[Mkguild] Echoes of the Dead Wood Part 3

Stealth stealthcat15 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 03:42:23 UTC 2010

Part 3

   Dinner started promptly at 5:30pm and was announced by Amelia - the
lady of the castle standing in the main hall and ringing a small bell.
The two cheetahs followed her as she walked into the dining room.

   Standing close to Amelia and hanging onto her skirt was a little
girl that Stealth recognized as Samantha. Amelia’s youngest daughter.

    The little girl’s face brightened into a smile. "Hi!" she said and waved.

   "Hello..." The cheetah said shyly.

   Amelia smiled. "Stealth! It's good to see you again! Welcome back."

   Stealth bowed, "Thank you milady, I'm sorry Bridgette couldn't make
the trip out."

   Amelia hugged Stealth who blushed and purred. Then the woman turned
to Edmund and smiled. "And this is Edmund. Bridgette told me so much
about you. You’re even more handsome then she described you."

   "Oh..." Edmund blushed, his tail flicking about, "It is a pleasure
to meet you, milady."

   She hugged Edmund. "Thank you for coming. It’s a pleasure to have
you share our house for dinner."

   The group made their way to the dining room. Nest and Amelia took a
seat at the centre of the table with Edmund and Stealth next to them.
The kids on either side. Seated just off Amelia was her daughter,
directly in front of Stealth. The cheetah sighed softly.

   "I would like to thank my good friends Edmund and Stealth for so
graciously joining us for dinner," Nest said in warm tones.

   "It's an honour to be here and I thank you for inviting us and for
meeting your wonderful family," Edmund answered.

   Stealth turned his head down prompting a gentle kick in the shins
from Edmund.

   "It's a pleasure to be here." He said shyly.

   Nest nodded. "Thank you. I'm glad you came."

    "We’re delighted you invited us. It's been too long since I've had
a good meal." Edmund commented.

   "I've prepared Braised lamb over a bed of carrots and artichoke
leaves," she said cheerfully.

   "So Edmund," Nestorius said casually, "You are quite familiar with
the woods, I understand."

   Stealth started to say something but Edmund cut him off with a poke
to the ribs.  "Yes. We've been there several times of the past few
months; I've made freeing the souls there my work."

   Stealth looked at the paladin with a hint of irritation and slumped
his head in his palm.

   Nest tilted his head to the side in query.

   "Stealth has not enjoyed our trips there." Edmund explained. "He
does not like bothering the undead."

   "No one does I'm sure..." The lion said, rubbing his chin scruff,
"Have you discovered any relics on your journeys? Perhaps uncovered
the history of the ancient city?"

       "A thing or two," Edmund answered evasively. "But we refrain
from taking anything from the woods. The Shadow and the ghosts do not
like looters."

   Nest took a long slow drink of his wine before speaking. “I have
been wondering about something. Perhaps you can help me?"

   "Oh?” Edmund asked. "I will help if I can."

   "The duke rules over the entire valley and gives the honour of
controlling parts of it to certain nobles. Just as I control Harford."

   "Yes," the cheetah answered. "And?"

   "Well who has the duke assigned the lands in the haunted woods?
Does some noble family control it? Or try to control it."

   "I don't know. I've never really considered that since no living
person has lived there in centuries."

   "I'm sure that land belongs to someone and whoever that is,
technically has the right to take what they wish from the ruins..."
The mage mused.

   Stealth made a chirp of laughter. "I'm sure the ghosts and the
shadow have something to say about that."

   "And the shadow had what to say about the things you took?"

   "We did not take them," Edmund said with anger in his voice. "We
were allowed to use them."

   "I thought you refrain from taking things..." Nest reminded as he
sipped his wine.

   Edmund bared his teeth. "I’m not in the mood for word games wizard.
Those woods are very deadly. I have seen the remains of those who
tried to loot the dead. I alone have befriended the shadow as we had
the same goal in mind. Freeing the souls there."

