[Mkguild] The Spotting of a Knight: Part 3 of 3

Kamau jc2blion at taconic.net
Thu May 13 00:49:14 UTC 2010

The Spotting of a Knight
Formerly; Pierga falls under the curse

By Kamau

Part 3
------
"Why did Misha pick me for this mission?" the goat keeper asked looking
up at the others who towered over her.

"Because Claire," the bear replied adjusting his backsword. "of those
currently in the Keep you're the best archer we have."

"But Tony, I'm no predator," she continued to complain.

"Neither am I," the ox told her with a snort. "but that didn't stop him
from putting me on this mission."

"But look at the size of you," Claire continued, a tremble in her voice.
"Zane, I'm a goat, a prey animal. If this is a big cat of some kind I'm
an easy meal for him."

The big cat that was a member of the team laughed

"Goat or not, I've seen you too many times in battle to believe that,"
the Smilodon said. "I'd wager that you'd be harder then a porcupine for
him to get near."

"You're right there Sal," the ox said with a smile. "I certainly
wouldn't want to close on her while she still has arrows."

"Though I've got to say you do look tasty," the Smilodon said turning
toward the goat Keeper.

Claire reflexively leaped away from her friend, her eyes wide in fear.
Then, coming to her senses she glared at him, realizing the joke that
had triggered her new instincts.

"Claire why are you so nervous about this?" Came a voice from above the
group.

Looking up Claire saw the crow that made the fifth member of the team
now circling just above their heads.

"There's just something unnatural about all this," the goat continued.
"As long as anyone can remember we haven't had a big cat in this part of
the valley. Why are the villagers suddenly plagued by one now?"

"A good question," Zane replied, scratching behind his horn. "Either way
we have to take care of the threat."

"That's part of what bothers me," she said fingering her medallion of
Artela.

"Ah that's the problem," the ox said pointing to the Lothanasi symbol
about her neck. "Have you made some pledge to the goddess?"

"If you have you should have said something before we left," the crow added.

"Sandra," the goat said looking skyward. "If I had I certainly would
have excused myself. No it's something else but I've been asking Artela
to help us."

By this time the team of scouts had reached the edge of the village. As
they neared an inn one of the town's people, a deer, came running up to
greet them. His eyes were so wide they could see the white about the
dark orbs.

"Thank the gods you're here," he said almost in a panic. "You've got to
rid us of this demon."

"Demon?" Sal replied, a puzzled look on his muzzle. "I thought you had
problems with a predator?"

As his eyes met the speaker the deer morph leaped back from the group,
his tail raised in alarm.

"Whoa," Zane said placing himself between the deer and his feline
companion. "Sal's here to help, not hurt you. Now is it a demon or a big
cat that you're having problems with?"

"A big cat," the man exclaimed not taking his eyes off the large feline
before him. "It's taken two calves and a heifer in the last week yet no
one has so much as seen it."

"Greg, calm yourself," a fox counseled as he approached the group. "this
cat is not a demon. It's just a very good hunter."

He then turned his attention to the scouts and introduced himself.

"I'm Isaiah Hill. I'm mayor of the village."

"Good to meet you," the bear said extending his paw. "I'm Tony Rourke.
Misha sent us to help you with this problem. Is there someplace we can
go and talk?"

"Of course," the vulpine replied. "My house is just over here."

Once out of earshot of the deer the fox turned to the scouts.

"I do apologize for Greg," the mayor began. "He has been having a great
deal of trouble controlling his instincts and the appearance of this cat
has only made that worse."

"I think we all understand that problem," Zane replied with a flick of
his bovine ears. "It's only somewhat over a year since Nasoj did this to
us. All of us have had our problems with our new forms."

"Beside you don't have to be prey to have these put a fright into you,"
Sal added, tapping one of his exposed eight inch fangs.

"Thank you for understanding," the vulpine said opening the door to the
cottage. "It is somewhat comforting to know we are not the only ones
suffering from that."

Once inside he offered them all a drink and explained the situation.

"About a month ago one of the farmers lost a cow. While not a common
occurrence it's not unheard of for wolves to raid the outlying farms
from time to time. What was unusual was that the cow was dragged off
into the woods."

