[Mkguild] Mystic Journeys 2 of 3

coal train coal_train_tsa at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 23:23:43 EDT 2008

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

                                                    Chapter Three

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    We woke to rainbows. There were tens of thousands of them. Reflected from the frost upon the spring buds in the trees. It is a truly enchanting sight. The birch's, oak, and maples make a magical scene of light and color. They are just beginning to wake from their winter slumber. In mere weeks this area would be bursting with life, leaves and flowers. That morning though, winter still clung to its stranglehold on the region. And created scenes of beauty in its last grasps of cold death.

    Together we stretched and groaned and greeted the morning with yawns. Quickpaw stretched her wings full out spanning an area easily fifteen paces, talons and claws scraping gouges into the soft earth.

    -"Good morning Kiska"- she said to me as her tail swished to and fro in her happiness. -"It is such a beautiful morning, I wish we could stay here forever"- early morning activity was just starting in the town of Metamor below. Smoke rising from many of the chimneys indicating meals being shared among family and friends in the houses and taverns. The very faint smell of wood smoke reaching us in the higher elevations above the keep.

    The scene exuded peace and tranquility. The only evidence of a war footing was the change of the guard underway even as we watched through the sparse cover of the trees. "Yes, I agree, but even here in the highest peaks, we would inevitably be discovered eventually."

    -"Yes, I suppose so, we should enjoy it while we can then."- She handed me my pack with a tarsus.

    "Let's enjoy it over breakfast then. Shall we?" I opened the pack to remove the last of the venison for Quickpaw. Then I built a very small fire to cook my meal on. Once the water began to boil I extinguished the fire. Then I added the oats and wheat meal. Then I threw in some of my few remaining dried berries. The mixture quickly becomes an aromatic and flavorful mush.

    Together we ate in peace as the birds flutter to and fro in the trees. I noticed a sparrow that seems to have taken an interest in my breakfast. I spread some of the grain about nearby and watch as the birds fluttered in to eat. "It is truly a peaceful morning." I muse. "I feel good about visiting Metamor today, rumor has it there is a wolf man their named Wanderer that is a playwright of some repute. I would love to be able to compare stories before we have to leave."

    I didn't notice the sparrow still watching from above in the trees. She looks at me listening. Then she looks at Quickpaw for a while. Then she quietly takes wing and flew in the general direction of the Keep.

                                              +++++++++++

    "As you can see, everything has been pretty quiet for some weeks now. The Lutins seem to be keeping their distance." The rabbit was leaning against his desk sweeping several maps and documents with eyes and paws, the horse king next to him studying as well. "While a welcome reprieve from hostilities, I can only think this may be a silence before a storm."

    "Yes, I see the concern, but none of your spies have given us any reason for alarm, have they?" The duke replied. Ears twitching in mild annoyance.

    "No, and that's what worries me most." Phil replies. "There has been word of nothing from Nasoj's forces; they seem to be just resting."

    Both morphs started at the sound of pecking at the window, the pattern of the pecks familiar to both. It was not uncommon for their morning security meeting to be interrupted in this way. Duke Thomas went to the window and opened it. There on the sill is a familiar sparrow who swiftly enters and shifts to her most human form.

                                              +++++++++++

    Jayems fluttered from tree to tree as he observed the strange human walking below. A living Gryfin was news to be excited about, but from the one sided conversation it was clear that the Gryfin wasn't going anywhere, and his orders are to watch the human. Not that there was much else to do right now. The Lutins had been unusually quiet lately.

    Just then though, he caught a sight of something. That glimpse sent shivers of alarm through his body. What he saw looked a lot like it might have been a Lutin. With a screech he bolted off ahead on the trail. It was about two hundred paces before the Chickadee could see the foul green creatures. There were about two score of them and one of them was obviously a mage. That would explain how they got this close to the Keep undetected.

    There was nothing for it. He forgot about the human behind him. Jayems's first duty is to report this sizable force to the garrison immediately. This he did with all speed possible.

                                              +++++++++++

    The road was well tended and smooth. The traveling going well. It had been some hours since leaving Quickpaw behind in the grove. And that time had been utterly uneventful.

    The birds were doing their thing in the trees. A red squirrel scampered across the road,  scurrying up a tree when it saw me. The fresh morning air was refreshing in my lungs.

