[Mkguild] "Along Life's Winding Road" Part 2

a_lil_dudeinpr2 at hotmail.com a_lil_dudeinpr2 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 26 23:22:56 EDT 2008

Well, here it is.  Finally got around to writing part 2.  Please tell me wh=
at you think about it, and if you find anything that you think I should cha=
nge, tell me.  I'm all ears.

-LurkingWolf

_______________________________

Along Life=92s Winding Road
Part 2
Darkness Falling
By LurkingWolf

May the 19th, in the year 699, Cristos Reckoning

    Julian hurried through the halls, dodging in and out among the crowds t=
hat clogged the streets at this time of day.  He was a strange sight to see=
, strapping on equipment as best he could while moving.  He was in an obvio=
us rush, and the crowd parted easily before him if for no other reason than=
 that they wanted to stare at him as he made his awkward passage through th=
e keep.

    Though slowed by his attempts to equip himself on the move, Julian stil=
l made good time getting to his destination.  He stumbled around the corner=
 into a doorway, nearly falling onto his face as his sword caught between h=
is feet as he tried to strap it onto his belt while running.  Steadying him=
self through the use of the doorway and finally securing the scabbard on hi=
s belt,  he entered the indoor training area.

    He quickly scanned the facility, looking for his master.  No doubt Mast=
er Montrose would be quite angry with him.  After a long night with his fia=
nc=E9e, he had gone home and landed in bed, still dressed as he had been wh=
en he met her.  He had then slept soundly until a few minutes ago, dreaming=
 of what might be in his future, the great things that Eli had in store for=
 him.  The dreams must have been too sweet for him to leave, for he had ove=
rslept for the first time in several years.

    Now, though, Julian was quite surprised that he could not find his mast=
er in the crowds.  Never in the long span that Julian had known the man had=
 Nathaniel ever overslept, or been late to even the most trivial of meeting=
s.  Where could he be?

    The young man=92s answer came only a few moments later.  =93Well!=94 ca=
me the jovial voice of Julian=92s tutor.  =93There he is, almost a full hou=
r late.=94  Julian followed the sound of his trainer=92s voice, finding him=
 sitting in a corner, reclined in a simple wooden chair, his sword laid out=
 across his knees, and a smug smile across his lips.

    =93I=92m sorry master, I didn=92t mean to keep you waiting=85=94

    =93No apology necessary, Julian.  I=92m quite aware of why you are late=
.  She said yes, correct?=94

    Julian smiled slightly, watching master as the older man stood up, stre=
tching to get the stiffness out of his muscles.  =93Yes,=94 he finally repl=
ied.

    =93I thought as much.  It stand to reason that you would need some extr=
a sleep after such an important event in your life, so I=92ll forgive you t=
his one time.  Don=92t let it happen again, though.  While you=92re under m=
y tutelage, and from this point on, I expect that you will be here at the t=
ime I set for you, and not a minutes later.=94

    =93I will master, I will,=94 Julian responded.  He was understandably r=
elieved at his master=92s calm reaction.  Of course he didn=92t know that h=
is master had also slept in that night, and had actually entered after his =
pupil through a side entrance.  Of course, Master Montrose found it unneces=
sary to bother his student with such details.

    The two immediately began warming up for the day of training they would=
 be going through, completely unaware of what was about to happen elsewhere=
 in the keep.

            *        *        *        *            =

    The current Lord Blackhorne was young, just having taken power three ye=
ars ago at the death of his father.  He had short black hair, an expressive=
 and youthful face, and a solid muscular build to his body.  Having command=
ed his father=92s troops before his death, he was also an experienced milit=
ary man.  Still, he was shaken when it came.

    =93Sir?=94

    =93Yes, Adrian, what is it?=94

    =93A messenger just arrived.  He says that a patrol just returned and t=
hey have urgent news for you, which they strongly suggest you read immediat=
ely.=94

    Lord Blackhorne looked at the guard with a worried look on his face for=
 a few moments before responding.  =93Send him in immediately.=94

    =93Right away, sir,=94 the guard responded.  He turned on his heel and =
went quickly to let the messenger enter.

    For his part, Lord Blackhorne was quite flustered by the mention of urg=
ent news.  There had been unconfirmed reports of late, worrisome reports th=
at, if proven true, could mean that there would be a great darkness in the =
North ere long.  Blackhorne could only hope that this news would be somewha=
t better than what he hoped.

