[Mkguild] MK Story Three of a Kind part 3

Chris chrisokane at verizon.net
Sat Jul 11 14:44:59 EDT 2009

   Here is part 3 of three of a Kind!

Chris Okane
The Lurking Fox

*************

   This town reminded Edmund of any of a hundred small towns he had been in
over the years. The cobblestone streets were narrow and twisted back and
forth. Lining each side were tall stone buildings that towered over the
street leaving it in gloomy darkness. In many places the buildings crossed
over above to the buildings on the other side. Turning an open street into a
dark tunnel.

   As they walked along Edmund noticed small alleys the opened onto the road
he was on. These tight little alleyways were so narrow that his shoulders
would brush both walls if he traveled down them. But Edmund avoided them,
instead they stuck to the larger streets with their crowds of people.

   The people they met greeted them warmly, smiling and nodding as the
couple passed. One, a young woman wearing a brightly colored dress was
selling bread through a large. open storefront window. She smiled and gave
Bridgette a small bun still hot from the oven. She hesitated for a moment
before taking it. And thanking the woman. Edmund quickly bought several
loaves of bread and a dozen rolls all still warm. The smell of the freshly
baked was wonderful to the paladin. It brought to him memories of when he
was a child in his mothers kitchen with all it's wonderful sights, smells
and sounds.

   His sensitive nose was one of the many good things about the change to
his present form. At the moment he was just enjoying those enhanced senses.
But most of all he was enjoying being with Bridgette. He had first taken the
woman as a ward. To help a person with no memories get her life back
together, but they had grown close. At first he was sure it was just
friendship but with each passing day they grew closer and closer. At first
they were getting together for her lessons. Learning to speak and read and
write again. But soon their times together broadened to shopping in town,
visits to concerts, and simply walking together.

   Edmund was no simpleton. He had courted young woman before he had taken
the vows. And since then he had courted a few since then but none of them
made him feel so good, so complete as Bridgette. She was a simple woman is
so many ways. With her old memories gone she was seeing the world for the
first time and even the simplest of things brought her great delight. Edmund
had led men in battles, fought dragons, manticores, ghouls and all manner of
undead with no problems. Combat was no stranger to him. What did confuse him
was Bridgette. Was she the woman to share his life? He was afraid of doing
the wrong thing, saying the wrong thing and hurting her. She was looking
into his eyes now. Suddenly aware of the fact that something was worrying
him. He put those worries aside. He did not want to ruin this fine afternoon
with such thoughts. Edmund looked into those warm soft eyes and saw
patience, warmth and love. He leaned forward and tenderly licked her muzzle
in a canine kiss. She rubbed her muzzle against his and licked his face
gently.

*******************

   "Well?" Edmund asked eagerly. "Did he get the letter?"

   "No but I did deliver it to someone who said she would give it to him."

   "I asked you to give it to Nestorius himself," Edmund commented.

   "They wouldn't even let me in the door."

   "You need to be more assertive," Edmund said.

   "I'm sorry," Stealth said and lowered his head.

   "It's not your fault my friend. Nestorius is being particularly rude."

   Stealth shook his head. "I stuffed up an easy job... I knew I'd do this."

   "It was not an easy job." Edmund commented. "This lion has refused to
meet with me already."

*******************

   Located on one side of the main town square in Hareford was a three story
building. Its walls were of old weathered brick for the most part but in
many places newer bricks were visible. The ground floor had a pair of large
doors tall enough and wide enough to admit a horse and carriage into the
interior. Beyond those doors lay one large room that occupied the entire
ground floor. It was filled with all manner of tools and benches. Hammer,
tongs, chisels and other unidentifiable tools dangled from hooks driven into
the walls and ceiling joists. The entire back wall was filled with a huge
brick forge that glowed with fire and heat. In front of that forge was a
massively muscled figure who held a large pair of tongs in the glowing coals
while stoking the flames with a large bellows.

   The woman stepped into the shop making her way past the workbench's,
tools and boxes that littered the floor.

   In spite of all the sound and noise coming from the forge the figure
seemed to sense the woman approach. The smithy put down his tongs and turned
to see who was approaching.

   The effects of the curse had left the smithy in a form never seen before
or since. He had a massive and heavily muscled body that looked like a
bear's. But he had the head, tail and paws of a wolf all covered with a dark
brown, striped fur. It was months before a visiting scholar had produced a
box full of old, brown bones with a skull like his. A Beardog was the name
of the species. Long extinct everywhere.

   "Marcia!" Panno said and he hugged the woman. "How is my baby sister
doing today?"

   "I am well," she answered. "I guess."

   "What's wrong?" the beardog asked.

