[Mkguild] Kendrick's Quandry

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Oct 30 16:41:34 UTC 2009

Okay, here's a short tale from my pen.  I'm not
quite in order, but it'll be a while before I
finished the second story in this cycle.

Metamor Keep: Kendrick's Quandry
By Charles Matthias

January 28, 708 CR

         The snow drifts were two feet high
against the stone wall of his family home, and
now as the hour drew near to dawn side of
midnight, it started snowing again.  Kendrick
hiked his coat up over his slender and smooth
head, and then bent over to brush the snow from
the step.  By morning nobody would be able to
tell he’d come in this way, providing he didn’t
track snow all over the carpets.
         The pangolin thief, heir to the Urseil
clothiers, one of the more prominent merchant
families in Metamor, was reminded once again why
he was eager to stop being a thief.  His body was
naturally alert at night, but it was also
ill-equipped to handle the frigid winter nights
that Metamor was cursed with.  Thrice cursed
Metamor his cousins in Ellcaran had
said.  Quadruple cursed!  Why couldn’t it have
been some place far to the south where the
winters were mild and the summers so warm all
days were spent in shaded leisure?
         Kendrick brushed the last of the snow
from the step next to the side door, and then
rubbed his scarf over his paws to dry them.  He
slipped off his boots and winced as he set his
scaly feet on the cold stone step.  Holding his
boots in one paw, he gingerly lifted the latch
with the other, forcing himself to slowly ease
inside where it was warmer.  His long toe claws
met a thick skin strewn across the servant’s
washroom floor.  Father had just recovered enough
of their losses from last winter’s assault to
hire a second to keep house, and she’d insisted
they place skins by all the entrances to absorb
the winter snow, and Kendrick felt immeasurably grateful to her.
         Once inside, the pangolin drew the door
closed and pulled his coat back down across his
shoulders.  His narrow but long ears perked up,
listening to the quiet creak of the house with
some relief.  The air was cool, but much warmer
than outside.  Somewhere above him he heard the
new girl, Esther, snoring.  He smiled.  It was
good to be home.  He’d already given those rats a
piece of his mind for making him go out on a
night like this, but at least he had something wonderful to come home to.
         He returned his boots to their place in
the small closet off the foyer, then quietly
walked across the main room to his hiding spot
beneath the couch before the stairs.  He crawled
under the couch and gingerly pressed the loose
board until it came up.  His tools went inside,
the board back into place, and he began to crawl back out.
         “What are you doing, Kendrick?”
         He topped, claws nearly jabbing into the
wood. “Sofie?” He asked, wondering where his
sister had come from and what she’d seen him doing.
         The pangolin scooted back out from under
the couch and nearly sat on his tail as he rolled
over.  Standing at the foot of the stairs dressed
in a warm nightgown with a curious smile on her
freckled face was his ten year old sister
Sofie.  “What are you doing up?” He asked in a
harsh whisper.  He felt a sinking in his
stomach.  It wasn’t the Watch that had found him; it was worse.
         Sofie grinned, shaking her head and
curly hair back and forth. “What are you doing up, Kendrick?”
         Kendrick took a deep breath and lowered
his eyes. “I was... I was...” What does one say
to one’s little sister when they’ve caught you
putting your thief tools away?  He just didn’t
have the heart to lie to her, but how could he
say the truth? “Oh, Sofie, what did you see me doing?”
         Sofie grinned, and came down the final
step, eyes wide with mischief. “I saw my older
brother sneaking into the house and put a little
satchel under the couch.  I bet Mother and Father don’t know about it.”
         Kendrick froze.  Just the thought of
what Father and Mother would say if they knew
what he did for the rats made him want to curl up
into a ball and roll away. “No, you can’t tell
them.  Please, Sofie.  You have to keep this
secret.  Please!” His whispers were almost whines
as he crouched lower, his tail wrapping up between his legs.
         His little sister’s eyes narrowed and
she twisted back and forth as if pondering.
“Well... you have to tell me what you were up to.”
         That made his blood run cold. “No.” He
shook his head. “No, Sofie.  You don’t want to know.”
         “Yes, I do!”
         Kendrick took a deep breath, and crossed
over to his sister.  Standing on the steps, she
looked down at him with that confidence of
victory only a ten year old is capable of.  He
put his paw on her hand and tugged gently.
“Please, Sofie.  Trust me.  It is too dangerous
for you to know.  I’ll do anything else you ask
me, but don’t ask me this.” He’d already have to
move his tools, as Sofie would certainly find them the first chance she got.
         “But you’ll protect me, Kendrick,” Sofie replied winsomely.
         Every tone and every glance from his
little sister made him cringe.  But on this he
had to be firm. “Not just to you, Sofie.  But to
Barrick and Brigitt and Emma and Mother and
Father.  To all of us.  I can’t tell you, Sofie,
and you can’t try to find out.  Promise me that,
Sofie.  Please.  I’ll do anything else, but not
that.  Promise me you won’t tell anyone or ask about it again, okay?”
         Sofie sighed, her smile fading from her
face like the snowflakes on his boots. “Okay, I
promise.  But you have to buy me whatever I want.”
         Kendrick cringed but nodded
gratefully.  He had some saved up, but he’d need
to hope Sofie had inexpensive tastes if he was
going to have any chance of keeping her quiet for
as long as it would take for her to lose
interest. “Thank you, Sofie.  I promise I’ll buy
you whatever you want.  Within reason.  And it
can’t be anything Mother or Father say you can’t have.”
         “Oh fine!” Sofie pouted, but immediately
smiled and kissed him on top of his bald head. “I
love you, Kendrick!  I won’t tell anyone.”
         He breathed a sigh of relief and hugged
her gently lest his jagged spines prick her. “I
love you too, Sofie.  Now get back to bed before
Mother or Father wake.  We’ll both be in trouble then!”
         She lingered a moment longer before
returning up the stairs.  Kendrick wasted no time
retrieving his thieving tools before slipping
quietly upstairs to his room with Barrick and
Brigitt.  Barrick the bear snored loudly as his
massive bulk made the bed groan.  Kendrick crept
along the floor, taking care that his digging
claws didn’t catch in either the carpeting or
wooden planks.  He stuffed his tools beneath his
lumpy pillow, shivered down to his linens, and
then climbed beneath his heavy quilts.
         All the while he prayed fervently to Eli
for the one thing he’d long sought — guidance.

