No subject

Thu Dec 9 22:33:57 UTC 2010

thee to be Sir William Dupré.”<br><br>
The ram's thick lips broke into a faint smile. “The same. You are Sir
Erick Saulius, knight errant of Metamor, and winner of the golden lance
these last two Summers. And your squire Charles Matthias I believe. Your
reputations precede you; it is an honor to meet such exalted warriors as
yourselves.”<br><br>
Charles and Erick glanced at each other before allowing their snouts to
break into genuine smiles. “And an honor to meet thee,” Saulius said at
last with a warmth that pierced the cold air. “Thou art on a similar
mission, to patrol the roads in this dark time?”<br><br>
Dupré nodded and uncrossed his arms, resting them on his thighs, hooves
stretching the stirrups for a moment as he relaxed. “Indeed. Allow me to
introduce my companions. Captain Isabelle Sobol,” he gestured to the
black-haired woman. She was dressed in a riding uniform of a dark red
feathered by a blend of gray and white with an insignia of a horseshoe
and human foot.<br><br>
“Ah, Captain Sobol,” Saulius showed his incisors with his grin, “thou
wert a delight to watch in last year's joust. How unfortunate that we
ne'er had the pleasure of a tilt.”<br><br>
“Perhaps this year,” she said with a lop-sided smirk. “I've been watching
you too.”<br><br>
“For the rest,” Dupré intoned, gesturing first to the dog, “this is
Alexander,” and then two the two youths, “Martin and Anthony,” and then
to the raven-haired woman, “and Samantha, one of Hareford's chief scouts
and tower commanders.”<br><br>
The woman almost blushed as she bowed her head, braided hair falling
across one shoulder. “Not nearly so much as that, but thank you. It is a
pleasure to meet you both.”<br><br>
Captain Sobol studied the rats critically. “Are you patrolling for the
Glen? I didn't think they had horsemen.”<br><br>
“They do not,” Saulius admitted. “But 'tis the home of my squire, and for
now 'tis where we serve. We did not expect to see any riders of Hareford
come south.”<br><br>
“It is good that we have,” Dupré interjected before Sobol could speak.
“It gives us one more opportunity to confer with our brothers in the
Glen. How are the people there taking the news from Metamor?”<br><br>
“Frightened and determined both. They hath a strong spirit and wilt do
whate'er is necessary to keep the Valley safe.”<br><br>
“So it is at Hareford. We've fifty men patrolling the pass where it is
safe. I'll be out there myself for the next two weeks. But first, I
wanted to cover the southwestern road; there may yet be other passes to
guard.”<br><br>
“These lands art the Glen's responsibility, Sir William.”<br><br>
“And yet they send only two where we could spare six.” Dupré lifted a two
fingered hand to ward off the rat's objection. “I do not doubt the Glen's
commitment, far from it. And certainly I would never question the bravery
of her people. I merely wonder if she has enough men to see to all the
lands she protects.”<br><br>
Charles put a paw on his knight's arm and said softly, “May I?” Saulius
nodded without hesitation.<br><br>
“Sir William, two years ago Nasoj sent one of his generals, Baron
Calephas, to set up a staging ground in the Dragon mountains just
northwest of the Glen. Calephas, as disgusting and loathsome as he is, is
no fool. His encampments were well guarded and well disguised. Misha
Brightleaf and I were assigned the task of coordinating with the Glen
scouts, finding him, and driving him out. And that we did with almost no
loss of life. They've never come back that way again.<br><br>
“That is what the Glen can do,” Charles's whiskers quivered as if an
exclamation point.<br><br>
The ram crossed his arms again and nodded several times, his ears laying
back against the inside of his curling horns. He snorted when the rat had
finished his explanation and his eyes brightened. “I like to know these
things firsthand myself, but your reputation has reached even my ears,
and I have lived here in Metamor not even three months. Perhaps you would
join us as we ride. I want to see the land west of here, and your company
would be most welcome.”<br><br>
He uncrossed his arms, cast Captain Sobol a brief glance, before
returning his gaze to the two rats. “So what say you, Sir Saulius. Shall
we ride together for a time?”<br><br>
His knight accepted without delay. “We art honored to accompany thee and
thy valiant companions.”<br><br>
Dupré waved his shaggy arm and laughed. “Then come join us. We can speak
more when we pause in a couple hours. Or reach the mountains, whichever
comes first.” The two youths grinned knowingly, and the dog wagged his
tail. The two women glanced at each other and shared an unreadable moment
before turning to the rats with welcoming smiles.<br><br>
Saulius and Charles nudged their ponies into line just behind the ram.
Together, the eight of them continued down the western road, the
white-peaked mountains rising above the tops of the long swaths of elm
and pine before them.<br><br>
May He bless you and keep you in His grace and love,<br><br>
Charles Matthias
!DSPAM:4e7f644b294005315134984!