[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXXIII

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Feb 22 19:15:55 EST 2009

And the next Chapter!  Wow, I got this one done fast. :-)

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LXXIII

Visited by the Dead

         The roar of the mountain ripping from
the card and through the artifacts only grew in
their ears.  But it was the pounding ostinato in
their minds that threatened to drown out
everything else.  Even as Anef the First shook
the skunk and gestured to the seemingly endless
stairs, a name, singular and dominating, beat
through every synapse of their brain, “CENZIGA!”
         Yajakali clawed at the mountain as its
scabrous surface sliced through him and the
artifacts.  The gems at each stanchion radiated
fire as they glowed.  His eyes reflected them and
the whirlpool of magic flowed into him and
sustained him in his final struggle. “You have not yet won!”
         Anef snapped back at him, “But you have
certainly lost!  Your war against man is over!”
         Yajakali pushed more of himself up
through the crack in the Dais, even as the
mountain widened and pressed the golden artifacts
further and further apart. “It can never be over!”
         “You are dead!” Anef shouted. “And so
are we!  The dead must move on for the living!”
         “I am the purpose!” Yajakali screamed and flung out one arm.
         Anef sprawled with the blow of magic
crushing in the side of his face.  But his flesh
filled back in and he was whole.  Kayla sprung to
his side and helped him to his feet.  Anef sighed
and grabbed her arm. “Leave this to us,
Kayla.  We are dead.  You are alive.  Go! All of you now!”
         They locked eyes for one moment, and
then the skunk nodded.  Se let go of the ancient
magician and rushed toward the entrance to the
stairs. She waved to the others and pointed. “Our
work is done!  We have to go!” As if echoing her,
one of the pillars at the rear of the room
collapsed, the stones falling through
Qan-af-årael’s form.  The ancient Åelf smiled
sadly, and motioned for Andares and the others to follow her.
         Charles, James and Jerome grabbed their
packs where they’d fallen against one wall and
ran toward the stairs.  The rat looked once at
Zagrosek, but his friend only shook his head and
made the sign of the yew.  The rat sighed, made
the sign of the yew, and turned his eyes from his
lifelong friend for the last time.
         Abafouq and Guernef were right behind
them.  Lindsey tugged on Habakkuk’s arm but the
dust-coloured kangaroo shook his head too.  His
eyes bore tears as he gazed at his love. “I am
dead, Lindsey.  Weep for me, but do not linger and do not look for me.”
         Lindsey slapped her tail against the
ground. “But I just found you again!”
         Habakkuk ignored and pointed to his sack
flung against the pillar nearest the stairs.
“Take my things with you.  Read and you will win
your way to me for eternity.  Go!  You must survive for me!”
         Lindsey tugged his arm one last time,
but this time, her paw slipped through his flesh
and she stumbled backwards.  A rock crashed
through the ceiling and landed between
them.  Lindsey took a step toward him, but more
and more stones came crashing down.  With a cry
of anguish, she turned and hopped as fast as she
could to the stairs, stopping only to grab his
things.  Andares put one hand on her shoulder and guided her to the others.
         Jessica and the Marquis’s two servants,
still weak from their ordeal on the Dais were the
last to meet them at the base.  The hawk turned
at the entrance, and watched as the nine mages
linked their hands again and walked toward
Yajakali who had nearly freed himself from the descending mountain.
         One by one the others turned, gaze rapt
as the nine who died all faded into
insubstantiality as they stepped backward into
the walls once filled with the disquieting
radiance of lucnos.  The card had stretched to
encompass nearly the entire ceiling as the
mountain, stretched taut like taffy, plunged ever
deeper into the abyss.  Yajakali swung one leg
through the hole, his whole body aglow with power.
         Anef’s voice resounded like the ringing
of church bells. “Eleven thousands years ago our
lives were struck down.  Now at least we ten will
go to what lays beyond death’s curtain.  Come, Yajakali.  It is time.”
         “Time is mine!” Yajakali roared and
raised one hand high, the visible torrent of
magic shifting and flowing into his fist.
         “Not anymore.” And the nine mages all
jumped onto the broken Dais, and then onto
Yajakali.  He screamed beneath them as the
mountain bore down.  Slowly, the Dais angled
further, and the ten figures slipped down into
the crack.  Yajakali shook his fist, face
flashing once through the twisting bodies and the
writhing chevrons, and then all of them were gone into the darkness below.
         The nine gems shattered.  Several more
pillars collapsed as the entire room shook itself
apart.  The stanchions glowed and the gold melted
away revealing a grey interior like a bone
beneath flesh.  The Sword and Censer also, once
too frightening for words, began to melt away
like so much wax in a blaze.  The matraluc
beneath the gold lingered only moments more
before it too bubbled and slid away down the
slide of the mountain.  The chevrons flashed one
last time before running like mud in the rain down into the crimson abyss.
         And when the last of those three
artifacts of Yajakali disappeared, the base of
the mountain slammed into the cleft and sealed it
whole.  Falling rocks tore the card to shreds and
the room fell inward in a choke of rubble and thousand year dust.
         All eleven of them ran down the hall and
up the stairs as the collapse followed nipping at their heels.

----------

         One moment Duke Thomas lay his arms over
the weeping form of Kyia, the feeling in his
hooves and legs gone as the timelessness washed
over them, and then next the spirit of the Keep
bolted upright through the protective ring of
arms, his, Lidaman’s, and the two guards’.  Her
long silvery hair danced around her faintly glowing hips.
         “It is finished!” She declared with
verve.  The look of exultant triumph in her eyes
faded to kind pleasure as she looked down at the
horse lord and three others still kneeling in
front of her. “Thomas, it has been done.  Those
you sent six months ago have succeeded in destroying the power of Marzac.”
         Thomas put one hoof to the ground and
stood, as Andhun the bull and Gaspar a child that
would never be a teenager ran into the room
brandishing spears. “Your grace?” the bull
shouted the question as he stared with wide-eyed fear at the silvery woman.
         Thomas laughed at the sight of them,
even as the warthog and woman moved to calm their
friends. “It is all right, Andhun,” Thomas said
and waved one hand. “This is Kyia.  And she has
wonderful news.” He turned back to the spirit of
the Keep and asked, “And the Censer; has it been destroyed?”
         “Yes,” she replied and her face filled
with euphoric delight. “The Belfry is free of
that evil taint.  It has been a knife-wound in my
side these six months, but now it is gone.”
         “And what of those I sent?”
         Lidaman moved his eyes from Thomas to
Kyia and back again as he tried to understand
what was going on.  But even he breathed a sigh
of relief when the spirit of the Keep said, “I
felt them within me for a short time, but they
have returned to Marzac.  I am not certain, but I believe they are well.”
         “That will please many.  I must wake
them and let them know.  If nothing else, we can
ring the bells for the wedding!” The horse lord
realized that he didn’t quite know what he was
saying.  The heart rending terror was past, and he still didn’t understand it.
         The guards rushed to take position
between Thomas and something at the other side of
the room.  Kyia turned her gaze and the delight
faded to polite scorn.  Lidaman and Thomas
turned, and beheld a man long dead stepping out
of the wall and staring straight at
Thomas.  Andhun thrust his spear into the man’s
corpulent gut but met no substance.  The ghost
passed through them to stand before the horse
lord.  Lidaman’s chocked tongue found the name first, “Loriod!”
         Altera Loriod scowled as he looked up
into the horse lord’s long face. “I always
detested you,” Loriod said. “I detested Alvarez
for taking me from my warm country and bringing
me here to this wretchedly cold backwater so we
could raise carrots.  Carrots!  You all made me
miserable, and I loathe that my last act was to defend you.”
         “You are dead,” Thomas declared,
stomping one hoof. “Go to your end in Hell, Altera.”
         Loriod sneered. “I am leaving.  I just
wanted you to know, that you have me to thank for
your continued life.  I know it will grate you
for all time to think that I was responsible for saving this world.”
         “It would,” Thomas replied, crossing his
arms. “But I don’t believe it.”
         Loriod’s face screwed into anger. “You
insufferable beast!  Somebody should bridle you
and break you like the beast you are.”
         Thomas laughed at that, well remembering
those few months when he’d been more horse than
man and called Toumoth. “Already done.  I’m
marrying her too.  Now be off with you.”
         But Loriod’s tirade was not over.  He
wagged one finger and began to shout, when
something dark grabbed him by his legs and pulled
him down.  He screamed in freakish agony, so much
so that Thomas, Lidaman and all four guards
flinched away.  Loriod sank from sight, his face
bent into a rictus of hate before it disappeared
into the floor.  His scream echoed away a few seconds later.
         “What by all the gods is going on?”
Lidaman asked, fighting back a childish tremble.
         “I have no idea.  Kyia?”
         The spirit of the Keep stared at the
spot Loriod had disappeared and sighed. “The
Censer killed him, but kept his soul from moving
beyond.  You were the one person in the world he
wanted to spit at one last time before his final
end claimed him.  You do not need to fear seeing
him again, Thomas.  He is gone to his place.”
         “Hmm,” Thomas mused and scratched his
chin with a heavy hoof-like nail. “I need to
speak with my advisors and discuss this news.  Is
there anything else you can tell me, Kyia?”
         “Only this,” she replied, “Marzac is no
more.  The magic it has stolen is now rolling
back.  I must leave to do what I can to prevent
it from causing any more damage.” And with that,
she stepped toward the nearest wall and vanished within.
         Lidaman looked from the wall to Thomas.
“Well, your grace, all I can say is that you had
best include me in on this little meeting so you
can tell me what by the gods just happened!”
         Thomas laughed because he couldn’t think of anything else to do.

