[Mkguild] "Once More Within the Walls"

a_lil_dudeinpr2 at hotmail.com a_lil_dudeinpr2 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 01:19:51 EDT 2008

In a stunning turn of events, Vincent Lois is back!  And he's inside the Ke=
ep!

-LurkingWolf

Once More Within the Walls
By LurkingWolf

November the 21st, in the year 707, Cristos Reckoning

    The grass crunched, snapping rigidly beneath Lois=92 boots as he jumped=
 out of the wagon.  A thick coat was thrown about his shoulders, fashioned =
from the pelts of some unfortunate creatures that had strayed too near a hu=
nter=92s snare.  The patchwork coloration would almost blend into the woods=
 if he chose to hide among the trees, but it was used at the moment to reta=
in warmth.

    The man=92s breath misted as he quietly surveyed the camp around him.  =
Many men had risen early at the onset of the sudden chill, building fires w=
ithin the circular campsite they had erected.  Fog wrapped itself about the=
 campsite, muting the finer details of the surrounding area.  Lois made no =
move towards the sources of warmth, though, instead looking about, searchin=
g for a particular form.

    =93If you=92re looking for me, you=92re wasting you=92re time over ther=
e, Lois,=94 a voice sounded from behind him.  Lois turned to look at the ca=
ravan master.  The man was short and stocky, with a face worn and wrinkled =
from years of facing the elements.  He held a pipe twixt his fingers, playi=
ng with it as the curls of smoke rose from it.  He rested, leaning up again=
st the side of the wagon Lois had just left.

    =93I suppose that this is what you meant by the type of weather you hop=
ed we would avoid?=94 Lois commented.

    The man shrugged.  =93It=92s winter, you take what weather comes your w=
ay and you work with it or against it, depending on what you get.  You migh=
t hope to avoid it, but it will always do as it wishes, never asking your o=
pinion before doing so.=94

    =93Put quite bluntly then, yes, you had wished not to be here for a col=
d snap.=94

    =93It is unfortunate, but not at all surprising.  It=92s winter, and it=
 has been a surprise that the cold has not been here far sooner.  By what I=
 can tell, this cold is here to stay for now.=94  The caravan master quietl=
y blew a small cloud of smoke out into the air.  Why the man bothered to sm=
oke when he could easily blow puffs of steam without the cost of tobacco Lo=
is didn=92t know.

    =93I suppose that means that we=92ll be heading toward Metamor with all=
 haste,=94 Lois commented, surveying the camp once more.  =93It may take so=
 motivation to get these men moving, though.  You=92re sure they=92ve been =
this far north before?=94

    =93Lois, I hire not by whether I think they have been north for long, I=
 hire by whether they can handle themselves in the field, how much help the=
y are loading and unloading, how little they=92re willing to work for, and =
by how many summers they=92ve seen.=94  He blew another puff of smoke out o=
f his pipe.

    =93So, shall I rouse the troops then?=94 Lois asked.  =93It would appea=
r that they will need a bit of time to restore circulation to their legs cu=
rrently.  Best to start moving before they lose feeling entirely, is it not=
?=94

    =93Yes,=94 the caravan master said.  He put very little thought into it=
 at first, but then, standing straighter, he repeated.  =93Yes, we should s=
tart moving.  With the rain, there will be frozen puddles, perhaps not froz=
en enough.  Should we fall into one of those we will need time to get ourse=
lves out.=94

    =93There are other hazards,=94 Lois said.  Silently, he looked up.  The=
 man beside him did likewise, his gaze meeting the branches that bent low a=
bove him, stressed by the weight of the icicles that had formed on them.  =
=93These branches survived the night, but other, rotten or weak branches ma=
y have broken.=94

    The caravan master sighed.  =93Brilliant, it couldn=92t have been this =
blasted rain=92s equivalent in snow, could it?=94  He shook his head.  =93W=
ith snow there is significantly less in the way of possible pitfalls.  Well=
, we shall see what becomes of this.=94  He walked off towards the camp.  L=
ois watched him for a moment, then slowly moved as the man started to bello=
w out orders to the rest of the camp.  None were too enthusiastic about doi=
ng anything in the cold, and they moved only with the angry verbal encourag=
ement provided by the caravan master.  Lois quietly moved about, preparing =
his own belongings.  One way or another, he meant to part ways with this ca=
ravan by end of day.

