[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LV

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Feb 22 22:27:23 EST 2008

This one took a little bit longer than I would
have liked.  I'm going to try to get two chapters done this next week.

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LV

Night Hunting

         Captain Tilly had known that sooner or
later, they would run afoul of the Whalish
blockade.  That a single ship bore north toward
them brought him no great alarm.  A single ship
they could avoid, possibly even outrun.  So long
as it remained a single ship he wouldn’t
worry.  But they couldn’t continue south.
         “Prepare sails!” He shouted. “Steady
men!” He spun the tiller, and the Tserclaes’s
nose swung eastward.  The mast followed the wind,
timbers creaking and groaning as the weight
shifted.  The Tserclaes tilted heavily to one
side, and Lindsey had to grab a bansiter to
steady himself.  Tilly smiled, the scent of salt
rich in the air and the crash of waves into the
hull a resounding clap of approval.
         “Good,” he declared when the Tserclaes
righted herself, the water churning as they drove
forward. “We’re reaching with the wind now.  This
will take us out to sea where we can manoeuver.”
         “Won’t there be more of them out to sea?” Lindsey asked.
         Tilly snorted. “Of course!  But the
Tserclaes can outrun any of them.  If we’re
lucky, this one will not even see us.  We’ll
thread the needle with he none the wiser.”
         Lindsey grunted and stroked his red
beard. “I don’t like it.  But you are the Captain
and know these seas much better than I.”
         “That is wisdom,” Tilly replied.  He
nodded to his first mate. “Take the helm.  I am going below.”
         Lindsey stammered and reached out a hand
to stop him, but drew it back before he touched
the Captain. “What?  Shouldn’t you be on deck?  What if we see more of them?”
         “Then I will return here.  But for now,
I must consult my maps.  Go assure your friends that nothing is amiss.”
         Lindsey nodded and after one last look
at the horizon — he certainly couldn’t see the
other ship — he climbed down the steps into the
hull and nearly tripped over Abafouq who was climbing up.
         “Oh, forgive me!” the Binoq said in his
queer voice. “I am not seeing you come down.  I
wanted to go taste the air after a long spell
casting.  Then we felt the ship turn.  Is something wrong?”
         Lindsey nodded. “Go back down.  I don’t want to tell it five times.”
         Abafouq nodded and the two of them
entered the hull.  Guernef stretched out to one
side, his wings bracing boxes of foodstuffs
stacked against the wall.  Intricate designs were
sketched across the floor, with the trinkets each
of them donated in separate piles.  The Nauh-kaee
had a foul look in his golden eye, so Lindsey
stepped past him, careful not to disturb any of the arcane symbols.
         The Rheh stomped unhappily in their
stalls, while Charles, James and Jerome tended to
them, their eyes looking his way as he walked
toward them.  The kangaroo poked his head up from
the bales of hay in the far back.  Charles stood
on his tiptoes and waved him closer. “We felt the
turn. What’s happening up top?”
         “Jessica sighted the Whalish Navy to the south.”
         “Oh no!” James said, ears lifting high. “Are they chasing us?”
         “It was just one ship heading north
toward us.  They probably haven’t seen us
yet.  Captain Tilly turned us east.  He thinks in
the open sea we’ll have a better chance of avoiding them.”
         “He doesn’t want to be caught between
the Whalish navy and the land,” Jerome suggested.
“He’d definitely have nowhere to go then.  I can
take over keeping watch on him if you want.”
         Lindsey nodded. “He went to look over
his maps.  Where’s Kayla?  Qan-af?”
         “In Captain Tilly’s quarters,” Habakkuk
replied. “Kayla expressed interest in playing that game of his.”
         “The one with the five thousand rules?”
Lindsey asked.  At the kangaroo’s amused nod, he
rolled his eyes. “She’ll probably be thrilled to
have something else to think about.”
         Charles patted his Rheh and climbed over
the paddock wall. “Well, I’m going to go
topside.  If we do have a Whalish vessel in
sight, I want to see it.  I hope we don’t have to
fight, but I will be ready if we do.”
         “You know the Captain doesn’t like to
have us all on deck.  You spook his crew.”
         “Well if we have to fight a Whalish
ship, they ought to be spooked!  Maybe they’ll
work faster.” The rat spun his Sondeshike a few
times for emphasis. “James, are you coming?”
         The donkey nodded. “Of course.  Let me grab my sword belt.”
         Abafouq tapped his thumbs together. “I
am thinking they might need magic.  I will lend what skills are mine.”
         “And I shall stay below,” the Nauh-kaee
squawked. “If they have need of my wind, send for me and I will come.”
         Habakkuk and Lindsey remained below
while Charles led Jerome, James, and the Binoq to
the main deck.  The rat shrunk his Sondesike down
and swayed back and forth as a series of large
waves rocked the Tserclaes up and down.  All
around them the sailors scurried through the
rigging to keep the main sail held straight.  The
heavy cloth drew taut as it caught the starboard wind.
         Kayla came from the Captain’s door, and
her eyes found them immediately. “Charles!  James!  Have you heard?”
         They nodded.  Charles said, “There’s a
Whalish vessel to the south.” He glanced over the
starboard side and shrugged his shoulders. “All I
see are waves and clouds.  But I trust Jessica.”
