[Mkguild] The Curse

Michael Olson michael.k.olson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 19:48:00 EDT 2008

I'm still working (although enjoying it) through my backlog of MK
stories, so if this is sparked by a current event, could someone point
me to the relevant tale?

That said, I think the universe has been remarkably consistent despite
all the antics with the Curse.  It has been manipulated countless
times, but the Curse has always come out on top.  Characters might end
up with additional benefits, but they've all seemed to end up meeting
the minimum requirement of being afflicted by 1 irrevocable, random
(as far as IC goes) Curse.  I think as long as that trend continues,
the efficacy of the Curse as a plot element is fine.  I think Oren is
the closest anyone has come to breaking the immutable laws of the
Curse on screen, and even then he didn't arguably come out of it much
better for the attempt (I'm not advising that anyone go that far
again, just point out for accuracy).

With regards to the Ecclesia priests and nuns being granted immunity.
I'm not familiar enough with Ecclesian (Catholic) doctrine, so if one
of our resident Followers could clarify the theology behind it that
might be helpful.  Then we could hash out what this means in relation
to the Curse.  I mean for example, are male and female souls
intrinsically different types under Ecclesian theology?  And if that's
the sticking point we'd then need to figure out if the TG curse
converts a soul from one type to the other, if it messes with the body
and leaves the soul alone, or if it depends on the person and how they
react to their situation.  Is there some pact established by the vows
they take that would result in a breach of contract if Eli let them be
given the TG Curse?  I currently don't understand the reason why
they'd be given immunity, but that doesn't mean there isn't a pretty
good one.

Michael Olson
AKA Mystic