[Mkguild] The Last Tale of Yajakali - Chapter LXXV

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Mar 13 23:10:09 EDT 2009

That's it!  I'm freaking done!  Yeehaw!!!

For the record, I began writing Last Tale of Yajakali back in January of 2006.

Metamor Keep: The Last Tale of Yajakali
By Charles Matthias

Chapter LXXV

Going Home

         Guernef returned a few hours before the
sun set on the day after they’d entered the
Chateau Marzac.  Until then, Jerome, James,
Andares, and Sir Autrefois busied themselves with
arranging their supplies and erecting the tents
so that they could sleep.  Some of their
belongings were destroyed in the magical
maelstrom, and apart from the Marquis’s servants
who’d been bound on the Dais, all of their
clothes had been ripped from their bodies.  As
warm as it was on the peninsula, especially with
the fire still burning to the north, those with
fur or feathers endured their nudity, though
James fashioned a loincloth for himself for modesty’s sake.
         Abafouq and Jessica spent their time
creating a very large witchlight to act as a
signal to the Whalish fleet.  They set it to
hover fifty feet over their encampment, and made
sure that the bottom did not shine as brightly as
the rest to keep from blinding themselves.  They
then cast what spells they knew to keep the air
from choking with smoke and dust.  Abafouq
lamented the necessity of sending Guernef off to
look for help because such spells were the Nauh-kaee’s specialty.
         Once all was prepared, most of them
collapsed inside the tents to sleep.  Andares and
Kayla took the first watch.  The landscape, once
lush and green with more trees, ferns, and brush
than the skunk could name, was now a desolate
wasteland.  Her paws sunk into the muddy ground
only to bite into sticks and bits of mortar from
the castle walls.  If not for the choking dust,
they would have been able to see unimpeded for
miles in every direction.  To the north the
forest smoldered as the fires burned themselves
out in the damp vegetation, while in every other
direction darkness and the sea waited.
         It took some time before Kayla
understood what bothered her most about the
scene.  The scent was foul, but after travelling
for weeks through the marshes, and after years
spent in Metamor, she could endure the
scent.  Even the sight, depressing and lifeless
as it was, could only remind them of their
victory over Marzac.  What upset her was that she
could hear nothing but the snoring and whimpering
of her friends as they slumbered in dream or
suffered in nightmare.  So close to the sea, she
expected to hear gulls or terns, or even the
lapping of waves.  But there was nothing.
         Shortly after noon, they woke James and
Jessica and bade them take watch.  It took Kayla
only minutes to find sleep, and when she did, she
dreamed of Rickkter.  She couldn’t remember her
dreams when she woke that evening feeling
somewhat stronger in body, but she did ponder
what her raccoon lover might be doing now that
he’d been freed from the Marquis’s cards.  Was he
tearing down the Keep trying to come after
her?  A part of her hoped so, but she knew it
would be best if he waited and recovered his strength.
         While pondering her lover, Kayla
searched through what they’d managed to save and
thanked all the gods when she found her
brush.  While Andares scoured their rations for
something they eat without recourse to fire, she
brushed the tangles out of her fur.  There were
far more than she’d thought, and winced as the
knots pulled several clumps of fur out.  When
Andares offered her bread she ate it with one paw
and continued brushing with the other.
         She was just starting on her tail when
Jessica spotted the returning Nauh-kaee.  All of
them breathed a sigh of relief when they saw him
land.  Even Lindsey smiled.  The news of the
Whalish fleet cheered them all.  But the
exhaustion was too much, and after eating and
grooming herself, Kayla climbed back into her
tent and slept for many more hours.
         By the time she woke, it was only a few
hours before dawn the next day.  They had
continued to cycle the watch, and it was Sir
Autrefois of all people who gently called her
name bidding her rise.  The skunk smiled to him,
a man who’d been a victim as much as she was, but
this time found something to wear before leaving the tent.
         Jerome bore only a single layer of
linens that did little to hide his strongly
muscled chest.  He nodded once to her and then
gestured to the south. “Charles and the fleet are
somewhere down there.  How much longer will it take before we see them?”
         Kayla stretched and shook her head. “I
don’t know.  But the ships won’t land here.  There’s no water.”
         Jerome nodded. “Once the dawn comes
we’re going to need to head west.  It shouldn’t
take more than a few hours to reach the shoreline.”
         “Over this ground?” Kayla asked. “It will take longer than that.”
         “We’ll find a way,” the Sondecki said
confidently. “After all we’ve come through, we’ll find a way.”
         “Aye,” Kayla agreed, settling in to wait
out the last few hours of night. “That we
will.”  Above them the stars glistened in silent gratitude.

