[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXIII

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Nov 8 15:10:26 EST 2008

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LXIII

Rush to the Beginning

         A week after Berkon’s death they saw it to the north.
         Night began to fall, ever so early so
near now they were to the Winter’s Solstice, but
in the moment before the sun let its grip upon
the sky fail, a blue star pierced the twilight in
the north.  The Magyars watched it and all but
one of them trembled in fear as that blue light
regarded them for a full minute before fading
like a dying ember into the night sky.
         Only Nemgas had no fear of it.  It had
been the source of his very life, that which
freed him from the prison of the Yeshuel Kashin
and gave him flesh to breath and bleed.  And now
it was the only thing he could think that had the
power to save his friend Chamag.
         “How dost he fare?” With the light of
Cenziga gone, the others found themselves able to
move again.  Nemgas looked at Amile who stood at
the wagon door, her hands tightly wrapped across
the back of the coachman’s bench. “Amile?”
         She blinked and turned to Nemgas.  Her
face was sallow after so many weeks tending their
now dead friends.  First Berkon, then Kaspel, and
now Chamag.  Berkon and Kaspel had succumbed to
the dark poison, but Chamag had only been touched
a week ago.  For him they still had hope.
         Amile sighed and shook her head. “I hath
drained his wound again a few moments gone.  The
poison wilt not leave him.  More comes each time, not less.”
         Nemgas frowned and ran his fingers
through his beard stubble.  Gamran, Pelgan and
Gelel busied themselves with clearing out a small
space in the snow to build a fire and did their
best to pretend not to listen. “What of his
teeth?  Dost they grow as did Berkon and Kaspel’s?”
         Amile shook her head, this time with
more vigour. “Nay, they hath not grown.  The
poison hast not yet made a monster of him.  He
dost complain that thou dost not let him help.”
         “He wilt remain abed until we reach the
mountain,” Nemgas replied. “Ja.  Help Pelgan and
the others.  I wilt see Chamag.”
         Amile climbed down the carriage steps
and passed Nemgas so close their chests nearly
touched.  Nemgas sighed, his breath steaming in
the cold air.  With a hop he pulled himself onto
the carriage and climbed inside.
         As always, the inside was warm and
welcoming.  The scent of decay and death that had
lingered around Kaspel was beginning to return, a
sign that troubled him.  Nemgas shut the door
behind him and Chamag stirred in the bed at the
far end.  The burly Magyar leaned over the side
and grimaced.  A bandage wrapped tight around his
neck and shoulder. “Ah, Nemgas.  Wilt thou let me up this eve?”
         “Nae, Chamag,” Nemgas replied. “After
Kaspel tried to escape and join what hadst become
of Berkon I wilt not let thee up.”
         “I art no monster,” Chamag replied in irritation.
         “But if that poison remains in thee,
thou wilt become one,” Nemgas replied without
much joy. “E’en now it may be poisoning thy mind.”
         “It isn’t!” Chamag growled. “I hath lost
none of my faculties, Nemgas.  I art strong and
ready to fight.  It hath not taken me yet.”
         Nemgas sighed and shook his head.  He
walked back to where Chamag lay half in bed and
leaned against the far wall.  Chamag’s eyes
followed him, and the Magyar had to admit that
they were the same eyes he’d always seen in his
wagon-mate.  The axe-man looked no different
apart from the bandages.  Perhaps because he’d
only been infected the one time it would take
longer?  Or perhaps Chamag’s body was stronger
and more resistant?  Regardless, he couldn’t give in.
         “And I wilt do what I can to make sure
it never takes thee,” Nemgas said in a soft
voice.  His fingers idly rubbed the stump of his
right arm as he spoke. “We didst see the ash
mountain’s star this twilight.  ‘Twill not be long now ere we reach it.”
         “I detest that place,” Chamag said in a
low voice.  He leaned back in the bed, his free
arm fingering the bandage.  It was stained with a
mix of red and black blood in the middle, though
the red was still the dominant colour. “Why dost thou take us there?”
         “Because the sword smote Berkon and the
sword wast touched by Cenziga.”
         Chamag flinched at the name but gave no
other outward sign of discomfort.  He pressed his
lips tightly together and thought for a
moment.  The burly Magyar’s eyes gazed past
Nemgas as if seeing through him and then they
lifted to meet his gaze. “But wilt it not smite
me?  Dost thy cure kill the poison or the person?”
         Nemgas frowned and then shrugged. “I
hath no answer for thee my friend.  ‘Tis the only
hope I know and ‘tis what I wilt seek for
thee.  Know this, I wilt not let the poison make a monster of thee.”
         Lips still drawn together, Chamag
lowered his eyes and muttered softly, “Wouldst it
be so terrible a fate?  More terrible than death?”
         Nemgas stiffened and studied his friend
more closely.  His body seemed slack and
listless, but so too had Kaspel’s the night he’d
attacked.  He glanced at his lips, wondering if
they hid something. “Aye, to hunt thy friends
like rabbits?  ‘Twould be worse than death.  The
gods tend thee in death.  Death rejected what had
taken Berkon, and wouldst hath done the same with Kaspel.”
         Chamag snorted and rubbed his face with
his hands as if working some strain loose.
“Cenziga wilt bring death beyond the gods.”
         “It brought me life,” Nemgas replied,
glancing furtively from side to side.  He was
alone in the carriage with Chamag.  The others
were still out trying to make a fire.  He could
almost hear their voices and the snorting of the
horses.  If he gave a cry they would be here in
seconds.  He took a deep breath and pretended to
turn aside. “Take thy rest, Chamag.  I will check on thee later.”
         Out of the corner of his eye he noticed
Chamag relaxing.  Nemgas took one step towards
the door, and then jumped back onto the man’s
chest.  Chamag gasped and tried to grapple
Nemgas, but Nemgas had them pinned with his
side.  Nemgas pressed his fingers into either
side of the burly Magyar’s cheeks and forced his
mouth open.  Chamag screamed, eyes flashing with
anger and briefly, something more vile.
         Nemgas’s heart beat even faster when he
saw the teeth behind the lips.  The canines were
not like what they’d seen in Kaspel or Berkon,
but they had begun to grow.  They stretched a
pinky’s breadth past the rest of his teeth,
swollen and raw.  Chamag hissed and pushed up to
bite him, but Nemgas pressed his stump into
Chamag’s neck and forced him back down.
         Pelgan and Gamran jumped in opposite
sides of the carriage.  Pelgan came in the back
entrance, and immediately grabbed Chamag by the
sides of his head and held him down.  Gamran
grabbed his legs, couldn’t keep them still, and
then sat on them. Chamag spat, struggled, and
then all of the fight drained out of him.
         “Chamag!” Nemgas said, letting go off
his cheeks and leaning up ever so slightly. “Art thee well?”
         Chamag blinked several times, groaned,
and then looked up at him. “Help me,
Nemgas!  ‘Tis there inside.  Dost not let it make me a monster.”
         “It shalt not take thee,” Nemgas assured
him, though as when he assured the same to Kaspel
and Berkon, he found there was little confidence
in his voice.  He reminded himself of Cenziga’s
star, and tried again. “Thou wilt not be a monster, Chamag.  I promise thee.”
         Tears streamed down his face which
Pelgan wiped up with his sleeve. “Tie me down,”
Chamag said. “It wants me to escape.”
         Nemgas nodded.  Gamran fetched the rope
while the two larger Magyar’s looked into each
other’s eyes.  The one full of fear, the other
full of determined hope.  This friend he would
save, Nemgas swore to himself.  This friend he would save.

