[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LIV (ATTN: Raven)

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Tue Mar 4 19:58:29 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org
[mailto:mkguild-bounces at lists.integral.org] On Behalf Of C. Matthias
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 10:20 PM
To: Metamor Keep
Subject: [Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LIV (ATTN: Raven)

Raven, I need you to review the scenes with
Elvmere and Nylene for accurate Lothanasi stuff.

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LIV

New Prayers

         “I know I have been negligent this last
week in keeping you informed.  But the news I
received when last we dined was the most horrible
news I could imagine receiving.” Titian Verdane
paused as he studied the Lords Grenholt, Thrane
and Stoffels.  Grenholt leaned closer, while
Thrane and Stoffels remained politely
attentive.  He had debated informing them of Duke
Otakar’s conditions, but after a week with only
his Castellan, his Steward, and his second son
privy to his inmost thoughts, it was time to lay
out his hand for his vassals, no matter their dubious loyalty.
         “What have you heard, your grace?”
Thrane asked, his oily smile far too wide.
         “Hyman Calladar has betrayed us.  In
exchange for being allowed to expunge the
Ecclesia from Bozojo, he has declared fealty to
Duke Otakar of Salinon, and has handed my son over as a hostage.”
         Grenholt shot to his feet. “That
cur!  We should march on Bozojo at once!”
         “And kill my son?” Verdane snapped. “I
think not.  Barruw, think through this
clearly.  Calladar knew I would send somebody
that mattered to me to ensure his cooperation in
our little war.  Once he had Jaime, he knew he
would be safe from revenge.  We cannot attack
Bozojo, nor can we move to reclaim control of
that land.  Not unless Jaime makes a miraculous escape.”
         Stoffels grimaced and tapped his fingers
together.  If Verdane wasn’t mistaken, the look
of concern on the Lord of Ralathe’s brow was
genuine. “This changes everything.  If Otakar has
control of Bozojo, he has control of the trade routes on the
Marchbourne.”
         “He and Duke Hassan of Metamor,” Verdane
said.  After a week, he could finally speak of
his loss without growling like his sigil the
wolf. “My spies have informed me that Hassan and
Otakar have signed a treaty honouring each
other’s territory.  In other words, they
conspired to hamstring the Southern Midlands.  We
have effectively been cut off from all lands
north of the Marchbourne.  It is only a matter of
time before they divide Lanton, Hawk’s Point, and
perhaps even Elarial between themselves.”

>>>Wow! Talk about the big lie!

         “Surely you don’t think Otakar can hold
Bozojo forever.” Thrane glanced at the map. “This
stretches his armies very thin.  He will have
enough trouble maintaining River’s Fork, let
alone lay claim to Lanton.  Lanton is ardently
Follower — I doubt they will succumb to a
Lothanasi duchy.  Especially one that still claims ties with the elves.”
         “Couldn’t you send the Wolf’s Claw to
rescue Jaime?” Grenholt suggested.
         “Otakar will expect it,” Verdane replied. “If they fail, my son
dies.”
         “Then you will be free to reclaim Bozojo,” Stoffels pointed
out.
         Verdane drove his fist into the table.
“Do you not understand, Rukas?  He has my
son!  My other son has joined the Ecclesia.  My
daughter has wed a madman.  My grandson would
rather be kennelmaster than King!  My...” he
caught himself before his tirade took him
further.  He leaned back in his chair and rubbed
his forehead with one hand. “I will do what I
must to preserve my line.  Otakar may have
hobbled our trade, but he can do no more.  Not for some time.”
         “So what would you have of us?” Thrane asked.
         “Before we can consider what must be
done about Bozojo and Otakar, we must end the
conflict between Masyor and Mallow
Horn.  Grenholt, what word have you received from the fork?”
         Grenholt stroked his beard with one hand
and grimaced. “Our advance scouts have confirmed
the earlier reports about the ships sailing up
the Southbourne.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re in the lake
already.”
         “And what of Dupré?”
         “He’s had his armies marshalled and they
have marched north of Mallow Horn, but only a day’s walk.”
         “He wants to march on Masyor,” Verdane
surmised.  He rubbed his chin, trying to still
the anger in his heart.  He couldn’t afford to
think about Otakar and his son right now.  It
took all of his effort to turn his mind back to
his lands. “Ready all of our troops.”
         “But your grace,” Thrane objected,
“without Calladar’s knights, we cannot block Lord Guilford in.”
         “No, but Lord Dupré can still do that
for us.  If he doesn’t move on Masyor, we need to
find some way to trick him into attacking.”
         Stoffels leaned forward, eyes
appraising. “Did you have something in mind?”
         Verdane didn’t, and that was the
trouble.  But he didn’t say anything.  Leaning
forward, he tapped on the map, pointing at the
armies arrayed. “Ships form Llarth are sailing

