[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LIX

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Jun 19 21:42:14 EDT 2008

Took a bit longer than I wanted to get the next
Chapter out, but here it is!  Again thanks to Ryx for penning the first scene

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LIX

To the Mountain

         A short time over tea was not terribly
short and the clock upon the mantle had tolled
the hour twice before Murikeer and Kozaithy once
more abandoned warmth for biting chill.  As they
stepped out the door, Murikeer assured Kimberly
that he would return soon with any news he could
bring the lady rat and that, along with the news
of their journey, seemed to lighten her
heart.  She and the opossum bade them good
night.  The lights inside were out only moments after he closed the door.
         Kozaithy, bundled up once more in the
faded green cloak and cowl, looked much as she
did upon their first meeting but for the white
plume of tail drifting along in train.  She said
little as they crunched through the fresh fallen
snow and stillness of the cold early winter air,
lost in some private contemplation of her own.
         Jurmas, the white-tailed deer morph
proprietor of the Mountain Hearth Inn, was
jubilant to have an honoured guest such as the
effusively praised master mage Murikeer Khunnas
return to his humble establishment.  Having been
forewarned of Murikeer’s return by the stable
master who’d taken in his horse and cart some
hours earlier Jurmas was ready for their arrival
to his Inn.  Not knowing the relation the mage
might have with the heavily cloaked companion
riding the cart with him the deer had been
somewhat judicious and set aside two joined rooms
rather than a single suite.  He also pointed out
that both of the rooms were among those in which
new bronze tubs piped into the ready supply of
hot water from the cistern Murikeer had repaired almost two years prior.
         Begging fatigue from his travels
Murikeer demurred the offer of someone to prepare
the baths so he might turn in and get some much
needed rest.  Kozaithy gave a much bemused
Murikeer a hug and a peck on his furry cheek before turning in as well.

