[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXX

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sat Jan 3 17:58:03 EST 2009

And here we have another Chapter.  Things are
getting exciting!  I hope to have a new chapter
every two weeks until this is done.

The rating on this one may be too much for
MK.  If so, let me know and I'll tone it
down.  You'll know what I'm talking about.

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LXX

The Last Felikaush

         The staircase leading down from the
entrance hall had no lanterns to guide their
way.  Neither had Habakkuk or Lindsey carried
any, and with their friends lost in the Chateau’s
illusions, they could only rely on what ambient
light came from above and their sense of
touch.  Habakkuk, who could wear no shoes, took
each step first.  His feet were long enough that
his toes curled over the edge of each
step.  Gingerly he would lean forward, long tail
lifting but still dragging on the steps behind
them, and lower one foot until it met the cold stone of the next step.
         Lindsey and he kept hand ad paw firmly
clasped together.  The kangaroo’s claws dug
lightly against the flesh callused and chapped
from his years on the timber crews.  With his
free hand Lindsey dragged his fingers against the
smooth wall to steady them.  Although they’d only
started down the stairs not even a minute past,
already the darkness was too thick for his human
eyes to penetrate.  And since kangaroos were
animals of the sun, Habakkuk’s eyesight was
little better in so tenebrous a place.
         “Shouldn’t we try to make some sort of
light?” Lindsey asked in a voice even quieter
than the scrape of Habakkuk’s toe claws.
         He could feel more than see his
companion and guide turn.  Habakkuk was now only
a dim shadow in the blackness of the endless
stair, a thing of faint lines and denser
presence.  The soft russet fur on his arm brushed
Lindsey’s own and a sigh escaped his long muzzle.
“Everything is coming together now. The Hall of
Unearthly Light is below.  There will be light
again.  At the very least, the Marquis had to
have some light for his passage.  Just, trust me
now and we’ll get through this.”
         “I trust you, Zhypar.”
         The kangaroo squeezed his hand a little
and then continued into the darkness.  Lindsey
stared wide-eyed into the abyss.  His eyes were
adjusting to the darkness and he could still make
out the faint line of the next few steps.  But
with each step they faded more and more from
view.  In another minute he knew there would be
nothing to see at all.  Each step already took
several seconds to make. How long and how careful
would they need to be once all the light went
out?  Would the stairs disappear completely
beneath them?  Would they be trapped in some
labyrinth with only their hands and paws to guide
them?  The very notion of it made him squeeze Habakkuk’s paw tighter.
         “Do you remember,” Habakkuk said softly
and with uncanny warmth, “when Charles told us of
his journey beneath Metamor?  Last year during
the assault the other rats had found a passage
that led north to Glen Avery.  Do you remember him telling us that?”
         Lindsey nodded, carefully setting his
right boot on the next step.  The left followed
more quickly.  His mind turned back to one of the
many nights on their journey around the fire
talking of others things while they ate their
evening meal.  A slight smile came to him. “I
remember.  He said the walls were black and
smooth as pearl.  Kayla said Andwyn had teams explore some of those passages.”
         “That’s right.  And they were no threat
to Metamor because they couldn’t be opened from
the passage if locked outside.” Habakkuk took the
next step and then added, “I remember Charles
saying how long it took to traverse the
passage.  Just think how much farther we’ve come
in these last six months.  An entire
continent!  I daresay there are two or three
others at the Keep who can say as much as we
can.  But this stair reminds me of Charles’s
passage.  Only we know this will end and end soon.”
         Lindsey wasn’t so sure about that.  He
couldn’t se anything at all anymore.  Tentatively
he set his foot down on the next step.  The wall
beneath his right fingers felt smooth apart from
places were another mineral had been worked into
grooves.  That other mineral felt soft but firm
like lead. “How do you know it will end soon?  Did you foresee it?”
         “No, but I remember what Abafouq
translated in Qorfuu.  The Hall of Unearthly
Light was beneath the city.  The Chateau was
built over top of the city’s ruins.  So first we
must pass the layer of ruins before we reach the
Hall.  It cannot be much further.”
         Lindsey felt somewhat comforted by that
as they walked.  The seconds drew into minutes
and the darkness persisted.  His fingers
alternated clawing at the wall and just sliding
across it.  He rubbed his other fingers across
the back of Habakkuk’s paw.  But other than the
sound of Habakkuk’s claws and tail scraping over
the stone stairs, all he could hear was their own breath.
         The kangaroo began whispering under his
breath. “Lucnos... matraluc... gold, quicksilver,
plumbum.”  He repeated them again, the first two
drawn out as if Habakkuk were savouring the way
they rolled off his tongue, the others quick like
bolts from a crossbow.  “Lucnos... matraluc... gold, quicksilver, plumbum.”
         “What are those?” Lindsey whispered.
         “Luc... the minerals Yajakali used in
his weapons.  Lucnos meant light of night.  And
Matraluc was mother of light.  There...” the
kangaroo’s voice trailed away and he stood still
for a moment.  Lindsey glanced where he knew
Habakkuk would be but of course he saw
nothing.  When his friend spoke again, the voice
was so quiet that only in that place where no
other sound existed could he have heard him. “Light.  Look below.”
         He stared down the staircase and at
first didn’t understand what he was
seeing.  Somewhere far below he saw thin lines
that narrowed even as they brightened.  His heart
quickened and he knew them at last.  The
steps!  Somewhere below there was light!  He took
a long slow breath and squeezed Habakkuk’s paw. “At last.”
         “I’d rather the stair continue
forever.  When we reach that light we face the
very end.”  Nevertheless, Habakkuk resumed
climbing down the steps.  What enthusiasm for the
light Lindsey had died with those forlorn words
from the kangaroo.  He kept his grip on the paw tight and followed him down.
         The light steadily grew and within a
minute Lindsey could see Habakkuk’s outline
again.  Still their guide set one long foot
gingerly down on the next step, a step they both
could see limned by a warm yellow light.  If
anything, he seemed to take each step slower than
the last.  Lindsey sighed and leaned closer to
whisper, “We cannot delay the end forever.  We
have to stop the Marquis and we don’t know what’s become of the others!”
         Habakkuk lowered his long ears, eyes
narrowing with a look of profoundest sorrow. “You
speak true, my love, my northern flame.  You
speak true.  Let us be done with it then.” His
manner became resolute so quickly that Lindsey
couldn’t help but wonder if some he’d reached
some great decision.  No longer did he scout out
the steps but noted each merely by sight and
trusted to what the light revealed.