    Presently a loud chirp got my attention from above. The staff leapt into a defensive posture as a small bird swoops down under the canopy of semi-bare branches. Then goes straight down the road. -"Its nothing"- I think to myself and to Quickpaw. -"Just a bird fleeing from some predator."- I always keep in mind the link between us. Every alarm for one of us is felt by the other as well. -"It's odd though, the staff almost never gives false warnings like that."-

    The apparently false alarm having past, I continued my travels while humming a tune.

    The tune was cut short about two clicks down the road when suddenly I detect the muted odor of Lutins. -"Shite."-

    -"What's wrong?"- Is Quickpaw's response.

    -"It wasn't a false alarm,"- I mentally  chastise myself for being so foolish -"Lutins, very near, the odor was somehow covered until now."-

    -"I am on the way, don't get into trouble"- but it was already too late, with an inhuman scream one of the little brutes leapt from a tree behind me, and charged with his rusty sword drawn.

    I made quick work of the first few of them with my staff. Parrying swords and delivering crushing blows to the heads and legs and arms. Breaking bones and bodies with each blow. But there seemed to be hundreds of them. So many that I was forced to try to flee. But the Lutins appeared to be everywhere.

    So concerned was I with the Lutins that I did not see the root jutting from the road until it was too late. I fell backwards and saw stars as I land and hit my head on a stone.

    -"Kiska!!!"- Suddenly with a scream and the tearing of limbs from the trees there is Quickpaw,  cleanly snapping the head off of the Lutin who was standing over me about to strike a fatal blow with his axe.

    "A Gryfin!" Horst, the captain of the Lutin unit and their mage was momentarily stunned to see the extinct beast of legend suddenly killing his men. But only momentarily. "Capture that thing!" He screamed to his men. "Nasoj would pay dearly for it."

    As my hearing and vision began to fade, I saw Quickpaw standing over me, wings spread wide. And directly over my prone form, an orb appeared. I see no more though as blackness took me.

                                              +++++++++++

    "All right lads and lasses, are we ready for field combat training?" Hogan the tiger-man surveyed his unit. Ten of his best soldiers were with him that day. The response is a resounding "yes sir!". There were a few of his fellow cats, a lion, a cheetah, and also a snow leopard. In addition there was a Grizzly bear, a ferret, two badgers, and three humans. Fierce and battle hardened fighters all. It had been decided that some field training would be welcome, as there had been very little activity from the Lutins lately.  The troops had been getting restless.

    Just as the guards began to open the gates, a twitter from above caught the captains attention. "Jayems, what's wrong?" The tiger asks. The small bird was moving as though Nasoj himself was at his tail feathers.

    The bird completely shifted form before he even hit the ground, "Lutins" he screeches. "About two score, only four clicks along the south road. You must make haste, the human I was trailing may already be in their midst.

    "Report this immediately to Copernicus. Tell him that I am taking my elite unit to intercept them and to send backup as quickly as possible." Jayems immediately leapt into the air while shifting and fluttered off to the Castle. With that the troopers of Hogan's unit depart at a dead run to the south road. It appears that training is cancelled today in favor of the real thing.

                                              +++++++++++

    It would normally have taken an hour to make the four clicks to the reported location of the Lutins. But there is little that could outpace a motivated Keeper. As it was, it only took about twenty minutes at a dead run before they come to the scene of the battle. They weren't prepared however for what they saw. As they rounded the curve in the road by a rocky outcropping, they saw something truly spectacular.

    There in the middle of the road between them and a group of Lutins is, of all things, a Gryfin. All the troopers are stunned motionless, as they witnessed the thing snap the head off of one of the little beasts.  The Lutin axe fell harmlessly to the ground before the body fell on top of it still pumping blood.

    Then its wings spread wide, and a strange glow formed in front of it. An odd wind started to form. Then a small vortex was created around the Gryfin and its companion on the ground.  Then with a sudden piercing predatory cry, it thrusts its wings forward and a massive ball of blue light flashed out. It went directly to the Lutin who was obviously the leader of the band.

    The mage attempted to erect a shield, but the hasty defense is destroyed utterly as the ball impacts the Lutin. Instantly in a flash of brilliant light the Lutin and everything for about twenty paces around him including about twenty of his company was frozen solid. The cold of the ice, could be felt by the keepers some twenty-five paces away from its edge.

    Finally Hogan snapped out of the impromptu trance. "Spread out, and take the remaining Lutins one-on-one. Do not disturb the Gryfin." The troopers do so quickly, but cautiously. There were only about a half dozen of them left.

