[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXVI

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Tue Nov 11 18:04:52 EST 2008

Still posting updates.  One more chapter to go then I start on new material.

Oh, Ryx seems intent on writing more even though
I told him not to, so we may see more scenes from him in this still. :-)

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LXVI

New Arrivals at Metamor

         The banquet hall was decorated primarily
in red and black.  Banners, carpets, and
standards, all were black with the picture of a
rearing stallion in bright red.  Even most of the
knights bore tabards with that heraldry as did
their squires who served them and the few pages
assisting them in the supplying of food and
drink.  There were a few lone knights displaying
other colours, as well as many from Sir Delacot’s
troop, but almost all in attendance that winter
day belonged to the Order of the Red Stallion,
the chivalric order that answered to Duke Thomas Hassan of Metamor.
         Of those not dressed in the black and
red of the Order were two of the guests who sat
in the seats of honour.  The foremost bore a
tabard of green with a band of white that led to
a cross over her breast.  Her long equine ears
framed a jewelled tiara that wound through her
spiky mane, the only accoutrement to her knightly
attire that betrayed the status that would soon
befall her.  She sat with humble gratitude and an
almost apologetic demeanour.  The greatest place
was not hers by desire, but because the feast was for her.
         For she, Dame Alberta Artelanoth, was to
be wed only three days hence to the same Duke to
whom most of the knight’s answered.  Though she
had no squire of her own, pages from the Duke’s
service attended her with utmost care and
reverence.  To her great relief, her fellow
knights treated her not as a lady on a pedestal
but as one of their own.  As the courses wound
from bread and fruit to fish and meat and back to
bread again, they cajoled and joked with her, and
her dearest friends and companions of old told
stories of their adventuresome youths.  She
offered some of her own, though due to the nature
of the events that had stripped all the
masculinity from her, they still seemed like
stories of some legendary hero instead of her own past.
         Little was said of how she came to the
attention of Duke Thomas.  In truth, apart from
those who were there to witness the evil that had
controlled her, there were few who knew how she
and Thomas had fallen in love.  For most, all
they remembered was the day last Spring when
Thomas had sought her out at the Knight’s Ball
and danced with her, an honour he’d scarcely
offered to any other except when required or
requested by Thomas’s closest aides.
         This truth was hard for Sir Yacoub
Egland to forget.  The elk who also bore the
green tabard common to the knights of Yesulam had
been there that night when Steward Thalberg led
select warriors to capture Alberta in the act of
corrupting Thomas into being a simple horse and
nothing more.  The true villain in that affair
had been none other than the very man who had
killed their former master the Patriarch
Akabaieth, a fact that Egland constantly reminded
himself of.  That dark Sondecki bore the sins of
destroying the last vestiges of the man whom
Egland had loved as a brother, Sir Albert
Bryonoth.  Now, as he stood ready to give a toast
to the comely Assingh who had been born of the
curses and Bryonoth’s memory, he was grateful to have her as a sister.
         Sir Egland carefully leaned forward
against the long table, heavy antlers he soon
hoped to shed threatening to topple him over the
table, and let his eyes gaze over the many
different men and women who served as knight’s of
Metamor.  The Order of the Red Stallion was open
to both sexes by necessity for many of its
members had been made women at the Battle of
Three Gates, and it was nearly evenly
split.  Only a few who had been locked into youth
were among the Order, and these were nearly all
boys of unusual strength and size.  The rest were
split between those who had like Alberta changed
genders, and those like Egland who had gained beastly countenances.
         The banquet hall was the same room in
which the Knight’s Ball had been held last
Spring.  Three tables were arranged, with a short
one at the head of the room at the base of
Thomas’s seat, and the other two branching off
the cover the length.  Several seats were left
empty to mark the knights who had died in the
last year.  Most had died during the Winter
Assault begun under the terrible storm nearly one
year ago that day.  Already a dish of bitter
herbs had been shared by all to commemorate their loss.
         While Duke Thomas had deliberately
absented himself so as to allow Alberta all the
honour, Princess Malisa had joined them at first
in her adoptive father’s stead.  But after the
second course a messenger had come for
her.  She’d apologized as she left, and handed
duty of raising the toast to both knights and the
Duke’s bride-to-be to her closest companion, Sir
Egland.  As their squires quietly removed the
last course of bread and oil, Egland gathered his courage for the task.
         “My fellow knights,” he said at
last.  His two fingered hand clutched the goblet
so tight he feared he would shatter the glass.
“Who are we?  We are men and women who have
dedicated our lives to the service of our liege
and our country.  We have sworn to train our
bodies and minds for war.  We tirelessly pursue
virtue in our selves and in our land. We defend
the weak, the innocent, and those who have none
to speak for them.  We share a kinship with each
other, and train those who aspire to such a
life.  Some say we are glory seekers who care
only for the adulation of the crowd.  But it is
we who take the most dangerous place in the
battle, for we bear the standards and it is us
whom our enemies most seek to kill.  It is we who
are the visible sign of Metamor in battle and it
is our bravery that must hold firm.  No knight of
Metamor can be said to do less.”
         There were hearty cheers from those at
the tables, including from the squires moving to
and fro around them.  The elk lifted his goblet
higher. “To the knights of Metamor, the best
people on Earth!”  They stood with him and lifted
their goblets high and each drank it dry.
         Sir Egland wiped the wine from his
cervine snout and held his goblet out to
Intoran.  The oryx waited behind him with a ewer
and dutifully refilled his goblet.  His squire
favoured him with an approving grin. “And,” Sir
Egland said as his fellows returned to their
seats, “I would like to offer another
toast.  This to she who will be honoured higher
than any knight of this realm has yet to be
honoured.  To she who has done what for many
years Metamor hoped and dreamed would be
done.  To she, to my Yisaada, who has won the
heart of our most illustrious Duke.”
