[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXX

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Tue Jan 6 20:10:13 EST 2009

>This is a very good chapter, and the scene you say that can be too
>much for MK is fine as is (it lacks explicit terms, and also doesn't
>go beyond what can be allowed according to the supposed rating MK
>has). I think Loriod's scene with Hough in KtLL was quite harsher
>than this one.

True.  I didn't write that particular scene so I tend not to remember
it.  I compare myself against myself, and I know this is the most
graphic I've ever become.

>Now, what follows now is my opinion on the matter.
>That same scene brings something I (and many others as well, I would
>think) find as pushing it a bit too much. That is the easy and
>troubleless manipulation of the curses by the Marquis. Overpowered anyone?
>While a really powerful villain/antagonist is a very good thing to
>make a plot interesting, there should be some limits for it.
>What I mean is that after so many years of having the resolution for
>a "No cure" pillar for the universe, and supposedly only achieving a
>limited manipulation decades after the current timeline at the
>least, making a character being able to freely manipulate it
>(remove, exchange, etc) seems off.
>Besides, his boastful comment about "lackwit mages" was a kick in
>the balls for many :P.

The Marquis is a singularly nasty individual and has been granted
power beyond what any current mortal possesses.  Also, he's standing
in Marzac and so has the reserves of all the magic contained there to
work with.  He is boasting because at present he can do more than he
could do in previous chapters.  What he has accomplished should not
be repeated by anyone.  But also, what I'm building up to should also
not be repeated by anyone either.  This is the culmination of eleven
years writing and planning.  It's going to get a little over the top
for your typical MK story.

I am also keenly aware of the consequences of what the Marquis is
doing and have already figured out how it will all pan out.  I'm
pretty sure you won't be disappointed by that either.

And yeah, I had fun having the Marquis call the MK mages
lackwits.  It was the perfect thing for him to say.

>Maybe I'm jumping the gun, I don't know how are you going to
>continue the story, but as far as I can see, the Marquis seems to be
>the most overpowered character ever conceived in the setting...

He is.  He's also a villain.  My villains haven't exactly prospered. ;-)

>Aside from all this, as I said this is a great chapter and things
>are really getting exciting. The cliffhanger at the end is too cruel ;)
>Just that, I would like to know what other people think about this.

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter, Pontos!  Thank you for your comments!