"That takes a good size predator to drag a cow," Zane commented.

"Indeed it does," the fox answered. "but what was even stranger was we
found the remains of the cow in a tree."

"In a tree?" Echoed Sal, stopping in the midst of taking a drink.
"You're sure none of those here who are predators did this."

"We don't have anyone who's a large predator in the town," the mayor
answered.

How much of the cow did you find?" Claire asked relieved by the mayor's
reply.

"A good half of it was left," the vulpine answered.

"That's a lot of weight to haul up into a tree," Sal commented.

"Then a couple days later another farm lost some sheep," the mayor
continued. "We never did find those but we did find tracks in the stream
bank not far from where the sheep had been hurdled. Since then every two
to three days someone has reported losing some live stock."

"I can see why you sent word to the Keep," Sandra said. "When was the
last attack?"

"Just a day ago," Isaiah replied. "and this one was not that far from
the town. I don't need to tell you a lot of the families are starting to
worry about their children. Especially those who are prey species."

"I can understand that," Claire commented.

"Can we get a look at the site of the last attack?" Tony asked.

"Certainly," he replied. "First let me show you where you'll be staying
and I'll take you there."

By late morning the scouts, guided by the mayor, reached the place where
the last attack had occurred. The group from Metamor were all surprised
at how close to the cottage the animal had been killed.

"Have all the attacks been this close?" Sal asked.

"No, that's one of the things that had raised the alarm," the fox
answered. "Most have been on animals out in the fields but they seem to
be moving closer, following where the animals have been taken for safety."

"I can see why the parents are becoming more concerned," Claire said
looking at the blood still visible on the ground. "This was another calf
you said."

"Yes, as best we can tell it was dragged off into those woods," the
mayor confirmed.

"Then that's where we start," Tony said. "Sandra, see what you find from
the air. Sal, I think you're the best tracker so take point."

The group moved out across the pasture and into the woods. After only a
few minutes the trail went cold.

"Nothing," Sal growled looking about and sniffing the air. "It's like
he's vanished into thin air."

"Wait a minute," Claire cried out. "Didn't they say they found the first
cow in a tree?"

"Yes," Zane replied. "Do you think that's where it took the calf?"

"A calf would be a lot easier to move," she continued. "and if he took
to the trees we would lose his scent."

"Not entirely," Sal said now looking about and walking back to where he
had lost the trail. "it will still be there, just harder to find."

The cat looked around at the trees, then moving over to a large maple he
slid off his boots. Sinking his claws into the bark he began to hoist
himself up into the branches. Moments later he eased himself back to the
ground.

"That's the answer," he said sitting down and putting his boots back on.
"The carcass is about twenty feet up. And I'd guess he'll be coming back
for it from what's left."

"Sandra!" the bear bellowed into the trees.

Shortly a familiar black winged form made it's way through the branches.

"Did you find something?" she asked settling onto a branch near the ground.

"Yes, Sal says the carcass is in that tree," the bear said pointing.
"Would it be safe for you to perch in that tree and keep a watch on it?"

"I should be able to," she replied. "Let me take a look."

Darting up into the branches she quickly returned.

"Yes, there's a lot of good night roosts where I can watch from," she
reported. "What's the plan?"

"If you can keep a watch on the carcass then we can catch him when he
returns to feed," the bear explained.

"You're not thinking of doing this at night are you?" Zane asked,
concern plainly in his voice.

"No, but I'm guessing he'll return before sunset if he's coming back
today," the scout leader explained. "And if not Sandra can tell us where
he goes once he leaves the tree."

"I can't follow him in the dark," Sandra objected. "I'm a crow not an owl."

"You don't need to follow him," Sal said understanding what Tony was
asking. "Just let us know where he gets down so we can pick up the trail
from there."

"That I think I can do," she said. "Where will you be?"

"We'll move back to the clearing," Tony explained. "That should be far
enough away so he's comfortable returning to his kill."

"I take it this means a night in the field," Zane said distastefully.

"I thought you were a scout?" the bear replies smiling slightly.

"I am," the ox said. "but seeing we have a warm place to stay back at
the village I was hoping this would be one mission where I had a roof
over my head."