----------

         The last thing Grastalko remembered was
watching the world spin in the hue of electric
blue.  Groggily, feeling sore in every part of
his body except for his left arm which felt warm
but not uncomfortably sore, he stirred in his
bed.  The familiar scent of the wagon he shared
with some of the other teenage boys came to
him.  Though he could smell candles, none of them
were lit.  A lantern hung still from the middle
of the wagon.  Everything was still apart from
the shuffling stance of two men whose voices were
quiet and tickled the inside of his ears.
         Grastalko opened his lips and tried to
push the foul sticky taste of a long night’s
slumber from his teeth. “Hanaman, he hath
awoken,” a very familiar voice
said.  Nemgas.  Hadn’t he been there at the
mountain?  Did he know what happened?
         Two great shadows hovered over his
bed.  Grastalko blinked in the light, shifting
back on his elbows.  Hanaman’s voice was soft
with the fatherly warmth he’d begun to hear in
the month since he’d started taking many dinners
with their leader’s family. “Grastalko.  Canst thee hear me?”
         He nodded, grimacing as he tried to work
loose his tongue.  A dull throb lurched from his
feet to his head and back again.
         “We wert worried for thee,” Hanaman
said, his voice settling into its usual firmness.
“Thou hast slept for more than a day.”
         “Wha... what happened?”
         “Thou didst burn thyself,” Hanaman
replied.  Fingers gently traced over his left
arm.  Grastalko felt it only as a bumpy journey
over the folds of his ruined skin. “But thee
didst kill the man whom Nemgas named
Tournemire.  I dost not understand it myself, but I be proud of thee.”
         Grastalko blinked again and slowly the
faces of Hanaman and Nemgas resolved
themselves.  Both of them were smiling to
him.  Their eyes were dark but eager as they
stood between Grastalko and the lamp.  The young
man looked up at them and shifted his legs in the
bed. “‘Twas night when I struck.  Hath we left?”
         “‘Tis morning,” Nemgas said softly. “We
hath not left, but we shalt today.  Today the
Magyars return to the life they hath known and cherished for generations.”
         “‘Tis a day to rejoice, for we hath
reunited and healed our wounds,” Hanaman added,
resting his hand on Grastalko’s left
shoulder.  The flesh there was wrinkled from fire
too. “And thou art well.  Dost thee feel any pain?”
         He nodded. “I art sore all over.”
         “And in thy left arm?” Nemgas prompted.
         “No, it...” Grastalko blinked, and felt
excitement flood him. “I hath no pain!  I hath no
pain!  Eli be praised, I hath no pain!” He sat up
in bed, all soreness forgotten, marvelling at his
blackened and twisted skin, hard like leather,
but completely free of pain.  The fingers of his
left hands were no longer ashen curls, though
they were still disfigured by the flames.  He
flexed them several times, laughing in joy. He
threaded the fingers of either hand together and
then pulled them apart. “I canst move them again!”
         “Thou hast been scarred over much of the
left side of thy body,” Hanaman told him in more
level tones.  Thy face...” Hanaman lowered his
eyes and took a deep breath. “Thy face too hast been marred.”
         Grastalko frowned, and realized that the
left side of his face felt stiff.  He reached his
right hand up and dragged his fingers across a
pebbly, tough hide.  “Hast thee a mirror?”
         Hanaman turned to Nemgas, who walked to
the set of drawers and rifled through them until
he found a small looking glass.  Grastalko
recognized it as Rabji’s.  Nemgas handed it to
Hanaman, who held it up for Grastalko to see.  In
the glass was his atypical light hair for a
Magyar over a light-skinned face.  His blue eyes
were vibrant, and his lips thin.  His nose flared at the end.
         But his left cheek was brown and tough
like the hide of a bull.  His ear had partially
melted, the tip leaned down like a pig’s.  He
took a deep breath and then looked away. “I wilt
do very well as a monster in the pageant.”
         Hanaman tightened his grip and closed
his eyes. “Thou art thyself, Grastalko, and thou art always a son at my table.”
         Nemgas pursed his lips and thoughtfully
regarded the deformed young man. “Dost not let
thy wound trouble thee.  Thou hast suffered long
for this.  I see that thou hast thy strength back in thy limb.”
         Grastalko nodded, moving the fingers of
his left hand for the first time in six months.
“I know.  But it ne’er touched my face before.  I
wilt always be a monster now.” His voice remained
empty, the delight of not having any more pain
dampened by the hideous sight of his face.
         “Amongst the Magyar, thou art no
different than the rest of us,” Hanaman asserted.
         “I hath but one arm,” Nemgas pointed
out. “Chamag still bears the fangs of a
beast.  We hath all been touched by these powers
in different ways.  ‘Twere powers man shouldst
ne’er hath touched.  But ‘tis done now.  Tell me,
dost thee still possess thy flame?”
         Grastalko blinked, lifted his hand, and
thought of the fire.  His fingers blossomed in
bright orange flames.  But this time, there was
no more pain, only the warmth.  He turned his
hand over and watched the flames lick across
their surface.  They brought him no more harm either. “It dost not hurt me!”
         “What of other things?” Nemgas asked.
“Couldst thee light this candle from where thee dost recline?”
         The one-armed Magyar had picked up a
candle and held it in his only
hand.  Grastalko  stared at the wick and imagined
a great heat filling it.  With a brilliant spark
it burst into flame.  Nemgas nodded and put the
candle back in its sconce. “I dost not know for
certain, but thou dost seem more mage than monster to me.”
         Hanaman nodded, the smile returned to
his lips as he glanced from Nemgas to the fiery
youth. “Aye.  Grastalko, thou art a mage who hast
mastered fire.  Zhenava wilt teach thee what she
knows, but I believe thou wilt surpass here soon.”
         Grastalko blinked, eyes focussed on the
lit candle.  He’d done that all with his
mind.  He’d performed true magic.  A mage.  He
looked at his ruined arm.  He snuffed the flame
in his hand, then brought it back again.  He
smiled and snuffed the flame one more time. “I
art a mage.” He looked sharply at Hanaman. “Then dost that mean?”
         The leader of the Magyars nodded. “Aye,
it dost.  Thou mayest pursue Bryone whom thou lovest.”
         Grastalko slid his legs out of the bed,
his heart beating so fast his chest hurt. “I must see her!”
         “She hath spent the night tending
Dazheen,” Hanaman said, tightening his grip on
the youth’s shoulder. “Let her take her rest this
day.  Tonight thou wilt see her.”
         Grastalko sighed but the smile would not
leave his face. “How be Dazheen?”
         “She wilt recover,” Hanaman assured him
while Nemgas blew on the candle.  The flame
stubbornly refused to go out. “But ‘twill take
many weeks.  I must leave thee now, Grastalko.  I
must see to the others.  We must quit this place
and resume our journey through the Steppe.  Wilt thee be well?”
         Grastalko slid the rest of the way off
the bed.  He stared into Hanaman’s face with the
love of a son to a father. “I wilt, Hanaman.  If Bryone dost accept me.”
         Nemgas spat on the candle flame which
sizzled but endured.  Hanaman watched this out of
the corner of his eye. “Hath no fear of Bryone,
my child. ‘Twas only by our order that she left
thy side to see to Dazheen.  Now, I leave thee
with Nemgas.  Listen well to him as thee wouldst to me.”
         Grastalko nodded and the two of them
hugged briefly.  Hanaman smiled at him the entire
way to the door and out into the cool winter
air.  After the door fell shut, Nemgas tapped his
thumb to his chin and asked, “Wouldst thee care
to meet my boy, Pelurji?  He hath awoken too.”
         “I wouldst very much like to meet thy boy!”
         Nemgas smiled and gestured with that
thumb at the candle. “First, canst thee extinguish this obstinate flame?”
         Grastalko laughed, waved his fingers and
the flame obediently winked out.  Nemgas roared
with joy and the two of them left the wagon to
greet the most beautiful winter day the Steppe had ever known.

----------

         It was strange to wake up and see stone
walls on every side.  Though Kimberly had spent
most of her first year at Metamor waking to such
a sight, she’d spent the next waking to the
warmth of wood.  To be back in the Keep, even
just to visit for two days to attend Duke
Thomas’s wedding, made her feel dreadfully out of
place.  Her whiskers twitched in amusement as she
shared a cup of tea with Baerle.  Only a year in
a secluded woodland village and she felt more
like a rustic commoner than the daughter of a
noble house no matter how minor.  And it pleased her to feel that way.
         Baerle and her children had stared in
awe at the towers of Metamor when they’d arrived
yesterday morning.  Messengers from Metamor had
come several hours before the sun’s rays broke
the valley’s winter darkness to summon Misha for
some crisis.  As they were in need of mages,
Murikeer had volunteered to return as well.  A
few minutes of preparation and Kimberly, Baerle,
Kozaithy, and Sir Saulius had bundled themselves
and the children into the wagons and all together they journeyed to Metamor
         Misha left them to attend to the Duke’s
summons, Murikeer and Kozaithy joined Malisa’s
band of mages in their urgent tasks, and so it
was Sir Saulius who brought them to the Long
House where rooms were waiting for them.  The rat
knight had intended for them to get some sleep,
but with the children too excited, they had
deposited their things and went on a tour of the
Keep.  He showed them the castle and then the
sewers where they spent a few hours with the
other rats who were all delighted to see
them.  Goldmark showed them all the different
forms he could assume, while Hector whittled
little figurines for them with his incisors, and
Elliot and Julian performed sleight of paw tricks to amuse them.
         At Kimberly’s request, they then went to
the kitchens where she spent some time catching
up with Bernadette the mouse.  Kimberly’s
daughter whom she named after the mouse cuddled
into her namesake’s arms and they squeaked at
each other for some time.  Thalberg rushed in at
one point and was about to shout at all the rats
in his kitchens when he saw her.  He apologized
for his temper, complained briefly about
uncooperative nobles, and then departed to tend
to his portion of whatever crisis was sweeping the Keep.
         They would have toured the city, but
with so many gathered in Metamor for the wedding
festivities, they decided to stay inside the
castle.  Kimberly prayed in the Ecclesia
Cathedral and tried to encourage her children to
do so as well.  They mimicked her for a few
minutes before their restless natures got the
better of them.  Father Hough was pleased to see
them and gave each child a special
blessing.  They stared with wide eyes, stiff
whiskers, and scalloped ears at the priest, who
took great delight in making the sign of the yew on their expansive foreheads.
         But at last they retired for the evening
in the chambers Kyia had prepared for them.  Long
House was bustling in preparation for Misha’s
annual party, but by the time it began, Kimberly,
Baerle, and all four children were so exhausted
that they slept through it.  And they never saw
either Misha, Murikeer, or Kozaithy again that day.
         “I do wonder,” Baerle said as she sipped
her tea.  The children were scampering around the
room above them, squeaking as was their wont.
“What has this crisis been about?”
         “I’m sure we’ll either learn soon, or
not at all,” Kimberly replied with a gentle shrug
of her shoulders.  Her round ears turned to catch
the sound of little Erick shouting something
about being ‘it’ followed by renewed scampering.
“It is how things were with Charles.  He couldn’t
tell me why he had to leave most of the time,
only that it concerned Metamor’s safety.”
         “Lord Avery has never asked me to keep
silent,” Baerle replied and cradled the freshly
brewed tea in her paws. “But we rarely scouted beyond his lands.”
         “It had to be very important if they
would summon him back in the middle of the
night,” Kimberly mused and blew across the
surface of the tea. “I do wonder what has become of him.”
         Baerle lowered her snout. “Misha or Charles?”
         “Misha, but yes, Charles too.”
         Baerle leaned forward and rested a paw
on the rat’s knee. “He’ll be all right.  He’ll need you when he gets back.”
         Kimberly lifted her eyes to regard the taller opossum. “And you?”
         Baerle squeezed the rat’s knee. “That
can wait, but I’ll be there for him too if he wants me.”
         Both of their heads turned when a faint
squeaking came down the hall outside their
door.  A knock and the voice of the fox sounded
through. “Lady Kimberly?  It’s Misha.”
         “Oh, do come in!” Kimberly cried.
         The fox stepped through, looking a bit
bedraggled, but otherwise in good spirits. “Sorry
about yesterday, but it was a very long day.  I
would have come sooner, but I needed the party
last night to unwind.” He stepped inside the doorway but did not come further.
         “What happened?”
         “I needed to contact my
sister.  Something happened through the Valley
last night and they wanted her help.  Well,
something else happened at Marigund that has her
busy.  That didn’t please Malisa any, and it
scares my fur off, but there’s nothing else to be
done for it.  The first bit of good news is that
the crisis is past and there’s nothing more to
worry about.  Just don’t ask any of his grace’s
vassals how their day was yesterday.”
         The squeaking above them stopped.  The
children were listening to them.  In another
moment they would rush down the steps to greet
their Uncle Misha again.  Kimberly’s tail
twitched in anticipation of the wonderful sight.
“You said that was the first bit of good news?”
         Misha nodded, his exhaustion giving way
to the warm vulpine smile he reserved for those
he counted as family. “Duke Thomas received word
that the power of Marzac has been
defeated.  Charles and the rest have won their
battle over that evil.  And!” He held up one claw
to forestall Kimberly’s question, “I brought with
me the two visitors who saw Charles in Breckaris.  Okay Kurt, one last shove.”
         A different sort of squeaking followed,
and a beautiful woman sitting in a wheeled seat
rolled in followed by an olive-skinned young man
who appeared just old enough to wed.  He smiled
as he saw her and Baerle.  The woman’s face was
less certain, but the smile was genuine.  And
while the young man wore the uniform of an
officer of a Pyralian army, she was dressed in
black with a white garment underneath that
covered her hair but left her face exposed.
         Misha gestured to the two of them. “I’m
pleased to introduce Kurt Schanalein, heir to the
Duchy of Breckaris, and Tugal the postulant, who
will be staying in Metamor with the nuns.”
         Kimberly leapt from her seat and wrapped
her arms around the surprised Tugal.  She smiled,
and without shifting in her seat, returned the
hug. “You’re the ones who saw Charles.  Oh I’m so
happy to meet you both.” She then disengaged and
hugged Kurt, the top of her head coming up to his chin.
         Kurt stammered uncertainly, in his
embarrassment failing to hug the rat back. “You
are most certainly welcome, milady.” The scratchy
sound of claws descending the stairs made all of
them look up. “Their rats too!”
         And that was all he managed before the
four children scampered to their feet and
politely stopped and bowed. “We are honoured to
meet you,” they chorused in high-pitched squeaks.
         Tugal’s face for a moment was
unreadable, and then she smiled with a look of
rapturous wonder. “I have never seen four little
ones as adorable as you. My name is Tugal.  Who are you precious children?”
         Only Kimberly noticed Kurt shed a tear
as he watched the postulant greet her
children.  Quietly, Misha closed the door and
left these new friends alone to hear the tale of
Charles’s adventure in Breckaris.