    It took the better part of an hour to actually get things moving.  For =
the last half of this, Lois paced around the camp, staying conveniently out=
 of the sight of any of the higher ranking members of the caravan.  Though =
he was better prepared than most for this sort of weather, he still had no =
desire to do anything that he didn=92t need to.

    When the caravan started off, Lois kept his usual position riding besid=
e the lead wagon, watching quietly for any sign of raiders.  He didn=92t th=
ink they=92d see any, they were already pretty close to the Keep.  They wer=
e close enough that Lois regularly saw what he was reasonably sure was a Me=
tamor patrol.  He was never able to verify it, and what he saw was always g=
one before his eyes had an opportunity to focus.

    The caravan master, who rode in the lead wagon, copied Lois=92s silent =
vigil, but his eyes scanned the fog cloaked roads ahead where Lois watched =
the woods to the left.  The only sound that accompanied them was the horse=
=92s hooves crunching through the frostbitten grass.  The silence was eerie=
, the cold seeming to remove any desire to speak from the men.  Lois enjoye=
d this as much as he could while keeping watch.  He always had been rather =
partial to silence, and had never been too worried about cold, so having th=
e one at the price of having the other was not to bad a trade for him.

    One again, Lois caught sight of movement in the woods off to his left. =
 He made as if he had never noticed it, continuing his scan of the trees, b=
ut he could tell that the source had not left this time.  He could still se=
e the form of something, crouched low in the undergrowth.  As he scanned ba=
ck over the spot, he kept his eyes fixed on that spot while his head contin=
ued to move.  Then, seeing all his wished to see, he simply turned his gaze=
 onto the road, stopping his vigil on the forest.

    =93Lois,=94 the caravan master=92s voice broke him out of his reverie a=
 few moments later.  Lois turned and raised an eyebrow at the man, but rema=
ined silent.  =

    =93Keep watch on the woods, Lois, that=92s why we hired you,=94 the man=
 said, his own gaze on Lois sidelong and accompanied by a scowl.

    =93Trust me, sir, we need not worry.  Our escorts have arrived.=94

    The caravan master looked out into the woods silently, the back to Lois=
=92s face.  =93You saw a patrol, then?=94 he asked.

    Lois nodded, his mouth twitching into a small smile.  =93One patrol gro=
up to our left, at least three members, and obviously Keepers.  You might c=
onsider asking the right side guards if they have seen anything, but I beli=
eve that the majority are trying to catch up on lost sleep at the moment.=
=94

    The caravan master rolled his eyes.  =93Keep your watch anyways, Lois. =
 You=92re the only man so far that has proven to be worth his salt, and you=
=92ll be leaving us for heavens know what reason once we reach the Keep.  A=
t least if I fail to talk you out of it=85=94  He smiled at the thought of =
the private bet they had made that he would talk Lois out of his intentions=
.  =93I hope to at least make you earn your place here.=94

    =93Somehow, master Huron, I doubt that you=92ve had any trouble getting=
 your money=92s worth.  After all, you=92re not paying me for my work.=94

    =93Regardless, my wagons are loaded down by your equipment.  How one ma=
n could want so much to take with him on one caravan I=92ll never know,=94 =
Huron commented, once more focused on the road ahead.

    Lois considered reminding the caravan master of his intentions at the K=
eep, but he doubted that the man had any trouble remembering.  After all, h=
e had been rather flabbergasted by the request, and even went so far as to =
bet with a few of his guards that he would convince Lois to return with the=
m.  Still, Lois returned to his vigil, once more spotting the Metamor patro=
l.  They made little or no attempt to hide themselves from the caravan, but=
 still blended in well with their background, making them difficult to spot=
 and a nightmare to identify.  Still, with his years of experience, Lois co=
uld testify to the fact that one of the members of the group was not any of=
 the species he was familiar with, but seemed to rather accurately fit the =
description he=92d heard of some of the cursed Keepers.