         Murikeer arose early the next morning
and, after being told that his female companion
had not yet emerged from her room, broke his fast
among the other early risers in the common
room.  While he ate he contemplated what few things he planned to do that day.
         A visit to his aunt, the tailor Walter
Levins, and another to speak with the Lord Avery
to find someplace a bit more permanent than the
Hearth to take up residence.  He was not sure how
many dwellings remained unused though after the
repeated incursions of Nasoj’s forces over the
last decade, and the Curse, he did not fear he would find nothing.
         Kozaithy had not put in an appearance by
the time he finished an hour later so he left
word where he might be found and took his
leave.  The sun had risen above the eastern peaks
by that time in a sky clear of all but the
highest wispy mares’-tails and the temperature
was slightly warmer but still quite cool.  A
fresh blanket of snow covered the ground though
horse-drawn plows were already sweeping the
commons clear.  For the more thickly furred
citizens of the Glen it could have been
considered comfortable while for what few humans
who made their homes there it was not likely so
pleasant.  For Murikeer, both furred and wearing
an amulet to ward against the chillness in the
air, it was ideal.  He meandered from the Inn and
made his way idly toward the long building
nestled between the broad roots of two great
oarwood trees where his aunts, Walter and Annette, made their home.
         Annette served as something like head
chef and matron, it seemed, for the entire
population of the Glen.  The Curse had changed
her into a spiny hedgehog but had not stolen away
any of her abundant good cheer.  Her husband,
Walter Levins, had become a woman and for many
years had been so embittered by the change that
she became quite the opposite of her wife; as
prickly in behavior as her wife had become in
body.  Some of that had sloughed away the last
time Murikeer had seen her some months
before.  After Nasoj’s winter attack some change
of heart had overcome her surliness and she’d
adopted three orphans of the attack.
         Murikeer met one of them emerging from
the main entry when he arrived.  A severe looking
young woman with a quarterstaff favoured him with
a level stare when she noticed his presence half
a dozen paces from the door.  “Yer... you’re
new.” She commented with a slight pause to
correct the country drawl with speech likely
learned under Walter’s harsh tutelage.  The young
woman, more a girl in truth of perhaps fifteen
years under the heavy coat and scarf she wore,
looked him up and down appraisingly.  “Walter’s
not taking any more orders nor tending to any
repairs until she completes her wedding consignments.”
         “I had not thought to ask for either
service miss...” Murikeer assured with as much a
disarming smile as he could muster.  The young
woman’s information had been delivered brusquely
but not belligerently, more out of long suffering and much repetition.
         “Batrim.” She supplied at Murikeer’s
trailed off query.  “Batrim Marshal-Levins.  And yer... yourself?”
         One of the adoptees, Murikeer realized,
and old enough to have been touched by the
Curse.  Apparently that touch had caused a
gender-switch much as Walter had undergone, for
Murikeer recalled Batrim having been spoken of as
male during his earlier visits.  “Murikeer
Khunnas, son of Justin Windseeker-Levins.” That
brought a momentary pause of surprise from the brusque young woman.
         “Ah!  Oh, cousin Muri.” She blushed and
cast her challenging gaze down in
embarrassment.  “I did not chance to see ye during yer last visit, sir.”
         “Which was altogether too brief,
Batrim.” Murikeer said reassuringly, “And I am no
knight nor lord.  Call me Muri.  Has Walter or Annette risen yet?”
         Batrim grunted and favoured him with a
brief grin.  “If ma Anne were abed at this hour I
think even the Lord Avery would come
calling.”  At Murikeer’s chuff of laughter she
brought her gaze bravely back up.  “Ma Walter is
in the back, as always, hard at work.  Ma Anne is
up at Lars’ fattening up the off-duty watch.  My
sisters are at mistress Devon’s lettering class.”
         “You’re of the watch?  Scouts?”
         “Not as yet.  I’m still in Angus’
training and I best be gettin’ there before he
sees me late.”  With a quick bob of her head she
trotted down the path with her staff over one
shoulder.  Murikeer watched her for a moment
before crossing to the door and entering the
steamy, warm business of Annette Levin’s
kitchens.  At that moment the well-tended room
was empty but held an air of only slightly
reigned hustle.  Pies, breads, and pastries
cooled upon numerous racks while the many ovens
sucked fresh air with low growls to fuel the cook
fires within.  Dampened cloths covered bowls of
rising dough and the chamber was permeated with
the smells of a busy bakery in full motion.
         How the short, stout hedgehog managed so
much single-handedly Murikeer could not
fathom.  He made his way through the kitchen
toward the ornate tapestry that separated the
cook’s demesne from the tailor’s and ducked past
it.  The change in environment was stark from
tidily maintained kitchen to the chaotic gaiety
of fabrics and bright colors filling the tailor’s
shop like an overturned caravan wagon.  Wardrobes
from fancy to frugal filled racks and tables and
hung from ceiling rafters in riotous abandon.  He
saw the proprietress in brief glances between
hanging garments fit for a royal ball sitting at
the one patch of sunshine from a broad window
with her head bent over some fine detail work
Murikeer couldn’t see.  But for a brief cough the shop was silent.
         Pausing behind an intricate gown of
emerald green Murikeer cleared his throat.  The
long-suffering sigh that resulted made him
grin.  “I am busy, who ever you are.” Walter
growled irritably around the pins in her
mouth.  “I am not taking on any more
tailoring!  Mending will have to wait until after the wedding.”
         Murikeer, still hiding behind a screen
of hanging garments, grunted as if in displeasure
at the news, “I’ve been abroad for some months,
madamme, and my raiment has hard suffered the
travels.” He feigned surlishness with a sigh of his own.
         He could hear Walter’s wordless
muttering but also something altogether more
disconcerting; the whispering rasp of steel being
drawn from leather.  “Well, show yourself then,
stranger.”  Murikeer stepped around the hanging garments with a smile.
         “Murikeer!” Walter barked in surprise
while trying to both scowl and smile delightedly
at the same time.  She slapped the poniard, and
its garishly decorated belt scabbard, on her
worktable and lurched to her feet.  “Lad don’t
give an old harridan such a fright.”  The happy
smile at his arrival won out over the scowl and
she beckoned him to come closer.
         Murikeer navigated his way to her and
shared a strong embrace.  “Harridan, aunt
Walter?” he laughed warmly and tried not to knock
any of the numerous works-in-progress off the
table with his tail.  “More myrmidon, I’d say,
ready to pin me like an errant seam.”  Walter
released him to cough behind one hand.
         “Strangers talking from hiding, after
all the chaos of the last few years, is enough to
chill the heartiest spine, nephew.” She hastily
cleared a heap of cloth scraps from a stool and
bade him to sit.  “After the attack last Yule,
the fights at the Keep, one of them just this
past solstice, everyone’s a little on edge.  Then
comes a flood of refugees from the south, and
with them news of the tensions, and battles,
taking place in the south.  I’ve seen refugees
come before, but never like this.  Things must
really be bad if they’re willing to flee here to
escape it.”  She sighed with a shrug and sat back
down on her own use-worn stool.  “Not even the