>>>Typo - from not form

into the lake.  Supplies come across the lake
from Weislyn, as well as troops across the
Angle.  Guilford is trapped in his castle, or
will be soon.  Only Dupré and our forces have
mobility on land.  The question becomes, what
will convince him to attack.  I don’t see that he has any option left.”
         The doors to the chamber opened, and
Captain Nikolai stood in the doorway.  His tabard
was stained with dirt and he stank of horse.
“Forgive me your grace but this message couldn’t wait.”
         Verdane stood, and quickly so did his
vassals. “What message have you brought, Captain?”
         The head of the Wolf’s Claw nodded
briefly to the lords, and then stared his
sovereign in the eyes. “Your grace, Lord Dupré
has just launched a siege on Masyor.”
         He knew he shouldn’t, but he felt
immeasurable relief at the news. “Then we ride
today.  Captain, we leave within the hour for the
fork, and then for Masyor.” Now he had but one
course of action.  Now he could put an end to the
madness tearing his lands apart.
         “Very good, your grace.”
         “Wait,” Verdane snapped, holding up his
hands. “Captain, take the Wolf’s Claw to Mallow
Horn and collect my daughter.  I want her in my
camp when we march behind Dupré’s forces.”
         Nikolai nodded. “It will be done as you
wish, your grace.” His vassals stirred
uncomfortably, not a one of them certain anymore
what their liege would do.  The Black Wolf of
Cabadair Woods, as he was once called, liked it that way.
         His vassals did not sound nearly as enthused.

>>>They have a right to be. He's wacko!