"Afraid not," the leader told him. "Sandra, keep an eye on the tree and
give the usual call if you see him. We'll take it from there."

The crow nodded and flew back into the tree. Once back in the field Tony
sent Sal back for the gear they'd needed to stay out for the night while
he and the others settled in. The rest of the day drifted by slowly and
uneventful. Then, as the sun drew low to the hills, the sound of
Sandra's caws rang through the woods. The scouts made their way toward
the tree as swiftly as they could without giving their presence away. A
short way from the tree they heard Sandra again. This time she indicated
that their quarry was on the move.

"Damn, he's picked up our scent," Sal said noting the wind direction.
"Now we've got a chase on our paws."

Reaching the tree they could see no sign of their crow companion but a
familiar caw drew them in the direction they knew they'd have to go. As
they ran through the wood, guided by Sandra's calls, they realized the
sun was fading. Tony had to make a choice and for him there was only one
that he could make.

"We turn back," he stated giving the visual signal to halt. "It's too
risky to follow him any further."

"I can go on," Sal said, not wanting to give up when they were so close.
"I do just fine in the woods at night."

"But who'd watch your back?" the bear asked. "None of us have your night
vision and I won't send a scout out by themselves after a wild animal."

"He's right Sal," Claire agreed. "We'll get another chance tomorrow.
Besides none of us thought this would be a one day mission."

Giving a bird call to Sandra to let her know they were turning back the
party returned to the village reckoning that the feline would not return
that night to its kill. When Sandra didn't return they were somewhat
concerned but reasoned that with the failing light she might have simply
found a safe perch to spend the night.

Before sunrise the next day the scouts were heading out to the woods
again. At first light the dark form of a crow headed for them out of the
trees.

"I found his lair," the winged scout shouted from overhead. "He's hold
up under a ledge near the foot of the mountains."

"About how far would you make it?" Tony asked.

"It will take you a good hour to get there," she replied circling, her
wing beats getting slower.

"What type of cat is he?" Sal inquired.

"He's not like anything I've seen in the valley before," she said
landing on one of the ox's long horns. "He's big. Nearly six foot not
counting the tail."

"I wish you wouldn't do that," Zane said glancing up at the crow now
perched on his horn.

"Well there's no place else to land and I can't keep flying forever,"
she shot back at the ox, a bit of an edge in her voice, before
continuing. "His fur is a kind of yellowish brown with black markings, a
kind of circular pattern to them."

The ox gave a snort as the crow's tail brushed by his ear.

"Can you fly back to keep an eye on him?" the scout leader asked before
the ox could resume the argument.

"Yes, it's the circling that is most tiring," she answered, glancing at
her living perch. "But how will you find it?"

"Give us a sun bearing on it," Tony told her. "When we're close enough
you can guide us in."

"Right, just follow my path for the bearing," she said leaping into the
air, her wingtip slapping the bovine's muzzle in the process.

Zane gave a loud snort and rubbed his muzzle while watching with the
other scouts. The crow soared off toward the woods and was soon only a
speck in the sky. As soon as she vanished from sight they took off at a
run in the direction she had indicated. Soon they were deeper into the
woods then ever before. The morning air was fresh and this time blowing
in their favor. Sal kept sampling the air in hopes he might catch the
scent of the big cat. After nearly an hour of travel they heard Sandra's
calls and slowed their pace. Using hand signals to communicate the
foursome approached the rocky ground near the foot of the mountains.

Suddenly Sal gave the hold signal and everyone froze in place. Gesturing
toward an outcropping on the stone face he signaled he had sight of
their prey. Tony signaled Claire to be ready and she nocked an arrow.
The others drew weapons and silently advanced.

Sandra had described the cat well. It looked like a large leopard but
its coat was a different shade then any had seen before. Also the shape
of spots created a kind of rosette pattern over its body. The cat seemed
relaxed and unaware of their approach.

Tony signaled to Sal and the feline keeper moved to get closer. Claire
moved closer to Zane where she would have a clearer shot while Sandra
watched from a nearby perch. The leopard lay unconcerned cleaning a
forepaw unaware of his danger. Sal was now within thirty paces of the
big cat and signaled Claire to join him. She shook her head knowing she
could not match the stealth of her cat companion.

