[Mkguild] Landing in a New Age (2/5)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Mon Sep 7 02:34:57 UTC 2009

And here's the next day! :-)

Metamor Keep: Landing in a New Age
By Charles Matthias

Day 2 - December 28, 707 CR

         Duke Thomas leaned forward in his throne
as he did his best to listen to the elderly woman
who’d once been a tanner before the curses had
made her a grandmother instead.  As she carefully
described her problem, Thomas found his mind
slipping between the cracks in her narrative to a
certain lovely Assingh now his wife.  They’d been
married for two days, yet he hadn’t spent more
than two hours wife her outside the ducal
chambers.  Which meant his thoughts were on what
they’d done in those bedchambers, which made it
very difficult to concentrate on the mundane problems of his subjects.
         Ever since the announcement had gone out
that he would be in audience for his people for a
few hours each day until the new year came,
Keepers had lined up to be able to speak with
him, something they had not been able to do in
some time.  Most, as he’d thought, came to
congratulate him on his marriage.  He received
quite a few makeshift charms and tokens meant to
aid them in conceiving a child, all of which
would be quietly stored away or disposed.  And a
handful, such as this old woman, sought his personal aid.
         He sometimes wished that there was some
higher temporal authority to which he could turn
for his grievances.  But he was forced to trust
the counsel of his advisors and make those
decisions himself.  He still wasn’t happy with
the disposition of the guards, nor the
arrangement of Metamor’s finances, but at least
they were making some progress addressing those
problems.  The guard issue he knew would work
itself out in the coming days and weeks.  But the
finances would prey on his mind for months, perhaps even years.
         But at least now he had someone who
could help make all those burdens seem as
nothing.  He smiled as he dwelt on Alberta, who
even now saw to their horses that they might ride
together later.  And then he scolded himself when
he realized that the woman wasn’t talking anymore.
         “Forgive me,” Thomas said, with a warm
smile, “but my mind has been wandering these last few days.”
         The woman smiled knowingly, grey hair
framing a face that would have been lovely if not
for the wrinkles in her cheeks. “I remember when
I first married, your grace.  I understand.  May
the gods bless you both with long life and many children.”
         “Thank you,” he smiled as broadly as his
equine lips would allow. “Now tell me again what you wish of me.”
         This time he was able to listen to her
tale, and when she finished, promised her that he
would have her son brought home from his scouting
duty in the north before the new year that he
could be with family again after so many months
in the field.  A scribe noted his name and his
company, and he bid her good day.  She left with
a grateful smile, bow, and she nearly kissed his hooves so great was her joy.
         Thomas’s soldiers shifted a little
closer when the next petitioner stepped
forward.  Six men draped in dun-coloured woolen
cloaks approached, each bearing chain mail
beneath their cloaks.  Their weapons would have
been confiscated before they could enter the
audience chamber, but their hands still hovered
near the empty scabbards from habit.  The lead
man was broad of shoulder, stocky, with a light
complexion and somewhat youthful face.  His mail
was lined with gold, though he could see no sign of heraldry on any of them.
         “And who might you be, noble sir?”
Thomas asked, sharing the unease of his soldiers.
         The lead man threw back the hood of his
cloak and stared up at the horse lord with
impetuous dignity. “I am Lord William
Dupré.  Once the Baron of Mallow Horn, I have