         Within another minute the light grew
bright enough that they could see details along
the walls that had before been invisible except
to Lindsey’s touch.  Crisscrossing the walls as
if it were ivy were bands of some inlay.  It had
a dull luster even in the yellow light, though it
was subtly brighter than the stone in which it
had been set.  The design was intricate with the
familiar delicacy that they’d seen in the ancient city of Ava-shavåis.
         “We must be getting cl...” the words did
on his tongue as he saw the stairs reach their
end.  The yellow light pooled at the bottom and a
circular arch led into another hallway.  Lindsey
swallowed and stared.  No longer needing
Habakkuk’s help, they descended the last steps together.
         Lindsey didn’t know what to expect when
they reached the bottom.  But the long hall
inlaid with the dull metal and interspersed with
flaming torches was not it.  The hall stretched
so long that they couldn’t make out its end
despite the light.  The northerner let out a sigh
of relief and paused, yanking the kangaroo back a
pace. “What is it?” Habakkuk asked, still speaking in hushed tones.
         “This metal,” Lindsey replied, stroking
his fingers over the grey inlay.  It felt soft
and pliable beneath his fingers. “It’s just
common lead.  I thought you said it was supposed
to glow with an unearthly light?”
         Habakkuk sighed and nodded. “It did
once.  What the Binoq carved in Nafqananok told
of how the prince laid lucnos in the walls of his
sanctum sanctorum.  But it also said how the
lucnos could change lead into gold, but
eventually the gold all became lead again.  It
seems that even lucnos shared that
fate.  Come.  We should not marvel.  This place is evil.”
         Lindsey turned back to the kangaroo and
together the two of them walked down the long
hall.  The end of the hall never revealed itself,
but only grew brighter with each passing
step.  The walls darkened beneath the scowl of
such brilliance.  Both of them lifted an arm to
shield their eyes as the passage dwindled to
nothing but that shining golden radiance.
         And then they blinked and all the world
came into view again.  The hall opened into a
large chamber festooned with the scrollwork
pattern along ceiling, wall and floor.  The stone
was smooth as glass but firm.  Nine columns in
the shapes of vast trees rose along the perimeter
of the chamber.  Their branches crawled together
over the ceiling through the leaden inlay and
seemed to bear thin fern-like leaves.  Set into
each tree was one of the nine chevrons also in lead.
         Their eyes were drawn not to the feat of
artistry to sculpt stone so delicately, but to
that which hulked in the centre of the
chamber.  A circular platform of marbled stone
stood on nine legs over a crack in the
floor.  The crack was not so much a chasm as an
emptiness where the floor should have
been.  Straight but jagged edges spread out like
a fist punched into ice and within each nothing
existed but a darkness more profound than they had faced even on the staircase.
         Resting atop the platform was a golden
dias with nine stanchions at each of its nine
corners.  A nine sided lacuna in its centre
waited for something to fill it.  Lines of a
strange speckled grey mineral led from each
stanchion to the central depression.  Atop each
stanchion was a different coloured gem all dark
despite the preternatural glow reflected in the
gold.  At the base of each stanchion one of the
nine chevrons had been inscribed.  Along the rest
of the dias pictographs of demons and monsters
cavorted in every vice imaginable to man, and
many beyond even the blackest desires of man.
         Before them rested in malevolent regard
the Dias of Yajakali.  And beneath it so tranquil
and menacing, the very crack in existence Yajakali had created.
         “Great Eli help us,” Habakkuk stammered,
his brown eyes wide and his fur trembling in fright.
         “You are quite beyond anyone’s help
here, Felikaush.” The mocking tone was
unmistakable.  Turning their heads, hand and paw
still clasped, Lindsey and Habakkuk beheld the
Marquis du Tournemire emerge from behind one of
the pillars.  In one hand he carried his deck of
cards, and his fingers methodically moved the top
card to the bottom with the nimbleness of a trickster.
         Lindsey reached for his axe with his
free hand and immediately felt his muscles
constrict.  The Marquis smiled with supreme
amusement. “You do recall what I made you do to
that donkey the last time we met.  I could have
you strangle the Felikaush here just as easily.”
         Lindsey’s heart sank.  The control in
the cards was complete.  Beside him Habakkuk
glared but also stayed perfectly still. There was
nothing either of them could do to the
Marquis.  Slowly, his arm descended back to his
side where it lingered harmlessly.  This appeared
to satisfy the Marquis. “You do remember.  How
delightful.  And how interesting that it would be
the two of you to reach the Hall of Unearthly
Light first.  Your companions are quite lost and
I fear they may not join us in time to watch what I have in mind for you.”
         “And what is that?” Habakkuk sneered
through his snout.  Lindsey tried to move his
tongue but found that it remained fixed.  Why was
the Marquis letting Habakkuk talk and not him?
         Tournemire laughed, a sound that grated
on their ears. “You, the last of the Felikaush, a
race singularly gifted with the art of prophecy,
must ask me what will come to pass?  Don’t you already know what I intend?”
         “I do not know everything,” Habakkuk admitted with disdain.
         The Marquis spread his cards between his
hands and studied the kangaroo for a moment
before continuing his diatribe. “No, you don’t do
you.  I can feel it in your mind, all the various
possibilities coming together now.  Everything is
leading up to what will happen tonight.  Yet
still you cling to the hope that you will stop
me.  You can see that you won’t, but you still hope for it.”
         “You see only what you want to see,
Marquis,” Habakkuk replied with acid in his
voice. “You have no understanding of the future.”
         The Marquis moved away from the pillar
and walked toward them.  Behind him they could
see his Castellan and Steward propped against the
wall as still as statues.  There didn’t appear to
be anyone else in the room, but the Marquis was
more than enough.  Though quite a bit shorter
than Lindsey, he still managed to look down his nose at the both of them.
         “No understanding?  It is I more than
anyone in the world who has shaped the
future.  You, Felikaush, have done nothing but
watch what I have set in motion come to
pass.  Even your precious Åelf has wasted
centuries watching the stars move without
realizing he could stretch out his hand and shape
them.  You’ve done nothing for the future.”
         The Marquis spread his hands wide and
the deck of cards hung in the air between them as
if laying upon an invisible table.  His smile
mocked their paralysis. “It was I who
orchestrated moving the Censer to Metamor and
turning Loriod against your precious Duke.  It
was I who arranged the assassination of Patriarch
Akabaieth.  It was I who drove Breckaris to
invade Sathmore.  It was I who instigated civil
war in the Southern Midlands.  It was I who
turned Whales mighty and unconquerable fleet
against itself.  And it is I whose actions have
created whatever future this world might
have.  And it is I who pull your strings this
night.  It is I who decide whether you shall live
or die.  What can you do?  What have you
done?  Trade messages by carrier pigeon with your equally inept conspirators?”