----------

         Elvmere smiled at the sparrows as in
their cages as he went about his chores.  Celine
had assigned him the duty of cleaning their cages
as well as seeing to their feed.  It was mean and
humble work, which was precisely what he ought to
be doing after so many years in authority.  The
air stank with their droppings and echoed with
their endless chirping.  His head hurt from so
much noise and such foul odours that he had to
endure, but he loved his feathered charges still.
         Every day one of them would be
sacrificed on the altar, their blood an oblation
to the gods he now prayed to.  While he was
studious in following the prayers listed in
Elsevier’s prayer book, the raccoon was afraid he
often added unconventional verses to them.  Not
only did he pray for the aid of the gods, but he
prayed that their paths would be made straight
and that they would lead their people into
righteousness.  It was their task he felt sure, a
conviction that his instruction to date had not corrected him of.
         How could they properly serve the
All-Father Illuvatar if they did not lead men in
the ways of righteousness?  He could not imagine
it being any other way.  Not anymore.
         Most of the other acolytes did not know
who he had been and so far the Lothanasa had kept
it that way.  A few recognized him, but Celine
bade them keep it to themselves.  Still, they all
could discern that his situation was unusual and
so gave him a wide berth.  That and he smelled
like feces much of the time now, tending not only
to the disposal of bird droppings but to the
chamberpots of all who served the temple.
         And like any good stablehand, he knew in
time he would get used to the scent too.  Perhaps
he’d stink so badly Celine would make him sleep
with the birds.  But at least he still had his
Lady.  Nearly every night she came to him and
held him close, petting behind his head and
telling him how proud she was of him, and
assuring him that he was doing the right
thing.  Only one night she hadn’t visited, and
that had been two nights ago, the night Rickkter
had finally woken from his slumber.  Perhaps he
should ask Raven permission to see his fellow raccoon.
         His thoughts were interrupted by a
gentle knock on the door.  A very familiar voice
that tugged at his heart sounded. “Elvmere?  May I see you?”
         Elvmere turned, long striped tail
lashing behind him. “Priestess Nylene!  Please come in.”
         The Silvassan priestess entered, dressed
in her simpler travel gear. “I see you are
adjusting well to your service,” Nylene said with
a warm smile.  Her nose wrinkled once but she
made no more objection to the stink. “I have
heard very good things about you these last few days.”
         Elvmere lowered his eyes respectfully to
the priestess as an acolyte of their order
should. “I am serving.  That alone gives me great joy.”
         Nylene took a few steps toward him and
then turned to stare at the birds in their cages.
“You are not the same man I met six months ago.”
         “No, I’m not.”
         “Yet you still are,” Nylene replied,
gazing into his green eyes.  She sighed but did
not break their rapport. “I am very grateful for
the time we had together.  I may have taught
Malger longer, but I never loved him as I do you,
Elvmere.” The raccoon opened his muzzle but found
no words to say. “I am leaving Metamor now.  It
is a long journey back to Silvassa.  If I wait
any longer, my caravan will be just one of many
fleeing the Valley.  Now, before the Duke’s wedding, I can more easily travel.”
         “That is wise,” Elvmere admitted with a
long sigh.  He took the remaining steps toward
her and put his paw on her shoulder. “Journey
safely.  May all the gods guide your steps and put wind beneath your feet.”
         “And may they one day bring us back
together, even if only for an hour.” Nylene’s
smile blossomed brightly on her weathered
face.  She reached out one hand and cupped his
furry chin. “You may look like a beast, but I see
the most handsome of men.  Goodbye, Elvmere.”
         “Goodbye, Nylene hin’Lofwine.” His
whiskers twitched as her hand trailed through his
chin fur.  She turned and glided with solemn
grace back out the door.  It shut quietly, the
latch falling into place with a faint click.  The
raccoon sighed, ears turning this way and that as
they caught the song of the sparrows.
         A strange glow emanated from the far
corner of the room.  Elvmere turned and saw a
strange and familiar visage stepping out of a
shimmering curtain of shadowed light.  Long feet
preceded a long snout and ears, all of which was
summed up with a thick dusty-brown tail that
bounced up and down with each step.  He bore a
travelling tunic and breeches with a yellow
undershirt of a very tight weave.  His hazel eyes
found the raccoon and he shook his head. “I would
never have guessed it would be you.”
         Elvmere knew this figure, this
kangaroo.  The name leapt to his tongue. “Zhypar
Habakkuk.  What has happened to you?”
         Habakkuk chortled briefly and then
gestured with one paw at the raccoon. “I should
ask that question of you... Vin... no, you do not
go by that name now.  Elvmere.  An acolyte of the
Lothanasi no less.  And the answer to the last
line of my progenitor’s final prophecy.  You are
a surprise in more ways than one.”
         “I fear that surprise will not sit well
with an ardent Patildor such as yourself.”
         “You even speak as the Lothanasi do,”
Habakkuk observed. “I do not know why this came
to pass, but I am certain that it is just one
more mysterious turn in Eli’s holy plan.”
         Elvmere sucked in his breath as he noted
the faint translucence to the kangaroo’s flesh.
“You’re a spirit.  What happened?”
         “I died.  Do not fret for my soul.  I am
going to se my family again.” He looked to one
side and his ears lowered. “I fear for Lindsey
and will pray for her.” His eyes returned to the
white-smocked raccoon. “But as to why I am here
visiting you, I wanted to know what has always
been denied to me.  I knew one day the Felikaush
would come to an end.  I hoped that it would not
end with me.  A new prophet had to see a new
page.  The new age has come to this world, and so
the time has come for that new prophetic line.  I
wished to meet its progenitor.  Here I am.”
         “I do not understand,” Elvmere admitted,
shaking his head. “What of the others who accompanied you?”
         “All those from Metamor are well and
will return.  But as for me, I must now
leave.  Fare thee well, Elvmere.  I believe your
journey will have a few more twists to it before your labours are over.”
         Habakkuk nodded his head, smiled, and
then vanished into the curtain of light.  Elvmere
stared long after the curtain was only an image
burned in his eyes.  The shadows began to
disperse when someone else came knocking on the
door.  The raccoon shook his head, faintly
disturbed by the apparition, and cried, “Please come in.”
         And his heart skipped a beat as a very
familiar skunk stepped through, staring at him
with jaw agape. “Your grace!” Murikeer stammered,
paws spread wide. “What happened to bring you here?”
         Elvmere lowered his eyes and quickly
wrapped the skunk into a tight embrace.
“Murikeer!  Ah, lad, it is good to see you
again!  Did you find your father and your master?”
         Murikeer hugged and nodded. “Aye, I
found them.  They’ll be properly buried come the
Spring.  But how came you to be here?  What happened at Yesulam?”
         The raccoon sighed and glanced at the
chirping birds. “It is a long and sad tale.  I
have much to do before the wedding, but if you
can spare a few minutes I will tell you.”
         “Please,” Murikeer invited, shutting the
door behind him.  The skunk did not appear
offended by his stench. “It’s been so long since
we parted ways in Silvassa.  I must know.”
         Elvmere nodded and lowered his arms,
leaning back on his heels. “Six months.  Ah, I
hope one day we can travel together again.  But
for now I must serve here.  And how I came to be here, well...”