----------

         Grastalko spent a day recovering in his
wagon.  The smouldering remains of his left hand
had flared to life at the mention of the Ash
Mountain that the Magyars were now bound for; the
flesh had blackened past his wrist and the
ever-present agony stabbed at him every time even
so much as a leaf should touch his
wound.  Soaking it in cool water helped, and once
out of the wagon he would take every opportunity
to dip his left arm in the stream they followed
through the forest.  For a few moments he could enjoy a world without pain.
         Only a few days later they left the
forest behind.  The plains of the Flatlands came
suddenly.  One moment they trudged through an
endless sea of trees beneath a broad blue sky,
and then the next the Assingh crunched snow
beneath their hooves and the sky became a barren
gray.  Yet even so wintry a landscape could not
still the joy that every Magyar felt at seeing
their homeland once again after so long an
absence.  That night they cleared a great deal of
snow, built a bonfire with what wood they’d
collected prior to entering the Åelfwood,
feasted, danced, sang, and revelled until the
waning moon had passed its zenith.
         Grastalko had participated as much as he
could.  Every time his hand began to cripple him
he ran into the snow banks and buried it.  The
snow sizzled a few seconds before he felt relief
sweep over him.  Thrice he sought surcease that night.
         On the nights that followed he got
little sleep as he needed the relief again and
again, more often each time.  On the third day
through the Steppe, he found a bucket, filled it
with snow and ice, and kept it by him as he rode
the wagons through the white land.  Not even the
chill air was enough to bring him any
comfort.  All he felt was the mind numbing pain
whenever he took his hand from the bucket of
snow, a bucket he needed to refill more and more frequently.
         On the fourth day, Hanaman refused to
let him come eat in his wagon until he had done
the one thing he knew he should do but hadn’t
been able to bring himself to do. “Thou must
speak to Dazheen,” Hanaman declared with the firm
insistence of a father. “Thy hand pains thee too
greatly to e’en aid Kisaiya with the Assingh
now.  I hath seen thee flinch from thy duties,
Grastalko.  Thy hand pains thee.  See Dazheen and
she wilt give thee some balm.”
         He argued to no avail, and he was pretty
sure Hanaman knew the real reason for his
reticence.  If he went to see Dazheen he’d have to face Bryone again.
         But go he did.  Holding his left arm
close to his belly, he climbed the wagon steps
and rapped the back of his knuckles on the
door.  The solemn face of Bryone greeted
him.  Her eyes were soft, brown, and searched
him, quickly noting the way he held his wounded
hand.  Her lips drew back in a frown, dimples
faintly forming in her cheeks.  She gingerly held
out one hand but didn’t touch him. “Does it hurt thee, Grastalko?”
         He gritted his teeth and nodded. “Aye.  I seek Dazheen.”
         “Dost thee need help?”
         “Nay!  I canst do it,” he replied,
trying to bury the anger in his voice behind the pain.
         Bryone lowered her eyes like he’d seen
her do many times for the other Magyars and
stepped back from the door.  Grastalko stepped
through, edging against the door so he wouldn’t
brush her, more for his arm’s sake than his
heart’s.  She held back the curtain for him and
he passed beneath into the warmth of Dazheen’s wagon.
         The seer was seated at her table as he’d
always seen her.  Her white hair was twisted and
frazzled.  Her skin hung in folds on her
face.  These he’d always seen, but what startled
him was to see the bandage removed from her
face.  Her eyes were closed, but the lids
flickered like a dog eager to pounce a
squirrel.  Her hands, gnarled like bird’s feet,
scraped over her cards arrayed before her in a
pile.  All of them were face down.
         Grastalko nervously watched those cards
as he neared.  Her face turned towards him as he
stepped closer and a faint smile drew taut the
many folds in her cheeks. “Good evening to thee,
Grastalko.  It has been many weeks since last thou didst grace my wagon.”
         “Art they safe?”
         “The cards?  Aye.  They art quiet
tonight.  He watches elsewhere now.  I dost not
know where.” She pushed the cards to the side
with one hand; her nails dragged along the table
with a sullen rasp. “Sit.  What hast brought thee to me?”
         Grastalko took a few steps closer but
didn’t sit. “My hand.  It hurts worse each day.”
         “Show me.”
         He took another step closer and lifted
his left hand towards her own.  The blackened
flesh seemed to simmer as she moved her fingers
through the air nearby.  Her smile faded with
each pass.  Strangely, for the first time in
days, the pain seemed to ebb.  No longer did his
arm throb, but it lingered in a quiescent torpor.
         And then Dazheen opened her
eyes.  Grastalko felt his entire arm go icy
cold.  He made a fist with his good hand and
shivered as he stared at the horizontal red slits
amidst the black ruin of her eyes.  They lifted
up and down a moment before she closed them again.  And the iciness passed.
         She lowered her hands to the table and
coughed wearily.  He heard Bryone stir, but the
fit passed as soon as it had begun. “I art
well.  Worry not for me.  It is thee for whom I worry.”
         “Me?” Grastalko asked. “Why?  Art there
nothing thou canst do for my arm?”
         “The magic in thy arm art the same magic
that I hath seen upon Nemgas.  ‘Tis an act of the
mountain to which we now journey.” Just thinking
of this ill-omened mountain made the pain flare
anew in his arm.  He winced and fell back into
the seat. “It hath a hold on thee, Grastalko.  Dost the pain grow worse?”
         “Every day.  But when thou wert
examining me I didst not feel the pain.  Why?”
         She shook her head. “That I dost not
know.  But I fear that thou wilt feel e’en
greater pain in the days ahead.  The course I
hath set shalt not be changed, for I must go
there.  As, I believe, thou must also.”
         “But I dost not wish to!” Grastalko
cried.  The thought of heading towards the source
of his agony horrified him.  Would he be able to
manage the pain at all?  How much worse would it get?
         “Of this thou hast no choice,
Grastalko.” Dazheen sighed and lowered her
face.  She seemed immeasurably more ancient, like
a crumbling stone wall built generations ago and
left untended. “I canst give thee something to
aid thy sleep.  It will take thee from the pain
for a time, but sleep art all that thou wilt do
when thou hast taken the draught.”
         “Anything that wilt help.  Please!”
         Dazheen nodded slowly. “Bryone wilt
bring it to Hanaman’s wagon soon.  Go enjoy thy dinner with him.”
         Grastalko stood, and put his arm back
against his chest to protect it when he realized
what the seer had said. “How didst thee know I
wouldst be eating with Hanaman tonight?”
         Dazheen lifted her face and smiled.
“There art things I canst still see without my
cards, young Grastalko.” He blushed in
embarrassment at doubting her.  But she didn’t
seem to mind. “Go and know that thou wilt sleep well this night.”
         “Thank thee, Dazheen,” he said.  He
glanced briefly at Bryone, then hurried out
before she could say anything.  With each step
through the snow toward Hanaman’s wagon the pain
blossomed in his arm again.  Grastalko gritted
his teeth tight and stared balefully to the
southwest.  The source of his agony was out there
somewhere.  How could he possibly face it?