    It did not take Lois long to have his attention drawn away from the for=
est.  This time, however, it was not idle musing that distracted his attent=
ion.  In the road ahead, standing and waving his arms, was a man dressed in=
 a plaid shirt.  He was well built, with large muscled arms and a broad che=
st, and a short brown beard that matched his hair.  The caravan master had =
the wagons stop, then called out as the man approached.

    =93Ho there!  What news?=94 he called to the man.

    =93You=92ll need to be stopping here, sirs,=94 the man said, his gruff =
voice resounding in the near dead silence about them.  =93The road ahead is=
 blocked.=94

    The caravan master muttered a few curses under his breath, then called =
back to the man.  =93Are you in need of any able bodied men to unblock it? =
 Our caravan could spare a few.=94

    =93Aye, we could use a few stout men.  We have a group on it already, b=
ut many hands make light work, so come ahead if you wish to hasten your pro=
gress.=94

    The caravan master nodded.  He stood up on the seat of the wagon and mo=
ved to where he could look back along the line of wagons.  =93You heard him=
 lads,=94 he bellowed back along the line.  =93If you want to get to shelte=
r faster, you=92d better come lend a hand with this.=94

    Of course, every man in the caravan wanted to get to shelter faster, bu=
t few wished to work to make such a thing happen.  Instead, the majority ju=
st sat on their horses, waiting, watching to see if anyone else would take =
the bait.  The caravan master left orders for someone to make a temporary c=
amp while they waited, then headed out himself.

    Lois needed no second invitation.  He was already started forward on hi=
s horse before the first other volunteer started forward.  He stopped besid=
e the man and turned his horse to watch quietly as the other volunteers beg=
an to make their lethargic passage towards them.  Lois smiled at the man be=
side him as he shifted in his saddle.

    =93How are things at the Keep, sir?=94 he asked quietly.

    The man regarded him quietly for a few moments before speaking.  =93Fai=
r.  Things are relatively quiet for the moment.  I hope they stay that way.=
=94  For a moment, he seemed to wish to continue, but stopped short.

    Seeing that the man would not be continuing, Lois nodded.  He also hope=
d for some quiet for a time, just so he could get used to the feel of life =
at the Keep for a while.  He had been in the Keep, true, but never in the s=
tate that it currently was in.  He had neither seen the Keep since the curs=
e, nor had he seen a Keeper clearly until this moment.  Even so, this man w=
as hardly one of the more noteworthy specimens of what the rest of the worl=
d envisioned when it heard of Metamor Keep.

    After a few minutes of waiting, the rest of the group who intended to a=
ssist in the venture had finally gathered, and the man led them back along =
the road.  It wasn=92t long until they had reached the site where the road =
had been blocked.  A large tree lay across the road, not completely blockin=
g the path, but cutting it off enough so that passage by wagon would be imp=
ossible.  The top of the tree had been cut off, some of the branches lying =
by the road.  The bottom of the tree was scarred and blackened, and, withou=
t much effort, Lois spotted a stump with similar damage to the side.  Alrea=
dy at work on the tree was a group of about five Keepers, two of which had =
fur, and all of which wore the plaid shirt as did the man who had warned th=
e caravan.

    =93Lightning strike?=94 Lois asked of the tree=92s ruin, more as a veri=
fication than a question.

    =93You think maybe?=94 the Keeper asked, giving Lois a strange smile.

    =93Perhaps,=94 Lois said.  =93Or maybe some mage of considerable power =
decided to practice on this particular tree at some point in the pouring ra=
in last night,=94 he added, glancing sideways at the man.  =93I think I=92l=
l guess the first.=94

    The small group of half-frozen volunteers was then introduced to the me=
n who were already at work trying to get the tree off of the road.  Two loo=
ked rather like normal humans, albeit slight over-proportioned, one seemed =
a bit too young for this sort of work, and the two others bore animalistic =
traits which masked their formerly human bodies.  One of them seemed part s=
quirrel, the other, part beaver, also bore fur coloration to match his ward=
robe.  =

    Although the men of the caravan had doubtless known what they would enc=
ounter at the Keep, the were still noticeably unprepared for the sight of t=
he furred Keepers, especially the beaver.  Lois, in contrast, made it a poi=
nt to do as he always did and treat them as though he stood to benefit from=
 their opinion of him.  After all, or all he knew, he could be neighbors to=
 one of the animalistic Keepers, perhaps, if all went as he hoped, becoming=
 one of them.