   "It's Edmund," the castellan answered. "The leader of the latest group of
cavalry sent here."

   "I've noticed a new group," the smithy answered. "But they tend to come
and go so quickly that I pay them little notice."

   "Three times Edmund has asked to meet with Nestorius," Marica explained.
"And three times I have been forced to turn him away with some excuse."

   The beardog shook his head. "Why?"

   "Edmund wishes to meet with Nestorius but Nestorius does not want to meet
with him. I cannot honor both. What do I do?" Marcia asked.

   "Do what you think is right," Panno suggested.

  Marcia gave a wry smile. "Of course! But what is right? He doesn't want
anything to do with these people, he grew tired of these imitation warriors
long ago."

   Panno nodded. "I can understand that. We have all seen the troops come,
do nothing and then leave as quickly as possible."

   "But Edmund is different. He is dedicated and very experienced." she
explained.

   "Then speak with Nestorius," the beardog suggested. "It is him that
Edmund wants to meet."

   "I already have," Marcia explained.

   "And what did he say?" Panno asked.

   "There is nothing he can ask me that you can not answer," the woman
answered coldly and shook her head.

   Panno shook his head sadly. "Nest can be an arrogant fool sometimes."

   "Sometimes?" Marcia questioned.

   The smithy gave a short bark of laughter. "Good point. But there is not
much you can do. Nestorius is our overlord and we are sworn to follow his
orders."

   "But this paladin is persistent and he not going to just forget this
insult."

   "Then our friend must learn this lesson by himself," Panno answered. "The
rough way."

***************

   "Excuse me but how do I find the bath house?" Stealth asked.

   "It's easy to find," the guard at the gate said. "Go straight down this
road till you come to the corner with a green house. Turn left and go
straight till you come to the inn with a blue door with a rearing horse on
it. Take the second right and the third left and it will be straight ahead!"

   Stealth walked out of the castle and into the town of Hareford. He walked
straight till he came to a corner on which there was a house painted a
bluish-gray color. The feline turned left and walked till he came upon a
small wooden building with a blue door but no horse.

   "Hello Sir. How can I help you?"

   Stealth turned to the voice and saw and small wooden and plaster shop.
The ground floor had a small door and a large window that was opened up into
a counter. The young woman behind the counter smiled at him.

   "Hello Sir, can I help you?"

   "I was looking for the bath house. Can you tell me how to get there?"

   "AH! The bath house. That is easy to find." She raised her hand and
pointed down the street. In her hand was a fine silver chain that dangled
just at the feline's eye level.

   "That's nice!" Stealth said.

   "You like it?" She said cheerfully and extended her hand to the cat.
"Here try it on. See if you like it. It's cheap."

   Stealth took the necklace. The chain was made of finely wrought silver.
Each link was a work of art in of it's self. He put the chain around his
neck and admired himself in the mirror the woman held up. "How much?"

   "A mere one gold piece," she said. "A real bargain."

   The cheetah dug a gold coin from his purse and handed it to the woman.
"Now how do I get to the bath?" Stealth asked.

   "That's easy! You take the third right, then the second right and the
fourth left," the woman answered pointing vaguely to the right. "Then you go
all the way to the end of the street and it will be right in front of you."

   "Thank you!" Stealth slowly walked down the street following the woman's
instructions. He took the third then the second right and the fourth left.
Then the cheetah morph walked straight to the end of the road and found
himself staring at the curtain wall. There was no bath house anywhere within
sight.

   After a moment the wonderful smell of baked bread came to him. He sniffed
the air and used his nose to follow the smell to it's source. It was a small
stone shop sitting separate from the other buildings. Thick, black smoke
slowly billowed from the two chimneys that sprouted from the roof. He walked
through the door to the shop and found himself in a small bakery. His nose
was assaulted by a thousand delightful smells.

   "Good morning!" an old woman said cheerfully. "Can I help you?"

   "Ah," Stealth said slowly as he looked around. He spotted a dozen loaves
of bread each a different type. "A loaf of mint flavored bread please. OH!
And a dozen of the oatmeal cookies!"

   In a moment the cheetah morph was holding a small paper wrapped bundle
that was still warm. "Thank you!" he said and handed her some coins.

  The feline left the shop and stepped into the street. He walked around the
street for a moment nibbling on a cookie. In front of him was a man busy
repairing some broken paving stones in the street. All he saw around him
were buildings of various types none of which looked like a bathhouse.

   The feline approached the man working in the street.  "Excuse me but
where is the bath house?" Stealth asked exasperated.

   "That's easy," he said.

   "Everyone keeps saying that!" Stealth said sharply. "But I can't find
it!"