been exiled from my home and my family and warned
under pain of death never to return.  I and my
men come before you, Duke of the Northern
Midlands, to swear our fealty to you and to pledge to you our very lives.”
         And then as one, Lord Dupré and his five
men all fell to one knee, fists upon their chests
in a knightly salute.  Thomas blinked, long tail
shifting uncertainly in the confines of the
throne.  His lips moved silently, stunned and
incoherent.  Neither Dupré nor his men looked up
at him to see his confusion.  The scribe
completely dropped her quill and stared gape
mouthed at the men.  Whispers ricocheted through
the line of Keepers waiting to see Thomas.
         Thomas’s ears folded back a moment, and
then he said the only thing he could. “I accept
your pledge to me, Lord Dupré, but I must know
why you have come to me to make this pledge, and
why I should trust a man who has been exiled.”
         William Dupré did not move, but his
words carried a martial clarity that kept
Thomas’s tail in agitation. “My former liege,
Duke Titian Verdane, cast me from his land and
from his house after I sowed discord in his lands
under the orders of an evil man.  This evil man
controlled me with a magical deck of cards.”
         “Deck of cards?” Thomas was very glad he
was sitting, because if he hadn’t, he would have
toppled onto his side. “The Marquis du Tournemire?”
         “Aye, your grace.  He controlled my
actions and took everything from me.  Verdane
ordered that I be subjected to the curse of
Metamor as part of my exile.  But three days ago
the Marquis’s hold over me was broken, and my
mind was restored to me.  I know you are an
honourable man, your grace.  I cannot return to
my home, and so my men and I will make our new
home here.  It is my hope that I can be of
service to you, your grace, if you will have me.”
         Thomas took a deep breath, heart
trembling.  He’d seen what Marzac’s power had
done to Kyia, but he also knew that the Marquis
was dead and Marzac gone from this
world.  Whatever evil this man had done at the
Marquis’s behest could not truly be laid at his
feet.  Still, what was he to do with this man who
clearly meant to stay and suffer the Curses?
         “I will need to time to consider your
offer, Lord Dupré.  For the time being, I order
you to remain in the city.  How long have you been in the Valley?”
         “Three days now, your grace.”
         Thomas lowered his equine brow and
squinted at the men.  In a much quieter voice he
asked, “Did you see a flash of light three nights past?”
         Dupré nodded. “For a moment I was a ram, your grace.”
         “Do not speak of it to anyone, either
you or your men.  Where are you staying?” He made
a note to ask Andwyn why the bat hadn’t warned
him of Dupré’s arrival.  A worse thought struck
him — what if the bat hadn’t known at all?  How
could an exiled Midlander noble travel through
his lands without the bat knowing?  As much as it
pained him, he was going to have to end his audience early today.
         “The Shoeshine Inn,” William replied in
a whisper, a small grin spreading over his
weathered lips. “We will not venture out again
until we have heard word from you, your grace.”
         “See to it that you don’t, Lord
Dupré.  Now you and your men be off.  Come when I call you without delay.”
         “I am yours to command, my liege.” Dupré
lowered his head further, then as one, all six
men rose and walked from the audience chamber
like a string of monks heading to cloister.  All
eyes followed them, voices dropping to whispers as they passed.
         Thomas waited until they had departed
before rising from his throne and shaking his
head to the next petitioner. “You shall be first
tomorrow.  I must go.”  The disappointed groans
followed him and his guards as they left through a rear door.

