[Mkguild] Peace Bonded Weapons

Raven Blackmane ravenb at transform.to
Fri Jan 4 21:38:31 EST 2008

Michael Bard wrote:
> My understanding of medieval culture is that swords and other large pointy
> things were legally required to be "peace bonded".  Does this hold true at
> MK?
>
> Michael Bard

Excellent question!  Generally speaking, cities would institute
peace-bonding in order to protect civilians from various unsavory types
who might prey upon them, as well as to keep rowdy and undisciplined
civvies from getting nasty in their brawls with one another. The right
to carry unbound weapons was reserved for the city guard and the
military. Elvquelin, the capital of the Sathmore Empire, goes further by
actually prohibiting civilians from carrying weapons into the city.

But Metamor is no ordinary city, and its people are no mere civilians.
Every Keeper is trained to fight from an early age and tested regularly
through sparring matches with other Keepers. Military service of some
kind is compulsory for all adults. Caravans do not generally enter the
city proper -- that's what the market town of Euper is for. The entire
city is, quite literally, an armed fortress, the last sure place of
safety on a dangerous frontier.

In light of that, it wouldn't surprise me if Metamor had a frontier
attitude about weapons. When /everybody/ has been trained to fight and
kill; when everyone is, to some degree, a soldier; when everyone has
received sober-minded instruction in the sort of conduct that is, and is
not, acceptable for a loyal servant of the crown ... do you really
/need/ peace-bonding laws?

Seriously. Keepers are, on average, the baddest bunch of mf-ers the
world has ever seen. Who in their right mind is going to try to assault
one of these people /inside their own city?/ And given the military
discipline instilled in them, and the very real sense of being all alone
in the world, what are the chances that they're going to turn on each other?

I could see peace-bonding laws being a necessity in Euper, which gets a
lot of traders coming in from a lot of places. Such laws would keep the
visitors from getting too far out of hand, especially in their dealings
with each other? But in Metamor Keep itself? I wouldn't be surprised if
weapons are carried openly and unbound. Because these people know what a
deadly serious business violence really is ... and they know how to use
it to devastating effect.

I could be wrong, of course. But that's how I see it.

By the way ... welcome aboard, Michael! :)

--Raven

--

"I love science, and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of
the subject or feel that choosing science means that you cannot also