         The knights who had been impatiently
holding back their cheers let forth with another
round of delightful whooping and baying.  It
sounded more like a barnyard than a banquet
hall.  Egland couldn’t blame them.  Though he had
lived in Metamor Valley for only a year now, it
was a long standing frustration amongst the
knights, gentry and peasants alike that their
liege was without wife or true heir. Even more
than their relief to know that their liege would
wed was that he had chosen one of their own to share his duchy.
         Sir Egland lifted one hand and waved his
friends to silence.   He stood a little taller,
antlers weighing his head back, and lifted his
goblet as high as he could. “To Dame Alberta
Artelanoth, Duke Thomas Hassan’s bride-to-be!”
         “To Dame Alberta Artelanoth!” the
knights chorused with a roaring cheer.  Alberta
smiled where she sat as she watched the knights drink their toast to her.
         “And to Duke Thomas Hassan,” Egland
crooned, “who has made a very wise choice in
brides!” There were several laughs but more
cheers with everyone invoking the Duke’s
name.  Egland licked the wine from his snout and
saw that he had a little bit left. “And but one
more toast have I, then I shall leave you to your
feast.  To them both.  Long live the Duke and long live his bride!”
         Boots, hooves, and paws stomped the
ground like the beat of a thousand drums. “Long
live the Duke and long live his bride!”
         Alberta beamed and rose, her equine body
both powerful and fetching in her knightly
tabard.  Her ears stayed perfectly erect.  With a
fierce pride in her voice, she brayed, “And long live the knights of Metamor!”
         Sir Egland had not thought it possible
for his friends to smile or whoop louder, but
they managed.  For several minutes the chanting
continued, for the Duke, for Alberta, for
Metamor, and for whomever else struck their
fancy.  The elk was embarrassed when one such
chant was offered for him.  Intoran made sure to
nudge him in the back with one elbow when he nearly stumbled from his hooves.
         But soon the chanting came to an end and
the squires returned to bringing the last few
courses of food.  Alberta put one hand on
Egland’s wrist and smiled to him.  He flicked an
ear in her direction as he dare not lean toward
anyone until he shed his antlers. “Thou didst
speak very well of me.  Art thou ready to lead me to my husband, T’samut?”
         He took a quick sip of wine. “It wasn’t
easy, Yisaada.  But seeing you in your dress yesterday really helped.”
         She brayed long and heartily, and Egland
joined her with a laugh of his own a moment
later.  Alberta lowered her hand and leaned back
in her seat. “It is hard to believe that the day is almost here.”
         “Three days more.”
         Alberta grimaced, then stared past him
and smiled. “Ah, good, another bread course!”
         The banquet continued full of good cheer
and the occasional story regaled by one member to
the whole.  Most of them were about the things
they had seen while patrolling with the scouts
and soldiers over the last month.  Not a one of
them had been exempt from the duty.  Even Alberta
had insisted on going out once.  She, Egland, and
several others had accompanied a large contingent
of soldiers along the road north to the Giant’s
Dike, spent a day surveying the fortifications
with a pair of Long Scouts, and then returned home.
         Egland smiled as he remembered those few
days.  The few forays he’d led about the Valley
in the last year had invariably been to the
south.  Seeing the huge trees of Glen Avery had
been something he’d never forget.  But he was
most impressed by standing on what remained of
the Giant’s Dike and staring across the vast
expanse to the north that was the
Giantdowns.  Meredith the Long Scout who’d been
there had pointed out hundreds of features he
couldn’t remember, but one thing that stuck in
his mind was that if one travelled far enough
north even the trees would disappear.  Egland
knew what a land with only grass and rocks looked
like, but to imagine that it could be cold all
the time was hard for him to fathom.
         His ears turned when the familiar voice
of the rat sitting to Alberta’s left carried
across the tables.  Sir Saulius stood in his
chair, his long tail curling around the chair’s
arm as he waved for attention.  After a few more
raucous laughs from the other tables, all eyes
and ears turned to hear the rat speak.
         Sir Saulius’s whiskers twitched in
pleasure and he held one paw in a fist over his
middle. “My fellow knights, I hath a sad tale to
tell thee.  Most of thee dost know of the valiant
struggle my squire, Charles Matthias, hast
undertaken.” Egland and others nodded.  Of
course, judging by the way the Long Scouts
talked, the elk wondered if his friend was
deluding himself when he called Charles his
squire.  It was true that Charles had been his
squire during the last two Summer jousts — and
shared the victory with Saulius — but was there
any sign that the former writer was going to
become a knight himself?  Egland was not alone in
doubting it, but he would never hurt his friend’s feelings by saying so.
         Saulius lifted his snout a little higher
so his voice would carry better. “Six months ago
he and his companions didst leave to conquer a
great evil in lands far to the south.  He alone
amongst the Keepers hath a family that he didst
leave behind.  His wife, the Lady Kimberly, and
five newborn children, Charles, Bernadette,
Erick,” this last said with only the faintest
hint of pride, “Baerle, and Ladero.  All art rats
like my squire and myself.  Strong of spirit and
body.  But...” His whiskers drooped and his fire
seemed to fade. “But almost two months ago the
youngest, who didst barely survive his birth,
Ladero, wast taken from the Lady Kimberly by a most foul sickness.”
         There were several shocked cries, but
many more lowered their heads in sorrow.  It was
clear that many had already heard this news, and
Egland was one of them.  He knew Charles mostly
from reputation.  The only times he’d seen the
rat had been at his trial and during the
joust.  He knew Lady Kimberly and her children
only because Saulius had mentioned them — boasted really.
         Still, that even one of the children had
died while their father was away was enough cause
for sorrow.  Egland had lost a brother and sister
to sickness while still infants, and he knew
almost no one who couldn’t say the same.  That only made the pain more real.