Tony turned to Claire and gave the signal to take her shot. With a sigh
she raised her bow. It was such a beautiful creature but the danger it
posed to the villagers was too great. She would make this as swift and
painless as she could. Aiming carefully for the heart she drew back the
arrow.

"Cr-r-ruck," sounded a loud cry near the leopard. "Cruck, rawk, awk,
rawk, ruck."

The leopard leaped to its feet and started looking about. Sal saw a
glint of light from the cat's chest and strained his eyes to see what it
might be.

Claire adjusted her aim and timed her release with her breathing.

"No wait," Sal cried out but it was too late for the arrow was already
free of the bow. The shout however put the big cat into motion and it
lunged forward. With a growl it leaped from the ledge, landing a good
distance away. However as it landed its hind quarters seemed to give
out. There in its hip was the arrow the goat archer had released moments
before.

"Damn it Sal," the goat swore as she placed another arrow on the string.
"You made me miss."

Drawing back she took aim again only to reflexively duck as a black form
sailed straight at her face.

"Claire! What are you doing?" the goat archer screamed preparing to draw
again.

"That wasn't me," the crow replied watching the raven fly back in the
direction of the leopard.

"Hold your fire," Sal ordered. "Look at his neck."

"What?" she cried still taking aim.

"His neck, he's wearing a necklace," he shouted as the wounded cat ran
for the woods.

"By the Gods he's right," Zane said looking at the fleeing animal.

"Oh Eli, no!" Sal cried out, his gaze fixed on the animal as it
disappeared into the trees. "It's wearing a Yew."

"He's what?" Claire cried holding her fire.

"He has a Yew hanging around his neck," Tony explained having seen the
sacred symbol after Sal had pointed it out. "Sandra, keep him in sight!
A man's life may depend on you."

The crow launched herself from her perch and darted through the trees
behind the wounded creature.

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Claire asked still confused about
the meaning of the Yew. "Is he some kind of sacred animal to the Ecclesia?"

"No," Sal called out already moving to where the cat had vanished into
the woods. "He's most likely someone who just recently fell under the
curse. I don't know why but the counter curse hasn't taken hold on him."

"We've got to catch him," Zane replied following fast on Sal's tail. "I
know what that's like. We've got to get him back to the mages."

Stowing their weapons as they ran the scouts followed their winged
companion as best they could. Sal however pointed to another trail that
they could also follow for every few feet blood marked the ground.
Without a doubt the animal was gravely wounded. Before long the cries of
Sandra began to get louder indicating they were gaining on the cat. Then
they saw it. Near a large deadfall the cat had placed itself facing
outward, a snarl on its muzzle.

"Now what?" Claire asked eyeing the feline that still seemed to have a
lot of fight in him.

"We've got to capture him," Zane said walking nearer to the cornered
animal. "He doesn't know what he's doing.

Before anyone could say another word the raven they had seen earlier
dove past giving Sal a peck on the head as it did so.

"What the…" the cat cried out watching his attacker bank around for
another pass.

Again the black bird darted past them causing both Sal and Zane to duck.
A third time the winged attacker dove on the Keepers only to find
himself under attack as Sandra darted out from her tree and pecked at
his tail. With a squawk the raven retreated through the branches
allowing the crow to return to her perch.

"What was that all about?" Zane asked dodging a lunge by the big cat.

"I don't know," Tony replied watching the cornered feline closely. "but
we've got a bigger problem then a bird in front of us."

"We have to help him," Sal said moving to the opposite side from Zane.
"Zane, can you and Tony keep him occupied for a few minutes?"

"Maybe, why?" the ox asked with great concern.

"If I can get behind him," the smilodon replied kicking his boot free.
"maybe I can hold him long enough for you to tie him up."

"Have you lost your mind?" Claire cried out as the large keepers moved
in on the feral cat. "He'll tear you to shreds."

"Not if I'm on his back," the feline keeper replied flexing his claws.
"Just keep him from running off."

With that Sal made a break for the end of the deadfall and disappeared
behind it. Tony and Zane kept watch on the wounded cat as it snarled and
made threatening lunges at them. Its left hind quarter was covered with
blood and when it moved that leg seemed to lag behind.