   Nest held up his hands. "My apologies Edmund. I meant no insult but
you must admit the lure of that much treasure is a constant temptation
for those of lesser minds or weaker wills."

   Edmund nodded his head slowly. "All too true. It is a common affliction."

   Any further conversation was cut off as the servants arrived with
the soup. Placing large bowls of the steaming liquid in front of every
adult.

   "This looks good!" Edmund chirped.

   "Smells good too... what is it?" Stealth asked.

   "Shepherd soup!" Amelia explained. "A mix of mutton, vegetables and noodles."

   The group was silent for several minutes as everyone enjoyed the
soup. It wasn't until his bowl was empty that Edmund spoke, "What
information do you have on the size of the ruins? I wonder just how
many people died there."

   "Well I have seen a census taken in 632CR that placed the
population at 12,317," Nest said.

   Edmund nodded but how accurate was the census? "Such things are
never truly accurate."

   "We will never know until we can see firsthand," the lion answered.

   Edmund nodded."What other records have you turned up any other
census or some sort of count? I know of a single record of the
military strength in the valley at the fall."

   "Has the shadow fox ever told you how many souls are in the ruins?"
the lion asked. "It should know."

   Edmund shook his head. "No he has not told me this. His trust of me
only goes so far. There is much I must earn."

   "Then we must remove it." The lion intoned.

   "Remove it?" Edmund asked. "Do you understand just how powerful
that shadow is?"

   "I do. That is why I advise we remove it, I doubt we can ever
control such a creature"

   "More powerful people then you and I have tried. This is no minor
shadow. It is extremely powerful. It had defeated all attackers,"
Edmund countered.

   "Then what of the ghosts? When you free them will the shadow still
linger?" Nest asked. "Do you expect to free them at all within your
lifetime?"

   Edmund nodded his head slowly. "The shadow is here because he made
a promise to protect the people here. When the ghosts are freed so
will he."

   "What?" The lion asked confused, "Are you saying it is not bound
here at all?"

   "The shadow is bound to protect the people and the city but if the
spirits were freed it would no longer be bound to the ruins."

   "Bound by what? By words? A promise?" Nestorius asked eagerly.
"Knowing that would be a great help to us all."

   Edmund shook his head. "That he will not, cannot tell me. There is
only so much that the shadow can tell me. The rest we must uncover for
ourselves."

   Nest sighed. "That is to be expected. Will he prevent our quest?"

   Edmund made a wave of the hand. "No. Since we all want the same
thing - the freeing of the ghosts there."

   "Still it is best if we tread carefully," the mage said and took a
sip of wine.

   “Indeed...”

   The lion was silent for a moment before speaking. "And what of the
summoning chamber, what if I were to control the shadow for my own
ends or it thought I intended to? How would it prevent that without
impeding us?"

   Edmunds answer was in cold, hard tones. “If the shadow thought you
were a threat it would kill you quickly very violently. Misha saw the
shadow kill an ogre with no more trouble them you and I have in eating
this lamb."

   "Technically I am a threat; neither you nor it knows my intentions
and you have been evasive in telling me what I seek." Nest answered in
mild irritation, "I could very well claim the shadow and take control
of Metamor. Even Nasoj would have since contemplated the thought."

   "Nasoj HAD probably considered it. And he was wise enough to not
try or he did try and failed. As would you." Edmund said. "And if you
tried I would settle the issue myself with you."

   “Well . . .  You need not worry about me. I have more sense than to
try and control such creatures. I worry about other mages. I just hope
they have the sense to not try."

   "So do I," Edmund commented, "So do..."at that point a noodle
sailed thru the air and bounced off of Edmunds nose.

   This brought a round of childish giggling and laughter.

   Edmund turned to his friend, “why did you hit me with a noodle?” he
asked in calm tones.

   “To liven things up! It suits you," Stealth answered cheerfully.

   Edmund shook his head. “I take it you did not like our choice of
dinner conversation?”

   “I tried, I swear I did...”