----------

         Jessica wasn’t very good at running up
stairs with her talons and avian body.  So she
shifted into her hawk form and took to wing,
flapping and carefully guiding herself up that
endless staircase as they collapsed behind her
friends.  They charged up behind her, pounding
paws and boots almost as loudly as the quake.
         “Hurry!” The voice of her master,
Wessex, resounded in her mind. “The Chateau is collapsing!”
         She twitched at Wessex’s voice, quickly
casting a glance to either side and then to the
small light far above.  She didn’t see her
diminutive master, but she did see the ceiling
and walls begin to crack under the constant beat
of the quake.  She knew that she could reach the
top of the stairs in time, but what of the others who couldn’t fly?
         “You saw how much magic is gathered
here,” Wessex repeated, his voice gently
admonishing her as he had so often done while
he’d been alive and she his apprentice. “Use it
to hold things the walls together.”
         Jessica pumped her wings fiercely and
turned her thoughts to controlling the exorbitant
power surrounding her.  The waves of magic were
pummelling the Chateau’s stone foundations like a
snake beating itself against a cage.  She’d never
even imagined she would touch a fraction of the
magic surrounding her.  What would it do to her if she touched it?
         “There isn’t much time, Jessica.  You
cannot save others if you try to save yourself.”
         She nodded and with each thrust of her
wings, she angled her toes to corral that energy
and pull it back from the walls.  She felt it
dragging her backward, but she steeled her fear
and pulled harder.  The waves of energy no longer
buffeted the walls, folding in over her.  The
energy permeated her body, and she began glowing
with it, a beacon of brilliant ember leading her friends upward.
         But there was an anger in the magic, a
torrent ready to break forth that she knew she
couldn’t hold back forever.  With each beat of
her wings she tried to cast the floodwaters
back.  The waves of energy throbbed and rippled
beneath her touch, stronger and stronger each
time.  What would happen when that dam broke?
         “It is not for you to fear,” Wessex
said. “Look, you are almost out of the stairs.”
         She turned her eyes away from the magic
bracing the walls, her friends now several dozen
steps behind her in the darkness, and toward the
bright light ahead.  She could see the grey arch
of the entrance room’s ceiling, drab and
mildewed.  It trembled from the quake, ancient
dust drifting down, tiles breaking free and
crashing to the floor.  Jessica reached out with
her magic and held that in place too.
         And then she burst free from the
staircase and angled her wings to settle her
toward the closed door.  The purple magic that
had kept the interior of the Chateau separate
from the rest of the world was now full of holes
and tearing apart like a bit of parchment in a
gale.  The walls still stood, and even with the
magical envelope ripped asunder, it did them
little good in escaping the Chateau.  She had to
get the door open again and it was still covered
by that foul reality distorting magic.
         As she settled to the stone floor and
shifted into her morphic form, Jessica’s golden
eyes widened in disbelief as her former master
Wessex walked through the purple curtain in front
of the door and smiled to her. “Thank you for
your prayers for me, Jessica.  You were right
about the gods and I was wrong to ever doubt
them.  I have called to them in my distress and
they showed me what to do to save you here.”
         “Wessex!” Jessica cried, reaching out
with her wings to grasp him. “You’re not dead!”
         “Yes, I am,” Wessex replied.  The man
who looked only a child gestured to a hole in the
purple veil near the doorway. “Send the rivers of
magic you used to keep the stairs from collapsing
through here.  You will break open the door.”
         “But my friends!” Jessica exclaimed,
glancing back over her shoulder.  They were
running up the stairs, gasping for breath, but
still had many more to go. “I can’t keep the tunnel open too!”
         “Yes you can, Jessica.  You are a Master
now.  You will never touch more magic than this.”
Wessex nodded to her and pointed at the hole. “Do
both.  Now, or you will all die when the magic bursts from below.”
         Jessica took a deep breath, turned to
the side, and stretched her wings as far as they
could go.  One wing reached for the stairs to
corral the magical waves as they bounced from
wall to wall knocking stones loose.  The other
wing she pointed toward the hole in the
veil.  The magical current poured out, tearing as
it went through the purple fabric just like a
seamstress stretching a rip.  Her black feathers
glowed with a golden sheen that matched her eyes,
and she felt a loud scree echo from her
beak.  She felt as if she’d been cast into a
forge and bound with red hot shackles.
         “There!” Wessex cried. “It’s working!  Just a moment longer!”
         Jessica’s wings trembled and yearned to
fold over her back.  The long feathers at the end
trembled and tore, several of them fluttering to
the ground or caught on the magical weave to be
sucked out through the veil and dashed against
the stone.  Silt fell from the ceiling and landed
on her head, some pouring into an eye and
stinging.  A loose tile sliced across her left
wing and she felt the blood drain over her
feathers.  Still she held her wings as steady as
she could.  The tear widened, and she could see
the first glimpse of the door at long last.  And
then, as if it were giving up, the purple veil
shredded and the magical wind blew the Chateau’s
only door off its hinges.  The blasted plain
outside was dark with the moonless night.
         Wessex smiled and nodded even as her
wings collapsed to her back. “I am so proud of
you, Jessica.  Take care of your Weyden.”
         “Master, don’t go!” Jessica cried,
stumbling on her talons toward the boy.
         But Wessex shook his head and stepped
back toward the crumbling wall.  His body faded
and she could see the wall through him. “I am
dead, Jessica.  My time is up.  Good bye.  May
the gods smile upon you always.” And he was gone.
         Jessica gasped a sob, even as she heard
the pounding of boots and hooves behind her.  She
half-turned and saw the Marquis’s two servants
rushing up the stairs.  On their heels came James
and Kayla..  Guernef the Nauh-kaee charged behind
him with Abafouq riding between his wings with
arms wrapped about his feathery neck.  She
gestured with her wing toward the door. “Go!  I’ll hold everything open!”
         Andares had one hand upon Lindsey’s back
as he guided sobbing kangaroo forward.  She
carried Habakkuk’s things in one paw and her own
in the other.  Her hopping gait was awkward but
sure.  Behind them Charles and Jerome ran.  The
rat span both Sondeshikes in his paws to keep the
falling stones at bay.  His eyes were wild, and
he gestured with a turn of his head toward the
hawk.  Jerome rushed her, grabbed her about the
middle, and carried her squawking out the
door.  The rat went last, slamming the ancient
Sondeckis staves through either side of the door
as he rushed past.  The arch collapsed behind him
as the front of the Chateau caved in.
         “This way!” Sir Autrefois shouted in a
gruff voice. “There’s a safe path through the plain.  Follow us.”
         Jessica wondered at the wisdom of
following the Marquis’s servants, but there was
no time to argue.  She could feel the magical dam
deep within the Chateau giving way.  Already the
rivers of magic poured out of every crevice in
the magical shield surrounding the Chateau.  What
would happen when all the magic Yajakali had gathered gave way?
         Sir Autrefois bounced back and forth
across several smaller patches of dried earth,
never faltering despite the darkness.  Vigoreaux
followed him, and so too did the others.  The
chalky ground held beneath them.  Behind them
they could hear fissures of steam rise as the
walls of the Chateau fell.  Rocks tumbled
everywhere and the horrific roaring rivalled the
mountain that Charles had detonated in the
Barrier range.  James pulled his ears down to
block the sound, and even Charles retracted both
Sondeshikes to safely wrap his arms over his head
to hide his saucer-shaped ears.
         As the Castellan assured them, they
reached the line of the jungle safely.  Jessica
sent up several witchlights which preceded and
followed them giving them all sufficient light to
see.  Vigoreaux turned to look back, but Andares
grabbed him by the arm and shouted. “Keep running!”
         Charles chanced a quick look over his
shoulder as he ran.  The yellow-brick Chateau
continued its inward collapse.  The scorched
ground around it sank into the steam pits as
whatever magic Yajakali had summoned drew
everything down inside.  Beneath them the ground
undulated like waves on the open sea.  Tree limbs
clacked and leaves fell around them in a profusion of chocking green.
         They ran, Jessica taking to wing and
perching on Andares’s shoulder.  Kayla kept both
swords in paw and sliced away falling ivy and
limbs that collapsed before them.  Guernef kept
his wings tucked in tight, but the Seer of Winds
still used his magic to blast clear their
path.  Abafouq kept his head buried in the
Nauh-kaee’s feathers.  James fell back with
Charles and Jerome; the rat tossed Jerome one of
the Sondeshikes and let him use it to keep any
brush from falling on their heads.  The Marquis’s
servants kept pace with them, even the somewhat corpulent steward.
         They must have ran for almost ten
straight minutes when Andares shouted, “It’s
coming!  Jessica, a shield!” Andares jumped into
a small depression between mangroves and waved
the rest to do the same.  It was large enough for
all of them, but only just.  Jessica jumped off
the Åelf’s shoulder and spread her wings, though
the left couldn’t quite extend all the way.  A
blue nimbus covered the depression.  Kayla put
her paws on Jessica’s back, and the blue glowed
brighter.  Abafouq climbed of the Nauh-kaee, and
the both of them also lent the hawk their strength.
         And then the earth shook with such force
that all of them were knocked to the ground.  The
shield stayed in place, as their eyes cast back
through the choking jungle.  Where once had stood
the Chateau Marzac now exploded a white-hot
fireball that shot in a tower of energy toward
the empty sky.  The jungle sizzled and every
tree, leaf, vine, and bits of flotsam caught
flame.  The shield cracked and buckled under the
powerful blow, but held firm.  Every one of them
covered their eyes to keep from going blind.  The
roar did not hurt their ears; it utterly destroyed them.