Duke’s wedding is enough to easily lift the
weight on the hearts of so many.”  Murikeer
coiled the lush thickness of his tail about his
feet to keep from littering the close press of
clothes with errant fur while he tried to absorb
the rush of news. “You found Justin?”
         Murikeer nodded a little woodenly, “I
did.  I’ve interred him in the crypt until he can
be properly placed at my mother’s
side.”  Murikeer looked at the garment laid out
over Walter’s workbench, the richly tailored
collection of expensive fabrics seemed garish
against the typical clothing of Metamor, even
that worn by nobles or courtiers.  The sheath she
had drawn the poniard from was a part of that
garment.  “What is this wedding of the Duke you
spoke of, and fight at the Keep in midsummer?”
         Walter leaned forward slightly on her
stool and leaned her elbows upon her knees to
work the fatigue out of her hands.  She pondered
a few moments and, after coughing once more
behind a hand, spoke.  “Fights, plural, actually
the details of which I know little
of.  Apparently one of master Matthias’ old
companions, the one who aided the Glen during
last winter’s attack, turned out to have evil
intentions.  His machinations brought some manner
of ill upon Duke Thomas.  This all came to a head
late in the spring, some time after you left,
when they tried to break the spell that Thomas
was under.  This man appeared and there was a
battle, but he escaped and the spell was broken.
         “He returned this past solstice, with
allies, during the midsummer festival and another
fight was joined in the Keep bell tower.  The man
and his evil companions again escaped but I do
not believe without some harm to both sides.  The
ambassador who came last year was slain, master
Matthias was turned to stone, and another...
well, I don’t think anyone knows what happened to
him.  He was struck down but still lives in some sort of coma.”
         “You don’t know his name?”  Murikeer was
stunned.  Charles turned to stone?  He was not
surprised that the ambassador perished,
considering he was purportedly representing
Marzac.  But what side was he fighting on, Murikeer wondered.
         “Charles was one of them,” Interrupted a
new voice bringing Murikeer’s head around in
surprise.  Annette stood in a narrow isle between
overburdened racks with a tray in her hands.  The
hedgehog smiled brightly upon spying her nephew
returned from his travels.  “His wife was your
pupil, Muri.  Welcome back.”  Murikeer rose
hastily to help her with the laden tray and
Walter, looking abashed, coughed behind one
hand.  “Such unpleasant news should not be what
you first hear upon returning home.”  She rubbed
her paws upon the front of her apron while
Murikeer and Walter cleared enough space on the
worktable to set the tray down.  That done,
Murikeer gave his other aunt a robust, if
careful, embrace.  She flattened down the dense
forest of gray spines as best she was able under
her blouse and kirtle and returned his hug.
         “How did Charles get turned to
stone?  Who was left in a coma?” He asked of
Walter and Annette.  “Forewarned is forearmed,
auntie, and if there is still danger I would want to be prepared.”
         Annette tapped him lightly upon the nose
with a fingertip.  “Now don’t you be yelling this
about, even we’re not supposed to know.  Charles
was bespelled to stone during that last battle in
the belfry and not even his wife knows so don’t
be worrying her more by that news.  A warrior
named Rickkter was left in a lasting coma while
the Ambassador Yonson and some of his personal
guards perished in the fighting.”
         Murikeer chuffed out a stunned breath
and sat down heavily.  Rickkter in a coma?  For
months?  Now his prospective wife journeyed into
the heart of evil in his stead while the husband
of a close friend, his own erstwhile pupil, was
left a statue and his wife lied to about his
fate?  That was only three of the very few he had
come to know in the short time he had spent at
Metamor, but it felt like someone had decimated
his own family.  “How, then, do you know these things?”
         The hedgehog baker’s narrow muzzle
pulled into a reasonable facsimile of a smile,
“No one pays heed to the help, dearie, even one
so prickly as I.”   Annette settled her nimble
hand-paws upon the front of her hopelessly
work-stained apron and giggled a soft,
conspiratorial laugh while she nodded her head
toward the tray.  “Drink up, you two, before the
wine cools.”  She fetched a mug and pastry for
herself and settled her broad, bristled posterior
on a heap of fabric discards.  “It’ll loosen your
cough, too, Walter.”  Murikeer did as he was bade
and secured a meat-roll for himself.  Walter
stifled a cough behind her hand and made a face
with a roll of her eyes before taking the
remaining mug and another pastry.  “I overheard
the scout master Misha talking to Lord Avery
about the events after bringing news about Master Matthias to his wife.”
         “Events?” Murikeer asked around a bite of succulent meat-roll.
         “The day of the joust, Muri, not long
after the elk Knight Egland was vanquished by the
rat Knight Saulius, there came a terribly swift
wind and thick clouds through the valley on what
was otherwise a fine, clear summer day.” Walter
added.  “I had a stall not far from the lists and
saw the belfry tower clearly.  After the clouds
rolled in a great huge white beast, looking like
those Gryffons we see winging about now and then
but much larger, and a dragon began circling the
tower which was flashing and thundering like a
god’s forge.”  Walter took a sip of her mulled
wine while she retold her experience and nibbled
her pastry.  “The bells began a’ ringing with
very odd noises, muffled and distorted, and I saw
others climbing up the outside of the tower from
a casement below.  From where I was I could not
see who was fighting in the tower or why, but I saw some fall from within.”
         Walter shrugged her shoulders slowly,
“The Duke let slip that assassins had taken
refuge in the tower with the intent to strike him
down with archers and some mages.”  She made a
derisive snort, which led to another cough, and
took a hasty swallow of mulled wine.  “But I
hardly understand why a dragon would be called on
to attack from without, or the purpose of the other flying beast.”
         “Probably to keep whatever mages from
getting a good look in the Duke’s direction, lest
they be chewed or flamed by the dragon and its
ally, if the other beast was not fighting the
dragon?  If what you say is true news about
Charles and Rickkter, then there were certainly
some rather potent mages involved.  Rickkter is
equal parts sorcerer and warrior, I could hardly
imagine anyone who could easily best him in
combat using either, and what little I know of
Charles leaves me to imagine he was quite a
fighter as well.”  Murikeer observed quietly
while he finished his wine.  “I will check in on
them when I am done here and return to the Keep.”
         “Done here doing what, Muri?” Annette asked.
         “Other than having my loving aunt
threaten to pin me with an oversized needle and
flatly refuse to mend my travel worn clothing?”
Murikeer smiled warmly to Walter who grunted and
rolled her eyes but smiled at his humor
nonetheless, “I was going to speak with Lord
Avery about finding a more permanent home.”
         Walter finished her own wine and set the
mug back upon the tray with a muted
click.  “Delightful, he and the Lady Avery are
due here some time this morn for a fitting.  They
will be attending the Duke’s wedding.”
         “Ah, yes, do tell me about that?”
         Annette bobbed her head, “Oh, we shall,
if you’ll tell us of this lady friend of yours.”
         Walter raised an eyebrow in surprise and
Murikeer blinked, “Lady friend?”
         “Jurmas said you arrived last eve with a
snow-white skunk with green eyes in tow, but took separate rooms.”
         “Oh.  Yes, well...”