----------

         Despite being docked at the Silvassan
wharfs, the Calf gently rocked in the river’s
current.  Elvmere slept peacefully, lulled to
sleep as if cradled in his mother’s arms.  His
Lady briefly visited him in his dreams, softly
cooing to him, and petting the back of his head
as he curled against her legs, but he could
remember little else.  When he finally woke, it
was to the sound of footsteps above.
         Though dawn had come, the room’s sole
porthole faced north.  The near darkness felt
good to his eyes, and he slipped from the bed and
pulled the acolyte’s robe over his head.  He
shook his head to right his fur, and then stepped
to the porthole to peer out at the city.
         The wharves were bustling with activity,
but only a handful of sailors moved along the
wharves next to the Calf.  Most of them seemed to
pay attention to the larger ship docked behind
them.  The Indigo.  He wondered when Nylene would be coming.
         The sound of footsteps approached, and a
moment later there was a knock at his door.
“Elvmere, it is I, Elsevier.  May I come in?”
         “Do enter, Master Elsevier.”
         The stout merchant came through the door
and shut it behind him. “How are you this morning, my friend?”
         “I slept well.  I am hungry though.  Do
you have any fruits or breads to break fast
with?  I don’t suppose you have any fish just yet.”
         “Fish you will have in abundance once we
set sail.” Elsevier smiled. “We have nets,
trained fishermen, and I employ a very good
cook.  As to fruit and bread, those I can
offer.  I will return with them in a few
minutes.  I prefer not to reveal you to my crew
until we are underway.  I’m sure you understand.”
         Elvmere’s striped tail flicked back and
forth, and he chortled under his breath. “I am
surprised you have any intention of revealing me
to your crew.  I expected to spend the voyage in
this room.  I spent part of my journey to
Silvassa in a grain barrel, so this is far more commodious.”
         The merchant’s eyes widened in surprise,
and then he laughed in a way that set the
raccoon’s instincts at ease.  He smiled and
patted Elvmere on the shoulder. “You are an
interesting fellow, young Elvmere.  I hope that
you will share the story of your adventures and
how you came to be under Priestess Nylene’s
tender care.  But it must wait for later.  Wait
here and I will return with your meal.”
         Elvmere nodded politely and his host
closed the door behind him.  Elvmere straightened
out the white acolyte’s robe and knelt at the
bedside, paws folded in prayer.  But to whom
should he pray?  He barely knew the names of the
gods, let alone how to properly address them.  A
part of him recalled the many liturgical prayers
he would make to Eli and Yahshua.  A soft growl
reverberated in the back of his throat.  Those
prayers were closed to him now.  He belonged to the pantheon, or he
would.
         Elsevier returned before the raccoon had
even settled on any of the few prayers he
recalled Nylene teaching him.  He stood and
smiled, tail twitching beneath the robe.  He
smelled the small loaf of bread before he saw it,