----------

         “Weyden.”
         Golden eyes blinked open to the darkness
inside the barracks outside Lord Barnhardt’s
castle where they’d been stationed.  Weyden
turned his head from side to side, noting the
outline of his friends all still asleep.  The
giraffe Larssen snored where he laid in two bunks
fitted together to accommodate his nine foot
height.  The youthful Van slept soundlessly
nearby, while Maud lay on her back with one arm
dangling out of the bed.  Weyden’s beak cracked a
bit as he saw them, but as they were asleep, it
couldn’t have been they who called his name.
         He looked to the other side where
Sergeant Dallar the ram slept with the other
grunts in their unit.  Dallar had been one of the
guards watching over them while they had lingered
forgotten in prison for four months.  When the
Duke granted them clemency and inducted them into
the Metamor army Dallar, who had been one of the
few who would talk with them and bring them
things, had been given command of the unit they
were to serve in.  Weyden, once Captain of
Ambassador Yonson’s guards, no longer could claim
any such distinction.  His uniform bore a single
arrowhead to show his new humble station in life.
         But as long as his friends were with
him, and the pipe smoking ram was now counted
amongst them, then he would not complain.  His
heart yearned for Jessica, his lovely hawk who
had promised to wed him on her return, but after
four months in a dank cell, he’d grown used to waiting.
         Dallar and the other soldiers were all
asleep as well.  Weyden sighed and closed his
eyes, shifted back and forth on his perch until
he was comfortable enough to sleep again.
         “Weyden.  I’m sorry.”
         The hawk definitely heard something this
time.  He turned his head back and forth, but all
of his friends still lay asleep.  Toward the door
of the barracks he saw a subtle light pass
through and a figure emerged from the wood.  His
heart pounded harder in his chest, for the purple
robe, long black and white stripped tail, and
wide golden eyes set in a short-snouted face were
very familiar.  And he thought he was dead.
         “Yonson,” Weyden whispered as quietly as
he could. “But what are you...”
         Yonson shook his head and floated across
the bunks to settle before his one-time Captain.
“Yes, I am dead, Weyden.  The one who compelled
me, and destroyed your friends Humphrey and
London, is now gone.  Your Jessica escaped and will return to you.”
         Weyden felt the tremor in his heart
lift.  The hawk breathed a long satisfied sigh of
relief.  His wings drooped as if he’d just
dropped a heavy weight. “But, how are you here?”
         “I have only a moment, and there was no
other I wished to see than you, my faithful
Captain.  You have suffered much because of me, and for that I am sorry.”
         “What was it, Ambassador?” Weyden asked,
feeling uncertain what else to do.  How did one accost a dead man apologizing?
         “Marzac took me and all who ventured
there.  You were innocent, and yet you suffered
because of me.  If the choice were mine, I would
never have done any of it to you.  Please forgive me for that.”
         Weyden nodded slowly.  The rigour of
martial life had helped work out the misery of
the dungeons.  In truth he’d never really blamed
Yonson for it.  His tears had never been for
himself, but for his lost friends. “I forgive
you.  What of London and Humphrey?”
         “I hope to see them on the other side,”
Yonson replied with a faint smile.  His flesh
began to fade and he glanced down at his
paws.  His long tail curled around his legs. “I
do hope I’ll still be this.” He glanced at the
hawk and favoured him with a short bow. “Good
bye, my dear friend.  Tell the others I said good bye.” And then he was gone.
         Weyden stared at that spot for several
long seconds.  And then he settled back, beak
cracked in an avian grin.  Jessica would be
coming home.  His exultant heart was freed from prison once again.

----------

         The mocking presence vanished, swallowed
by some shadow that his skills could not
presence.  Where once the sword that was not a
sword had transfixed him, now Czestadt collapsed
before the altar in the side chapel in
Stuthgansk.  The dawn’s golden light brought a
faint glow to the gold thread.  His eyes rose to
the icon of Holy Mother Yanlin, and he felt a
strange peace in her eyes.  His gaze stayed on
her for several seconds, and a smile curled the tears from his eyes.
         Czestadt didn’t know what had happened,
but a part of him felt whole again.  There was
still a twinge of distrust inside, but
instinctively he knew it would be
overcome.  Still, what could he do?  His lips
found words again. “What has happened,
Mother?  The sword is gone.  I know it, but I
don’t understand.  What should I do?”
         He didn’t expect an answer, and
certainly not in the voice of the fat-cheeked
Bishop he’d seen impaled beneath Yesulam by the
absent blade. “The answer has been before you for some time, Sir Czestadt.”
         Czestadt turned his head and beheld the
jolly face of Bishop Jothay staring at him with a
look of admiration.  He was dressed in a white
smock with only the barest of accoutrements to
mark his station as a Bishop.  The red cap
covered his light-coloured hair, and the ruby
ring adorning a fat finger, but nothing
else.  His eyes, once filled with a feverish
hunger, were now placid and almost melancholy.
“You’re dead,” Czestadt said, voice slow. “But so
did others think I was dead.” The scar Kashin had
made in his face was still tender and would never
completely heal, but it no longer pained him.
         “I am dead,” Jothay replied. “Forgive me
for doing what I did to you and to all those
children.  The blade took many lives while in my
hands.  But I am here for you, to I hope do one good thing before I go.”
         “And what is that?” Czestadt asked,
suspicious.  Although this was the Bishop that
had led him astray, his heart yearned to believe him.
         “You no longer feel you can serve as you do now.  So change.”
         “To what?” Czestadt snapped. “I want
only to serve the Ecclesia and to have no
question about my service.  You destroyed that.”
         Jothay nodded, and the melancholy
distance in his eyes increased. “Then serve those
you know can be trusted until your faith in the Ecclesia is restored.”
         Czestadt sneered. “And who might that be?”
         “Whose tomb did you take refuge in after I died?”
         Czestadt licked his lips. “Sir Bearn’s.”
         Jothay nodded and smiled. “You know of
whom I speak, Sir Czestadt.  And thank Kashin for
me when you see him when you return to Yesulam.”
The Bishop’s body slowly faded from sight.
         Before he had completely disappeared,
Czestadt reached out one hand, his prayer beads
still draped over his fingers. “Wait!  Thank him for what?”
         The dead Bishop’s smile bore a look of
cherubic amusement as it spread across his ruddy
cheeks. “For staying faithful to his
vocation.  As will you...” the voice trailed away
as the last of his substance vanished.  Only the
golden light of the new morning shone where once
he’d stood.  Czestadt took a long breath, nodded
to himself, and resumed his prayers, eyes never
leaving the Holy Mother’s face as his fingers counted off the decades.