    No one was interested in wasting time, though this fact was for varied =
reasons depending on the person.  The Metamorian work crew had already star=
ted work on it, but the felled tree had been frozen in place after falling =
into the rain-soaked road.  The work team had driven a number of hooks into=
 the tree, and stout ropes had been tied to each of the hooks.  The ropes h=
ad all been tied at their opposite ends to a ring which attached them all t=
o a yoke of two horses that stood a little off the road.  No progress was b=
eing made, however, due to the ground=92s frosty hold on the log.

    =93The ground is frozen pretty deep around this thing,=94 commented the=
 lumberjack who had met them along the road.  =93We have plenty of tools, b=
ut we need more manpower to get this thing out.  We had originally intended=
 to just cut it up where it is, but we got nowhere; the ice still holds, an=
d it just takes longer.  It=92s a large tree, but the horses should be able=
 to handle it.  We figure that getting it out of the way all at the same ti=
me will be faster and more convenient at the current juncture.=94

    Lois nodded, and the rest of the volunteers made various shows of under=
standing.  =93So, let=92s get started,=94 Lois said without hesitation, and=
 much to the annoyance of some of the stiff-muscled volunteers.  =93I assum=
e that you have all of the tools necessary for this operation?=94

    The man nodded, and they had soon all been supplied with various tools =
meant for breaking through the ice.  All of the men soon had started workin=
g, spaced evenly so that they could hopefully get the log free at the same =
time.  Lois went at it with great enthusiasm, breaking the ice with the pic=
k he had been given and trying to clear the dirt out.  He knew that the moi=
sture in the sludge he had freed would quickly refreeze in the current temp=
erature, and so made sure to get it away from the log as quickly as possibl=
e.

    All of the workers worked quickly, but they were still only about halfw=
ay down the side of the log at the end of the hour.  The dirt was simply to=
o hard to clear with any speed.  The men frequently paused to drink the wat=
er that was provided by the Metamor work crew.  Lois, however, kept moving,=
 making comparatively good headway as he went.

    Finally, the crew had managed to clear out a good sized perimeter aroun=
d the felled tree.  After breaking as much of the ice around the log as pos=
sible, they turned to the horses for help.

    The first attempt resulted in very slight movement from the tree.  The =
crew again went to, doing everything they could to break the tree loose fro=
m the ground.  This time when the horses pulled, the log began to shift.  E=
ncouraged, the men took advantage of small bit of separation that the end o=
f the log now had above the ground, and cleared the obstructions out from i=
n front of it.  Another pull, and the log began to slide, slowly but surely=
, free from the rut it had carved in the road.

    A few more minutes of work, clearing the debris that the log dragged up=
 along the way.  Finally, the log was off of the road and into the forest.

    Lois stood back from the log, smiling as his quickened breath misted be=
fore his eyes.  It had taken them close to two hours of hard work, but they=
 had managed to finally get the log off of the trail.

    =93Well done,=94 the man who had met them said, smiling.  =93It would h=
ave taken us far longer than it did if you hadn=92t been here to help us.=
=94

    =93It was our pleasure,=94 the caravan master said.  Lois could tell th=
at it was mostly said for courtesy=92s sake.  He could also see by looking =
at his employer that he was worried, and Lois knew why.  =93I hope that the=
re are no more such situations farther along the road.=94

    =93I cannot guarantee that there will be no other such obstructions up =
ahead,=94 came the response.  =93We were only a little way up the road when=
 the storm hit yesterday, and we were forced to stay out here for the night=
.  By what we=92ve seen so far, though, do not expect your road to be free =
of pitfalls.  The wagon that we brought our tools in managed to find a good=
 sized rut, and it took us a good while to free it.=94

    The caravan master sighed.  =93I was afraid of this.  We have already b=
een in the valley for almost three days, thanks to that storm.  I do not wi=
sh to tempt the Curse=92s wrath, no offense intended.=94  He shook his head=
.  =93At this rate, we could very well be on our way there for another day,=
 it will take time to sell our wares and buy supplies for the return journe=
y, and then we need time to get out of the valley.=94  He shook his head.  =
=93I feel like I=92m pushing it to try to get there.=94