----------

         Dressed in black habits from head to
toe, the half dozen women of varying ages could
not help but be conspicuous as they climbed
through the rubble and half-standing buildings in
one of the few areas of Metamor not repaired
since last winter’s assault by the armies of
Nasoj.  They were made even more noticeable by
the one woman confined to a chair with wheels
attached that one of the other sisters would push
about.  This wheeled chair was often blocked by
uncleared rubble, but the sisters managed.
         “Here,” the eldest of them said as she
laid weathered fingers against a wall that
climbed from the ground at a diagonal to a height
of six feet before disappearing back to the
ground.  The wall was good solid stone, perhaps
were a chimney once stood. “We could have an altar placed against this wall.”
         “Is it facing east?” the one pushing
Tugal’s chair asked in a very quiet voice.
         “Oh yes,” the reverend mother replied,
her voice so rich and kind that it warmed the
wintry air. “We can have a small chapel here for
the Breaking of the Bread.”  She turned around
and gingerly walked the six feet to the remnants
of another wall. “And here we can have the
cloister wall.  We’ll need to tear up the stones
over there so we can make a garden.”
         Tugal smiled a little as she watched the
reverend mother let her imagination sweep her
away with plans to turn this abandoned section of
the city into something vibrant with life
again.  They hadn’t even been given permission
yet, but that didn’t seem to dampen the
enthusiasm of any of the sisters.  And their
enthusiasm helped her.  Kurt’s caravan had left
early that morning, and already she could feel his absence.
         But it would do her no good dwelling on
that.  She looked to the leaden sky and offered a
prayer to Eli that Kurt would be safe.  Her heart
warmed with her A-men.  She smiled to the other
nuns and listened attentively to their plans.