----------

         According to the stars overhead, it was
now past midnight.  Captain Becket pulled his
cloak tighter about his neck as his breath misted
in the air.  To the east and west loomed
snow-covered mountains, and to the north the
plains and scattered forests at the southern end
of Metamor Valley.  They had arrived at the
southern reaches of the cursed lands that evening
and after finding a place near the main northern
road shielded from the wind, they’d made their camp.
         A finger of stones jutting from the
earth blocked the wind, though they’d had to dig
through nearly a foot of snow before they could
build a fire.  They’d passed a small caravansary
at the valley’s mouth, but Becket preferred
staying well away from anyplace that might hear
William’s wild screaming.  Until an hour past,
William Dupré vacillated between boldly
proclaimed threats and frightened gasping all at
the top of his lungs with longer periods of brooding silence.
         Becket had taken two wagons for their
journey from Mallow Horn.  One carried their
supplies and offered a place to sleep in the
night grew frigid.  The other was bared to keep
Dupré from attacking them, and those bars were
concealed to all.  The young captain would check
on their prisoner regularly, and he would see a
man with dark eyes gazing at him as if wondering
which part of his flesh he should eat first.  It
pained Becket to see the man who he’d been proud
to call his lord reduced to this.  What foul
magic had the man with cards used against him?
         An hour ago, Dupré had stopped ranting
about his master’s triumph and fell into a fit of
weeping for all that he’d lost with his
exile.  Jory and his other children, and even his
wife Anya who had handed him over to her father
the Duke.  Becket and the two other soldiers
standing watch with him listened for a long time
before the captain could stand it no longer.  He
unlocked the wagon and let William warm himself
by the fire.  For a long time William said
nothing, his hard face staring into the snapping
flames as empty as a thrice-checked
bottle.  Becket wondered if he would ever say
anything or if this wasn’t some new ploy.  The
other four soldiers were all roused from their
sleep and together the seven of them kept watch over their exiled lord.
         Becket pulled his cloak tighter around
his neck as he peered at the northern forests and
abundant snow.  He wondered what William would do
for himself in this land.  He hated the thought
of leaving him here, but those were his
orders.  With a sigh, he rose and slipped a hand
beneath Dupré’s arm.  He’d put the madman back in his wagon to sleep.
         But William grabbed his arm with his
free hand and shook his head. “There’s no need, Captain.  I’m myself again.”
         “Milord?”
         “I’m myself, Becket.  I haven’t been
myself in months.  Not since the Marquis forced
me to play with his deck.  Whatever control he
had over me... it’s gone.  Just gone.  For the
first time I can think clearly.  That bastard
stole everything from me, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”
         Becket took a deep breath, eyes glancing
at the other soldiers.  They were tense and ready
to restrain their lord should he prove
duplicitous.  But the captain wanted to believe
him.  The firmness of the general was back in his
voice, and it felt reassuring to hear.  Becket
let go of his arm and settled cross-legged next
to him. “You still have your life, milord.”
         William snorted, eyes never straying
from the fire. “My life.  I’m to be cursed,
Becket.  Cursed and trapped here in this
valley.  I’ll never see my children
again.  Verdane will make them his so he can have
his heir.  I hope Otakar kills Jaime just so
Verdane knows what I feel like.” He spat and the fire sizzled.
         “You won’t be alone here, milord,”
Becket assured him, though he didn’t know what he
was saying. “I will remain with you to serve you
in whatever way I can.” He couldn’t believe the
words that came from his lips.  Without thinking
it through, he’d just committed himself to
suffering Metamor’s curses out of sheer loyalty.
         William snorted, but his lips did
twitch. “Thank you, Captain.  But his grace
ordered you to return and tell him what I become.”
         “There are seven of us here,” Becket
said, eyes glancing at the soldiers.  All of them
nodded, hands moving to the ram-head heraldry
they bore on their cloaks.  He almost laughed
when he realized that the trouble would not be in
finding men willing to stay with William but
finding one willing to leave him. “The weather
here is frightful.  A group of travellers could be trapped without warning.”
         William turned his head and stared at
him with queer eyes. “But Verdane ordered you back.”
         “Stuff Verdane,” Becket snapped, feeling
a different heat fill him. “It is to you I swore
my hand, milord.  It is under your banner I have
fought and bled.  And it is under your banner I would like to die.  Not his.”
         William smiled and patted him on the
shoulder. “Good man, Becket.  If that is your
wish...” The words were sucked out of his throat
as a sudden wind extinguished their
fire.  William stood, legs solid under the sudden
gale and stared toward the south.  His eyes
widened and his cheeks drew taut. “What the hell is that?”
         Becket rose, braced himself, and then
made the sign of the yew over his chest.  All the
grasses bent under the shimmering wall of light
rushing toward them from the south.  The light
was faint, like a thin series of cobwebs
stretched taut and then left dangling.  They wove
in and out of each other as they passed through
tree, rock, and mountain in their relentless push
north.  Becket couldn’t even turn to find a place
to hide.  There was nothing they could do to avoid whatever this was.
         It passed through them and continued on
its way.  The wind failed and the night resumed
its chill.  Only he felt a fire building inside
him.  His hands and legs cramped, his face
throbbing with every second.  He stared past his
nose which stretched and pulled down at his hand
where his fingers were blending together.  Sharp
bristles spread over the back and across his
wrists.  The same bristles sprouted along his
emerging snout.  His lower eye teeth protruded from his lips as he squealed.
         He looked at William whose clothes
stretched around his misshapen body.  White curly
wool poked between the seems, and covered all but
his face.  Two spiralling horns emerged above
tapered ears, while his face distended into a
black arrow-nosed snout.  Where once had been a
man now stood a creature more reminiscent of a ram.
         Becket stared at the soldiers, and saw
that one had become some sort of dog-like
creature with mostly black fur, but rusty orange
on his chin, neck, and hands.  Three of the
others had shrunk until they looked no better
than boys ready to begin training as
squires.  And the other two sported much longer
hair and obvious breasts pushing beneath their tunics.
         William bleated in surprise as he looked
at himself, Becket, and his men. And then with an
long exhalation, the fur receded, the horns
melted away, and all of them returned to how they
had been a moment before.  Becket gasped and
flexed his fingers before rubbing them over his face.
         “What was that?” one of the soldiers
asked as he shifted about in his clothing.  As
he’d grown back to his normal age his arm had become tangled in the sleeve.
         “Did whatever that was show us what the
curses will do to us?” William pondered.  A
subtle smile played at his lips. “Becket, did I become what I think I did?”
         Becket nodded. “You were a ram, milord.”
         “A ram.” His smile broadened and he
straightened his doublet. “Ironic, but it is some consolation.”
         “Milord,” one of the other soldiers said
in a rather strangled voice. “I don’t want to become a woman.”
         “Neither do I, milord.”
         William nodded. “I do not blame either
of you.  Well, return to Midtown and wait there
for word on what I do become.  You can then
return to Mallow Horn and make sure that my children are safe.”
         They both nodded, their faces a mix of
horror and apology. “We shall, milord.”
         William looked over the rest. “Do any of you wish to leave me now?”
         Becket shook his head.  He had a fairly
good notion about what he’d become, but he would
not let that change his mind.  He’d already
committed to staying at William’s side, and he’d
never go back on his word. “I speak only for
myself, but I will stay with you, milord.”  The
other four soldiers all assured William that they were his men first.
         William smiled and sat back down.
“Good.  Let us get this fire burning again.” He
glanced at the two who had for a few seconds been
women. “Get your sleep.  Tomorrow, take two
horses and return to Midtown.” They apologized once more and did as instructed.
         While the other soldiers started on the
fire again, Becket stared at his hand.  For a
moment he’d only had two thick fingers and a
thumb.  How much longer before that was always
what he would be like?  He lifted his eyes to
William whose hard features were set and focussed
on the north.  And just what would they do now
that they would become Metamorians too?
         Those questions would be for another
day.  Becket helped sweep away the snow that had
blown over their wood and put his trust in his
returned liege.  William Dupré, even in exile and
set to be turned into a strange amalgam of man
and ram, was himself again.  It was the first happy thought he’d had in weeks.