         Habakkuk lowered his eyes and ears. “I have thwarted you.”
         “Hah!” The Marquis leaned his head back
and crossed his arms.  The cards remained before
him. “You move your tongue only because I give
you leave.  You cannot thwart me.”
         “But it has already come to pass. I am
here.  My friends will be here soon.  And
besides, everything you touch fails.  Not a
single one of your schemes has succeeded.”
         The Marquis lowered his eyes and shook
his head. “What delusions are you spouting, Felikaush?”
         “I don’t have to change the world to
thwart you. That is where you’re mistaken.  A
touch here or there is all that is needed.  Your
allies understood this.  It was all that Marzac
would allow them.  A touch unnoticed has undone
every one of your plans.  Loriod indulged his
worst tendencies to turn the Duke against him
before your plan to install him on the throne
could succeed.  Had you succeeded, you could have
tied the Censer to Metamor at your leisure
instead of sacrificing one of your allies to do
it.  You didn’t succeed.  You barely hung on to what you had.”
         The Marquis idly began flipping through
his cards.  He’d stare at the face then toss them
into the air where they floated untended. “Loriod
was a fool.  His mistakes were not because he
sought to undermine me.  His mistakes were
because he thought himself more important than
me.  And yet I still tied the Censer.  You may
remember.  You were there with all of your
friends.  You could do nothing to stop me.”
         Habakkuk snorted, ears lifting with
renewed liveliness. “Your other allies betrayed
you too.  Yonson insured that a book revealing
the secrets of the hyacinth found its way into my
possession.  It was a book I translated, which he
gave to Jessica, knowing the only one who could
translate it at Metamor was me.  It led me
inexorably to discover the hyacinth you had him
place at Metamor to store magical energy.  With
it destroyed, your plot to turn the Duke into a
willing beast of burden failed.  And you were
forced to come to Metamor yourself to tie the
Censer.  Yonson betrayed you in the only way he
could, sneaking out a critical piece of the puzzle.”
         “You are starting to bore me, Felikaush.”
         “Agathe betrayed you by keeping Tugal
alive and taking her to Breckaris where she could undo our confinement.”
         The Marquis studied his nails. “I
deliberately left Agathe there so that you could
kill her.  I knew she’d summon the Pillars.  I
used you to help me gain their power.”
         “But you intended one of us to be struck
down in the fight.  Tugal took the blow meant for
us.  And let us not forget the innumerable ways
that Zagrosek has undermined you.”
         “And he is now dead.  Which brings us to
you, Zhypar Habakkuk.” The Marquis pulled a card
out of the deck and twirled it on the end of one
finger. “The last of the Felikaush.  A sad
pathetic creature.  I’ve seen your thoughts and
your dreams.  You do what you do because you
believe you must.  And you have shown great
fidelity in your quest to thwart me, even if your
efforts have been in vain.  Yet, deep inside, you
still want something.  Something very special to
you.  There is something missing in you, and it
stands as a raw wound upon your soul.”
         Tournemire laid one hand upon his
doublet over his heart and his eyes twinkled with
burlesque humour. “But I am not without
sympathy.  I will help grant you this day that which you’ve always hoped for.”
         “And what is that?”
         The Marquis pulled a second card out of
the deck and glanced at Lindsey. “You were once
female.  I have seen between you more than just a
friendship.  Before the curses of Metamor changed
you, you were contemplating marriage.  The Last
Felikaush had found the one person who he could
truly love after so long a time running from the
pains of his lost family and city.  Together, he
need not be the Last Felikaush anymore.  His line
could continue, and his family’s sacred charge would not need be lost.
         “But then Metamor made Lindsey a man and
you couldn’t be together.” The Marquis pressed
the card to his face and lowered his eyelids as
if he were crying. “Truly a story that bards
would sing of if only they knew your misery.”
         “I want no favours from you!”
         The Marquis stepped closer and patted
the kangaroo on the jowl. “Ah, but I am your
host.  You as a guest must accept the gift of the
host.  Is that not the laws of hospitality where you come from?”
         Lindsey felt ready to explode
inside.  All he wanted to do was grasp his axe
and cleave this hideous man’s head in twain.  But
Habakkuk, so strong that he was, kept his voice
steely and firm. “You do not give gifts.  You give curses.”
         “Metamor gave you the curse.  I will
lift it.” Lindsey immediately wondered how he
planned to do that. “You doubt me?  Merely
because your lackwit mages cannot understand the
conflux of spells they live under does not mean
that it is a knot that cannot be undone.  The
curse of Metamor is but a plaything and I can
twist it however I will.  And I will that this
great wound on your heart be made whole.”
         The Marquis let the other cards in his
deck lazily float around him while he took a
single card and spun it so that Lindsey could see
the face.  Seven hearts surrounded a central
figure of a man with braided red beard and
axe.  The figure was unmistakeably Lindsey. “Now
let us see what happens when the curses of Metamor are lifted.”
         He pressed his fingers to the side of
the card as if he were plucking a bit of
hair.  Lindsey felt his body tense and a thousand
hands jabbed into his flesh.  His beard lifted
and yanked clean from his face.  His hair was
pulled down his back.  A burning sensation in his
groin pressed ever inward like a hook jostling
his innards to loosen the blubber.  Iron rods
pierced his chest and drew it out.  All the
while, his tongue yearned to scream but the
Marquis’s control prevented him from uttering a sound.
         The Marquis spun the card on his
fingertip.  When it stopped, the image was
grossly changed.  Gone was the beard, the axe,
and the man.  In its place was a northern woman,
broad of shoulder and hip, with ruddy jowls and
long red hair.  Lindsey recognized the woman who
he’d once been before the curses had changed
him.  And then, he felt a hand reaching up and stroking his smooth cheeks.
         Smooth?
         The Marquis stepped back a pace and
Lindsey found that he could control himself a
little bit.  He spread his hands over his body,
exploring and noting very quickly that the
Marquis had spoken true.  Lindsey was no longer
the man he’d been for the last eight years.  She
was now the woman she’d been born to be.
         “How?” her voice was still rough and
uncultured, but unmistakeably feminine.  She
could see a look of total anguish in Habakkuk’s face.
         “The curse is easy to manipulate,” the
Marquis replied with an amused sneer. “However, I
don’t think the last Felikaush fully appreciates
my gift to him.  He needs to see more of you.  Now, let’s help him.”