and knew it to be cool, but fresh. “That smells
very nice,” he said as the merchant entered.  On
a small plate lay the loaf and an apple.  In his
other hand, Elsevier carried a small book whose
binding appeared well-worn. “What’s that?”
         The merchant smiled, revealing his
second chin. “I have been blessed with many
children, and though my livelihood takes me from
them for many months of the year, I am proud of
each of them.  This belonged to my boy Benyan,
who became an acolyte and served in the temple.  It was his prayer
book.”
         “It was?” Elvmere could hear the faint
tones of an old wound in the merchant’s voice. “What happened to your
son?”
         “A few years ago, a sickness came though
Silvassa.  Some few died of it, including my
Benyan.  Priestess Nylene saved the lives of
three of my other children stricken by the
sickness, but in Benyan it came too quickly.”
Elsevier put the book to his lips and he stared
at Elvmere’s white robe, his eyes flush with
memory. “I would like you to have it.” He held it out with both hands.

>>>Wow! That is a great gift!

         Elvmere smiled, feeling humbled by the
gift. “This s a gift of great price.  Thank you,
Master Elsevier.” He put one paw beneath the
book, and the other atop it, his claws gently
touching the merchant’s fingertips.  Elsevier
didn’t recoil, but slowly let go, and then rubbed
his hands as if washing them.  Either from the
book or from the raccoon’s touch, he didn’t know.
         “I need to prepare the Indigo now.  When
you feel the Calf row out into the river, do not
fret.  We need to bring it alongside the Indigo is Nylene is to join
us.”
         “Of course.  The gods blessing be with you.”
         “And with you.  I shall return with our
beloved Priestess.” Elsevier closed the door
behind him again, and this time the footsteps did not return.
         Elvmere cradled the prayer book in his
paws, admiring the decorative cover.  He gingerly
opened it and turned each page, admiring the
illumination for each prayer.  On the fifth page
he found a prayer of blessing, knelt, and began
to recite, “Great Kammoloth, I beseech your
blessing upon your servant Elsevier of
Silvassa.  Bless his family and his house, his
work and his service, his servants and his
beasts.  Bless him Great Kammoloth, and all those who love him.
         “Akkala, preserve him and his family in good health.
         “Velena, let no finger disfigure him or his family.
         “Dokorath, protect him and his family from all their enemies.
         “Dvalin, give him rain and sun for his crops, and winds for his
mills.
         “Artela, provide him fuel to warm his
family, and food to sate their hunger.
         “Yajiit, may his fuel ever burn, and his family never suffer
cold
         “Samekkh, grant him wisdom to provide
for his family and all his loved ones.
         “Wvelkim, make his journeys sure and
quick, and reunite his family at their end.
         “Great Kammoloth, grant him these
favours now and for the rest of his life.”
         Elvmere knelt a moment more, head bowed
in prayer, and then flipped through the prayer
book to find a blessing before a meal.