----------

         Thomas paced back and forth in his
private chambers even after Thalberg and Malisa
arrived.  His hooves were wearing a path through
the decorative Kelewairan rug, an irony that he
couldn’t bring himself to appreciate.  But apart
from asking his friends to sit, he didn’t say
more until the bat Andwyn hobbled in through the
door.  Turning his long equine head on the bat,
he frothed, “Why didn’t you tell me that an
exiled South Midlander noble was moving through
my lands and intended to swear fealty to me?”
         Andwyn’s red eyes stared in surprise at
Thomas, his fox-like ears turned to catch every
sound.  He pulled his wings around his chest as
if to ward off the chill. “Your grace, I had only
just learned of their presence in the city a few
hours ago.  I only learned of their intent when
you did.  They have moved very quietly and unobtrusively through your lands.”
         Thomas stomped to the table, ignoring
the alarmed wide-eyed stares of Malisa and
Thalberg to keep his ire on the bat. “You’re my
spymaster, Andwyn.  You know what everyone has to
break their fast before they do.  How can you not
have known that William Dupré was coming here?”
         Andwyn lowered his head, his voice
unsettled. “I did know that he had been exiled,
but my spies were not able to learn where he was
exiled to.  Poor weather and a broken axle
delayed my spy, and when he was able to get
moving again, the trail had been
obliterated.  Whoever these men are, they are
very good at concealing their tracks.”
         “Surely they would have learned of them
in Metamor.  And why didn’t you warn me that he
was in the city once you learned of it?”
         The bat’s head lowered even further, his
toe claws digging at the carpeting in
frustration. “I thought it best to learn why they
were in Metamor first.  And as you would be in
audience, I did not wish to distract you with
such news.  It never occurred to me that they might go to your audience!”
         Thomas felt the heat in his chest begin
to cool.  Still, he glared down at his spymaster.
“So why is it that it took you so long to come here?”
         “I took a few minutes to move some of my
spies about to keep a closer watch on Lord Dupré
and his men, your grace.  I will not lose him
again!” This last was said with such fierce
conviction that Thomas realized that Andwyn was
as much angry with himself for missing this as he was.
         “See that you don’t.” Thomas took a deep
breath and then looked to Malisa and Thalberg.
“Forgive me, but this has taken me by
surprise.  You recall the civil war in the
Southern Midlands that came to an end a short
time ago.  Lord William Dupré was one of its
antagonists.  But it seems he was not wholly to
blame.  He had the misfortune of crossing the
Marquis du Tournemire and was under his control.”
         Malisa blanched. “The Marquis
again!  How much suffering has he caused?”
         “Apparently the civil war was his
doing.  For some reason, it seems Verdane decided
to exile Dupré to our lands so that he would
suffer the curse.  Dupré has taken it upon
himself to swear fealty to me now.  I am very
wary about allowing the man who married Verdane’s
daughter into my service, but I cannot very well
refuse his fealty if he is so willing to offer it.”
         “Thomas,” Thalberg said, yellow eyes
intent. “I don’t know who this Dupré is or what
he intends.  But if he was once an intimate of
Verdane, then he could provide valuable
information to you.  He could become a strong
ally.  But you should not keep him close or
invite him into your inner circle. He should be
kept somewhere where he can do no harm.”
         “I agree,” Malisa added, her face
regaining some of its colour. “But I think we
should examine him magically to see what
lingering effects the Marquis’s control has had
over him.  This is the first chance we’ve ever
had to do that.  Everyone else the Marquis has had collared is dead.”
         “Sorry we’re late,” another voice
announced as two figures came through the
door.  The pair, a jackal and a fox, both
possessed the lingering scent of grime, though
both had also donned fresh clothes to hide
it.  The jackal grinned wickedly. “We just had a
little bit of trouble with a debriefing.”
         Thomas frowned at the Patrolmaster. “Is
it something we should know about?”
         “Nothing important but I’ll put it into
my next report.” George looked at the assembled
advisors and stretched one arm behind his back. “So, what’s the occasion?”
         “George, Misha, please sit,” Thomas
suggested. “We’re discussing the arrival of a
Southern Midlands noble who as exiled and sent
here.  He caught me by surprise in my audience an
hour ago and tried to swear fealty to me.”
         George snorted derisively, while Misha’s
one ear folded back like a beast who’d smelled
something they didn’t like. “What was he exiled for?” Misha asked.
         “He was involved with the civil war,”
Thomas replied. “He claims it was under the Marquis’s control.”
         Misha jumped to his feet, fire in his
eyes. “The Marquis!  But he’s dead!”
         “And why he says he’s no longer under his control.”
         George tapped one claw to his chin and