         Lindsey felt the Marquis’s control guide
her hands again.  Her tongue kept behind her
teeth while she set her axe on the ground, then
loosed the straps of her pack and dropped it atop
the axe.  Habakkuk tried to turn his face away,
but the Marquis kept his gaze fixed on Lindsey as
she took off her attire one piece at a time.  In
only moments, Lindsey stood with arms spread wide
bearing nothing and revealing all of her once lost femininity.
         Habakkuk’s lips opened in a soft moan, “Lhindesaeg.”
         Hearing her given name made her flesh
tremble.  Lindsey had changed it to something
easier on Midlander tongues when she’d gone to
Metamor and it had remained a secret between her
and Habakkuk since.  His eyes, brown and soft,
vacillated between long denied desire and utter agony.
         “Now, Felikaush, your love is before
you,” the Marquis said with a sickly warmth. “Can
you not find it in yourself to respond to that
desire you have long thought lost?”  As if a tree
finally giving way to the woodsman’s axe,
Habakkuk tore at his clothes with feverish
passion.  He shucked his pack, ripped a pants
seam in his haste, and then doffed his tunic in a
pile behind him.  The black spider-like scar on
his side shimmered in the golden light from the dias.
         “Lhindesaeg!” His voice, throaty and
guttural, nevertheless carried with it a tone of
love.  Lindsey’s heart nearly broke at the
conflict within him How could there ever be a
worse time and place for their love to be rekindled?
         But her tongue moved to echo his sultry
sentiment. “Zhypar!”  She flung herself into his
arms at the Marquis’s command, and shuddered
against his furry chest.  His paws stroked down
her smooth skin, playing through her now long hair.
         “No, this isn’t quite right,” the
Marquis said with mocking regret. “One curse
still separates you from true union.  Lindsey is
human, but you, Felikaush, are part beast.  This
will not do.  There is something else in your
mind, a fancy I take delight in.  The curse I see
upon you can easily be shared.  There will be no
copulation between man and beast.  As I am your
master, you shall be my beasts.”
         Habakkuk’s arms tightened around her as
the Marquis spun the card again.  Her body
spasmed with sudden pain, as hands grasped every
part of her and twisted it afresh.  Her ears were
tugged upward like hot candlewax; her nose and
lips drawn forward by grappling hook.  Her feet
were crushed and then rolled out long and
thin.  Something jabbed a hole into her belly.  A
tickling sensation ran across all her flesh as a
scarlet coat of fur grew in.  And her back was
pushed forward as chains dragged a weighty tail from her rump.
         When the card stopped spinning, the
Seven of Hearts featured a red-furred female
kangaroo.  Lindsey could see that same fur on her
changed arms.  Her new snout obscured the front
of her wider vision, and she felt awkward on her
legs.  The tail kept swaying back and forth and
she kept having to shift her ungainly feet back
and forth to keep from falling over.  All through
it Habakkuk held her as best he could, his eyes
fighting the beastly passion the Marquis’s whim stirred.
         “Much better.  Now, onto the dais with
you that you might sanctify it with your carnal
nature.  Go on.  Hop on up.” Lindsey stared as
Habakkuk fell back a pace, his body shifting into
the full animal form.  His arms shrank, thumb
disappearing, as his hips swelled and posture
forced him lower to the ground.  He turned to the
dias and mechanically hopped onto its golden
surface.  Lindsey found herself forced into the
same beastly shape and followed after him with a gait that matched.
         The Marquis sighed and let go of all his
cards.  They circled him slowly, some face out
and some face in.  His smile filled them with
despair even as his cards filled them with lust.
“And now be together as the beasts you are.”
         Lindsey found herself leaning forward,
unfamiliar tail rising behind her.  Habakkuk
snuffled along her backside, his paws brushing
across her sides and finding purchase, while what
emerged between his legs sought that which the
curses had taken away from her eight years
past.  Lindsey warbled an animal’s cry but could
do nothing more as Habakkuk and she came together.
         Her long ears were filled with the
grunting of her lover and the laughter of the vile Marquis du Tournemire.

         Kayla jostled her arms but they remained
firmly fixed on the decaying chest of the raccoon
Rickkter.  Her lover’s green eyes, once vibrant,
dominant, and a touch mischievous, now glowed a
sickly colour that reminded her of the fungus
she’d seen growing beneath the Binoq
mountains.  His claws, grey and long, fumbled at
her jerkin but the tough leather kept them from scaping her chest.
         Through her arms, what life Rickkter had
left, what thoughts, what hopes, what of anything
was drawn into Kayla’s body.  Of all that she had
experienced both in her youth, her days at
Metamor, and in the six months travelling to
Marzac, she’d never experienced anything so
horrifying as stealing a life.  Not even the
Marquis’s torturous powers frightened her more
than this.  She experienced all Rickkter’s
thoughts of love for her turn into cries of terror and fright.
         Yet, as if somehow he was still trying
to love her, his thoughts kept turning to the
bracer around Kayla’s arm.  It had been a gift
from Rickkter to her shortly before the events of
the Summer Solstice struck him down and forced
her to leave Metamor.  She’d never given it much
thought — the dragon swords had been far more
interesting even when they weren’t talking to her
— but now it seemed important.  She angled her
arm to get a good look at the bracer.  Fashioned
from sturdy metal with runes inscribed along the
back, it still appeared to be no ore than a
decorative work.  Though it fit comfortably,
there was a gap between her forearm and the metal that she could see through.
         And then she stared through it, the
shock of what she saw, or didn’t see, snapping
her mind out of the numbing terror of the undead
Rickkter clawing at her chest.  She should have
seen his desiccated and mangy fur, but all she
saw was the dull, dusty stones of Marzac.
         Marzac!  She was in Marzac!
         As soon as the sight came to her,
Rickkter and the walls of Metamor
disappeared.  She stood alone in the entrance
chamber to the Chateau Marzac.  The door was
closed and latched.  Behind her she saw a long
set of stairs descending into darkness.  Their
plan had worked!  She could go to the Hall of
Unearthly Light.  But what had happened to her friends?
         Resting one paw on the hilt of
Clymaethera, the skunk turned about,
monochromatic tail swinging behind her
head.  Apart from the tenebrous staircase the
entrance chamber was completely barren.  But was
this true or was it merely another aspect of the
magic closing the door had summoned?
         Kayla peered down at the braced and
wondered.  Slowly, she lifted it and peered
between the top curve and her upper arm.  Turning
on one paw, she swept across the room.  Brief
flashes of colour met her eyes and her leapt in
her chest.  Her friends were there trapped in
their own illusions!  How could she free them though?
         She settled on the nearest.  James the
donkey had drawn his sword and was stabbing down
into the empty air with dark eyes wild with
anger.  What could he be seeing?  The memory of
undead Rickkter assured her it was better if she
didn’t know. Gingerly, she reached forward and
tried to grab him on one shoulder.