----------

         Water clouded with sand and froth foamed
violently around him, tumbling across the smooth
sandy bottom of the secluded beach with all the
wrath of an irritated sea god but he suffered the
defeat stoically.  For one born and raised with
the sea at his doorstep the assault of a breaking
wave was mere play yet it brought frustration
nonetheless.  The waves defeated him each time
and with every ignominious dunking and thrashing
across the sandy bottom that frustration
grew.  The wave board prevented him from simply
plunging through the breaking waves in an easy
dive; it was simply too buoyant.  Yet each time
he tried to cut up and across the waves they
would surmount and roll the board, and him with
it, into a chaos of sand and froth.
         He was perhaps seven, clad on in a
simple loincloth and water shoes, tackling the
waves breaking upon a broad wash of dark
sand.   He was a pauper, clad in the common
garments of a seafront peasant, and his name was
Phil.  But he was not the Phil whom he knew
himself to be, he was only a child embracing a
challenge, not a white-furred animal drowning in
the surf.  Staggering back to his feet after
another bruising surf roll he cast about for the
wave board that had been ripped from his
hands.  His eyes stung with the salt and
frustrated tears, blurring his vision.  The other
children sharing the waves with him could ride
the rolling waves on their simple boards,
reed-framed constructs wrapped in a thin layer of
tanned whale-leather, with all the grace of gulls
on the wing.  Retrieving his strayed board Phil
once more stretched out upon it and paddled toward the next approaching wave.
         As it neared he swing the board to one
side to tack up the face of the wave and paddled
hard with his hands.  Swiftly the face of the
wave bore him up, tilting the board ever more
steeply no matter how much he paddled.  He was
almost at the crest of the wave, now hanging onto
the board as it listed fully, but the curling lip
caught the high side of the board and sent him
tumbling down the face of yet one more wave.
         Like any child of Whales he could swim
as skillfully as a fish so the churning innards
of the wave did not alarm him.  The sandy bottom
punished his lack of wave-riding skill with fresh
bruises and scrapes but that, as well, was
neither new nor alarming.  After being released
from its rough handling he stood and shook the
water from his eyes.  A few of the other children
laughed at his lack of skill while others merely
looked on.  A strong hand came to rest upon his
shoulder causing him to turn toward the form
standing in the shallows at his side, the taller
man casting Phil in his shadow.
         “Head on, lad, head on.” The man advised
with a tone of gentle humor, his chin nodding
toward another wave as it built up and crashed
down around the dozen other children riding its
curve.  Phil blinked salt induced tears from his
eyes and cocked his head to look up at the
stranger whose physique was quite unlike that of
the local Whalish people.  He had the pallor and
broad-shouldered frame of a mainlander and
sported a slender bit of hair beneath his lower
lip in a point the likes of which Phil had only
glanced sported by duelists, courtiers, or
brigands.  The look in the dark brown eyes was
not dangerous, however, and was clad more like a
courtier than brigand, in silks and fine cotton
linen opposed to the well worn leathers of
sailors or commoners.  Tucked under his other arm was a gleaming silver flute.
         “What?” Phil groused feigning difficulty
hearing over the roar of the next incoming wave.
         “You’re trying to cut across the wave to
traverse the crest, lad.” The gaily clad courtier
seemed to pay no heed to the ruin that seawater
was making of his expensive raiment.  “Putting
your broad side to the wave just gets you tossed
like an unmoored boat.  You’ve got to approach it head-on.”
         “Of course I knew that!” Phil railed,
looking for his lost wave board.  “Any sailor
knows you don’t climb a wave broadside.”  He
could not see his board.  Nor, for that matter,
could he see the beach, the cliff-climbing city
of Whales, or any land at all.  He found himself
staring down at the pale, smooth wood of a ship’s deck.
         There was a curious pattern of scratches
in the age-worn planks near the base of a
pedestal mounted spyglass.  The sun was only a
short distance above the eastern horizon and the
post upon which the spyglass was mounted created
a shadow across those gouges like the line of a
sundial’s blade.  But it was a sundial only he
could decipher, the gouges made by his own
toeclaws etching a pattern that said nothing to
anyone but Phil.  Sunlight shone down the barrel
of the spyglass and created a pinpoint of
brilliant light at the apex of several scratches.
         “Do they now?”
         Phil looked up from the confusing
display to find himself upon the deck of the
Burning Spear alone but for the same mainlander
who now leaned upon the long spar of the
steersman’s tiller.  Beyond him, aft of the
Spear, arrayed an armada of ships vast beyond
counting, the sky and water teaming with a host
of foes.  Fear seized Phil’s heart for the Spear
was a ship adrift and unmanned.  All around her
other Whalish ships sat upon a glassy sea with
empty decks and motionless oars.  Phil’s ears
backed in heart-clutching fear as the hopeless
situation seized him.  “What matters a wave?” he
challenged the stranger with a wave of one short,
white-furred arm at the armada around them, “When
enemies lie at anchor in the harbor?”
         The stranger shrugged, “What matters a
wave, lad, when you know to take it head on and
they do not?”  Turning his head the man glanced
eastward and Phil followed his gaze.
         As he watched the horizon rippled an
rose behind and to one side of the enemy host, a
wave bulking upward as it surged toward them.  As
Phil watched it raised up the dark shapes of the
enemy ships and sent them tumbling down the face
of that watery mountain.  Even as he watched the
foe being dashed into the sea he felt the Spear beginning to list.
         The wave was not directly astern, it
came upon their aft port beam and the Burning
Spear began to rise up and roll.  The stranger
with the intense brown eyes made no motion to
correct their course with the tiller upon which
he still leaned as if unmoved by the steadily
steepening list of the deck.  “Head on, lad, head
on.” The man intoned completely unconcerned by
the wall of foaming water towering above
them.  Already the Spear was listing so far that
it was difficult for Phil to stand even after
digging in his claws.  The spyglass squeaked
forlornly as it spun atop its post.
         “Turn us, damn you! Turn us!” Phil fell
forward and scrambled at the deck but horizontal
had become vertical and sunlight was eclipsed in
an azure shadow.  He felt himself falling away
from the deck as the Spear tumbled, a white
hammer of sea foam plunging down toward him.

         Prince Phil, heir to the thrown and
power of Whales, thrashed about upon his berth
like the frightened rabbit that he was.  Falling,
he felt, to land heavily upon the deck in a
tangle of linens and lines.  It took him a moment
to realize that he had not been plunged
helplessly into the sea and that the wood he had
landed upon was safely horizontal.  He forced
himself to still in a fit of pique; too many
times awakening to fear would lead him to
slipping into his uselessly feral state and stuck impotently in a cage.
         He could ill afford to loose his control
now, before his sailors, upon the eve of a war.
         Nay, not a war, but a single
engagement.  Should the engagement fail it would
become a war; a war that Whales would be hard
pressed to prosecute with their current naval
strength.  He could not lead his sailors, his
people, or his serve his kin and King from within
a cage impotently nibbling on carrots.
         “Your highness?” a young voice inquired
cautiously from the shadows.  “Are you well, Prince?”
         Phil chuffed irritably and forced
himself to still though his heart continued to
race so strongly the roar of it filled his
head.  “Aye, I am myself.”  Again, still in
control of his faculties by sheer force of will alone.
         “You’ve become tangled, may I assist
you?”  Brad, Captain Ptomamas’ nephew and cabin
boy, asked.  Of the crew he seemed the least
distressed by the fact that his liege was an
oversized rabbit prone to fits of feral
witlessness.  But then the boy was a mere nine years of age.
         “Aye, if you would.  What is the
time?”  With the boy’s efficient help, even at
nine he was a competent member of the Spear’s crew, Phil was quickly untangled.
         “Just after dawn, Highness, we have
already spoken the Dawn Prayer.”  Brad’s shadow
explained while deftly sorting the snarl of
linens and replacing them on Phil’s spartan
berth.  Phill donned his tabard and belt in the
dim shadows of the cabin while he listened to the
boy and the song of the ship; the chanting of the
oarsmen, the drummer’s master tempo, mingled with
the creaking wooden voice of the ship itself.
         “Have you been on the deck?”
         “Nay, highness, my father forbade it because the foe has drawn close.”
         Phil rested his blunt-fingered paw upon
the lad’s shoulder as he stepped past him toward
the gangway, “My thanks, Brad.  May the fates
favour us this day, but your father is
wise.  Keep yourself safe and ready.”  Beyond the
narrow portal leading from the Captain’s cabin
the glow of sunlight on age-paled wood lent
enough light to the dim shadows of the lower deck
enough for Phil to pick his way toward the nearest ladder.