----------

         The first thing they heard as Verdane’s
army crushed the road towards Masyor was the snap
of trebuchets.  Like distant thunderclaps they
rolled over the hills and forests that surrounded
the city on the seashore.  The castle walls of
Masyor rocked under the assault, but they would hold for many days yet.
         Verdane sat in his saddle as their army
moved beyond the line of trees and out into the
fields surrounding the city.  Where once fields
had lain fallow for the winter, Lord Dupré’s
forces had ravaged into muddy froth that grasped
at wagon wheels and slowed their
advance.  Besides him rode his daughter,
imperious in her gaze, with her fiery red hair
bound tightly with cords to keep the wind from
upsetting it.  She gazed at her father from time
to time, eyes hot with anger, an anger held in check like a true Verdane.
         Captain Nikolai of the Wolf’s Claw had
rejoined Verdane’s army yesterday with Anya in
tow.  With most of William Dupré’s soldiers
laying siege to Masyor, it had been easy for his
elite troops to infiltrate Mallow Horn’s defences
and snatch William’s wife and Verdane’s daughter
without bloodshed.  He’d even been kind enough to
bring along several changes of clothes for her so
she wouldn’t have to travel in
discomfort.  Titian Verdane still had to endure
several hours of listening to his daughter
describe her displeasure in exquisite detail.
         But now, after the months of organizing
his troops and cajoling what few of his vassals
into obedience that he could, it was time to put
an end to the feud between the house Dupré and house Guilford.
         Nikolai rode from the front ranks to
Verdane.  At Verdane’s left rode Lord Rukas
Stoffels.  If any of his vassals were likely to
betray him, it was Stoffels.  Grenholt and Thrane
each led a wing to outflank Dupré’s
troops.  Grenholt he trusted because the Lord of
Mitok needed Verdane strong to defend his
lands.  Thrane was less certain, but craven
enough that Verdane felt he would remain loyal so
long as Verdane had the largest army.
         But Stoffles was crafty and had been
marching his troops to come to Dupré’s aid.  The
safest place for him was at Verdane’s side where he could do nothing but obey.
         “Captain!” Verdane called as the leader
of the Wolf’s Claw approached. “What news do you bring?”
         “Lord Thrane and Lord Grenholt are in
position.  Lord Dupré’s forces are weak in the
rear and sides.  Lord Guilford is keeping his
troops behind his walls.  We couldn’t get around
far enough to see what they do on the lake, but we saw no ships.”
         Verdane nodded. “Good.  It’s as we’d
hoped.  Give the order to Lord Thrane and Lord
Guilford to move in.  Lord Dupré will be forced to parlay.”
         “As will Lord Guilford,” Stoffels added
in a whisper still audible over the racket of the
trebuchets and the stomping of thousands of boots and hooves.
         Nikolai nodded and rode back through the
ranks to send the messengers.  Verdane watched
him go and then set his sights on the castle.  It
rose above the hills like a squat toad protecting
its log, hoary eyes scowling at all that lay
before it.  Catapults launched stones and boiling
pitch from its towers into Dupré’s forces hidden behind the hill’s crest.
         “And just what will you do with William?” Anya asked.
         “Force him to surrender,” Verdane
replied. “You know this war is foolish, and it
has already cost me more than I can afford.”
         Anya pursed her lips, the scowl in her
eyes fading momentarily.  Her tirade of the night
before had ended when her father informed her
that her elder brother Jaime was now a prisoner
in Salinon because of her husband’s disastrous
war.  Though she had taken her husband’s name,
her loyalty would always be to her family.  And
for that reason, she rode without objection
beside her father into battle against her husband.
         “There they are,” Stoffels said as they
crested the ridge.  Before them in the plain were
several thousand soldiers.  Pikemen and swordsmen
in the first rank attempting to scale the castle
walls, archer sin the second to give them cover,
while behind them the engineers used their
trebuchets to deadly purpose.  Along the walls of
Masyor archers kept the attackers at bay.  Every
time the soldiers of Mallow Horn raised a ladder,
the defenders would drop pitch down its length
and light them aflame.  The screams of the
soldiers burning to death didn’t carry across the
field, but Verdane had seen enough battles to know what they sounded like.
         Before the banner of the ram thronged at
the walls, while above the banner of blue osprey held firm in its watery perch.
         “Forward march!” Verdane shouted.  His
pikemen kept up the advance and his archers
moving into position. “And fire!” A volley of
arrows streaked into the sky only to fall short
of Dupré’s position.  It didn’t kill anyone, but
it certainly got their attention.
         Trumpets blew, and the attackers rushed
back, the soldiers having fallen into
chaos.  Grenholt and Thrane moved their troops
along either flank, cutting off their
retreat.  One of the horsemen on the field
shouted orders back and forth, sword raised in
the air.  William Dupré.  The trebuchets kept
firing, while from the tower walls the soldiers cheered in defiance.
         After his troops had come halfway down
the hillside, Duke Verdane gave the order to
stop.  The pikemen lowered their weapons in case
of attack, while the archers kept their fingers
upon their bowstrings.  One by one, the
trebuchets ceased.  And soon after the Masyor
catapults fell silent.  All the field of battle,
a moment ago filled with blood and death, now
waited for the new army to declare its intentions.
         As if knowing Verdane’s will, Captain
Nikolai rode up to meet him.  The man had wicked
grin on his scarred face. “What are your orders, your grace?”
         “Send messengers to Lord Dupré and Lord
Guilford.  There is to be a truce while we parlay
in a neutral tent.  This tent will be between the
walls of Masyor and the troops of Mallow
Horn.  My soldiers will build it.  The
consequences for not showing will be death.  I am
not in the mood for charity today.”
         Nikolai grinned all the wider and bowed
in his saddle. “Then none will be offered, your grace.”
         “You would kill your son by marriage?”
Stoffels asked in a quiet voice.
         “He has an heir.” Verdane replied.  What
he didn’t say was that William’s heir was his
ward and safely tucked away in Kelewair. “Anyone
who would upset the peace in my land should fear the loss of their head.”
         Beside him, Anya fumed in silence.
         Before him, Verdane watched as Dupré’s
soldiers stood staring like dogs kicked by their
master.  Atop the walls of Masyor the men seemed
happier, but also subdued.  Banners hung limply
from their poles as the wind died down.  Verdane
did not smile. “The Verdane’s are wolves, Rukas.  We will not suffer discord.”
         “Aye, your grace,” Stoffels replied, a
faint veneer of disgust covering his words. “Aye.”

