vysehrad and turned
their wagons south.  Before them stretched
eastern extent of the mysterious Åelfwood, and
with each passing mile, signs of human habitation
dwindled until even the remnant of the road they
had followed gave way to grass and
scrub.  Hanaman charted the best course he could
see through the growing wilderness, but at least
once a day, a wheel would become stuck in mud,
thistles, or a depression they hadn’t seen.
         In the two weeks since he’d spurned
Bryone, Grastlako saw her only when she left the
seer’s wagon to gather dinner for Dazheen.  He
stayed away then, not wanting to see her.  His
friends, Volay, Desko and Rabji all could tell he
was upset about something, and did their best to
cheer him up with tales of the Steppe and the
many places they had seen, and of their
misadventures, but these only filled him with a greater longing.
         Honour had compelled him to become a
Magyar, to do what he knew was right.  And for a
time, all seemed to be well.  He made friends
quickly, and the other Magyars all treated him as
one of their own.  But his eyes had ever strayed
to the seer’s apprentice, the delicate and sweet
Bryone, who never offered complaint or asked for
anything for herself.  Like a caged nightingale,
she waited for instruction, and every time he’d
gone to see Dazheen, her faced had brightened as if with song.
         But Hanaman had made it abundantly clear
that Grastalko was not to pursue her in
anyway.  Only a mage could wed a seer without
destroying her powers, and Grastalko was no
mage.  With his crippled left arm, he couldn’t be
much of a Magyar either.  Apart from startling
people by making the shrivelled remains of his
left hand catch flame, what tricks could he
perform to delight the audience?  He had a role
in the pageant, but other than that, what did he do?
         Well, once they found a town again,
Hanaman assured him he would be thieving, but
that prospect did not brighten his day.
         As the might trees loomed before them,
Grastalko sat atop his wagon staring at them.  By
tomorrow they would pass beneath those ancient
boughs.  He looked forward to seeing this forest
that the other Magyars all whispered about, if
only because it would be a change of
scenery.  Once they had left, he would spend the
rest of his life on the Steppe as a Magyar, hated
and despised by the townspeople, and not even
admired for any of his talents.  He was a cripple
now, and the one person he’d wanted to be with was closed to him.
         Grastalko beat his good fist against the
wooden seat.  One of the Assingh turned its ears
to listen as it plodded along through the mud and
grass. “Nemgas, why didst thee do this to me?” It
was his fault after all.  Nemgas had been the one
to give him a choice with swords.  If he’d never
touched the golden sword, his hand would never have been burned away.
         And then Nemgas just left them after
doing this to him, taking Gamran and Pelgan and
his other friends!  Grastalko hit the wooden seat
again and again until his knuckles hurt.  How
could he have done this to him?  Everything he
thought mattered in his life had been turned on its head!
         The wagon door opened beneath him and
the falsetto Adlemas poked his head out. “Dost
thee be well, Grastalko?  We didst hear thy knocking.”
         He sighed and nodded. “All be well.  We
shalt reach the Åelfwood tomorrow.”
         Adlemas stepped out the door and climbed
to the top of the wagon next to him.  He stared
at the trees not with longing but with dread. “A
dangerous place.  Hanaman wouldst ne’er take us
there if there wert another way.”
         “I heard that he didst ask Dazheen if
there wert a way through Vysehrad, but she didst say no.”
         “‘Tis an ill-omened year.  Nemgas
shouldst ne’er gone to the mountain.”
         Grastalko thought that an odd thing to
say.  He seemed to recall Nemgas saying something
about a mountain, but right then, he was too
weary to try to remember. “What mountain?”
         Adlemas made a sign to ward off evil and
whispered. “The ash mountain.  We didst warn him
it couldst only bring ruin, yet he went anyway,
and now we dost wander in foreign lands, and now
we wilt enter a forest cursed for Magyars.”
         “Cursed?” This was interesting. “How be it cursed?”
         “This forest be the home of great
spirits and strange people.  They art not like
us, and wilt take terrible revenge upon those
that come uninvited.  We shalt spend all evening
storing wood, for we dare not take any whilst in the forest.”