         The mood was tense and expectant as he
made his way past a few crewmembers resting
belowdecks, their weapons readied near at hand or
in the process of readiness that bespoke of
distracted activity more than any need to make
them any sharper.  Dark slashes splashed across
the wood still remained after the ambush of fire
that they had survived only two nights
before.  In the sharp angle of the early morning
light they looked like shadowy holes through the
pale wood of the bulkheads.  Phil ascended the
ladder to the main gangway and made his way to
the aft castle where a small knot of silhouettes
cast long shadows across the main deck.  The
officer of the deck and master drummer gave him
slow nods as he passed to make his way up the
short, steep stair to the aft castle.
         He found Rupert there, as well as a few
officers from both the First and Second Crews,
but none of the ship’s higher command.  “Where is
Captain Ptamomas?” He asked of Whiett, the
commander of the First Crew.  The reed-slender
officer gave him a brief glance and swift jerk of
hand to head as a distracted half-salute.
         “Getting a few moments of rest, your
Highness, down among the Third Crew.” Whiett
offered curtly but without any disrespect.  “Step
on up here and see what there is to see, but keep
yourself somewhat low.  We’ve got lads in white
on every deck in the fleet but a good spyglass in
the day will tell our tainted brothers what ship you’re commanding.”
         Keeping low was not difficult, the
gunwales of the Spear came almost to Phil’s
shoulders when he rested back on his powerful
haunches.  A waterboy wearing a white smock
ducked down toward the stair as Phil mounted to
the aft deck, giving the prince a wan smile
before sidling down the stair.  Phil gave his
shoulder a touch as he had with Ptamomas’ nephew
and stepped onto the deck to look eastward over the aft rail.
         The nearness of the enemy fleet
surprised him initially, but as he scanned the
horizon the sheer size of the enemy armada gave
his heart a distinct pause.  “Numbers?” he asked
with a quick chuff, his backed ears rising
briefly before he realized it and forced them
back down.  The waterboy had not been wearing
anything to give him the appearance of ears so
Phil thought it best not to give the enemy something distinct to see.
         “Three score and some, my Prince.”
Whiett grumbled from his place near the plotting
table.  “Another group joined them in the night
but from where they came I have no idea.”
         “They passed south of us in the night.”
One of the mages supplied from behind Phil as he
mounted the ladder.  “Aramaes will be up shortly,
he is conversing with Pythoreaus’ circle.”  The
man gave Phil a deep nodding half-bow in
greetings, “And I think you need not worry
overmuch of our enemy’s eyes, sire.  If they’ve
anyone with a decent spyglass they will have
noted your bodyguard already.” He waved a hand
bedecked with ornate rings toward Rupert where he
stood silently at the aft rail.  “We overtook
those others likely making to rendezvous from the
north, Pythoreaus reports that they were not among the group harassing him.”
         “How far is Pythoreaus from us now?  We
could sore use his aid very soon, the enemy has
closed more swiftly than I would have expected.”
Whiett asked while he looked at the plotting
table and the First Crew navigator read a few
shadowmarks off of his navigation angle.  He gave
one shoulder a shrug, “Well, our Whalish brothers
I would have expected such speed from, but not
out of those canvas driven cogs.”
         “Less than a league to our bow.” The
mage reported, looking eastward at the armada
spread across the horizon behind them.  “They’re
under masking magic until they can join our
group.”  The man reached down to touch Phil’s
shoulder lightly with his fingertips, “Speaking
of magic, highness, look to the western horizon.”
         Phil, and the others on the aft deck,
did as bade and scanned the western horizon.  A
thin line of shadows seemed to hover just above
the gentle curve of the distant sea but with the
early hour it was difficult to read what they
were seeing as more than fading night.  “What is
it we are expected to see, Phernias?” Phil asked.
         “Storm clouds, your grace.  The mages of
Whales have raised a wind to push our Wind
Runners to us, and slow the enemy
windships.”  Phil scoured the western horizon but
the shadow did not reveal itself to be anything
recognizable as a weather phenomenon.
         “How far are we from Whales?”
         “Five or six leagues by our reckoning,
my prince.” Whiett offered grimly.  “Those clouds
block the peaks from view.”  He shifted his
attention toward Phernias with a thin, grim
smile.  “We’ve made excellent time with the mages
aiding us, but our men are beginning to show the strain.”
         “As are the mages, we cannot sustain our
efforts to much longer.” Phernias reported with
equal grimness.  “The fatigue of the men has been
taken on heavily by our number, Highness.  If we
continue to push ourselves some of us will perish from sheer exhaustion.”
         “They shant, Phernias.  I fear that the
enemy will overtake us before we see highsun if
they keep closing at their current speed.”  With
a long breath Whiett glanced back at the enemy
armada.  “And there is more, my prince, none of it good.”
         “More?”
         “The spotters have identified whale sign among the enemy ships.”
         Phil’s brows furrowed and he tilted his
head slightly, “Whale sign?”  That was nothing
unusual to see anywhere on the ocean.
         “Among the enemy ships, as I said.  The
Merai have joined our foes, the beasts they
command move with the enemy.  I do not know when,
but if they’d been allied more than a day I would
imagine that they would have moved against us already.”
         Phil felt his heart drop at that news
though it was not wholly unexpected after
Aramaes’ report the previous evening.  That alone
made him fear that the entire idea of facing and
vanquishing their tainted brethren, a difficult
and painful task that it would have been on its
own, completely untenable.  Already they were
outnumbered three ships to one by the inclusion
of ships, pirates and fishermen allied to no
nations, that had lived among the islands of the
straights.  And then there were the Sathmoran and
Pyralian ships caught up in the mix.  Sinking
them, should word of it return to those nations,
could cause diplomatic repercussions that would
last years if they did not bring about their own wars.
         Without Merai supplementing the Whalish
ships, relying only on dragons and the surprise
windships already fast running from Whales under
the push of mage-spawned storms, Phil did not
feel confident.  He could not show the faltering
of his heart, however, in the face of these loyal sons of Whales.
         “As Ptomamus said yesterday, the Merai
are not too great a threat if they try to assault
us out of the water.  With Pythoreaus’ fleet
hiding near at hand, and Stohshal making all due
speed before a strong wind we will be at the
advantage against that host.” Phil tried to sound
confident as he stepped up to the plotting table
and grasped the intricately worked edge with his blunt-fingered hand paws.
         Whiett raised one eyebrow dubiously,
“Advantage upon them, my prince?  They’ll have us
three to one even with the Windships among us.”
         Phil nodded slowly, “Aye, but they are
pirates and cargo haulers for the most part, just
as hard pressed to maintain distance on us as our
oarsmen to keep that distance however it
slips.”  He waved one white furred hand toward
the aft, “With only a score of Dromon, seven
Dromonai among those, and the Iron King they do
not have our number.  If they restrain from
engaging until their cogs can catch up the choice
of water will be ours and the fleets tight
pressed limiting how well they can deploy their fire.”
         With a begrudging grunt of
acknowledgment Whiett looked over the aft rail,
“If we can continue our course until Stohshal is
within support range we’ll wear them down just
that little bit more.”  He directed his gaze
westward and his lips drew into a narrow line,
“And you say we will have dragons.  That will
upset their strategies, no doubt about that.”
         “Have indeed, commander.”  Aramaes
hauled himself up from the lower deck and leaned
upon the forward railing looking overwhelmed but
pleased.  “You shant have mages enough to support
the fight, Highness, we are simply too weighed
upon, but Stohshal reports seeing them ahead of
the storms pushing his canvas.”  He afforded Phil
a roguish half-smile from one corner of his
mouth, the fine etching of blue tattoos
contorting across his cheek.  “He counts
fourteen, most of them the smaller and younger
storm riders, but a handful of fire
breathers.  That’s an entire battlegroup of Dromonai.”
         Phil laughed with a nod, “That can fly.”
He said with grim satisfaction.  “Your news is
well received Aramaes.  Our foe is but a league
aft and will close within the day under our
current oar.  Your circle will only need hold out
until the engagement is upon us and after that
”
         “We just try to survive, Highness,
yes.  We will do all that is within our power,
and leave the rest up to good strong men with
honed steel.”  Aramaes dismissed his subordinate
mage with a slight wave of one hand.
         Phil looked back to the east and the
array of ships bearing down upon them with slow
implacability.  “For now we merely need wait.”
         Aramaes joined the First Crew on the aft
castle while Whiett ordered those without any
immediate duties to get water and
rest.  Throughout the morning the men at the oars
rotated regularly, far more frequently than Phil
had ever witnessed and without the precise
scheduling typical of ship duties.  When a
oarsman began to feel fatigue he waved over
someone waiting to take a bench and rotated out for a bit of rest.
         Phil stood at the rail and watched the
enemy host, now spread out across a broad front
with the Iron King at the core just behind a line
of steadily moving oar ships.  Behind that line
the wind driven ships tacked carefully to keep
their sails belled with whatever wind their own
mages could sustain.  Every so often Phil spied
the white spume of a whale’s blow among the ships
but other than the cursory hints he saw no other sign of the Merai among them.