    =93I would suggest turning back if you do not wish to run a high risk,=
=94 the Metamorian commented.  =93We=92re expecting the weather to stay thi=
s way for a while.  If you continue, you=92ll run a very definite risk of b=
eing trapped at the Keep.=94

    The caravan master cursed.  =93Just as I feared.  It seems that we migh=
t be better just to turn back right now.  From here we might have enough su=
pplies to tide us over.  Still, we=91ll be losing a considerable investment=
 if we don=91t complete this trip.=94

    =93Better to lose an investment than be trapped by the Curse!=94 one of=
 the caravan guards cried, obviously having hoped that this trip would have=
 turned out calmer.  His argument was backed by many different  affirmation=
s from the other caravan guards.  The Metamorian lumber crew suddenly began=
 to gather their things as though to quickly escape the discussion that was=
 to follow.  Lois leaned against a tree and waited, not doubting much what =
course of action would be chosen.

    A few of the guards seemed convinced that the profit from tempting the =
wrath of the elements at that point would be worth it, but most heavily fav=
ored turning back.  Both parties repeatedly presented their own arguments a=
s to why they should decide on way or another.

    Finally, the caravan master had had enough.  =93All right!=94 he shoute=
d, interrupting the argument.  =93We know that some of you are more interes=
ted in gaining profit than in making sure that we avoid the Curse, while th=
e others are heavily in favor of fleeing before the Curse has a chance to w=
ork its will on us.  I offer you all a solution: We will return the way we =
came, and you will all be paid double the agreed hire.=94  There was a quie=
t discussion among the men for a moment, then they all agreed that this sui=
ted all of their interests equally well.  =93Good,=94 the caravan master sa=
id, still with a look of anger evident on his face.  =93Now, let=92s return=
 and begin our trek back, before some unforeseen disaster eliminates our es=
cape.=94

    They started away back up the road, leaving the Metamorian work crew to=
 gather their supplies and prepare for there own journey.  Lois silently fo=
llowed the group, knowing exactly what he intended to do.

    They soon arrived at the camp that had been made in their absence.  The=
 caravan master quickly informed the remaining men of the decision, and the=
y moved quickly to break camp and start on their way back before it got any=
 later in the day.

    As the men moved quickly to perform their duties, however, Lois was inv=
olved in quite a different task.  Jumping into the wagon where he had stowe=
d his supplies, he packed all of the loose items into a medium sized black =
chest, then jumped out of the wagon, toting the chest before him.  He found=
 the horse that he had been given for the duration of the journey.  Taking =
the horse=92s lead, he moved down the road towards the Keep, his chest held=
 in his right hand while he led the horse with his left hand.

    It didn=92t take the caravan master long to spot Lois.  He jumped on hi=
s horse and quickly moved to intercept the man.

    =93I see that you seem to intend to make off with one of my horses,=94 =
he said, turning his steed in front of Lois on the icy road.  Lois looked u=
p at the caravan master impassively.

    =93You stated that all of your caravan guards were to be paid twice the=
 agreed hire,=94 he pointed out, assuming the voice he used when discussing=
 business.  =93My agreed hire was free transportation to the Keep.  As I do=
 not wish to travel back with you, I will take this horse and be on my way =
if you don=92t have any better ideas.=94

    The caravan master shook his head.  =93So, this is it then?  You truly =
are mad enough to wish to suffer the Curse?=94

    Lois shifted slightly, still regarding the man with a gaze devoid of an=
y emotion.  =93I do not go to the Keep to be cursed, but if I must be curse=
d to live there, then so be it.=94

    The other man shifted in the saddle, his expression perplexed.  =93For =
a man of your type, I would never have anticipated that you would want to l=
ive in a cursed Keep,=94 he said, voice confused.  =93You=92ve done well en=
ough for yourself outside of the Keep.  What sort of wanderlust could possi=
bly drive you to accept such a thing as the Curse?=94

    =93Wanderlust in not the proper word,=94 Lois replied.  =93Homesickness=
 would describe this more fully, I believe.=94

    The caravan master looked even more confused.  =93Homesickness?  Are yo=
u Metamorian?=94

    =93Not by birth, but by heart,=94 Lois confirmed.