         The skunk narrowed her eyes, then gave
up. “I don’t see it either.  Captain Tilly’s
checking the coastline.  He boasted about knowing
it better than any man alive.”
         “That’s Captain Tilly,” Jerome remarked
with an amused grin. “We’ve come up in case they need extra hands to defend.”
         “If they have Fire,” Charles pointed
out, “we won’t do much good, as we’ll have sunk
before they close enough to board.”
         “I hope they don’t have Fire,” the donkey said.
         Abafouq rubbed his palms together.
“There may be something I can do about that.  Let me ponder it a time.”
         Jerome and Abafouq climbed up to the aft
castle, while Kayla, Charles, and James stayed
close to the stairs, trying to keep out of
everyone’s way.  At the bow, they could see
Andares still staring into the distance as if
lost in dream.  The sailors gave him a wide berth too.
         Charles rolled the Sondeshike back and
forth in his paws, his eyes watching the waves to
the south as they rolled in.  The ship was
travelling parallel to the waves, and with little
adjustments here and there, the first mate was
steering them through a trough.  Charles watched
as the crest grew and fell, ever threatening to
crash into their side, but never managing it.
         Finally, he walked over to the side,
followed closely by the skunk and donkey.  He
slipped the Sondeshike back in his tunic and
braced his paws on the railing.  He peered below,
and smiled as he spied a pod of dolphins keeping
pace with them.  James stared at them with some horror. “What are they?”
         “Dolphins.  They often accompany ships
as they sail.  Sailors consider them a good
omen.  I think there’s one Keeper who has become
a dolphin too, but he spends much of his time
with the other fishermen in the southern part of
the Valley.” Charles gestured to a pair that
leapt through the waves. “See their tail fin?  It
lays flat instead of up and down.  That’s how you know it’s not really a fish.”
         James nodded, and then nearly jumped
when the sharp cry of a hawk came from above.
“That was just Jessica,” Kayla assured him,
putting a paw on his shoulder to still the
equine’s nerves. “I wonder what she’s seen?”
         A moment later Captain Tilly stormed
back on deck, his eyes looking to the crow’s nest
above the main mast.  A voice rang down from
above. “Second ship!  Due southeast!  Bearing north with the wind!”
         Tilly turned to the Keepers and glared
at them. “What are you doing here?  Clear the
deck.  Now we have to really run.” He vaulted up
to the aft castle and shouted. “Ready the jib!  We’re turning around!”
         The Keepers held tight to the railing as
the ship began turning to port.  The ship tilted,
driving them up higher and higher.  James’s
hooves began to give on the wood, and he had to
wrap his arms twice around the railing to keep
from sliding across the deck.  The boom groaned,
and then swung from one side to the other.  James
winced at the sound of the ropes snapping taut.
         When the turn had finished, Charles spun
his head until he found the sun ahead of them.
“Steady as she goes,” Tilly shouted.  He stomped
back down the stairs and glowered at the Keepers.
“Get below deck!  I don’t need you spooking my men.”
         “What’s happening?” Kayla asked. “Are we heading toward shore now?”
         “Aye,” Tilly replied.  His stern
features grew darker. “Their ships are too close
together.  We now have to lose them in the shallows.”
         “Won’t we be trapped between the shore?”
         Tilly sneered. “I know this coast better
than any!  I will never be trapped there.  Now
get below deck until I need you!”
         Chastened, the trio of Keepers headed
for the stairs.  A moment later, Abafouq,
swearing in a tongue none of them knew, followed them back down into the hold.

         The horizon to the northwest was
uninteresting.  That much Jessica knew.  It was
the closest to the land, and the least likely
direction from which they could come under
attack.  Already from the south and southeast
they had two ships of Whales bearing down on
them.  At first, both ships appeared to be
conducting a routine patrol as they were sailing
north with the wind.  Bot now the ship to the
southeast had shifted course, angling to the northwest to intercept them.
         The unsavoury individual sharing the
crow’s nest with her proved that he was not put
up there because of his rank odour when he noted
the second ship’s course correction only moments
after Jessica did.  From her perch at the highest
point of the ship, the news seemed only to
emboldened Captain Tilly.  He stood at the wheel,
hands gripped so tight that his fingertips were
white despite the grime of the sea.  His eyes
stared forward, hard and resolute.  His crew
scrambled about, milling and yapping like so many
dogs who’ve caught a scent but cannot find
it.  In the midst of them Tilly stood as a
bulwark of certainty, the one calm in the storm
that news of the Whalish fleet had brought to the Tserclaes.
         Jessica scanned the horizon, looking for
signs of any other ships.  She stared eastward
for some time, and also northward.  But there was
nothing there to see except more waves.  She
glanced to the northwest, then turned back
south.  They had two ships chasing them, but that was it.
         Something didn’t feel right.  The
black-feathered hawk knew that Whales prided
itself on superiority in its Naval training as
well as its secret weapon, the Fire.  But there
was one other important detail that was often
overlooked when it came to Whales — no ship could
leave dock without their assigned mage.  This was
the reason they were able to communicate between
ships and coordinate over vast
distances.  Against wizards, the only defence was more wizards.
         She pondered what sort of strategies a
fleet with wizards might use.  Surely by now
other ships apart from these two knew the
Tserclaes was here and sailing towards
Marzac.  The Whalish fleet was extensive, so not
every mage who rode with the Navy would be as
talented as her master had been.  In fact, she
distinctly remembered Wessex refer to them as
hedge wizards who mastered a few tricks and
thought themselves all the cleverer for it.  But
even a trick would be enough against someone who wasn’t paying attention.