         Grastalko drummed his fingers on the wagon top and asked, “Why not?”
         “Hast thou heard the tales of Shapurji, greatest of all Magyars?”
         He nodded. “I hath heard a few.  Didst he go into the Åelfwood?”
         “Do not speak its name!” Adlemas
snapped, fear flickering through his eyes. “To
speak a name be to summon the one named.  Thou
dost not want the attention of this forest.  We
must cross it quietly, secretly, and quickly.”
         Grastlako glanced at the forest, noting
the boughs, many of whom had already lost their
leaves, and the many pines that still stood tall,
firm and green.  How could something so simple as
a wood instill such fear?  What had happened to Shapurji?
         “So what didst Shapurji do?  Tell me the tale!”
         Adlemas grunted and shifted on the seat.
“Thou shouldst listen well, young
Grastalko.  There once wast a Magyar named
Shapurji.  He wast a brave lad, and he hath a
terrible pride in his bravery.  All the other
Magyars admired him for there ne’er wast a thief
as clever, or a fighter as skilled as wast
Shapurji.  When one of the Assingh went lame, he
took the ropes and pulled the wagon in its place, so strong wast he.”
         Grastalko found the lyricism of the
words soothing.  His anger abated as he listened,
imagining this great Magyar, and what he must have been like.
         Adlemas leaned back, his voice almost
singing the words as they came. “One day, whilst
travelling through the area of the Steppe, they
ran out of wood for their fires.  Shapurji
assured the elder that he would bring them
warmth.  First he tried to rub his hands together
fast enough to warm them, but he couldst not warm
them all.  Then he tried to hunt down as many
game nearby, to bring their skins back to warm
the other Magyars, but he couldst not find enough game for them all.
         “Angered at his failure, Shapurji
proclaimed that he would challenge the spirits
themselves, and wouldst bring them enchanted wood
which would burn always.  He wouldst bring down a
mighty tree from the Åelfwood for the
Magyars.  And so, Shapurji set out with four of
his closest companions, Holbar, Roami, Khiakos, and Sorab.”
         Grastalko watched the Assingh as he
listened.  The Steppeland donkeys continued to
follow the wagons ahead as they passed beside a
large hill surmounted by a stand of solitary
trees.  The branches rattled in a wind he
couldn’t feel, as if screaming for them to stop.
         Adlemas noticed them as well, but
pressed on with the tale. “Holbar wast the
strongest of them all, and Romai a runner as fast
as the wind.  Khiakos wast the greatest of
swimmers, this in the day when the Steppe had
many lakes and many more rivers, while Sorab
could steal a hawk’s eggs whilst she was upon the
nest!  Surely no spirit could be a match for their cunning and skill.”
         He’d heard other stories featuring
Shapurji and his companions, and they were often
introduced with the same words.  Perhaps after
this tale, he could convince Adlemas to tell
another with a happier ending.  The look of fear
in the falsetto’s eyes suggested that this one would not end well for Shapurji.
         “Shapurji lead them into the Åelfwood,
intent on cutting down the biggest tree they
shouldst find.  They left early in the morning,
as they did fear what would become of them
shouldst they still be within that wood at night.
They searched and searched for many hours until
they found a tree worthy of their people, a
mighty pine as wide as all of them across.  With
all of their skill, they brought down the tree, and began to carry it back.
         “But they became lost in the
wood.  Nothing wast where it had been before, and
so they went in circles for hours, before night
fell, and they once more found themselves at the
stump of the mighty oak they hath fell.  There
they were set upon by an army of
spirits.  Shapurji and his friends fought
bravely, but for each spirit they struck, two
would rise in its place.  And so at midnight’s
hour, Shapurji and his friends were beaten and a
powerful spirit punished them for what they had done.”
         Grastalko eyes the woods
suspiciously.  Were those same spirits listening now?
