[Mkguild] Plain & Simple part 17 - the end

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sat Feb 7 21:25:30 EST 2009

Two weeks later

   The hall was far from finished. The walls were unpainted, bearing
only the initial coat of plaster. The floors still needed more sanding
before being waxed and varnished. But warm, cheery fires burned brightly
in the four fireplaces scattered around the hall. Tables and chairs all
as new as the hall filled the room giving the hundred people in it
places to sit, eat and drink. All of which they did with great abandon.

   “It was a fine ceremony,” Misha said sipping his drink.

   George nodded. “Not overdone like too many.”

   “Thomas has always been less ostentatious then other nobles,” Misha
commented. “But it was sincere. The Duke truly meant what he said.”

   “That was good. I am tired of nobles who say one thing but do
another.” The jackal took a long drink and nodded his head. “I like this
Duke, he’s a fine leader.”

   Misha understood that George was paying the Horse Duke a very high
compliment. Few earned praise like that from the old bandit.

   George stood up and the noisy crowd in front of him quieted down. The
hall in front of him was filled with over a hundred people – the scouts
that he commanded. “We’ve done very well!” George said to the crowd.
“We’ve taken a fortress by storm and reclaimed some of OUR land. We made
Nasoj respond to OUR attacks. We ATTACKED HIM! We burned the Lutins
homes and drove them out.”

   The group broke out into cheering and George had to stop for a moment
till the shouts had died down.

   “We killed over a thousand Lutins!” George said proudly. “We are
supposed to get five gold per kill. Thomas only gave us one gold each.
But we don’t mind.” The scout leader pointed to his cuff. On it was sewn
a gold bow. The emblem of the new scout branch!

   The group broke out into raucous cheering and clapping and stamping
their feet. George let them celebrate for a moment before holding up his
hand. The group fell silent instantly.

   “I only have 3 standing orders. KILL! SMASH! And drive them from our
land!” The room exploded into cheering and whistling and clapping.

   George held up his cup to Nestorius who was seated next to him. The
lion looked regal dressed all in blue and gold. His fur was still as
black as it had been that night in the cistern. Far from making him look
odd it actually made him look more formidable and ominous. Good things
for a mage and a nobleman. Seated next to him was Amelia. The woman was
wearing a gown of the finest silk dyed a deep, rich blue. “I
congratulate on being appointed commander of this fortress! I can think
of no one better.”

   The lion nodded his head and stood up. “I congratulate you on being
named Scout Commander. “I do wish to proudly announce that Amelia is
expecting our first child!”

   “She’s pregnant? Already?” Misha shouted. “You two didn’t waste any
time! I knew you wanted a family but this is fast!”

   George quieted all the laughter with a wave of the hand.
“Congratulations. New lands to command, a new fortress to finish, a new
home to live in and a new life to nurture and raise. A fine future.”

   A murmur of agreement ran through the room.

   Misha stood up, holding a mug. “To the future!”

The end

   Wow! This is finally finished! This particular story has been in the
works for over two years! It's been a wild ride.

 I hope you enjoyed this little story! Feel free to make comments and
suggestions!

   Chris
   The Lurking Fox

Checked by AVG.