            *        *        *        *            =

    Nathaniel Montrose had just finished the day of training when he was su=
mmoned.  The messenger had only said that Lord Blackhorne required his pres=
ence immediately, and when the lord could not be more specific than that, i=
t never meant anything good had happened.

    Montrose quickly arrived at the private meeting chambers.  The guards q=
uickly recognized him and bid him enter.  Inside was a medium sized room, t=
he entirety of which seemed to be built around the great table which stood =
in its center.  Lain across the table was one of the largest maps of the Gi=
antdowns that had ever been made.  It sprawled across the table, fitting ju=
st barely in the center.  It contained every detail of the Giantdowns that =
had ever been explored to the present day.  There was still a good amount o=
f unexplored territory, but the scouts from Blackhorne Keep had made signif=
icant progress towards filling in the blank areas.

    Around the table were seated many of the lord=92s inner circle, his mos=
t respected and trusted councilors each represented, along with many milita=
ry commanders.  They talked in hushed tones, everyone nervous and wanting t=
o know what the reason was for their being called to such a meeting.

    It didn=92t take Montrose long to track down Elliot.  The archer was se=
ated in a corner, obviously deep in thought, his expression worried.  He lo=
oked up as Montrose approached.

    =93It bodes ill for the keep, Nathaniel,=94 he whispered as his friends=
 sat beside him.  =93Lord Blackhorne didn=92t request our permission here, =
he demanded it.  He never do so unless it was merited by a very grave situa=
tion.  I fear that we may find ourselves in trouble very soon.=94

    =93I do not fear the worst.  I am ready for the worst, but fear and pre=
paration are hardly the same.  I hope for the sake of our continuing safety=
 that there is no cause for our concern, but I fear that you are quite corr=
ect.  Lord Blackhorne is troubled, and what troubles a man of his courage i=
s not to be taken lightly.=94

    It was not long before the lord himself made an appearance.  As was the=
 norm in these meetings, there was no pomp or ceremony with his arrival.  T=
hey paid him proper respect, but he came in unannounced and without any req=
uest for those in the room to rise.  With the lord in the room, the meeting=
 quickly began.

    =93Thank you all for coming here,=94 Lord Blackhorne began.  =93I, for =
one, do not believe in trying to delay the telling of bad news when the sit=
uation is such, so I will spell out the reason for my calling you here imme=
diately.

    =93As some of you may already know, we have been keeping a close watch =
on the activities of the lutins in the area.  In the past few months, we ha=
ve noticed a sudden decline in the number of patrols we see, as well as the=
 number of lutins per patrol.  Taken at face value, this would be wonderful=
 news.  At the current moment, however, it is far from such.

    =93The reason for the decline in the numbers of the lutins is not that =
we have eliminated good numbers of them, though this is, in fact, the case.=
  The lutins aren=92t coming near our keep as much because they are going e=
lsewhere.  This was just a suspicion until today, though.  A scout party ra=
n afoul of a group of armed warriors, from lutins to humans to giants to ev=
en fouler things that do not bear mentioning.  The number of this group our=
 scouts described as =91innumerable.=92=94 =

    There was a good number of hushed mutterings, and even a few very loud =
proclamations of the keep=92s impending doom.  The assembly was restored to=
 order as quickly as possible, and, as soon as the hubbub died down, the lo=
rd continued.

    =93Our group of five well-trained scouts, each specializing in stealth =
and avoidance techniques, lost two of their number just to the patrols the =
army has sent out ahead of them.  They hardly had time to try to count the =
enemies before they were forced out of their hiding place by a patrol.  The=
 one thing they were able to do, though, was distinguish Nasoj=92s colors f=
lying in the army.  We can only conclude that this army is meant to crush w=
hoever it encounters, including us and, even more concerning, Metamor.=94

    There were more whispers, some very worried comments, and a general air=
 of fear and apprehension.  Scout parties were trained to be able to make a=
 rough estimate of enemy numbers, even given a short period in which to do =
so, and, according to Lord Blackhorne, this party had been very well prepar=
ed to do just that.  Still, though, they had not made an estimate of their =
enemy=92s numbers, instead saying that they were innumerable.  Though the v=
eracity of the statement was questionable, it still meant that the army was=
 likely larger than anything that had come on the attack for a few hundred,=
 if not some thousand, years of recorded history.  It also meant that Nasoj=
, who had been defeated in a campaign some ten years past, has recovered st=
rength.

    =93As you may well imagine, this is a time that we should all be ready =
to give our all for our home.  It isn=92t in too much doubt as to what the =
army is for, but when it will arrive is another question.  We must be ready=
 to fight, which is why I have called you all here.  I think everyone was a=
ccounted for, correct?=94

    There were a few words of confirmation from around the room, so the lor=
d continued.