    =93By heart!=94 the man laughed.  =93I didn=92t think you had a heart.=
=94

    =93Maybe I don=92t.  Maybe it=92s just a gut feeling that I belong at t=
he Keep, but I do feel that way.=94  Lois straightened, shifting his supply=
 chest to a more comfortable position.  =93Now, may I have your leave to co=
ntinue on my way?=94

    =93Very well,=94 came the response.  =93It is a shame to lose such a go=
od man, though.=94

    Lois gave a slight smile.  =93I would be willing to bet that it is more=
 that you hate to think what your purse will suffer after both losing your =
investment in this caravan and losing your bet that you would convince me t=
o stay on with you.=94

    The caravan master shrugged.  =93Perhaps,=94 he responded.  =93Well, wh=
ile I do not understand your reasoning, I respect your wishes.  I wish you =
all speed on your journey, and may you live a happy life in your new home.=
=94

    Lois nodded, accepting the well-wishing of his employer.  =93Who knows,=
 perhaps sometime when the weather is fairer, we may meet again.=94

    The mounted man laughed again.  =93I doubt that I will recognize you if=
 we ever do meet, but I hope we do anyway,=94 he stated.  =93Perhaps, if we=
 ever do meet again, you might tell me what sort of madness drives you to t=
his decision.=94

    =93I will surely do so if we ever meet again,=94 Lois said, smiling.  =
=93Farewell, until we meet again.=94  As the horse that blocked his path wa=
s moved away by its rider, Lois continued down the path.  A few of the cara=
van guards watched him curiously, but no one was about to follow him.  No o=
ne else was foolhardy enough to try the Curse=92s patience.

            *        *        *        *            =

    Lois=92 horse crunches along the still-frozen road, navigating around a=
ny puddles that looked remotely dangerous.  Lois now rode normally instead =
of leading the horse.  Having tired of lugging his supplies with one hand, =
he had used two strips of cloth that the case had contained to create loops=
 for his arms, tying them to the case.  He then crossed them across his che=
st.  It sure wasn=92t the best looking rig he had ever conceived, but it di=
d allow him to ride his horse, however hunched he was forced to sit in the =
saddle.

    He had been riding now for several hours.  He had considered trying to =
raise his pace, but he already had to keep alert for the dangers of the roa=
d.  Going faster would increase the chance of an accident.

    Still, by what he knew of his location, he expected to be able to reach=
 the Keep before sundown.  The sun was already setting, but it was hidden b=
ehind the heavy clouds which loomed overhead.  A haze hung over the trail, =
producing an eerie feeling as he moved alone on the path.  The only sounds =
were the steady plod of his horse=92s hooves, the accompanying crunch of th=
e frostbitten ground, and the quite but steady rhythm of his own breath.  N=
o animals seemed present, or any who were saw fit to preserve the silence o=
f the day.  Lois shrugged, setting the straps in a more comfortable positio=
n on his back.

    The routine continued like this for quite a little while.  As the light=
 slowly waned and the fog seemed to redouble its efforts to hide the ground=
, Lois silently considered his situation.  He had not planned to camp alone=
 out on this path.  While he had done stranger things in the past and no do=
ubt intended to do so in the future, camping without the proper equipment o=
n that road in that weather didn=92t seem like the best way to spend the ev=
ening.

    Lois kept moving forward, hoping to see the Keep ahead so that he would=
 at least have some idea as to how far he had left to travel.  The fog prev=
ented this, however, and he had still not seen any sign of the Keep when da=
rkness forced him to stop.  He dared not continue for fear of running afoul=
 of one of the many pitfalls that the storm had created.

    The forest had retreated on either side of him, and now all of the tree=
s stood behind the fog, invisible to Lois as he sat in the saddle, thinking=
 through his next course of action.

    He just sat there for some time, mulling over the situation in his mind=
 while staring out into the night but seeing nothing but the impenetrable g=
ray wall that hemmed him in on every side.  He didn=92t like the idea of st=
aying out on the road at night; nothing wholesome would dare go anywhere in=
 this weather.  That only left whatever unwholesome things there were aroun=
d him, and he knew there were far too many in this part of the world.