----------

         Tugal could not remember the last time
she’d slept through the night.  Even after Kurt
Schanalein had rescued her from the brothel and
brought her to the nuns who’d cared for and
revealed to her a world she’d never known, one of
kindness, love, and faith, the nightmares of rape
kept coming back to her.  They had begun to fade
with time and with the long journey to
Metamor.  She hoped that with her arrival at
Metamor they would soon disappear altogether.
         She lay in a soft bed with warm quilts
covering her body.  She couldn’t feel anything
lower than her hips, but the pain of her wound
was still there.  Her head turned from the
ceiling to look at the others in the room.  The
fire in the hearth was long reduced to meagre
coals, but it was enough to show a faint outline
of the other nuns.  Kurt slept in the room next
door and she could hear him snoring.  A faint
smile tickled the edge of her lips.  He was just
a boy in so many ways, but she’d never met a man
worthy of being called such than he.  Certainly
Tugal, while still male, could never have compared.
         As she stared at the nuns, her thoughts
went back to what the Prime Minister had told
them that evening.  Duke Thomas would make a
final decision three day hence, which was the day
after their wedding.  If the horse lord waited
much longer, all of the nuns would be taken by
the curses and would have to stay anyway.  Kurt
had interpreted that to mean he was leaning
toward letting them stay and all the remained was finding a place for them.
         Not that the nuns worried.  On their
journey through the city, they had seen a number
of buildings that still needed repairing after
last winter’s assault from the north.  They would
claim one of those if they could.  Father Hough,
the parish priest at Metamor, has assured them
that the Keep would make a place for them, he
only had to ask it of Madog, but they preferred
being out in the city where they could more
easily enter seclusion and see those in need.
         Tugal closed her eyes, feeling ready to
face the terrors of the night, when she heard a
quiet sobbing to her left.  She rolled her head
over and stared at a cloaked figure huddled next
to her bed, hands pressed to her face.  Tears ran
through her fingers.  Tugal opened her mouth to
speak, but her tongue caught in her throat when
she recognized the insignia on the robe’s
front.  An outstretched hand with a finger
pointing downward as if he were writing.
         “Nay,” Tugal whimpered, fear grasping round her heart. “You’re dead!”
         The face turned, and before her she saw
Agathe.  Her right eye socket was empty and dark,
but the fire no longer burned within.  A look of
agony gripped her face as her one eye studied
Tugal. “Yes.  I’m dead.  Oh Tugal, please forgive
me!  I’m so sorry!  I’m so sorry!” And she thrust
her arms toward the bed, resting her hands on the
mattress and burying her face into their
crook.  She sobbed anew, chest heaving and legs
trembling where they knelt on the stone.
         “Sorry?  You!” Tugal whimpered, and then
her breathing began to slow.  Agathe looked at
her and closed her bloodshot eye in misery.  The
former man couldn’t believe what she
saw.  Before, Agathe had always had a steely
countenance, distant and remorseless.  It was as
if the woman kneeling and begging her forgiveness
was an entirely different person than the one
who’d led them on the chase through the mountains.
         “I did evil things to you, and to
everyone.  I’ve done so much evil, I want to tear
my flesh off!  I’m so dirty!” Agathe beat her
fists against her head and sobbed anew.  Not a
one of the nuns seemed to hear their exchange,
but Kurt did.  The heir to the Breckarin Duchy
stirred in the other room, and then slipped out
his door to see what was amiss.  When he saw
Agathe, he had his sword in his hand and drove the point into her back.
         The sword passed through Agathe’s body
as if she were nothing but mist and chipped into
the bed’s wooden frame. “What the?” Kurt stammered. “What is she doing here?”
         Agathe looked at the sword passing
through her middle and shook her head, still
sobbing. “Oh I am so low!  I hurt you, Tugal.  I
wanted to stop them.  I wanted to save you.  I
wanted them all dead for what they did to you, but it wouldn’t let me!”
         Tugal’s teeth clenched tightly.  This
foul Runecaster was the reason she was now a
woman and a cripple too.  Her heart burned with a
hatred she hadn’t felt since the nuns had taken her in.
         “How could I ever forgive you!” Tugal
snapped.  Kurt, on seeing that Agathe wasn’t
doing anything but weep, snatched back his
sword.  He breathed anxiously and kept his blade ready despite its uselessness.
         “I don’t know,” Agathe sobbed.  Her one
eye lifted and stared deeply at Tugal. “If I could, I would heal your wound.”
         Tugal winced, her teeth grinding
tighter. “I don’t believe you.”  And yet, she
felt something else tugging at her heart.  All
those stories the nuns had told her of Yahshua
and His Mother Yanlin, of the many Saints, and of
Eli and His love, came rushing back to her as she
stared at this sobbing woman who’d done so much
wrong.  All Agathe was asking, like so many who’d
come before Yahshua, was to be forgiven.
         Tugal took a deep breath and lifted one
hand to rub at her face. “You hurt more than just
my legs.  You destroyed the man I was.  And you
almost destroyed the woman I am.  But... I will
try to forgive you.  I am not there yet.  But I will try.”
         Agathe lowered her one eye, and gasped
another sob. “That’s more than I could expect.  I’m sorry.”
         A quick flash of light rushed past them,
and Tugal blinked in confusion.  Kurt grunted and
his body began to shrink until he looked as if
he’d lost a few years.  He blinked in confusion,
and then his eyes widened as he stared past Tugal
at the nuns.  Tugal turned over, and saw that
they too had been reshaped by Metamor’s
curses.  The eldest, Mother Brigita, had a broad
duck bill protruding from her darkened and
smoothed face.  Of the other seven sisters, three
sported beastly snouts, while four looked to be
children again.  None of them appeared to have become men.
         And then, just as quickly as the changes
had overtaken them, they faded away.  Mother
Brigita bore her wrinkled face again, and the
sisters returned to their old selves.  Kurt
regained what few years he’d lost and pointed his
sword at Agathe again. “What did you just do?”
         Agathe shook her head. “Nothing.  What
happened at Marzac would always be felt over the
world.  So much magic would make Metamor’s curses
strike, but without that magic, they cannot hold on.”
         Kurt narrowed his eyes, clearly not
understanding. “You mean the curse tried to make me a boy again?”
         Agathe nodded and sighed, her sobbing
fading into sniffling. “And if you stay here it
may still do so.  Forgive me for what I’ve done
to you.  If you can, then I know Eli will too.”
         Tugal let out a long breath and felt
herself relax. “I will try, Agathe.”
         Her last were soft ad echoed as if they
were carried on her final breath “Thank you.”
Agathe’s form faded until nothing but shadows
remained where she’d knelt.  Even the stones
where her tears had fallen were dry again.
         Kurt waved one hand through the spot and shook his head. “She’s gone.”
         Tugal laid her head back down. “I
know.  I think my nightmares will be too.”
         The boy frowned and lowered his sword.
“Do you need me to stay up with you?”
         She shook her head. “No, but thank you,
Kurt.  Get your sleep.” He muttered something
more then returned to his room.  Tugal stared at
the ceiling for a handful of breaths before a
warm dream wrapped her in sleep’s arms.  Her
heart, so weary, felt a taste of peace.

----------

         The World Bell remained pointed to the
southwest for only a few minutes before it and
the wind clawing them in the secluded garden died
away.  The massive brass bell swung back to its
resting place, quiet and still.  Elizabeth sighed
and straightened, glancing at the waters in the
fountain to see what she might recognize from the
spells.  Only they showed nothing but the gentle rippling of a brook.
         “This was not a spell as we know it,”
Elizabeth said, turning to catch the attention of
the guild master, Demarest. “Magic itself was
drawn to the southwest.  I’ve never seen — never heard! — the like of it.”
         Demarest shook his head. “Neither have
I, and that...” His eyes widened as he stared
past her toward the southwest.  Elizabeth turned
, putting one hand back on the sconce to steady
herself.  Though massive walls kept them from
seeing more than twenty paces to the southwest,
through it they saw something else unheard of.  A
long wall of magical energy, wrapped and bound
tight, spread across the plain and through
everything as it thundered to the northeast.  And
far, far away, beyond the horizon, a brilliant light shattered the heavens.
         “Eli preserve us,” Elizabeth prayed, too
frightened to do anything more.
         The magical wall drove through Marigund
and through the garden where they all stood
gaping and helpless as infants.  It felt no
different than a burst of wind, extinguishing
candles and popping witchlights as if they were soap bubbles.
         The World Bell did not ring.  It made no
sound at all.  Instead, it shattered into a
billion fragments too small to see, a brass
vapour that pulverized the trees and stone wall
behind it.  Elizabeth gasped as the shredded
branches collapsed, and the wall groaned, blocks
falling in the magic’s wake.  She could only be
grateful that none of them had been standing
there, or they’d be no more than a red smear.
         Demarest sucked in his breath and stared
with unbelieving eyes at the empty arch where the
World Bell had hung for hundreds of years.  His
voice utterly failed to sound reassuring. “I really hope that was a good sign.”
         Elizabeth looked to the southwest.  The
spire of light was gone, and so too was any sign
of magic in that direction.  To the northeast the
wall continued until it vanished beyond the
horizon.  She summoned a witchlight and the
gardens reclaimed their soft illumination. “We’re
still here,” she pointed out. “From what we’ve
learned, had things gone poorly at Marzac, we would not be here.”
         Demarest and the others could not take
their eyes off the absent World Bell. “Well let’s
find out.  And now.  I want people from Metamor
and from Yesulam to tell me what in all the hells they’ve been doing.”
         Elizabeth took a deep breath and stared
at the empty arch.  Once the others saw this,
there would be no more arguments.  She collapsed
against the pillar with a heavy sigh, all her energy suddenly spent.

