[Mkguild] Metamor Mapping Project

Michael Bard bard.michael at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 05:37:26 EST 2008

Newest iteration and upgrade of the Metamor Complex Map:
http://transform.to/~mwbard/stuff/metamorkeep3.jpg

This is, to my mind, the final version of the Keep and of Metamor Town.  The
various locations at http://mkworld.wikidot.com/places:metamor-keep that are
outside the keep proper have been marked.

If there are any locations, or these need to be moved LET ME KNOW NOW!

The mill no longer extends outside the keep wall.  Why it did originally, I
have no clue.  Grainaries have been located and marked as protectively near
the keep.  I figure they were burned as high priority targets, but have been
rebuilt as high priority rebuilds (though their contents leave a bit to be
desired still).  The wells have been removed as they make no sense.  Why
drill down through limestone when one can simply pipe water brought up by
Kyia and have pretty fountains that serve the same purpose?

The "mutable zone" has been clearly marked in RED as, apparently, there has
been some confusion over where it extends.  Technically it should reach into
the town square and the "Winter Asault Memorial" but I figure that was a one
time thing.  If the memorial is somewhere else, PLEASE let me know now!

A lot of "Metamor Town" is rubble that has been largely cleared away at
these points -- it's why the town isn't crammed with buildings.  The ones
marked are those that either survived (towards the south end) or have been
rebuilt to a habitable level.  (If the entire Town was LITERALLY burned to
the ground, nothing left, then there are a lot of stories which are
screwed).

There is a market area just inside the "Killing Zone".  Why should merchants
after going through Euper, up the damn ridge, and into the town, then have
to go the length of it just to reach the square?  If there wasn't one before
Winter Assault, there sure is now due to the necessity to bring up all the
building supplies and stack them somewhere convenient before use.

NOTE: The contours are VERY rough right now.  I need to squeeze them
together until they cover about half the horizontal distance they do.  The
scale works on the CorelDraw vector original,it is likely distorted in the
conversion to JPG.  The final version will have a more conventional "metre
stick" scale marked.

Michael Bard

P.S. Of Water and Sewage: After Raven, I'm assuming that Kyia brings up hot
and cold water into the keep.  The Duke's, being nice people, pipe it out
and into the town, at least to the fountains.  Sewage (those that go through
toilets in the keep) are piped directly back to Kyia to deal with.  Unused
water is run through the fountains, and then down through pipes to Euper.
Non-sewage (washing water for example) is also piped down to Euper.  Euper
uses this primarily for industrial purposes (power), and manufacturing
(leather/tanning), and then it runs through a crude stone aquaduct to a
sinkhole a few miles away where it's dumped into the earth never to be seen
again.  In Euper, sewage is dumped into this outflow to be "easily disposed
of".  (Yes, medieval cities, and even Rome at its height, had significant
sewer systems that wound throught the city, and then dumped the raw output
into the nearest river).