----------

         The morning dawned crisp and cold in
Masyor.  Frost covered the tents, the grasses,
and even those soldiers unfortunate to sleep
under the stars.  The tracks of mud had hardened
over the night’s course which made it even easier
for the horses and wagons to move about as the
lords of the Southern Midlands all gathered at
Duke Titian Verdane’s meeting tent.
         Sir Malcom Royce had woken Verdane from
his oddly peaceful slumber once the pale winter
sun peeked above the eastern treetops.  The
knight reported that all remained calm and that
the soldiers were more worried about huddling
around the morning cook fires than they were
about attacking each other.  Verdane was not
surprised to discover that nobody had reported
seeing a stranger in their midst last night.
         He took only a bit of bread and cheese
to break his fast, washed it down with warm
juice, and then readied himself to face his
vassals.  The words of the Felikaush reverberated
through his mind.  He did not even need to look
at the letter to know them. Tyliå-nou’s
unutterably strange presence lingered in his
chambers, but no sign of him was there apart from
the letter.  This he concealed from Sir
Royce.  He did not want any to know that his
decision this day was motivated by ancient
creatures living in enchanted forests where no
man dare trod.  If this feud had eroded his
ability to command his vassals, that knowledge would destroy it altogether.
         “Is all prepared?” Verdane asked as a
page fretted over the evenness of his tunic.
         Sir Royce nodded.  Apollinar fidgeted
with his spectacles and said, “Your soldiers at
the meeting tent have been relieved and fresh
soldiers sent.  Lord Guilford and his allies are
there already.  Lord Grenholt, Lord Thrane, and
Lord Stoffels wait outside for you.”
         Verdane nodded and slapped the page’s
prying hands from his collar. “It is fine.  I am
ready now.  What of Lord Dupré?”
         Sir Royce grunted. “I have him being
brought by carriage.  Few know that he is being
held prisoner.  I thought it prudent to keep that secret for now.”
         “Good.  And Anya?”
         “She’s already there,” Apollinar replied.
         Verdane gazed briefly at his mailed
doublet, noting the wolf’s head silhouette across
the breast.  The letter told him that the wolf
would not conquer horse or falcon within his
lifetime.  He’d long harboured that dream and
after the curses struck Metamor had felt it was
finally within his grasp.  Now it was gone.  The
ravenous wolf would hunger for a time more.
         Finally, he took his eyes from the
mirror and nodded to his Castellan and Steward.
“Then let us keep them waiting no more.”  Verdane
led them from the tent where he found another
page standing ready with his horse saddled and
barded.  Verdane’s breath misted in the cold
air.  Beyond sat the three nobles who had aided
him these last few months.  They bowed their heads  at his approach.
         Verdane took the reins from the page and
mounted.  His horse, a black destrier he’d
trained himself, snorted and stamped his hooves
as he turned about to join the others.  Behind
him, Sir Royce and Apollinar mounted and
followed.  A carriage trailed behind them covered in Kelewair soldiers.
         None of his vassals dared engage him in
conversation as they rode through the ranks of
soldiers toward the meeting tent.  Their eyes,
which passed between each other, back to the
carriage, and then toward the meeting tent and
assembled armies said all that needed
saying.  For the first time in a long time,
Verdane saw that they feared him again.
         Both horses and soldiers lined the
grasses outside the meeting tent.  A small pile
of weapons lay outside the entrance, each of them
carefully placed so as not to touch any other
weapon.  Verdane and the rest dismounted and at
his direction, his vassals each lowered their
swords and knives to the ground.  Verdane alone
entered the tent with his sword at his side.
         Like the day before, Lord Guilford and
his allies sat on one side of the table.  Dupré’s
allies sat on the other, and these already looked
uncertain as their master wasn’t with them.  All
of them rose when Duke Verdane entered.  He
ambled stiffly past and quickly took his seat in
the makeshift throne at the head of the
table.  Grenholt, Thrane and Stoffels sat nearby,
but Anya was given pride of place at her father’s
right hand.  Her eyes were a mask; though they
saw everything around, not even her father could
read them.  Whatever she was feeling she would
not show it.  It both irritated and pleased Verdane.
         “Thank you all for coming at my call,”
he said in a sarcastic drawl.  Some of them,
especially those that allied with Guilford or
Dupré, flinched back in their seats. “This
foolishness has gone on long enough.  I will be
brief.  The war in my lands is now over.  To
those of you aiding either Lord Guilford or Lord
Dupré, your traitorous acts will be forgiven
under two conditions.  First, all your troops
must have left Masyor by the set of the sun, and
you must return to your homelands
straightaway.  Second, after you have returned to
your lands, you will each send a levy of your
food stores to feed the people of Kelewair who
have had to forgo much to feed my army.  If you
fail in this, and I will personally check that
each of you has complied, then your lands will be
taken from you and given to others more worthy of your titles.”
         He could hear a few grumbles, and
several shifted uneasily.  Verdane paid especial
note of those who did not.  Those who grumbled
now were sure to do as he wished.   Most of the
rest would too, but they would need watching.
         “Lord Anson Guilford.  Eight months ago
I assigned to you the task of rebuilding the
bridges across the eastern Southbourne.  You have
failed to accomplish this.  Your armies are to be
converted to this task.  By the first of the new
year I want the foundations laid on at least one
of the bridges.  Those of your men who are not
occupied with the bridges are to be set to
rebuilding the towns in your fief that were destroyed in this squabble.”
         Lord Guilford’s eyes lifted in surprise
at this.  It was clear he expected something
harsher.  A smile teased the corner’s of his
lips.  Verdane glowered at the man. “However,
should you seek any reprisal against Dupré’s men
or his lands, you will meet the same fate as William.”
         Guilford’s smile faded instantly. “Am I
to have no satisfaction for my son’s death?”
         “William’s fate will suffice to you or
you will share it.  I will not tolerate any more
of your feud.” He turned to Sir Royce. “Bring in
Lord William Dupré that I may pronounce his fate.”
         Sir Royce nodded and waved to soldiers
standing at the entrance to the tent.  Two of
them disappeared outside.  While Verdane’s
vassals shifted nervously, and Lord Guilford kept
a baleful stare upon the Duke, Verdane fingered
the hilt of his sword.  How he so wanted to draw
it and cleave William’s head from his body.  His
heart beat faster at the thought of William’s
blood splattering across his cheeks.  His fingers
tensed, frustrated, and then withdrew from the hilt.
         Lord William Dupré was still chained and
gagged when Sir Royce marched him into the
tent.  Dupré’s eyes were at times defiant and at
others full of misery.  Whatever du Tournemire
had done to him had clearly unhinged his
mind.  He was very glad that he’d never accepted
du Tournemire’s suggestion of a game of cards.
         Royce brought Dupré to within a stone’s
throw from Verdane’s throne and then pushed him
to his knees.  Dupré’s lips curled around the
gag.  His eyes never left the Duke.
         Verdane stood and drew his
sword.  Almost everyone held their breath and
quite a few gasped.  Verdane held the blade
before him, threatening but not too close lest
Dupré attempt to skewer himself. “Lord William
Dupré, your actions in precipitating this war and
in your alliance with a foreign power, you have
given me the right to execute you before your
peers.” And how much he wished to do so.  Verdane
tried to think of his son Jaime, held captive in
the courts of Salinon.  The letter had offered
him a slim hope, but it was still hope.
         “I choose not to kill you this day, but
it is not because I am merciful.  The land of
Mallow Horn passes to my daughter Anya.  In time
your son Jory may inherit the land, but he will
be my child and not yours.  You will never see
him again.  I pronounce a sentence of exile upon
you, William Dupré.  In these lands you have no
title, no rank, no position, no servants, no
land, and no family to speak for you.  If you
should ever return to these lands you will be
killed.  You have until the beginning of the new
year to cross the Marchbourne River.  Troops will
escort you there to make sure you practice no
devilry on your way.  No accommodations of honour
will be granted you on your way.  The only mercy
you have from me in this regard is that you shall
be an anonymous prisoner on this journey.
         “Once across the Marchbourne, the
soldiers will bring you to the lands of Metamor
where you shall suffer the touch of their
curse.  What becomes of you will be reported to
me and to all in my kingdom.  After, I care not
what you do, only that you never return, never
write any letters, or ever again have any contact
with your family.  This is your fate, William.”
William Dupré stared wild eyed at him and he
screamed through the gag.  Royce smacked him in
the back of the head and he tumbled to the ground.
         Verdane turned his gaze on the now pale
Lord Guilford who stared back in horror. “That is
the fate you will share, Anson, if you do not do as I command.”
         Lord Guilford slowly nodded.  He
muttered, “I understand, your grace.  I will
build bridges and homes.  Nothing more.”
         “Good.  I am Duke Titian Verdane IV of
Kelewair.  You are all my vassals.  You will each
renew your vows to me this very hour or go with
William to become a beast, a babe, or a whore.  The choice is now yours.”
         And with that he sat down in his
throne.  As Sir Royce dragged the blubbering
William Dupré away, the others fell over
themselves to be the first to renew their vows of
obedience and service.  After so long a time, and
at such a high price, Duke Verdane knew that the
Southern Midlands were once again his.
         He hoped that in time Jaime would understand.

