[Mkguild] New Lessons to Learn and Old Ones to Teach: Part 3 of 3

Kamau jc2blion at taconic.net
Thu May 13 01:08:46 UTC 2010

New Lessons to Learn and Old Ones to Teach

By Kamau

Part 3
------
Only a couple days later both Alayna and Coe were satisfied that
Pierga's hip was healed sufficiently to leave. He asked Alayna to send
word to Sal and waited for the Smilodon to take him to his new lodging.
About mid morning a knock sounded on his door.

"Enter," Pierga called out.

"Morning neighbor," the Smilodon said as he entered. "Are you ready to
see your new home?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," he replied standing up and pulling his tunic
down.

"That's new isn't it," Sal questioned noting the jaguar's new clothing.

"Yes, the tailor delivered it yesterday," he explained. "but even with
the slit in the back it just doesn't feel right."

"I take it you tried breeches," the saber-tooth asked picking up some of
the saddlebags near the bed.

"Yes," he replied snatching the last bag Sal had yet to reach. "but the
way they rubbed the fur my legs felt like they were raw in just a few
days, especially around the tail."

"Hmm, and you're sure it wasn’t just you getting use to your fur," Sal
asked placing the saddlebags on his shoulders.

"I tried them a couple different times over the days I've been here,"
Pierga told him. "Each time the results were the same. The tunic seems
the best solution but I don't like the way it rides up all the time."

"Give it some time," the Smilodon counseled as he picked up Pierga's
chest. "After all you're still new to that form."

The spotted cat gave a nod and glanced around the room to see if he had
everything that was his. Satisfied he had left nothing behind he picked
up his staff and headed for the door.

"Say, are you sure you want to carry that?" Sal asked seeing the one
saddlebag over Pierga's shoulder.

"Sal you have more then enough to carry as it is," he replied. "I'm not
a total invalid. I can manage this just fine."

As the pair of cats reached the bottom of the stairs Alayna came out of
one of the rooms.

"I do hope you intended to say good bye before you left," she said
setting down the linins she was carrying.

"I had hoped to," he replied. "but I'm certain we will be seeing more of
each other in the days ahead."

"Well I certainly hope not as a patient," she answered, her lips
displaying a faint smile.

"Nor I," Pierga responded. "Though from what I saw the other day I may
be bringing some of my students for your care."

"Your students?" she questioned.

"Pierga is going to assist us in training some of the new recruits," Sal
told her. "DeMule was pleased that such an experienced fighter would be
lending a hand."

"What did you tell him?" the jaguar questioned, concern marking each word.

"Enough to impress him without using a certain title," the saber-tooth
replied. "

"And when am I to start?" Pierga asked, satisfied with the reply.

"As soon as you'd like," Sal told him. "But I told Jack that with your
wound it wouldn't be until next week."

"If the distance isn't too great of a walk I can start tomorrow," the
spotted cat said. "Eli knows those recruits have enough bad habits all
ready without wasting more time."

"Well then let me show you how far you'll have to walk," Sal replied
opening the door.

"Thank you for everything," Pierga said to Alayna as he moved toward the
door. "And pass on my thanks to healer Coe as well."

As the pair walked up the street Sal pointed out various shops and
landmarks. The last of these was an impressive gate that stood in their
path.

"That gate leads to the inner keep and the duke's palace," he told the
jaguar. "The Deaf Mule is also in there. It's the most popular pub in
all the Keep."

He had no more then finished his explanation then he turned down one of
the side streets. At the next crossroads they came to a large building
with a sign displaying two hearths on it. It was an impressive building
with the first story being made of stone masonry much like a tower would
be. The next two stories were timber and plaster with a slate shingled
roof atop it all.

Sal walked past the first door then opened the next and entered. Pierga
followed though he couldn't help but think this was not their final
destination. As he stepped inside he saw a large common room with
several tables scattered about. Straight ahead was a large bar with an
equally large hearth to the right with a set of stairs tucked into the
corner of the room. To the left, a short distance from the end of the
bar was a smaller hearth and beyond that a set of doors.

"This is the place," Sal said setting the chest down by the bar. "Jami
sets a fine board here every night so you don't even need to go out for
your meals."

The Smilodon had no more then gotten these words out of his mouth when a
large bearded man stepped out the door behind the bar.

"Sal," he said in a baritone voice. "I see you've brought your friend."

"Yes, this is the man I told you about," Sal answered. "I trust you
still have those rooms on the third floor."

"That I do," the innkeeper replied, a broad smile lifting his great
mustache. "If your friend would like we have an end room with hearth
that's available."

"Seeing you’re a cat from the south in the winter you may well want that
hearth," Sal commented to the jaguar.

