[Mkguild] Coping with Variable Geometry

Hallan Mirayas hallanmirayas at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 18:26:43 EDT 2008

When I first wrote "Drifting", the opening scene where Drift is fighting wi=
th the log was going to be the entire story.  Thankfully, Misha talked me i=
nto continuing on, and it became the introduction to a much longer story.  =
That's what "Coping" feels like to me:  an intro scene.  What conflict has =
been resolved here?  That he opened his door and walked out without winding=
 up in Limbo?  If so, mission accomplished.  But if the conflict is suppose=
d to be his fear of the variable geometry in general, or something else ent=
irely, then you've got a lot more you can do.

Hallan

> Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 02:21:40 -0700
> From: supernova.wizard at gmail.com
> To: mkguild at lists.integral.org
> Subject: [Mkguild] Coping with Variable Geometry
> =

> Okay, so I know that it has been forever since I posted my first
> story, and I also know that this is really short for how long it has
> taken me to finally put it up on the Mailing List. But what can I say?
> Its just the way I am. Also, I have been working on a few other
> things, like what stories are coming up next. And I hope to have those
> finished and posted before too long, but I'm not going to make any
> promises. And I know that I'm way, way, way behind on my reading. Alls
> I can say is that I'll be trying to catch up with all of the new stuff
> thats been posted in the last couple of months. (yeah, that's how far
> behind I am...) Please, send me a comment on 'Coping', even if its
> just to say "I liked it" or "I thought it was dumb" and thats it. I'd
> appreciate it.
> =

> Oh, and this story takes place on the morning after Forced Beginnings.
> =

> =

> =

> Coping with Variable Geometry
> =

> By Absolute Zero
> =

> April 12th, 707 CR
> =

> =

> With a startled jerk and a quiet gasp, Zak sat bolt upright in a cold
> sweat, his heart beating wildly because of an already quickly fading
> nightmare. He looked around and, at first, didn't recognize where he
> was. He was sitting in a bed with a freshly stuffed straw mattress,
> and there was a nice, but simple rug, which was useful in protecting
> his feet from the cold of the stones. There was a writing desk in the
> other corner, which Zak did not think he would ever need to use, and
> there was even a small painting of a landscape on one wall.
> =

> As he took in all of these things, he remembered. He had returned with
> Anthony and his wife to their home last night and had found an oak
> door where nothing had been before. On the other side of the door,
> they had found a guest room, in which Zak was now staying. He had his
> doubts about staying somewhere that might not be there in the morning,
> and Anthony had to reassure him several times before he reluctantly
> spent the night in the newly added room.
> =

> Having banished the momentary fear that comes with waking in a strange
> place, he was struck with the thought that his room might not be
> connected to Anthony's home anymore. What if his room wasn't connected
> to any other room? He would be trapped, maybe forever!
> =

> Shoving the heavy blanket that covered him off to one side, he rushed
> [...]

E-mail for the greater good. Join the i=92m Initiative from Microsoft.
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=3DEML_WL_ GreaterG=
ood