----------

         Kashin waited outside Patriarch
Geshter’s chambers as the afternoon sky warmed
the land.  His sessions with the Questioners had
taken him all day yesterday and most of the
morning.  Only a handful of Bishops had been
guilty of cooperating in Jothay’s scheme, and of
them, only Rott and Temasah seemed to know about
Akabaieth’s assassination.  He supposed he should
be grateful that the vast majority of the Council
were innocent, but far too many had willingly
joined Jothay’s evil cause.  How could such men serve the Ecclesia?
         Once his duties to the Questioners were
complete for the day — they’d retired early to
prepare for Yule — he’d come here to wait.  Nor
did he have to wait long.  Shortly after his
midday preparations, Patriarch Geshter returned to take his midday meal.
         The Patriarch was dressed in purple
vestments that he would change for white when he
offered the Mass of Yahshua’s Birth that
evening.  His thick face stretched into a pleased
smile when he saw Kashin waiting for him.  The
quartet of Yeshuel flanked him and all of them
smiled to their former member.  Outside the long
hall he could see several other priests who had
accompanied Geshter in his prayers but who now
left him to those few precious minutes he could have to himself.
         Kashin well remembered how Akabaieth
treasured his time alone.  When he hadn’t spent
it in prayer he was as likely to read Naval
treatises as he was theological works.  Geshter
appeared to prefer spending his time writing
scholarly tracts.  That is, when Kashin didn’t keep him occupied.
         Geshter smiled and extended his right
hand. “Ah, Kashin.  What brings you here on this beautiful Yule?”
         Kashin knelt and kissed the Patriarch’s
ring. “Your Holiness.  I’ve come seeking you on a matter close to my heart.”
         “Then let us sit and discuss it,”
Geshter gestured for him to enter his sitting
room.  The four Yeshuel stayed close but did not
follow him in.  Kashin they could trust.  Geshter
smoothed his vestments over once he sat and
favoured the black clad man with genuine warmth. “How go the deliberations?”
         “We should be complete by the New
Year.  There is little more to report.  I don’t
think we’ll uncover any other guilty parties at this point.”
         “Good.  Eli’s Ecclesia has been
cleansed.  We have you to thank for this, Kashin.”
         He nodded but did not smile. “But what
of Vinsah?  Will you lift his excommunication?  He was innocent.”
         Geshter’s smile fled. “Vinsah was
innocent of Akabaieth’s murder.  But his mind was
infected with pagan ideas.  Perhaps Marzac drove
me to overreact and a better solution could have
been found.  But it is done now.  I will send
someone to investigate him in the coming year to
see if we might lift his excommunication.  Until
then, I can only pray for his soul.”
         “But you were under Marzac’s influence
when you excommunicated him!” Kashin said in darker tones.
         “We do not know how far Marzac’s touch
influenced my decisions as Patriarch.  It is why
I am carefully examining these decisions now that
I have full use of all my faculties again.  Were
I too undo all of my decisions from that time, I
would be asserting that the power of Marzac is
greater than the promises of Yahshua.  I cannot do that.”
         Kashin simmered. “But Vinsah!  You gave
him worse punishment than either Rott or Temasah face!”
         Geshter sighed and his shoulders
slumped. “I know.  It is why I will send someone
to Metamor to investigate all that he said.  His
words still disturb me, Kashin.  This Lady of
his, I do not trust her.  And his claims about
magic and sorcery will have to be more thoroughly
examined before we can render judgement.  If any
are found, after investigation, to be heresy, and
Vinsah still clings to them, then his excommunication must stand.”
         “But you will offer him no relief until then?”
         “I will undo nothing until I understand
which of my decisions were corrupted by Marzac.”
Geshter frowned and gestured at Kashin’s
garments. “You still wear the black.  You cannot
change that until you are certain that justice
has been achieved.  To take the green before then
would be to act rashly.  So too would it be for
me to lift Vinsah’s excommunication until I know
if it was deserved.  Believe me, I pray for his soul every night.”
         Kashin licked his lips, the anger that
had flared in him fading.  He prayed for Vinsah
every night too. “I will take the green again,”
he said after several seconds silence. “Once our
investigations are finished.  Who will you send to Metamor?”
         “A Questioner, but after what happened
here, it will have to be one of the three they
know.  And even then they may not let them in the
gates.  I fear we have work to do there.” Geshter
put his hands on his knees and stood. “But for
now, I wish to pray.  But first, there is one
thing I wish to say that is dear to my heart.”
         Kashin rose with the Patriarch and asked, “What is it, Your Holiness?”
         Geshter locked his tired blue eyes onto
Kashin’s dark ones. “When you retake the green of
the Yeshuel, I would like to appoint you as the
head of their order.  None is more deserving than you.”
         Kashin kneeled and lowered his head. “If
it means I may once more protect that which matters most, then I will accept.”
         Geshter laid his hands on Kashin’s head
and his voice brimmed with warmth and fondness.
“Kashin, once of the Yeshuel and soon to be
again, you are Eli’s good servant, and I would
have no other at my side aiding me in the
monumental task of undoing all the evil Marzac committed against the Ecclesia.”
         “I will serve,” Kashin said, a light
penetrating into a corner of his heart that had
long been dark.  He smiled and accepted his
Patriarch’s benediction.  Yes, very soon, he
would be as he was born to be, a Yeshuel of the
Ecclesia.  Though there were many he cared about
whose troubles lingered, his terrible journey at
least was coming to an end.  He would pray night
and day while wearing the green that such grace
of Eli would fall on his friends too.
         When Geshter removed his hands, Kashin
rose, bowed, and left the Patriarch to his
prayers.  He bounced on the balls of his feet as
he strode the halls of the mighty cathedral.  It was time for his prayers too.