         Jessica turned about, eyes noting
everything on the horizon in all
directions.  That’s when it occurred to her — she
didn’t want to look to the northwest.  Every time
she peered that way, she felt an overwhelming
sense of disinterest.  Fighting the urge to turn
aside, she peered not only at the choppy seas,
but into the flow of magic.  Before her a cloud
of vapours surged closer and closer.  With her
wings, she drew runes, and let them float into
that cloud. The haze began to disperse, fighting
and trying to coalesce.  But she tore at it with
her magic, until at last it gave way.
         The agony of disinterest gone, she
turned her focus to piercing the veil that lay
over the sea.  She drew the runes with her wing
claws, sending them into the sea where they
boiled and churned.  Her breath held tight in her
chest, she glimpsed an image begin to appear
behind the air, as if clouds passed before it but only now broke apart.
         When she closed her eyes to the magic
and stared northwest, she saw it clearly.  There,
beating against the wind and bearing straight for
them, was a third ship of Whales.  Unlike the
others, this one would reach them in minutes.
         She squawked furiously, leapt from the
crow’s nest, and glided down to the aft deck.  As
she landed, she shifted into her most human
shape.  Captain Tilly eyed her unhappily. “What have you seen now?”
         “To the northwest!” she squawked,
pointing with her wing. “Behind a veil of magic,
lies a third ship!  They are almost upon us!”
         “What?” the first mate asked incredulously. “I don’t see anything.”
         “Show me through this veil,” Tilly said,
giving his first mate a quick glare. “Show me this ship.”
         “I may need help.  Pardon me.” She took
to the air again, and flew to the bow where
Andares stood unmoving.  The Åelf did not turn
when she landed, but he did turn when she shouted
his name. “Help me!  There is a magical veil hiding a ship to the northwest.”
         Andares turned to look that way, and
fought to keep his eyes from sliding elsewhere.
“You are right.  It does not want to be
seen.  Together we can break this.”  He held out
his hand, and she laid her wing tip upon his
fingers.  They were soft and warm against her
feathers, and she realized that she hadn’t ever
held hands with one of his kind before. “Show me
the spell,” he said.  She opened her eyes to the
magic.  The veil which she had pierced for but a moment had reformed.
         Before her a white sword took shape.  A
spectral hand grasped that blade and slowly it
slid across the heavens.  Jessica pondered its
arc even as she poured all of her effort into
holding that veil for him.  She stretched out her
wings, gripping its ends, keeping the miasma of disinterest at bay.
         And then with one clean stroke, the
sword drove downward, slicing through the veil
and shattering it completely. Around her she
heard the cries of the sailors as what had been
invisible was made plain.  Whales had found them
and had nearly snuck upon them.
         Andares sucked in his breath. “They will
be on us in minutes.  I must warn the others.”
Jessica stared at the ship, so clear to her now
that she could distinguish the sailors as they
scrambled over the rigging like so many ants.

         “I don’t care what Captain Tilly wants!”
Charles declared angrily as he pushed past the
Åelf. “I’m going on deck to help.”
         Abafouq nodded. “If the ship as close as
you say, my art may be of assistance.”
         Lindsey grabbed his axe and hefted it in
his meaty hands. “I hope I don’t have to use
this, but you’re right.  It’s time we did something too.”
         Only Habakkuk and Guernef remained in
the hold.  The rest of them climbed to the aft
deck, weapons in hand and paw.  And as expected,
Captain Tilly was not too happy to see
them.  He’d angled the Tserclaes to the
southwest, but the Whalish vessel was bearing
down on their stern.  Charles climbed the railing
and stared. “It looks to be gaining on us.”
         “I could have told you that!” Tilly
shouted back testily. “Unless you have some way
to give speed to my sails, then I have no need of you.”
         “If we could disrupt their wind,” Jerome
mused, “we would have a better chance.”
         Charles turned to his fellow Sondecki
and shook his head. “How?  Even if we throw our
punches, they are too far.  The force would dissipate at such a distance.”
         “Aye, but it is all I can think of.”
         Kayla gestured to the sails, “What if we
could destroy them?” She glanced at Jessica who
hopped back and forth on her talons.  The aft
deck had become quite crowded, and there was
barely any space for her to stretch her wings.
“Are there any spells you could cast?”
         “They have a mage on board,” Jessica
said. “I could try something, but I don’t think we want to start a war.”
         “Well you had best do something!” Tilly
snapped. “I may yet be able to outrun him, but he
will trap us between those other two.”
         Jerome rubbed his chin, eyes narrowed as
he studied the ship approaching. “Wind...
wind...” He tapped his foot and then snapped his
fingers. “Guernef!  Abafouq, go bring him.  He may be able to do something.”
         The little Binoq nodded and dashed down
the steps to the hold.  Tilly snapped, “That
great winged beast?  What can he do?”
         “Amongst his people he is known as the
Kakikagiget,” Andares explained. “In your tongue,
you would call him the Seer of Winds.”
         Tilly frowned but said nothing.  He
turned the wheel to wind his way between the wave
crests.  The Whalish vessel followed, nearing
with every moment.  Charles could even see the
individual sailors now.  He recognized the blue
uniforms of their navy, and the orange of their
marines who waited to board them.  In the midst
of the aft castle he saw the sombre glow that spoke of a fire cannon.