         Saulius took a deep breath and
continued. “‘Tis my desire that we knights do
something for my squire’s family.  They dost live
in Glen Avery, a beautiful village of trees and
burrows.  I hath greatly enjoyed my stays there
whilst training Charles.  Yet we must stable our
ponies at the Inn.  ‘Tis a fine stable, but they
dost need a place of their own to care and tend
their steeds.  I propose that we dost build them
a stable.  Charles hath a pony already in
Malincon who dearly misses him, but a noble steed
we shalt need for the Lady Kimberly.  My fellow
rats hath provided the funds to pay for the
building of the stable, but I ask thee, my fellow
knights, to aid me in building it and finding a pony for my squire’s lady.”
         There were several cheers at the notion
and several volunteers to help with the
construction.  One of the women knights stood and
asked, “When would we build them a stable, Sir
Saulius?  Winter has just descended.”
         “We shalt manage come the new year,” Saulius replied with conviction.
         Alberta rose and smiled, “I wilt come to thy aid, Sir Saulius.”
         “Your husband might have something to
say about that!” somebody shouted.
         The Steppelands donkey let her ears rise
to their full height. “And he shalt say, ‘Carry
on, my dear.’” Several more laughed.  Alberta
rested one hand on the rat’s shoulder. “Thy
squire and his family shalt receive thy gift,
ne’er fear.  And we shalt find a pony for his lady too.”
         Saulius beamed and stood a little
taller. “Thank you, Dame Artelanoth!  Thou hast answered my prayers.”
         “She’s an answer to all our prayers,”
Egland said softly and knew it to be true.  The
wedding between her and Duke Thomas would heal
more wounds than even he knew of.  Truly, there
could be no happier time for the Valley.
         Together, the knights laughed, cheered,
and feasted.  It was a good time to be a Metamorian!

----------

         Father Hough always loved the Season of
Advent.  The Cathedral was decorated with bright
purple cloths and flowers from the greenhouse
were arranged about the base of the Holy
Family.  And a makeshift manger scene was
arranged in the narthex where all of the roles
including the animals would be assumed by Keepers
during the Vigil only three nights hence.
         But otherwise they kept the sanctuary
bare to emphasize that it was a time of
expectation.  There were difficulties to face
first before the true joy of the birth of Eli’s
Son could be realized.  It was a time of
reflection for Followers, when they would
scrutinize their hearts to determine how ready
they were for the coming of their Saviour.  Were
they angry with a neighbour?  Was there a debt
they owed?  Had they some sinful habit they
wished to be rid of?  All these and more were
questions that Father Hough wanted his flock to
keep in mind as the day of the Nativity drew near.
         Though a momentous occasion, the Duke’s
wedding was one that would not touch the
Cathedral.  There had been talk early on about
having both Lothanasa Raven and he performing a
joint ceremony.  The reason was obvious, Thomas
was a Lothanasi and Alberta a Follower.  However,
before Father Hough could consecrate their
marriage he’d made it clear to the Duke that they
would need to promise to raise their children in
the Follower faith, something Thomas was not
prepared to do.  And so, without recrimination,
the idea had been dropped and the service would
be blessed solely by the Lightbringer.
         Father Hough lifted his eyes to the
monstrance and gazed at the Host within.  The
gold-plated reliquary was shaped like a cross
with the sun behind.  The rays of the sun
stretched out like the branches of the yew
stripped of their leaves.  And in the centre kept
safe between two small panes of glass was the
Host.  Once a thin wafer of bread, now
consecrated it was the Body of Yahshua given to
them for their food and adoration.
         Hough turned and took the censer from
the acolyte kneeling dutifully at his side.  With
carefully proscribed motions, he incensed the
monstrance. The fragrant smoke formed a halo
around the reliquary.  Hough could hear the
murmured prayers of the faithful who’d come to
adore the Host and he smiled to himself.  There
was nothing more beautiful in the Follower faith
than people come to spend time with their Saviour in prayer.
         When he finished, he handed the censer
back to the acolyte, knelt, made the sign of the
yew, and then processed down the aisle.  The
acolyte followed him, while the two dozen
faithful in the pews remained kneeling.  They
would come and go through the afternoon and
evening.  Each would spend at least an hour in
prayer just as their Lord had asked St. Kephas to
do in the Garden of Sorrows.  St. Kephas and the
other disciples had failed then, but Followers did not fail now.
         Hough thanked the acolyte, a young boy
who was about Hough’s apparent age.  The Curses
would touch him sometime next year and the boy
was plainly excited about what he might
become.  How many yong ones had Hough counselled
through their changes now?  The Follower
population at the Keep was small, but there had
to have been a few dozen at least.  Only last
week he’d given advice to Cassius the polar bear
soldier on how to help his daughter adjust to always being thirteen years old.
         For Hough, the advice was always
poignant.  He’d at least had an opportunity to be
a man before Metamor had made him forever a
child.  It seemed so long ago now, and he’d long
since adjusted to being his new age and
height.  It still let him tend to his priestly
duties without trouble, but he did like to play
games with the other children from time to
time.  And his hours spent romping with Madog
were always such a treat.  Just the thought of
the mechanical fox brought an impish grin to his cheeks.
         Perhaps after tending to his homilies
he’d try to find his metal friend.  He gave his
acolyte a blessing before dismissing him then
took the corridor to his private chambers.  He
slipped out of the ornamental dalmatic and hung
it from a hook on the wall.  His small room was
pleasant with a fire crackling in the hearth.
         Hough tensed briefly.  He hadn’t started
a fire.  A shape lurked nearby, man-size, though
beastly.  Hough saw the figure’s tail in the
shadow thrown against the far wall. Regaining his
composure, he asked “May I help you?”