"Does yours have a hearth," Pierga replied knowing a hearth would
certainly raise the cost of the room.

"No, but I do have a corner room," he replied knowing the cat's concern.
"With fur such as mine I don't need a hearth even in the winter."

"How much for the room you mentioned?" the spotted feline asked the
innkeeper.

"Fifteen golds a month for the one with the hearth," the man answered.
"I can have Darion show you the room first if you like."

"Yes, I'd like that," Pierga told him.

Turning to the door the man bellowed out in a loud voice the name he had
mentioned. Shortly a lad of perhaps fourteen years appeared through the
same door.

"How can I help you dear?" he asked causing Pierga's ears to swivel at
the form of address.

"This man needs to be shown the rooms we have available on the third
floor," he told the lad seeming to take no notice of being called dear.

"Certainly," the lad said cheerfully. "Just a moment and I'll take you
to them."

Pierga turned to Sal and asked quietly.

"Did the lad call Jami dear?"

"Jami is Darion's wife," the saber-tooth said smiling. "I know it's
still strange to you being so new here but there are a number of couples
in Metamor that are interesting pairs.

The jaguar could only shake his head in reply as the lad reappeared
carrying a ring of keys.

"This way," he called, his voice and youthful step never betraying that
he had once been a man.

Sal picked up Pierga's chest and the trio made their way out of the
common room and up a set of stairs at the end of the hall. As they
turned from the stairs on the third floor the feline could see more
clearly that this was only a central hallway and that four others sprang
from it. The lad turned left at the first pair they came to and walked
all the way to the end. The child quickly sorted through the keys and
unlocked the door.

"This is a very fine room," he announced pushing the door open and
stepping in. "You have both a hearth and a window that looks down the
street."

Stepping into the room Pierga immediately saw a small hearth tucked into
the corner of the room, a chair sitting not far from it. In the opposite
corner on that wall was a bed with a generously filled mattress and
pillow. There was a window in the wall that formed the other side of the
corner where the bed was set. In front of it sat a small table and
chair. Just to the side of the door was also a small but sturdy stand.

"This room will cost you fifteen golds a month," the young boy told
Pierga. "But I pledge to you that you will find no more secure a place
outside the duke's palace and none warmer in the winter."

The spotted cat did not doubt the security of the room as he had been
surprised that it had a lock. Not knowing the winters at the Keep he
could not judge the other but the hearth was certainly capable of
bringing some warmth to the chamber. Walking to the window he noted that
it gave a good view down the street.

"What other rooms do you have?" the jaguar asked trying to keep his
concern from showing but his untrained whiskers and tail clearly gave it
away.

"This way and I'll show you the other," Darion replied.

Walking down the hall a couple doors he opened another room of the same
size. This one had a window in the longer of the two walls that faced
the street. The furniture was much the same as the previous room but
there was no hearth.

"These rooms are ten gold, six silvers a month," the boy explained.

The big cat looked about the room and again examined the view from the
window. While not showing as much of the street it gave a commanding
view of any before the inn. He stood there for a moment looking back
toward the room he had just left and considered the difference between
the rooms.

"Pierga you don't need to be concerned about the cost," Sal counseled
him. "Even with what you will be paid now it won't cost you a full day's
wage more. Beside in a few weeks I'm sure you'll be making more than
enough to afford the room."

Pierga examined his fellow feline but could not read his expression as
he would a man's. Sal had been a good friend to him and they shared the
bond of both having been soldiers before the change. But trust was
something to be earned over time the former knight had learned long ago.
The saber-tooth was off to a good start but still was untested.

"Where do I come by wood for the hearth," the jaguar asked the boy.

"We sell bundles of it here for a reasonable price," the lad replied.
"or you can buy it at the market just down the way."

The yellow cat paused a moment more then declared.

"The room with the hearth will do nicely."

"Excellent," the child exclaimed as if he'd just won a game. "We can
return to the bar and settle accounts there."

"Why don't we set your belongings in your room first," Sal suggested.

Returning to the other room the two felines sat down their respective
loads and closed the door.

"You said you lived here," Pierga said as the boy locked the door and
headed down the hall. "Where is your room located?"

The saber-tooth broke into a broad smile and pointed across the hall.

"Opposite yours," he told his new neighbor. "Would you expect less from
a former commander then to have the best vantage point in this part of
the Keep?"

"Why do I feel there was a bit of trickery in suggesting this room?"
Pierga said mostly in jest.

"Trickery? Would I do that to a fellow feline and soldier" the long
toothed cat replied feigning offense. "It is a fine room and you'll
greatly appreciate the hearth in the winter. Beside you will have a
fellow warrior nearby to call upon whenever you need to speak about
those dreams."