------------

         Sofie was true to her word.  All the
next day she said nothing to anyone nor gave any
hint that she knew a dark secret.
         Kendrick had little time to appreciate
it as Father took him on several errands about
town.  Falkirk Urseil did have a business to
maintain, and as the eldest son, it was
Kendrick’s job to learn the trade.  They visited
three of the Keep’s tailors to interest them in
some cloth samples Father had shipped in on the
last caravan from Ellcaran.  Bright colours and
soft textures that spoke of strange foreign lands
to appeal to the exotic tastes of the wealthier
Keepers, plus the freshest wool for more common
tastes, as well as a medley of items in between.
         And after spending most of the day
hawking then haggling, Falkirk Urseil took his
eldest son to the site where the Nuns were
building their convent.  Father was pleased to
show them several thick woolen garments that he
hoped to donate to them for new habits better
suited to the wintry Metamor weather.  Kendrick
liked watching the sisters clear away the rubble
from the site they’d managed to purchase — Father
had also donated a small sum to help cover the
cost of the lots — while they sang their psalms
of praise to Eli and Yahshua.  While Father
showed their wares, Kendrick used his digging
claws as they were meant and helped the sisters
dislodge heavier stones and supports imbedded in
the frozen ground.  They had all either become as
young girls or animals, but even those beastly
like him were still impressed by what the pangolin could do.
         But listening to them sing their prayers
and toil away against horrendous odds gave him
something he had been lacking.  When they
finished, he asked his father if he might visit
some friends before returning home.  Falkirk gave
him leave, and so Kendrick dashed through the
town, hoping that his newfound courage would
last.  He practically skipped past a pair of the
Watch as he navigated the busy streets toward the
castle at the northern end of the city.
         Metamor Keep had always captured his
imagination from the moment he’d first seen it
almost eight years ago.  Its combination of
brooding, squat towers and noble, almost elvish
spires, never failed to impress.  He’d always
hoped to climb that tallest of towers and gaze
from the belfry across the vast expanse of
Metamor, but he knew his little legs would never
manage so momentous a climb.  Not that they were letting anyone up there still!
         But today he would go in a different
direction.  As soon as he was within Metamor’s
walls, he found a staircase leading down into the
cellars.  From there, it was easy to find the
right hallway.  A boisterous voice echoed along
those darkened corridors, followed by much
laughter and a fair amount of chittering and
squeaking.  Kendrick recognized Sir Saulius’s
voice immediately, and he paused to listen in.
         “‘Tis a foul business, but ‘twas
necessary for the Keep.  ‘Twill be days yet ere I
get the stink from Armivest’s hooves!” He laughed, as did the others.
         “You’d think the Lutins would have
figured out by now not to come raiding into the
valley.” That was Elliot.  The one with the red
patch on his shoulder from where one of Pascal’s
concoctions had gone awry. “It’s been a while
since I’ve heard about anybody dying on one of these patrols.”
         “Oh, ‘tis still a danger,” Saulius
replied in a quieter voice. “‘Tis always a danger
setting out into the wild lands up north.  But
aye, the Lutins hath not ventured as often into
our lands as they were wont to a year past.”
         He heard Julian chuckle. “Before you
continue, Sir Erick, I believe we have a visitor
who might also like to hear of your exploits!”
         Kendrick, abashed that he was so easily
detected, came around the corner and found four
rats sitting around a table laid with cheese,
bread, and wine.  Goldmark was nearest him, and
sprawled in taur-form on a rug.  The others sat
on stools, tails resting on that same rug.  All
of them smiled at his approach. “Sorry about
eavesdropping.  I just didn’t want to disturb you.”
         “Nonsense,” Julian crowed, beckoning him
with a wave. “We have a fourth chair for Hector,
but he’s topside selling some of his sculptures.”
         “He canst have mine,” Saulius announced,