----------

         Temple guards rode ahead of their
carriage, while a second carriage followed with
their supplies.  Other than the guard, Priestess
Nylene hin’Lofwine took her leave of Silvassa
without fanfare.  The Lothanas had not even come
to bid her farewell, but she knew he was only too
happy to have her gone for a time.  She regretted
that she wouldn’t be able to learn more of his
heretical acts, but she felt greater need in Elvmere.
         If she could instill in him an honest
and humble devotion to the Pantheon, she would
achieve more than all her subterfuge in Silvassa
could ever hope to accomplish.  She could never
recall a more eager student, except perhaps
Malger Sutt, but that one had long been marked to
serve Nocturna so his conversion hadn’t been as surprising.
         But Elvmere, once the natural successor
to the late Patriarch Akabaieth, had no such
spiritual connection.  Through whatever trials
he’d face din the year since Akabaieth’s murder,
he’d come to believe in the Pantheon, even if he
did not know them.  Only his commitment to the
Ecclesia kept him from acting on this
belief.  Once excommunicated, and once the
tatters of his life had settled, he’d done the
only thing he could — he followed his beliefs into the arms of the
Lothanasi.
         Nylene hin’Lofwine would make sure those
arms were both welcoming and loving.
         All she had to do now was escape the
Lothanas’s gaoler, Thelina.  She sat opposite the
priestess in the carriage, her hands folded
serenely in prayer.  But her eyes watched Nylene
and the road outside.  Did she suspect
duplicity?  Thelina was not foolish enough to
doubt that Nylene knew her true purpose.  And
Nylene had rebuffed her several times since the
raccoon’s arrival.  There would be reason enough for any suspicion.
         Whether she suspected duplicity or not,
Nylene couldn’t risk the acolyte’s mind being
sharp and clear.  She smiled and asked, “Have you ever left Silvassa,
Thelina?”
         She looked up in surprise. “Have I what, Priestess?”
         “Have you ever left Silvassa before?”
         Thelina shook her head. “No, Priestess,
I have not.  I was born within the city
walls.  My parents could not afford to feed me so
sent me to the temple where I have been ever since.”
         Nylene felt some sympathy for her and
wondered if there might be some way to undo the
spiritual damage done to her by the Lothanas.  If
not for Elvmere, Nylene would gladly have taken
her and tried to free her of her master’s
influence.  Perhaps another opportunity would
come.  These thoughts she kept to herself, hidden
behind a pleasant smile and a kind word. “Then
the gods will bless you with many new things on our voyage.”
         “Have you left Silvassa before,
Priestess?”  This was a question of both courtesy
and curiosity.  For once, Thelina wanted to know
something about Nylene for herself.  It was
refreshing, and Nylene’s smile widened.
         “Not since I was a girl.  I was sent to
Isenport to serve there for three years before my
initiation.  It was a long time ago.” The
carriage jolted lightly and came to a
stop.  Beyond the shouts and japes of sailors
were accompanied by snapping sails and creaking
wood. “Would you see to my belongings? I don’t
want them damaged when they’re loaded on board.”
         “We should first see to the
arrangements, Priestess.  Master Elsevier may
boast, but if they are not acceptable we should decline his
hospitality.”
         “Master Elsevier is a benefactor of the
temple!” Nylene made sure the horror was obvious
in her voice. “And he has always been generous to
us.  We should not insult him by refusing his offer.”
         Thelina frowned as she rose and opened
the carriage door.  But even she knew she’d
misspoke. “Forgive me, Priestess.  You are
right.  We should be grateful for whatever Master Elsevier can provide.”
         Nylene followed her onto the street,
where a pair of temple guards stood ready to
escort her.  At least they wouldn’t be coming
aboard.  She would have trouble enough escaping her watchful acolyte.
         Across the street she was the wharves,
and coming down the gangplank of a five-masted
galleon was the paper merchant Elsevier.  He
waddled down and waved to them.  Nylene walked
past her guards to greet him.  The guards and Thelina hurried to keep
up.
         “Good morning to you, Priestess Nylene
hin’Lofwine.” Elsevier bowed once he reached the
street. “May Dvalin grant us a sunny day, and Wvelkim a speedy voyage.”
         Nylene traced the signs of Dvalin and
Wvelkim before her and favoured the merchant with
a warm smile. “I shall say a prayer for their
aid.  This is my acolyte, Thelina.  She will see
that my things are properly arranged on board.”
         “Gareth!” Elsevier shouted.  A burly
sailor walked down the gangplank, followed by
three other men of similar physique. “Please see
to the loading of Priestess Nylene hin’Lofwine’s
belongings.  The acolyte, Thelina, will instruct you.”
         “Of course.  If you would, milady, show us where you want her
things.”
         Thelina bore an unhappy moue, but she
turned to Elsevier and asked, “Will there be room
enough in the Priestess’s quarters for all her things?”
         Elsevier frowned, and then waved to the
gangplank. “If you’d follow me, you can see for yourself.”
         Gareth and his men waited on the wharf
while Elsevier brought Nylene and Thelina on
board.  On the main deck they saw a wide opening
for the hold, with winches and pulleys erected
ready to lower cargo.  Elsevier led them back
beneath the aft castle into a narrow hallway.  On
the left was a single door, while on the right
there were three.  The door at the far end led to Elsevier’s quarters.
         “I am giving you this room,” Elsevier
said, opening the door on the right.  It had a
single bed, a mirror over a chest of drawers, and
a closet for clothes.  Sconces hung from the
walls.  A set of three portholes stared out onto
the wharf.  All together, the furniture used most
of the room’s available space. “It’s the
Captain’s room when I’m not on board.  He’ll be sleeping wit the first

