[Mkguild] FW: [TSA] About those missing eMail messages ... Full Explanation

Christian Okane chrisokane at verizon.net
Sat Nov 27 17:52:58 UTC 2010

More information!

Very annoying

Chris
The (annoyed) Lurking Fox

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin G. Diehl [mailto:mdiehl at nac.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 9:37 AM
To: Justin Semmel; Monsyne Dragon
Cc: TSA Talk; jdsbuck at pacbell.net; chrisokane at verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TSA] About those missing eMail messages ... Full Explanation

Justin Semmel wrote:

> Hi Everyfur!
>
> When I was working at an ISP, a regular call that we would get was that
> a server or servers would be listed by a blacklist, ie, not you, but
> your ISP, or your business, or your school, gets blacklisted.  When this
> occurs, a server using the blacklist will send a bounce email back.  In
> that case, without you even knowing it, you can stop getting emails.

That's it! THANKS!

integral.org is blacklisted on 2 blacklists ...

1. http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml

2. http://www.spamhaus.org/

> I'll try to remember the names of some of these blacklist services, but
> sadly, it's been a few years.  Remember, these services are public
> domain, and are subscribed to voluntarily by organisations to reduce
> spam and crap coming your way.  eg, if someone's mailserver starts
> pumping out thousands of emails per hour, POP servers go down, etc. so
> there is a reason for this stuff to be there.

Not to worry ...

My Good Buddy Google suggested that I check MXToolBox.com at
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx
to discover if integral.org is on any blacklists.

You can try the same inquiry,
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3aintegral.org

> Hey, could a sysadmin send test messages these guys' way, so we can see
> the bounce message?  Then again, you're probably already on to this.

Additional information ...

1. A SORBS inquity provided this response ...

Summary information for 174.143.56.0/24
Found 2 network entries and 0 host/domain entries.

Problem Entries, (listings will cause email problems.)
2 "Spam" entries [Latest: 21:20:27 30 Aug 2010 GMT+10].
Note: For a more detailed view you have to be registered and logged in.

2. A SPAMhaus inquiry provided this response ...

174.143.56.0/24 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

----

Outbound Email Policy of Rackspace US, Inc. for this IP range:

Please review the Rackspace AUP before requesting removal of your IP
address.

3. BTW, while trying to register with SORBS in order to see more
detailed information on the blacklist of integra.org, IE warned
me that ...

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not
issued by a trusted certificate authority.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool
you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to
this website.

This happend because SORBS uses a "self Signed Certificate"
to "... keep the costs down ..."

SORBS SSL Certificates FAQ,
https://www.secure.sorbs.net/?action=Register

Bottom line: SORBS wants us to play by their rules while they
don't try to play by other's rules.

This looks like a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.

--
Martin G. Diehl

Visit my online gallery at Renderosity [3D Artist's Community]
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=MGD

So much wisdom and knowledge, but so little time and bandwidth
--MGD

!DSPAM:4cf1458143381804284693!