As the big cat made one more lunge at the ox the saber-toothed keeper
appeared over the top of the deadfall. The massive tree placed him a
good six feet above and behind the cat. As the wounded animal made one
more lunge for the bear Sal unsheathed his claws and leaped on its back.
With a roar of pain and anger the cat spun about, the feline keeper
somehow maintaining his grip.

"Get his paws," Sal screamed as the cat spun and twisted beneath him.

"This is insane," the bear shouted as he charged in on the front of the
leopard.

"I totally agree," Zane said as he dashed in from the other side.

The bear reached out for one of the leopard's forepaws but quickly
pulled back as the cat's claws brushed his fur. The ox used the opening
to reach for the other paw but only received a set of claw marks for his
trouble.

"Why am I always first blood?" he moaned pulling back for a moment.

"Together," Sal shouted as he struggled to stay on the cat's back. "You
have to get them both together or he's going to get you with the other paw."

"Yeah, I noticed," Zane said watching Tony begin to move again. As the
bear grabbed for the right paw the ox took the left. Each of the keepers
locked onto the cat's limbs and tried to control them. For all their
size the bear and the ox found they could not completely restrain him.
Snapping his head around the leopard lunged out to bite Zane but the
keeper lowered his head and struck the cat with his horn.

"Careful!" Sal shouted as the tip passed within a whisker's length of
his own face.

"Tell him that!" the ox replied ready to block another attack.

With a snarl the leopard turned and bit down on Tony's arm causing the
bear to roar out in pain. Suddenly a piece of wood shattered on the
leopards head and he released his grip growling at his new assailant.

"Claire, no," Sal cried out. "Stay back."

But the goat keeper only took up a new piece of wood prepared to strike
again if needed.

"If you're going to do anything," Tony growled, blood beginning to stain
his shirt. "get something over those jaws."

Frantically she looked about for what she might use to subdue the cat's
mouth.

"Rope!" Zane yelled as his horn blocked the cat again. "Tie it like a
locking snare and slide it over his muzzle."

Dropping her pack she dug out some rope and began to fashion the
instrument. Meanwhile Sal was struggling to keep the cat pinned and
received a nip on the ear for his efforts. He attempted to grab the
scruff of the leopard's neck with his mouth only to find that his own
eight inch fangs prevented this.

"Blasted oversize teeth," he growled. Then he had an idea. Waiting for a
brief pause in the cat's attacks he brought his own head forward,
capturing the leopard's head between the saber-tooth's huge canines. The
cat abruptly raised its head striking Sal hard in the jaw. He could
start to taste blood in his mouth but pressed his head firmly down on
the leopard's skull. This gave the others a chance to spread the
forepaws, keeping them clear of the feline's lethal teeth. Using all his
strength Sal pushed the cat's head to the ground, working hard with his
legs to keep him from reaching forward with its hind paws.

"Claire, now!" Tony called out.

Leaping forward between the deadly paws the goat slid the rope over the
cat's muzzle and pulled. His mouth snapped shut and she quickly secured
some additional loops.

"Cut what's left off," Zane told her. "We'll use it to tie his legs."

Drawing her dagger she cut the extra rope free and was about to fasten
it to one of the legs when a set of claws raked over her arm.

"Claire!" Sandra cried as she watched from her perch.

"I'm fine," she said feeling the burning pain in her arm but not willing
to admit to her wound.

Sal too had been caught by the hind leg that had broken free of his own
claws and was bleeding from his side. Sinking his claws into the cat's
leg he once again gained control of them.

Claire meanwhile was tying one end of the rope to the leg held by Tony.
His left shirt sleeve was now crimson red with blood. Once secure the
bear and ox forced the big cat's legs together and they were bound fast.
Tony staggered back from the leg and slid his pack from his back.

"Claire, more rope," he gasped as he moved to the hindquarters of the
bound cat.

Zane met him there and together with Claire they bound the feline's
legs. Once they were clear Sal released his claws and sprung free of the
leopard who continued to thrash about for a few moments and then with a
moan dropped into silence.

For a long time the foursome lay there, each clutching their wounds and
catching their breath. It was Sandra who finally spurred them back into
action.

