[Mkguild] Nunly's Lutins - part 2

Mythril Vulpes mythril.vulpes at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 04:17:05 UTC 2009

                          Nunly's Lutins

                         by Mythril Vulpes

------------ Part 2  -  The Award  --------------

  Nunly's return with Muddo in tow was interrupted by meeting a hundred
Druzhina soldiers, Nasoj's personal bodyguards. Leading them were three
Druzhina mages. The sight was so amazing Nunly started to sober up.
Behind them were a large number of people Nunly failed to recognize, but
did include several other mages of Nunly's level that he vaguely knew.

  The three Druzhina mages approached Nunly.

  "We bring you greetings from Nasoj." the first mage announced. "Please
join us within."

  Nunly was about to make a bad joke about joining them together, but
one look at the assembled Druzhina caused his mouth to slam shut.

  The mages proceeded in single file down a path lined with Druzhina
soldiers, to the largest tent Nunly had ever seen.  Octagonal shaped,
bright white, with blue and red flags flying at the corners, the tent
loomed over them as they approached. The three mages enter the tent
followed by Nunly and Muddo, then the the remainder of the crowd.

  The three mages seated themselves on three chairs at the back of the
tent. Nunly and Muddo were seated before them, with the remainder of
the crowd arranged in circular rows behind them. The Druzhina soldiers
circled the tent at the sides.

  The head mage started to speak. "Today we are gathered here to
acknowledge the accomplishments of mage Nunly. Out of dozens of young
mages tasked with ending the incipient war with Muddo, only Nunly followed
through. For this outstanding deed, we salute you!"

  With this, all of the spectators in the tent stood and applauded, and
the Druzhina were banging their swords on their shields. Nunly sat there
blushing. Not even Nunly was able to tell if the blush was from the praise or
the ale, or both. He did know that the years of trying to be totally
inconspicuous made  being the focus of attention of this many people
intolerable, and he wanted it to be over now.

  When the noise died down, the lead mage spoke again.

  "Nunly, You have earned the position of Clan Wizard. You have overcome
obstacles that others have not even dared to challenge." The mage started
to drone on.

  Nunly tried to listen, but old habits and the ale conspired to drop Nunly
into a trance. When others talked, he just couldn't help himself.
As the mages lips moved, all Nunly heard was "wah wah wah" as his
imagination showed him dressed in the finest robes seated before his clan.
Fortunately, the mage talked long enough that Nunly managed to pull himself
together as the mage was finishing up.

  "Nunly, Come forward and accept your charge."

  Nunly started, then stood and slowly walked forward to the mage. He
stopped when he was within 3 feet of him. Nunly could feel the eyes of
everyone in the tent on him. He could feel his nerves draw taught despite
the ale coursing through his system. The nerves helped him stand steady in
front of everyone.

  The mage held up an official looking document.

  "This is you appointment as Clan Wizard to the Hi Ho Hock tribe."

  Everyone was silently wondering just what tribe was the Ho Hi Hock Tribe.
One of the youngest mages let out a soft "Oohhh", as if he recognized
the tribe. Everyone else assumed the tribe must be a fierce-some tribe,
and started to wonder where they lived. The noise in the hall grew.

  "This document," the mage continued, "identifies you as Nasoj's
representative. It grants you safe passage throughout all the lands, and
commands any and all to give you any aid you request to reach your goal."

  "Also," the mage continued, "The back is a magical map showing you the
best way to your destination. Just concentrate on the Hi Ho Hock tribe
now to see what I mean."

  Nunly stared at the map and tried to concentrate on the tribe.
As he stared at the map, a line appeared making its way across the
map to a spot on the other side.

  The mage finished up with "Tomorrow we will fix the map to you
and your destination before you leave for your new position. Now
would you like to address the audience?"

  Nunly look around, uncertain of what to say.

  "I started this challenge with the idea that Muddo was ready to
go to war with Nasoj." Nunly started. " As I found, I was wrong."

  "Today, I bring you my good fried Muddo. Muddo bears no malice toward any.
Muddo who bears allegiance for Nasoj in his heart.  Muddo, who brews the best
ale of anyone, and for some reason, has been falsely accused of wanting to
start a war."

  Nunly turned to the mages. "Oh wise ones, please let me take my request
to Nasoj, that Muddo be left unharmed. If I am unable to make my plea
in person, please make it for me."

  Nunly finished with "Thank you."

  The right most mage stepped forward and said "Please join us outside
for some refreshments."

  Everyone turned and started for the exit at the same time when
the Druzhina opened multiple flaps in the tent walls that allowed
everyone to clear the tent quickly. The three mages joined Muddo and
left via a side flap, leaving Nunly standing in the middle of the
tent admiring the map. When he looked up and realized everyone was
gone, he rolled the map up and walked to the nearest open tent
flap. Reaching the tent wall, he stopped to let his eyes adjust to
the sun.  He could hear two people talking.

  "Have you heard what will happen to him?" the first asked.

  "Last I heard, he has one chance. If he messes this up, there will
be one less mage for Nasoj to worry about." answer the second.

  "Well, you would think it would be an easy choice, but some mages
are just plain crazy." the first said.

  "Yeah," the second added. "The faster he gets along the better. Who
know what Nasoj will do if he doesn't."

  Nunly decided that this would be a great time to start on his way,
and went out a flap on the opposite side of the tent. He was in such
a hurry that he almost ran down one of the mages who were in charge
of the ceremony.

  "Oh, pardon me. I'm afraid I have to go now, you know, I have a
new position that I have to reach, and I'm sure they are expecting me,
and I really don't want any refreshments anyway, so I'll just be on my
way right now. Please give my thanks to Nasoj and I have to run. Good-by."

  Nasoj raced around the tent and was off, leaving the mage with this
mouth hanging open, staring at Nunly's shrinking image.

# - # - #

  Nunly's journey to the Hi Ho Hock tribe was almost pleasant. It seemed
the farther along he was on his trip, the more dry, dusty, barren and deserted
the area became. The usual confrontations with random hostile tribes,
guard squads, occasional mages and assorted random problems were easily
diffused by waving Nasoj's scroll in their faces. Few dared interrupt a
mage on a mission from Nasoj, and most gave whatever help they could to
speed Nunly on his way. Of course, the farther Nunly was from them,
the less likely Nasoj would blame them if something were to happen to
his newest appointment had a lot to do with their helpful attitude.

  The enthusiasm that aid was offered was not lost on Nunly, who knew that
he had to keep the scroll intact, and in his possession. The problem was,
once he took over as Clan Wizard, the scroll would notify Nasoj, or more
likely his scribe, and then disintegrate. If Nunly could stop the
disintegration, he could have what amounted to a free pass for life,
or at least until noticed by Nasoj.

  Hours spent daily with every piece of magic Nunly knew failed to
explain how the scroll would self destruct. Finally, with only a half of
a  day's travel left, Nunly conceded that he had no idea what enchantment
was placed on the scroll to ensure it's destruction. His only option was
to go ahead with the meeting of the Clan Chief.

!DSPAM:4b1b30ad216565315134984!