    =93Master Montrose?  Where is your apprentice?=94 the lord asked.

    Nathaniel Montrose was quite surprised by the question.  His pupil had =
never seemed to draw much attention from Lord Blackhorne.  =93He has finish=
ed the day=92s training and is likely going about whatever business he has =
planned for today.=94

     =93You are training him as a tactician, correct?=94

    =93Yes, sir.  He shows great promise, even though he may take his lesso=
ns a bit too seriously=85=94

    =93Too seriously?=94 the lord asked, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

    =93Yes, sir.  He almost constantly tries to plan for any eventuality in=
stead of just what I tell him to do.  It takes him almost three times as lo=
ng as it should for such lessons=85=94

    =93Is this a bad thing for him to do in the real world?=94

    =93Well, no, but=85=94

    =93In the future, Master, you should make it a note to make sure that y=
our pupils try to think of every eventuality.  If you tell them to look at =
just one thing, they are more likely to overlook an important detail.  But =
for now=85=94  The lord called a messenger who had been standing quietly in=
 a corner and whispered a few words to him.  The messenger then left quietl=
y to carry his message.

    The lord continued to request the presence of a good many low-ranking s=
oldiers, tactical officers, and a few trainees.  Montrose quietly marveled,=
 wondering what sort of strange purpose his lord could have for requesting =
such people.  At the same time he quietly admonished himself for not having=
 thought of letting his apprentice continue over-pursuing his studies.  It =
was quite true that the keep was in need of good tactical officers, and he =
was sure that Julian, with his constant pursuit of perfection, would soon b=
e one such man.

    Julian arrived before long, following the messenger that the lord had s=
ent to fetch him.  He was quite confused as to the reason for the summons, =
but felt it best not to put his confusion into words.  He moved over to his=
 master and stood silently while Lord Blackhorne continued to request the p=
resence of other low-ranking people in the keep.  Understandably, he sent a=
 messenger to all of the smithies in the keep, requesting that they begin w=
ork on various types of weaponry to be used in the defense effort.

    Finally, Lord Blackhorne finished.  He talked quietly to a few people b=
efore he came over to Julian.

    =93Good, I=92m glad to see you were able to make it so quickly, young s=
ir,=94 he said.

    =93If you request my presence, sir, nothing will keep me from fulfillin=
g my duty as a citizen and coming at the earliest possible moment.=94

    =93Good man.  I hope that the others whose presence I have requested ha=
ve the feeling of duty that you do.  Now, your master tells me that your sp=
ecialty is in tactics, correct?=94

    =93Yes, sir.  I have a good ways to go before I can be a match for any =
of the regular tacticians, but I do my best,=94 Julian responded.  To his c=
redit, he seemed to keep his surprise well in check at the strange question=
 he had been asked.

    =93Is this a piece of your work?=94 the lord asked.  In his hands were =
several sheets of paper, each separate one detailing another level of the l=
ord=92s tower.  It was the same basic kind of map that any citizen could fi=
nd in the library, not containing some details that were kept out of the pu=
blic=92s knowledge, but sufficient to work with.  The thing that distinguis=
hed this particular set of maps was that, bound to each page was another pa=
ge of written notes.

    If Julian was surprised to see a piece of his work in his lord=92s hand=
, his master was absolutely taken aback.  He hadn=92t known that his lord h=
ad had an interest in his student=92s training.  The fact that he thought e=
nough of the boy to request a piece of his work showed that he indeed had q=
uite an interest in the young man.

    =93Yes, sir.  Those notes were taken last summer, I believe.  It took m=
e about two weeks to finish it to my satisfaction.  I=92m still sure that I=
 could=92ve found more, if you=92re worried that I am not working hard enou=
gh=85=94

    =93No, Julian, that is not at all what I had in mind.  Though you may n=
ot know it, I had the duty of grading your work transferred to the head tac=
tician in the keep almost two years ago.  Since then, your master has taken=
 some observations of your work, enough to know that you did far more than =
was requested, but other than that, he has been spared the work of looking =
over your work in detail.=94  The lord smiled as he saw the look on Master =
Montrose=92s face.  He obviously knew that his lord knew something that he =
had been hiding, perhaps for quite a while.