----------

         “Cas, Dumas, Lis.” Grastalko pointed at
each of the Assingh as he named them one by
one.  The animals flicked their ears as they
grazed on the patches of grass growing between
the ash and poplars that dominated the southern
extremes of the Åelfwood. “Emen, Pilar, Veji.”
         Kisaiya smiled as she ran her hands
along the Veji’s neck.  The Assingh brushed her
snout across the Magyar’s middle, searching for
the treat she knew was hidden in the folds of
Kisaiya’s smock.  With gentle hands, she guided
the Assingh away and rubbed her snout. “Very
good, Grastalko.  Thou hast named them properly.”
         The boy patted Dumas on the shoulder,
and ran his fingers through the wiry, grey hide.
“‘Twill be another year ere I know them all.”
         She laughed, a soft thing full of warmth
and affection.  Grastalko had heard it said from
his friends that Kisaiya had once been withdrawn
and that she wouldn’t talk to anyone.  But after
Nemgas had sought her out and won her heart, she
had become a new person.  Now many of the young
men eyed her and cursed themselves for fools for
having never seen her before.  She belonged to
Nemgas, and would be his again when he returned.
         “Thou shalt learn them as I did.  With
love.” Kisaiya moved between them and stroked the
head of another Assingh whose name Grastalko
didn’t know. “Thou hast practised for but two
weeks and already thou dost know twenty names.”
         Dumas pushed his snout into Grastalko’s
chest knocking the boy backwards.  He stumbled
into one of the trees, and grabbed the branches
to steady himself.  Oddly, he felt like the
branches pushed back to right him.  To think that
so short a time ago he’d wanted to risk becoming
one of them in this enchanted wood!  Even if
tending the over-large donkeys was not the most
glorious of tasks, the animals were friendly and they demanded only his love.
         It wasn’t much purpose, but it was
purpose.  And it was something he could do with
only one good hand.  For now it would do.
         “Aye,” he said as he righted himself. “I
shalt learn the rest as thou dost say.”
         Kisaiya nodded and moved through the
herd to make sure none of the others wandered
off.  The Magyars had stopped in a small dell
with scattered patches of grass between the
trees.  A river came out of the hills and made a
small pond before flowing southwest along the dry
track the wagons followed.  Lily pads and ivy
littered the far shore of the pond, and even so
late in the year, they could still hear the song
of frogs and toads as the day wore on to evening.
         Grastalko still felt disoriented by the
odd northern weather in Galendor.  He knew it
must only be a few weeks until the Feast of
Yahshua’s Birth.  In Stuthgansk the changing of
the year was marked by sweltering
heat.  According to the Magyars, they should have
already seen snow by now.  But ever since they’d
entered the magical forest, they had seen no hint
of snow or rain.  When they could peer through
the canopy of trees to see the sky, they saw a
deep blue marred by the occasional wisp of
cloud.  It was as if they’d stepped out of the world completely.
         And judging by the silent yet jittery
way the Magyars travelled through the forest,
Grastalko knew it was true.  He hadn’t spoken of
the way the woods had moved around him that night
two weeks past.  He wished to ask Dazheen of it,
but he couldn’t bring himself to face Bryone
again.  Just the thought of the seer’s young
apprentice made his stomach tighten in a
knot.  He kicked a loose stone and then swore as he stubbed his toe on a root.
         First the forest helps him, then it
hurts him.  Like his fellow Magyars, he’d be very
happy to be out of this place!
         One thing that did seem to stay true to
the season was the sun.  Though Grastalko was
used to the long days of December they now
started late and ended early.  And each day was
shorter than the last.  Already the bright blue
sky had darkened and what few shadows there were
had disappeared into a uniform gray gloom.
         Grastalko patted the large donkeys on
their backs and felt the brush of their whip-like
tails in his face and shoulders as he watched the
other Magyars serve the last of the food they
dare eat raw.  Not a one of them wanted to light
a fire in the enchanted wood.  Hanaman had
already ordered a forced fast leaving half the
Magyars to go without dinner every night.  It was
Grastalko’s night to feel the hunger, but it
didn’t bother him anymore.  It was better to
think of the emptiness of his stomach than the emptiness of his heart.
         An emptiness that Hanaman sought to fill
in his own way.  The leader of the Magyars had
kept his word and twice now made Grastalko take
his meal with him.  They hadn’t talked much
either time, but there was little Grastalko
wanted to say, and Hanaman seemed to be waiting
for him.  After that first night, he’d tried to
remind himself of Hanaman’s words; his wounds
would heal in time and that another was meant for
him.  Then why did he still think of Bryone every time he thought of love?
         Lis nudged him from behind and Grastalko
laughed.  He turned and hugged the Assingh around
his neck while the beast brayed
pointedly.  Brooding wasn’t going to
help.  Besides, he had to make his rounds
checking over the Assingh, just as Kisaiya had taught him.
         One by one he inspected the
Assingh.  This involved checking their hooves for
cracks, their hides for burrs, and their legs for
scratches from the many brambles that they’d had
to forge through.  After being a squire of the
Driheli, the tasks were second nature to him, and
after the first day, Kisaiya trusted him to let him handle it on his own.
         So he didn’t notice the commotion by the
wagons until Kisaiya brushed his back with one
hand. “Grastalko.  There be something amiss.”
         He stood and patted the jennet on the
flank and stared at the Magyars.  Covered by the
trees, they were limned only by lantern-light,
but they whispered frightfully, the news
travelling through them faster than a juggling
ball.  One face that was painfully familiar
turned to see them standing out with the herd and
then ran toward them, hands hiking up her skirt.
         Grastalko scowled and lowered behind the
Assingh, resting his head against her leg and
holding tight.  He felt the tail swat the back of
his head.  Kisaiya nudged him with her foot, but
he stayed firmly rooted to the ground.
         “Kisaiya!” a voice that stabbed his
heart cried. “Grastalko!” He closed his eyes as
he heard her come around the jennet. “‘Tis Dazheen!  Thou must hear!”
         Grastalko blinked his eyes open in
surprise and stared at Bryone’s
feet.  Dazheen?  What could be wrong with the
seer?  Kisaiya asked the question for him. “What ails her, Bryone?”
         “A vision!  She hast a vision!”
Grastalko lifted his eyes and saw Bryone staring
directly at him.  Her eyes were full of pain but
he knew as soon as he saw her soft brown eyes
that they were for the seer, not for
him.  Although he thought there must be some there too.
         “What didst she see?” Grastalko asked, his words so soft.
         “The Mountain!  The Ash Mountain!”
         “Nae!” Kisaiya gasped.
         “Aye.  Dazheen hast told Hanaman that we
must journey to the Ash Mountain!  Cenziga.”
         Grastalko heard the fear in their
voices.  But all he knew was the flame in his
hand that erupted at the mention of the
mountain’s name.  Buckling over, he cried in
agony as it burned bright.  Both of them reached
down to aid him, but the pain had already silenced every thought in his mind.