----------

         The Iron King heaved under a full
compliment of oars.  Over a hundred plied the
waters driving the vessel north toward
Marzac.  Phil had released the Pyralian sailors
to complement his own men in order to fill every
slot.  The Whalish blue sat next to the Pyralian
green and together they strove against the sea.
         Prince Phil spent much time conversing
with his fellow Keeper, the archduke of
Sutthaivasse, Malger Sutt.  There was little more
to learn of their common home in the north that
he had not already heard from his agents in the
Northern Midlands, but he did enjoy the tales of
Malger’s adventures in Sathmore and how he came
to reclaim his family’s house after so many years
of disgrace.  Malger, ever the jongleur, could
not resist their telling, but he did extract news
of Whales and was relieved to hear that Phil’s
father had recovered from his near fatal illness.
         Phil also spent time watching the
progress of their ship as it chased Aramaes.  He
was eager to see the rat whom he’d once shared a
deep bond of friendship.  Their enemies in Marzac
had nearly destroyed that friendship, turning
Phil into the very monster he’d always
loathed.  Phil shuddered as he recalled that
time, his last spent at Metamor, as he’d fallen
deeper and deeper under the sway of a magical
portrait of Zagrosek.  He’d begun plotting
assassinating his friends when news of his
father’s illness had reached him and broken through to his heart.
         Yet in all this time, he’d never had to
face Charles, the friend whose life he’d come so
close to destroying.  What could they say after
so many months and after parting in so painful a
way?  He conceived of a hundred different things
to say to the rat and hated all of them.  He
paced back and forth with only the stolid
presence of Rupert to comfort him.  The Great
Ape, wordless as he was, understood his fear and
offered what comfort he could by never offering
even a suggestion of doubt to the rabbit prince.
         When night came, Phil managed only a few
hours of restless sleep before he gave up and
tried to spend his time attending to the reports
he’d received from his commanders after the fall
of the Marzac fleet.  The dragons who’d come to
their aid had returned to Whales once their
victory was sure, and Malger’s Merai had been
seen only in fitful glances through the storm
dark waters.  Far too many on both sides had lost
their lives in the evil-begotten battle, and he
pondered the final thoughts of men controlled by
Marzac.  Were they able to pray to their gods for
absolution?  Or did they gleefully plunge
themselves into the abyss for a long dead Åelf’s nightmare?
         Rupert attended him patiently and
without complaint as the midnight hour passed
into the early hours before dawn.  The eastern
sky brightened with a grayish blue line along the
horizon.  And just as Phil’s heavy eyelids began
to droop, cheers rose from the men in the
galleys.  A moment later Captain Whiett knocked
on his door.  While Rupert let the captain in,
Phil glanced at the portholes but saw only the sea.
         “Your highness,” Whiett declared, a
broad grin on his face, “we’ve caught sight of
the Burning Hand.  They’re heaving to.  We’ll be abreast in ten minutes.”
         Phil nodded, all thoughts of returning
to his bed gone. “Good.  Be ready to transfer
Charles to our ship.  And have someone wake
Malger.  He’ll want to be here for this.”

         And, with naval precision, only ten
minutes later the Iron King slowed and retracted
oars as it came alongside the dromonai the
Burning Hand.  Aramaes stood on deck, his bald
head and chiselled features visible even from
afar.  But the most conspicuous figure was at his
side, nearly two feet shorter, sporting fur, a
muzzle, and a long scaly tail.  He was dressed in
breeches hastily modified to allow for his tail
and cut close to his hocks.  He wore nothing on
his chest.  Two Lothanasi symbols glowed on his
chest.  The right side of his face was marred by
a black hand print burned into his flesh.
         Phil swallowed, ears upright, and their
eyes met.  The rabbit tugged self-consciously at
the finery he’d borrowed from Malger who stood
beside him with his beastly countenance concealed
beneath his human guise.  The rat’s whiskers
twitched in the warm yellow light from the lamps
around both decks.  His muzzle drew back into
what the rabbit had long known was his
smile.  Phil’s heart beat firmly in his chest,
that same smile crossing his features.
         A ladder was lowered from the much
higher deck of the Iron Hand, and the rat
scrambled up with the alacrity his rodent nature
blessed him.  He brushed the blue pantaloons with
his paws as leapt onto the deck only feet from
where Phil, Malger, Whiett, and Rupert awaited
him.  He lowered his head respectfully to the
rabbit, and then jumped forward so quickly the Great Ape snorted in alarm.
         But Charles, long lost friend that he
was, wrapped his arms about the rabbit and held
him tight. “Oh Phil!  I cannot tell you how
grateful I am to see you!  Oh to see any of
you!  It has been so long since I have seen another Metamorian!”
         Phil laughed and wrapped his forelegs
around the rat as best he could.  A strange sort
of ivy met his paws behind the rat’s back.  But
Phil was too delighted to care. “And it is so
very good to see you, Charles.  What in all creation are you doing here?”
         Charles leaned back, looking up at the
startled Rupert with both warmth and apology in
his gaze, and then quickly over the others before
returning his eyes to the white rabbit. “Duke
Thomas sent us to destroy Marzac six months
ago.  We were fulfilling the prophecies that Habakkuk saw.”
         “Habakkuk?” Phil said with surprise.  He
well remembered the kangaroo, and had been
pleased to serve with him in the Writer’s
Guild.  Very withdrawn most of the time, but always faithful to his duty.
         “He knew what had to be done,” Charles
replied, a note of sadness filling him. “Sadly,
his own life was lost in the battle two days
ago.  He and one other, an ancient Åelf I knew,
gave their lives to defeat Marzac.  The rest of
us are well and safe, but we need help.  We have
no more supplies and are trapped on the Marzac
peninsula.  But now I know we shall be saved.”
         Phil nodded, saddened by news of
Habakkuk’s death, but hardened to it after their
long fight.  With one paw he reached up and drew
his friend into another embrace.  All the worry
in his heart over seeing the rat again was
banished. “And they will.  Tell us where to go
and we shall.  I will deliver you all back to Metamor myself!”
         Charles beamed brighter, his eyes
catching the first rays of the dawning sun.
“Thank you, Phil.  How is your father?”
         “Fully recovered,” Phil replied.  His
tone lowered. “Can you forgive me for what I did to you?”
         Charles looked aghast and shook his
head.  Phil’s ears dropped some. “Phil, I have
seen what Marzac did to men.  And I felt what it
tried to do to me. There is nothing to forgive.  I love you as a brother.”
         “And I you, Charles,” Phil stood
straighter. “Now, let me introduce you to the
others here.  And you must tell me how you came
by that remarkable scar on your face.”
         The rat laughed. “A Shrieker touched
me.  The journey to Metamor must be very
long.  We will have much time for telling our
tales.  Like how you came to commandeer a ship of
Pyralis.  But first, introduce us, and then let us find our friends again.”
         “Perhaps we should do so in your
chambers, your highness,” Malger suggested.
         Phil nodded. “We can strike for north
along the coastline.  When we see them we’ll get
in our boats and row to shore.”
         Charles stared at the many men of two
nations watching them with keen interest. “Why do
we need to hide there?  All have seen us for who we are.”
         Malger chuckled lightly. “Not quite, Charles.  I too am a Metamorian.”
         The rat glanced at him, eyes curious. “Born a woman then?”
         “Nay,” Malger replied. “My name is
Malger Sutt.  You knew me as Dream Serpent the
bard.  My shape is hidden beneath an illusion
that it is best I maintain for the time being.”
         Charles’s dark eyes widened and his
brown fur thrummed with his startled laugh.
“Truly!  I will never cease marvelling at all
that I’ve seen these last six months.  Then to
your quarters, Phil.  There is much we need to say and see.”
         Phil wrapped one arm about his friend
and together they walked the length of the Iron
Hand toward the state rooms in the
stern.  Captain Whiett remained behind to order
the captured vessel north.  The rabbit hopped
beside a friend he’d thought he’d lost, his heart
lifting higher with each step.
         And, as they passed into those makeshift
chambers, Phil realized that every sacrifice made
against Marzac had been worth it.  There never
was a price too high in the resistence of evil.

----------

         Duke Titian Verdane had been meeting
with his advisors one last time before
celebrating Yule when the letter arrived.  The
message had been passed unstopped from rider to
rider and horse to horse for many days to reach
him.  It bore the falcon seal of Duke Krisztov
Otakar XII of Salinon.  That could mean only one
thing, and so Verdane dismissed his advisors
apart from his son Tyrion.  The Prelate of
Kelewair waited patiently while his father broke the seal and read the letter.
         Titian took a goblet of wine and sipped,
fingers tensing as he recognized the careful letters of his eldest son, Jaime.