    =93In the last two years, you have found approximately twenty deficienc=
ies in various defensive positions in this keep that had been ignored previ=
ously.  The most surprising example is this particular set of maps.  Althou=
gh, due to security concerns, the maps are somewhat vague, you still found =
five areas that previously had been unguarded where an assassin could conce=
ivably enter.  You also found a blind spot in the defenses where such a man=
 could gain access to one of these areas without alerting so much as one of=
 the guards.

    =93This is no small thing for you to have accomplished.  The defenses o=
f the tower are supposed to be the best in the keep.  The defenses have bee=
n revised, restructured, and redoubled several times over the years, and ye=
t no one had found the problems that you did.  This is a skill to be recogn=
ized.

    =93Now, the reason I called you here is simple, so I will make the expl=
anation simple.  Scouts report an army on the move towards us, a force they=
 describe as innumerable.  Though we lack the defenses to truly stop such  =
force, we could delay them.  This is where you come in.  With your amazing =
eye for detail in respect to finding defensive problems, I think one of you=
r skill would be ideal for the work of making sure that the defenses on our=
 walls are as sure as possible, ready to deal the greatest possible blow to=
 the numbers of the enemy, and ready to make it as hard as we can to breach=
 our walls.  I have arranged for you to be placed on assignment with the he=
ad tactician, in charge of the defenses.  That is, if you choose to accept =
the task,=94 the lord said, looking into the eyes of the amazed man in fron=
t of him.

    =93Sir?  My apologies, sir, but this is impossible!  The greatest minds=
 in this keep have looked over these defenses, how could a man of my skill =
possibly improve upon them?  I have yet to even pass my training yet!=94

    =93The first part of your concerns I understand, but I still believe in=
 your talents,=94 the lord began.  =93True, it is a rare thing for a man of=
 your age to have such responsibility, but that is because few men your age=
 are ready for such responsibility.  I believe that you are one of the few =
who are.  As for not having passed your training, it is within my power to =
change that.  I have not ever used the power yet, but I am given full autho=
rity to declare one=92s training passed when his skill is sufficient or the=
 situation merits such action.  I believe that both reasons apply to your c=
ase.  I believe that you are quite ready for promotion.  Isn=92t that right=
, Master Montrose?=94

    =93Absolutely, sir.  I highly recommend him for such promotion.,=94 Mon=
trose responded without hesitation.

    =93Well, then, I hope you don=92t mind if we omit the more lavish cerem=
onies, at least until after this is over.  I think it would be best to do s=
o in favor of getting right to work, given the situation.=94

    =93I have no objection,=94 Montrose responded.  =93What do you think, J=
ulian?=94

    Julian just stood there, looking in disbelief at his two superiors.  =
=93What do I think?  An early promotion?  That hasn=92t been done for decad=
es, maybe centuries!  Not even you received such an honor!=94 Julian exclai=
med, motioning towards Master Montrose.

    =93Though I have done my best to keep it quiet, you are a good deal bet=
ter right now than I was at your age,=94 Montrose commented.  =93I think th=
at you can handle that fact without your head getting too big now, though.=
=94

    =93How can I possibly accept this?=94 Julian asked, still disbelieving.=
  =93I have so much to learn still!  I am far from skilled enough to truly =
be ready for this honor!=94

    =93All good warriors recognize that their skill is never sufficient at =
some point.  To think that you have learned all that there is to know about=
 anything will inevitably lead to disaster.  No one is ever completely read=
y when they are promoted to a master swordsman.  To recognize the fact that=
 you aren=92t ready is key to your future success,=94 Lord Blackhorne respo=
nded.  =93Please accept.  We will need your skills to help us with this bat=
tle.=94

    Julian still looked incredulous.  He had worked for so many years, anti=
cipating the day that he would finally become a knight.  Now, though, he fo=
und that he didn=92t feel worthy to take the position.  Still, both his mas=
ter and his lord had given him their most sincere words of encouragement.  =
How could he refuse if they needed him?

    Of course, the logical next step was, how could they need him?  He wasn=
=92t special.  He couldn=92t even figure out how he had ever found somethin=
g that had been left unfound by much greater minds than his.  He couldn=92t=
 understand, everything was happening so fast=85

    =93Sir=85  I don=92t know what to say=85=94

    =93=91Yes=92 would be a good start,=94 Lord Blackhorne said.  =93We nee=
d men like you, Julian, men with honor, men with skill, and men who won=92t=
 let themselves become overconfident.  You=92re on of a rare breed, Julian,=
 a man who could probably do almost anything he wished to do.  I want you t=
o help us to the best of your ability during this time, and I believe you c=
ould do so best as a knight.=94