----------

         The Bishops either named directly or
implied in the copious letters of the now dead
Bishop Jothay of Eavey were brought one by one to
the Questioner Temple to face three priests
chosen from that order to determine the extent of
their involvement in the conspiracy against
Patriarch Akabaieth.  Further, their goal was to
discern who had cooperated with Jothay in
furthering tensions throughout Pyralis and in the many kingdoms of Galendor.
         Never before in the history of the
Ecclesia had any Patriarch allowed so wide
ranging an investigation, but never before had
the powers of evil corrupted so many including
the Patriarch.  To make sure that the proceedings
did not devolve into hearsay, Kashin, the very
man who’d broken the corruption on Patriarch
Geshter, sat in attendance with the golden sword in his lap.
         He regarded the three black-cowled
Questioners without much joy.  Apart from those
few Bishops like Rott of Marilyth and Temasah of
Abaef about which there was direct evidence
linking them to the schemes to murder the
Patriarch, the Questioners seemed
complacent.  Kashin stewed at the thought that so
many who’d turned a blind eye to the murder of
Patriarch Akabaieth would continue in their priestly office.
         The lead Questioner, a priest in his
forties named Vikedah, was sympathetic to
Kashin’s concerns, the other two were
not.  Vikedah routinely sought to question them
about the correspondence between them and Bishop
Jothay.  But he lacked the incisive mind of
Father Kehthaek in ferreting out gaps in memory.
         “So tell me, your grace, why is it that
you conferred with Bishop Jothay about matters of
precedence in the Council of Bishops?” Vikedah
asked after exhausting the Bishop’s recollection
of Patriarch Akabaieth’s public plans for his
journey to Metamor.  Bishop Selius of Cainos
remained calm through the questioning, his dark
skin and wide features placid and
unconcerned.  As he should be, Kashin reflected,
given that he’d been to Yesulam for all of four
months in the last five years.  If not for
several letters between him and the dead Bishop
of Eavey, there would have been little reason to question him.
         In his think Southlander accent, Selius
replied with equal grace and magnanimity, as if
he were doing the Questioners a favour. “It is
well know that Bishop Jothay was one of those
whom his holiness Patriarch Akabaieth
trusted.  Only Vinsah was more highly esteemed by
his holiness.  I am of Sonngefilde, as was
Jothay.  Thus, it is through Jothay I went to
learn the disposition of the Bishops for the
Council.  Circumstances favoured my personal
participation, so I was eager to learn how I could be of help.”
         Vikedah removed the letter from his
sleeve and asked in more pointed tones, “None of
these things are present in this letter which you
have dated January of this year.  How is it that
you learned of the death of Patriarch Akabaieth
only one month after Yesulam did?  Is it not a
four month journey from Yesulam to Cainos?”
         Kashin lifted his head.  Though he had
helped Kehthaek, Akaleth, and Felsah go over the
letters, he hadn’t known that particular
detail.  How much was being discovered now that
Jothay’s correspondence was being read by dozens
of Questioners?  His fingers curled around the
jewelled sword’s hilt.  Yet it lay there
unresponsive.  They’d yet to find a single other
Bishop tainted by Marzac, a fact that both
relieved and unnerved the former Yeshuel.  Could
it really have only been Jothay and Geshter?  And
could so many have followed those dark paths
without being corrupted by that evil?
         Selius nodded without showing any signs
of distress. “I was on my way to Cainos when news
reached my ears.  I had been in Stuthgansk at the
time conducting a mission for the churches
there.  Bishop Jothay wrote letters to all the
churches of Sonngefilde, and Bishop Maksymiuk
informed me when he received his letter.  I
immediately sought clarification on how things
stood in the Council as events forced me to
return to Cainos immediately.  You will note that
I was not present at the Conclave that elected Geshter Patriarch.”
         Kashin sighed and leaned back in his
seat.  The Questioners seemed to grow bored too
and before long Bishop Selius was dismissed, his
name cleared of all wrongdoing.  The dark-skinned
Bishop nodded to him as he left the stone room in
the Questioner temple.  The three Questioners sat
quietly as if they were conferring without speaking.
         “Is that it then?” Kashin asked once
they were alone. “There were many things you could have asked him.”
         “There was no need,” Videkah replied
with weary resignation in his voice. “There was
little evidence to suggest Selius was complicit
in any of Jothay’s machinations.  Further, Selius
was one of the few who spoke in Vinsah’s
behaviour prior to his excommunication.  All of
those who’ve been implicated spoke against him.”
         “And yet no one seems interested in
undoing his excommunication.  Where is the justice in that?”
         Videkah sighed. “You know that is a
matter beyond my control.  If you wish to pursue that, speak to His Holiness.”
         “I have!” Kashin snapped.  He sheathed
the jewelled blade and rose. “I am sick of this
place.  Send for me when you are ready to begin Questioning the next Bishop.”
         He stormed out of the room and into the
temple courtyard.  He disturbed one black-robed
priest’s meditation as he stomped past but he
didn’t care.  He stood at the courtyard walls
overlooking the parched western lands and stared
into the afternoon sky.  Couldn’t they see what
they were doing?  He was beginning to understand
the frustration the Sondeckis felt.  No matter
how much they sacrificed justice would never be
achieved in full.  So it seemed to be with the
Ecclesia.  Were they not Eli’s Holy
Ecclesia?  Then why did so many cling to darkness within her walls?
         “You appear troubled,” a familiar voice said from behind him.
         Kashin turned and saw Father Akaleth
standing there with his cowl around his
shoulders.  He had a scroll in one hand while the
other rubbed the drawstring between his fingers.
“I assume you know what is being done with all
the Bishop’s Jothay has mentioned in his letters.”
         Akaleth smiled faintly, set the scroll
down on the stonework and then joined him at the
wall.  His eyes stared past the crags and
pastures as if searching for something that he’d
never find beyond the horizon. “I have heard that
Bishop Rott will be spending his last years as a
penitent in a monastery on the shores of
Manzona.  And Bishop Temasah has been sent as a
missionary to Rukilia.  They won’t kill him
there, but it will teach him whether he likes it or not how to love others.”
         “That’s an odd thing to hear coming from
a Questioner.  Especially one as cold as you.”
         Akaleth pursed his lips but didn’t reply
immediately.  He rubbed his thumbs together and
then tapped them to his lips for several minutes
as he pondered the words.  Kashin stared at the
western landscape, his heart slowing as he
allowed his mind to drift into the attentive
sleepiness of a guard riding across leagues of open land.
         “I’m not the same man I once was,” Akaleth said. “Nor are you.”
         “I never knew any Questioner before this.”
         “Nor I a Yeshuel.”
         “I’m not a Yeshuel.”
         Akaleth turned and looked him up and
down.  Kashin was dressed in the black, with his
left sleeve rolled up to meet the stump of his
arm.  The jewelled blade hung from his left hip
and was the only thing in his attire that wasn’t
black.  The tunic and breeches had little tears
in them that he’d repaired himself with whatever
thread he had on hand.  “You may not wear the
green, but you defend a man long after he is
dead.  Everything you do is because of Patriarch
Akabaieth.  And you restrain yourself because of
Patriarch Geshter, despite his possession by an
evil that nearly killed us all.  How much more a
Yeshuel do you need to be before you will admit it to yourself?”
         Kashin tightened his fingers on the
crenellation’s edge. “And you?  I remember what
was done to you.  You have more scars than I’ve
seen on battle-hardened warriors.  Was that
penance for having your gift with light?”
         “Perhaps for even more.” Akaleth
gestured to the sun.  It passed beyond a small
set of clouds rolling in from the sea. “I learned
much about being a man from your Magyar friends
even if their sense of morals was astonishingly
lacking.  And one thing I know is this.  Do not
fear for the Ecclesia, she will survive.  No
matter what this world does to her, no matter
what evils claim her leaders, she is safeguarded
by Yahshua.  And he knew how to come back from the dead.”
         Akaleth smiled a laughing sort of smile,
picked up his scroll, and then walked back to the
temple.  Kashin stayed where he was, trying to
discern whether or not he should be afraid or
laugh too.  Finally, he sighed and
smiled.  Akaleth was right.  “Trust it is then.”
He made the sign of the yew on his chest and left
to see who Father Videkah wished to summon next.

