[Mkguild] Story Fragment for Review/Revising. Psion: Blight of the Holocaust (Part 1 of 4ish).

R L misterbackground at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 00:19:56 EDT 2009

 Worries of a Wolf. [Date: around a summer solstice]

He's dead. He's finally dead.

The bastard I called "master" for longer than any wolf should have lived is
nothing more than a charred corpse. The cuts, teethmarks, and arrows are
obscured by the burns from the strange flames that seemed to come from
nothing. His armor and clothing are now burned into the skin itself. This
man was fortunate he wasn't wearing any metal, as was his way apparently.

He isn't the only one who's dead; below the stone floor lay three other
humans. The trap was quite genius: the ground simply vanished as soon as
they were too far in the room to escape, and reappeared after they fell.
Looking around, one could never tell that walking in there would lead to
certain death. The lone rabbit was apparently not heavy enough to trigger
the device.

That rabbit saved my life.

The man's corpse is surrounded by half a dozen other creatures, all of which
wanted him dead: monsters, demons, and animals forced to do his bidding.
Their bodies, along with curtains and other decorations, still burn,
emitting an unpleasant odor. Heat from the fires still permeates through the
room and makes me pant. I can't move; the carnage attracts my gaze more than
any attempt resist. As distasteful as it may sound, the sight of this horror
eases me. Even the barely audible crack of the flames calms my soul.

When the trap took his comrades, he went after the rabbit potentially
responsible for their deaths in a blind rage. Unfortunately for him, the
tortured creatures were out of the room at the time, so they took advantage
of this situation. Of course, one does not keep such company without the
means to protect one's self. The druid was easily strong enough to hold them
all off, or he would have had it not been for the fire.

Only two of us survived. Being two times bigger and five times stronger than
most wolves, as well as the druid's favorite, I had numerous advantages to
keep myself alive. Despite his favor, he did get some joy in beating and
cutting me with whatever weapon he could get ahold of, and my scars prove
it. Retaliating would normally have been suicide, but nothing was normal
about what just happened. While the man wasn't very happy being ripped to
shreds not ten minutes ago, I sure as hell was for once. The only other
survivor is the lagomorph at the center of this chaos.

The rabbit has just been standing there ever since, staring at the man we've
wanted dead for as long as any of us have known him. His eyes, which for
over a year had shown only pain and fear, now display a determination the
likes of which I have never seen. They now emit a vicious glow that defies
description. The pain is still in there, though it is now dwarfed by pure
rage. The lapine's fear is now replaced by pure hatred toward an obvious
target.

Now I'm the one who's afraid. Not of the nameless rabbit, though. After
examining at the carnage, it's entirely possible he could kill me with
little effort, but when looking at me his eyes only display gratitude behind
the strange glow =97 a strange sight to a 5-foot-tall predator from what wo=
uld
be prey had either of us not been intelligent. We are finally free of that
bastard, and my traveling partner's grateful for my contribution to his
death. I'm happy to return the gratitude.

What I do fear, however, is the hereafter. Despite how despicable he was,
the druid who uplifted us was the center of my life for years. Now that the
bastard's gone, there's nothing for me to do. What future exists for a
monstrous wolf covered in scars and burns from nose to tail? The same fate
may await the rabbit as well. I find myself actually concerned about him,
another consequence of circumstance that would be laughable were this the
appropriate time.

I don't like calling the rabbit "it," but the nameless one seems rather
reluctant to see itself as a creature. Calling the lapine by the name master
gave him only brings a shake of his head. When pressed about the subject, he
just looked away coldly. Silence is mostly all we've said to each other
since the druid's attack. However, that finally broke with a high-pitch
squeak that took me some time to realize was a voice...

"I swear..." the rabbit finally spoke. He looked over his shoulder at me
with those fear-inducing eyes. The irises, once a typical dark brown, now
glow a bright shade of blue that matches the spherical jewel that I can only
assume is the true source of my current fortune. In them is an insight and
confidence that was never there since the now nameless one was made
intelligent a year-and-a-half ago. "I swear to you, with this power..."
Despite the small size, the voice suddenly became deep and harsh.

"I will destroy humanity."

And suddenly I'm no longer afraid.

I'm terrified.
------------------------------
 Rants of a Former Rabbit. [about one year later]

"So how recently do you think it was cut down?"