         And then, all around them echoed a
voice.  The mage. “Ship of Pyralis!  You are
sailing into forbidden waters.  Turn about and head north at once!”
         Tilly sneered and hunched over his
wheel.  Charles fidgeted, glancing at Kayla and
Jessica.  The skunk stared at nothing he could
see, while the hawk continued to bounce back and
forth on her talons.  Jerome paced lost in
thought, his hands grasping at things unseen.
James and Lindsey waited and watched the others,
unable to do anything themselves.  Andares had
the placid expression of a man undisturbed by the storm raging around him.
         As Guernef worked his large body up
through the stairwell onto the main deck, the
Whalish voice cried out again. “If you do not
desist in your course, we shall launch our fire
and sink you.  Come about at once!”
         “Whalish dogs,” Tilly muttered.  To his
men he shouted, “Keep the sail in the wind!  We will outrun them yet!”
         “Not for long,” Jerome whispered to
Charles. “I’d say they will be able to launch
their fire in perhaps a minute or two.”
         “Aye.” The rat turned to Jessica. “We
need to divert the fire somehow.  Can you do it?”
         She stared at the ship for a moment, and
then nodded. “I think so.  Andares, can you help again?”
         The Åelf nodded slowly. “I may.” He drew
his ivory-handled blade and angled it toward the
Whalish vessel.  Charles had no idea how this was
going to help, but he trusted that it would.
         The voice of Tilly shouting made them
all turn. “No!  You are not coming up here!  Get back down to the hold!”
         Guernef ignored him, and leapt up the
steps to the aft deck.  The first mate backed
into the railing and nearly toppled
overboard.  Tilly swore again, but his tongue
stilled in his throat when the Nauh-kaee turned
his predatory stare upon the flabbergasted Captain.
         “This is your last warning,” the Whalish
mage cried. “Come about or we will launch our fire.”
         “Are you ready?” Jessica asked.  The Åelf nodded.
         “Whatever you are going to do,” Tilly
said, his voice subdued but hard, “you had better
do it now.” To the rest of his men he shouted, “Make ready to bank!”
         Charles rubbed his paws together and
then put them on the railing, steadying
himself.  He turned to James and nodded toward
the railing. “You better steady yourself.” The
donkey grunted and did like the rat.
         “There it comes!” Jerome shouted,
pointing at a ball of fire arcing from the
Whalish ship.  It lifted high into the sky, a
brilliant sun of red and orange.  Jessica spread
her wings, while Andares followed the ball of
flame with the point of his sword.  The Keepers
watched them, and watched the fire as it began to
turn in the sky, no longer rising but descending towards them.
         Jessica drew her wings closed before
her, the black feathers stretched out like
guideline for the flame.  Her beak cracked open
slightly, and her tongue rasped, “Now!” Andares
dipped his sword low, the flat of the blade
gliding up underneath where they saw the ball of
fire.  And then, all perspective distorted,
Andares turned his blade and actually moved the
ball of flame as if it were but a pebble.  He
swung his sword to one side, and the flame shot
out to the east, before splashing and sizzling
beneath the waves.  It still glowed a brilliant
scarlet as it sunk into the depths.
         The sailors cheered at the sight, while
those on the Whalish vessel scrambled.  Their
sails furled, and they reached with the
wind.  Charles saw them preparing another
volley.  He turned to Jessica, “Can you both do that again?”
         “Maybe,” the hawk admitted, her eyes
weary. “But we caught them off guard.  The mage
will try to protect their flame this time.”
         “Can you destroy their sails?”
         “The mage has them protected against flame.”
         “But against pure wind and force?”
Jerome asked.  He glanced at Charles, and then to
the Nauh-kaee. “Could you give speed to our power?”
         Charles stood taller, knowing what his
fellow Sondecki meant. “The Longfugos technique?
Aye!  Can you project our force on your wind?”
         Guernef pondered for a moment then
nodded.  He spread his wings wide, nearly pushing
Kayla off the deck in the process.  The skunk
scrambled aside, as did James and Lindsey.  He
cracked his beak and glared at the hawk and the Åelf. “You’ll want to move.”
         Neither wasted any time.  Charles and
Jerome stood in front of the Nauh-kaee, arms over
their heads.  The rat felt his Sondeck flowing in
his arms, drawing strength from that reservoir
inside.  Before them, the Whalish ship began to
turn to intercept them.  On the main deck the
fire cannon readied the next volley.  He saw the
mage drawing runes upon the cannon’s
surface.  Behind him he heard the rasping chant of the white gryphon.
         “Now!” Jerome shouted.  As one, Charles
and Jerome flung their arms down in a
“V”.  Behind them Guernef thrust his wings
forward.  A burst of air rushed from behind them
so powerfully that Charles was flung off his
paws.  He grabbed the railing as he sailed
through the air, claws digging into the wood as
he slammed against the side of the aft
castle.  Jerome reached down and hauled him back up.
         Charles turned and watched that torrent
of air pummel through the sky.  The mage jumped
from the cannon and sketched runes in the
sky.  The sailors screamed and dove aside, one of
them struggling to free himself from the
rigging.  Charles swallowed, hoping that he’d
make it in time.  And then, just as the man fell
to the deck, the force rent through the main
sail, and the main mast cracked in half.  More
screams echoed as the top half of the mast
collapsed into the aft castle.  A trio of sailors
furiously closed the fire cannon before being
buried in the shattered remnants of sail and wood.