----------

         It took four days for Kaspel to succumb.
         After thrusting the jewelled blade in
his chest, the thing that resembled Berkon fled
into the night.  While the others saw to Kaspel’s
wound, Nemgas tried to follow its trail but there
was no trail to follow.  Berkon bent no blades of
grass nor did he turn any rocks in his
flight.  It was as if he’d vanished back into the
earth from which he’d crawled.
         That Kaspel even lived after driving a
sword through his chest was miracle
enough.  Amile sobbed while Gamran and Pelgan
bore Kaspel back to the wagon, neither daring to
move the sword.  But when Nemgas returned and
examined the wound, they all marvelled at the
black blood that welled up through his skin and
then turned a bright red as it touched the
sword.  They waited several hours until the black
blood no longer came before slowly drawing the
sword out.  Chamag took hot irons and pressed
them into Kaspel’s flesh to seal the wound.
         For hours Kaspel didn’t breathe and his
heart beat sparingly, but he stayed with them
half in and half our of consciousness as they
continued northwards across the Steppe.  He
couldn’t speak of what Berkon had done to him nor
could he say aught of why he’d stabbed himself
with the sword.  But he did tell them that he’d
chosen them and begged them to keep him from becoming like Berkon.
         His last words were to Gamran.  The
little thief was telling him stories of old when
they’d been on thievings together.  Kaspel smiled
as he listened while the sword lay on his
chest.  It was the only thing that kept his pain
at bay.  As Gamran delighted in the intricacies
of escaping a particularly bellicose burgomaster,
Kaspel reached out a hand and clutched Gamran’s arm.
         “He doth suffer worse.  Save him.”
         “Who dost?” Gamran asked, shocked out of
his forced joviality. “Kaspel?”  But the Magyar’s
eyes rolled back in his head and he slumped on the bed. “Nemgas!  Amile!”
         They tended him as best they could,
covering him in ever more blankets to help keep
him warm.  But Kaspel never woke from that
sleep.  The next morning his body was cold and
stiff.  All of them remembered what they’d seen
of Berkon returned from the grave, and so,
solemnly, they burned Kaspel’s body until there
was nothing left but ash and bone.  And then
Nemgas shattered the bone with the jewelled blade until even that was dust.
         Little was said by any of them for days
after.  Nemgas took responsibility for the night
watches from then on.  He counted it his fault
that both Berkon and Kaspel had died, since it
had been Berkon’s arrow that saved his life in
Yesulam.  That same arrow had cost Berkon his
life when the Blood Bound had bit into his flesh and poisoned his blood.
         But, even after a week since Kaspel’s
death, Berkon hadn’t returned.  The days grew
cold, and the nights bitter.  Frost greeted them
on mornings, and already a soft blanket of snow
fell to lace the ground.  They had little wood
for the fires to begin with, and now the grasses were too wet to burn.
         “We must learn if he doth still follow
us,” Chamag insisted as he shovelled the paltry
stew into his maw. “With so few of us, we dare
not hunt for food or waste time cutting
wood.  Unless we be certain that Berkon no longer follows us.”
         “Aye,” Pelgan said.  He stirred his stew
around with a wooden spoon but didn’t eat. “We
hath enough wood for only a few days more.”
         “And food for only a day more than that,” Amile added.
         “I hath not seen him since that night,”
Nemgas replied. “What else dost thee need?  He
didst tempt Kaspel, and he didst tempt
Pelgan.  He dost not tempt me.  Now that we know
of him, he hast left us for easier prey.”
         “‘Tis but one possibility,” Chamag
said.  He finished the last of his stew and set
the bowl aside. “Thou didst see the way thy blade
changed Kaspel’s blood.  And what wast Kaspel
doing with the blade the night we saw him?”
         “Stealing it,” Gelel said.  All eyes
fell on the youth, and he nearly shrank from
their gaze. “Kaspel wast stealing it and taking it to Berkon.”
         “Aye!” Chamag made a chopping motion
with his hands. “Thou dost carry that blade with
thee, Nemgas.  It fears that blade.”
         “Perhaps,” Nemgas admitted.  He tipped
his stew bowl up and drank the broth.  With only
one arm, it was too much trouble to bother with a
spoon. “Perhaps thou dost speak true.  Perhaps it
hast not appeared because of the blade.  Then I
wilt leave it with thee this night and watch unarmed.”
         Chamag shook his head. “‘Twill still see
thee.  ‘Twill see thee and stay away.  It must be another.”
         “Who?” Amile asked in a quiet voice.
         “I shan’t,” Pelgan said.  He shivered
and shook his head. “I hath been tempted by
Berkon once.  I wilt ne’er do it again.”
         “I couldst do it,” Gamran said in a little voice.
         “Nae!” Chamag snapped. “Thou art lithe
and quick.  Thou couldst climb down the wagon and
we’d ne’er know better.  If Berkon comes, Nemgas
must be ready to chase him down and slay
him.  There be only one here who wouldst make
noise climbing down.  ‘Twould be I.”
         “I do not think this a good idea,”
Nemgas said, brows drawing together.  They’d
defeated the Driheli knights and the evil master
that had sent them to kill him.  Through that
he’d been resolute and certain.  Now that one of
their own stalked them he felt diffident and morose.
         “Nae, I dost not like it either,” Chamag
admitted. “But I hath great height and girth.  If
Berkon shouldst come and seek to draw me away,
thou wilt hear it and canst come to my aid.”
         “Chamag, please care for thyself!” Amile
said, putting one hand on his burly shoulder.
         But the axeman kept his eyes on Nemgas. “Thou knowest I speak true.”
         Nemgas took a long breath then nodded.
“Aye.  I wilt wait in the wagon with the blade in
hand.  When I hear thee move I shalt come to thy
aid.  But if thou dost not see anything, then we
wilt know Berkon hast not followed us.  We must
hunt for food and wood ere we starve and freeze.”
         Chamag frowned, but his eyes were set. “Agreed.”