         “Father Hough,” a familiar voice
replied. “I need to speak with you
privately.  What I have to say will not be easy to hear.”
         Hough knew the voice, but until he
stepped around the two chairs next to the fire
and saw the white-clad raccoon he hadn’t been
able to conjure the name.  He glimpsed the green
eyes set within a dark mask surrounded by grey
fur and felt his heart leap in his chest. “Your grace!  You’ve returned!”
         The raccoon held up a paw and shook his
head. “Father, please sit down.  I have returned, but not as you once knew me.”
         Hough frowned.  Vinsah’s voice was
strained and their was a hard look to his
eye.  What had happened to him on his
journey?  And why was he dressed in that white
smock?  It looked like those worn by Lothanasi acolytes.
         Still, the young priest sat down, and
the raccoon sat opposite him.  He stirred the
fire with an iron poker and sighed. “It was cold
in your room.  I started the fire for you.  I hope you don’t mind.”
         “No, not at all.  What is wrong, your grace?”
         Vinsah tensed, his jowls drawing back to
reveal his many sharp fangs. “You may not call me
that anymore, Father.  I am no longer a Bishop.”
         Hough felt as if he’d been slapped. “What?  How did this happen?”
         The raccoon set the poker aside and
sighed.  His eyes gazed into the fire and he
watched the sparks dance and swirl. “It seems
that Patriarch Akabaieth’s enemies were more
numerous than we thought.  Even the one I thought
to be an ally proved traitorous.  There are many
there in Yesulam who have allied with the very
men who killed Patriarch Akabaieth.”
         Despite the fire, Hough went cold.  He
trembled and pulled his hands to his face. “How
could this be?  He was such a holy priest!”
         The raccoon sighed and shook his head.
“The Questioners who came here were part of a
group trying to unearth those involved.  They
saved my life and smuggled me out of Yesulam
after my disastrous appearance before the
Council.” He closed his eyes and let his chin
fall to his chest. “They are the only ones I know can be trusted anymore.”
         “The Questioners?” Hough asked, his
disbelief increasing by the minute.  He had
always been a simple priest far from the centres
of power.  And he’d always known the rosy picture
he had of Yesulam and of the various Bishops was
too kind to be true.  Yet how could he believe
what he was hearing now?  It was too vile to be
true! “But they terrorized many Keepers while
they were here!  How can you say that they are the only ones to be trusted?”
         “Because it is the truth.  They are not
the same people they were when they came
here.  They saved my life.  One of them even
stayed in my place.  I hope that he survived.”
         Hough blinked as he suddenly recalled a
rumour that had spread three months ago of a
mysterious stranger brought to Coe’s by Madog
himself.  Hough hadn’t been privy to the secret,
though he had heard that Misha himself set a
guard on him to keep him safe.  Though it seemed
fantastic at the time, rumour said that it was
one of the Questioners come back to the Keep.  Hough hadn’t believed it then.
         Now he did.  He lowered his face to his
hands and shook. “He was here.  Madog brought him
to Metamor.  They kept it a secret but Misha
knows.  What little I heard of it was that he was
saved and sent back where he came from.”
         The raccoon let out a long breath.
“There is that at least.  Father, I haven’t told
you what will truly pain you.  Not only was I
stripped of my position as Bishop, but I was also
excommunicated by the Patriarch.”
         Hough sat for several moments with his
mouth agape.  Excommunicated?  Vinsah?  This was
too much! “No!  I will send a petition for your
immediate reinstatement.  You cannot be
excommunicated!  I have never before heard of
such a gross injustice!  We all thought you would be the new Patriarch.”
         “Many did, but that is gone now.  I have
been cast out of the Ecclesia.  Believe me, it
pains me to speak of it and it has been three
months since that hideous day.  For almost a
month I could do nothing but weep.  But, I found
solace in Patriarch Akabaieth’s journals and also
a new direction.  You may have wondered at my
clothes, Father, but I am now pledged to serve in
the Lothanasi temple as one of her acolytes.”
         Hough blinked absently and opened and
shut his mouth several times.  His heart was so
weary that it did not even tremble at this latest
revelation. “The Lothanasi?  Why?  Your
excommunication will never be lifted if you do that!”
         “It is where I believe I was meant to
be,” the raccoon replied with a note of sadness.
“Patriarch Akabaieth in his journals wrote of it,
and of his desire to see greater unity between
our peoples.  I may be the only one ever to do
so, but I will fulfill his wishes.  I have
already spoken with Lothanasa Raven hin’Elric and
she has agreed to let me serve.  I take my vows tonight.”
         Hough felt the world spinning out of
control. “But the Lothanasi!  They deny
Yahshua!  Why not join one of the Rebuilder
groups?  They still worship Yahshua even if outside His Ecclesia.”
         The raccoon sneered. “The
Rebuilders?  They are nothing but thieves and
vandals!  They stole the Canticles and tore out
the parts they didn’t like!  They burn our altars
and kill our priests.  They tore Yahshua down
from His yew because they couldn’t stand the
sight of Him!  And they have the gall to accuse
the Ecclesia of breaking Eli’s Word!  They who
claim to love Yahshua but call Him a liar!  I
want their heresy to end and unity to be restored
to the Followers.  I will never join fellowship
with those who deface our Lord.  You should be
ashamed for even suggesting it, Father!”
         Hough flinched as this man who’d once
been a kind Bishop bared the fangs of a
beast.  Tears stood in his eyes and one ran down
his cheek. “But, Vinsah!  If you go to the
Lothanasi you will make many Followers here think
they have the truth.  We love you and will protect you from your enemies.”
         The raccoon settled back in his seat,
his manner coming under control.  He took several
deep breaths and shook his head. “I had
considered that.  But I have been
excommunicated.  How can I point out the error of
the Rebuilder or even the lapsed Follower if I do
not adhere to the Ecclesia’s commands?  To hide
here with you would be to make a mockery of my faith.”