"What dreams?" the jaguar asked certain he had not told Sal of his
nightmares.

"Those of the killing," Sal replied, voice filled with sad remembrance.
"filled with the screams of the dying and visions of cut and shattered
bodies."

The knight stood there slack jawed and staring at the big cat. Finally
he found his voice.

"Perhaps," he said quietly. "One day perhaps I will be able to do that,
but not now, not yet."

"When the time comes I'll be there," Sal told him, understanding ringing
in his words.

As they walked down the hall Pierga noticed a pair of heavy doors folded
back against the sides where it joined the other hallway.

"What are those for?" he questioned examining them more closely.

"When Darion had the inn built he made it to be more than a simple
lodging," the long toothed soldier explained. "Should the need arise it
can serve as a strong house as well."

The jaguar recalled the stone wall below and the heavy shutters that had
been on the windows. While not as strong as a tower or keep with those
closed it would be a difficult place to storm.

"The shutters on the second and third floors have arrow slots that can
be opened," Sal continued. "as there are to each side of every door
here. I would dare say that we could mount a sizeable defense here
should the Keep ever be attacked again."

"But why would one go to all that trouble when you could retreat to the
inner Keep?" the spotted cat asked as they walked up to the bar.

"You are new here so you would not understand," Jami's voice sounded
from the other side of the bar. "In Metamor every citizen is part of the
watch or the militia. When an enemy comes against us most are engaged in
the defense."

"That is how it was when Nasoj attacked us and cast the curse on the
Keep," Darion said picking up the theme. "Not all were able to retreat
within the inner Keep and a number of us were forced to fight openly in
the street as no house was strong enough to offer a good defense. Even
the stout wall of our inn provided only a meager bulwark against them."

"From what I see here," Pierga broke in. "I would have thought it a good
defensive position."

"Ah, but this was not our inn at that time," the child proprietor
explained. "It did not take even a half of the land I now hold. After
the battle and the curse I discovered one of the Lutin commanders I had
killed must have looted every body along his path for he carried a small
fortune upon him. I used that money to purchase this land and raise the
inn you now see. I vowed that it would be such that it could withstand a
siege and provide shelter for those nearby if needed."

"Darion and Jami have permission to keep a cash of arms in their
cellar," Sal added. "and could, if needed, provide a place of shelter
for at least a fortnight."

"With the stone walls, heavy plaster above and slate to the roof even
fire offers only a small threat," the lad said beaming with pride. "I
believe it would take a mage to breech our walls. But even there I have
certain provisions."

"So my new lodging is also a fortress," Pierga said glancing at Sal.
"And I'm certain no one was thinking of that when this inn was mentioned
as a possible place for me to stay."

Pierga would never have believed a creature with eight inch fangs could
look as innocent as the saber-tooth did at that moment.

"No matter," the jaguar said, reaching for his purse and turning back to
Darion. "It is fifteen gold for the month for my lodging here, correct?"

The lad nodded and the jaguar drew out six garrets and placed them on
the bar.

"I shall lay out two months for now," he told him. "If I am as
successful at my trade as my friend here expects me to be I shall renew
it next month."

"Now if you're not too tired," the Smilodon said. "I have one more place
I'd like to show you today."

"Lead on," Pierga replied. "I'll let you know when I'm tired."

"I doubt that," Sal said glancing at the knight. "but then I'd do the
same in your position."

Exiting the inn Sal took a different route, going up the other street to
where it met the wall to the inner keep. Turning back to his left they
started toward the main gate when he spotted a smaller door in the wall.
Opening it the Smilodon stepped through followed by the Jaguar. The pair
made their way down a vaulted corridor that ended at another door.

"Where are we?" Pierga asked glancing around somewhat uneasily.

"At our destination if I'm not mistaken," the long toothed cat replied.
"It would seem Kyia is taking a liking to you."

"Kyia?" the spotted feline questioned. "Who is that?"

"She is the spirit of the Keep," Sal told him.

"The Keep is haunted as well as cursed?" the former Yesbearn asked.

"No, more alive then haunted," Pierga's guide explained as he opened the
door. "Kyia is the Keep in many ways. It's a bit hard to explain but if
she likes you she will alter the path you need to travel to reach your
destination. It would appear she's saved us about five minutes of walking."

As Pierga walked in he saw a hall with a number of chairs set up in it
and a table at the far end. The table was set with items he knew well
from the days he spent with the Questioners. The candles, chalice,
paten, ciborium, cruets and books made it clear that Liturgy was about
to be said in this place.