----------

         Above them the world burned.  The blue
nimbus protected them from the worst of the heat
and ash, but from time to time the wind would
seep through a crack and scorch their
throats.  Jessica, already exhausted from holding
the Chateau together long enough for them to
escape, slouched against one side of the
depression and breathed slowly.  Andares tended
to the cut on her wing, pronounced it minor, and
after cleaning it let it dry in the air.
         Abafouq built a magical construct much
like a scaffold of crossed bars beneath the blue
shield that gave it strength.  This he tended
with meticulous care while the others watched him and the devastation above.
         The fireball quickly turned into a dark
cloud that towered over the plain as it
disappeared into the sky.  The inferno beneath
limned that cloud with red shadows as if it too
were burning.  After the fireball and cloud
dissipated, all that remained was the fires
consuming the swamp in every direction they
looked.  Choking smoke obscured the sky and
blotted out the stars.  The earth still trembled
like a whipped man shivering after the blows.
         Inside the depression, they huddled and
waited for the chaos to burn itself out.  Once
the afterimage of the fireball had faded from
their eyes, Guernef had drawn his wings in tight
and squawked with one long exhalation.  At first
they heard nothing.  But the magic in his voice
loosened their ears, healing the wound the roar
inflicted.  By the squawk’s end they could hear
not only his voice, but the ravenous hunger of
the fire outside.  He then erected a spell by
tugging at the air in the middle of the
depression with his claws that would keep the air
inside pure for however long they needed to
hide.  It didn’t stop the foul miasma from
seeping through, but it did stop it from doing more than burning their throats.
         Charles, sensing that the immediate
danger was past, resumed his stony flesh and
coaxed his vine to nestle within where it had
first taken root above the base of his tail.  He
felt it sinking inside, but slowly, and with less
warmth than before.  It would be a long time
before his vine was full recovered, but at least it would heal.
         He then turned his impassive attention
on the Marquis’s two servants.  The steward
Vigoreaux panted heavily and painfully clutched
his stomach, completely worn from the run.  The
castellan Sir Autrefois was stoic and eyes the
devastation above with some measure of grim
satisfaction.  Nearby, Lindsey and Kayla huddled
together, the skunk whispering soft words into
the newly-made kangaroo’s long ears.  The
kangaroo’s dark eyes occasionally turned to the
skunk, and her boxy muzzle would twitch out of
its rictus of despair.  As stone, Charles already
felt his empathy settling into a dispassionate
regard, but still he wished he could do something more for the northerner.
         Still, he returned his attention to the
Marquis’s men and said, “From the look of things,
you were being controlled as much as Zagrosek was.  What did they do to you?”
         “The Marquis or the Prince?” Autrefois asked in a grumbling whisper.
         “Either.  Both.”
         “We’ve served the house du Tournemire
our whole lives.  My father was a member of his
father’s guard, and I joined them when I was of
age.  During the civil war fifteen years ago, I
distinguished myself and Camille conferred upon
me the title Sir.  I was made his Castellan a few
years later.  Vigoreaux’s father was Steward
before him.  The Marquis never went anywhere
without us at his side.  Even into evil.”
         “And what did he hope to get out of an alliance with Yajakali?”
         “Alliance?” Autrefois snorted and shook
his head.  Beside him Vigoreaux closed his eyes
and murmured miserably. “Camille was always power
hungry, and he enjoyed making people dance on the
end of a string, but he was never evil.  He took
his responsibilities over the land very
seriously.  He risked going into Marzac because
he hoped he could cultivate the swampland and
find new sources of food.  We’d been suffering a
drought that year and very poor crops.  Many were
dying.  But once we went there, all of it was
over.” Autrefois sighed and lowered his head
between his knees.  A limb cracked overhead and
bounced off the shield sending sparks everywhere.
         The others listened in, but they all let
Charles ask the questions. “And Yajakali?  What did he want?”
         “I never knew,” Autrefois replied. “He
shut down my mind and made me do only what he
wanted me to do, but I never understood why.  The
same with all of us.  It’s like I was a different
person all those years.” He shrugged and leaned
back in the dirt.  A tremor sifted more down on
all their backs. “All I know is Yajakali killed
me and now I’m alive again.  I have no idea why.”
         “He did something,” Andares mused just
loud enough for the others to hear over the
conflagration, “that no one thought
possible.  And now we see why.  Even if he
succeeded, the magical blowback may have still destroyed him.”
         “What was he doing?” James asked.  The
donkey lay on the ground near Charles, hooves crossed at the pastern.
         Andares’s angular face folded into a
moue. “To undo a mistake.  Or at least, to undo
what he sees as his mistake.  He would have taken
Metamor’s curse and made all of mankind into
talking beasts.  To him, you are only a little
above the brutes of this earth, and should better
reflect that in your shape.  But he is gone
now.  The world can continue for the first time
in millennia without the threat of Marzac hanging
like a spectre over their shoulder.”
         “But what of us?” Lindsey said, chocking
back her sobs to glare at the Åelf. “Do you know
how many years I wished I could have become
this?  And now I have it and he’s gone!”
         Kayla put a restraining paw on the
kangaroo’s shoulder. “He will be someplace
better, Lindsey.  He didn’t want this to happen to you either.”
         Lindsey wrapped her paw around the strap
of Habakkuk’s satchel and shook it. “All he left us were letters!  I want him!”
         “You cannot,” Abafouq said softly.  The
Binoq’s eyes were on the magical lattice he’d
erected, but he turned so that he mostly faced
the kangaroo. “You cannot have him back.  Just as
I cannot have my home back.  Yajakali wanted his
world back, but he could not be having that
either.  Habakkuk gave his life to make sure Yajakali could not get it back.”
         “Shut up,” Lindsey snapped at him, tail thumping against the dirt.
         “You cannot undo what is done. Not without becoming a monster.”
         “Shut—” Lindsey’ snarl was swallowed by
the earth shaking and throwing them all down.
         Jerome bounced to his feet and stared
across the burning plain once they quake settled.
“The land’s gone.” He peered a moment more when
his eyes widened in fright and he dived back into
the depression. “I hope this shield will block water!”
         Charles scrambled up the incline and saw
immediately what his fellow Sondeckis had
seen.  The land around the Chateau had collapsed
until there was nothing but a huge pit.  The
jungle on every side was nothing but smoldering
ash.  Except the jungle to the south, which had
collapsed into a valley leading straight out to the sea.
         And with the last quake, the sea came rushing in.
         The rat’s jewelled eyes widened as he
watched the waves bear down that valley,
consuming the flames and rising in geysers of
steam as they swallowed the hottest coals.  The
land washed away, mud and filth, all of it, born
along and driving like a thousand anvils toward them.
         “Water nothing,” the stone rat scowled.
“We’re about to be buried alive!  Jessica, Abafouq!  The shield!”
         Andares helped stir the hawk, while
Abafouq and Guernef used their strength to keep
the shield steady.  Kayla squeezed Lindsey’s
shoulder one last time before leaving her to lend
her powers to the shield.  Charles stayed where
he was, granite claws digging into the earth as
the water, mud, and detritus poured into the vast
pit where once the Chateau stood.  The waves
crashed and sizzled as they sank into the
crater.  For a moment, the rat hoped the crater
would be enough.  But far quicker than he could
have imagined, the torrent spilled over the
crater’s edge like a tongue licking voluptuous
red lips as it readied to strike its next meal.
         “Here it comes,” the rat said, his voice
steady, but his tail tip twitched erratically.
         The sea crushed the blackened trees and
brush, shouldering them aside like the Rheh did
the Flatlands grasses.  Charles half imagined
Yajakali’s face screaming at them one last time
as the muck drove over their shield.  The earth
shook wit the force of it, knocking the rat
backward into the depression.  The shield
buckled, Abafouq’s magical lattice bent, but it held.
         Charles shook his head, put one paw on
James’s shoulder who stared with whitened eyes at
the chaos surging overhead, and then settled
himself in to watch.  A bit of water squirted
through a crack in the shield; Sir Autrefois
scrambled to get out of its way.  It sizzled where it struck the earth.
         “What do we do now?” James asked,
staring in befuddled stupor as the mud coated the
shield, covering it in layer after layer of debris.
         “I don’t know,” Charles admitted. “But
we have to get of here and soon.”

