[Mkguild] Dream's Aria: repudiation (4 of 4)

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 05:43:19 UTC 2010

Whether heard or felt the second utterance of the word found its way into the
small corner of Egland’s mind that had not become totally lost in the
overwhelming physical responses and need burning through him and the elk thrust
himself back with a snort.   With eyes white-rimmed and his ears rising and
falling in confusion Egland snorted heavily.  “No?  NO?” he groaned and clutched
his head in both thick fingered hands.  “Will e’en you refute me now?  You turn
me away?”  Aghast and ashamed at the shreds of dignity fast being stripped away
by his tumult of emotional loss and physical need Egland turned to rise but the
marten was more swift.
With his night-robe still hanging akimbo about his waist Dream leaned forward
and pushed Egland back down with a strong hand upon his shoulder.  Before the
elk could break away again the marten moved to straddle his thighs and captured
his powerful muzzle with both hands.  “No, my ts’amut, no.” Dream held the
cervine muzzle and looked once again into Egland’s sorrowful eyes.  The elk
could not return his gaze, rolling his eyes away and dropping his hands weakly
to the cushions afraid to touch the minstrel, not trusting himself.
“What you feel, ts’amut, you feel not out of desire or love but grief and fear.”
Dream said gently with his muzzle close enough for Egland to smell the tea on
his breath.  “Never passion in the depths of grief, dear one.  It serves naught
but to cut deeper though you think it assuages your agony.”  He shook his head
slowly, “It is a false vessel into which to spill your pain.”
Spiraling once again into the dark abyss of despair Egland moaned, “’No’, you
said.” He countered, trying to turn his head away but the marten’s gentle grasp
was too strong.  “You desire me not!”
As if to deny the claim Dream kissed the elk.  Not with the furious intensity of
urgent need but a more tender caress of lips.  “Nay, Sir Yacoub Egland Knight of
Yesulam, nay.” He smiled and shook his head, “I desire you very much.”  His
hands caressingly stroked Egland’s muzzle.  “But t’is you I desire, not the
heedless grief that burdens your heart.”
“What, then, shall I do?” Egland groaned in sorrow, “I know nothing but this
burning sorrow.” He sighed sadly, dropping his head between Dream’s forearms to
get away from that kind and gentle kiss that still burned upon his lips.  “And
fear, Dream, this terrible black fear.”
Dream kissed the top of his nose once more before sidling back and standing.
Without repairing the spill of the robes that exposed him to his waist he
extended one hand.  “Firstly, my handsome young friend, you sleep.”  Egland
looked at the lounging couch upon which he sat with a moue of consternation that
caused Dream to chuff.  “And you shan’t sleep in my parlor!”  Dubiously Egland
accepted the hand and carefully stood to his hooves.  Dream retrieved the cane
from the floor where it had fallen and passed it to him before walking toward
the curtained archway.  He shouldered the robe loosely back into place as he
went and drew the tapestry aside.
The room beyond was darker still than the now dim receiving room as there was
only a single narrow casement in one wall.  Egland followed Dream into the
shadows and gauged the room by the deeper shadows within the murk.  Most
dominant was the looming shadowy hulk of a canopy bed against the far wall but
not one but three wide wardrobes along the left most wall.  A broad desk, or
vanity, at which Dream stood striking a flint to the wick of a lamp, dominated
the right wall near the casement.  Near the archway was a hearth not currently
in use or laid ready.
A moment later the lantern sputtered to life and a warm yellow light chased away
the shadows when Dream set it in front of a polished reflector.  Crossing toward
the wardrobe he passed Egland who still stood a pace within the room looking
around and traced his hand across the elk’s chest in passing.  “The bed is right
there, ts’amut, make use of it.”  He smiled and waved his other hand toward the
huge canopy bed.  Egland looked toward it dubiously even though it did look more
comfortable even than the lounge had been.  He felt terribly self conscious and
lost.  Dream went to one of the wardrobes and began ruffling through the crowded
rack of garments.  “I have to go out, Yacoub.” He said while selecting an armful
of clothing.  “The night is young and a musician has to earn his coin.”  Egland
watched the busy marten as he carried the neatly folded heap of clothing over to
the vanity to drape over a chair.
Despite being intimidated by the opulent excess of the marten’s taste Egland had
to admit that the events of the day, more especially the last couple of hours,
had left him so exhausted he feared he would fall on his muzzle very soon.  With
a faltering shamble he crossed to the bed and noticed that it was actually
elevated on a pedestal that he had to step up onto just to reach it.  The stone
of the pedestal was warm under his hooves, heated by some mechanism beneath the
floor he did not know, but it was not hot.  He sat down upon the edge of the bed
and rested his elbows on his knees to watch Dream because his mind was slowly
shutting down bit by bit and he could not contemplate any other course of
action.
The musician’s vanity was dominated by the single largest mirror Egland had seen
outside the parlor of a King that threw back the light of his single lamp and
sketched half of the marten’s frame in shadow.  Dream removed his night robe and
deftly folded it into a loose bundle and set it aside and stood before the
vanity to examine the fur of his chest.  Egland merely watched dumbly without
feeling even the slightest stirring of either self-conscious shame or interest
in the ungarbed minstrel.

