[Mkguild] MK - New BEginings part 3

Christian Okane chrisokane at verizon.net
Mon Jan 18 17:21:07 UTC 2010

Here is part 3!

   Andwyn wasn't Sir Edmund Delacot's first choice of Keepers to ask about
Sir William Dupré of Mallow Horn's past, but as he found himself before the
spymaster's door, he realized the person who would be likely to know the
most. The spirit of the Keep, Kyia as she was called, must have directed his
steps as he debated to whom he should seek his answers. He'd never before
had occasion to call on the bat, but it could only be his door. A plaque
bearing his name and his duty as Chief Intelligence Advisor to the Duke was
affixed to the center of the door where all who could read the Galendish
letters could read it.

   No ornamentation or other beastly sigil marred the door. The suggestion,
after so much of the good humor amongst the other animal population of
Metamor, was that visits were to be kept to business and not to delve into
frivolity uninvited. Which made him also wonder if any mirth were ever
invited by the bat. But not knowing him at all, only knowing that he was
trusted by Duke Thomas, and regarded as eminently competent by both Misha
and George, even if neither liked him much, Sir Edmund was loathe to pass
judgment too swiftly.

   He knocked, and the bat's voice answered promptly. “Come in; the door is
unlocked.”

   Edmund opened the door and found a room smaller than he expected. Shelves
were stacked nearly to the ceiling, which was not fashioned from stone but
from a trellis work of iron rafters of various sizes. The shelves were
filled with bundles of parchment, decanters of liquids of every shade
possible, and numerous ceramic jars whose contents he didn't dare guess. A
large shuttered window occupied the far wall, with a latch set well out of
his reach. A brass platter that looked freshly and frequently cleaned lay on
the floor beneath the window sill. Hanging from one of the larger rafters
was the bat Andwyn, upside down, and holding a set of spectacles to his
small eyes as he perused a document resting on the top of one of the
shelves.

     “Sir Edmund Delacot,” Andwyn said with obvious delight as he set both
spectacles and report aside. He folded his wings over his chest and shifted
his feet until he hung facing the cheetah. “To what do I owe the pleasure of
your visit?”

   Edmund stared at the bat in wonder, and then chided himself for it. He
was a bat, of course he'd be most comfortable hanging upside down. He closed
the door behind him. "I had a visit from Sir William Dupré. He sought help
from me regarding his appointment as military commander in Hareford.  I have
heard rumors that he was involved in some vile things during the recent
civil war in the Southern Midlands in the last few months. I wanted to know
if these rumors are true."

   "What rumors?" the bat asked calmly.

   "That he lead massacres of Lightbringers," Edmund explained. "And if so,
why we would even allow such a man to run free in Metamor let alone grant
him command of our northern defenses!”

   Andwyn grasped a solitary peach from the top of his shelves and took a
bite. “Is that all?  Well, you can assure yourself and your friend Stealth
who, if he did not tell you these rumors, will certainly learn them from you
anyway, that he was responsible for butchering many Lothanasi during the
civil war. However, as to your other concern, William Dupré was under the
influence of a grave evil that Metamor herself has faced in the last two
years, and he did not act of his own accord. That evil over him is now
broken and so what he did under its influence is not to be held against him.
Still, our trust in him is provisional based on his actions. Should he even
breath a disloyal sentiment, it will be his last. Are you satisfied?”

   He didn't know whether to flinch or knock the bat from his perch. "No I
am not!" he snarled in clipped terms. "I dislike you attitude and your
comments about me and my friend."

   “Then tell me one secret that you have not shared with him.”

   "I trust him far more then I trust you," Edmund glared at the bat in
stony silence. It was the predator's stare, and it had intimidated many
other men of great strength.

	Andwyn merely took another bite from his peach. “And my point is
made. Do not trouble yourself with questions of Dupré's loyalty. He is our
concern. Take whatever precautions you feel is necessary to keep him out of
the Haunted Wood, but tell him whatever he wants to know. From what I know
of him, the more sated his curiosity, the less trouble he will be.”

   "He IS my worry Sir," Edmund countered. "I have taken an oath before the
great one to stop such evils and be sure those responsible are brought to
justice. My friendship with Stealth should not be of concern to you. He is a
friend. What I share with him is my own concern.”

     “So long as you wish to remain in the dark about why decisions are made
here at Metamor, that is true. And as a knight, you are right, that is
perfectly acceptable for you. But do not come to me expecting me to divulge
anything you don't already know. I will only ever tell you what it is safe
for you and for him to know.”

   Edmund gave a chirp of laughter. "I was going to say the same of you and
Dupré. Both of you will only know what I want you to know. And why don't you
trust me? I've proved my loyalty to Metamor over the last year many times
over. And I've never decimated anyone, under an evil influence or not!”

