[Mkguild] Proposed redesign of the Mages' Guild Tower

Skylos skylos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 20:25:25 UTC 2010

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like its a mobius hallway - if you run
in a clockwise direction, you won't be running uphill, you won't run
downhill, but your ears will pop and you will find yourself entering the
entrance hall from the other side.

Does this mean that if you have a destination that is halfway up the tower
and the loop is a mile long, you always have to walk half a mile to get
there and half a mile to get back to the entrance hall?  (guessing at scale
from image)

Part of the reason we use vertical construction is that stacking things on
top of each other is very efficient use of three dimensional space.  You've
compeltely eliminated the point of a tower here by making the mage guild as
usefully accessible as putting all the rooms on the outside of a single loop
like the superconducting supercollider with no cross tunnels whatsoever.

You could solve the no-cross-connect problem by utilizing transparent
cross-atrium bridges and interlacing the elevation the hallway is at each
loop around the tower.  Getting to that remote location could be 'two and a
quarter loops around then straight across the bridge'.

Boggled by the pragmatism in the idea,

Skylos

--
"If only I could get rid of hunger by rubbing my belly" - Diogenes

!DSPAM:4c6c41cf112381804284693!