asked, “What young hothead is this who got
himself exiled?  And why in the world would he come here?”
         Thomas ground his teeth together and
said, “William Dupré, Baron of Mallow Horn.  Or
was at any rate.  And he came here because he
says being cursed is part of his punishment.  Now
he wants to serve me doing the gods know what.”
         George’s ears perked and he sat up
straight. “William Dupré?  Dupré is here and swearing loyalty to you?”
         Thomas nodded, eyes narrowing. “Yes.  Do you know him?”
         The jackal, upon whom all eyes had
turned, laughed and slapped his thigh with one
paw. “You should have accepted him right then and
there!  That man couldn’t tell a lie if he
tried.  Oh, he doesn’t always say the truth, but
darn it if he doesn’t believe it’s the truth with
all his heart.  If he wanted to swear allegiance
to you, then he meant it with all his
heart.  There’s not a deceptive bone in that
man’s body.  But don’t try to out flank him. He’s a devil on the battlefield.”
         “You’ve fought at his side?” Misha asked
in that curious surprise that a boy has on
learning his father might have a new adventure story to tell.
         “Against him.  And lost.” George
scratched at one arm as if the tale behind his
words were nothing important. “Before his brother
died and he inherited his title and lands, he
lead that prick Verdane’s elite troops, the Wolf’s Claw.”
         “The Wolf’s Claw?” Thalberg asked
curiously. “An apt name for the House Verdane.”
         “You’d say the same if you ever saw them
in battle.  They’re a cross between Misha’s Long
Scouts and DeLaroque’s Knights of the Red
Stallion.  I made the mistake of thinking they
were like any other troops.  I had them
surrounded, but my employer wanted Dupré alive,
so I gave them a chance to surrender.  Dupré,
that brazen whelp, told me exactly how he was
going to defeat my men.  I laughed at him, and
then he proceeded to do exactly what he said.”
George shook his head. “I escaped, but only
just.  I had the scars from the four arrows he
stuck in me until Metamor did this to me.” He
gestured as his dusty coat of fur and then
shrugged. “He then proceeded to slaughter my
employer and chased what was left of my men almost to Marigund.”
         Misha blinked and then let out the
breath he’d been holding. “I didn’t know you’d ever lost a fight.”
         “Everyone who’s fought as much as I have
has lost a few.  But only a few.” George turned
his eyes to the Duke and narrowed them. “Pardon
me for saying it, your grace, but you’d be a fool to turn this man away.”
         “We don’t know whether we can trust
him,” Thomas replied. “Apart from what you’ve
told us, we do not know him that well.”
         “Then the bat here isn’t doing his job,”
George snapped, gesturing at Andwyn.
         Andwyn narrowed his red eyes. “The
battle George is referring to had as its genesis
an unscrupulous merchant in Mitok who was making
a fortune illegally transporting various magical
artifacts.  One of these ended up being used to
assassinate one of Titian Verdane’s cousins.  The
merchant hired George and his band of mercenaries to protect his interests.”
         George’s eyes raised a bit. “Okay, you
have been doing your job.  So why don’t you know enough about Dupré?”
         “It isn’t his past that I do not know
of.  I met him myself when I served our
ambassador in Kelewair,” Andwyn replied rather
testily. “It is his part in the recent civil war
that is shrouded in mystery.  And why Verdane would exile him here.”
         “I admit,” Misha said with a moue, “that
has me suspicious.  I trust your judgement
George, but you have to admit this is pretty odd.”
         “Why?  This is the perfect place to
exile somebody.  They’ll never be able to leave.”
         “Not if they become a woman like me,”
Malisa pointed out. “Or a child.”
         George growled under his breath. “Fine!  I’ll go talk to him.”
         “Talk to him?” Thomas asked, ears lifted and tail still.
         “Aye, talk to him face to face.  I’ll
find out from his own mouth what in all the hells he’s doing here.”
         Thomas nodded and breathed a sigh of
relief.  This was exactly the sort of thing he
wanted.  George could talk to Dupré as a fellow
soldier.  And George was, if anything,
blunt.  And if he was right about Dupré, so was
his newest subject. “Thank you, George.  We’ll
hold off any further discussions about what to do
about William Dupré until you’ve had a chance to speak with him.”
         George leaned back in his seat and
appeared satisfied. “It’ll have to be
tomorrow.  I’ve got too any patrols to reorganize
today to do anything else.  Where’s he staying?”
         “The Shoeshine Inn,” Andwyn replied. “He has five men with him.”
         “That’s fine.  I’ll go by myself.”
         “You sure?” Misha asked, putting a paw on his friend’s shoulder.
         “Yeah.  Dupré will appreciate the ballsy approach.”
         Thomas tried not to laugh, and failed.
“Thank you, George.  Let us know what you
learn.  Until then, I suggest we return to our
many duties.” Misha and George were the first out
the door, pausing only long enough to bow their heads to their liege.