    =93I=85  I would be honored, sir,=94 Julian managed.  He swallowed loud=
ly, still hardly able to believe what had just happened.  He was going to b=
e promoted!  How could he express his feelings=85

    =93I=92m glad that you accepted,=94  the lord said, smiling.  =93We wil=
l need you before this is over.  We=92ll hold a limited ceremony this after=
noon.  No set time, as I=92ll be busy, but await a messenger with a summons=
.  Until then, you=92re free to do as you wish.  I suggest that you take ca=
re of anything important you may have on the table, seeing as you will like=
ly be required to be working for most of the day from here until the attack=
.=94

    =93Yes, sir.  I will, sir.  Thank you=85=94  Julian=92s voice trailed o=
ff.  He was lost in thoughts of what he would do until then.  He somehow kn=
ew without giving it a seconds though.  Sarah.

    =93Excuse me, sir,=94 a voice interrupted Julian=92s thoughts.  He look=
ed up at the person who had just approached Lord Blackhorne.  He was tall, =
with his hair cut close to his head, and he seemed thoroughly equipped for =
battle.  =93A word?=94

    =93Yes, Aaron, what is it?=94 the lord asked.

    =93Sir, with all due respect, the defenses of Metamor are superior to o=
ur own, are they not?=94

    =93Absolutely,=94 the lord responded.

    =93Then why don=92t we fall back and help defend the stronger of the tw=
o strongholds?  We truly defend very little here.  Since the surrounding ar=
eas have been slowly taken by Nasoj, there are very few places of note that=
 he has not yet taken.  Why not retreat?  The army isn=92t close enough to =
catch us if we leave now.=94

    =93We couldn=92t do that,=94 Julian cut in.  In a moment, he realized w=
hat he had done.  =93I=92m sorry, sir, I didn=92t mean to interrupt=85=94

    =93That=92s all right, Julian.  I=92m curious, though, why shouldn=92t =
we retreat?=94

    =93Well=85=94  Julian paused to clear his throat.  =93To the best of my=
 knowledge=85=94

    =93No, no, wait.  Don=92t say it like you=92re not sure, tell it like i=
t is a fact,=94 the lord said, the tone of his voice correcting but not too=
 harshly so.

    =93I=92m sorry, sir.  As I was saying, if we retreated now, Metamor wou=
ld be more vulnerable than if we hold Nasoj here, even if it doesn=91t take=
 him long to breach our defenses.=94

    =93Now wait a moment!=94 Aaron interrupted.  =93If we retreated now, th=
ere would be more people in Metamor to defend her.  How would that make her=
 more vulnerable?=94

    =93There would be just us to increase the defenses.  If we leave now, n=
othing will be here to stop Nasoj.  He will likely march double quick, even=
 getting to Metamor in a month.  In the meantime, the fastest of our messen=
gers would take almost a week, if not a little more due to weather, to get =
to Metamor.  From there, another messenger would take a few days to reach M=
etamor=92s allies.  Even if they used magic to communicate with them, the a=
llies would have to marshal their troops, prepare supplies, get weapons, an=
d maybe even get approval to go help Metamor.  By the time they get to Meta=
mor, it might already be too late.

    =93If we send out a lone messenger to advise Metamor of the impending a=
ttack, though, and stay here to hold Nasoj for as long as we can, Metamor=
=92s allies will be given just a little more time, which might be critical =
to their success.=94

    =93Well, then, there you have it, Aaron,=94 the lord said, smiling at t=
he man warmly.  =93The boy=92s good, isn=92t he?=94

    =93Yes, sir.  I=92m sorry about the trouble, I will endeavor to give mo=
re careful thought to my questions before I ask in the future,=94 the respo=
nse came.  Aaron=92s head was held low in respect to his lord.

    =93It=92s all right, Aaron, we=92ll find a way to stop Nasoj when he ge=
ts here.  Then we won=92t have to worry about Metamor.=94

    =93I hope so, sir,=94 Aaron replied.  He then retreated into the crowd =
to talk to someone else.

    =93Well spoken, lad.  That=92s one of the reasons I want you to be with=
 us.  You have more common sense than you give yourself credit for.  Stick =
with what you know, and you will go far.=94  Lord Blackhorne gave the young=
 man a satisfied smile.  =93Now, go do what you must do to prepare for the =
ceremony.=94

    =93Yes, sir,=94 Julian responded.  With no further business to take car=
e of, Julian left.  He would prepare for the ceremony, then go to spend as =
much time as he could get with Sarah.

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger=A0
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=3Den-us&sourc=
e=3Dwlmailtagline