    Between the Gryfin and the Keepers, the few remaining Lutins are quickly wiped out. No one however was willing to approach the obviously angry Gryfin who was guarding the body of the strange human. Finally though, one of the humans, Sam, a transgender, cautiously approaches. "We mean neither of you any harm." She said in as soothing a voice as she can muster. "Let me check him, we can help."

    The Gryfin looks into her eyes for a moment and gently nods. A quick examination reveals no apparent physical injuries. But there is a massive bump on his head, and slight fever. Though a potentially fatal injury, Apparently all that is wrong is a severe concussion.

    "He needs help we cannot give him here." She Says. "He has to be carefully brought to the Keep. Injuries of the head can be fatal even well after the fact."

    The Gryfin looked at those seated in a semi-circle about her. Then lay down next to the prone form, the left wing nearest him slightly lowered. She then pointed with her beak to the body, and then her back.

    "You want to carry him?" Sam asked. The Gryfin nods. "If he is shaken too badly it may harm him more." The Gryfin nods again. "We could easily carry him in a litter." At this the Gryfin gave a slightly menacing hiss. Clearly she knew what she was doing and the risks involved. Carefully the three humans lifted him from the ground while carefully cradling his head and gently placed him on the massive back of the Gryfin. His head cradled between her shoulder blades. The wing rose to carefully cradle the body between powerful aft-shoulders. She then rose to her feet and slowly walked in the direction of Metamor.

    Sam picked up the strangers pack and staff and followed along with Hogan who quickly called the group to begin a slow march back to the Keep.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

                                                     Chapter Four

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    The Gryfin set a slow, but steady pace while carrying her delicate cargo. Thereby allowing the keepers to join her and surround them as a type of impromptu guard. Shortly after departing, the sound of soldiers could be heard coming up the road from the Keep.

    "Ho, Misha!" Hogan called. "The threat is no  more."

    A dark furred fox stopped short when he witnessed what his soldiers were escorting to the gates of Metamor. This surprised the soldiers behind him. "By the gods, it is a Gryfin." He gasps, but being the seasoned soldier he is, he quickly regained his composure.

     "Is the uh, stranger with you?"

    "Yes sir. But he has been badly injured in a fall. He will need a healer quickly." Hogan replied.

    "The Dukes orders are to keep him safe at all cost, I was not told why, but I now have my suspicions." He said as he glanced at the Gryfin, he then turned to the rabbit morph next to him.

    "Cathal, return as swiftly as you can and see that the eastern gate is cleared of anyone not absolutely necessary. Then inform the Duke that our Guests will be arriving shortly and will need medical attention."

    "Yes sir." The rabbit warrior replied as he bolted off with the speed his jackrabbit kin are renowned for.

    The company was greeted at the gate by a few guards who unabashedly stared wide-eyed at the spectacle before them. Without a word though they opened the gate and make way for the company. Once comfortably inside, they were greeted by a rabbit by the name of Phil, A rat named Matthias who happened to be an associate of Wanderer, and Duke Thomas, the horse king himself. Cathal was busy  searching out a healer.

    "Good day milord," Misha called, "I suspect, given the nature of our guests, there is a need for some secrecy."

    "Yes, of course, you have done well Misha. How is the human?" The Duke asked, staring in disbelieving awe.

    "He has an injury to the head of some concern. From my understanding, the Gryfin refused to let anyone else carry him. But it has been exceptionally gentle. What do you want me to do with them?" With that statement the Gryfin glares at the fox. It is clear she doesn't like to be ordered about. But for Kiska, she will begrudgingly follow. She dare not leave him alone with these strangers.

    "Place them in one of the larger guest barracks, I trust you will personally handle security. For their own protection I want them guarded at all times." The horseman said with an heir of authority in his voice. Then he mumbled under his breath. "To be host to a Gryfin, we are truly blessed."

    The companions were then escorted into the castle. They went past the library, through halls past the holy houses of the various gods. The sound of footsteps echoed through the nearly deserted halls.  Finally they come to the guest quarters. Here they are taken to a simply furnished, but adequately large room. Several bunks were placed about the walls. Quarters perhaps for the entourage of a visiting dignitary or noble. Though it looked long unused, there was no odor of neglect, mold, or dust.