   Andwyn's voice and red-eyed stare was unforgiving. “Until you can keep
secrets from a friend when asked, you can be trusted with none. I do not say
this to denigrate your loyalty, Sir Delacot. It is merely a truth. I have
served as a spy for many, many years. You are a knight.  You are the sword.
I learn who the target is. Being able to swing a sword does you no good
unless you know who the target is. But the why's are not always for the
sword to know."

   "Oh please!" the feline shot back contemptuously. "Spare that idiotic
speech for the young fools who are gullible enough to believe it. You're a
spy and an assassin. Rather then face a person in honest combat you stab
them in their sleep and you poison their food.”

   "Do you know who at Metamor apart from Duke Thomas is worth the most to
Nasoj?” Andwyn asked ignoring Edmund's barbs.

   “Misha Brightleaf I suppose or perhaps George both have done much to
thwart Nasoj," the paladin answered.

   “Nasoj desires Misha greatly it is true. Few are worth more to Nasoj than
George and Misha. But it is not him. It is me. And Phil before me. If Nasoj
knew the secrets I know, he wouldn't need an army to conquer Metamor. That
is the power of a spy. And in these days when we have enemies on all sides,
that power is one of our greatest assets. So do you understand now that I do
not slight you or anyone else when I refuse to tell you what you wish to
learn?”

   "No," he shot back. "I hear the arrogance and self importance of an
overinflated ego," Edmund paused for a moment and brought his anger into
check. His heart slowed and he forced his hackles to lower. He was not
acting in the calm manner befitting a knight and a paladin. The bat was no
threat. He might not like his words, but he could not deny their truth. No
wonder Misha and George always hated having to report to him. "But I do
understand the importance and the dangers of a spy."

   “If you wish to learn all that I know of William Dupré, I will tell you
on the condition that you swear never to speak of it to your friend Stealth
or anyone else. Is that something you can do?”

   Edmund shook his head. “No, I cannot. Stealth wouldn't understand. He
keeps nothing from me. I will follow your advice regarding William Dupré.
But I want to know if there is anything more you can tell me, anything
concrete, that can give me a better sense of the man. Things that will not
compromise Metamor if they are revealed.”

   Andwyn frowned, or so Edmund thought. He then realized that the bat was
smiling. It merely looked like a frown with him hanging upside down. “Well
said, Sir Edmund. You'll find a high chair behind the door. Sit and I will
tell you what I can.”

   And that, Edmund discovered, proved to be quite a bit more than he
expected.

***************

	The journey to William's new home was surprisingly quiet.  He,
Captain Sobol, Becket and his men rode at the head of the 1st Equitaire
company along the main road north from Metamor.  They left early in the
morning, cold and cool with a clear sky.  Snow lined the hard packed road
and trees thronged close by.  The forests, William saw, would normally be
dark, but now with the snow, they seemed bright and blue like the sky.

	They made good time, pausing around noon for a quick meal and then
resuming their journey.  Along the way they passed a smaller castle thrust
into a lake that Captain Sobol informed him was the lands of Lord Barnhardt.
Two hours later the road turned to the northeast around a forest with trees
stretching higher than the towers of his home.  This he was told, was Glen
Avery, a land of people who lived in trees and burrows like the beasts they
had become, but also a people who produced some of the best scouts in all of
Metamor.  And to the east somewhere lay the Haunted Woods, a place that Sir
Edmund had briefed him on, albeit reluctantly – there was much that he'd
held back, but William would learn the rest later in his own way.

	Another two hours of travel along the road brought them to the land
between the forest and the northern edge of the valley.  The sun was shining
in the late afternoon, though it neared the edge of the mountains and would
soon depart.  Farm lands covered in snow lined either side of the road.
Small villages clustered along the road filled with all manner of people
going about their normal lives.  Beyond and standing on the tallest hill was
the town of Hareford.

   The reception committee waiting for William and his people outside the
town was small but cheerful. Standing in front of the gate was a half dozen
figures. What caught William's attention first was the person in the center
of the group. This person was tall, at least six foot and was a lion of some
sort. There was no mistaking that mane. He was wearing a long robe colored a
deep, blood red and covered with bright gold swirls and lines. What confused
William was that the feline was jet black in color. Fur, tail and mane was
all the color of black ink.

   William and his men all dismounted as they approached.  Squires amongst
the Equitaine collected the reins.  The ram approached the lion, cloven
hooves digging into the frozen earth.

   "Sir Dupré," the feline said and bowed deeply. "It is a pleasure to meet
you. I am Sir Nestorius lord of Hareford."

   William bowed in return. "Thank you for the warm greeting. It is a
pleasure to meet you.”