"Where are we?" the spotted cat whispered to Sal as he watched more
people join the handful who were already seated.

"In one of the meeting halls," Sal replied gesturing toward a small
table with a bowl of water on it. "The Duke allows Fr. Hough to
celebrate Liturgy here whenever he is in the Keep."

The Smilodon dipped his paw in the water and, making the sign of the
Yew, blessed himself. Pierga reflexively started to do the same but then
halted.

"It's no different now then before," Sal told him seeing his hesitation.
"Our bodies may be different but we are the same before Eli's eyes."

Pierga nodded and slowly lowered his paw toward the water. After he had
blessed himself he followed his companion to some seats near the middle
of the assembly. Sal genuflected then moved into the row. The former
Yesbearn did the same, suppressing a growl of pain as his hip rebelled
at this exercise, then took his seat. Just a few minutes later Fr. Hough
stepped out and began the Liturgy.

The word and the actions brought great comfort to the transformed
knight. It had been many days since he had been able to join with other
followers in worship and it was like a drink of cold water to a thirsty
man. When it came time for the congregation to come forward to receive
the Eucharist Pierga could feel his stomach tighten. He had not thought
of this and was now in an awkward position. When his row rose to move
forward he knew he had to move for his large frame would not allow
others to step past him. Slowly he stepped into the aisle and looked
forward to where others were kneeling to receive the sacred bread. As he
moved nearer he could see the joy that beamed from the priest's face as
he gave each the wafer that for Followers was now the body of their Savior.

Reaching the front he turned to the side and walked past the last person
who had knelt, waiting for the priest to come and give them the sacred
food. For a moment the Jaguar stood at the place he should kneel to do
the same. His mind raced with all that had happen, with the sins he bore
and the message that his dreams spoke to him each night. He looked down
at the open space, the place he should take to receive this blessed
nourishment for his soul. Within him a battle raged but he knew it was
one he could not win. With a sigh he simply bowed his head and moved
back to the row where he waited for the others to return. Allowing the
child and a squirrel to enter the Jaguar took his place within the row
once again. Sal entered after him and after he had prayed looked at the
spotted cat.

Pierga's eyes dropped as he met the gaze of the Smilodon. He had no way
at that moment to answer the questions he knew raged in his fellow
felines mind. Shortly the service was ended and Fr. Hough made his way
to the door where he greeted each Keeper as they left.

"Why didn't you take the Eucharist?" Sal asked as they stood waiting to
leave.

"I can't," the former Yesbearn said softly.

"Do you need confession?" the saber-tooth pressed. "Fr. Hough can
certainly do that if you'd like."

"No," he replied, shaking his head slowly. "What prevents me is far more
then I can have forgiven here."

Sal's jaw went slack and he was at a loss for words. Just then they came
to the priest.

"Good day Sal," Fr. Hough said shaking the paw that dwarfed his own
hand. "I'm glad you were able to make it today."

"Whenever duty allows me Father," the long toothed feline told him with
a smile. "Thank you for the service."

"It is always my pleasure," the man responded then turned to Pierga.

"And I am pleased to see you made it as well," he said grasping the
cat's free paw. "I'm so glad you're on your feet and able to travel
about the Keep."

"Yes Father," the former knight said lowly. "Sal has been kind enough to
show me about today."

"Sal is a good person to be with," the priest told him. "You couldn't
find anyone better to be your guide. I do hope I will see the two of you
again tomorrow."

"You'll be having Liturgy again tomorrow Father?" Sal asked.

"Yes, I can spare one more day in the Keep before returning south," Fr.
Hough explained. "And Pierga, do remember the offer I made when I
visited you. Any time I am here in the Keep feel free to come to me."

"Thank you Father," the Jaguar replied. "In time perhaps I shall."

The pair of felines walked out the door and into an entirely different
part of the Keep that Pierga had never seen.

"Why did you do that?" Pierga growled with his tail lashing behind him.

"Do what?" the Smilodon asked.

"Trick me into going to Liturgy," he told him, his claws exposed and
digging into the wood of his staff.

"I thought you would like to receive the Eucharist," Sal answered his
face showing his bewilderment at Pierga's question. "As a Follower I
thought you would like to do that and offer thanks for what has happen
to you."

"Offer thanks!" the big cat snarled, a rumble in his voice. "For what?
For becoming this monster? For losing my humanity? For being damned to
live as this mix of beast and man?"

Sal's ears and whiskers showed his shock at this reply. Still he
understood the feelings that were boiling up within the transformed man.

"Thanks for Eli preserving you," the feline said in a calm soothing
voice. "For his granting that you would live and find others who know
the same pain that you now face."