----------

         Elvmere needn’t have worried.  Master
Elsevier was as good as his word once again and
procured for them a humble but private carriage
complete with a team of four horses and a fresh
supply of bread, cheese and wine to succour them
on their trip from Menth to Metamor.  And to
further show his dedication to the priestess,
Elsevier volunteered to drive the carriage
himself with only a trio of his sailors to provide defence against banditry.
         The raccoon and priestess rode in
relative comfort across the northern
countryside.  The trip took no more than two days
in good weather, but with the roads cloaked by
snow it was another day before the mighty castle of Metamor was in sight.
         Until then, Elvmere and Nylene talked
quietly, prayed, or watched the vistas pass them
by.  From Menth the road north led past the well
tended forests south of the valley’s mouth to the
more wild stretches once the mountains closed in
on either side.  They passed many small homes
along the first day, farmers or shepherds it made
little difference.  From each a thin column of
smoke rose testifying to the warmth and life within.
         On the second they entered the valley
proper and what few people braved the cold air
they saw were either merchants like Elsevier or
Metamorians patrolling the woods, river, and
road.  Elvmere felt a flush of anxiety when he
saw his first animal morphed Keeper again.  He’d
left Malger and Sheyiin’s company at the wharves
of Breckaris months ago now it seemed.  Apart
from them and Murikeer, they’d been the only
Keepers he’d seen since March.  Nine months he
reckoned it.  Time enough for a woman to carry a
child to term.  The thought both intrigued and
irked him.  Intrigued because he was a different
man than the one who’d left Metamor by
paw.  Irked because it was far too prideful a thought to allow to please him.
         Of these feelings he confided a few to
Nylene who nodded sagely.  Her eyes were taken by
every Metamorian they spotted along the
road.  For a time they travelled alongside a
rather wooly badger-man carting onions from the
south, and he and Nylene discussed the valley and
its affairs.  Elvmere didn’t recognize him and
was grateful that the badger, a master Derygan, didn’t recognize him either.
         But what wondrous news he had!  Duke
Thomas was to be wed, and to none other than Dame
Alberta Artelanoth!  It took Elvmere a few
questions more to learn that this was the new
name of she who’d once been the knight Sir Albert
Bryonoth of Patriarch Akabaieth’s
retinue.  Though generally delighted by the news,
Derygan did complain that he hadn’t found anybody
else as reliable to cart his onions for him.
         Elvmere couldn’t help but marvel at the
drastic changes Metamor had made in the
knight.  He knew that Artelanoth had come from
the Flatlands and recalled Sir Egland fretting
over her after the curse took her.  She hadn’t
been adjusting to being female very well so how
could she now be marrying the Duke?  But Derygan
the badger wasn’t much help there either.
         Still, he brought news that the valley
had not suffered from any more incursions by
Lutins or by any other foul creatures.  There was
a fantastic tale about an assassin caught in the
bell tower during the Solstice festival, but
Derygan knew even less of that than he did of the Duke’s bride.
         But the badger turned down the road
towards the Iron Mines and so they continued
towards Metamor alone.  Of the others sharing the
road with them they saw more scouts and soldiers
than anything else.  These proved far less
conversational than the onion merchant.  And they smelled worse too.
         Shortly before noon on the third day of
travel, while immersed in a conversation about a
point of theology, Elsevier knocked on the door
of the wagon and said, “You’ll want to see this, priestess!”
         Nylene stooped by the door and stared
north out the window of the carriage.  She gasped
and Elvmere had to catch her round the middle to
keep her on her feet. “It’s beautiful!  More
beautiful that even Malger could say!” Her
awestruck voice pricked a tingle of delight in
the raccoon’s chest.  He slid his head out, one
ear brushing across the top of the carriage door as there was so little room.
         What he beheld made him tremble and
forget his discomfort.  A surge of joy blossomed
in his heart, and his whole body tingled with
excitement.  His paws wrapped tighter around
Nylene’s waist, and his tail flashed back and
forth with an almost canine merriment.  His green
eyes brimmed, but the tears he held back only
because they would impede his view.  He felt like
a child who’d been lost in the woods but had
finally seen his mother standing at the edge looking for him.
         Above the tops of the trees, with the
edge of the mountains clustering close on both
sides, rose the towers of Metamor Keep.  Their
alabaster sheen brightened the leaden sky and
seemed a pearl amidst ash.  In the way the
cupolas were arranged from their vantage point,
he fancied he saw the entire castle smiling at him.
         Elvmere rested his snout on Nylene’s
head and she patted his shoulder with one hand.
“Is it good to be home?” she asked, her voice still awed from the sight.
         The raccoon’s tears finally burst, and
his chest heaved in delight. “Aye, it is good.  Good to be home at last.”