         “And joining the Lothanasi won’t?”
         “I know it isn’t easy to understand,” he
continued, “but it does not.  I am not
compromising my faith in Eli and His Son.  I am
being obedient to them.  I believe the Pantheon
exists and that they ultimately serve Eli
too.  Service to them can be good too.  Patriarch
Akabaieth saw that, and I believe it.  It is why
I am doing what I am doing.  But I know that not
all will see it that way.  It’s why I’m here,
Father.  I needed to tell you so that I might
warn you.  Lothanasa Raven has agreed to keep my
service secret for as long as she can.    You
will have time to decide how best to explain this
to the Followers.  I do not want to see any of
them leave the Ecclesia on my account.  And to
aid you in this I am going to give you Patriarch Akabaieth’s journals.”
         Hough swallowed and rubbed his eyes
clear of the tears.  The words hurt too much for
his childish emotions to grasp.  He felt like a
boy being told by his parents that they were
giving him away.  Still, he forced himself to say, “Journals?”
         “Yes, Patriarch Akabaieth’s
journals.  They cover a very long period of his
life.  Tomorrow go visit the Deaf Mule and ask
after a guest named Elsevier of Silvassa.  He
will know you are coming and he will give you a
locked chest.  I have placed the key on your
mantle.  Please keep them safe.  It is all that
is left of Patriarch Akabaieth’s legacy.”
         “What...” Hough stammered for several
seconds before gaining control over his
voice.  He blinked the tears from his eyes. “What should I do with them?”
         “Keep them hidden.  Once you read them
you’ll know why.  The Ecclesia isn’t ready for
them yet.  I know that these are merely his
opinions and they will not lead to great reforms,
nor should many of the things he said be
done.  But if they come to light now his good
name will suffer further calumny.  Let it fall on
my head.  I will bear it.  Not him.”
         Hough sniffled but managed to nod his
head. “I will do it.  And I will pray for you, Vinsah.”
         The raccoon took another deep breath and
lowered his eyes.  He suddenly sounded very
tired. “Thank you, Father.  But please do not
call me Vinsah.  It is not my name anymore.  My name is Elvmere.”
         “Elvmere?” Hough blinked, the tears finally abated. “But why?”
         The raccoon looked past him, almost
wistful. “It came to me in a dream, Father.  And
it feels right to me in a way that Vinsah and
everything else never has.”  He lowered his eyes
and stood.  His tail tucked behind his legs and
he folded his paws before him. “I must return to
the temple, Father.  Thank you for your
prayers.  It will be a very long time before I
leave the temple again, so I want you to know
that I believe your prayers will do more for me
than anything else I can ask.  We must be
patient.  Eli’s will shall be done, and Patriarch
Akabaieth’s murderers will know His justice.”
         Hough struggled out of his seat and
lifted one hand to grab Elvmere’s sleeve. “I will
not stop praying until your excommunication has been lifted.”
         The edges of Elvmere’s jowls twitched as
if trying to smile. “Thank you.  You may be praying for a very long time.”
         “It will be worth it.”
         “Good night, Father,” Elvmere said.  He
turned and stepped to the far door. “Pray that I may not fall into error.”
         “I will do that as well,” Hough replied.
“Good night, Vi... Elvmere.”  The raccoon smiled
faintly and was gone.  Hough crumpled back in the
seat and bawled his misery into the chair’s arm.

----------

         “And we have almost two-hundred
soldiers, scouts, and knights patrolling the
northern woods,” the lizard man said.  Copernicus
was dressed in his court attire of blue doublet
and hose with accommodations made for his tail
which was as thick as his legs.  A third sleeve
covered the first half with open lacing along the
top.  This tail protruded from the back of his
chair as he sat next to Duke Thomas with maps
spread across the table.  On the Duke’s other
side was the bat Andwyn, master of the Keep’s spies.
         “Have you found anything?” Thomas asked
impatiently.  With so many of his chief scouts
and soldiers on patrol, the duty to bring him
reports was left with his attaché
Copernicus.  Although the lizard was very capable
in managing these affairs, he was not as seasoned
as those like Misha, Jack, or George.  Unlike
them, Copernicus’s reptilian body prevented him
from participating in patrols during the
winter.  So naturally the task of coordinating
all the information fell to him and to Andwyn.
         Of course Andwyn was more interested in
scrutinizing the retinue of Thomas’s vassals for
possible assassins.  Thomas didn’t blame him.  So
long as he remained without a true heir one of
his vassals could aspire to succeed him.  It was
true that he had adopted Malisa to guard against
such treachery, but even she acknowledged that it
were better for Thomas to have children of his
own than for her to take the throne.
         Thomas was inclined to trust his
vassals.  In the last year they had shown
themselves more willing to beckon to his call,
even those living south of the Curse.  He knew he
could rely on those cursed because they had
nowhere else to turn, but the rest had long been
a question mark in his reign.  But now he felt things were changing.
         But Andwyn wasn’t convinced.
         Copernicus spread his long, supple
fingers across the map and gestured to several
places in the far north of the valley. “We
encountered a Lutin encampment here.  They fled
as soon as we approached, but we did take a few
prisoner.  Turns out there are massive storms in
the north and they’d fled south to escape the
worst of it.  Misha is convinced they didn’t know anything so he let them go.”
         “He let them go?” Thomas asked in surprise. “Did he say why?”
         “They didn’t try to attack,” Copernicus
replied with a shrug. “And he said there were
women and children there too.  He believed them.”
         Andwyn twitched his wings and nose
unhappily, but Thomas nodded his head in
satisfaction. “What else have you found?”