         “Holbar, the strongest of them all, wast
turned into a bear.  Roami, the fastest runner,
wast made into a stag.  Khiakos, a swimmer the
likes of which the Steppe will ne’er see again,
wast made into an otter and banished to the
rivers of the Åelfwood.  Sorab the clever thief
wast turned into a raccoon.  But the worst would
fall upon Shapurji, for it wast his pride that
led them to enter that magical wood.
         “Shapurji wast placed upon the stump,
and before his very eyes, his feet became roots,
and his arms branches.  And then, he wast but a
new oak, one that wouldst grow to replace the one
he brought down.  The legend saith he wilt always
stand, his face etched in sorrow upon the bark for his crime.”
         Grastalko whistled and rubbed his
crippled arm.  The air had suddenly grown cold.
“Hath thee ever seen this tree?”
         “Nay,” Adlemas replied with a visible
shudder. “I hath ne’er ventured into the
forbidden woods, and that ‘tis why!  For it hath
strange magics and spirits that dost not wish to
be disturbed by men.  Especially proud Magyars
such as ourselves who might do them harm!”
         Grastalko didn’t think he was that proud
of a Magyar, nor much of a Magyar at all despite
his dress and speech.  Still, the story filled
him with a curious dread.  Did Shapurji’s tree
still stand in the woods, and would they ever see
his face in the branches?  He glanced at the
forest, but it was still too far for him to make
out individual trees, nor could he tell if any were oaks.
         “How long wilt we be in the forest?”
         Adlemas shrugged, averting his eyes from
what lay ahead. “I know not.  We hath ne’er
attempted a crossing.  No Magyar in all our
generations hath done such a thing.”
         Grastalko leaned back a bit, wrapping
his arms over his chest. “Then shalt they tell stories of us one day?”
         “Aye,” the falsetto replied, his voice
miserable. “And they shalt call us
ill-favoured.  But aye, they wilt tell stories of us.”
         Grastalko stared at the forest,
wondering if the trees dreamt.  But what would a
tree even dream about?  He held tight to his
curiosity, for it was the first thing that
interested him in two weeks.  He hoped he would
see Shapurji, and at the same time, he wondered what it was like to be a tree.

----------

         James swayed unsteadily on his hooves,
arms outstretched and clutching the paddock doors
on either side.  The donkey stepped back and
forth, ears folded back, eyes dreary as the
vessel rocked from side to side in the sea.  That
he couldn’t see the sea only made it worse.  But
after a week’s worth of sailing, he finally felt
like he wasn’t going to throw up.
         “Why don’t you try sitting down again,”
Jerome suggested for the fifth time in the last
twenty minutes. “The hay bales help, trust me.  I
spent my first trip over the sea like that, and I a Sondecki!”
         “How much longer before we land?”
         “The current is against us,” Charles
replied, not looking up from where he brushed the
comb through his Rheh’s tawny pelt.  The majestic
horse snorted in agreement, long tail flicking
from side to side with the hull’s motion. “As is
the wind.  I heard Captain Tilly this morning
speculate that we have no more than a week’s sail until we reach Tournemire.”
         James blanched, let go of one paddock,
and clutched for dear life to the second. “Another week of this?  Ugh.”
         Jerome shook his head and gestured with
one hand at the bales of hay stacked next to the
paddocks.  The Rheh did not appreciate being
stabled like common horses, but they consented
for their sake.  Each of them spent a bit of time
during the day tending to the steed that had
chosen them, and that seemed to mollify them.
         “Just think of it this way,” Charles
said, running the comb down his Rheh’s flank,
“how many people in your family have ever done anything like this?”
         “Gotten seasick?” James asked. “Not
bloody many.” He took a faltering step along the
paddock.  The donkey’s Rheh, the one with the
bell-shaped white spot on his golden brow,
stepped forward and nudged James along his
cheek.  Supple lips plied at one long ear, while
James lifted his hand and brushed down the Rheh’s strong neck.