----------

         Nemgas blinked open his eyes to a clear
night sky.  The faces and lights that had danced
in conjunction above Cenziga were gone.  The
tower of fog that had kept them isolated from the
rest of the world lingered still, but the
uppermost reaches were drawing away, torn free by
nothing stranger than wind.  Where once the
strange mountain had stood was a barren plain of
dirt from which rose a thin stream of starry blue
light.  Nemgas blinked again, marvelling at its beauty.
         “It hath fulfilled its purpose,” an
unfamiliar voice said behind him.  Nemgas rolled
over, brushing tattered remnants of vellum from
his tunic.  Four figures whose flesh were tainted
by that blue light hovered over the body of
Grastalko.  The young man lay in the arms of a
man who did not appear much older.  Two others,
one ruddy and the other thin with a discerning
eye, worked their hands over his body, pushing
and massaging his flesh, especially his left arm
which was still blackened from fire.  All three were dressed like Midlanders.
         The fourth Nemgas knew the moment he saw
him.  He was dressed in gleaming silver armour,
with a breastplate stylized to look like fur,
gauntlets tipped with black claws, and helm
crafted to appear as the snarling jaws of a
wolf.  The Magyar exhaled in awe. “Pelain!”
         The armoured man nodded. “Thou dost know
me, as I thought thee wouldst.  Good.  I thank
thee for finding my blade and striking the evil
from Jagoduun with it one last time.”
         Nemgas looked down at his feet and saw
Caur-Merripen laying there, the silver gleaming
like a hound dog satisfied with its latest
catch.  A few feet further and he saw Dazheen
slumped on her knees and Bryone at her side
wiping cleaning her face with a cloth damp from her tears.
         “Why art thee here?” Nemgas asked.
         “We hath been freed.  The artifacts art
gone, and so nothing more dost bind us.” Pelain
gestured to the three Midlanders.  The youngest
smiled and nodded to him. “Both of thee didst
suffer much to aid us.  Thou hast not suffered in vain.”
         Nemgas managed to stand and licked his
lips. “Then ‘tis over?  The evil hath died?”
         Pelain nodded, the ruby eyes of the wolf
gleaming brighter. “Aye, ‘tis over.  A tale of
eleven thousand years hath come to a close.”
         “Where didst Cenziga go?” Nemgas
gestured to the empty plain.  The mountain’s
disappearance seemed to rip something out of his
own heart.  He had always been connected to it.  How could it be gone?
         “It hath filled the cleft made by
Yajakali.  ‘Twas its purpose.” Pelain turned to
the Midlanders and asked, “How art the boy?”
         The ruddy one leaned back and nodded.
“He’s well.  He’ll sleep for a little longer, but
the fire won’t kill him anymore.”
         “And the pain?”
         The youngest smiled peaceably. “The pain is gone too.”
         The last of the three stretched his arms
behind his back and nodded. “But he will still
have the fire.  It is all we could do for him.”
         Pelain favoured them with a faint but
proud smile. “I thank thee all, Kaleas, Marin,
and Thulin.  Thy tasks are done.  Go beyond.  Thy
Eli is waiting to receive thee.”
         Marin lowered Grastalko’s head to the
ground ever so gently, and brushed his hair back
from his face.  The boy’s visage was so peaceful
and still that had they not said otherwise,
Nemgas would have thought him lost to death. “Shall we see you there, Pelain?”
         “I pray that it wouldst be so,” Pelain
replied without a trace of anxiety.  The
Midlanders saluted him, and then their forms fell
back into the gently ascending spire of light and
were lost to sight.  Pelain watched them for
several seconds before turning back to Nemgas.
“Cenziga wast born in the moment that Yajakali
sundered the veil to the Underworld.  It wast
placed here, where it could wait unbeknownst to
the forces of Marzac.  Those few like us
permitted to climb to its summit, wert uniquely
prepared to strike that evil.  Thou hast observed this.”
         “Aye,” Nemgas agreed as he remembered
all that he’d seen in the ten months since he’d
scaled the bizarre peak. “The invisible blade
that burned Grastalko and cut Czestadt.  Thy
sword Caur-Merripen which alone could repel
Yajakali’s.  E’en this fog which didst burn the
evil out of Chamag and brought the peace of death
to Berkon and Kaspel.  I hath seen it.”
         “That evil will ne’er strike this world
again,” Pelain said. “And all that it hath wrought hath been undone.”
         Nemgas frowned and ran his fingers along
the stump of his right arm. “But what of
me?  Didst Cenziga create me?  I remember being
born amongst the Magyars, but I didst come from
Kashin of the Yeshuel.  Wilt I be undone?”
         The long dead hero in wolf armour rested
a gauntlet on his shoulder and smiled. “Memory be
but one more thing that man dost create.  E’en
so, that thou art, be it the fault of Cenziga,
hath been foreordained.  Thou art as real as
Kashin.  And thy life belongs to thee.”
         Nemgas took a deep breath.  He would
have to trust in Pelain’s word. “Thou hast
brought healing to Grastalko.  What of my boy, Pelurji?  And what of Dazheen?”
         “Another wilt tend to Dazheen.  As for
thy boy, didst thee not hear?  The evil that
smote him hath been undone.  What thy fellows
hath done for him wilt tend to the rest.” Pelain
glanced at the blue embers.  So much thinner than
they had been, soon they would gone.  Even the
fog was breaking apart. “I must leave thee
soon.  But I wilt not give thee one last word ere
I go.  The boys, Pelurji and Pelaeth wilt become
leaders of their peoples.  Thou hast seen true in
this.  I only wish that I couldst tell thee of
the legends that thy progeny wilt speak of them.”
         Nemgas reached his arm out, and the
words biding Pelain to speak more tumbled from
his tongue, but the blue limned hero of Cheskych
fell into the spire just as the three Midlanders
had.  The light lifted from the ground and
vanished into the starry night above.
         For several seconds Nemgas stared
upward, until a vast wave tore the fog around
them, a wall of light pushing it aside as it
thrust its way across the Steppe.  Nemgas spun on
his heels and saw the distant wagons.  His heart
leapt in his chest.  No more did this spot need to be hidden from mortal eyes.
         He turned to Bryone who gazed at him
with questioning eyes. “I wilt send the others
for thee.  Stay with them.  I must harken to my
son.” Bryone nodded and wiped tears from her eyes.