"Dunno, a tenday?" replies the heavily scarred ex-wolf.

"You're asking *me*?!" I exclaim, raising my ears and doing the best to
point to myself, then motioning my paw to one of the tree stumps. "What do
you expect me to do, read its non-existent mind?" The stump in question is
at the border of a forest and what used to be a part of said forest. The sky
behind me filled with green beauty and shadows, before me it is bright and
empty.

He smiles, holding back his amusement. Despite the ferocious appearance, it
doesn't look intimidating in the slightest. "I've seen you do stranger
things."

I chuckle, my ears flopping a bit . "True enough, but this isn't something
I've thought about. I'll meditate on it if I have nothing else to practice,
but don't expect much, if anything at all. Besides, I asked first since you
best my worldly experience by a decade."

"Yeah, but I'm not a three-year-old rabbit who can set things on fire with
his mind. Its mind, sorry." He continues to survey the area, obviously
considering the slip-up he made. It doesn't bother me too much when it's
just a misused pronoun, but I do find it rather annoying that he still
considers us animals. "How's that illusion power coming along, by the way?"

"*Former* rabbit! As for illusions, psionics isn't exactly made for
manipulating things unrelated to life and energy. Besides, it's much easier
to trick the mind into seeing something that's not really there," I say
truthfully. While it turns out light in itself is actually a kind of energy,
manipulating it enough to create a believable image is well beyond me, and
perhaps even my teacher, Sapphire, as well.

"Yeah, when there's one or two minds. It's not all that useful in crowds."
The wolf smells one of the stumps that has some kind of stain, then
stretches. "My legs are still stiff from running from those knights two
weeks ago."

I shrug. "Can't be helped. Psychokinesis is easy, telepathy's cake, but I
haven't worked on metacreativity much." While metacreativity may or may not
be related to illusions, it is best to not mention the fact that light is
energy, even humans have been killed by claiming simpler things, true or
otherwise. "As for your legs, why didn't you tell me you were having
problems with them?"

He tries, and to my surprise fails, to show off his tough-guy attitude. "I
tried to simply walk it off. Besides, you could have just read my mind to
see if I was feeling any pain."

I try my best to look forceful and dominating, which is damned hard when I'm
less than a tenth than my target's size, not to mention a potential meal.
"Telepathy takes power, and there really isn't a reason to waste it on you.
I trust you to be more vocal of your troubles; it takes much less effort for
me to cure the illness than to mitigate the symptoms."

He looks at me quizzically. "Trust? When'd you learn to do that?" A grateful
expression covers his face.

It took a long second for me to recover from laughing. "You misunderstand:
we're useful to each other; if one of us isn't at our best, both halves
suffer. I know some psychometabolism and would have easily fixed your legs
to make our trip smoother." He apologizes guiltily, as if to gain my
sympathy. "I'll fix it later. For now we still have this to worry about," I
say while making a sweeping motion in the direction of the stump-filled
area.

He didn't speak at first; I make a mental note to find out what's on his
mind tonight when he sleeps. My memory is not truly eidetic, but the mind is
easy enough to manipulate to mimic one. The large ex-beast sniffs around
some more and examines a few more stumps. "They don't too look worn, and the
scents are weak. I assume that this was done rather recently, between a week
and a month."

"There are a lot of trees cut down here. Damned pricks think the world is
theirs because they've learned to hit each other with sharpened sticks. Why
would humans need this much wood?"

"Hard to say; there are too many reasons to count. Worst case scenario I can
think of is a population boom, best case: war." To a human, it would appear
that this statement was backwards, but the ex-wolf knows better.

"That's the *best* case? Yes most of the damage will be done to themselves,
but they'll most likely kill and destroy everything in their path. Who knows
how many more trees the humans will destroy, not to mention the animals.
Worse yet, think about what could happen if magi get involved."

"Humans would hunt anyways, all that would change is where," the giant
former wolf responded coldly. "Also, keep in mind that during wars, they are
loud and generally target themselves, animals can easily escape the chaos.
Only scouts could notice them, but risk exposure to others when doing so."

"Good point." I may be smarter, as in a faster learner, than him, but the
ex-lupine is actually very intelligent in his own right, and has a great
deal more experience than myself, both in life and in battle. Fortune made
it my partner.

