[Mkguild] The Trials of New Tasks and Trades

Stealth stealthcat15 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 22:54:17 EDT 2009

Never thought there would be a sequel.

The Trials of New Tasks and Trades
Copyright (c) 2009 Michael Nastov and Christian O=92Kane

    =93All of Eli=92s creatures are beautiful!=94

    The words echoed through his folded ears. Edmund stood in the
antechamber of a vile monster=92s pit, covered with rancid slime. His friend
begged for his help in taking care of a mage=92s pet. Who would be so crazy=
do that? Edmund of course.

    While Stealth explained to him that... Herbert... could be a handful and
even an eyesore, the paladin scoffed at the warning that any of the great
one=92s creations could be as bad as he=92d claimed, however, Stealth did r=
emain
critically vague on just how vile this creature truly was and the knight
went along in ignorance.

    Stealth told him to remove his weapons and enter the pen with the feed
box in hand... he=92d wondered why =96 until now =96 he was told to disarm =
and
also why Stealth proverbially bit his own hand, waiting for the paladin to
enter.

    Suddenly Stealth handed Edmund a very large snow shovel.

    Edmund dimly took it and looked it over for a moment, =93GREAT MAKER! W=
hat
is this for?=94 the paladin asked.

    =93To clean up the... little Herberts.=94

    Edmund looked at the shovel with undisguised horror! =93You=92re kidding
right?=94

    =93Well you did say he=92s one of Eli=92s creatures.=94

    =93I=92m not so sure.=94 Edmund answered.

    =93That=92s not what you said this morning.=94 Stealth pointed out blun=
tly.
They could both hear the... pet in the next room gurgle-breathing in a light
nap.

    Edmund shook his head in defeat, =93Trapped by my own words. This is a
test! Eli is testing my endurance as well as my gag reflex.=94

    =93Oh, Ed, don=92t be so dramatic! You=92ve seen nasty things in battle=
 and in
the infirmary? Herbert is a sweetheart!=94 Stealth began to beam with mirth.

    Ed looked down at his soiled tunic, =93The last time I smelt something
this bad was month old horse droppings.=94

    Stealth=92s ears twitched to Herbert=92s breathing, =93Ed, let=92s just=
 get this
done quickly.=94

    He looked at the shovel and then at Herbert and sighed deeply. =93All
right. It has to be done!=94

    =93Actually, let=92s wait a moment or so.=94 Stealth said quickly, =93I=
 think
he=92s... giving birth again.=94

-------------------------

    Two hands reached in, claw tipped fingers grasping something unseen and
quite potent... the morph pulled and lifted up several acrid smelling
candles. Audric grinned though wrinkled his nose at the scent of the
candles.

    A little girl with a board-backed parchment entered a nearby portal,
=93How did they turn out?=94

    =93They look like candles and smell like ashes.=94 The civet cringed.

     Cherise sniffed at the air, =93They smell wonderful!=94 She walked up =
her brother and stood a foot or so shorter.

    Audric smiled though shook his head, =93Scented candles... I don=92t kn=
ow
how my new nose will cope.=94

    =93You=92ll be fine, remember the ingredients came from Kaley and she g=
ot
them from Glen Avery! Just about everyone there has a sensitive snout.=94

    The civet sighed and turned his muzzle away from the batch, =93I think
their nostrils must be full of pine needles.=94 He hooked up the candles by
the strings that still tied them together and made his way over to a bench.

    The girl followed, she could see many more candles on the bench, some
with completed intricate details and others still being crafted. However
these were no mere decorations, though they looked quite nice, their intent
was practical. These were the magical candles.

    =93Oh, aren=92t they wonderful.=94 Cherise said and admired the beautif=
ully
carved runes.

    Audric nodded slowly, =93Just whatever you do, don=92t click your finge=
rs or
they=92ll all go up...=94

    His sister blanched, =93My lords, what if a customer does something?=94

    =93Never you fear, sis, they=92ll be stocked up in boxes that disable t=
he
runes.=94 He explained and ran a claw along the pattern of one in progress,
each of the carvings were in the size and shape of his claw tips.

    =93But the patterns? These painted gold leaves pressed into the sides
entwining with the spells...=94

    The morph reached for something just off the bench, =93Each candle will=
 be
wrapped in this,=94 He held up a roll of fabric and unveiled a small portion
of what looked to be a silky material.

    Cherise put a hand to her mouth, =93How much will we be selling these
magic candles for?=94

    The civet grinned, displaying his fangs, =93A lot.=94

-------------------------

    Over an hour later the two emerged from the nice, yellow cottage. One
was covered almost thoroughly in slime.

    =93How,=94 Edmund asked in a cold tone. =93Did you stay clean?=94

    =93Well, I have gotten to know Herbert; I think he was more curious abo=
ut
you!=94 Stealth bit his arm to stop from laughing.