         Soft words seemed to echo in his ears,
and the donkey listened to them, trying to pick
out anything intelligible.  He closed his eyes,
and as the voice rippled through him, the rocking
of the ship seemed to fade, ebb into the
background like a breeze stilled.  The hearty
voice, strong yet delicate, calmed his anxious
muscles, and his hand loosened its grip on the paddock wall.
         When James opened his eyes again, he
felt the seesawing beneath him, but he also
remembered the voice, and the words.  A large
green eye met his, and he felt a strange kinship
with the Rheh.  He lipped at the his steed’s
cheek, and felt the soft tugging on his ear
cease.  The head hugged him close over the
shoulder, and James finally gave into a laughing bray.
         “Thank you,” he said, patting his equine
friend on the neck. “I feel much better now.”
         “What was that?” Jerome asked.
         “Oh, my friend here helped me,” James
said, petting the Rheh down his neck, thick
fingers smoothing out the lush mane.
         “You don’t sound seasick anymore,”
Charles said as he started currying the other flank.
         “No.  I can feel the boat rocking, but it doesn’t bother me anymore.”
         “Good,” Jerome said with a sarcastic
grin. “Then we won’t have to hear your belly-aching.”
         “Or smell it,” Charles added with a laugh.
         James shook his head, chuckling under
his breath as he petted his Rheh.  The noble
beast nuzzled him and whinnied. “Let me get the
curry,” the donkey assured him.  Jerome, who had
finished currying his Rheh and had started
cleaning his hooves, tossed him a brush.  James
thanked him, opened the paddock door, and began
to brush the curry through golden fur.
         “You know, you were right,
Charles.  Nobody in my family has ever done anything like this.”
         “Sailing?” the rat asked.
         “More than that.  None of them ever left
the Valley.  I’m the first in at least three or
four generations to have gone beyond Metamor Valley.”
         “I’m sure they’re very proud of you,” Jerome said.
         “Maybe,” James added, a frown creasing
his snout. “My father never had a kind word for
me.  My mother tried her best, but there was only
so much she could do.  My older brother was
killed at the Battle of Three Gates, and my other siblings died as children.”
         “I’m sorry to hear that,” Charles said
softly.  The rat slowed his brushing.  All the
Rheh turned their ears to listen. “What of your
parents?  Are they still alive?”
         “My father died a year after Three Gates
— he fell off the roof and landed wrong.  Died in
my mother’s arms.  I’d run for the Lightbringer,
but I didn’t even make it to the Temple before he
was gone.  My mother passed away a few years
later in her sleep.  What I didn’t know was that
she’d incurred several debts.  I’d spent the last
three years trying to pay them all off, working
whatever job I could.  Until Nasoj attacked last
winter, I’d been working in a shop selling meats
and vegetables.  It paid enough, and they let me
sleep on a pallet in the back.  I’d managed to
pay off the debts, and was beginning to save some
money up when everything was destroyed...”
         Charles patted his Rheh on the neck and
leaned against the paddock wall, chewing at its
top a moment to sate his incisors.  When he’d
finished, he said, “I’ve known you for nearly a
year now, James.  I’ve watched you grow as a
swordsman and you’ve become a good friend.  I
never knew that about your family.  I’m sorry.”
         Jerome grunted and set a hoof down. “We
never really knew our families.  The Sondeckis
were our family.  Brothers, sisters, mothers, and
fathers.  Well, mostly brothers and fathers as
there aren’t many women in the Sondecki order.”
         “It’s just, I’ve always been a nobody my
entire life,” James replied as he worked the
curry through his Rheh’s hide. “It’s hard not to
think of myself that way still.”
         “You shouldn’t,” Charles chided him.
“You’ve killed a Shrieker.  You have journeyed
through the Great Barrier Range.  You have seen
the Binoq city of Qorfuu.  You’ve walked the
Dwema-tåi road.  You’ve been in
Ava-shavåis.  You’ve ridden a Rheh across the
Flatlands.  And you have helped save the life of
Duke Schanalein of Breckaris.  Apart from us, you
will never be able to name another person who has
done all of that, and I bet nobody else after us will do it either.”