         The Breckarin crew cheered again as they
watched the destruction.  Charles felt sick to
his stomach.  He shook his arms as if he’d dipped
them in a particularly foul oil.  To the north,
the Whalish ship began foundering on the
waves.  He hoped they could still make port.
         “Well,” Captain Tilly crowed. “Forgive
my brusqueness of earlier.  If you can do that
again, you are more than welcome to stay on my bridge.”
         “We still have two ships sailing in from
the south,” Jessica pointed out. “And they have a
mage on every ship.  They’ll know to expect it next time.”
         Tilly nodded towards the sun.  Already
it kissed the horizon. “It will be night
soon.  And I know this coast-line better than
them!  What you just did will give them second
thoughts about getting too close.”
         “I doubt it,” the rat muttered.  He and
Jerome rubbed each other’s arms, the same look of revulsion on their faces.

         By the time they caught sight of the
shore, the sun had set and the night stars were
in full splendour above.  The two Whalish vessels
had lit lamps and stood out like bright beacons
behind them.  Tilly ordered all of their lights
doused, and had taken down all but their smallest
sails.  They crept south along the shoreline, his
eyes ever on the faint line that marked the
boundary between land and sea.  Though the moon
had risen a couple hours before sunset, the
eastern sky had grown choked with clouds and kept it blocked from view.
         Of the Keepers, Tilly had sent all but
the mages below decks for now.  Even Charles and
Jerome had been dismissed after Tilly had learned
that their trick would not likely succeed a
second time.  So they sat in Tilly’s chambers
with Qan-af-årael who sat pondering a game board
as if the events of the last few hours had never
occurred.  When informed of them, he smiled and
assured them that he trusted them completely.
         Those who stayed top-side were each put
to work.  Jessica and Guernef watched the two
ships chasing them.  A few spells allowed both of
them to see with the clarity of an owl in the
darkness, and they watched those ships intently,
taking short breaks every few minutes to make
sure that no other vessels followed
them.  Abafouq, Andares, and Kayla quietly
discussed ways they might cripple the last two
ships, all the while knowing that they would be
harassed all the way down then coast until they
were captured or they had gone farther than the Whalish fleet dared.
         The Pyralian coast comprised thick
stretches of forest broken only by the occasional
plain.  Jessica could see a paved road a mile
inland, though only when the trees broke long
enough for her to catch its faint sheen.  Squalid
shacks occasionally appeared amidst the thickets
and reeds along the shore-line, but otherwise the
area was empty of human inhabitation.  And those
few humans who did live here made no sign of
themselves that night.  If they heard the
Tserclaes pass, neither Jessica nor the crew would ever know.
         The two Whalish ships were still farther
off than the one that Charles and Jerome had
crippled with their Sondecki powers.  But they
were close enough that Jessica could see the
difference between the Captain, the mage, and the
rest of the crew.  The southernmost ship also had
a fire cannon, but the northern did not.  It
surprised her that they did not bother dousing
their lights, but she supposed they had some
reason.  Surely they could not be so foolish as
to expect to sneak up on them now.
         And then, just as the thought came to
her, both ships doused their lights. “Captain!” she cried.
         When he turned, he blinked and asked, “Where did they go?”
         “They’ve doused their lights.”
         “Can you still see them?” She nodded.
“Then alert me when they change course.  They
would only risk the darkness if that was their intent.”
         “Where are we going?” Kayla asked,
nervously staring at the coastline.  Her eyesight
was better than most at night, but even she had a
hard time telling just how close the Tserclaes
came to the water’s edge.  If Tilly wasn’t
careful, he would ground the ship and then they
would be forced to disembark in lands where the
Marquis’s forces still held sway.
         “Another mile and you will see,” Tilly
replied.  He turned the wheel slightly to the
left, and the ship pulled out from the
coast.  Kayla saw a rock rippling just beneath
the surface, one that she could never have seen
from the aft deck.  How had Tilly?  As if sensing
the skunk’s question he said, “I told you, I know
the coasts of Pyralis.  I can tell you that not
three miles inland is a village with an Inn known
in western Pyralis for frying crawfish in nearly every meal.”
         Kayla had eaten crawfish a time or two
before with Rickkter when he’d treated her to a
very good meal.  Her stomach growled at the mere
mention of fried crawfish, much to her chagrin.
         Seeing that she could do nothing, she
turned back to Andares and Abafouq who sat on
deck, their heads low in conversation.  Abafouq
smiled to her and waved her closer.  She crept
carefully on the planks, and rubbed her sensitive
nose for the five hundredth time since they’d set sail. “Have you any ideas?”
         “They will chase us until they capture
us or destroy us,” Andares replied solemnly. “And
we should not seek to destroy them.  Just
breaking the mast of the third ship rendered the Sondeckis ill.”
         “They violated their magic,” Abafouq
said. “Charles told me that the Sondeck can only
be used for just ends, else it turns on its user.”
         “Just so.” Andares laid his sword in his
lap and ran one finger along its length.  Kayla
felt a throbbing at her hip and put one paw on
the katana.  Clymaethera, the dragon in the
sword, was restless.  She’d barely used her when
they’d been ambushed in the forest north of
Breckaris, and here, with the threat of action
imminent, she had to remain untouched.  No wonder the dragon was irritable!
