[Mkguild] Coping with Variable Geometry

Absolute Zero supernova.wizard at gmail.com
Tue May 20 05:21:40 EDT 2008

Okay, so I know that it has been forever since I posted my first
story, and I also know that this is really short for how long it has
taken me to finally put it up on the Mailing List. But what can I say?
Its just the way I am. Also, I have been working on a few other
things, like what stories are coming up next. And I hope to have those
finished and posted before too long, but I'm not going to make any
promises. And I know that I'm way, way, way behind on my reading. Alls
I can say is that I'll be trying to catch up with all of the new stuff
thats been posted in the last couple of months. (yeah, that's how far
behind I am...) Please, send me a comment on 'Coping', even if its
just to say "I liked it" or "I thought it was dumb" and thats it. I'd
appreciate it.

Oh, and this story takes place on the morning after Forced Beginnings.

Coping with Variable Geometry

By Absolute Zero

April 12th, 707 CR

With a startled jerk and a quiet gasp, Zak sat bolt upright in a cold
sweat, his heart beating wildly because of an already quickly fading
nightmare. He looked around and, at first, didn't recognize where he
was. He was sitting in a bed with a freshly stuffed straw mattress,
and there was a nice, but simple rug, which was useful in protecting
his feet from the cold of the stones. There was a writing desk in the
other corner, which Zak did not think he would ever need to use, and
there was even a small painting of a landscape on one wall.

As he took in all of these things, he remembered. He had returned with
Anthony and his wife to their home last night and had found an oak
door where nothing had been before. On the other side of the door,
they had found a guest room, in which Zak was now staying. He had his
doubts about staying somewhere that might not be there in the morning,
and Anthony had to reassure him several times before he reluctantly
spent the night in the newly added room.

Having banished the momentary fear that comes with waking in a strange
place, he was struck with the thought that his room might not be
connected to Anthony's home anymore. What if his room wasn't connected
to any other room? He would be trapped, maybe forever!

Shoving the heavy blanket that covered him off to one side, he rushed
to the door, stopping with his hand an inch away from the handle. He
slowly brought it away from the door. A thought had interrupted his
mad dash for freedom. What happens if nothing is on the other side?
Would he even be *able* to open the door? But one thing is for sure,
he wasn't going to be able to find out by sitting in here. Taking a
deep breath, Zak gently pushed on the door to find that it opened
easily, he wasn't sucked out into oblivion, and the guest room was
still connected to Anthony's home.

Zak sighed with relief, but was now faced with a dilemma. He wasn't
dressed, and he didn't want to turn his back on the doorway in case it
decided to change to another part of the keep... or to nothingness.
Coming up with an idea, Zak pushed the door open all the way and then
slowly backed away, toward his clothes. He dressed hurriedly, but kept
an eye on the doorway at all times. Finally dressed he rushed forward
and leaped through the doorway to land safely, and loudly, on the
other side. Having safely escaped the guest room, he turned back to
see it sitting, ever so innocently, on the other side of the wide open
doorway.

"Hey."

Zak jumped and whipped around to find a large, and rather amused
wolverine morph. "Don't do that!" He admonished his friend, with a
hand over his wildly beating heart.

Anthony chuckled, "Do what? Say hello?"

"No, just… don't sneak up on me like that. You scared me half to
death." Zak said with a half smile.

"So I noticed. What has got you so on edge anyways?" Anthony asked as
he yawned and stretched, while waiting for a reply he also began
cracking his knuckles, a habit he picked up from the other guards.

Zak glanced back at the quest room before answering, "Nothing..."

Anthony followed the direction of his glance, "... Still not
comfortable here, huh?"

Zak sighed, and scratched the back of his head in embarrassment as his
gaze dropped to the floor; he was never good at hiding things,
especially from his friend. "No. I mean, well… it's just that, this,
all of this," he said waving his hand around at the room and at
Anthony, "It's unnatural. Stone isn't supposed move about when it
wants to and men aren't supposed to… to look like wild animals or
little children. It's not right."

The wolverine morph eyed his friend for a second, and nodded at his
explanation. It wasn't the first time he had heard thoughts like that.
In fact they were quite common. For a long moment neither spoke, then
Anthony got an idea. "Come on then." He said, heading for the door.

"What?" Zak asked before quickly following his friend out the door.
"Where are we going?"

"Well, I forgot to tell you this last night, but I've got to go out on
patrol soon. So, I'm going to introduce you to Cope, he's famous
'round here for his tours." Anthony explained as they strode down a
corridor.

"Tours?" Zak asked, unfamiliar with the word.

"He'll show you around the keep, and knowing Cope, it will probably
take a few hours. During which, you'll get a chance to adjust to
traveling in the keep. Well, a little bit, at least."

Zak wasn't sure if he liked this idea, but with Anthony going out on
patrol soon, Zak didn't have anything better to do. And so, followed
after his friend without complaint.

END