         James smiled and stared into the green
eyes of his steed.  The Rheh stared back, and
that warm voice assured him it was
true.  Finally, he nodded and continued brushing
the magnificent horse. “Yes, I guess you’re both
right.  It just... ah, thank you both.”
         Charles, who had started gnawing on the
paddock wall again, laughed and spat out bits of
wood. “Hey, we have a long way yet to go.  Who
knows what else we’re going to face.”
         “True,” Jerome added. “We may yet all
die.” The Rheh smacked the Sondecki in the back
of the head with his snout.  Both the rat and donkey laughed.

         One person was sitting in the hay
bales.  With his papers strewn around his large
feet and tail, Habakkuk listened to his friends
speak in the long pauses between the far briefer
intervals when he would write on one of the
sheets.  There was so much he still had to do, so
many thoughts to sort out, he barely knew where to begin.
         He had nine manuscripts, most of them
sporting only a handful of words.  Only one of
them was even half full.  The kangaroo set that
one aside and took one of the emptier ones,
tickling his nose with the feather quill.  He
snuffled, breathing in the long lost scent.  The
quill had once belonged to a pheasant, but the
Keeper gentleman gladly sold many sturdy
feather’s to the Writer’s Guild each year.
         He closed his eyes, ears lifted and
turned to warn him of anyone’s approach.  The
Rheh shifted about with the rocking of the ship,
the two Sondeckis and the donkey laughed and
chatted of the wonders they had seen.  On the
other side of the hull he could faintly hear the Binoq’s insistent chanting.
         But behind his eyelids he saw a vast
emptiness stretching into the distance.  Lines of
thought and action emerged from that darkness,
streaks of red, yellow and green, intermingled
with blue shapes that moved along those
lines.  The jagged lines turned and twisted,
sometimes branching in a bounteous profusion like
wildflowers in a virgin field.  As they branched,
the lights grew dimmer, indistinct, until Habakkuk couldn’t follow them at all.
         He swivelled his vision, and the lines
became firm, bending in the distance as if
wrapped about a great sphere of unutterable
size.  Behind him, the lines and figures became
firm, fixed like nails in a signpost.  There were
no branches behind him, only intersections
between the lines, and places where lines simply
ceased.  Immutable and ever growing, the past
held no secrets but those that passed beyond the
horizon of his talent.  Or those, like the line
of the Marquis and of all those touched by
Marzac, that had been hidden from him.
         Habakkuk turned back around, staring at
the future, reading it with a clarity that
frightened even him.  All Felikaush of sufficient
talent were trained to read the skein of
history.  Usually little could be discerned from
that tangled web, but Habakkuk had always been
more gifted than most.  Not only did many visions
come to him unwelcomed and unbidden, but he could
produce visions if he so desired.
         But until now, those visions had always
been fleeting, and he’d rarely understood
them.  Only a year ago, the lines of the future
had been a mass of phantasms, a swirling
emptiness in which only some light shone.  Now,
everything in the world grew clearer, more
certain.  The future was never certain, unless
events were unavoidable.  Only the most powerful
and terrifying thing could direct the course of time.
         Staring into the future, a future that
drew every single thread of life into a solitary
vortex lurking at the edge of the horizon, scared
Habakkuk so that he might never sleep again.
         Each of his friends passed into that
future, and he could see their lines striving
towards that nullity.  Beyond the nullity there
was nothing.  No lines, no faint blue images,
simply nothing.  Habakkuk pushed at the threads,
knowing there was a way around this hideous
future.  He’d seen it before, seen flashes where
the threads of existence stretched and branched
anew.  But not every time could he find his
friends beyond.  One he knew would die, there
seemed no way to avoid it.  But was there a path
in time that could save the others?
         He pushed forward again, but that
emptiness, that vortex of nothing, reached for
him.  He screamed and tried to open his eyes.  A
hideous laughter, one gone mad, seemed to echo
endlessly back and forth.  Habakkuk thrashed from
side to side, clawing at his eyes to open his
lids.  Yanking backward, he screamed again,
whipping back and forth with his tail.  The
laughter ground him underneath like a mill grinding stones to dust.
