[Mkguild] Introductions cycle 2.17 - Getting away from the Party

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Mon Mar 31 16:09:29 EDT 2008

>Getting away from the Party

A perfectly appropriate thing for Murikeer to do. ;-)

>            As far as journeys go, the trip to Glen Avery was a
> rather uneventful one.  Not that he had been forced to walk the
> entire distance, though.  A wagon loaded down with ale casks, sacks
> of flour, corn meal, and potatoes caught up with him only an hour
> north of the Keep.  Hauled by a team of six horse-morphed keepers
> in their wholly animal forms, it made good time without anyone at
> the reins, leaving the buckboard empty for passengers.
>            Sharing the buckboard with an effusive young antelope
> named Yrigoll, Muri spent the entertaining passage trading stories
> with the six horses and Yuri, as he called himself.  Each tale
> seemed more fantastic and unbelievable than the one before, and by
> the time they reached the outskirts of the glen they were all
> barely able to breathe for laughing so hard.  The horse team blamed
> their passengers for the fact that they were nearly two full hours
> late, but all with good humor.  Doffing their harnesses, five of
> them resumed their bipedal half-animal forms to unload the
> wagon.  The last explained that she had been stuck in her full
> animal form since the day of the curse, but had learned to accept her lot.

I rather like the team of horses, although I wouldn't say that the
last one was stuck in her full animal form.  Rather that what morph
form she could attain was limited and not very useful (perhaps she
couldn't make hands for herself, or her stance wasn't close to
bipedal).  This way, she has no real reason to be in anything but her
horse form.

Also, how are they talking if they are in full horse form?

>            The Mountain Hearth was a somewhat grand building from
> the front, in keeping with the local theme.  A broad porch bounded
> the front and sides of the three-floor edifice.  Various crafts and
> curios hung from the beams and were worked into the architecture;
> baskets and broken wheels, discarded antlers and old wood
> saws.  The proliferation of odds and ends gave it a more mercantile
> flair than a place to spend the night, but it also lent it an air
> of comfortability and relaxed air.  For all the oddments the porch
> was scrupulously swept clean, the hanging chimes clattering away
> quietly in the autumn breeze.

Hmmm, now the Inn at Glen Avery has a name!  Thank you, Ryx!  I'll
have to write this down somewhere. :-)

>            "Master Murikeer, it is good to make your aquiantance."
> The lynx smiled, white teeth gleaming against the gray fur of his
> muzzle, whiskers twitching pleasantly.  "Master Jurmas has gone to
> Metamor to enjoy the larger festival taking place there, and has
> left the Hearth in the hands of his staff.  I am Tereval, head steward."

And there's another character for the Glen. ;-)

>            "Indeed, sir, indeed." The lynx nodded without missing a
> breath or a step, leading Murikeer along the balcony to the far
> wall directly across from the main door.  Drawing open one leaf of
> a pair of broad, tall, intricately carved doors, the Lynx led on
> into a broad corridor with a polished hardwood floor, rock walls,
> and a ceiling that was a mix of the two materials.  "Master Jurmas
> stated that, should you ever return, that a room be made available
> for your use.  Due to the festival, we only have one." He
> continued, opening another door to more stairs, which he led the
> skunk up.  "I was lucky enough to see you arriving with the
> polygamites, if you were wondering why I reached the door so swiftly."
>             Muri blinked as they ascended the stairs,
> "Palygamites?" he asked, somewhat surprised at the strong word
> coming from the effusive steward's mouth.

You've two different spellings of their name.  Which is right,
'polygamites' or 'palygamites'?

>             "Aye, milord, the horses.  They've quite an extended
> family here, some seventeen of them, all equines of some breed or
> another.  Not that I judge them, mind, being a servant of
> Eli.  Nasoj's nasty little parting gift has forced us all to take
> on some very strange social traditions just to keep ourselves
> sane." He shrugged as they reached the top of the stairs and the
> steward opened the final door, revealing a large room
> beyond.  Light streamed in from two windows set in the far
> wall.  As Muri gawked, the lynx smoothly divested him of his
> satchel and pack, setting them on the large trunk at the foot of
> the very large canopy bed in the center of the room.  "They're very
> good people, always were, even before Nasoj.  They just have a
> pretty strange family." He said with a gentle laugh.  "I'll leave
> you here to situate yourself and relax.  If you have need of
> anything, just step out on the balcony and ask, or pull the tassel
> cord there by the door."

Not too many Followers in Glen Avery, but there are some.  Tereval
will be added to the rolls. :-)

How is it that the entire family have become equines?  Do they have
any children too young to be cursed?

As always, you create with such ease and deftness that I am left
trying to catch up with you. :-)

Also, your prose is a welcome sight, for it flows with such poetic
grace I am swept away into the wonderful land of Metamor as I have
always imagined it to be!

It's great to have you back, Ryx!