"Someone see to Tony," she called out seeing the bear struggling to
remain conscious.

Claire went to the bear and ripped open the shirt sleeve. The cat had
bit deeply into his arm and it was still bleeding freely. She finished
cutting free his sleeve and used it to put pressure on the wound.

"See to the others," he ordered her. "I'll be alright for now."

She turned about and tried to determine who was now in the most need of
care. Seeing her gaze Zane spoke.

"See to Sal," he said. "I can care for myself."

Moving to her exhausted feline friend she pulled his shirt out of his
breeches and saw four large tears in his side.

"It looks a lot worse then what it is," the saber-tooth said. "It's one
of the advantages of a feline body. You can get torn up but it's only at
skin level."

A look at Claire's arm however made him sit up.

"I don't think I can say the same for goats however," he said. "Sit down
and let me take a look."

As he said this Claire realized just how painful her arm was and obeyed
without question. Once he had exposed the wound they were both glad to
see that while it bled freely the cuts were not deep. Still it would
need a trip to the healers once she was back at the Keep. When Zane had
finished wrapping his arm he assisted Claire in bandaging Sal's wounds.
By this time Tony seemed to have improved though he had yet to move from
the place he was sitting.

"Let's see how our four legged friend is doing," Sal suggested. "I hope
we didn't go through all this just to bring back a corpse."

Moving to the cat's side Sal examined him closely. The leopard still lay
motionless where he had fallen and was breathing in deep pants. Claire's
arrow still protruded from his hip, the fur around it soaked and clotted
with blood. Taking out his knife Sal cut the shaft off and did what he
could to stop the bleeding.

"We've got to get him to a healer," the saber-toothed keeper said. "He's
lost a lot of blood and by the feel that arrow is into the bone."

"What about Tony?" Sandra called from her vantage point above. "He's in
no better shape."

"I'll be fine the bear said starting to get to his feet only to stagger
back to the ground.

"I don't think so," Zane said moving to his companion.

Looking about and sizing up the situation Sal knew what needed to be done.

"Sandra, fly to the village and get some help," he ordered taking
command of the team. "We'll make best time we can to the field."

"There's a trail just over there," the crow replied extending a wing.
"That will be easier travel and we can meet you on it."

"Agreed," the feline said. "Zane can you carry Tony?"

"All he needs to do is help me," Tony said rising to one knee.

"Either way I'll get him there," Zane said helping the bear to his feet.
"What about the leopard?"

"He's mine," the smilodon said kneeling and raising the cat to one shoulder.

"What about me?" Claire asked. "I'm not helpless."

"No you're certainly not," Sal said standing with the feline now across
both shoulders. "I need you to take our packs."

"I can carry one," Zane told him with a snort.

"Not with that arm you can't," the feline scout retorted. "Besides I
want your hand free to help Tony."

"Ready," Claire called out having already slung one pack across her
front and picking up the other.

"Head out then," Sal ordered moving in the direction Sandra had pointed.

Before long the group was on the trail and headed back to the village.
Within an hour the villagers met up with them. The shock of the live
leopard made several reluctant to assist until it was explained that he
was a cursed human. By mid afternoon all were back in the village and
under the care of a healer.

"Is there a mage that could reinforce the counter curse?" Tony asked as
one of the women dressed his wounds.

"I'm afraid we don't have a mage," the mayor said. "The nearest one is
in Iron Mine but I don't think they have the skill you're looking for."

Hearing this Zane made certain that the leopard's muzzle and bindings
were secure.

"With that arrow wound we've got to get him to the Keep anyway," Sal
commented, wincing as some fur was pulled from his wounded side. "I just
hope he lasts that long."

"It's too late to make it to the keep before they close the gates," Tony
explained. "The best we can do is set out at first light."

"Where's Sandra?" Zane asked looking about the room.

"She left for the Keep shortly after we got back," Claire answered. "She
should have reached there by now."

"I told her to bring news to them," Sal explained. "Seeing the state of
this fellow I wanted to make sure there was a mage and healer ready as
soon as we arrived."

"I'm afraid that all may be in vain," the village healer said as she
knelt by the leopard. "I can only slow the bleeding until the arrow is
removed but it's deep into the bone."