"As for magi, would you rather them focus their talents on ways to kill each
other, or be at peace so they can perform more experiments?"

"I'd rather they do neither, they'll upset the Balance either way," I say
with a sigh. Humans once were a part of nature. However, at some point they
learned how to manipulate the flow of magic and create tools for the sole
purpose of destruction. Combine those abilities with their inborn ambition,
and abominations like me and the ex-wolf come into existence. Should these
trends continue, their efforts could do irreparable damage to the world.
"Regardless, I should probably find out what they're up to."

He nods. "I agree, but at the same time don't like it when you go out on
your own." A look of concern covers his face.

"Can't help that. If people see me, they'll be all 'aw, look at the cute
bunny!'" I said, trying to imitate an idiot (i.e. human) child. "One look at
you and they'll either run or attack. It's easiest for me to catch them off
guard."

"You forgot one possibility: 'Hey, food!'" Unlike myself, he says this with
concern. I know now that this is pack mentality rather than an actual
preference to see me unharmed. My partner only follows because he considers
me the alpha, so the concern is one of an animalistic sense of duty,
something left over from the wolf used in the uplifting.

As for myself, however, the combination of 18 months of torture and complete
control of minds forced the destruction of the leftover instincts of my
rabbit component. It was the only way to survive, not to mention stand and
talk with this giant furred mass of fangs and claws without running like
hell. Psionics makes me very deadly, and impossible to detect outside of
large crowds, but one lucky shot by a weapon or magic likely marks the end.
I've seen the ex-wolf take an arrow to the head and *live,* and as an added
bonus, pay the attacker back in kind with his fangs. Both of us can dish
punishment, sadly only *he* can take it.

"Ah yes, I did forget about that one. Eh, if they think that, I'm sure I can
change their minds." Ha ha, double entendre, triple if I knew any
transmutation powers.

He got a kick out of it too, although I can tell it pained him more than
anything. "And the dogs?" he asked after recovering.

"Those human loving bitches and their sons? I can hide my smell from them if
I have to, but I'd *really* like to try my new head-exploding power."

This actually makes him frown, something he couldn't do before he was
"uplifted," as the bastard called it. "Are you sure that's wise?"

"No. But I *really* want to use it!" I responded with a grin. The uplifting
gave us a few characteristics that humans can relate to. Facial expressions
and emotional reactions that mimic them are the most noticeable changes. Our
eyes also seem to look a little different, looking as though there's
"something" inside, but I've yet to meet a human that can see the
difference.

"Stay out of the open to avoid attention. Also, don't do anything that might
make them suspect that you're the cause of the chaos I *know* you're going
to be responsible for. Keep in mind that there's only one of you."

"Whatever." That statement about there only being one of me, though, brings
up a major concern. I'll have to look into fixing that problem. "So do you
know where I can find the humans now?"

"Their scent leads northwest for about..." He sniffs the air a bit. "...5
miles. There's a river at that point, and from there I can't tell if they
stayed there, crossed it, used it for transport." His magically enhanced
sense of smell is damned impressive. I swear he could track a specific
snowflake in a blizzard.

"How come you can't tell if they're still there? Surely their scents would
be pretty strong if they lingered in the same place. Even my own could do
that, and you know how much foul smelling stuff the humans make."

"It's possible they have magi hiding their scents, a useful technique for
keeping predators out." He smiles "The stupid ones, at least."

"*Great.* I hope you're wrong about the magi." When it comes to actively
taking humans out, magi aren't an issue; the armies that tend to flock
around them are. "I'll need to prepare, but it's getting late. Let's just
find a place to sleep for the night." While I would like to immediately go
there and find out what the humans are up to, it's more wise for me to
confirm my companion's loyalty. Sapphire should also know something about
the problem that should I be destroyed, humanity will continue to exist.

"Yes, you will need to rest for tomorrow before investigating, particularly
if it turns out to be a kingdom as opposed to a simple group of lumberjacks.
I * know* you're going to cause hell, and would like my step-brother to come
out alive."

"Of course you would." I reply coldly. Step-brother my ass.
------------------------------

It only took about 15 minutes to find a suitable dell. Redfang, as he still
likes to be called, went out to hunt some actual animal to eat immediately
after I healed his legs. In the meantime, it was time to dig a temporary
warren for myself. This would take days before my awakening, but with the
help of psionics this once time-consuming task trivial.