         “So how do we rid ourselves of those
ships if they will chase us anywhere?” Kayla
blinked and then began to smile.  A sudden memory
of Rickkter’s pupil, the one who had also been a
skunk and she’d always thought had a special
fondness for her, showed her the
answer.  Murikeer, her lover’s student, had been
especially gifted with illusions.
         Patting the katana and churring she
motioned them both closer. “Illusion!  What if
they see us sailing north, or perhaps striking
out between them?  Won’t they follow the illusion?”
         Abafouq pondered it but didn’t sound
convinced. “They have mages, and I am thinking
they will see through any illusion.”
         “Not if it’s strong enough,” Kayla
insisted. “Surely your master can effect such a
charm.” She turned to the Åelf and stared at him with eager eyes.
         He returned her gaze with unperturbed
calm.  With one hand he pulled back his black
hair, better exposing his pearl-grey skin to the
feeble light of the stars.  He leaned back his
head, and if not for his closed eyes, it appeared
that he studied the heavens intently to find an answer to some cosmic question.
         Finally, he looked back at the two of
them and shook his head. “Yes, he could do this
very easily, but his strength must be held for
only those times when we alone cannot act.  The five of us must be enough.”
         Abafouq reached into his bet pouch and
removed a small pellet.  He rolled it around in
his hand and then turned to the man at the wheel.
“Captain Tilly.  I would like to ask a question of you.”
         Tilly didn’t turn, but he did nod. “Go ahead.”
         “We are thinking to use an illusion to
make your boat... how would it be said... look
elsewhere?  Yes, we want to make this boat seem
to be elsewhere.  For that, we need to draw on your deck.”
         “Spells?  Draw what you wish.  But I have my own plan to lose them.”
         Jessica turned from her observation of
the two ships and asked, “What’s that?”
         Tilly pointed ahead towards a dense
thicket of trees.  Jessica peered closer and
could see a narrow river emptying out into the
sea.  A little further down the coast she saw
another.  It took her a moment to realize what
she was looking at. “A river delta?”
         Tilly nodded. “We can hide there and
they won’t find us.  And they don’t dare use
their fire.  If they will face us, they face us hand to hand.”
         “We are not trying to start a war,”
Kayla reminded him, far too much heat in her
voice. “Hide if you will, but we are going to use an illusion.”
         While Abafouq began sketching along the
deck with his marking stone, explaining to the
skunk in a quiet whisper what each line
signified, Jessica returned her gaze to the two
ships.  The northern ship had changed course,
turning slightly south to avoid nearing the
coast.  The southern ship continued west, but it
would need to change course soon.
         Jessica swivelled her head to warn the
Captain, but held her tongue when she saw him
concentrate on the wheel.  Tilly angled the ship
away from the shore.  In a moment he’d take them
into the delta.  Now she’d risk interrupting him.
“Captain?  The northern ship has turned south.”
         “How far are they from shore?”
         “A quarter of a mile.  Maybe a third.”
Jessica shook her head. “It’s hard to tell, even with my eyes.”
         “How goes your illusion?”
         Abafouq piped up, “Ready soon, ready very soon.”
         “Hold on, I’m taking us into the delta.”
Tilly spun the wheel, and the ship groaned as it
banked to the right.  The world twisted around
them, the dark stands of trees rising up out of
the churning froth.  Abafouq swore under his
breath, but he managed not to stumble over his
lines.  The sailors seemed to know what to do, as
they formed in lines along either railing and
extended oars.  As the last of the sail was
brought in, the sailors began to row against the
river’s current.  With each stroke, the Tserclaes
pushed further into the river delta.
         On every side the trees began to spread
their leafy boughs around them.  Jessica cursed
to herself as she lost sight of both
vessels.  She shifted down to her animal form and
flew up to the crow’s nest.  From there she could
see them, but only barely.  The tree tops were
tall enough that they would effectively hide their ship.
         But she saw something more.  It was
faint at first, but as Abafouq continued his
enchantment, a spectral image began to emerge at
the delta’s mouth.  Lines cris-crossed and
swelled, eventually settling into the familiar
shape of the Tserclaes, still sailing dark, but
now turning in the opposite direction, away form
the coastline and back out to sea.
         Jessica could feel the illusion gain
strength and saw the efforts of Andares and Kayla
join in.  But it wasn’t until the Nauh-kaee
spread wide his wings and add his will that the
ship truly began to look like a ship.  Jessica
felt all their concentration go into it, and even
the images of the sailors on board moved to
manipulate the rigging.  Soon, the vessel sailed eastward at a steady clip.
         The real Tserclaes came to a gentle halt
against one bank of the river, completely hidden
from the sea by the trees.  Even the crow’s nest
fell behind a particularly tall stand of
trees.  Jessica was forced to launch herself from
the ship and take up a perch in the trees to
watch the Whalish vessels to see how they would react.
         Her heart beat quickly as she peered,
trying to see if the illusion would falter.  The
southern ship turned first, and she hopped back
and forth in eager delight.  This one had the
fire cannon, and it believed the illusion!  She
felt immense relief as it completed its turn and
began to race to intercept the Tserclaes.  As if
her friends could sense that their plan was
working, they gave an extra boost of speed to the
illusion.  Now the Whalish ship wouldn’t be able to keep up!