----------

         “Have you ever watched stray dogs on the street, Prince Phil?”
         Phil looked up at the unexpected
question to find Aramaes at his side, the lanky
man’s hands clasped loosely at the small of his
back while he looked across the water.  “Stray dogs?”
         Aramaes nodded sagely without looking
away from the enemy flotilla now slightly more
than a half league behind them. “Aye, highness,
dogs.  Normally they move in their own little
packs, their territories overlapping, and will
work as a larger pack when there is some prey
that needs more than just a few to bring down, or
when there is enough food for all so that competition is gone.”
         “Yes, I have seen them, but I do not understand the point?”
         “They work together, but they don’t work
as a single pack.  That is my point.  They are
two packs, with two leaders, with two commanders,
and a lot of warriors answering to their pack
leader, not to the other.”  Aramaes unlaced his
fingers and waved one of his slender, expressive
hands in the direction of the enemy fleet, “Our
corrupted brothers, the free seamen from the
Marzac isles, the pirates, Sathmorans, Pyralians,
and what other ships that have been drawn in by
the dark touch, are all individual ships.  Or
small flota of a few ships such as those Dromon,
but they are not a whole.”  His hand lowered
toward the water, “The Merai, likewise, may not
be of one city or even kingdom if such exist
below the waves.  They do not communicate with
the captains of the ships under which they now
swim, and the surface dwellers like us do not treat with them.”
         “Their entire battle doctrine is going
to be in complete chaos, in other words.”
         Aramaes bobbed his head slowly, “We can
hope, but I put little expectation of complete
disarray among them.  See, now, as they are
arrayed.  The faster ships have not surged
forward, they hang back awaiting their cogs.  The
Merai, as well, remain with the fleet to act as a
large mob of disparate packs rather than small groups.”
         “They mean to overwhelm us by sheer
numbers, then.”  Phil’s ears quirked uneasily as
he shook his head.  Out of the corner of his eye
he glanced westward at the towering pillar of
black clouds above the broad wash of low, slate
gray clouds spreading across the distant
horizon.  Under the core of that mounting storm
the peaks of Whales were lost but visible when
the lightening flickered in just the right
array.  Tendrils of cloud like the reaching
fingers of a starving amoeba stretched across the
sky overhead slashing the blue with ever
darkening gray, but the dragons had not yet put
in an appearance.  In the far distance Phil could
spy, if he chose to use the spyglass, the angular
sails of the Windriders just peeking over the horizon.
         Aramaes smiled, a rictus snarl that
crossed his face giving him the mien of a
sinister cadaver for a moment under the fine blue
lines, “They mean to try, your highness, but remember the dogs.”
         But just at that moment stray dogs were
far from Phil’s mind, for a curious pattern of
etches in the deck had caught his
attention.  Arrayed outward from the pedestal
holding the spyglass he had been using they
looked almost like the haphazard lines of a
sundial etched by the unskilled hand of a
child.  The post of the spyglass cut across those
lines, slowly swaying one way and then the other
as the Burning Spear rode up the crest of a wave
and slid into the trough that followed it.  The
spyglass, viewing glass pointed toward the sky
and eyepiece pointed toward the deck, created a
brilliant circle of sunlight that danced across
the etched markings and bisected the shadow created by the post.
         Phil’s heart clenched in his chest with
a sudden unreasoning fear and he grasped at the
ship’s railing, looking east and northward intently.
         “Highness?”  Aramaes noticed the abrupt
change in his prince immediately but could see no
cause of the rabbit prince’s sudden attack of panic.
         “Yahshua’s tears, you were right!”
someone exclaimed in surprise close at Phil’s
left but no one stood there.  No one, that is,
save Rupert who also looked to his prince with
the same expression of simian concern shown by
Aramaes.  The voice that spoke, however, was not
Aramaes and certainly not Rupert.  “Look to my
voice, Prince of Whales, and listen!  I have only
a breath to speak!” the voice continued, now much
more intense with less of the startled
surprise.  Phil’s ears stood upright and he
leaned toward the ship’s rail, fingerclaws
digging into the wooden balustrade, while his
ears pinned forward to focus on the words.
         Those words that followed almost sent
Phil into a spiraling maelstrom of fear but he
understood their import before he felt the
panic.  “Head on, lad, head on!”  The last
syllable trailed away and was silenced as
abruptly as a taper dunked in water.  Fear
clutched at Phil’s heart but he shoved it aside and spun toward Whiett.
         “Come about!” he yelled, or tried to
yell, the sound coming out more as a squealing
yelp.  “Come about, that direction, swiftly!” he
thrust his arm toward the northeast.
         “My prince?” Whiett looked confused and
glanced toward Aramaes who only shrugged.
         “We must come about, now!”  Phil hopped
back to the rail and gazed northeastward.  “To
that direction, Aramaes tell the others to follow our course!”
         Aramaes nodded and touched the fingers
of one hand to his temple.  Whiett, while still
looking flummoxed by his new orders, crossed to
the forward railing.  “Come about, all
oars!  Steersman new heading, to the north and
east by north, three hundred fifteen
degrees!  Oars to starboard hard in!”  Whiett
looked to his prince and beyond but saw no threat
in the direction Phil’s attention was riveted.
         “Oars to starboard steep in, port double
stroke!” bellowed the Officer of the deck
below.  The drummer’s tempo increased rapidly
while the oars along the right side of the ship
were pushed deep into the water to break the
Spear’s forward momentum.  On all sides the rest
of their small flotilla also began to break hard
and turn, the orders of their respective deck
officers echoing across the water.  Phil clutched
the railing and dug in his claws and Aramaes
grasped the wood with one hand and continued to
gaze northeast.  Rupert spread his muscular legs
and leaned forward to drop one massive hand to
the deck as all about them the command crew
braced themselves.  The Burning Spear tried to
turn in such a short radius that it listed
alarmingly, the locks of the starboard oar ranks
almost dipping into the water crashing against the turning hull.
         “The host is turning!” one of the lower
ranked officers exclaimed.  Whiett leaned
expertly without bracing against anything and
watched everything from the steersman leaning
upon his tiller to the oarsmen working below,
relying on the eyes of his subordinates to keep
him informed of activities beyond his ship.
         “What is it, Phil?” Aramaes asked in a
hiss with an uncharacteristic lapse of protocol.
         Phil could only shake his head, “I don’t
know, yet.” He moaned, pounding the rail with one
hand, “A wave, a wave, that is what I fear.”
         The mage blinked and stared off in the
direction of Phil’s gaze and then Rupert gave the
railing a slap with one meaty hand.  He did not
point but the direction of his deep-set eyes and
the intensity of their dark gaze told everyone
that he had seen something.  He only refrained
from pointing lest he alert the enemy host of a
new direction to point their attention.  Phil
never looked away and after a few more seconds
Aramaes let out a startled, surprised grunt.  He
spun toward Whiett, “Wave!” He barked, “Demon wave, northeast by north!”
         “Distance?!!” Whiett snapped without
looking toward the horizon that captivated the
attention of the mage, rabbit, and ape.  Ptomamus
vaulted up the stairs from the lower deck in a
lunge and scanned the aft deck to see if there
was some manner of attack occurring.
         “Whiett, report!” the captain barked.
         “One league!” Aramaes cried out at the same moment.
         “Oars steady on, northeast by north,
prepare to take on water!”  Whiett yelled down to
the officer of the deck.  Ptomamus allowed his
subcommander to hold the deck for the moment
until the crisis was past, moving to join Phil at
the railing.  The wave, a line of darker blue
against the water far below the horizon,
