[Mkguild] Of Fire And Water & Flying Lessons

coal train coal_train_tsa at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 22:09:46 EDT 2008

hmmm, perhaps something along the lines of astral projection? though that may not be the right term for this particular skill.

as for the "hydrogen bomb" in principal i agree, Nagasaki lever events are WELL beyond the capabilities of even the oldest Gryfin. but you would be surprised at the punch that can be packed in a ball of hydro no bigger than ones fist.. (esp . if the creator can compress it into a nearly solid state.)

in this case tough Kiskas ability to channel heat must be used in reverse..

hmmm i will have to think about this. you may have given me some focus on future stories in the Memoirs of Kiska..

Ryx <sundansyr at yahoo.com> wrote: >as for the use of Runes to channel magic, it would help to have hands to >do so.

Not precisely, as runes are not 'letters' per se but focusing constructs used to manipulate, bind, or direct the magic flowing into and through them.  There are many sets of basic rune structures, depending on the culture and magical style putting them to use, but all follow the basic flow patterns of the underlying energy that makes up 'magic' (generally cellular or fractal sub-patters that can be expanded or contracted to take on or be incorporated into other rune constructs, the function of a rune does not change with size, the size only determines the balance of the magic of the rune in the overall construct).

Thus, a mage without 'hands' can still manipulate magic through the use of runes.  Look at them very much like the old Japanese high letters, more an art form than a linguistic structure.  The gryfon's talons can make use of runes.

After all, look at Jessica, all she has is wing-fingers that are probably nearly as limiting as the Gryph's only having the talons of their forefeet.

And a good mage working with a foot-stylus or just their unshod toe can use their feet during spellworking to craft basic or even incredibly complicated rune structures.

> but being locked in a full Gryfin body has a few disadvantages. with >time and practice, there powers will become truly awesom, and some >iteresting ways to have fire and water (generally considered opposites, >and not compatible) to work together will be found (can anyone say >hydrogen bomb)..

The two elements may be intrinsic opposites, but just as with good/evil, light/dark, they cannot exist without some form of the other.  When used in conjunction they can perform, as you stated, tasks far greater than the individuals.
BUT... there /is/ a ceiling to the sheer potential that can be harnessed, so nothing in the venue of a hydrogen bomb could even be considered.  Even a blast force strong enough to level a large stone building or mountain would be considerable.
The more power put into a spell, no matter how that spell is cast, the more difficult it is to increase the potency of the magic.  I guess you might say the potential strength is inversely proportional to the energy being shoved into it... there is a point where energy and output reach a peak parity, above which you can rise for greater effect but at considerably more cost, whereas lesser expressions take manifestly less raw energy.

Just some thoughts.
Ryx.