         With their wood running low, the paltry
fire they’d made died shortly after Chamag took
his place atop the carriage.  The wood creaked
when he walked across the top, but after settling
down in the middle it quieted.  The horses
snorted and settled in for yet another cold night
on the Steppe.  Chamag wrapped a second cloak
over his shoulders and huddled down to keep
warm.  His broad axe lay across his lap.
         A couple hours after the fire died
clouds rolled in and blotted out the stars and
waxing half-moon.  Snow began to fall soon after,
and Chamag watched as the distant plains
disappeared completely.  Without the stars he
could see nothing at all so he lit the lantern at
his side to provide some light.  He kept the
lantern just out of sight so as not to ruin his
eyes, but at least he could watch was the gentle
layers of white flakes descended and coated the
grasses and low hills.  Before long his once
colourful cloak became a blanket of white.
         Chamag wasn’t sure what he’d hoped to
see that night.  He did hope that Berkon was gone
to trouble them no more, but at the same time,
after Kaspel’s death, he also hoped there would
be some way they could save Berkon too.  What
foul power had brought him out of the grave and
gave him the ability to poison their blood?  Was
the friend and fellow Magyar they’d laughed with,
thieved with, performed with, ate with, slept
with, rode with, and all around lived with still
in there somewhere inside that corrupted body?
         The night air was still but for the
falling snowflakes.  He felt no breeze and was
grateful for that.  His ears heard nothing but
Gelel’s snoring, and even that was faint and
could easily be put form his mind.  The horses
slept soundlessly, and around him the only thing
else he heard was the faint brush of snow on the
grasses as they landed.  It was like a soft
crunching as if the word were growing delicate crystals.
         Deep down he knew that he shouldn’t
expect anything.  Whatever had become of Berkon
had run every time it had been discovered.  Now
that they all knew about him, surely he must have
moved on to easier prey.  Could Berkon have
rushed ahead to hurt the Magyars still with the wagons?  He hoped not.
         Something snapped in the
distance.  Chamag grabbed the axe and readied to
rap the haft on the carriage top.  But he heard
nothing else for several minutes.  With his free
hand he lifted the lamp and peered into the
darkness.  The Steppe was cold and empty, what
remained of the grasses either coated or buried
with snow.  He sighed and began lowering his axe.
         And then he paused. Something brushed
his ears, a soft tendril of air that circled the
lobes and caressed the flesh inside.  Chamag
opened his mouth to speak, but the cold air
sucked his breath away.  The second cloak seemed
to lift away; all along his back the winter’s
chill touch crept.  Slowly, he turned his head,
that gentle caress in his ear numbing every nerve
in his body that wanted him to scream.
         There, standing on the carriage behind
im was something that made him tremble.  One leg
was human, but the other was a clot of fur, with
the limp head of some canine beast pressed into
the man’s thigh.  The lids drew back, and golden
eyes gleamed from the beastly visage.  A paw
wrapped in bloodied linens stood next to the human foot.
         Chamag lifted his eyes, and saw a
tattered but colourful jerkin, crossed arms, and
then the smiling visage of Berkon.  His dark lips
parted, and a sweet whispering song curled from
his tongue down about the air, eddying this way
and that, before settling into his ear and
wrapping itself like molasses in his mind.
         The burly Magyar turned his head back
around, setting the lamp down and letting the axe
handle lower to his lap.  His muscles relaxed,
head bending forward exposing his neck to the icy
touch of the air.  He felt Berkon draw closer
behind him, a tongue brush out and over his neck,
and then up to his ear.  His voice, so beautiful
and terrible, whispered into his ear, “Thou shalt wake no one.”
         Chamag breathed.  It seemed to be the
only thing he could do.  He felt Berkon’s face
cover his neck, and then a stab as his teeth sunk
into the flesh.  A dark emptiness seemed to fill
him as Berkon drank.  Wasn’t there something he
should do?  His eyes stared at the axe in his
hand.  The flat of the blade rested against rim
of the carriage’s roof.  A quick swing and it
would... would what?  He didn’t want to hurt his friend!
         Berkon fed.  Chamag felt something
burning inside him, a cold far worse than
anything the winter could conjure.  It seemed to
coax him, ever onward.  All he wanted to do was
savour the burning sensation, all else was
immaterial.  He relaxed and exulted in the fangs piercing his neck.
         His fingers uncurled.
         The axe slipped from his hand, the blade
smacking into the side of the carriage as it fell
to the ground.  The door to the wagon burst open,
and Nemgas jumped onto the driver’s bench with
the golden sword in his one hand.  Chamag felt
Berkon tug and draw free with a hiss of
anger.  Nemgas turned, and in that moment, the
lamplight caught his eyes.  They were but black,
a burning black that felt rage and fear at the same time.
         “Thou wilt die!” Nemgas said, vaulting
to the carriage top.  Berkon stepped back, the
jackal-head at his hip snapping and
snarling.  Chamag tumbled from the carriage top into the snow.
         Berkon took one look at the sword and
jumped from the carriage.  Out the back door
charged Pelgan and Gamran.  They slammed into
Berkon and knocked him to the ground before
spinning away into the snow banks.  Nemgas leapt
down, boot smashing into Berkon’s deformed
leg.  The beastly head howled, while Berkon’s
arms grabbed clots of snow and flung them in Nemgas’s face.
         Nemgas drove the sword forward but
Berkon spun to one side and kicked with his other
leg.  It caught Nemgas behind the knee and he
slipped.  Berkon jumped to his feet, and then
reeled as Pelgan threw a knife into his
neck.  Black blood drooled around the wound and
steam rose from the blade.  Berkon plucked it out
and tossed it aside. The blade sizzled and continued to disintegrate.
         “What in all the hells art thee?” Nemgas
snapped as he got back to his feet.  Gamran,
Pelgan and he formed a triangle around
Berkon.  Gelel stood in the carriage doorway with
a bow drawn.  Amile stood over Chamag who fumbled helplessly in the snow.
         Berkon smiled, his face smeared with
Chamag’s blood. “What thou shouldst be.” He
bolted between Pelgan and Gamran, but Nemgas was
faster.  He jumped forward and drove the point of
the sword into Berkon’s side, slicing downwards
through his normal leg until he pinned him to the
ground.  Berkon screamed a sound so hideous that
Gelel dropped his bow to cover his ears.
         The blood steamed and sizzled.  The
jackal head snapped at Nemgas.  He rolled to one
side, lifted the sword, and swung it through the
jackal’s head.  Blood splattered his shirt and he
yelled in pain as it burned his skin.  The
jewelled blade steamed and glowed bright, illuminating the entire field.
         Berkon rolled onto his side, dark,
lifeless eyes transfixed by the blade.  His lips
pulled back to expose his fangs, and he lunged
one more time for Nemgas.  Nemgas rolled
backwards, pointing the sword before him and
thrusting.  The end emerged from the back of
Berkon’s head.  Berkon chomped down, and Nemgas
snatched back his hand leaving the sword through the monster’s skull.
         As Nemgas crawled away Berkon writhed on
the ground, the sword pulsing bright and in a
insistent irregular pattern.  Nemgas felt his
whole body throb with it, and he felt the power
of the mountain slamming into them all.  If
Berkon screamed he couldn’t hear it.  Berkon’s
body curled inward on itself, the sword sinking
back into the flesh as if it were being swallowed.
         And then, just as the tip disappeared
within, Berkon lay still.  His flesh sunk against
his bones and the grotesque leg turned to
dust.  After only a minute there was nothing left
but skin drawn taut over bones.
         “What happened to the sword?” Gelel asked.
         “The sword!” Nemgas swore as he crawled
back over to the body.  He beat at the skull with
his fist until it shattered but there was no
sword inside.  Likewise his ribcage and hips.  The jewelled blade was gone.
         Nemgas climbed to his feet and rubbed at
the burn marks in his shirt. “What of Chamag?”
         “He hath been bitten!” Amile cried. “He wilt die too!”
         “The sword aided Kaspel.  It restored
his blood,” Gamran pointed out. “Wast it truly lost?”
         “What dost thou see in that pile of dust
and bones?  Berkon took the sword with him into
death!” Nemgas snapped, angry at his own
foolishness.  He should never have agreed to
Chamag’s plan.  Now their friend would die
too.  Unless... “There be one way.  The sword
healed Kaspel’s blood because of the power of
Cenziga.” Gelel winced at the name of the Ash
Mountain, but the others seemed to welcome it
over the sight of what their friend had become.
“To Cenziga we must take Chamag.  ‘Twill heal him if we dost hurry.”
         “Shalt we leave first thing in the morning?”
         “First we put Chamag in the wagon.  And
then we leave,” Nemgas said.  His fellow Magyars
nodded and turned to help their friend.  Already
a light dusting of snow covered the desicated remains of the monster.