rising form his seat.  The brown-furred rat
smoothed his tabard and smiled, revealing pointy
incisors. “I wilt be leaving for Glen Avery
tomorrow, and I must confer with my fellow
knights who wilt be joining me.  ‘Tis time to
build my long lost squire his stables.  I wilt
return soon to tell thee of it, of the Lady
Kimberly, and of his fine children.”
         The rats all rose and hugged Sir Saulius
as dear friends before letting the knight excuse
himself.  Kendrick clasped paws with him as he
passed, then took the knight’s seat.  The others
all watched him, especially Julian with his red
eyes.  Kendrick waited until the knight, who was
singing to himself, was out of earshot. “My
little sister caught me returning last night.”
         Goldmark’s ears lifted in
alarm.  Elliot’s jaw hung agape.  Only Julian
seemed unmoved by the news. “And what did she see?” the white furred rat asked.
         “She saw me come inside and hide
something beneath the floorboards.  She didn’t
see what, I made her promise not to tell
anyone.  I had to promise to buy her whatever she
wanted in return.  But I didn’t tell her what I
was doing and I wouldn’t even when she asked.” He
swallowed as the rat’s digested the news. “It’s
gotten too risky for me to go thieving
anymore.  I want to help out however I can, but
if anyone else were to find out what we do...
we’re all going to be in the dungeons.  And my
family will be shamed!” Kendrick failed to keep
the quiver out of his voice nor the tremble from his paws.
         Elliot frowned as he turned his gaze on
Julian. “It might be for the best.  We’ve almost
got enough to start a legitimate business.”
         “We’re not there yet,” Julian said with
a hard unsympathetic edge to his voice. “And
don’t forget that you’re helping your family,
Kendrick.  Which one saw you, Sofie or Emma?”
         “Sofie.” Kendrick replied.  He swallowed
a lump in his throat. “The older one.”
         Julian pondered that
thoughtfully.  Goldmark and Elliot looked to him,
both of them unsure. “She’s the mischievous one, right?  Sofie?”
         Kendrick nodded. “Well, she is ten years old.”
         “Just old enough,” Julian said with a sudden smile.
         Goldmark narrowed his eyes. “What are you thinking, Julian?”
         The white rat’s smile grew wider. “I was
no more than six when I picked my first lock.  I
think Sofie is old enough to join our little
band.  I think she’ll take quite nicely to being a thief like her big brother.”
         The suggestion was like a knife through
his heart. “No!  Please, Julian!  Please don’t do
this to her!  She’s sweet and innocent
still.  Please don’t make her a thief!”  He
wanted to, but couldn’t add, ‘Like you did to me’.
         “I don’t make anyone a thief,” Julian
replied with purest sincerity. “And I won’t make
her.  But if she takes to it as you did, then she
can help our venture and your family.  You can
show her what she needs to know, Kendrick, and
train her.  If she doesn’t want to do it or she
isn’t very good, then we’ll find something else for her to do.”
         Kendrick shook in anguish and wished the
rug and stones beneath his feet would open up and
swallow him.  His claws bit into the wooden seat
as he held on to keep himself from falling to his
knees and begging. “Please, Julian, no.  Don’t
ask me to do this to my little sister.”
         “Are you sure we’d even need her?”
Goldmark asked, clearly disturbed by the
notion.  His long tail lashed back and forth and
thumped the rug.  “Even if she did take to it, by
the time she’s ready we’ll be out of the thieving business.”
         But Julian appeared obstinate. “And if
we are not as fortunate as we hope?  We may need
more thieves before our business is
secure.  Eager young ones like Sofie are key to
that.  Nobody will suspect the children of the
city’s merchant class.  And haven’t I been right about that?”
         “Yes, you have,” Elliot admitted even as
he shook his head. “But don’t you think making
two thieves from the same family is
risky?  Besides, Kendrick’s done more than enough
and risked his neck many times.  We owe him something too.”
         Kendrick nodded and tried to stammer
thanks to Elliot, but his eyes were still fixed
on Julian. “I’ll do even more thieving if it means you won’t ask Sofie too.”
         Julian took a deep breath and in