    He dismounted the horse, compensating unconsciously for the cumbersome =
weight of the chest strapped to his back.  He stood silently beside the hor=
se, still uncertain of his course of action..  The horse also seemed nervou=
s, ears swiveling to follow noises that weren=92t there.  Still, the two re=
mained silent as if by some accord.

    Lois looked about him in the darkness.  He would have liked some light,=
 but none was forthcoming.  He didn=92t exactly plan to have this sort of t=
rouble, so he had not brought a lantern.  He berated himself for not having=
 taken one from camp after seeing how the weather was.

    Seeing nothing he could do, Lois untied the chest from his back and set=
 it on the ground beside his horse.  He stretched, releasing the tension th=
at carrying it around had produced in his muscles.  He then sat down, huggi=
ng his coat closer to him.  He frowned, knowing that the weather was likely=
 to get worse before it got better.

    He sat there, holding his horse=92s reins, staring at the fog with loat=
hing.  How he wished that it would just go away and leave him to travel on =
his way.  He was sure that there would be enough of a moon to travel by ton=
ight, if only he could actually see it.

    He alternated between trying to bore holes in the fog through pure forc=
e of will and laying his head back against his horse=92s side.  He couldn=
=92t tell what time it was, there was nothing to indicate passage of time, =
only the dull gray walls that stood around him on every side.  It was a str=
ange feeling, this disorientation.  He had experienced it before, but never=
 outdoors.  It had always been caused by the constant black of underground =
dungeons that had caused it before.

    Hours passed.  At least he thought they passed, with the fog as thick i=
s at was he sometimes wondered if time was still moving on the outside.  St=
ill, the gray of the fog was lightening ever so slowly.  He thought it was,=
 anyway.  He shook his head.  It was maddening, this blasted fog!

    Finally, Lois noticed the thickness of the haze was lessening, and he w=
as able to see farther along the road.  Seeing this, he stood back up and s=
trapped the chest to his back again.  Still unable to see far enough to tru=
st himself to aptly ride the horse, he led it by the reins deeper into the =
fog.  He hoped he was still on the path; he had intentionally kept the hors=
e facing their traveling direction after dismounting, but he could never te=
ll when the path would take a turn.  Still, he determined that moving would=
 stay his madness, and that he would continue to walk until he found the tr=
ees, or, if he was lucky, a stone wall hiding in the fog.

    His steps kept on, avoiding the occasional divots that the weather had =
caused in the pathway.  The fog continue to lift, making him continue to in=
crease in confidence.  His steps became longer, moving him faster through t=
he mist.  He still felt cut off from the world, but the absolute loneliness=
 of the past few hours had been far more disconcerting.

    He stopped after an hour or so of travel, eating a small meal that he h=
ad packed before he left.  He hoped that he wasn=92t too far off of the bea=
ten path; he didn=92t have anything else to eat, and he wasn=92t interested=
 in going hungry.

    As he ate, the fog lifted further, far enough so that he could see unde=
rneath it for a substantial distance.  After some consideration, he decided=
 to give it some time to clear rather than continue to travel blindly.

    So he waited, once more sitting on his travel chest.  He stared intentl=
y into the fog for a while, the decided that he was just wasting time and f=
rustrating himself.  He decided not to bother his horse further by resting =
his head on him.  Instead he just sat with his shoulders slumped, hunching =
himself against the cold as well as putting himself in a more comfortable p=
osition to rest in.

    He woke with a start a while later, hand immediately on his dagger.  He=
 hadn=92t meant to fall asleep.  Luckily, his horse had decided to stick by=
 his new owner and still stood beside him.  It wasn=92t this that intereste=
d Lois so much, though.  The fog had lifted substantially, letting him see =
for a good distance before it once more cut off his vision, and standing th=
ere about thirty feet from his position, was a large wall.

    =93Well,=94 he said to himself, smiling broadly, =93That is convenient.=
=94

    He had soon strapped his pack to his back once more, and set off slowly=
 towards the walls.  He called out as he approached, and a man atop the wal=
ls responded to him.  He quickly explained his presence, and the gates were=
 opened without a problem.