         And then he was there.  He stared down
at the ground and blinked.  Turning his head to
one side he saw her and he let out a gasp of air.
“Kayla!  What’s happened?  Oh Eli, what have I
been doing!” The agony in his voice tore at her
heart, but she couldn’t risk letting him fall apart on her now.
         “It’s all illusion,” she replied,
sliding her paw down over his shoulder blade to
comfort the distraught equine. “The Chateau is trying to destroy our resolve.”
         James took several deep breaths and then
nodded. “Where’s everyone else?”
         “In the room.  I can see them through
this.” She lifted her hand to show the donkey the
bracer.  But as soon as she broke contact with him he vanished from sight.
         With a strangled cry, she stuck out her
hand again and he appeared.  The donkey shuddered
and put his hoof-like hands over his long snout. “Oh, Eli!  It came back!”
         Kayla frowned and with her other paw
grabbed James by the hand. “I think we have to
keep touching.  Come.  We’ll find the
others.”  James nodded, his face drooping and
morose.  Whatever he’d seen and done still
haunted him.  He sheathed his blade and followed
after the skunk as she scanned the room.
         Just behind them she found the
rat.  He’d turned to stone again and appeared
half-sunk in the floor.  She rested her paw on
top of his head and the familiar cold granite
appeared.  His movement was slow and ponderous
like the rock he’d become.  Behind her, James
groaned like a man guilty of some terrible indiscretion.
         “What happened?” his voice droned in the
steady rhythm they’d grown used to during his
time trapped as living stone.  He blinked jewel eyes.
         “The Chateau is using illusion against
us,” Kayla replied. “I can see the others but I
have tot ouch them to free them.  James, can you
take Charles’s paw and keep him with us?”
         Beneath her fingers she felt warmth
spreading through his stony flesh.  And then,
pinpricks of fur prodded her paw pads.  Soon,
colour returned to the rat and fur replaced the
stone.  He nodded to them and sliding his paws
along Kayla’s arm, moved over to James who
appeared hesitant at first to take his paw, but a
smile from the rat ended whatever uncertainty lurked in the donkey’s heart.
         Kayla peered through the bracer and
frowned. “I thought Habakkuk and Lindsey were
right over here, but I don’t see them.  Ah,
there’s Andares.” Together the three of them
crossed the room to whee te younger Åelf had once
stood.  Kayla reached out her arm and wrapped her
paw around his upper arm.  The Åelf appeared and
after blinking a few times to clear his eyes,
smiled.  His high-cheek boned face conveyed both
a note of sadness along with his greater relief.
         “Thank you, Kayla.”
         Kayla gestured with a twitch of her head
and tail behind her to where the other two stood.
“We have to keep touching or the illusion returns.  Grab Charles’s paw.”
         “It would be better,” the rat suggested,
“if we were to hold each other’s tails.  That
will give us animal Keepers each a free hand.”
         “Good idea,” Kayla agreed.  She gave
James’s hook-like hand a quick squeeze before
letting him slide it up her arm, down her back,
and along her tail until he tightened his grip on
its end.  It felt very strange to have anyone
other than Rick probing her tail, but this was
not the time to belabour rules of modesty.
         Charles took a few steps around after
wrapping one paw around the donkey’s tail and
waved his own near to where the Åelf
stood.  Andares grabbed the scaly end in one hand
and nodded to them. “Where are the others?”
         “I’m looking,” Kayla replied.  She saw
both Guernef and Abafouq a short distance ahead
and walked toward them.  She felt a slight tug on
her tail as the others did the same.
         Both the Binoq and the Nauh-kaee were
grateful for being rescued.  Abafouq had tears
drying on his cheeks.  With a bit of jostling —
Andares took James’s tail, Charles took his hand,
while with one hand Abafouq held the rat’s tail
and his other arm was wrapped about the
Nauh-kaee’s neck — they managed to link hand,
paws and tails and continue toward the door.
         Jerome gasped with relief when freed and
took up carrying the Nauh-kaee’s lion-like
tail.  Jessica was similarly relieved and let
Jerome cradled the tips of her wing
feathers.  But of the ancient Åelf or Habakkuk and Lindsey there was no sign.
         “I can’t say Qan-af-årael disappearing
really surprises me,” Charles admitted with
whiskers atwitter. “It worries me, but doesn’t
surprise me.  But where did Lindsey and Habakkuk
go?  You said that the rest of us were still in
the same place we’d been when the door was shut.”
         Kayla shook her head, ears and whiskers
folding back. “I don’t know.  They were right
behind us but they aren’t there anymore.”
         “I saw Habakkuk put his paw on Lindsey’s
shoulder before the door was closed,” Andares
said softly. “Perhaps they were never consumed by
the phantasms of this evil Chateau?”
         “Perhaps,” Kayla admitted.  She didn’t
remember that, but they had been standing behind
her. “Do you think they’ve already gone ahead of us?”
         “We do have noses,” the rat pointed out
as he tugged himself toward the staircase. “Let
me sniff and learn.”  The line moved as best they
could to the top of the stairs.  Charles bent
over, drawing Andares down with him to keep
touching.  He brushed his whiskers and nose
across the top step and drew in what scents he
could.  Apart from the mustiness of the place, he
could discern the faint earthiness he’d always
associated with his kangaroo friend.  He
straightened. “They did indeed go down before us.”
         “Then we need to follow,” Kayla
said.  She peered into the dark and glanced back. “But we need light.”
         “I will tend to that.” Jessica lifted
her free wing and three bright globes of light
emerged from her wing feathers.  They hovered in
the air, until two broke away.  One flew ahead of
Kayla and stopped, while the other danced a few
feet over Charles’s head. “It will be easier than
lighting and carrying a lantern.”
         Kayla nodded and set her paw on the
first step. “Then let’s go down.  We don’t have
much time left.”  She kept the bracer before her,
but for once it showed her nothing hidden.  The
stairs were at least real.  But how far ahead were their friends?

         The ivory road widened some as
Qan-af-årael neared the glittering crown of the
world.  The city of Jagoduun rose from the forest
with ziggurat towers and arcades of brilliant
marble and chalcedony.  Jade spires and golden
capstones reflected the sunlight both above and
below, while crystals of the most luminous hue
sparkled with mellifluous array over those
arcades.  Precise geometric lines captured every
astronomical event in the lay of the city,
equinoxes, solstices, eclipses, and every
constellation was crafted into the
design.  Rivers of lucid water poured from the
centre and ran in myriad canals throughout the
city.  Aetherial music of a hundred thousand
different voices and instruments, Åelf and other,
combined in eternal praise of their city’s immortal prince.