   “So tell me, Edmund, how’s Bridgette been?” Amelia asked changing
the subject, “When are you to going to get married?”

   Samantha pointed at the two cheetahs and said “They’re getting married?!”

   The paladin’s eyes went wide.

   “No honey.” Amelia said, “Edmund and Bridgette. Remember she came
to lunch a little while back.”

   Stealth chuckled and Edmund shook his head for a moment. Even Nest
gave a rumble of delight.

   "Well, we have grown closer as of late...." Edmund said uncomfortably.

   Amelia smiled. "So when will you ask her the question?"

   "I..." Edmund stuttered.

   Stealth laughed openly his tail flicking back and forth energetically.

   Amelia turned and looked at Stealth. "What about you? Have you
found a girl yet?"

   The feline's laughter died suddenly, "Well, I..."

   “Oh we must find you someone to settle down with, Stealth," she
commented cheerfully.

   "I've got you Ed..." He said, placing his hand on the paladin's.

   Edmund shook his head. "Sometimes you really worry me Stealth," he joked..

----------------------------------

   “Ed, listen.” Stealth pestered.

   “Yes?” Edmund asked and then a chamberlain entered the room.

   Stealth pinched his nose bridge and fell back on his bed. As soon
as he heard the door close he leaped up, “Alright, now listen.”

   Edmund perked his ears and listened intently, his friend paused and
waited for an interruption but there was none.

   “Ed, you know I’m not under your command... you do know that right?
You have got to STOP ordering me around.” The feline said sharply.

   Edmund nodded, “Yes, my many years in the army has...”

   “Guess again Ed.” Stealth interrupted, “Even if I did take orders
from you, it still wouldn’t amount to this...”

   He sat down and continued in a more subdued voice, “Edmund, you do
not know what is right for me. You have got to stop telling me how to
live my life down to the smallest detail.”

   “Have I been doing that?” he asked surprised.

   “Do you feel I'm lying... or exaggerating Ed?”

   “No!” he answered quickly. “You’ve never lied to me before so why
should you now? It’s just that I never realised that I was being so
overbearing.”

   “Ed... I might be way off on this but...” He scratched his head,
“do you have any younger siblings?”

   “I have several. 2 brothers and a sister,” he answered

   “Did you let them down?”

   “Why do you ask?” Edmund asked.

   “I’m just wondering if you’re trying to make up for something.
Actually that was rather harsh, do you THINK you let them down?”

   “Well,” he said and hesitated. “We all have regrets and mistakes in
our past.”

   Stealth thought for a moment and surprised the Paladin again when
he answered, “We don’t have to have this discussion. If you're not
comfortable.”

   “Well,” he said “My younger brother Aldred had a difficult youth. I
tried to help out but he always seemed to make the hard choices.”

   “And what, it was your fault?” The feline scoffed.

   “I should have done more!”

   “What were your parents doing, Ed? What about your brothers and
sisters? Or did they all dump the responsibility on you?”

   “He didn’t listen to mother or father. I’m his older brother - we
all watch out for each other.”

   “There is only so much you can do Edmund, and you know it.” Stealth
answered bluntly, “But is this why you’ve been so overbearing? Do you
think I'm heading down the same road as your brother?"

   Edmund did not speak but shook his head and sighed.

   “Just think about what I said, Ed.”

   “I will Stealth. I will.”

   Stealth nodded and turned to blow out the candle.

   “Stealth...!” Edmund called out in a faint voice.

   “Yes?” The cheetah asked.

   Edmund blushed, “Did Bridgette... What did Bridgette say about me?”

   Stealth grinned, “She said you’re very brave.”

   Edmund nodded silently.

   “...and cute.” He added.

   “Oh!” Edmund churred as his tail whipped about.

   “Goodnight Ed.” Stealth said and blew out the candle.

--
My Fur Affinity page - http://www.furaffinity.net/user/stealthcat/

My Deviant Art page - http://stealthcat15.deviantart.com/

!DSPAM:4be780a2129701804284693!