         Jessica turned her attention on the
northern ship.  For several minutes more it
followed the coastline, and she felt her anxiety
return.  Why wasn’t this one following the illusion?  Couldn’t they see it?
         She opened her eyes to the magic,
scanning the shoreline and the illusion.  To her
surprise, the illusion did not appear to be
magical at all.  Whatever they were doing to hide
its magical nature went beyond her skills.  But
there was something that shocked her below.  How
could they have missed it?  Attached to the stern
was a tracer spell, and it drew out a faint line
that the northern ship followed.
         Jessica jumped from the tree and flew
down to the stern where her friends kept the
illusion alive.  She perched on the railing and
leaned forward, trying to stay as balanced as she
could.  The spell was a simple one, and used such
little power that it would not have been easily
seen if they weren’t looking for it.
         Jessica spread her wings and lifted one
talon, prying at the magical strands.  She pecked
it with her peak, digging in and clawing the
treads loose like a common knot.  Harder and
harder she pressed, until finally, the knot
dissolved.  Their path began to dissipate,
leaving nothing but empty water below.
         She wasted no time, flying back to the
tree and watching the northern ship.  The mage
cast a few more spells, but nothing seemed to do
any good. Jessica waited, talons digging into the
bark.  After a minute’s examination, the mage
gave up, and the northern ship turned eastwards as well.  It worked!
         By the time the moon emerged from the
clouds and shone brightly upon them, both Whalish
ships had chased the illusion beyond the
horizon.  A very tired crew rowed the Tserclaes
back into the sea and unfurled the
sails.  Jessica sat in the crow’s nest and did
her best not to fall asleep.  On the aft deck,
only Guernef and Andares remained awake in
magical ecstasy to continue guiding the illusion.
         A weary Captain Tilly stayed at the
helm, whistling a tuneless song.  He grinned
though, the grin of a man who’d beaten his enemies yet again.

----------

         “Thou must!” Kaspel insisted, struggling
to break free of Chamag’s firm grip on his
arms.  The archer coughed and spat up more of his
meal. “‘Twill pass!  I art well!”
         “Nae, thou needest thy rest,” Chamag
insisted, holding him even tighter. “Gelel, bring
the wine.  It’ll help him sleep.”
         Kaspel continued to struggle, but with
Chamag holding his arms, Pelgan his mouth, and
Gelel pouring wine down his throat, he eventually
weakened and hung limply like a rag doll.  Nemgas
stirred the coals with a stick he’d taken from a
nearby stand of trees.  Amile cleaned out the
cooking pot and shook her head.  Gamran stood
atop the wagon keeping a watch on the darkening horizon.
         It had been two weeks now since they’d
left Cheskych, and what had seemed like brief
bouts of weakness had now become an obvious case
of sickness.  Nemgas chided himself for letting
Kaspel continue to maintain the night watch so
long.  Clearly so much exposure to the night air
had taken its toll on the archer.  Compounded
with his grief over Berkon’s death, it was sure to lead him to illness.
         “I shalt watch o’er him this night,”
Nemgas said after tossing the stick into the
smouldering flames. “Who wilt take the watch?”
         Pelgan let go of Kaspel’s mouth as the
archer stared blearily at him, muttering more
protests.  He turned and nodded to Kaspel. “I
wilt take the watch.” He smiled to Amile.
“Wouldst thee care to stay up with me this night?”
         Amile raised one eyebrow and stared at
him amused. “I wilt, after taking a short rest.  I hath worked this day.”
         Gamran and Gelel laughed behind their
hands.  While Chamag carried Kaspel into the
wagon with Gelel’s help, Nemgas looked up at the
little thief. “Hast thee seen anything on the horizon?”
         “Nae,” Gamran replied with a quick shake
of his head.  He spread his arms wide and spun on
his heel. “‘Tis the Steppe!  It hath been empty
ere our parents wert born and it shalt be empty
long after our children hath followed us into the
grave.” He stared to the east for a moment,
noting the impressive peaks of the
Vysehrad.  Ever since they’d left Cheskych Nemgas
had led them a few miles from its hilly base, but
still it dominated their right flank.
         With dusk so soon at hand, the mountains
brooded like a dog guarding a choice treat with
its paw.  Gamran frowned and then jumped down.
“Well, enough of that.  My dear, allow me to help
thee with that pot.” Nemgas left them to tend to
the cook pot, and climbed into the wagon.
         Chamag and Gelel had lain Kaspel in the
comfortable bed.  The archer scratched idly with
one hand at his neck.  Gelel had already climbed
into his bed, but Chamag was still up. “Wouldst
thee rather I stay with him?  Shouldst he try to
rise, I couldst stop him more easily.”
         “Nae, I wilt do it.  I shouldst hath
made him come off the watch sooner.” Nemgas
grabbed the three-legged stool and set it near
Kaspel’s head.  He sat down facing the archer, so
his one arm could easily pin him if he needed to.
         “Wake me if thee dost need me,” Chamag
said before sliding into his bottom bunk.
         A moment later Gamran and Amile carried
the pot into the back of the wagon.  Nemgas
scooted the seat a little closer so they could
slip past to their beds.  Amile prepared a damp
cloth for Kaspel’s fever, and Nemgas laid it
across his forehead.  Still Kaspel scratched at
his neck, but when Nemgas came closer, he laid
his palm flat against his neck.  Odd, but Kaspel
had just imbibed a great quantity of wine.