stretched across the sea from southeast to
northwest but hardly looked threatening, little
more than a bulge in the water beyond the turning
enemy armada.  As Phil watched flecks of white
rippled along the crest where it crossed lesser
waves rippling the surface of the sea.
         “The enemy is turning to intercept our
course!” called one of the other officers, the
same one who had given the same report only
seconds before.  The Spear slowly settled once
again into its new heading.  “Fliers off the
decks!  The enemy windships have put out flying
beasts!”  The main waved an arm wildly toward the
distant line of sailing ships beyond the leading Dromon.
         “They’re turning across the wave.”
Aramaes said flatly in an undertone lost in the
chaos of exclamations filling the air.  He
grinned that same cadaverous rictus sneer and
chuckled deep in his throat.  As the wave neared
the flank of the enemy formation a few of the
more alert captains noted the threat and began to
respond.  Chaos erupted within the loose enemy
formations as some ships abruptly began to turn
so that they could take the wave along their
beams rather than broadside.  The turning ships
cut across the courses of ships less alert to the
wave, forcing those ships to hastily adjust their
headings lest they collide.  Shapes small only
due to distance began to rise from the distant sailing ships upon broad wings.
         The wave surged through the enemy
formation, raising the distant sailing ships and
causing the distant forest of towering masts to
ripple and sway.  A few listed over far enough
for their oarports to take on water and they
foundered with their masts pointing across the
water at sharp angles.  And then the cresting
wave surged across the smaller, less seaworthy
oar-powered ships and began to break.  Those
ships that had seen the oncoming danger thrust
almost vertically into the air as they cut over
the rolling crest but those that had not seen the
wave could do nothing.  They rose up the face of
the wave broadside, desperately throwing out
their oars to stay their roll or attempting to
turn but too late and far too ineffectively; the
top of the wave caught their broadside hulls and
broke over them swamping their decks if it did not roll them utterly.
         The Whalish Dromon among the enemy fleet
had seen the onrushing wave but not soon enough
to turn fully into the surge.  Caught in profile
half about the massive warships listed up the
face of the wave, their crews hastily surging
toward the higher bulkheads, and then fell over
the crest to crash upright into the trough beyond
the wave.  None of them foundered though it was
clear that many had taken on considerable
quantities of water, but the wave was too small
to impact their heavy hulls as it had the
smaller, slender skirmishers.  The white foam
crashed into them, rolling the broad hulls
dangerously and flooding their decks but none of
them foundered.  The massive Pyralian flagship
only bobbled unconcernedly and the wave rushed around it.
         Phil watched the wave crash through the
enemy host and felt a moment of triumph as he
watched enemy ships founder and capsize.  The
spent wave crashed toward Phil’s small fleet and
broke against their bows in a shower of foam,
lifting the Spear’s bow up several degrees before
the entire Dromonai rocked forward and crashed
into the trough with a second massive
splash.  The crew let out a ragged cheer more for
having survived the rogue wave than because they
witnessed the chaos that had broken out among the enemy ships.
         “Look to the sky!” Whiett bellowed and
pointed up.  The enemy armada had managed to
release some manner of beast before the wave
struck and those creatures had taken wing to rise
up in a circling column above the milling
remnants of the Marzac host.  Some three dozen in
count the huge beasts looked like jungle birds
festooned with a wild array of colors, long tails
and broad wings lent to low-altitude flight from
tree to tree.  They were not gliders suited for
thermals and would not long be able to sustain
their circling rise, Phil knew even if he could not put a name to the beasts.
         “Archers make ready!” Ptomamus
ordered.  Whiett leaped down the stair to the
lower deck to take command of the men at the oars
directly and left the command of the Spear to its
captain.  Ptomamus grasped Phil’s shoulder and
laughed maniacally, “I leave for a few minutes of
sleep and you awaken the sea gods, young Prince!”
he said with a grin.  “We may sustain this
yet.  Now, if you would, please take shelter belowdeck.”
         Phil blinked and backed his ears before
shaking his head emphatically.  “This is our
fight, captain, if I fled for cover below deck it
would demoralize the entire fleet much less our own crew.”
         “So would you getting feathered, young
prince.  You cannot hold sword or bow or even a
shield, highness, you are only a target here on the deck.”
         “I am a standard for the men of Whales,
captain.”  He grasped Ptomamus’ upper arm with
his handpaw and returned the captain’s
adrenalized grin with a smile of his own,
whiskers forward and ears up.  “Let the enemy see
me, let them see I am not afraid.”
         Ptomamus let out a barking guffaw and
shook his head, “If you come out the other side
of this on deck and not in that oversized cage,
Highness, the story of our rabbit war prince will
be sung about for centuries.”  The captain gave
Phil’s shoulder a hearty slap and crossed over to
the plotting table.  “Come about to our previous
heading!” he called down to the officer of the deck.
         Phil watched the slow spiral of the
enemy’s flying beasts rise above the fleet that
had closed alarmingly despite their losses.  The
ships crippled by the wave were left behind with
their crews as if they held no importance to the
fleet.  As the Spear and its attendant fleet came
about, under considerably less stress than their
initial turn, the pillar of strange avians
spiralled down to the remaining ships and
disappeared from the air.  As he had thought,
they were not made for protracted gliding.  Until
the two fleets came together they would stay grounded.
         “Archers, stand down.” Whiett ordered
from the center castle where he stood with the
infantry officers under his command.  The Second
and Third crews had been roused, those that were
not awakened by the wild turning minutes before,
and stood ready along the main gangway from one
end of the ship to the other.  Most had bows
while others held sword and shield and all eyes were cast toward the skies.
         “Aramaes, how distant are our support
groups?” Ptomamus asked while he shifted his
attention from the waters to the arches and up to
the flying monstrosities winging down toward the ships maintaining the chase.
         “Pythoreaus is closing to support us
now, he is out before us about as far as our
enemy is to our aft.  The windrunners are,”
Aramaes paused to scan the western horizon, “hmm,
they’ve doffed sails to hide in the dawn
reflections on the sea between them and the
Marzac armada, and to take what’s left of that
wave.  Stohshal means to come around and down on
them from the north once we’ve engaged, with the wind in their favor.”
         Ptomamus scowled and cocked an eyebrow, “Pytho is how far away?”
         “Less than half a league, captain, under illusion.”
         “And the dragons?”
         Aramaes shrugged and shook his head, “I
have no idea, but I hope they’re up in those clouds somewhere.”
         Ptomamus’ lips narrowed as he
contemplated the information he was given and
regarded the enemy fleet that had regained its
battle formation sans perhaps a score of ships
left foundering in the water behind them.  “And
for the love of Eli where did that wave come
from?”  His chief mage could only snort and shake
his head helplessly.  “Ara, tell them to tighten
up the fleet so the archers can support one
another.  Whatever those beasts are I don’t want
them coming down on us untouched.”
         “They look like Rhukh, captain, though I
have only seen those in books.”
         “Rhukh?  From the southern
continent?”  Ptomamus shielded his eyes and
looked up at the shadows beginning to circle
above them.  “Marzac taints beasts to do its bidding, too?”
         “I’d wager they’re trained beasts like
war hounds, captain.  And we don’t know what
resides in those jungles.” Aramaes shrugged and
watched the last of the beasts disappear from sight.
         “Ara, let’s talk war.”