         “Glen scouts found a few trappers from
Starven lurking around Mount Nuln.  Soldiers
thought they saw ghosts north of Mycransburg, but
that forest has always been haunted.  You
remember when Misha found that spectral fox there last year.”
         Thomas shook his head. “Not
truly.  Misha finds many things in the wood he takes a fancy too.”
         Copernicus chuckled and slapped the end
of his tail on the thick carpeting. “Very
true.  There have been a few other minor
incidents.  Two squads stalked each other for
several hours before they realized the
truth.  We’ve had a few soldiers manage to injure
themselves, cuts, bruises.  One slipped on the
ice and broke their leg, but they’re recovering
now.  Misha and George both think the northern
forests are clear and I agree with them.”
         “Good,” Thomas said.  He studied the map
for several seconds and took a deep breath. “And
the Long Scouts have found no activity of another invasion from the north?”
         “Apart from the few stragglers, no.”
         The bat stretched his wings and added,
“Nasoj has not been able to reconstitute his
strength.  It seems our hopes that the Lutin
tribes would abandon him has come to
fruition.  Neither he nor his forces have
ventured beyond Nasojassa in the last three
months.  There is no threat from the north.”
         “Then what of the south?”
         Copernicus shifted the maps and ran his
fingers along the north-south roads. “We have
patrols marching along the roads to Midtown and
Menth.  The watchtowers at the Curse’s end have
twice as many manning them.  I’ve also stationed
three squads at the fork, one to inspect
travellers, and the other to lie in wait in case
they prove hostile.  No one has yet.  We also
have troops in all the southern villages, Jetta,
Shipford, Brackwood, and the rest.”
         “What of the forests?”
         The lizard’s large mouth cracked in his
closest facsimile to a smile. “Patrols turn up
even less there than they do in the north.”
         “Then I am satisfied the patrols are
doing their jobs.” Thomas drew a line across the
northern valley halfway between the Keep and the
Dike. “Cut back half the patrols north of the
Glen.  If any one is going to strike they will
want to stay close.  Move those soldiers back to
the Keep.  I want them to help the Watch.  Let’s
keep the streets clear and quiet.  Malisa tells
me that they’ve almost filled the dungeon with
brawlers and thieves.  She’s resorted to
arranging stocks off the main thoroughfares for the rest.”
         Copernicus chuckled again. “I saw some
of those this morning.  I don’t think I’ve seen a
more miserable group than they.  They’re lucky
it’s been a mild winter so far.  And that they have thick coats of fur.”
         “I’ve told Malisa to make sure that they
burn fires at night near the stocks.  Just seeing
them and the soldiers should discourage folk.”
Thomas glanced at the southern end of the valley.
“Thalberg says that most of the visitors are
coming from the south.  Keep what troops we have
stationed in the south.  If there is any threat,
that’s where it will come from.  Speaking of
which, what news have you to report Andwyn?”
         The bat folded his wings around his
chest and narrowed his red eyes. “Very little,
your grace.  Your vassals are nearly all here and
ensconced in private suites that my spies keep
constant watch over.  Only Lord Calephas of
Giftum has yet to arrive, and my spies report he
will be here tomorrow.  At present no one in
their retinue has acted suspiciously, nor is
their presence surprising.  However, if my
information is correct, Prime Minister Malisa
will be bringing very shortly to your attention
an unexpected visitor from Pyralis.”
         Thomas blinked as his ears shot up. “From Pyralis?  How soon?”
         Somebody knocked at the door and the bat
grinned. “That will be her now.”
         While Copernicus chuckled and Thomas
glared at the bat, one of the pages saw to the
door and ushered Malisa inside.  She was dressed
in comfortable blue clothing the colour of the
Hassan house with a pendant bearing the crest of
Metamor draped around her neck.  Her face was
harried, but there was also a cast of unexpected
pleasure, as if she’d received a gift from a friend she’d forgotten about.
         “Your grace,” Malisa said with a quick
bow.  She could barely contain her enthusiasm. “I
have just treated with Kurt Schanalein, the son
of Duke Friedrich Schanalein of Breckaris.  He
has come with news of Habakkuk, Charles and the rest.”
         Duke Thomas jumped to his hooves in
surprise.  Andwyn stared gape-mouthed at Malisa.
The smug expression he’d bore at Malisa’s
entrance was completely gone. “News of Habakkuk
and Charles?” Thomas blurted. “Then he is a most welcome guest!  Where is he?”
         “I had Thalberg place him and his
attendants in one of the guest suites.  Thalberg
had been complaining that there was one more than
necessary for your vassals.  It seems Kyia
anticipated even this.” Malisa shook her head in
astonishment. “I’ll have him brought here if you wish.”
         “Please do,” Thomas replied. “And have
Thalberg bring his men plenty of food and
drink.  See to it that there are places at my
wedding for them if they wish to attend.”
         Malisa nodded and left with a jump in
her step.  Andwyn tapped the ends of his wigs
together and muttered, “Is it so wise to treat
them so well?  We do not even know what they are
going to say.  Could he not use the promise of
news of Habakkuk, Charles, and the rest to entice you to lower your guard?”
         “But how would they know?” Copernicus
asked. “I didn’t even know where they went for a
month, and I’m one of the few here at Metamor who
ought to know.  The only way they’d know of them
in Breckaris is if they’d passed through the
city.  It is one way to reach Marzac.”
         “I think Copernicus is right,” Thomas
said, flesh trembling with excitement. “It’s been
nearly six months since they left.  I want to
hear whatever news this Kurt Schanalein has for
us.  Copernicus, please stay and listen.  You can
take whatever news we hear to the Long Scouts.  They’ll tell the right people.”
         Both Andwyn and Copernicus nodded while
Thomas reclaimed his seat.  The pages brought
another pair of seats for Malisa and their guest,
while Copernicus cleared the table of maps.  By
the time he returned to his seat, Malisa knocked again at the door.