         Qan-af-årael continued his stately pace,
eyes absorbing the splendour of this imagined
metropolis with a resigned awe.  The swamp that
now infested this land was now a sub-tropical
forest of alder, birch, cedar, elm, fig, holly,
juniper, locust, oak, and the odd
pistachio.  These also were interwoven into the
lower arcades of the city.  Gardens dominated the
higher elevations, filled with boisterous flowers
in such profusion that there must be millions,
yet he knew also that each one was unique.
         There could be no comparison between
this city and any other city of the world.  None
was as beautiful, none was as grand, none was as
exalted, and from none did flow life as did from Jagoduun.
         Qan-af-årael saw a figure waiting for
him at the end of the ivory road.  Another Åelf
with long silvery black hair and ears drawn to
perfectly shaped points.  He dressed in a simple
white garment with wide sleeves and skirt whose
hem undulated only an inch above the ivory
road.  The garment, though plain, bore no seams
or stitches.  It seemed illumined not by the sun but by the person wearing it.
         His eyes were a radiant, but deep blue,
the same blue of a clear day’s sky directly
overhead.  His thin lips bore a smile of supreme
pleasure and his bearing told of his unparalleled
magnanimous spirit.  His skin was smooth but
mature.  There could be no way to determine this
Åelf’s age.  With careful deliberation, he
inclined respectfully, though the depth of his
bow was not so much that he treated Qan-af-årael
as a superior.  It was not even clear he treated him as an equal.
         “Lord of Colours, my city brightens with
your very presence.” His voice was like the
piping of the finest flutes blended with the
melancholy cry of the most delicate violin.
“Allow me to welcome you with open arms and great
joy to the holy city of Jagoduun.”
         “The city as you imagine it to be, my
Prince,” Qan-af-årael said without scorn. “For Jagoduun never appeared so.”
         The Prince lifted his face and his eyes
blossomed with such sublime confidence and
serenity that it was difficult not to enjoy his
optimism. “It shall.  This is how it was always
meant to be.  That which is meant to be will
be.  Come, see, I shall show you how your very
stars have come to live and make their
magnificence known here, Lord of Colours.”
         “No, my Prince.  That which is, is what
was meant to be.  This is only what you seek.”
         The Prince’s serenity did not waver
despite Qan-af-årael’s flat refusal to accept
what was shown him.  Nevertheless, the Prince did
step toward him and guide him with a hand that
never touched him, beyond the end of the ivory
road and onto one of the mid-level arcades.  They
could see beyond the tops of the many trees for
miles in any direction.  To either the west and
east he could see a blue sea flecked with white
at the forest’s edge.  Mighty vessels that seemed
ready to sail the air as much as the water bobbed up and down in the froth.
         “What I seek is the same that lies in
the soul of every Åelf.  In yours as well.  You
did see the world as it should be.  As it will
be.  It was humankind which in its foolish
reaching beyond that sent the world off
course.  Come see all corrected and set aright!”
         The Prince took Qan-af-årael through the
streets of the city, up the sloping towers and
along the arcades.  To the Lord of Colours he
showed every array of life and every note of
precision.  The streets themselves followed the
courses of stars or planets, mapping out the very
path of existence.  This was no earthly city
despite its construction from elements found on
the Earth.  This was a place of transcendent
peace.  This was a place where the object of
consideration could be set aside and the self
could dwell in meditative languor on its own
subjective identity.  Truly, Qan-af-årael could
think of no place more perfect in design or execution.
         “If this is how things should be,”
Qan-af-årael finally asked after an eternity of
quiet observation, “then why is it that we two
are the only walking beings here, my Prince?”
         “Do you not hear the music?  You cannot
see them, but they are there, Lord of Colours.”
The Prince gestured with a simple wave of his
hand.  The very air susurrated like a wave of
heat passing through a winter day.  On the many
lower arcades and balconies Qan-af-årael could
now see thousands of younger Åelf gathered in
musical and meditative worship.  Tens of
thousands of Keeper-like beings clustered the
very lowest arcades, all prostrate and
servile.  Their tails lay behind them, and those
with wings kept them folded close to their backs.
         “I know you think ill of me, Lord of
Colours,” the Prince said in softer tones, the
first to betray a more general sadness. “That
which has come to pass in your world is
emblematic of the evil that will be avoided in my
own.  No more will that evil corrupt minds.  Nor
will humans destroy our world.  But I am not
cruel as you perceive me to be.  They have their
place.  And you can see they have been reshaped to better fill it.”
         Qan-af-årael studied the prostrate
figures from the high arcade, able only to note
the broad features of their beastly shapes and
not any richer details. “You have made them half
animal like my companions, my Prince?”
         “And your companions will be among
them.” This last offer was made with a smile of
purest assurance.  The blue eyes bled a certainty
granted warmth only by the faint supernatural
glow of his flesh. “They are the solution to the
problem of man.  In your world it took far longer
to discern, and you yourself can attest to the
destruction wrought by its tardiness, Lord of Colours.”
         Qan-af-årael peered closer and could see
that the Prince spoke the truth.  In the central
arcade bowed low were a donkey, a rat, a hawk, a
skunk, and a pair of kangaroos each blended with
the form of man. “And you allow them in your city?”
         “They serve in whatever capacities they
can in their short lives.  It is the way of
things.  To our race was gifted knowledge of
deepest secrets of the universe.  Here in my
city, the holy city of Jagoduun, those secrets
are laid bare for all to contemplate and
celebrate.  Arising to each higher arcade can
only be accomplished by a greater
understanding.  Thy companions are uniquely
blessed amongst the beastly castes as they can
rise nearly to where we stand now.”
         “My Prince, why would you bring them to this world?”
         “Because they are necessary to bring
about what should be and what was meant to be.”
The Prince gestured with one hand toward a long
ramp leading to the next higher arcade. “Come and
learn the greater secrets, Lord of
Colours.  Another arcade and you shall know
things long denied to you.  Know the purpose of
every race in our world, and know the end for
which the world itself was created.”
         “It is not for me to know, my Prince.”
         “I am offering it to you.”
         “If I were to learn what you offer, I
would be compelled to aid you in bringing this
vision of yours about, my Prince.  I cannot do that.”
         The Prince kept his arm extended, the
long white sleeve billowing in a gentle breeze
that carried on it the hymn of all assembled. “It is how things should be.”
         “It is how you wish things to be, my
Prince.  But it is not how things are.”
         “How things are is corrupted,” the
Prince replied.  But he did lower his arm, the
invitation Qan-af-årael refused apparently no more.