Father,

         I have just arrived in Salinon and have
been placed in a well apportioned tower after
meeting with my host, his grace Duke Otakar.  The
weather is very cool with a foot of snow on the
ground, and there is a draft that finds its way
through the windows no matter what I do.  But for
all that, I have been given sufficient clothing
to keep warm.  They have even been so kind as to
allow me to wear our wolf-head emblem.
         His grace has promised to treat me as an
honoured guest, and so far has kept that
promise.  I am not shackled, and have been given
free reign of my tower and the large courtyard
and garden it adjoins.  I have been told that I
will be granted a priest to bring me the Host and
to hear my confessions.  I have also been told
that his grace will be throwing a banquet soon to
celebrate the swearing of Lord Calladar’s
allegiance to Salinon.  I will be in attendance
and hope that Calladar chokes to death.
         I do not fear for my life, Father.  I am
going to be treated well so long as Otakar
controls Bozojo.  I am limited in what I can do,
but it will leave me plenty of time for prayer
and meditation.  Just being in this city brings
back many memories of Valada.  Perhaps my time
here will in some way repay the tragedy of her
death and the hostility that has followed.
         Do not fear for me either, Father.  I
know that you will do what is best for our
land.  You always have.  Give my love to Anya and
Tyrion.  And to Jory.  He will grow in time to be a strong leader of men.
         I am allowed to receive letters, and I
eagerly await any news you have to offer
me.  There is so much I yearn to hear and see,
but I will wait until that time comes.  I do not
believe I will die in this tower, but if I must,
the view is lovely, and the countryside speaks to
the soul.  Eli knows I am here, Father, and I
will do my best to trust in His inscrutable ways.

                                                                 Your son,

                                                                 Jaime Verdane

         Titian Verdane lowered the letter to the
desk and shook his head. “Anything I send Jaime
will be read by Otakar first.  If this letter is
to be believed, Jaime is being well-treated and
will not suffer during his imprisonment.”
         Tyrion reached forward, shifting his
club foot to one side, and snatched the
letter.  He scanned the contents and sighed.
“It’s Jaime’s handwriting.  What can we do for him?”
         “I fear he is offering himself as a
sacrifice for the greater good of our land,”
Verdane replied, a note of sadness filling his
voice.  The cold air crept through the open
casement and circled his flesh.  He huddled in
his robes and forced the tears to stay behind his
eyes. “Jaime, would you never learn?  What good
is a kingdom without sons to inherit it?”
         Tyrion’s eyes passed over the letter and
his shoulder slumped when he reached the end. “It
seems he’s asking you to make Jory your heir.”
         “I know,” Verdane replied unhappily. “Where is the boy?”
         “Unless he’s snuck off to the kennels
again, he is the Cathedral with his tutors
receiving morning Mass.” Tyrion tapped the top of
the letter to his chin. “Is there some way you
can turn his love for dogs to nobler purpose?”
         Verdane rapped his knuckles on the table
top. “Those dogs will be closer companions than
men for him in the years ahead.  He can make the
beast heel.  Now he needs to learn to make men
heel.” With a long sigh he rose and gestured to
the letter. “Leave that here with me.  It is time
I took Jory’s instruction upon myself.  Unless a
miracle occurs, I will listen to my lost son.  Jory will be my heir.”
         “Of course, Father,” Tyrion replied,
rising with him.  He left the letter on the
table.  The ends curled up and quivered in the
light brush of wind. “I will bring him to you after Mass.”
         “Thank you, Tyrion. Now bring me quill,
ink and parchment.  I must let your brother know of our love.”
         Tyrion quietly retrieved all three and
then left his father, the Duke of what remained
of the Southern Midlands, alone with his
thoughts.  It was time for the priest to
celebrate Yule even if there was no joy in his
heart.  Like all his prayers of late, he prayed
for Jaime’s safe return and the healing of his
country.  Tyrion made the sign of the yew before
his chest and hobbled the long walk to the Cathedral.

----------

         He’d known it would happen.  Everyone
had warned him that on this day he would feel
anxiety beyond description.  Even if Nasoj
himself led a million Lutins into the valley and
all hope seemed lost, he would not be as anxious
as this.  No calamity could compare, no threat to
his duchy could match it.  And, with his tail
flicking, lips frothing, and ears twitching in
nervous anticipation, Duke Thomas Hassan V knew that they had all been right.
         There was nothing that made a man so anxious as being married.
         He’d thought after the agony of cajoling
his vassals into staying at Metamor with both
magical assurance and promises of financial gain,
the marriage itself would be a pleasant rest.  It
was the one consoling thought through the many
hours of tense negotiations and repeated reports
from various mages that the Curse did not touch
any of them.  It alone gave him hope as he
promised away tax revenues and wealth to keep his
duchy together.  At the end of the day, after
successfully keeping his vassals at Metamor, when
he’d rested his head on the soft pillows of his
bed, he had realized that his bed would not be
his alone anymore.  It was his last sleep as an unmarried man.
         And now, standing near the altar in the
Lothanasi Temple, arrayed in his finest purple
robes with the crown of Metamor perched
uncomfortably atop his equine brow — it was the
first time he’d worn it since his coronation —
blue and gold tassels woven into his mane and
tail, golden braces fitted over his hooves, and
silken gloves covering his hoof-like hands —
which made him look like a show horse, which was
somewhat better than the plow horse his bride had
wanted to make him last April — with his devoted
Steward Thalberg at his side dressed in a rich
woolen blue doublet and hose — for once eschewing
his customary red robes — with a horse-head
medallion about his thick, green-scaled neck, and
a golden plume set between yellow eyes that kept
constant watch over Thomas and the vast array of
guests assembled in the pews to celebrate with
them ranging from the assorted vassals both
cursed and human all clustering in a mishmash in
the first few rows, their dress garish with
bright colours that banished the night and of
accoutrements that only a Metamorian of beastly
facade could wear to many of the Keep dignitaries
reclining behind them such as Lidaman, the Urseil
family, Will and Caroline Hardy, Misha Brightleaf
— who held Caroline’s paw very tightly — and
others who all wore dignified clothing befitting
their station to the mages who dressed in a
panoply of styles from alchemical mystery to
austere modesty and finally to the Keep staff and
other fortunate commoners who were able, through
fortune or felicity, to obtain an invitation
clustered in the pews furthest from the altar and
thus in the darkest part of the temple, Thomas
realized just what his marriage to Dame Alberta
Artelanoth, once a son of the Steppe and a knight
of Yesulam guarding the Patriarch, would mean not
only to him but also to the people of Metamor and
the Northern Midlands, and that made him even more nervous.
         For Thomas, it meant that the woman he’d
fallen in love with would ever more share his
bed, his table, and his life.  His duties as Duke
had always included seeing to the defence of his
domain, but now the reason for that defence was
tightened from the many to the one.  He would
protect Metamor to keep his bride safe.  But for
the people of Metamor, a married Thomas meant
continuity and stability for their land.  And it
meant that he would have to become a father in
his own right.  Their love for each other could
never be for its own sake, but always with a mind for their land.
         The very depth of his responsibility
humbled the horse lord.  Thomas glanced at
Thalberg, who regarded him with passive
confidence, the alligator long since resigning
himself to seeing his Duke wed the woman who’d
made him pull a wagon load of onions about
town.  He leaned closer to his friend and said in
a quiet voice, “It’s really happening isn’t it?”
         Thalberg nodded, long jaw cracking in a
reptilian grin. “That it is, your grace.  Your
people are ready to celebrate your good fortune this day.”
         “And their good fortune.”
         “Aye, their good fortune too.”
         Thomas shifted about on his hooves, the
tassels in his tail flashing on either side as
his tail tried to absorb some of his nervous
tension.  At the rear of the temple he could see
Raven standing just outside the doors while Merai
and Malisa fussed over her robes one last
time.  Somewhere behind them Alberta waited.
         “You’ll do fine,” Thalberg
whispered.  Thomas took a deep breath and closed his eyes.
         By the time he exhaled and opened his
eyes, Raven, Merai, and the acolytes in the
procession began singing a joyful chant.  Thomas
let his eyes pass over the white-robbed wolf and
cat, the many acolytes in less refined attire,
ever keeping his eye on the rear of the
temple.  All in attendance stood, their gaze
moving to the back to the awaited arrival of the
bride.  Thomas’s heart pounded against his ribs.
         Malisa took up the rear of the
procession, dressed also in the Hassan blue.  She
wore attire that did not try to hide her
femininity while still remaining masculine in
appearance.  Her broad face beamed at Thomas,
pride and hope filling her eyes.  She carried a
damask purple pillow trimmed with gold tassels on
which rested a slender crown.  The crown was
fashioned from gold with a single sapphire of an
exquisitely deep blue fixed into the apex.  It
had been many years since this crown had been worn.
         Following her, a bouquet of flowers from
the greenhouse in her hearty paws, was Jenn the
wolverine and wife to Sir Andre Maugnard.  Thomas
had wondered who Alberta would choose as a
bridesmaid.  Jenn was an intimidating but good
choice.  He glanced at the crowd but couldn’t
find the Maugnard family, though he knew they had to be somewhere.
         His search was arrested as the joyful
chant lowered to a prayerful beat, Raven and
Merai taking their places before the altar.  The
acolytes fanned out to attend to their
duties.  Malisa stood just past Thalberg.  And
once Jenn’s paws stepped from the gilded red
carpet, into the temple processed two figures who
moved with stately grace.  The first, with a full
set of antlers only weeks from falling off, was
dressed in the green tabard of Yesulam blended
with the blue of the Metamorian crest.  The elk’s
snout turned upward in pride, his sword bouncing
against his thigh with each step.
         In the crook of Sir Yacoub Egland’s arm
rested the hoof-like hand of the bride.  She was
covered from long ears to hooves in a white gown
overflowing with veils cascading from her head
and shoulders like waterfalls of lace.  Her long
snout was visible beneath the lace, but from a
distance Thomas could only tell that it was his
Alberta striding forward, her hooves muffled on
the soft carpet.  He smiled like an idiot as he
stared at her, his hide trembling as if dislodging a legion of flies.
         Before he knew it, the pair had reached
the base of the altar.  Egland paused, stopping
just before the steps, letting her hand slide
into his.  His brown eyes met Alberta’s gaze for
a moment, and a lifelong conversation passed
between them in that moment.  The elk swallowed,
nodded to Alberta, and let go of her hand.  She
smiled back to him, inclined her head once, and
then walked toward Thomas’s side.  Egland
retreated to the front row seat prepared for him
careful not to strike the badger Baron
Christopher with his antlers and watched with the rest.
         Through the veil Thomas could see her
eye gaze into his as they both turned to face the
altar.  Their hands met, thick fingers brushing
hard nails against each other.  Raven stood
between them and the altar and offered
supplication to the gods.  Alberta lowered her
head and her lips moved with a prayer to
Eli.  Thomas, like all the Lothanasi in
attendance, lowered their heads to join their prayers to Raven’s.
         When the Lothanasa finished, she turned
around and bade everyone sit.  She then, with
Merai’s assistance, proceeded with the marriage
ritual.  Thomas heard the words, the admonitions
and advice, but found it impossible to remember
anything.  He followed the rituals and so too did
Alberta.  Raven had taken some time to tell her
what would be done, but Thomas had been too busy
to help her.  He hoped that would never be the case again.
         The minutes passed so quickly that
before he knew what was happening, Raven was
guiding him through his vows.  The words flowed
from his tongue, shaped by his supple lips,
resounding through the temple with the aid of a
simple dweomer.  He stared deeply through the
veil into Alberta’s eyes, every word a bolt of love from his heart into hers.
         And then, Alberta repeated the vows to
him, and he felt himself growing in stature.  The
weight of the crown no longer hurt his ears.  The
watchful eyes of the crowd no longer bore into
his dignity.  There was nothing other than Alberta and he in the chamber.
         Raven’s voice, full of warm delight,
intruded upon their quiet interlude. “As a sign
of your newfound union, you may now kiss.”
         Thomas stepped closer to his bride, his
wife.  He lifted the veil from her face, draping
it behind her ears and over her black mane.  Warm
brown eyes met him, her grey hide fresh and
clean.  Her nostrils flared with excitement and
the two leaned closer, pressing their lips
together, pushing away from their broad teeth to
connect.  He gripped her shoulder, and then two
slipped into a tight embrace.  Cheers ascended around them on all sides.
         When Thomas and Alberta broke the kiss,
eyes still locked, Malisa stepped forward with
the crown.  Thomas took it between his fingers
and while Alberta lowered her head, he
pronounced. “Alberta Artelanoth.  I wed thee and
bring thee into my house, the house Hassan.  And
with it, all the rights and privileges of my
house are extended to thee.  As my wife, my
throne thou shalt share.  And so I crown thee,
Duchess Alberta Hassan of the Northern Midlands!”
He lowered the crown until it nestled between her
long ears.  She stood straighter, regal in
bearing as all of their subjects applauded and cheered.
         Together, hand in hand, they passed in
resplendent train through the temple, as Raven
and the Lothanasi sang the final benediction for
the newly married couple.  And then all the bells
in Metamor rang to announce their great
fortune.  Thomas tucked Alberta’s arm close in to
his as they walked side by side, husband and
wife, and knew that he had never seen a more glorious day than this.
         All the gods be praised, he exulted in
his heart, and bless Metamor with their abundance
as they had him.  He smiled to Alberta who smiled
back.  As one they left the temple, forever more
united in marriage and in love.