"Pain! What do you know of my pain?" the Jaguar yelled back, his muzzle
pulled back into a snarl that revealed his own fangs. "How can you know
my pain? How can you stand there and say I should be thankful for this?"

"I told you the other day I understand," Sal replied, no longer holding
to the calm he first had. "More then any other here I can share that
with you."

"Perhaps," Pierga snapped. "But that did not give you the right to do this."

"To do what?" the long toothed cat said now coming muzzle to muzzle with
the Jaguar. "To allow you to come to a place where you could begin to
heal more then your body. To allow you to come before your God and ask
for his help? Pierga you know all to well what happens in battle when a
man is wounded. He can either suck up the pain and fight on or he can
give into it. If he fights on he is likely to save himself and others.
If he gives in, focusing only on himself, his pain, his weakness, he is
very likely to fall and perhaps take others with him. Now it is your
time to choose. Will you fight this wound you have taken or will you
like some raw recruit fold under it and allow it to take what you have
left away?"

The Jaguar's body tensed as if he were ready to spring but Sal did not
back down.

"It is your choice Pierga. If you are the man your title says you are
show it to me. Show me the nobility that comes with that office and the
steel of the warrior within you. Prove to me that Eli did well in
placing you in that body rather then some mouse or rabbit that would run
and hide at the first sign of danger or discomfort."

For a moment longer the big cat continued to stare into the eyes of the
Smilodon with great defiance. Then as snow falls from a roof as it is
warmed by the sun his entire countenance shifted and his body softened.
Sal placed a paw on his shoulder and he looked up at his long toothed
friend.

"I am sorry," he said lowly. "I was wrong to accuse you like that."

"No, you were just letting out what each of us has felt at times," Sal
told him. "It has to come out sooner or later."

"But I had no right to unleash it on you," he apologized to Sal. "Of
anyone you've done the most to help me in the last few days."

"Compared to some you didn't do that bad," the Smilodon replied with a
bit of a grin. "There are a few trees out in the forest here that will
never be the same after I got some of those feelings out of my system.
I'm just glad you didn't do the same to me. I've already got enough
scars from you after our first fight."

"First fight?" the Jaguar asked unaware of having fought Sal before.

"Yes, when we captured you," he explained. "But then again you got a few
from me as well."

Pierga shook his head then looked back at the saber-tooth.

"We really need to sit down and go over that week sometime," He told
him. "Right now I think I could go for some food however."

"We can do a bit of both at the same time," Sal said turning to leave.
"Why not go back to the inn for our noon meats?"

"Where are we anyway?" he asked trying to get his bearings. "This isn't
the way we came in."

"No it's not," Sal told him. "This is how we would have come had we not
been aided by Kyia. I'll show you the way back."

Together the two felines returned to the inn where they continued to
speak about the curse and all that Pierga would likely have to endure in
the days ahead. Following the meal Sal excused himself saying he still
had some work to be done that day. Pierga returned to his room and began
to unpack his belongings. As he placed some books on the table he gazed
out the window much as he had while at healer Coe's. If it were not for
the many furred forms and children walking about the streets this could
have been any fine city in the North Midlands. Looking to the west and
the market place he thought about the recruits he would have to train.
If they were willing he was sure he could make some manner of soldier
out of them though he doubted they would enjoy the process.

Sitting down he began to jot down what he would have them do. Proper
carrying of the weapons, holding the weapons, attacks and parries,
distance, size up and of course proper care of their weapons. As he
reflected on those he had seen he also added some physical training as
he was sure some there would tire within a few minutes of battle. He
made a mental note to speak to this DeMule fellow to see what had been
done in the past.

Setting his quill aside Pierga sat back, momentarily pinching his tail
as he did so.

"So much to learn," he mused thinking both of his students and himself.
"How long will it be before we are tested? Well by Eli, I shall not fail
them."

Then his eyes fell on the copy of The Canticles that Sal had brought
with his other possessions from the keep. Opening the sacred book up he
thumbed through the pages until his eye came to rest on a given passage.

"Eli is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but
with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able
to bear it."

For a long moment Pierga just sat there as the words resonated within
him. He had been given a great trial, several in fact. But if Eli was
true to his word, which the knight never doubted even in his darkest
hour, he would also provide him with a means of overcoming that trial.

Setting the book down he looked out the window once again.

"Somewhere out there is the answer," he said giving voice to his
feeling. "All I have to do is find it."

With that he bowed his head and prayed for the wisdom and the strength
he would need to face the days ahead and find whatever answer Eli had
place before him.

End of New Lessons to Learn and Old Ones to Teach

!DSPAM:4beb5121167571804284693!