somewhat softer tones asked, “Do you promise this?”
         The pangolin hastily nodded. “Yes,
yes!  I promise I’ll steal whatever you ask if
you just leave Sofie alone.”  He didn’t have any
idea how he’d do it now that his hiding spot was
known.  Who might also see him return from an outing?
         The rat slapped his legs with his paws
and smiled. “Very good!  I accept your promise,
Kendrick.  But I think instead of more thieving I
want you to help us open the markets.  Meet
people, bargain.  For starters, you will need to
convince your father to ship his cloth with
us.  Not yet, but when I tell you, you need to
mention this possibility to him and convince him
that it is the right course of action.”
         Kendrick trembled still, but the initial
agony was past. “But my family has used its own
men to move wares for some time now.  Father won’t want to fire them.”
         Julian waved his paws, red eyes
piercing. “I have a few ideas on how to make
matters equitable for all.  I will tell you what
to say when the time comes.  But for now, did you bring your tools?”
         Kendrick nodded and fished the small
satchel from the pocket inside vest. “Sofie knows
where I hide these.  I’ve kept them on me all day
today so I could give them to you.”
         “Good.  Leave them with us.  We’ll keep
them safe until you need them again.” The white
rat locked eyes with the pangolin. “And you
will.  You are a thief, Kendrick.  Just like
us.  One day you won’t have to steal anymore, but
until then you are a thief.  Remember that.”
         Oh Eli, forgive me! “Aye, I’m a
thief.  I won’t forget.” Kendrick looked over the
three rats and sighed.  He couldn’t bring himself
to hate them at all.  In fact, Elliot reached
over and wrapped and arm over his shoulder and then hugged him close.
         “Now hurry off back to your family,”
Elliot said after letting him go. “You are very lucky to have one.”
         “Thank you,” Kendrick replied with a
little warmth.  His fears allayed he managed to
stop trembling and started to almost smile.
         “And let us know what Sofie wants,”
Julian said as he stood to embrace his fellow
thief. “We’ll see what we can do to help you out there.”
         “I’m not going to steal money to buy her
something!” Kendrick objected; the very notion
felt wrong.  He’d never stolen anything for
himself before.  It had always been from those
who’d charged exorbitant prices and stolen money
from Metamor.  It was a thin line, but still a line.
         The white rat laughed. “I wasn’t
suggesting that.  You just make sure to let us
know what she wants, Kendrick.  We’ll find a way
together that doesn’t involve stealing, since you
find it so repugnant.” His red eyes narrowed.
“I’ll let you know when next you’ll go out in a
few days.  And where we’ve put your tools.  Now
go, my friend.  Cheer up.  With luck, in a few
months all of this will be behind us forever.”
         Kendrick nodded, and then he and Julian
hugged briefly.  Kendrick stumbled from his seat,
hugged Goldmark who also wished him well, and
then took a few halting steps down the
hall.  Julian’s voice arrested him. “You still have your tools in your paws.”
         “Oh!” Kendrick gazed down his slender
snout at the grey flesh of his paws and the long
digging claws to discover the brown satchel was
still nestled between his palms.  He set it on
the table, and Elliot deftly slipped it into his
tunic.  He smiled to the trio of rats, and then
walked as relaxed as he could manage back out of the cellars.
         When he reached the surface and managed
to crawl out of the Keep, the pangolin found a
nice little corner hidden behind a snow bank and
both cried and laughed.  Sofie was safe, that was
what mattered.  He had to keep stealing, but at least Sofie was safe.
         When Kendrick had his emotions under
control, he brushed the snow off his clothes and
resumed the walk back home.  How he longed for
the success of the rat’s plans.  It was the only
way he could ever not be a thief.
         The grey evening sky over Metamor
brooded, promising only more snow.  He couldn’t
tell if that were answer or prophecy.  Kendrick
pulled his coat more firmly over his shoulders,
hunched low, tail brushing the stone, and rushed home.

End of "Landing in a New Age"

!DSPAM:4aeb178a21213165068996!