>>>Typo - with not wit

 mate.”
         Nylene stepped inside and ran his
fingers along the footboard. “This will suffice,
Master Elsevier, but I fear we will not be able
to fit all of my belongings in here.”
         “And where will I be sleeping, Master Elsevier?” Thelina asked.
         “You may take one of the rooms on the
right.  I understand you have few possessions of your own?”
         Thelina nodded, her moue growing into a
full-fledged scowl. “And where shall we put the Priestess’s belongings?”
         Nylene put a hand on her arm and smiled.
“The ceremonial garments can wait until we reach
Metamor.  I only need my prayer books and
symbols, my toiletries, and my day-to-day
clothes.  That we can fit with ease.  Bring those
first, and the rest we can store in the
hold.  They will keep there until we reach Metamor.”
         “Of course,” Elsevier replied. “I will have Gareth see to it.”
         “Thelina, instruct Gareth in what needs to go where.”
         “And what of you, Priestess?” Thelina asked, still quite
unhappy.
         “I will be fine here.  I would like to
sit for a while, and then I think I will rest
until we’re underway.” Nylene sat down on the
edge of the bed, her eyes drooping.
         Thelina nodded. “Very well, Priestess. I shall see to your
things.”
         Elsevier followed the acolyte out, and
then a minute later returned. “I’ve signalled the
Calf to swing around our stern.  Gareth knows to
keep Thelina occupied.  They should be outside now.”
         Nylene stood and walked to the
portholes.  Peering through one, she could see
the acolyte ordering the sailors with sharp arm
gestures.  Two of the men had her day-to-day
clothes chest between them and were carrying it
to the gangplank. “Do you have the toiletries I requested on the Calf?”
         “Aye, everything you need except your
clothes waits for you there.  I spoke with
Elvmere this morning, and he seemed in good
spirits.  He eagerly awaits you on board.  We’ll
be joining him soon.  I’ll have my first mate
stand outside your door to keep Thelina from disturbing your rest.”
         “And your captain?”
         “He will set sail upriver in an
hour.  With luck, Thelina won’t realize she’s
been tricked for hours.  Either way, my captain
will sail one day upstream, and then follow us to
Isenport, where they will wait until we return
from Metamor.” Elsevier frowned. “You will be
returning from Metamor, won’t you?”
         She nodded. “I do wish to make a
pilgrimage there, but my chief concern is
Elvmere’s safe return home.  I will see that he
is accepted in the Lothanasi temple there and then return to you.”
         “Very good.  I will check on the
Calf.  Once you have what you need, come to my
quarters.” So saying, Elsevier turned down the
hall pulled the door closed, but left it ajar.
         Nylene returned to the bed and laid
down.  She put one hand over her eyes, and
breathed slowly.  The bed was surprisingly
comfortable, so she stuffed her heel beneath her
knee to keep from accidentally falling
asleep.  That little bit of discomfort would suffice.
         She listened to the sounds of the
sailors.  Apart from the heavy footfalls, there
were also shouts and the occasional colourful
expression.  Into this she heard Thelina’s cool
voice providing constant instruction.  A moment
later, two sailors pushed the door open and
brought her clothes inside.  Thelina followed and
asked, “Priestess, where do you wish your clothes placed?”
         “Over by the wall beneath the
portholes.  Thelina may arrange them later.” She
waved one arm, and then let it fall back across
her face.  Behind them came the other two sailors
and a second chest. “And put that one next to the first.”
         The sailors trooped out the door, but
Thelina lingered a moment more.  Her acolyte
asked, “Is there anything I can provide you, Priestess?”
         “Nay.  Let me rest for a time.  Make
sure the sailors do not damage any of the other chests.”
         Thelina nodded and finally left.  Nylene
breathed a sigh of relief as the acolytes steps
took her back to the main deck.  She sat up,
brushed the hair from her face, and crossed to
the portholes.  She watched Thelina follow the sailors back down the
gangplank.
         Hurrying, Nylene opened the one chest
and grabbed as many of her clothes as she
could.  She’d made sure to pack those that she
would need on top, including all her
undergarments.  Standing, she glanced out the
porthole again.  The sailors had taken four more
chests and set them on the wharf.  Thelina stood
with hands on her hips watching the process.  She
kept glancing back at the galleon, lips curled in a frown.
         Nylene slipped out the door and down the
hallway.  Elsevier’s door was ajar.  She pushed
inside, and found him leaning out one of his
square windows at the stern.  He yanked his head
back in, saw her, and then waved her closer.
“Quick.  The Calf’s in position below us.  Put
your clothes in this bag, and toss it to
them.  Then you’ll have to climb down.”
         “Climb down?” Nylene stuffed her
garments in the cloth sack on his table. “What about you?”
         “I’ll follow you down in a minute.  I
have to give the captain and the mate their final
instructions.” Elsevier stepped away from the