         And then he fell off the hay bale and
landed on his side.  Habakkuk groaned, rubbing at
the soreness beneath.  The lines, images, and
even the nullity were gone.  He stood up, waving
a curious Jerome away, and straightened out his
tunic.  He searched amongst his papers, found the
right one, and with exquisite precision, wrote one more line.

         “I am thinking we have finished one,”
Abafouq declared as he lowered the pendant into a
small leather pouch. “Did you see any errors in the spell?”
         The Nauh-kaee crouched next to the
Binoq, his black talons deftly drawing diagrams
with coloured sands.  His beak opened, and in a
soft voice he said, “The spell appears exactly as
Jessica described it.  You are right, it is done.”
         “Now,” Abafouq said, running his fingers
over every bit of decoration they’d been able to
scrounge from their things and from Captain
Tilly, “we need to make ten more.” Their stash
included a several pendants of various designs, a
few yew trees, and even a lady’s locket that
Tilly had hinted once belonged to a woman of some
importance.  If he’d hoped to pique Abafouq’s
interest, he’d been mistaken, but both Kayla and Jessica had asked.
         He selected a pendant with a stylized
fish — one of Tilly’s — and set it in the middle
of the symphony of sands.  He rubbed his hands
together, pondering all of the intricacies of the
spell.  Jessica had told them all that she’d
known, but she spent her days up in the crow’s
nest keeping watch for the Whalish blockade.
         “The fish is a different shape, so I am
thinking we need to modify the lines.  The hawk
said everything should flow and all contours must be close together.”
         Guernef slid a talon through a line of
yellow sand, spreading it closer to the pendant’s
middle, but further at its ends.  Abafouq
followed behind him, sweeping up the grains he’d missed.
         “I hope it be not taking as long to
ensorcel the next ten as it did the first.”
         “It won’t,” Guernef replied.  Abafouq
didn’t hear any confidence in his voice, but that
was normal.  He never heard doubt there
either.  Sometimes he wondered if the Nauh-kaee were capable of indecision.
         “Then let us begin.” While Guernef
continued to rearrange the lines and curves of
the symphony, the Binoq began a slow chant under
his breath.  The fish pendant glowed a pale yellow.

         Captain Tilly’s quarters featured a
dining table with enough room for six, a row of
windows overlooking the sea behind them, a yew
tree hung upon one wall, and pinons with the
Breckaris colours and those of the Pyralian
kingdoms.  For all that, his bed was cramped in
one corner, and his personal larder of food and
wine appeared to be used sparingly.
         None of these concerned Kayla the skunk
and the ancient Åelf Qan-af-årael.  Sitting on
opposite sides of the table with a game board
between them, they studied the pieces and each
other.  Kayla leaned forward, long, stripped tail
curling behind her and over the top of the
flat-backed chair.  The Åelf reclined with
immeasurable dignity, his hand clasped loosely
before him, the pearl-skin unsullied by the salt
stains that slicked every bit of wood on board.
         “This is an interesting game,” she
admitted, her brow furrowing in concentration.
“There are ut so many rules, I’m having trouble
deciding if the move I want to make is even legal
or not.  I’ve never played a game where the rules
depend on the phase of the moon.”
         Qan-af-årael smiled gently, an
understanding smile of a grandfather to
grandchild. “Do not the rules of the hunter and
the hunted change during the nights when the moon
is dark, and those when it is bright?  Do not
your people know when to plant their crops by
following the guide of the moon’s silvery
gleam?  If our lives are shaped by the moon and
its course, why should we exclude our games from its touch?”
         Kayla churred and touched one of the
pieces with the tip of her claw.  She bent it
forward slightly, and then let it settle back on
the board. “Because it’s easier that way.”  She
lifted her claw, and took the piece next to it,
sliding it backwards a pace. “And not everything
in our lives is ruled by the moon.”