----------

         The place the Magyars chose to spend the
night was covered in several inches of
snow.  They were long used to clearing snow and
before the sun kissed the western horizon with
its red lips, they had swept the semicircular
area between their wagons enough for the Assingh
to feed on the stalks and for the men to arrange
logs for the fires.  And being the first night
reunited beyond the desolate land where Cenziga
had once stood, all who were able came out to celebrate.
         Gamran danced with Thelia, Pelgan showed
Pelurji how to throw a knife, Chamag demonstrated
to the young boys the fierceness of his
curse-begotten fangs by tearing through hard,
salted mutton, Gelel impressed the girls coming
of age with his mighty deeds in Yesulam, Nemgas
and Kisaiya reclined together fashioning wedding
links from dried reeds, Hanaman sang songs of
past glory with the elder men, Zhenava led the
women in a dance of their own, and across the
encampment Grastalko and Bryone gazed at each other.
         It had taken all of Grastalko’s
self-composure to keep from telling Bryone his
good fortune the first moment he’d seen her come
out to join the others in celebration.  But
Nemgas had suggested to him a way to tell her and
all why they should be together.  And so he
waited, allowing her ample time to see his
disfigured face.  He’d spent some time examining
himself in Rabji’s small mirror that
afternoon.  He truly did appear a monster caught
transforming betwixt a human guise and its real
form.  Though he knew they would never mean to
hurt him, many of the Magyar’s had recoiled at
first when they saw him.  But each was ashamed of
it, and none did so twice.  That solace was
enough for him to know that amongst his people,
his fellow Magyars, he was no different.
         While he watched Varna and the cooks
bring the cookpots and ingredients out, he
realized that it was the Yule.  The Driheli would
be celebrating in Stuthgansk with feasting, ale,
songs and prayer.  He lowered his eyes and
offered prayers for their health and Eli’s
blessings.  They were good people, despite how
they were used, and he would love them all his
life.  But, he knew it in his heart, he truly was
a Magyar and would be so until he took his last breath.
         “Grastalko!” Hanaman shouted, waving his
arms and beckoning him toward the log
piles.  Varna and the cooks erected a black
cauldron over the largest. “‘Tis time.”
         He nodded, eyes finding Bryone in the
crowd.  He walked past her and offered her a
smile full of confidence.  She gazed back,
longing, but eyes rich in melancholy.  He angled
toward Hanaman, while Nemgas and his friends
gathered, making sure to keep low so that all
could see. “I hath come, Hanaman.” He stood tall,
wrapping his hands before his waist, the ruined
covering the hearty. “What wouldst thee have of me?”
         Hanaman gestured to the wood. “Wilt thee give us thy gift?  Show us.”
         Grastalko nodded. “‘Tis my greatest
pleasure to give what I hath to my fellow
Magyars.”  He lowered his eyes to the wood and
extended his charred arm.  He spread the fingers
wide.  The wrinkled hide of his left cheek drew
taut.  All the blaze within him focussed on the
logs.  They sizzled from dampness and then orange
flames licked across their surfaces and tasted the cauldron’s base.
         Nemgas and his friends cheered.  Many
gasped and then cheered their good
fortune.  Another Magyar who didst possess
magic!  Grastalko smiled and bowed his head to
Hanaman who gazed at him with fatherly pride, and
then turned back to Bryone.  The frail girl’s
mouth hung open in hope, and then she rushed
forward, throwing her arms around his shoulder and kissing his ruined cheek.
         Grastalko cried in joy and held her
tight. “I dost love thee, my Bryone!”
         Tears streamed down her cheeks as she
wet his face with her lips. “I love thee too, my Grastalko!”
         “Then consent to be my wife!”
         “I am already thine.  Command me and I wilt obey.”
         Grastalko stopped her form kissing him
for a moment, holding her chin with his good
hand.  Their eyes locked and he felt all the
world vanish but for her. “Be thou as thou art
now and forever.  I want thee and nothing more.”
         Bryone smiled, exhaling with joy. “Thou
hast it!  And I hast thee and want thee ne’er to change.”
         His fellow Magyars roared their approval
as he kissed her with equal ferocity.  At last,
the hole in his heart was filled.
         Nemgas held Kisaiya close as he watched
the two lovers embrace.  His eyes lifted to the
sky as the sun set bright and crimson.  He looked
to the west from whence they’d come that day, and
yet no blue star came to mar the dusk.  The
Steppe was theirs again.  He turned to Kisaiya
and sighed peacefully. “‘Tis good to be
home.”  She could only nod and rest her head against his breast.