In the first few months after obtaining psionic powers, I would use
psychometabolism to enhance my muscles, increasing my strength and digging
speed. After some practice, burrowing a decent warren in only took
half-an-hour. More difficult powers, such as those in the psychokinesis
subset, were later used to disintegrate dirt, cutting that time in half.

My ever-growing list of powers later provided a much better way to prepare
burrows. Over time, I learned how to create different forms of energy using
my psychokinesis: fire, heat, cold, lightning, and force, just to name a
few. In addition, Sapphire taught me a way to give these energies an extra
kick. Imagine being hit by a ballista point-blank, then set the bolt on
fire. That's about half of it. A single line of fire into the ground
produces a decent warren for a night if not a lifetime.

Time of creation: 12 seconds.

With a place to sleep now made, it was time to gather some food for myself.
This is hardly an issue, mostly because grass is *everywhere*. Psionics,
again, cuts back the time needed to do common tasks, and allows quicker
digestion. I don't even have to chew to keep my teeth from growing, or even
make the food taste better=97or to be more accurate, trick the mind into *
thinking* that. Hell, if desperate enough, I could alter my body enough to
be able to digest meat (this was done once on some fox that tried to hunt me
down; don't really see what the big deal is).

I just finished eating when my comrade returned. He slowly approaches the
campsite to prevent scaring me, but Redfang wisely prefers not to risk the a
reflexive attack despite our shared nerves of mithril. His mind was in
detection range a minute before he even arrived.

The ex-lupine stays a respectable distance from me and lays his meal on the
ground. "You don't mind, do you?" he asked, displaying teeth that live up to
his name. "This was the first thing that popped out, and it's best to not
spend too much time away from camp."

Curious, I look at his prize: a rabbit. Its brown fur is stained with blood
from holes in the back and neck. The blood, however, doesn't show as much as
it would on my solid black coat. And of course, the deceased lagomorph
doesn't have a sapphire orb tied around the neck. "Why would I?" There was
no reason for to react to the slain creature that may or may not have been
related to me three years ago. "You need to eat, I don't know this creature,
and I'm not a rabbit anymore anyways."

"Why do you keep saying that about us?" he asked just before ripping into
the flesh of the prey. The ex-wolf is large enough to swallow the rabbit
whole, but prefers to eat slow and enjoy the flavor. Despite the small size
of his meal, it can sustain him as much as a normal wolf. His magical
enhancements apparently don't increase dietary needs, which amazes me
considering the nature of magic. "You may not feel like a rabbit, but I
still fell like a wolf. Why do you continue to consider us lesser
creatures."

"But we're not animals anymore. In fact, we're not *creatures* of any kind."
I said, staring up to the now orange sky. "We talk, we think, and we were
given intelligence for a *reason*. I wouldn't call us monsters, as their
existences are generally too chaotic. There are some magical creatures such
as dragons, griffins, and manticores; but they're truly magical by nature
while we are natural flesh." These facts still hit me pretty hard, enough to
actually make me look depressed. "We aren't demons, angels, or gods, they
have far too much influence on the world and seem to follow different rules
when it comes to interacting with the universe. Nor are we spirits, as we
are material and have organic minds. And finally, humanoid doesn't fit us
for obvious reasons."

"Then what do you think we are?" He asks hastily between bites. Manners
aren't exactly something we've been touching up on since our new-found
freedom.

"Tools," and I know it, but don't bother to correct him on that.

This shocks him quite a bit, and even distracts his from his meal, something
I haven't done before without psionic influence. "What makes you think
that?"

"Because, as I stated earlier, you and I were given intelligence for a
reason. Other intelligent creatures always had it, obtained it through
millenia of development and evolution, or were granted it by gods or devils.
Humanoids made some monsters, such as owlbears, to be guards, but that
didn't work out as they planned. And I don't think I have to go into detail
about the thinking machines. All-in-all, we are what we are because a human
had *some* use for us." I said with notable anger. Despite my lack of hands,
it's easy for me to convincingly feign clinching a non-existent fist "Like a
hammer or a sword, we exist to make some bastard's life easier, perhaps
another's harder, and nothing more. Hell, we weren't even born; we were
created!"