         At Malisa’s side was a young man of
perhaps sixteen years of age.  He had curly dark
hair and a somewhat olive skin tone.  He dressed
in a deep green uniform bearing the marks of an
officer.  For the son of an important Duke in
Pyralis, he dressed very humbly.  Thomas liked
him already and he had done nothing more than
walk in the room.  He didn’t even stare at the
three animal men like most who’d never been to Metamor before do.
         Malisa stood to one side and gestured to
the lad. “May I present, Kurt Schanalein, heir to
Duke Friedrich Schanalein of Breckaris.”
         Kurt lowered to one knee. “I bring you
greetings from my father, your grace.  He sends
his congratulations and warmest wishes to you at
the news of your engagement to be married.  He
also sends his fondest thanks to you and your
people for the aid given to him and his land by
your subjects this October.  I came personally
because the debt of our gratitude, and especially
mine, cannot be measured.  I am your humble servant, your grace.”
         “Come sit with me, lad,” Thomas said
with an almost fatherly affection for the boy.
“You do your family proud.  I have never had the
honour of dealings with your family, but I am
grateful for them now.  Come, eat, and tell me of
my subjects.  My Prime Minister tells me that
they passed through Breckaris and that you have news of them.”
         Kurt rose and joined them at the
table.  A still human page brought a platter of
fresh bread and cheese.  Kurt thanked him with a
smile and a nod and then lowered his eyes to
quietly offer a word of blessing over the
food.  When he lifted them he stared at the
Keepers one by one. “Thank you for your
hospitality your grace.  I am so grateful for the
chance to see your beautiful land.  I have not
seen snow in several years, yet Prime Minister
Malisa tells me that it is a mild winter you have now.”
         “This time last year we suffered a
terrible blizzard.  Our enemies to the north
attacked during it and many lives were lost.  We
are more grateful than you know for a mild
winter.” Thomas paused while Kurt ate a bit of
bread. “You are welcome to stay with us as long
as you wish, but I caution you to leave after the
wedding.  If you stay too long you might look as we do.”
         “That was my intent,” Kurt replied after
swallowing. “My father wants me to discuss the
possibility of opening diplomatic relations with your land as well.”
         Malisa smiled fondly to him. “We can
discuss that later.  For now we want to hear your news.”
         Kurt nodded. “Of course.” He glanced at
the other two and smiled.  He turned to the
lizard first. “You are Copernicus, yes?  And you are Andwyn?”
         “That is right,” the lizard replied. “Do we intimidate you?”
         Kurt shook his head. “After seeing what du Tournemire did, no.”
         All of them stiffened. “What do you know
of the Marquis du Tournemire?” Thomas asked.
         “Nine months ago he used his deck of
cards to take control of my father.  I was forced
to join the army to keep me out of their way.”
Kurt took a quick bite of cheese and puckered his
lips at the unfamiliar taste.  He took a second
bite and then sipped the wine set beside him.
“That was quite good.  My compliments.” He took a
breath and then noted how anxiously the Keepers
waited. “It is a long story, but only two months
ago your subjects were captured by our
armies.  Only Jessica the hawk escaped.  I
watched as du Tournemire tortured them that
night.  He then left for Marzac with the black
Sondecki.  He left the Runecaster Agathe in
charge.  I, along with a friend, met up with
Jessica, broke Charles, James, and the rest out
of the dungeon and we rescued my father.  We then
assaulted the tower Agathe had hidden herself in and killed her.”
         “The Runecaster is dead?” Malisa said in
awe. “Then Charles is flesh again?”
         Kurt nodded. “He changed back into flesh
right in front of my eyes.  And they’re all
well.  Not a one of them has died or taken
serious injury during their journey.  They set
sail for Marzac the same day I left for
Metamor.  My father put them on our fastest
ship.  I do not know what has become of them
since, but when I saw them last they were well and in good spirits.”
         Thomas breathed a sigh of relief. “This
is very good news, Kurt.  Thank you for making
this journey.  For your part in aiding them, you
have earned the gratitude of all Metamor.  I will
see to it that a place of honour is granted to you at the wedding banquet.”
         “Thank you, your grace,” Kurt said with
a broad smile.  He rolled the bread around his
fingers. “There is one more matter I wished to
bring to your attention.” Thomas gestured for him
to continue.  Kurt sucked in his breath to gather
his courage. “ In my company came a small group
of Follower nuns as well as the woman who aided
me and your subjects.  They seek to form a nunnery here in your lands.”
         “A nunnery?” Thomas asked in surprise.
         Copernicus grinned. “I’m rather fond of
the idea.  They could be a good influence and
serve everyone’s needs. I’ve heard about the
hospitals they’ve set up in the south.  It would help relieve Master Coe.”
         “You’re a Follower,” Malisa pointed out.
         The lizard shrugged. “Doesn’t mean it isn’t a good idea.”
         Kurt licked his lips. “They do have
permission from the Bishop, or from the Bishop’s
second.  The Bishop was indisposed when he went
to see him on our way.  And they are willing to
face what the Curse will do to them.”
         “They may not be nuns for very long,”
Malisa pointed out. “Why do they want to do this?”
         “Because of Tugal,” Kurt said with a
shade of reluctance. “When Charles, Jessica and
the rest left Metamor, they were hunted by Agathe
and a group of barbarians from the
Giantdowns.  Tugal was one of them, but the Curse
made her a woman.  The other barbarians raped her
repeatedly.  After our friends escaped, Agathe
took her to Breckaris and had her placed in a
whorehouse.  When I found out where she’d been
placed, I freed her and brought her to the nuns
in Breckaris.  They tended her, told her of
Yahshua, and showed her that there is a life
outside of cruelty.  When we assaulted Agathe a
spell struck her in the side.  She’s not been able to walk since.”