window and indicated a pair of ropes dangling out
the window. “Just climb down this.  Don’t worry,
it’s secure.  And they won’t be able to see you from the wharf.”
         Nylene nodded, and cinched the bag
tight.  She peered out the window, and saw the
schooner nestled against the galleon’s
stern.  Several men stood aboard looking up at
her, one of them holding the other end of the
rope ladder.  She didn’t see Elvmere
anywhere.  Turning back, she smiled to the
merchant. “Thank you, Master Elsevier.  May the gods be with you.”
         He smiled and lingered in his doorway a
moment more. “You have given me an opportunity to
repay you for all the kindness you have shown me,
Priestess.  Now go.  Gareth cannot keep her for long.”
         Nylene leaned out the window and held
the sack out.  One of the sailors held out his
arms.  She dropped it, and he managed to catch
it.  She looked at the ladder, and one of the
sailors waved for her to climb down.  She closed
her eyes and lifted one leg, stretching to get it
over the window sill.  Her robe caught on the
wood and tore between her legs.  Well, there was
no point in being careful then.  She shoved her
leg out, foot searching for one of the
planks.  She kicked the stern several times
before finding it.  When she got her second leg
over, she heard a few polite chuckles from the
sailors, as well as one inappropriate whistle.
         Nylene ignored them, and started down
the ladder.  Her breath held tight as she moved
one hand and one foot at a time.  She’d always
hated ladders, and as she clutched to this one,
she found she couldn’t remember the last time she’d been on one.
         Swallowing her fear, Nylene reminded
herself for whom she did this.  She could see the
raccoon’s face, form his narrow snout with black
nose and white whiskers, to the dark mask of fur
covering his eyes and upper cheeks.  She imagined
the white band on his forehead and the rest of
his cheeks, and behind that, his grey-furred
triangular ears.  Set in the middle were his dark
green eyes, soft and aged in a way his youthful
body couldn’t explain.  That face gave her the
courage to climb down the ladder.
         “I have you,” one of te sailor said as
she reached the final rung.  He took her about
the waist and guided her feet to the deck.
         She swayed a bit and smiled, pushing
away from him. “Thank you.  Show me to my
quarters so I can become presentable again.”
         They led her to the aft, and down a
short set of stairs.  The sailor pointed to a
door on the left. “Here’s the room Master
Elsevier said was yours.  And here are your
things.” He handed her the bag, and then rushed
back on deck.  Nylene pulled her robe closer
around her, noting the tear all the way up her
legs to her waist.  Maybe Elsevier would buy her
a sewing needle and thread in Isenport.
         She knocked on the door and asked quietly, “Elvmere?”
         Something stirred beyond, and the door
opened.  Before her stood the raccoon man in his
acolyte’s robe.  He smiled when he saw her, and
invited her in with the wave of one paw.  She
stepped inside and saw a simple bed, upon which
lay a familiar prayer book. “That belongs to Elsevier.  It was his
boy’s.”
         Elvmere nodded and closed the door
behind her.  He slid past her and took the book
in his paws.  He knelt down next to the bed, his
claws turning te pages slowly. “He gave it to
me.  I’ve been reading through the prayers, but I
haven’t found one yet to say before a voyage.  I
know I should ask for Wvelkim’s favour, but I don’t know how.”
         She smiled and gently stroked his
shoulder. “I will teach you one.  First let me change.”
         “I will study the prayers,” he replied.
         Nylene smiled and squirmed out of her ruined robe.
         A few minutes later, just as she’d
finished changing, the boat rocked and she had to
sit on the bed to keep her balance.  Elvmere
glanced up, and stared at the porthole. “We’re
moving again.  Do you think it worked?”
         “Let us see,” Nylene said.  She knelt by
the porthole, and stared up at the decks of the
Indigo.  The galleon towered over them, its sails
giants reaching for the sky.  Sailors climbed the
rigging, but nowhere could they see Thelina.
         Somebody knocked on the door. “Nylene,
Elvmere, it’s me.” Elsevier called.
         Elvmere opened the door and grinned, his
striped tail twitching nervously. “Did it work?”
         The merchant grinned widely. “Precisely
as planned.  Once we’re around the bend in the
river, we’ll raise the sails to full mast and head down river with all
haste.”
         Nylene and Elvmere sighed. “Very good
work, my friend,” Nylene hugged him and smiled. “Thank you.”
         “Aye, thank you,” Elvmere repeated.
         “I must see to the ship.  I hope to dine
with you both later this evening.  Then we can
talk of the future.” Elsevier smiled to them
both, and then closed the door behind him.
         Elvmere went back to his knees, and
looked over the prayer book.  Nylene knelt next
to him and took the prayer book from his paws.
“Here, I will show you how to use this.  But
first, a prayer for safe voyage.  Wvelkim will
help, as will Dvalin.”  And quietly, she added a
prayer for Thelina, that one day she would understand.