"Don't you remember being a kit at some point? I lived with a pack before
being uplifted. Then there are domesticated animals. Also, we have reason,
that alone separates us from the inventions of man." He finally continues
his meal, though focuses on me more.

"Pfft. Pets. Again, they exist for a purpose: humans don't hang around
animals that will kill them unprovoked, unfortunately. And we weren't born
as animals=97that aspect of us was nothing more than a component for our
uplifting, an ingredient for a spell to create a thinking slave. What we are
now is the result of that ritual. As for reason, let me put it this way: a
bow is more complex than a hammer, a catapult is more complex than a bow,
and a clock still more complex, but all are tools nonetheless. The fact that
we can 'feel' matters not, *particularly* to humanoids."

"Not every human tortures other creatures like ex-master did. I've seen some
treat animals quite well." Either none of this angers him or my comrade can
keep his calm longer than I thought. Either trait would be good, but he's
still quite stubborn. "Surely not as equals, but humanoids have a definite
empathy for those outside their species."

"Keep in mind that you're not a creature anymore, and don't think humanoids
would treat you like they would a dog. I, on the other hand, would rather be
dead than submit to such a life. And where were these humans that treat
animals 'well' while that bastard beat and tortured us for monetary gain?" I
ask sternly, before grinning, "I find it more fun to kill whoever thought of
me as a pet than to live as one."

He finishes his meal and sighs heavily. "You would enjoy that, no question.
However, I've been used to kill for far too long, and am sick of it. You
won't change your mind, despite there being plenty of other more interesting
things to do in life. For now, thinking about living is much more pleasing."

I shrug. "Your call. Personally, I feel the humanoids are simply too greedy
and powerful, and need to be eradicated. There are simply too many for the
world to sustain, and on top of that their lifestyles are destructive to
nature. The manipulation of magic concerns me the most. It makes them much
more destructive, and gives them the ability to create tools like us,
something I'd like to prevent. The humans think they own the whole world,
and their gods seem adamant about reinforcing that delusion. If things
continue as such, who knows what kind of disasters will come?"

Coldly, he responds, "Don't say such bull. I know damn well you just want to
kill them all out of revenge..."

"Look," I interrupt, "I know where this is going, and frankly I don't want
to discuss this again tonight. I'm getting up early tomorrow, so entertain
yourself for a while. If I need you I'll contact you in the usually way. But
for now, I have to meditate." There is no reason to wait for a response,
retreat to the safety of my temporary warren is a better option for now.

One of the first things I learned on my own when uplifted was the ability to
read people. It's impossible to get anywhere with Red when he gets all
sentimental. Well not anymore, thanks to psionics, but why go that far to
convince him? He did help kill the bastard that tortured me for half my
life. We've formed a bit of an alliance since then, as the only survivors of
our rebellion, and neither of us had anywhere else to go. Also, there are
advantages to having an objectionable ally as opposed to a mindless slave.

The bottom of the tunnel is filled with dirt, but that's not a major
concern. Using a combination of my own paws and psychokinesis, it only takes
seconds to clean up a small area to relax in and close off the entrance.
With a pad prepared, I go into trance to restore my power and plan for the
coming days, but not before taking care of a couple other matters.

------------------------------

One year ago, a vision told me about the dawn of humanity's destruction
began. This divined knowledge showed that I would be the one to restore
order to the world. Generally, a human told such things believes that the
information comes from one of their gods, and he's usually right (it's
always a male; their males never respect females). My destiny, however, was
given to me by something no one would expect: a sapphire.

When I found it, a blinding ray of light shined directly into my eyes.
Despite this, the sensation was painless. At the time, there was no reason
to even notice the gemstone in the first place, as it seemed to be stuck in
the ceiling. While this beacon burned into my very mind, thought, feeling,
and movement were impossible. Eventually it dimmed and the treasure fell to
the ground. After regaining focus, I hopped closer and held the jewel in my
paws.

The gem was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, and this is coming from
one with no interest in jewelry. It was a perfect sphere with a starburst
pattern inside of it. Despite having a very saturated blue hue, all colors
of light refracted from the internal design. A faint glow is given off by
the stone, which continues to this day. However, there doesn't appear to be
any magical source whatsoever. Very little time passed before the true value
of this treasure revealed itself.