         Malisa, who looked ready to jump from
her seat, rush down the hall, and find Tugal to
hug her tight, suggested, “We have many healers here that can help her.”
         “The wound is a magical one.  Jessica
said that it couldn’t be healed like that.”
         “So why did she risk coming all the way
here?” Copernicus asked.  The lizard shifted in
his seat, long tail sweeping over the
carpet.  Kurt watched it for several seconds before turning back to the Duke.
         “Because she’s hated Metamor all her
life.  All she was taught to do was to try and
kill Keepers.  She wants to spend the rest of her
life serving them, and the sisters have shown her a way she can do that.”
         Thomas glanced at Malisa.  It was clear
from her expression that she was leaning toward
allowing this.  He tapped his thumbs together and
nodded to Kurt. “Tell Tugal and the other sisters
that I will meet with them and with Father Hough
that we might discuss possible dispositions for
them.  I am not promising them that they can
build a nunnery here in Metamor, but we will see what can be arranged.”
         Kurt bowed his head gratefully. “Thank
you, your grace!  They will be delighted to hear it.”
         Thomas nodded and set his hands on the
table, tapping the thick hoof-like nails against
the wood. “Now, Kurt, if there is nothing else, I
want you to tell me more of Charles, Jessica,
Habakkuk and the rest.  I want to know everything
that’s happened.  Afterward, Copernicus can give
you and the sisters a tour of Metamor Keep.  But
you are not leaving here until we know more about
our friends.” Thomas lowered his snout and gave
the young man a deep equine stare.  Kurt stared
back into his large brown eyes and began to smile.
         “Of course, your grace.  I’ll tell you as best I can.”
         “That’s all we can ask of anyone, Kurt.  Now, tell us of our friends.”
         “Well,” Kurt began, “the first I saw of
them was in the forest.  Our army was waiting for
them, and they rode in on the most beautiful golden horses...”

----------

         “I swear my service to the Lothanasi of
Metamor, and pledge my obedience to Lothanasa
Raven hin’Elric and to the gods who guard and
shelter their people.” The words reverberated in
the raccoon’s ears long after he lay down to
sleep amongst the other acolytes.  Most were
children, that is, men who like Father Hough, had
been cursed to be as children, but there were a
few older infirm men who’d once been women and a
pair of animal men that all slept together in the men’s chambers.
         They had no beds only sleeping pallets,
but after so many months on the road and in the
hold of tossing ships, this felt like an
indulgent comfort.  All around him he heard the
soft whispers of sleep in the darkened
chamber.  His ears twitched uncertainly at the
sound of the bear’s loud rumbling as he
slept.  What had he said his name
was?  Christopher?  Elvmere would learn all their names in time.
         He rolled onto his back and closed his
eyes, tail caught between his legs, blanket
pulled up to his chin to keep him warm.  With so
many bodies, the chamber, even in the cold of
winter, seemed to have a warmth of its own, but
with the fire dwindling away, the first touches
of cold crept over his snout and around every bit
of him exposed.  Yet the elements remained only
an afterthought as his mind made its descent into sleep.
         This day he had offered his vows to the
Lothanasi.  What had begun with Patriarch
Geshter’s excommunication had now been completed
by his own tongue.  He was no longer a Follower —
Patildor, rather — but a Lothanasi.  He also
dwelt on his conversation with Hough.  The priest
hadn’t taken it well, but Elvmere hadn’t expected
him too.  Hopefully in time he’d read through
Akabaieth’s journals and understand.
         After making his vows, he’d felt a
thrill that had carried him through the last
hours of the day.  Raven had allowed Nylene to
observe, and for that he was grateful.  Her smile
was the only true smile he’d seen all day.  The
unease Raven had with him, and Merai’s obvious
hurt, had transferred to many of the other
acolytes.  Though Celine had done her part in
introducing him to many, they were by and large
uncertain even though not a one of them knew him
from his previous life.  But for all that, he’d
been too excited to let that trouble him.  In time this too would change.
         But what would tomorrow bring?  Celine
had said something about tending the birds and of
writing, but he did not know what either would entail.  He would do them.
         The sounds of snores faded with
time.  Even the sensation of cold slipped beyond
his awareness and into the fog of that moment
when a man passes from wakefulness to
sleep.  Elvmere, now again a sleeper, rested in a
comfortable warmth that wrapped him in its
arms.  But with dawning awareness, those arms
took on a more intimate form, and Elvmere noted
colour and definition entering into his dream.
         Where before had been darkness now lay a
beautiful garden.  It reminded him of the gardens
outside the Keep’s walls in late Spring, full of
rich blossoms that radiated every colour and cast
about a bouquet of fragrances all tantalizing to
his senses.  The arms remained about him, and he
turned to find their source.  A heavenly face
gazed down at him, a woman with dark hair dressed
in white robes laced with silver who held him
close.  His Lady!  Gone so long from his dreams
but for whispers and hints, and here now she is again.
         “My Lady!” he cried, throwing himself
further into her arms like the simple beast he was.
         She stroked the fur on the back of his
head with one gentle hand and spoke so simply and
full of love that he felt his heart exult. “My Elvmere.  Welcome home.”
         “You...” he said through the tears
standing in his eyes, “you brought me here?”
         “You have always been mine to
protect.  Let all your weariness go, my
Elvmere.  You are safe with me.  You must be
strong for all that is yet to come.”
         He gazed into her face, trembling. “Will I always have you?”
         She smiled and stroked back his fur.
“You are with me now, my Elvmere.” And then she
pulled him close and he could think of nothing
more to say.  The raccoon smiled and curled up
tight to his Lady, over-joyed to be with her
again after so many long months.  Yes, he truly was home.