----------

         Kaspel eyed his fellow Magyars warily as
they scraped the last of the stew from the
cookpot.  Ever since returning from Cheskych,
Nemgas had become withdrawn, speaking little
while they ate their evening meal, and even less
during the day.  Kaspel had watched him
carefully, noting that the sword Caur-Merripen
was no longer buckled at his side.  But the
jewelled Sathmoran blade was, and that he watched.
         He pulled his knees to his chest as the
cool breeze swept over the Steppe.  He sat atop
the wagon as always, his bow at his side.  The
others clustered around the cookfire, eager and
ready to sleep once the sun had set.  They would
leave him alone to watch the night and keep them
safe from any who would come.  He had taken the
duty to provide him some solitude where he might
ease the wound in his heart.  Now, he yearned for
what had come to fill it to return.
         His fingers searched along his neck,
probing the skin to find the marks Berkon had
left him.  A sudden throb of pain made him gasp
softly.  There they were.  He stroked them with
his finger tips, feeling the scabs that had
grown.  His fingers were insistent, and the scab
came free.  Blood began to trickle.  He licked
his fingers clean, and felt a shiver of excitement race through his
body.
         “Art thee well?” Amile asked.

>>>NO! He isn't well at all!

         Kaspel blinked and looked down at the
young woman.  She frowned as she stared up at
him.  He smiled and lowered his hand. “Aye.  ‘Twas a cramp in my neck.”
         “If thou art weary of thy duty, one of
us wilt gladly take it from thee.”
         He shook his head, and pulled his collar
tight against his neck. “Thank thee, but nay, I
wilt continue to watch this night.”
         Amile smiled and nodded, slipping inside
the wagon to catch her rest.  Nemgas and Chamag
cleaned out the cooking pot then carried it back
inside.  Pelgan, Gamran, and Gelel all finished
clearing the area around the fire, tossing the
last of the grasses into the flames.  They
sizzled from where they’d been covered in ice,
but they burned.  They waved to Kaspel and he
waved back.  They would greet him again in the morning.
         A moment more and all was quiet but for
the fire burning out.  In an hour it would be
nothing more than a few hot coals.  Kaspel stared
at it, even as the sky around him darkened into
night.  The sun had set, and the first of the
stars were appearing.  The Vysehrad in the east
stood as an impenetrable wall of darkness,
brooding and haunting like a cat ready to pounce on a mouse outside its
home.
         His ears strained to hear Berkon’s
song.  Ever since that night when he’d seen his
friend again, he’d thought of nothing else but
that moment when Berkon’s fangs had pierced his
flesh.  His mind replayed the scene over and over
again, and he couldn’t understand what had filled him with such fear.
         The cold of the night air welcomed him
like a lost child.  He stretched, his skin
trembling, almost ecstatic at its touch.  He
wished he could love the cold, the emptiness that
was the Steppe in the way that what followed them
did.  He wished he could sing the same song that
had come from Berkon’s lips.  That song haunted
his mind, ever there, ever assuring him, and ever beckoning him.
         For a long time he sat there listening
to that song, letting it grow in his mind.  He
savoured it like a final draught of water.  And
so the night had grown old before he realized
that the song wasn’t just in his mind.  His ears
twitched and he turned towards the rolling hills between them and
Vysehrad.
         The fire had long gone dead when he
climbed down the wagon and stumbled through the
starlit darkness to find the one whose song
compelled him.  He scrambled over loose stones,
cutting himself in his haste.  He collapsed on
the other side of the hill, yearning and
whispering his need, “Please... hath me... I be thine.”
         In the pale glow of the starlight, the
Berkon-thing slid closer, continuing to sing but
softly.  Cold hands stroked over Kaspel’s face,
wiping a bit of dirt from his cheek.  The
monstrous leg slid in close, between Kaspel’s
legs, and he felt the nick of a claw remnant
against his ankle.  With one hand Kaspel stroked
the fur, finding it dry and almost brittle.  A
soft laugh filled Berkon’s throat.
         “Show me the sign of thy slavery,”
Berkon said, his voice a hiss.  Kaspel fumbled at
his collar, pulling it down to expose the two
circular scars.  Berkon’s lips spread back,
revealing his long fangs. “Good.  Dost thee wish to renew thy bond to
me?”
         Kaspel nodded, too dumb to speak.  His
heart pounded in his chest, but he couldn’t feel
the reason why.  Everything else seemed irrelevant.
         Berkon licked his neck, scrapping the
second scab free.  Blood trickled, and that too
this thing licked.  But instead of biting again,
his lips rose to Berkon’s ear. “Swear me one
thing, Magyar.  Swear that thou wilt bring me the sword of the ash
mountain.”
         “I swear it!  I shalt bring it to thee.”
He didn’t even know what he was saying, but he
would do it if it made this thing happy.  He
turned his head to expose his neck.
         Berkon laughed, a sound so cold that it
made him shiver. “Now give thyself to me.” He
kissed him again, and then Kaspel felt anew that
sweet pain as his life drained into his
friend.  He gasped in paralytic ecstacy.

>>>Wow! Creepy scene there!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/28/2008 12:14 PM