The gem is an egg=97and not any egg=97a gem dragon egg! Apparently, they're
supposed to be extinct but that's what she is. Even in this state, the
unhatched creature can observe and interact via psionics. This is the
powerful being that bestowed upon me the ability to change the world with
nothing more than the power of my mind. I owe her a great deal, but that
goes unsaid as the brain is an open book to pretty much anyone she chooses;
while psionics makes me powerful, Sapphire=97what she calls herself=97possi=
bly
has enough power to defeat the gods themselves. Perhaps one day I'll become
that powerful.

*<<You won't, and I can't defeat gods. Stop thinking lies about me.>> *

*<<I didn't hear you today, something going on?>> *

*<<Nothing, both in and out of my shell.>>* Sapphire responds.

*<<Sorry if I bored you.>> I expressed sarcastically.*

*<<No you're not. However, tomorrow should be interesting.>>*

*<<That's one way to put it. But right now...>>*

*<<Mindseed. You're not quite ready for that.>>* It goes without saying that
she knows exactly what's on my mind. Unfortunately, the reverse isn't
correct in the slightest.

*<<As expected. How is it done, just for when I am ready?>>*

*<<You make a copy of your memories and forcefully implant them in another's
mind. The process takes a lot of power, both psionic and will, and most can
resist it with ease. Expect a long time for the effects to complete, a week
at least.>> *

*<<A week? Why does it take so long?>>* This is different, as I can use most
of my powers instantaneously. Even the ones that do require preparation have
never taken more than a minute.

*<<That's unimportant. You should know, however, that a copied mind is
significantly weaker than how powerful you were when copied. Were it to be
used now, the duplicate would only know powers you knew nine months ago,
although its memories would be the same as on the day of creation.>> *

*<<Shit.>>*

*<<This is not a power to use often, if at all. The copy will have a will of
its own. Don't expect a loyal puppet, and despite the fact that you two will
have very similar minds right after the seeding, it may eventually rebel.
Scratch that, knowing you it WILL.>>* Foreshadowing? In *my* introduction?
It's more likely than you think.

She's probably right, even if that was insulting. I do have one thing in
common with the humanoids: we are abominations. After eradicating the
humans, all that will remain to remove from this world is myself. *<<Any way
to prevent that?>>*

*<<Not a whole lot. The copy will also be a psion, so it can counter your
own powers. And don't expect me to help either.>>* Cold, but expected.
Sapphire has openly stated that she only follows me around because I
"interest" her. Apparently it's very rare to have a mind capable of using
true psionics (as opposed to the magic-based kind that is still widely
used), and I'm the first known uplifted creature to have one. The dragon
agreed to be my teacher, not my bodyguard.

*<<Of course. Anything else I need to know?>>*

*<<First off, I CAN make illusions, thank you very much. As a dragon, magic
is part of my nature. And yes, doing so is way beyond your abilities; Don't
expect to pull it off with psionics alone in one lifetime, but it is
possible. As for tomorrow, try stopping someone's heart; practice makes
perfect after all. Do NOT use that head-exploding power, it uses much more
power...>>*

*<<...than is necessary. Yes, I know, but...>>*

*<<I don't care how much you want to see a human head explode, such an
action would be a waste of effort and power. Your "Rule 40" does not require
such overkill.>>* She's referring to a set of rules I follow in order to
guarantee the eradication of mankind. Rule 40 states that should use any
powerful ability be used, it needs to be done so as early and often as
possible.

*<<What about 4 and 103?>>* I respond, stating rules related to the
treatment of my enemies.

*<<120 and 156.>>* Now she's alluding, albeit loosely, to conserving limited
resources and not wasting time.

Damn, she does have a point.

*<<Glad you see it my way.>>* Despite the fact that the dragon is just an
orb of sapphire, she's definitely smiling and getting a kick out of my
defeat. Red isn't even a challenge, he loses our debates night after night.
Sapphire, however, knows how to win every time, which is hardly a surprise.
It's impossible to beat her in a battle of minds, but I don't like it when
others disagree with me.

I bite my lip, even though that won't help in a psychic conversation. *<<Ve=
ry
well, I see your point. Anything else you want to tell me?>>*

Silence.

That's her way of saying she's done with me. It's also her answer to any
question about what she's doing during said silence. Disappointed, I sigh
and turn my attention to more immediate matters.