   He laughed and nodded his head. "Turn around."

   "What?"

   "Turn around."

   Stealth turned around. There in front of him was a single story with only
a single door and a few small windows located high up, close to the roof.

   "That's it?" Stealth asked, confused.

   "You were expecting an emperor's palace?"

   "Well, thank you!" he said and headed to the building. The door was made
of some nice, light colored wood and had been carefully and elaborately
carved with the image of all sorts of fanciful sea creatures.

   Stealth opened the door and stepped through. He found himself surrounded
by marble and granite. The walls of the small room were covered with a white
marble that was highly polished. Every visible part of the floors was
covered with intricate mosaics made of the most vibrant colors. He saw
scores of sea creatures cavorting and dancing in an ocean of a deep magenta.

   "Wow! This is beautiful," Stealth said.

   "Thank you Sir. I'm glad you like it." Standing in a doorway off to his
right was a black haired man wearing a white tunic that covered his body
down to the knees.

   "This is beautiful. I never expected a place so fine and expensive"
Stealth commented as he looked around.

   "Well, Lord Nestorius donated this building and he likes a nice bath,"
the man explained.

   "So I see!"

   "I'm Nathaniel and I'm the attendant here. How can I help you?" the man
asked.

   "I'd like to take a bath. How much would that cost?"

   A single copper for a bath," the man answered. "For two coppers you get a
bath with "Belurian soap and scented shampoo. For four copper you also get a
grooming and fur clipping. Guaranteed to make you look wonderful. I can also
supply refreshments if you want."

   "For a small price?" Stealth asked.

   "A trivial price sir. Home made by me and my wife," Nathaniel explained.

   The cheetah nodded. "All right. Lets go all the way. Bath, shampoo, soap,
grooming, clipping and a good meal."

   The man looked at the feline and shook his head and made a clucking noise
with his tongue.

   "What's wrong?" Stealth asked looking at his body for some problem or
injury.

   "Your clothes," he explained. "You can't put dirty clothes on a clean
body! It would be a shame if we cleaned you up and you put back on those old
rags."

   "I see," Stealth said slowly. "And you can supply me new clothes?

   "Well," the man said. "My sister is a tailor and her shop is right next
store."

***************

   Several hours later

   Thank you Nathaniel," Stealth said as he stepped out of the bathhouse,
clean, groomed,  fed and wearing new clothes. "How do I get back to the
Castle?" he asked.

   Nathaniel smiled. "That's easy! You go down this street and take the
second right . . . "

***************

   The invitation arrived late that afternoon, delivered by a teenage boy
who announced that it was for Lady Bridgette.

   Bridgette opened the envelope and unfolded the letter found inside. She
read the words slowly. Edmund was still teaching her to read but she had
come a long way. The letter said:

   "Dear Bridgette.

   "Greetings and welcome to Hareford! I cordially invite you and a friend
to lunch and entertainment tomorrow at 11am in my home.

   Cordially,
   Amelia Sentilus."

   "C  o  r  d  i  a  l  l  y?" Bridgette asked slowly.

   "It means friendly," Edmund explained. "She wants to have you over for a
friendly lunch."

   "N i c e," Bridgette commented.

   "I am due out on patrol tomorrow," Edmund answered.

   Bridgette snarled in disappointment.

   "But I think Stealth is not busy then," Edmund suggested. "I am sure he
would be glad to attend in my place."

************************

   "Stealth!" Edmund asked as he walked into the barracks. He spotted his
friend sitting on his bunk eating something. "My friend!" the paladin said
and walked towards the other feline. He got within arm's reach and stopped.
He sniffed. "Stealth you smell . . ." Edmund paused as he searched for the
right words. "Like flowers."

   "It is called Mountain meadow," Stealth said simply. "You like it?"

   "Yes I do," came the answer. Edmund looked closely at his friend. The
feline was wearing a brand new shirt and trousers and on his paws was a fine
pair of sandals. The feline himself was clean and well groomed to the point
that his fur seemed to glow with cleanliness. "It that a new silver chain
around your neck?"

   "Yes it is!"

   "That's nice! Not overly done as it is all too often," Edmund commented.

   Stealth held out his hand and in it was a large, tan cookie. "Have an
oatmeal cookie!"

   Edmund slowly took the offered treat and nibbled on it. The cookie was
fresh and tasted delicious. "Good!"

   "Very good. Want to take few back to share with Bridgette," Stealth said
and handed the paladin another cookie.

   "Thank you. Where did you get all this?" Edmund asked.

   "I visited Hareford today," Stealth explained.

   "A fine little town. What parts of it did you see?" Edmund asked.

   "All of it."