         “As you have corrupted the race of man with that of the beast?”
         “They are only a little higher than the
beasts.  The corruption was to make them appear
as Åelf, to place them too high above the
beast.  The tail, the claw, the fur, feathers and
scales; these meaner things were all meant for
man.  To take them away and give them our visage
was a mistake that needed correction.” The
Prince’s eyes turned to the lower arcade and his
face glowed with beneficent delight as they
beheld the tens of thousands of animal men
prostrate in worship. “They are beautiful now,
set in their proper place, fully in harmony with
the universe and its purposes.”
         “Your purposes and your universe only,
my Prince.  What is real is not what is ideal, but only what is real.”
         “What is real must tend toward a
purpose, Lord of Colours.  The purpose of all
reality is toward this.  It is not my reality,
but reality as it will be.  I merely fulfill my purpose in reality.”
         “To be their god?”
         His laughter was soft and practised. “I
am not their god in the sense of reality.  I am
but a creature, created, though my purpose is to
understand the deepest of mysteries and make them
manifest in the world.  They worship only because
they are incapable of rising high enough to see
me as do you.  To them I am a god.  But it is not
because of any divinity on my part.  It is
because of the beastliness on theirs.  And that is how it should be.”
         “No, my Prince.  It is not.”
         The Prince’s face drew ever so slightly
taut. “Perhaps then you are right, Lord of
Colours.  You are not ready to ascend to the next
arcade.  You do not understand reality as
such.  Your mind sees only that which is and is
incapable of seeing that which will be.”
         “I see only that which you make.  And I
see it, as beautiful as it is, a horror.”
         “A horror?”
         Qan-af-årael gestured at the mighty
edifice that comprised the holy city. “Where is
the Hall of Unearthly Light?  I see nothing of
your precious minerals.  Or have you hidden them too from my sight?”
         “Their light shines only in darkness.  I
need it not anymore.  But why go there?  It is a descent.”
         “Because it is where I must go.  My
purpose is to be there, my Prince.”
         “Your purpose, Lord of Colours, is to
aid me.  Consent to what you see, this vision as
you put it, and you will foster reality as it is
meant to be.  Contest me, and you side yourself
with those forces seeking to destroy reality and
leave it into the hands of the beasts.  They will
supplant you and drive you even from that pitiful
refuge you’ve sought.  Their future lies in the
guise of animals one way or another.  The future of our kind is only here.”
         Qan-af-årael felt a sudden shift as a
tremor in the earth far below and like a key
fitting into a lock. “And therein is the lie, my
Prince.  Therein is the deception that undergirds
your reality. Your reality is a fundamental
denial of what is.  You present me with mere
phantoms of desire.  You tempt me with your
gestalt in order to prevent me from seeing the
truth.  You dangle before me the supremacy of our
race in order to gain my aid in subjugating
man.  This you will never have, my Prince.  Never.”
         The Prince listened, his pointed ears
turning ever so slightly forward to capture each
word.  When Qan-af-årael had finished, he folded
his hands in the white sleeves of his garment an
lowered his eyes.  The long silvery-black hair
coiled down his back.  “I will still draw you
across the gulf of what is to what should be,
Lord of Colours.  As I will all whose lives make
this possible.  But I do not believe you will
ever ascend to this arcade again.  Go.  The stairs back are behind you.”
         Qan-af-årael bowed his head as he turned
toward the stairs. “Good-bye, my Prince.  All the
love of my people are to you and to your father.”
But the Prince’s mind was as distant as the
furthest stars and he paid no more heed to the
Lord of Colours.  Undeterred, Qan-af-årael started down the dark stairwell.

         “It looks like the stairs end just
ahead,” Kayla said in a soft voice to her
companions.  The skunk felt James tighten his
grip on her tail, his hooves clopping on the
steps behind her.  Below the witchlight danced
before a circular arch that led into a
hallway.  The walls were similarly covered in leaden scrollwork.
         The air felt heavy and the skunk knew
her hackles were raised.  The bracer was warm to
the touch now, and she knew deep down that
something very dangerous lay ahead of them.  The
palpable sense of evil pervaded every step, but
until now it seemed to wait lizard-like for them
to approach.  What maw readied to snatch them up?
         Kayla stepped into the hallway then
paused to let the rest finish their
descent.  Guernef was the slowest of them, his
thigh still not healed fully, and the delay
preyed on her thoughts.  Qan-af-årael had assured
them that this was the day when all would be
decided.  Time was of the essence.  But how much
time had elapsed while they’d been lost in their
nightmares?  And how long did they have
left?  Without either the ancient Åelf or the
prophetic Habakkuk there was no way to know and that made her anxious.
         The hallway ended in a light too bright
to distinguish.  Jessica snuffed the witchlights
once they’d cleared the stairs, and those that
could grasped weapons.  Kayla drew Clymaethera
from her home and felt the dragon katana throb
impatiently in her paw.  The serpent yearned to
spill the blood of the one who had imprisoned
Rickkter’s soul.  Though she couldn’t see
anything in the light, a presentiment assured the
skunk that the Maquis was waiting just ahead.
         With every step, the light began to
diffuse and shapes became clearer in its
brilliance.  Something gold stood atop a raised
platform.  There were pillars along the walls,
and stanchions of gold on the platform.  A figure
crouched on the platform moving back and
forth.  No, two figures.  Kangaroos.  Kayla felt
her heart tighten as she recognized the russet
fur of Habakkuk as well as the black scar
spreading over his side like a splash of
paint.  He was atop a red-furred kangaroo, and
she closed her eyes once she realized what it was they were doing.
         Her mind screamed why, but then
something gripped her body and compelled it
forward.  All her limbs became stiff, her tongue
still, and with mechanistic precision, she walked
into the larger chamber as obedient as a docile
slave.  She felt James let go of her tail and
succumb to the Marquis’s control.  A few choked
voices sounded, and then Kayla heard Jessica cry
in horror.  A scuffle, and then the hawk
squawking as her companions dragged the mage forcibly into the room.
         Her eyes dully regarded the golden dais,
knowing that it was the companion to the censer
they’d seen in the belfry at Metamor six months
ago.  Standing nearby with a cloud of cards
slowly circling his upper body was the Marquis du
Tournemire.  His eyes were placid and with a wave
of one hand he gestured at the two kangaroos.
“That is quite enough.  Your friends are here.  Join them on the ground.”