----------

         Dusk was fast approaching.  Kayla
stretched her toes and reclined on a rock jutting
into the sea.  It had taken nearly the whole of
the day to walk from the ruins to the western
edge of the Marzac peninsula.  Even with a full
day of rest, all of them were exhausted from the
trek.  They’d erected their tents, and she could
hear James the donkey snoring loudly.  Less so,
Vigoreaux and Lindsey who had said little during
the day’s hike.  The rest remained more or less
awake tending both to a makeshift fire and to the
signal light shining above them.
         Everything had been destroyed in the
cataclysm, and so the entire hike had been
through mud caked ruins of stone and wood.  Roots
and brambled clawed at their feet tripping them
and catching in their fur.  Several times the mud
sucked at them, swallowing them into captured air
pockets beneath the surface.  If not for the
strength of Jerome, Andares, and Sir Autrefois,
or the magic of Guernef, Abafouq, and Jessica,
both James and Kayla would have been suffocated in a prison of miserable earth.
         “Kayla?” Jerome said behind her. “Come
on back.  Andares is going to cook something to eat.”
         Kayla twisted at the waist, her long
tail swinging clear. “Andares’s is cooking?” She
chuckled for a moment and shook her head. “There
is a first time for everything.” The skunk
lowered her eyes and stared across the sea.  Her
voice became distant, introspective. “Jerome...
do you think... do you think it was worth it?  So
many had to die.  I never knew Habakkuk before,
but he became a friend.  And Lindsey.  How long
before she heals?  I’ll see Rickkter again when
we return to Metamor. But she’ll never see him again.”
         Jerome crossed his hands behind his back
and sucked on his lower lip. “Zagrosek was a
friend since childhood.  And yet he had to
die.  Charles and I helped the Marquis defeat the
power hungry Handil Sutt ten years ago.  And
though he’d never been a friend, I hated seeing
him die too.  We’re in a fight against evil.  If
all we seek to do is save ourselves we can never
save others.  Zhypar understood that.  Lindsey
does too.  She will heal and we will be here for her as long as she needs us.”
         Kayla scuffed her claws against the
rock. “Will you stay in Metamor when we return.”
         The Sondecki shrugged. “I don’t
know.  If I am needed, yes.  Charles and I will
need to discuss returning to Sondeshara at some
point in the near future.  We need to heal the
rift within our clan and there can be no better
time than now, but I know he has to see and spend time with his family first.”
         “True.  He’s told us so much about his
children, I’m anxious to meet them.”
         “Me too.  Especially...” Jerome gasped
and dashed the last few steps to reach Kayla’s
side.  He stared hard to the southwest, and then
jumped, laughing for joy.  Kayla stare with him,
and there on the horizon, growing with each
second, was a fleet of ships. “Praise Eli!  They’re here!”
         Kayla shouted for joy and beat her fists
against her knees.  On her hips, the dragon swords thrummed with delight.

         Charles bounced from paw to paw as the
row boats crossed the distance from the Iron Hand
to the shore.  Phil and Malger were with him,
while the lurking presence of Rupert blotted out
the sun.  Whalish sailors pulled oars for three
boats, furiously seeking the shore.
         The rat saw his friends clustering on
the bank, and he waved to them, jumping up and
down.  The Great Ape grunted at the rat; but he
needn’t have worried about Charles tipping the
boat.  He knew precisely where to step to keep it steady.
         And then, as the oars began to scrape
the sandy bottom, Charles jumped from the boat
and ran, his paws barely sinking beneath the
water’s surface.  His friends who’d shared the
last six months of their lives together all leapt
from the edge of the land and ran toward
him.  They met as the boats pulled close, and
hugged tight, laughing with a delight they couldn’t describe.
         Andares found his voice first. “That is
a mighty vessel you have brought for us, friend Charles.”
         “And mighty friends have come with it!”
the rat declared.  As the row boat caught up to
them, he gestured to its inhabitants. “May I
present, Prince Phil of Whales, his aide Rupert,
and Malger Sutt, once called Dream Serpent.”
         Phil stood in the boat, and his eyes
brimmed with good cheer. “Kayla!” He did not leap
into the water, but the skunk sloshed through the
knee-high water and grabbed the rabbit out of the boat and hugged him tight.
         “Your highness!  I never thought to see you again!”
         Phil laughed and hugged her back. “And
how did my favourite assistant come to be in so desolate a land as this?”
         “It’s a long story, Phil.  And once
gain, you’ve come to save me when I’ve gotten in over my head!”
         He laughed as the rest clustered close.
His eyes alighted upon the black hawk and he blinked. “Jessica?  Is that you?”
         The hawk nodded, bending at her waist to
keep her tail feathers out of the water. “It is
I, Phil.  I have a message for you from Wessex.”
         The rabbit’s ears folded back. “From
Wessex?” His heart pounded from both excitement
and anxiety.  But he mastered the lapine
instincts and nodded. “Tell me over dinner.  Tonight we feast.”
         “And feast well,” Malger added, smiling
as he gazed across the weary travellers. “I
daresay that no tale I have ever spun can match what you have seen.”
         Abafouq, who stood with his armpits only
inches above the lapping water, laughed and then
sighed as he hugged to Guernef’s side.  The
Nauh-kaee’s wings kept close to his back, his
impassive eyes soft with relief. “There be much
hardship and sadness in its telling.” But the
smile could not stay banished from his face for long. “But much joy too.”
         Charles hugged James and helped the
donkey climb into the first raft.  Lindsey
followed, nearly capsizing the rowboat as she
swung one hearty leg over the side.  The rat
steadied her and said, “The fight is won, the
evil has been vanquished, and now we return
home.  What greater joy can we have in this life,
so long as we share it together?”
         “There is none,” Andares replied with a
long sigh.  He and Sir Autrefois helped Vigoreaux
into one of the rowboats. “We shall feast to our
departed friends, and to those who have come to our rescue.”
         Kayla hoisted Abafouq over the side of
Phil’s vessel.  Rupert grabbed the Binoq and set
him down dripping wet onto one of the seats.  He
then hoisted Jessica on board and set the hawk
next to him.  Malger aided Kayla as she climbed
aboard.  Guernef walked back to the shore, spread
his wings and leapt into the air.  A few moments
more and all of them were in boats, and the sailors began turning them about.
         The two Lothanasi symbols that glowed on
the rat’s uncovered chest brightened for a
moment, casting everyone around him in a warm
rose hue, and then faded until nothing of them
remained.  Charles rubbed the fur with one paw,
whiskers standing out straight in surprise.
“They’re gone.  We defeated Marzac two days ago.  Why now?”
         “Perhaps,” Lindsey suggested in a quiet
voice, “because for the first time in six months,
we are heading not to Marzac, but to home.”
         All of them began to nod.  Andares
rested a hand on the red-furred kangaroo’s
shoulders.  The rat looked over their faces as
the Iron King’s starboard hull neared. “We’ve
been travelling this way so long,” Charles said,
one paw reaching behind his back to stroke at the
ivy that nestled above his tail, “it is strange
to think that we will never come back this way again.”
         “Perhaps not,” Phil mused. “But now we are going someplace better.”
         “Home,” Malger intoned softly.  In that
one word all their hearts rested.
         “Home,” Charles repeated. “I’m ready.”
         James glanced over his shoulder at the
desolate land.  His ears lifted high and he waved
one hand. “Goodbye, Marzac.  May you always rest.”
         Rupert, the Great Ape, surprised and
joyed them all when his tongue loosed in a single bold word. “Amen!”