    Lois guided his horse along the roads of the town he was in.  He had be=
en here before, many years earlier.  Euper, they called it, the town that p=
receded Metamor along the southern road.  He had spent a good amount of his=
 previous stay in this area, in one of the inns that bordered the main road=
.  Now, though, he intended to move into the Keep proper if at all possible.

    The street that moved through the center of the town was basically dese=
rted.  Those who were outside moved briskly to get to wherever they were go=
ing.  No one was interested in staying outside.  Though it was not raining =
now, the humidity was enough to soak someone from the inside out in no time=
 at all.

    Lois was already soaked so he just kept his horse moving in the right d=
irection.  He was in no hurry now that he had arrived at his destination, a=
nd he already knew what awaited him up ahead, so he just traveled quietly, =
looking out for anything of interest.

    His hunger got to him again a while later, as the small breakfast he ha=
d taken that morning wore off.  He stopped at a small place and took his mi=
dday meal before continuing his way to the Keep.

    He finally reached the switchback trail that lead to the Keep=92s main =
entrance.  The trail was somewhat slippery with the rain, but the horse was=
 able to find purchase for its hooves, so they climbed upward.  They made t=
heir way up the slope, turning back on the successively high paths until th=
ey finally reached the top of the winding trail.

    Finally, now that Lois=92 view was no longer obscured by the fog, he co=
uld see the first gate before him.  He moved towards it until, as he reache=
d the gate, a guard, bearing some features of a bull, challenged him.

    =93Halt, identify yourself.=94

    Lois grimaced.  When would someone finally come up with a more original=
 challenge than that?

    =93My name is Vincent Lois.  I seek refuge within the walls,=94 he resp=
onded, stopping his horse as a way of acknowledging the sentry=92s challeng=
e.

    =93We have not received advanced warning of anyone coming along this ro=
ad, explain yourself,=94 the sentry answered back.

    Lois rolled his eyes.  =93Besides the fact that I doubt that any scout =
could have seen me in the past 12 or so hours, there is the fact that I had=
 been accompanied by a caravan.  The caravan master decided that risking th=
e Curse=92s wrath in this sort of weather would be foolish, so I have conti=
nued alone.=94

    =93We do have record of a caravan turning back about a day ago,=94 the =
sentry confirmed.  =93We did not here anything about someone leaving the ca=
ravan and continuing alone, however. You wouldn=91t happen to still have th=
e contract, would you, Mr. Lois?=94

    =93Yes,=94 Lois answered.  He shifted awkwardly, pulled back one of the=
 cloths that held the pack to his back, and pulled out the contract.  He ha=
nded it to the bovine guard, who studied it for a moment before nodding.

    =93All looks to be in order.  Still, as the caravan is no longer going =
to be conducting business at the Keep, I must inquire as to your intentions=
.=94

    =93I intend to seek residence,=94 Lois answered briefly.

    =93Really?=94  The sentry=92s voice had a bit of interest to it.  =93We=
 do not receive people seeking residence very often.  Even though we have r=
equested as much aid as possible, the Curse seems keeps people away.=94

    =93I have no fear of the Curse,=94 Lois said.  =93At any rate I will no=
t allow it to keep me from entering.=94
    The guard nodded, satisfied.  There were a few more questions asked, an=
d the corresponding answers given.  The guards searched Lois=92 equipment, =
told him where to find an inn to stay at temporarily, and then let him ente=
r.

    Lois crossed the killing grounds, then once more submitted to an interr=
ogation from the guards.  As soon as they had satisfied themselves that he =
intended to do as he said, they allowed him to enter.  As he rode through t=
he gates, Lois smiled.  He was back.

    None of the people in the streets seemed too interested in the newcomer=
.  Their minds were likely on their own business, Lois decided.  He continu=
ed to ride into the town without encountering any complications.  Eventuall=
y he found the inn that he had been told of by the guards.  He wasted no ti=
me in getting a room, then entrusting his horse to the age regressed Keeper=
 who cared for the stables.

    As Lois sat on the bed in his room a few minutes later, he smiled.  He =
felt truly happy for the first time in many years.  After just thinking ove=
r the events of the past few days, Lois shook his head and laughed.  =93It=
=92s good to be home.=94

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger=A0
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=3Den-us&sourc=
e=3Dwlmailtagline