----------

         Sir Egland’s breath misted in the air as
he sat astride Galadan watching Alberta run
Povunoth in circles around the empty field
between the castle and the northern bailey walls
of Metamor.  He was used to her grace in the
saddle, but he wasn’t used to the quartet of
guards who stood by uneasily keeping a watchful
eye on her and him and his squire.  Intoran was
noticeably uncomfortable, pacing back and forth looking for something to do.
         As much as they unsettled him, the elk
knight was more bothered by the lack of antlers
on his head.  They’d fallen off last night, and
even though he’d hoped that their weight would
leave his head and poor strained neck, the abrupt
lightness made him feel dizzy.  Not to mention
somewhat less of a man, something that he had a
hard time explaining even to himself.
         He lifted one hoof-like hand and rubbed
it over his empty head and sighed, sending
another gust of mist into the air.  One of the
guards, a large bull named Andhun, glanced at him
and asked, “Is something wrong, Sir Egland?”
         Egland lowered his arm and turned his
head to the bull and quickly regretted the sudden
flash of vertigo. “I just lost my antlers last
night.  Still not used to the way my head feels. Oooh.”
         “Not sure what I’d do without my horns,”
Andhun replied, and the woman next to him
chuckled. “It’s true!  I just feel stronger with my horns.”
         Egland and Intoran both nodded in
understanding, while the woman continued to
chuckle. “And run into doors and walls too.”  The
other two guards, a teenager and a warthog, both
guffawed.  Egland and Intoran nodded at that comment too.
         All their heads turned as Alberta rode
up alongside.  Povunoth stamped his hooves and
snorted with the desire to gallop
again.  Alberta’s equine brow was bright with
long ears upraised. “Wilt thee sit there watching
me or shalt thee join me in a run, T’samut?”
         Egland gestured with one hand at the
castle. “I thought you wanted to wait for your husband, Yisaada.”
         Alberta shook her head, long tail
flicking from one flank of Povunoth to the other.
“Thomas hast been detained.  Some southern
noble.  ‘Tis a matter of state, but he didst
promise to come later.” There was disappointment
in her voice, but she could not help but glow
when she spoke her husband’s name.  She took a
long breath, her deep brown eyes studying the
castle with afternoon sun in the distance. “He
wilt need to come soon, but he wilt come.”
         “Then let us ride together for a bit,
until he comes,” Egland agreed, though hoping his
antler-less head wouldn’t betray him.
         The ground was level at this end of the
ridge, though beyond the curtain wall it sloped
precipitously.  Egland well recalled the night
one year ago that he had navigated that incline
in his beastly form with Sir Saulius strapped to
his back.  That night he’d been chasing Alberta,
then still his brother in knightly arms, Albert,
who had kidnapped the Duke and rode him like a
common beast to the south.  An evil wizard had
fixated him on the idea of making Thomas a
breeding stallion of the Steppe, and an enchanted
halter had given him the chance to make it so.
         But Egland had helped stop him and
ultimately break the halter’s hold over
Thomas.  And yet, despite the evil that had
brought them together, a true love had developed
between Thomas and Alberta.  What could never
have been conceived elsewhere, in what must
surely have been the most bizarre of courtships
in all of history, had finally led to a Ducal
wedding in Metamor with the former Steppelands knight.
         The elk snorted in amusement when he
realized that Alberta would be using Thomas for
breeding, but not quite in the way originally intended.
         The pair of them galloped at a decent
enough pace to drive the biting air through their
furry hides.  Alberta’s long tail was drawn
straight behind her, while the thick fur around
Egland’s neck hunched back to his shoulders.  He
could smell the threat of snow in the air, but
with a body suited to the north, the thought of
more winter weather rarely bothered
him.  Galadan, his steed, wasn’t as keen on it,
and he could feel his horse’s irritation at
galloping through the white froth vibrating up through the saddle.
         But he still loved to run.  Both he and
Povunoth demonstrated their knightly training
with verve, and by the time they’d made three
circuits of the field, they were snorting and
champing for more.  Egland bleated his delight
and Alberta brayed as they rounded one last
time.  And that’s when they noticed that there
were several more faces on the field than had been there a moment before.
         “Thomas!” Albeta cried, turning Povunoth
back toward where Intoran, the guards, and now
her husband waited.  The Duke of Metamor was
perched on a stately black steed who stomped his
hooves with regal indignation.  Thomas lifted the
reins to turn the stallion, but Alberta was upon
him.  She wrapped and arm around his shoulders as
Povunoth clattered to a stop, and yanked him half
out of the saddle and hugged him as equines do with their necks.
         “Alberta!  You looked beautiful out
there!” Thomas said with an exasperated
laugh.  His guards had as one moved toward them,
before remembering that this was his wife and not
a would be attacker.  They backed off, smiling to each other and watched.
         “‘Tis a lovely afternoon for a ride.  Didst thy affairs tax thee?”
         Thomas shook his head. “No more than
usual.  I will speak of them later.  Right now, I
just want to enjoy this evening with you.”
         Egland rode up behind them, but then
pulled Galadan to a halt.  He patted the steed on
the neck as he watched Alberta and Thomas lead
their horses in a steady trot through the
snow.  The guards all watched them go
too.  Egland wasn’t quite sure what to feel
himself, when he felt the strong grip of
Intoran’s hands holding Galadan’s reins steady.
“They do look lovely together,” the oryx said softly.
         “Aye, they do indeed,” Egland
agreed.  He turned his head smoothly, missed the
familiar whistle of his antlers, and smiled at
his squire as best his cervine snout would allow.
“They do indeed.” Intoran returned the warmth
with a gentle parting of his muzzle, and then the
two of them joined the guards in watching the
Duke and Duchess ride hand in hand.

!DSPAM:4aa4713072051804284693!