    The Gryfin chose apparently at random a bunk on the far wall and lowered herself so that the humans may carefully place Kiska on the hard bed. Presently, a wolf-morph female enters the room, the dark cloak she wore flowing about her. the rabbit warrior was with her. She has the heir of weary confidence that only someone with great responsibility can have.

    "Raven," Phil, the rabbit said, "you didn't have to come yourself, it's just a simple knock on the head."

    "I know, but I had a feeling I might be needed and right now I have no pressing matters." Hardly sparing the Gryfin a glance she walked to the bed and began to examine the man.

    "My apologies  master Phil. I could not find master Coe, and Mistress raven just seemed to appear before me." The warrior says.

    "Tis quite alright Cathal, you've done well. Thank you. I wish to speak with you later if you have the time." Phil replies.

    "Yes, of course, I shall meet with you in a few hours if you wish." The warrior is then dismissed and leaves to turn his borrowed gear in.

    The blood had long since stopped flowing and the back of his head was a dried and matted mess. His angular face, somewhat smooth, and apparently tanned in color, was framed by long hair, almost the color of the night sky, which was haphazardly strewn about the bed beneath him.

    He was wearing a tattered gray cloak, leather fur lined boots of a type unfamiliar to her, loose fitting leather breeches again unfamiliar, and a thick woven shirt in the southern style, all made and worn in a fashion that spoke of a well traveled man. All of this was noted and filed away in her memory as she began to examine the wound.

    "This is no simple knock on the head Phil, by all rights he should be dead." She finally said after several minutes "his skull is cracked, and I can see with my healing vision that there is swelling of the brain. I can heal the physical injuries with some time, but he may never come out of the coma." At this, Quickpaw's neck and head feathers ruffle in agitation.

    "Please do what you can," the Duke asks. "For obvious reasons we have many questions that we would like answers to."

    "Yes, I can understand that, leave us for now. I will do what I can for him; I will need cool water and clean cloths. Also have Pascal make some of her healing salve for me."

    "I believe I can handle that." The rat says as he departs to get the needed  materials.

    He returned a surprisingly short time later with a large pot of water from the spring, and a stack of fresh cloths neatly arranged on a small cart along with a bowl of some rather unsavory smelling concoction. Raven thanked him absently and proceeded to wash the wound and cool the man's feverish head. "I'll be right outside if you should need anything else." He then left the room to sit upon a chair in the hall. Here he made small talk with the guard.

    Raven worked silently for a few moments, occasionally glancing at Quickpaw. Then she spared a few minutes for quiet conversation. -"Good morning Gryfin, it is a pleasure to meet one of your kind. If you choose not to talk, I will understand, but I would ask your names if I could, I am called Raven."-

    Quickpaw thought this over for a bit. Not many humans (or morphs for that matter) know how to project thoughts correctly, but what could it hurt. -"I am called Quickpaw, and he is my bond-mate Kiska"- this took raven by surprise.

    "Bond-mate?" She says aloud, then quickly glances to the door, realizing her outburst. Then she continued mentally. -"Uh-huh, I didn't think it was possible between a Gryfin and a human."-

    -"By the histories of my people there has been but one comparison. But that was with an elf. It is something done only in dire need."-

    -"If I may ask your ages?"-

    -"I have forty-three summers, and he has seventy-five now. We have been bonded companions since I had but two."-

    -"Then you are not mated!"- Usually a Gryfin isn't mated until it is about fifty or perhaps as late as sixty.

    -"No. My bond with him is that of a child to a parent,"- Quickpaw reflected on recent events.  With a sigh she continues. -"But this must change soon if a proper mate cannot be found."-

    -"I see."- With this the conversation ended for a time while Raven finished her ministrations.  "Now it is a battle of time." She said aloud. -"If anything should happen you can call to me anytime."- Raven then gets up to leave, -"oh, I almost forgot to ask, how long have you been in the area?"-

    -"We have been within the influence of the curse now for two days and a night. And I thank you for your offer, but unless I can see you, I am unable to touch your mind. Without a bond, our telepathic abilities are limited to line-of-sight."-

    -"I pray that he will be up and mobile in time then, the curse may not take him until the seventh night, or perhaps longer, but not more than two weeks. I will be in from time to time to visit in case you need anything."-

    -"Yes, that would be welcome, thank you."- With this the wolf morph left the two companions in peace. She had much to think about. Quickpaw looked to her bond-mate, -"oh Kiska, please wake soon. I don't want to loose you."-  Then she drifted off too a slow and restless sleep.