[Mkguild] Untitled Intro Story CONTINUED!

Raven Blackmane ravenb at transform.to
Sat Jan 5 11:16:12 EST 2008

John Burman wrote:
> Very nice!  One thing I noticed is when she is arguing with the guard
> she says seven hells and near the end says nine hells.  I'm not sure
> if the Followers belive in one or multiple hells, but the Lothsani
> (sp? sorry Raven) I think believe in nine.
The Followers, as far as I know, believe in one "real" hell; the
Lothanasi (it helps if you sound it out: LOTH-uh-NAH-see) talk about the
Nine Hells.

Incidentally, the Nine Hells are factually existent in MK's world;
plane-walkers from ages past traveled there and brought back information
about them. But they aren't a place of permanent judgment; they're more
like purgatory, where souls work off their karmic debt before moving on.
(The First Hell is a place of rest and reward; those in progressively
lower hells have to deal with various hardships, from the risk of being
eaten by fiendish creatures in the Second Hell to the obscene tortures
of the Ninth Hell.)

Where those souls move on /to/ is a subject of much debate among
Lothanasi. They may very well move on to some sort of final resting
place established by the Creator; or they may be reborn in new bodies;
or they may enter a state of unknowing non-being. Nobody really knows,
since it's not something you can come back from (as far as they know).
The Lightbringers use the term "Oblivion" to describe what waits on the
other side of the Nine Hells, but that's more a generic term for "we
don't know what the heck's out there" as opposed to an actual point of
doctrine. :)

Some common expressions related to the Hells:

"To the Ninth with <it, him, her, etc.>" (A very strong curse, used for
angry dismissal)
"What in the Ninth...?" or "What in the hells?"
"Five hells' worth of trouble" -- Something that is a very serious problem

Cheers,

Raven

--

"I love science, and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of
the subject or feel that choosing science means that you cannot also