   Nestorius pointed to the woman standing next to him. "This is my wife
Amelia."

   William gave a deep bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you my lady," he said.
The noble gestured to the boar standing next to him. "I'd like you to meet
Captain Becket."

   The boar gave a bow. "It's an pleasure to meet you."

    William Dupre' pointed to a powerfully built, black and tan dog morph
and three younger soldiers obviously effected by the age regression part of
the curse. "These are Alexander, Robert, Martin and Anthony. My aides."  He
gestured to the woman at his other side. “And this is Captain Sobol of the
1st Equitaire.  Her company has been stationed here as well.”

   "All your people are welcome here." Nestorius replied. He placed a hand
on the shoulder of a blonde haired woman wearing chainmail armor. "This is
Marcia Caruslo my Castellan." he then pointed to an eagle morph who was
wearing nothing but a loincloth and a quiver. He was carrying a bow and had
a small spear strapped to his back between his wings. "And this is Marcus
Caruslo the leader of Dukes scouts who patrol around and from here."

   William nodded to each, putting their names and faces, so unique and
different from what he was once used to, into his mind. "I'd like to get my
troops into their barracks and the guards and patrols set for the evening,"
William commented. “Which will not be long in coming. The ride from Metamor
has taken all day.”

   The black furred lion nodded. "Always the professional. Just like
Edmund," he said obviously pleased. "Right this way. The barracks and your
own quarters are ready and waiting. After that I'll give you a tour of
Hareford, it's troops and defenses."

*************

   After passing through the gatehouse the group found itself in a large
open area that gave way to the tight, twisting streets of the town of
Hareford. There was a large group of people gathered in this area. They all
looked at William and his soldiers as they walked past. Staring at them but
with obvious curiosity and chatting among themselves.

   "We are expected," William said trying to remain calm.

   "Scouts brought word of your approach several hours ago," Marcia
explained. "And word of your being assigned here arrived hours before that
even though we kept word of it quiet."
   "No effort was made to keep it a secret at Metamor," Dupré commented.
"All of my soldiers knew of it two days ago. I do wonder are secrets safe in
this town?"

   "Never fear," Marcia countered. "Gossip travels fast in town but
important secrets remain secret." she smiled and laughed. "I can tell you
who is secretly dating who, but patrol patterns and the movement of scouts
are not discussed."

   Nestorius nodded in agreement. "I have not forgotten the lessons I
learned from my days in the Twilis Olboskol. We take secrecy very
seriously."

   William smiled and he and Becket exchanged quick glances. Just how
serious they took secrets and how much they passed back and forth was a very
large concern of his. No need to let them know just how much he would take
an interest in such things yet. “That sounds very appropriate. Let us
continue with the tour then.”

**********

   William walked along the barracks examining the room carefully, his
hooves clattering on the wooden boards. The barracks was a large open room
with beds along the walls and a few tables lining the center. Fireplaces on
either end had large fires in them giving the room a warmth that was welcome
after being in the cold so long. "It is a little spare."

   Nestorius shrugged. "It has only seen short term use till now. The troops
who came here only stayed for a mere thirty days at a time before being
rotated out."

   "We'll see about livening up the quarters," Marcia commented. "And making
them more friendly."

   Nestorius nodded. "Yes. Replastering the walls and adding some carpeting.
And perhaps another fireplace or two."

   Marcia smiled as she watched the ram inspect the barracks. "Better still
we could build an addition to this building by adding another floor."

   "Good. This place is clean, warm and dry." William responded. "Far better
than many barracks I have seen."

   "A fine idea," Nestorius commented cheerfully. "If there is not enough
room we could always build larger barracks in the town itself. That will
make enough room for everyone. Unfortunately all that must wait till spring.
Till then we will do what we can to make it more comfortable. What of
families? Some of your troops are married I assume."

   "Yes, the families are going to follow in a few days," William answered.

   "Good!" the feline said. "That gives up time to arraign proper places for
them. There is not enough room for all the families in the castle itself but
there are plenty of houses in town."

   William found himself liking this Nestorius. He seemed to genuinely care
about the people under his care. When told he was a wizard, William had
expected a man deep into esoteric study with little time for the mundane
affairs of the common folk. He was hopeful that this obsidian lion was
proving him wrong. Best to make him completely at ease then.

   “Becket,” William said, turning to the boar following dutifully at his
side.

   “Yes, Sir Dupré?”

   “See that our men all have billets. I'll rejoin you after Sir Nestorius
has completed his tour.”

   “Of course,” the boar nodded, and then left to confer with Captain Sobol
and the folk of Hareford.

   William smiled to the lion and gestured with the sweep of one arm. “Shall
we continue then?”

   End part 3

!DSPAM:4b5498a0105351804284693!