         A few minutes more and only a single
lantern brought any light to the wagon.  He heard
Pelgan climb atop, and a moment later even
Kaspel’s twitching ceased.  All grew quiet as the Steppe fell into night.

         The first couple hours passed by
eventually.  Magyars were used to long waits with
nothing to do but live in their own thoughts and
stare at the never-ending grasses of the
Steppe.  Over time, they each developed a sort of
zone in which they let their mind freely wander
while still paying close attention to everything
around them.  Pelgan found his zone after perhaps
ten minutes, but the night still seemed to crawl past.
         He thought the night unusually quiet,
but otherwise nothing seemed to stand out as
worrisome.  The grasses bent with the wind, the
air felt cool on his face, and the stars shone
above.  The moon rose and brightened the night
even more, giving everything a pearly cast.  He
even found himself whistling a faint tune to
himself as he watched all the word slumber.
         Pelgan turned and felt a smile creasing
his lips.  Towards the eastern hills he heard his
whistling echo back to him.  So curious, it even
seem to harmonize his music.  His heart lifted,
and he seemed to feel a cool hand glide down his
back.  Slowly, he stretched out his legs and
climbed down from the wagon’s roof.  With careful
steps, he walked past the glowing remnants of the fire and into the hills.
         Something lay in the slight depression
beyond.  The figure was man-shaped, laying down,
and it played some instrument.  Pelgan whistled
to the tune, his body growing ever colder the
closer he stepped.  His hands rested at his hips,
fingers touching the daggers reflexively, but he
could not summon the strength to draw
them.  Instinct assured him he should, but the
song persuaded him that this was a friend.
         And then the figure shifted, and the
light of the moon fell upon him.  Apart from the
beastly shape of his left leg, covered in putrid
red fur and proportioned wrong, it was his dear
friend Berkon.  Pelgan blinked, tongue moving
between his teeth, but it felt so bloated that he
could make no words sound.  Berkon nodded and smiled to him.
         “Welcome, Pelgan.  Thou art my friend,
and thou wishest to be with me?”
         Pelgan felt his head begin to
nod.  Something was wrong.  Wasn’t Berkon
dead?  But despite himself, he found his legs
beginning to give out.  Very slowly, he started
to lay down on the grasses.  Berkon shifted and
with his arms, dragged himself over to Pelgan’s
side.  His hands pressed into Pelgan’s chest,
gently easing him down.  His touch was colder than iron, and Pelgan shivered.
         Berkon’s voice continued to sing in his
mind. “Nae, ‘twill be well.  Give thyself to me and ‘twill be well.”
         Pelgan nodded and leaned his head to one
side, hands palsied as they lay incapable against his daggers.
         And then somebody screamed.
         The song cut in twain, Pelgan felt his
muscles come back to him.  He dew his dagger and
pushed to one side, while the figure of Berkon
hissed with a rage that made him yearn to cry
like a wounded animal.  Standing atop the hill
was Amile, the moon reflecting in the whites of
her eyes so that she seemed half a spirit come back from the dead.
         The wagon door banged open a moment
later and Nemgas rushed out, followed quickly by
Chamag and Gamran.  Pelgan held up his knives and
rushed to Amile’s side.  The thing that had
looked like Berkon slunk back into the
shadows.  Just before it disappeared over the
next hill, it turned back to glare at
him.  Pelgan felt his heart tugged once more by
that gaze.  And then it was gone and he felt
himself collapse against the still screaming Amile.
         “What be it?” Nemgas shouted as he
rushed to their side, his jewelled Sathmoran blade in hand.
         Pelgan wrapped his arms around Amile and
kissed her face several times. “Thou hast saved
me,” he said to her. “Thou hast saved me.  Hush
now.” Amile did subside, but her chest heaved
from the fright.  Pelgan glanced at Nemgas and
tried his hardest to hide the tears. “‘Twas
Berkon, or some foul thing in his body.”
         “Berkon?” Nemgas trembled. “What didst he want?”
         “For me to give myself to him.  If not
for Amile screaming, I wouldst have done so.”
         From the wagon, Gelel shouted something
unintelligible.  The back door opened, and Kaspel
leapt out, falling down in a tangle of
sheets.  He got to his feet and began limping
away from the wagon shouting, “Take me!  Take me!”
         They raced to his side and grabbed him
by his arms, dragging the struggling archer to
the ground.  Even as Kaspel continued to cry out,
Nemgas yanked his collar aside.  From two small
holes, blood began to drain.  It smelled foul in
a way that seemed all too familiar. “Gelel, bring
the lantern!” Nemgas shouted.  The youth did so,
and they could see that the blood was marred by a malodorous black pus.
         “‘Tis the poison that felled Berkon!” Chamag exclaimed.
         “Aye,” Nemgas replied. “Get him back to
the wagon.  From now on, two must keep
watch.  Berkon hast been poisoning Kaspel for some time now.”
         Gamran shuddered and stared at the horizon. “Canst we save him?”
         “Maybe.  Only if we reach Dazheen and the others in time.”
         “But wilt we?”
         Nemgas had no answer.  After putting
Kaspel back in the wagon, Pelgan and Amile took
up the watch together.  Neither of them went into
their zone all the rest of that night.