         The two beasts disengaged and without
any demonstration of modesty, reverted to morphic
forms.  Somehow Kayla felt sure the red kangaroo
was Lindsey.  The fur was the same colour as his
— no, her — hair.  Somehow the Marquis had
changed him into a female kangaroo to match
Habakkuk.  She wondered why he might have done
that, but the magic of the Marquis’s control
squelched her thoughts from proceeding any further.
         “Now that you are all here, we may
begin.” The Marquis crooned and clasped his hands
together. “This, as you have no doubt already
guessed, is the Dais of Yajakali.  The third and
final artifact he crafted eleven thousand years
ago.  With the death of Krenek Zagrosek, it has
been tied into the magic flowing into this
place.  What magic flows here does not return,
and so, we have a rich deposit to tap and
control.  The Censer brings all the magic of
Metamor, the sword has taken the reservoir
beneath Yesulam and passes through Ahdyojiak.  We
have enough magical power now to accomplish the
greatest casting ever conceived by man.”
         He bowed to them and his voice grew
mocking. “And I have you to thank for it.  As
your reward, you may now help me choose which
three of you to kill.  Yes, I fear three more
deaths are necessary.  The artifacts must be
activated, and for that life must be taken in
this place.” He scanned them and noted the
combination of Jerome, Charles, Andares, and
James all holding the hawk Jessica in place.  She
struggled but could not break free.
         The Marquis smiled with such delight
that Kayla felt her stomach attempt a revolt.
“Jessica!  Long have you through bitter
circumstance managed to avoid meeting me.  It is
a great pleasure to finally make your
acquaintance.  Now, let us do more and bring you
into my deck where you belong.”
         He selected a card from the air and
walked toward her. “But first, perhaps you can
help me decide which of your friends will
die.  Andares, you can let go of her beak.” The
Åelf loosened his grip around her head but still kept one arm around her neck.
         “Kill yourself, Marquis!” Jessica
squawked. “You’ve caused my friends and I enough pain!”
         “No I assure you I have not done
that.  I can always cause more.  Witness.” He
took another card and bent it in half.  Abafouq
screamed as his body buckled over backward.  The
Marquis straightened the card and pulled at
either end.  The Binoq’s short arms stretched out
on all sides as if he were being drawn and
quartered.  The agonized wail echoed off the
walls.  After nearly half a minute, the Marquis
finally tossed the card aside and let Abafouq collapse on the floor.
         “You’re a monster!”
         “I am a man with great power.  I am
unconcerned with any invective you have to
share.  Now, to who will die to bring the
magnificent artifacts to life.  You have two
choices for each person I come to.  They can
either give their lives in my cause, or they can
suffer pain until my cause has come to
pass.  Pain from which they will eventually die
anyway.  So, to be completely honest, whomever
you decide to kill will be those to whom you show mercy, Jessica.  Mercy.”
         The hawk glared with hard eyes.  Her
black feathers stood further on end, and she
struggled against her friends but with two
Sondeckis holding her she couldn’t move even an
inch.  The only time Kayla could ever remember
seeing the hawk angrier was when they hunted Agathe in Breckaris.
         Tournemire didn’t appear the slightest
concerned with her anger.  He walked to where
Habakkuk stood, still completely naked and with
utterly blank expression. “First, the last of the
Felikaush, Zhypar Habakkuk.  Shall he have
mercy?” Jessica glared at him and said nothing.
“Very well, he shall not.” The Marquis took a
card from the air and tapped it once in the
middle. Habakkuk lurched forward with his chest
bruising in the centre.  He gasped like a beast
as he collapsed into a four-footed stance, long tail thrashing back and forth.
         “His pain will grow worse with
time.  And now for Lindsey.  Yes, this beautiful
red-furred beast is the same soul you knew as
Lindsey.  What of her?  No?  Let there be pain
then.” He did the same thing to another card and
a moment later both kangaroos were on all fours hacking and crying in agony.
         “Stop it!” Jessica shouted, her feathers
trembling with rage. “Just stop it, you
monster!  I won’t give you anything you want, so
you may as well do what you want with me.”
         “Very well, Jessica.  Very well.  You
will be the first to die.” The Marquis glanced at
the two kangaroos and then smoothed their cards
over.  Habakkuk and Lindsey gasped as they
crumpled to the floor, the pain having left their
bodies.  Slowly, they pushed themselves into
standing positions.  Lindsey lamely reached for
the remnants of her attire, but none of it was
sized for her new shape.  Still she pulled the
shirt on over her head and though it hung on her
awkwardly, it still helped cover her
somewhat.  Habakkuk didn’t bother with his
garments, though his eyes stole to his dropped knapsack.
         “And Habakkuk,” this he said to the
kangaroo. “You are going to live through this,
because I want you to watch all of your
preparations come to naught.  And with your paw,
you will kill the third person.  Your Lindsey to
whom you have just given your love.” He smiled
again, and his white teeth gleamed like spires of ice, cold and murderous.
         The Marquis turned back to the
others.  Kayla tried to find someway around his
vile control.  She tried to twist her arm within
the bracer, but whatever magic it held seemed
stunted in the Marquis’s presence.  Somehow, she
knew if she pressed too hard, the Marquis would
learn of the bracer and make her remove it.  So
even as she watched the evil man approach her
dear friend Jessica, she eased off and hoped a better chance would come later.
         The Marquis lifted a single card, and
Kayla could see that it was the Queen of
Hearts.  On it was a black hawk like Jessica.
“And now here at the end, I finally lay claim to
you, Jessica,” he said, and there was a hint of
irritation in his voice.  Jessica struggled this
way and that as he lowered the card toward her head.
         A sudden gale knocked all of them to the
ground and scattered the Marquis’s cards about
the vaulted chamber.  Kayla shook her head and
felt the soreness in her body where it had struck
the ground. A few feet away she saw the Marquis
shaking his head and climbing to his
feet.  Clymaethera was only inches from her
paw.  The katana practically leapt into her hand
and she lifted it to strike, but the control
clamped down on her and she drew back the swing before it could land.
         The Marquis paid her no more mind than
to stop her killing blow.  His eyes were on the
passage way.  Standing in white garments was the
ancient Åelf.  Qan-af-årael met the Marquis’s
gaze with an indomitable spirit.  His eyes were
cold like glass.  He held out one hand, palm
facing forward, and around him the very air
swirled with boisterous energy.  His voice rang
with the clangour of shattering crystal. “You
will harm them no more, Camille du
Tournemire.  You will face none of them but me.”
         With a laugh, the Marquis lifted his
arms and his cards swarmed about him. “Come and
face me, old man.  It’s about time you revealed your true power.”
         Qan-af-årael said nothing more as he
strode into the Chamber of Unearthly Light to
brace the Marquis.  Kayla and the others crawled to get out of their way.