         “Each part of our lives is touched by
every other part.  Some of your people have a
saying, ‘Do not let the left hand know what the
right is doing.’  Is this not so?”
         The skunk nodded, sitting back some
wondering whether she’d made a good move or not.
“It’s from the Canticles of Eli.  It’s the Follower holy book.”
         “An allegorical statement, according to
the interpretations I have heard.  And it must
be, because the face is absurd.  Both the left
hand and right are connected through the
shoulders.  Their intent is connected through the
mind.  To prevent the left hand from knowing what
the right does would require one to be of two
minds, distinct to the point that they know not
what the other wills.  A person of two wills is
not really a single person, is he?”
         “I suppose not,” Kayla replied.
         The Åelf took one of the smaller pieces
— she thought of them as pawns — and slid it
forward a single space. “In the same way, the
moon not only directs a portion of our lives, she guides us at all times.”
         “You speak of the moon as if she were a
goddess.  Not even the Lothanasi believe that.”
         Qan-af-årael shook his head with a faint
smile. “No, I do not believe that either.  I do
not need to believe something is divine to guide
me.  Only that it was put in place by the divine
for that purpose.  And hence, our games, which
are meant to draw our minds closer to the true
purpose of the world, change based on the phase
of the moon.  A single game can last years, with
strategies developed one day to be used two weeks
hence when the moon’s phase has completely changed.”
         Kayla took one of the taller pieces and
jumped it three spaces to the side. “I hope you
weren’t planning to take so long with this game!”
         “No, this will merely be a diversion of
hours.  As I said, these games are far more
difficult than anything you would consider.”
         The skunk nodded, scratching one ear as
she pondered the board.  The Åelf moved another
one of his pawn-like pieces at a diagonal, this
time backward. “I feel like a toddler playing
chess.  It’ll take me years to learn the strategies of this game.”
         “Years?  It takes centuries amongst my kind.”
         “Well, how about this then,” she
suggested. “After you demolish me in this game,
perhaps I can teach you one of my own.”
         Qan-af-årael smiled, “I would be honoured to learn.”

         While they used his quarters, Captain
Tilly stood on deck, warily watching two of the
three passengers who insisted on being on
deck.  The hawk was safely ensconced in the
crow’s nest, but the young Åelf stood at the bow,
hands planted upon the wooden railings on either
side, and stared across the sea.  Sailors rushed
behind him, keeping the sail aright as they
forged into the wind, but he didn’t notice them.
         Beside the Captain was the northerner
Lindsey.  Lindsey scratched his long red beard,
and idly fingering his braids as he spoke with
Tilly. “Those clouds to the south do not look friendly.”
         “By the time we reach them, they will
have blown east,” Tilly replied with an air of
confidence that Lindsey thought wholly
inappropriate.  Their venture had never gone
smoothly, so why should it start now? “We have no reason to fear them.”
         “But we’re headed straight for
them.  Besides, I thought you said the wind was blowing north.”
         Tilly gestured at the sails snapping in
the wind. “Northeast,” he replied, returning his
hand to the tiller.  The sea was calm, but the
current buffeted them constantly, slowing their
progress.  To the west, a green line on the
horizon spoke of western Pyralis, the very lands that Tournemire now dominated.
         “Northeast,” Lindsey said. “That won’t
matter if we are caught out here in a storm and
with the Whalish patrols.  The rain only makes their fire burn worse.”
         Tilly eyed him suspiciously. “Have you
any experience with the Whalish fire?”
         “Well, for a number of years, the Prince
of Whales served Metamor as part of our
alliance.  He even made use of his fire during
the Battle of Three Gates.  I have seen its
effects, though I have never used it myself.”
         Tilly frowned and gestured to the Åelf.
“I am trusting your friend when it comes to the
weather, and your other friend when it comes to
Whales.” Here he pointed at the crow’s nest. “If
you do not believe me, will you believe them?”
         Lindsey grunted and nodded. “Forgive me,
Captain.  But those clouds make me nervous.”