    Edmund shot Stealth a cold glare. =93I can hear you snickering Stealth.=
will get you for this!=94

    Stealth broke out into an all out laughing fit on the snow.

    Edmund=92s eyes narrowed and he bent over and picked up a huge handful =
of
snow. He carefully formed it into a large ball.

    =93Oh, oh... oh.=94 Stealth wiped the tears from his eyes and looked up=
 at
Edmund.

    =93How fast can you run Stealth? Can you outrun a snow ball?=94

    =93Ware your threats, Paladin...=94 The cheetah said and gathered up his
own.

    =93OH! You want a fight do you?!=94 He tossed a snowball at Stealth.

    Stealth hissed as the snowball hit him square on the muzzle and threw
his own. The two fought in the snow for a while until they both got tired
and agreed to go home, to the baths.

-------------------------

    =93Now where is that towel?=94 The morph said before finding something
suitable, =93There.=94 The civet said and brushed himself off from herbal
powder. =93Ugh.=94 He looked out the door to the outer area of their store =
where
his sister was assisting customers, he was relieved to see the curse didn=
=92t
dwindle her business skills.

    =93Two dozen, Milady?=94 The child asked as she scribbled with a quill =
on
parchment.

    =93And three dozen plain candles.=94 The robin finished.

    Cherise scribbled the order furiously, mindful of other waiting
customers, =93The plain ones can be sent out by tomorrow morning but the ru=
nic
candles will take some time.=94

    =93How long if you don=92t mind me asking?=94

    =93Perhaps just over a week, we craft them with much care.=94 The girl =
said
and calculated the cost, =93nine gold for the runes and one silver for the
plains.=94

    The female robin reached into her money pouch with a taloned hand and
pulled out two garrets without hesitation depositing them on the counter,
=93Keep the change.=94

    The woman=92s eyes widened like a child receiving a copper for a shoe
shining. =93Thank you very much milady, they will be delivered with all due
care and haste.=94

    =93Thank you, dear, oh,=94 The avian pointed to a rose shaped candle on=
 the
counter, =93Are those ones for sale?=94

    =93Yes, ma=92am, but they don=92t look like that when you buy them...=
=94 She
reached below the bench top and unveiled a red candle, =93We call this a ro=
se
petal, it has rose oil mixed in giving it the scent of roses. As the wax
melts, it forms these petals around the flame,=94 She said, gesturing to the
spent candle. =93They are a gold each.=94 She cringed.

    =93I=92ll take two.=94

-------------------------

    =93Two?=94 She asked, =93You have enough grime for twenty people.=94 Th=
e bath
attendant said.

    Stealth sighed, =93We=92ll use the private baths...=94 He bit his lip, =
=93If
need be, put a fee on Misha=92s tab.=94

    The AR shrugged, =93All right, if you=92re happy with an axe wielding m=
aniac
picking up your bill.=94

    The cheetah cringed, =93Oh, I=92m sure he=92ll think of a way for me to=
 pay
him back...=94

-------------------------

    =93Good, that=92s every last coin,=94 The AR said.

    The civet nodded, =93Not a bad day, not bad at all.=94

    Cherise smiled and closed the chest, =93Look at us.=94

    Audric hefted the chest and grinned, =93Our new trade is looking good. =
And
we=92re gonna pay back Misha in no time.=94

-------------------------

    =93How the hell am I gonna pay back Misha at this rate?=94 Stealth pout=
ed
and shook his head free of moisture. He turned to look at the knight.

    After a hot bath Edmund=92s fur was once again fresh and crisp though h=
is
clothing would need a good soak. He and his friend dried themselves off with
several towels though their banter faded in the mist of the baths.

    =93Ed...=94 Stealth began as he rubbed his head fur dry.

    =93Yes?=94 Edmund asked as he finished drying off.

    =93I=92m really sorry. I didn=92t mean to torture you or anything.=94

    Edmund laughed. =93You are forgiven. And poor Herbert did need cleaning=
 up
after.=94

    Stealth started on his tail, =93I guess the joke=92s on me anyway. I ha=
ve to
return in a little under a week to feed him again.=94

    =93Feed him AND clean up!=94 Edmund added and laughed some more.

    Stealth groaned, =93Hooray...=94

    The paladin broke out into a wholesome fit of laughter.

    Stealth=92s ears drooped and he looked at the ground dejected.

    =93If you want I=92ll go with you. But this time YOU hold the shovel.=
=94

    Stealth looked up in surprise, =93You=92ll really go with me again afte=
r I
tricked you?=94

    He nodded. =93I need a chance to get revenge don=92t I?=94

    The feline sighed and baped his friend on the head.