----------

         “I will try to climb through,” Charles
suggested.  They saw only by the cool light of
the witchlights Jessica had summoned, and now
submerged beneath the carnage brought by the sea,
they realized how little light that was.  Tired
and worn from their exertions, they had been able
to do little but lay in the muck and rest.
         “That’s mud over our heads, not stone,”
Jerome pointed out. “You can’t pass through that.”
         “I’m a rodent, I can dig through it,”
the rat replied. “I’ll have to leave my vine for
a moment, but we need to see what’s out
there.  We haven’t felt a quake since this happened.  I think it will be safe.”
         Jessica stretched her wings and lifted
her head to stare at the faint shield. “I’ll open a patch for you.  Good luck.”
         None of the others objected, so Charles
gently coaxed his vine from the small of his back
and planted it in the soil.  The end curled
around his paw to thank him and then let go.  The
rat glanced at Jerome. “Do you mind lifting me up
once I shrink?”  At Jerome’s nod, the rat allowed
himself to change into a normal sized rat, albeit
one still made from stone.  His friend held out
his palm and Charles climbed into it.  A queer
smile graced Jerome’s lips as he hoisted the rat
as high as he could reach.  Jessica concentrated
on the patch beside his head and a small bit of
the nimbus withdrew.  Charles dug his claws into
the hard packed dirt and quickly wedged himself inside.
         As soon as his entire body forced itself
inside, digging a new tunnel with stone claws, he
was reminded of the time Misha and he had played
predator and prey through the halls of
Metamor.  He’d escaped down a crack in the wall
and had nearly gone feral in his panic.  Now, as
stone, he could see past that fear and dig,
always going forward and always going up.  Alone
of his friends he could survive without food,
water, or even air.  He would risk the desolation
above for their sakes because he alone could take that risk.
         The mud was hard packed but it gave to
his claws.  Minutes dragged past, but he kept
digging.  When finally he broke through to the
surface he had lost track of time.  The world
around was dark apart from a crimson line to the
north where the jungle still smoldered.  Above
the smoke still blotted the stars.  Everything
around him was muck and filth.  Where once stood
the Chateau now lingered an inland lake and a
channel to the sea.  The air was pleasantly cool against his stony flesh.
         He willed the granite to soften and in
moments he was flesh and blood again.  He took
several deep breaths; the air was riddled with
foul scents but it was breathable.  He smiled to
himself, returned to stone, and then assumed his
six-legged form.  With all six limbs he clawed at
the muck, tossing it aside with the alacrity of a
dog searching for a buried bone.
         And that’s when he heard the voice of
his closest friend. “Thank you, Charles.”
         He spun and there standing on the
desolate plain only feet from him was Krenek
Zagrosek.  He bore the black robe of the
Sondeckis and his smile brightened the air around
him. “Krenek!  I thought you were dead.”
         “I am,” he replied without remorse.
“Truly, I was dead the moment the Marquis took me
to Marzac.  I could never have survived such a
corruption.  I’m just here to say goodbye.  And
to thank you for believing in me even when no one
else would.  I’m sorry you had to suffer so much on my account.”
         “I would gladly suffer it again for
you,” Charles replied, the words spoken before
his mind could ponder them. “And I will keep my
promise to pray for you, Agathe, and Yonson.”
         “I know.” Zagrosek looked past him and
clasped his hands before his waist. “And promise
me that you will bring Garigan to Sondeshara one
day.  He deserves to know his heritage as a Sondecki.”
         The rat frowned but nodded. “I
will.  With all that has happened, perhaps it is
time to heal that wound too.  I’ll want to bring
Ladero there as well.  My youngest child is also
a Sondecki.  I hope he hasn’t broken anything while I’ve been gone!”
         Krenek laughed warmly and then his eyes
lifted to the sky. “I am being called away,
Charles.  Walk with Yahshua all thy days, and you
will never be afraid.  Sondlatharos!”
         “Sondlatharos, Krenek.” If stone could
cry, Charles would have shed crystals from his
eyes.  Zagrosek smiled all the while he faded
into the shadowy night.  The rat stared a moment
more, but his friend did not reappear.
         He said a silent prayer for his friend
and the others destroyed by Marzac, then returned
his six limbs to digging in the close-packed mud
and debris.  It took him several minutes of
ripping dirt with granite claws to dislodge
enough earth to open a way to his friends.  Once
he had a small hole, he shouted, “Everything’s
clear up here.  I think it’s safe to come out.”
         “Do you need any help?” James shouted back up.
         “Give me a few more minutes and I’ll
have this wide enough for us all.”  And he was
right.  Jessica and Abafouq stayed behind to keep
the earth from collapsing in on them, while
Charles and Jerome helped the rest climb up to
the surface.  Andares carried the rat’s vine with
him, which Charles gratefully returned to the
small of his back.  Jerome then passed Abafouq up
even as the Binoq chanted his spells.  The
Sondecki grabbed the hawk around the middle and
leapt up the hole.  A moment after they were all
free, the earth sank into the depression with a disconsolate whump.
         “Now what?” Lindsey asked, her tone sharp, but beginning to soften.
         “Now we have to find someway out of
here.” Charles gestured to the northern jungle.
“The sea didn’t put all of the fire out.”
         “We don’t have enough supplies to trek
through the swamp again,” Kayla pointed out. “We
don’t have enough supplies to last more than a few days.”
         “I think I know way,” a rather timid
voice said.  They all turned to the Marquis’s
portly steward.  Vigoreaux flinched under the
scrutiny, but marshalled himself to speak again.
“The day before you arrived, the Marquis spoke of
the Whalish fleet defeating his forces.  Their
ships can’t be more than a day away.”
         “Where would they be?” Guernef squawked.
         “To the south,” Vigoreaux turned to
point, but turned back to the Nauh-kaee instead.
“If what his grace said about your kind is true,
you should reach them half a day at most.”
         But Guernef shook his head. “They’ll
need to see somebody they recognize.  I would be just another monster to them.”
         “I’ll go with you,” Charles said. “I’ve
been to Whales before and have met several of
their Captains.  We should be able to find one that will listen.”
         Guernef look him up and down and
suggested, “Only if you assume a smaller form.”
         The rat returned to his two legged
stance, and then climbed onto the offered
back.  Jerome stood at his side and patted him on
his granite back. “We’ll keep a signal light so
you can find your back to us.  Eli go with you.”
         “And with you, my friend.”
         Charles buried his face in feathers as
the Nauh-kaee leapt into the smoky air and beat
his wings, angling toward the distant southern sea.

----------

         The Magyars all stared in gaped-faced
wonder as the fog was blown away and no ominous
mountain stood anymore.  Nemgas saw Hanaman rush
toward him with Pelgan and Gamran on his heels.
“Tend to Dazheen!” he shouted, jerking his thumb
over his shoulder. “All art well!  The mountain
hath fulfilled its purpose!  Thou hast no need to fear!”
         They each appeared to understand and
while they still hesitated, they ran toward the
unconscious seer.  Nemgas, heart trembling
anxiously, ran to the wagons.  He darted amongst
them until he found the one he wanted, jumped to the door, and barged inside.
         He found Kisaiya kneeling next to the
bed in which lay the emaciated Pelurji.  She
snapped her head around, long hair flinging over
the sheets, and then let out a long breath.  It
seemed to go on forever, as if she hadn’t let it
go since Nemgas had left her side earlier that
night.  Nemgas crossed to her and knelt next to her.  Pelurji did not stir.
         He ran his one hand down her back to
comfort her. “The evil hath been lifted, Kisaiya.  All art well.”
         She rested her head against his and trembled. “I didst hear shouting.”
         “The mountain be gone,” he replied,
kissing her forehead softly. “The evil hast been
defeated and can no longer return.” He glanced at
the boy and felt his heart tighten in his chest.
“Pelurji shouldst awake.  Oh my boy, please wake!”
         Kisaiya sniffled and shook her head. “It
hath been so long now.  Who couldst survive asleep for so many months?”
         Nemgas ignored her fear, and with gentle
hand stroked it across the boy’s face. “Come, my
Pelurji.  My son.  Come back to me.” He leaned in
closer and brushed the back of his fingers along
the boy’s cheek.  Pale and withdrawn, they
nevertheless warmed to his touch.  Nemgas closed
his eyes in quiet prayer to any god who would
listen.  His last was said to Kashin’s god,
Eli.  Eli’s son Yahshua came back from the
dead.  Could but a similar miracle be worked for his boy?
         “Nemgas!” Kisaiya gasped in sudden fright.
         He felt it before he saw it.  Against
his knuckles Pelurji’s cheek moved of its own
accord.  He smiled, his heart slowing, finally
content.  Pelurji blinked at the light, and
weakly tried to lift one arm beneath the sheets
before giving up and letting it fall back
down.  Those eyes looked down and saw Nemgas, and
a smile came to his lips. “Father Nemgas,”
Pelurji said, voice young and full of delight. “I killed a dragon!”
         Nemgas choked back a laugh and nodded.
“Aye, thou didst that.  That and more,
Pelurji.  I doubt that wilt be the greatest feat
that wilt be laid at thy hands in the years to come, my son.”
         Pelurji frowned as he tried to move his
arm again. “Why canst I lift my arm?”
         Kisaiya hugged Nemgas tight, her eyes
wet with tears as she stared at the boy woken
from an eight month slumber.  Nemgas stroked his
forehead and sighed. “Thou art very weak.  The
battle didst put thee into a deep sleep from
which thee has only just arisen.  I wilt help
thee regain thy strength, my son.  Thou shouldst
not fear that.  Nor anything else.  I hath won
thee back.  Ah, praise be the gods I hath my son back!”
         And with a shout of joy, Nemgas wrapped
his arm around Pelurji’s back and pulled him to
his chest.  Kisaiya wrapped her arms about them
both as best she could.  All their hearts beat together in joy.