Dream glanced in the mirror and caught his empty stare.  “Doff your tabard,
ts’amut, and lay down before you fall.” He admonished gently at the reflection
in his mirror.  Taking up a brush with short bristles he dipped it into a nearby
basin and scrubbed at the fur of his chest lightly.  Egland looked down at his
tabard, at how the yellow light turned the green to a muddy brown and the white
to flat gold, and let out a slow sigh.  A touch upon his face brought his
attention back up to find Dream standing before him, now fully garbed and the
room considerably darker.

 “You’re dozing where you sit, Yacoub.” He pointed out with a gentle smile and
dropped his hand to move slightly toward Egland’s side.  Drawing back the heavy
down coverlet he patted the silk sheets, “Sleep, ts’amut, stop fighting it like
an unruly child doing war with naptime.”  With a yawn Egland did as he was bade
for there was little else he could do.  Dream captured his shoulders as he
turned and deftly unlaced the stays of his tabard to draw it off and let it
drape over one of his arms while Egland stretched out onto the inviting soft
coolness of the silken bed.
            “And might I tell you something, ts’amut?”  Dream leaned over once
Egland had let his head drop to one of the many pillows.  The elk nodded slowly
up at the shadowed face leaning over him.  “What you did, I caused you to do,
okay?  Think on that as you sleep, and what did happen in the end.”
            Egland narrowed his eyes slightly as that percolated through the
morass the stresses of the day had left of his thoughts and emotions.  “I
almost…” he started to say but Dream laid a staying finger upon his lips.
            “Exactly, ts’amut, almost.  Twice, almost.  You fear that you’re
losing yourself, the core of what defines you, but you are not.  Twice you came
close to violating those vows, and twice you stayed yourself.  Do you
understand?”
            “But,” Egland tried to formulate a cogent response but the room was
steadily growing darker and the weight of exhausted sleep was pressing ever more
heavily upon him.  “What if… if I had not listened to… your… ‘no’?”  He yawned
again trying to keep his eyes open.  Dream laughed softly and leaned over to lay
a hand upon his chest and touch his lips lightly with a kiss.
            “My second appellation is Serpent for a purpose, handsome.” He
winked, “Sleep now, I shall return… at some point.”  Dream swept away with a
swirl of his dark cloak carrying Egland’s tabard and disappeared through the
curtained archway.  On the vanity the lamp guttered with the merest hint of a
flame while pale moonlight defined a ghostly line across the foot of the bed.
Egland watched the flickering wick of flame until the darkness of his falling
eyelids doused it.

Fin.

!DSPAM:4c3959f8169731080519667!