         Tilly gripped the wheel tight and pulled
it ever so slightly to the right. “They make me
nervous too.  But your friend Andares has not led
me wrong yet.  I wish I could keep bring him for
all my journeys!  Your friends down below
frighten the men, but he gives them energy.  I do not understand it myself.”
         “Neither do we,” Lindsey admitted.
“Sometimes I think they are the most fantastic
thing about this whole adventure.  After seven
years living with animal-men, you take them for
granted.  At least inside they are still men like
you and I.  The Åelf... they are altogether
different.  They may look like men, but they are not.”
         Tilly grunted and kept his hands on the wheel.

         The crow’s nest was aptly named in
Jessica’s opinion.  The interior where a man
should stand was so cramped that it was better
suited to a family of crows.  The man who did sit
there had grease stains all over his clothes, a
beard that appeared to have been trimmed by lice,
and a tongue that enjoyed the vulgar.  He spent
the entire time regaling the hawk with stories of his sexual exploits.
         That is until Jessica threatened to peck
his eyes out.  He’d grown quiet after that.
         So while the man muttered to himself and
half-dozed, the black-feathered hawk turned her
golden eyes this way and that, scanning the
horizon for any sign of other ships.  Somewhere
out there the Whalish navy patrolled the
seas.  Their intent was to keep any ships from
nearing Marzac.  Normally she would have happily
supported their efforts, but their need was
greater.  They needed to pass through, and only
her eyes were good enough to see the Whalish navy
before they saw Captain Tilly’s vessel.
         Jessica let the hawk part of her brain
focus on the horizon, while the rest of her
pondered the many preparations still to be done
before they dared enter Marzac.  She knew the
swamp extended for at least a hundred leagues, a
distance they would have difficulty covering if
not for the Rheh.  Nor was the distance their
only concern.  There were innumerable dangers in
any swamp, at least, the books she had read had
assured her of this.  The Marzac swamp was
replete with every danger imaginable.
         And those were only the dangers to their
physical bodies.  The corruption that festered in
that swamp was the real danger.  The nearer they
came to the Chateau Marzac, to the castle built
atop the ruins of Jagoduun, the worse it would
get.  It would try to claim their very souls,
turning them into servants of an evil that
yearned only for the destruction of this
world.  She had felt that evil when she’d been
lost in the Imbervand, nearly made its slave, but
for the rescuing hand of Pelain of Cheskych.
         It still seemed so strange to have been
rescued by a man dead for centuries.
         Jessica stretched her wings, remembering
the talisman that Pelain had given her and only
to her.  She kept it with her things for
now.  She didn’t know why she alone had been so
gifted, but there had been an admonition in his
voice when he’d given it to her that she could
not ignore.  Somehow, it would offer her
protection in a way that the charms Abafouq and
Guernef were busy making would not.  And those
charms were made with a spell that Pelain had
given her, a spell whose intricacies challenged
even the most difficult of enchantments her
master Wessex had attempted.  She was glad that
the Binoq and the Nauh-kaee had volunteered for the task of learning it.
         The thought of her dead master filled
her briefly with a sense of rage, but it faded
almost immediately.  Agathe, the one who’d
brutally slain Wessex was now dead herself,
killed by her master’s final spells.  Jessica’s
wings fluttered at the memory.  Though it had not
even been a week ago, that event seemed to belong to another life entirely.
         Jessica snapped her wings back against
her back, the human portion of her mind suddenly
joined with the hawk.  There, on the distance,
something that was neither waves nor land bobbed
up and down on the horizon.  She focussed,
staring closely for several long seconds as it
grew closer.  Though it was miles away, she could
see the mast, the sail, and the hull.  A ship,
and out here, that could only mean one thing.
         She screeched loudly, flapping her wings
in agitation.  Within seconds she had the
attention of every man on the ship.  Even the
loathsome sailor in the crow’s nest stirred from
his slumber, took a seeing glass, and gazed at
the horizon where Jessica pointed.  He gasped and
shouted over the side, “Ship!  Due south!  It’s
Whales!  It’s the Blockade!  Bearing due north for us, Captain!”