"It's the head I used," Claire explained sorrow evident in her words.
"It will continue to cut with the slightest movement."

"Why can't you remove the arrow?" Zane asked.

"I'm afraid the shaft will break or pull free," she replied. "I'm sure
there are healers at the Keep who could do so but it is beyond my skill."

"There is nothing that can be done Sylbar?" asked Isaiah.

"Only stay the bleeding as best I can," she said returning to that work.
With a knock the door slowly opened revealing one of the villagers.

"Your pardon but your companion said her business was urgent," the man
explained as Sandra and another avian Keeper hopped in.

"Sandra!" Claire cried out. "I thought you had gone to the Keep."

"I did," she replied exhaustion evident in her voice. "I got lucky and
was able to bring help."

"Where is the injured leopard?" the other avian demanded. "and who is
the healer tending to him."

"I am," Sylbar answered. "and the leopard is here before me."

"I am Burris," the woodpecker told her shifting as much as he could from
his avian form. "What is his condition?"

"He has a number of claw marks, but his most serious wound is an arrow
deep in his hip," she explained as Burris examined the patient. "I can't
stop the bleeding and it is deep in the bone."

For a long moment he examined both arrow and wound then spoke.

"Have you tried to remove the arrow?"

"Yes, but I'm afraid to put too much pressure on the shaft less it
break," Sylbar told him.

"What manner of arrow is it," he asked. "do you know?"

"It's a broad head," Claire said bringing forth another of her arrows to
show him.

Examining the projectile and running his beak over it he stepped back to
the leopard.

"I think I can solve that problem," he explained. "I need someone to
fetch me a freshly cut branch slightly larger around then the arrow's
shaft."

"I'll get one," Zane volunteered.

Moments later he returned carrying the requested piece of wood.

"Split it lengthwise," he ordered. "Sylbar, hold the two pieces about
the shaft."

Taking the split wood from Zane she obediently held them on each side of
the broken arrow's shaft. Touching the freshly cut wood he unfolded his
wings slightly and concentrated. All watched as the woodpecker stood
transfixed on the piece of wood, an occasional quiver of his wings the
only sign of movement. As the others watched the freshly cut branch
seemed to merge with the wood of the arrow and before long one could not
be discerned from the other. Stepping back he said.

"I need someone who has the strength to pull that free from the bone."

"I can do it," Sal answered stepping forward.

"Be careful Sal," Claire warned. "That tip will do a lot of damage on
the way out."

"Not with what I have done," Burris told them. "A slow clean pull would
be best however."

Nodding the long toothed cat knelt down and firmly grasped the shaft.
Spreading his other paw out to hold the hip he drew back on the arrow. A
small crack sounded and the big cat's paw pulled free, the shaft within it.

"Oh no," Sylbar cried while placing more cloths to stop the flow of
blood. "It's broken off within him. Now he is lost."

"Not at all," Burris said in a calm voice. "Look at the shaft."

All eyes turned to the length of wood Sal held in his paw. At the end of
the shaft where the head should be was a bulge of wood with a fraction
of an arrowhead poking out beyond it. It was as if the wood had grown to
cover all but the part lodged in the bone.

"But how?" Claire gasped blinking in disbelief.

"I am a wood mage as well as a healer," the avian replied. "I simply
encouraged the branch to grow about the shaft and tip so as to
strengthen it and prevent harm."

"Can you help him recover from his feral form?" Zane asked.

"No, that is beyond me." Burris told him. "but I can see to it that he
remains calm until we get him to the keep."

He then instructed Sylbar how to make a tonic that would keep the big
cat asleep. The avian healer then worked upon the hip himself until the
medicine was ready. Carefully they placed small spoonfuls of it in his
mouth allowing his reflexes to swallow it. Burris then moved to each of
the Keepers and added what he could to care for their wounds.

The next day the team of scouts made their way to the Keep, Sal and Zane
carrying the leopard on a litter Burris had helped fashion. Once there
the counter curse was reinforced and Pierga regained as much semblance
of his human form as the curse allowed. He was put in the charge of
healer Coe who directed his assistance to keep Pierga from waking for
several days.

End: The Spotting of a Knight

!DSPAM:4beb4c8e164801804284693!