[Mkguild] Healing Wounds in Arabarb (1 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Thu Apr 7 09:18:22 UTC 2011

This story begins in January, but most of the
action will take place in April of 708 CR.  This
is not technically the next story in my arc, but
it's the one my muse wants me to finish first.

I am not yet finished writing the tale, so I'm
going to post it in smaller sections for now, one a day.

Healing Wounds in Arabarb
By Charles Matthias

January 18, 708 CR

Ice clung to the granite rocks abutting the mouth
of the Metamor river as well as the many shoals
rising above the waves to greet the fresh
mountain waters flowing from the cursed valley. A
wintry mist sloughed the Sea of Stars and the
small rocky islands whose backsides were covered
in so many pine, larch, spruce, and fir that they
resembled porcupines nudging their snouts into
the ground for roots and acorns to eat. Flocks of
gull, tern, cormorant, and puffins gathered on
the rocky coastline, most to the west of the
river mouth where the forbidding slopes of the
Dragon mountains reached into the brackish waters
with broad defiles in cascades of granite and basalt.

Around the mouth of the river was a small village
cloaked in snow. Ancient stone wharves jutted
into the sea but it was only the newer barnacle
covered wooden docks that were in use. Fishermen
in seal-skin coats tended flat-bottom boats and
wooden cages. In brass basins fires burned to
ward off the chill and to cook the crustaceans
their traps had captured. Not a single ship
moored in this little village could have carried
more than six men, nor were any suited to the
ravages of the ocean and her many storms. But
only they could navigate the rocky shallows at
the river mouth and the waters nearby.

To the east of the river was a rocky promontory
that dropped to a shelf of granite rising above
the crash of waves on which rose a lighthouse.
The spire had flat sides whose corners marked the
compass, while the northeastern edge had a small
bridge to the promontory about twenty feet high.
At the base a sea door led to a house of stone
with lanterns burning brightly and smoke curling
from a chimney. Another smaller pier housed a boat crusted with ice.

At the top of the lighthouse was a cupola freshly
brushed clean of snow, and the bright brazier and
ancient lens that magnified the light. It was
strong enough to pierce the light fog and be seen
for many miles. All sailors knew to turn
southeast when they saw this light for the safe
harbor of Menth. There was no safe passage here.

Descending from the sky was a single gull. His
gray wings and white body were almost lost in the
fog, but as it emerged, the yellow bill and
webbed feet made it impossible to miss. A slight
updraft from the cool waters turned its wings
back as it slowed, banking from side to side for
a few minutes before it finally came to rest on
the lip of the lighthouse cupola. Focused yellow
eyes regarded the bearded lighthouse keeper who
was busy prying the meat from a lobster claw.

The man glanced up from his meal and chuckled,
“Good afternoon, Quoddy. You’re a little late
this year. I expected you and your brothers a few hours ago.”

The gull tensed his body, black tail tip wiggling
in the air, and then he hopped down to the floor
of the lighthouse and shook his feathers out. His
body grew larger in seconds until he was nearly
the size of the man. He crouched on his legs and
sat much like a bird, claws at his wing tips
scratching at his breast. “There was a squall
near Brathas I had to sit out. I guess my
brothers did too. How has the winter been so far, Davitt?”

The lighthouse keeper shrugged and chewed a bit
of meat. “About the same as last year. One wreck
and lots of snow and ice. Mild today, praise Eli. How was your flight?”

“Exhilarating!” Quoddy replied with a caw. His
eyes brightened, the usual intensity of his
species muted by his excitement. “Almost none of
the flocks wanted to go as far south as Whales
this year. They stopped just south of
Sutthaivasse; Lubec and I went a little further,
but there was a terrible scent in the air so we
turned back. We heard talk of war from the
fishermen and I believe it. Sutthaivasse was
massing her fleets. We’d never seen so many ships
in her ports at once! Ah, what a sight!”

Davitt laughed as he chewed more lobster meat.
The crustacean’s claws had been ripped off and
now he bent the animal in half until the tail
section came free. This he bent in half again
until the meat was exposed. “There’s always war
somewhere,” he mused, eyes turned to both sky and
the beacon. “At least it isn’t here.”

“Praise Eli!” Quoddy agreed with a nod of his
head. “I’m still ashamed that I missed what came
to pass last year at Metamor. But,” he turned his
head and glanced over the cupola’s rim at the fog
shrouded sea, “I just can’t stay away from the sea. Oh, I think I see Machias.”

Davitt turned to the west and sure enough a flock
of puffins skimmed the air. One broke off and
turned to the lighthouse while the rest settled
on a rocky shoal rising up from the waves. Black
wings steadied him, while his orange, webbed feet
extended to meet the lighthouse. Both bird and
man watched as the wings flapped vigorously
several times before the second bird had managed
a landing on the lighthouse. He hopped down with
the same acuity and then enlarged into a half-man
shape. His orange and black beak opened and his
dark eyes widened amidst his white cheeks at the
sight and smell of the freshly boiled lobster.

The puffin practically drove his head into the
crustacean. “Oh, Davitt! I haven’t had a cooked meal in a week.”

The lighthouse keeper drew his meal back and then
laughed. “I’ve another two in the tank
downstairs. I was going to cook them up once your brother arrives.”

“And a hail and well met to you too, little
brother,” Quoddy said with a mock sternness that only older brothers can use.

Machias the puffin blinked and then his beak and
bright cheeks framed a smile. “Quoddy! And here I
thought for sure I was going to be the first to arrive after that squall.”

“Almost, I’ve only been here a few minutes.”

The brothers gave each other a quick hug and
touched beaks together. “So, how were the nesting
grounds in Sathmore?” Quoddy asked.

Machias shrugged. “Same as last year. A lot of
territorial puffins, some seals, and great views
of whales out at sea. The fishermen and some of
the Sathmore merchants had lots of gossip to
share. Nothing too interesting though. The Empire
still thinks its an empire.” He chirped a laugh
and then shook his head. “I did hear that the
leper colony on the north shore is almost
evacuated. Somebody told them they could get
cured by going to Metamor. Imagine that!”

Quoddy nodded. “I heard that too. I didn’t have
time to check and see if it was true.”

“It’s true,” Davitt added with a wary glance to
the north. Even on a clear day the valley mouth
and the edge of the curse’s transformative touch
were lost behind thick forest and low mountains.
“Quite a few came up the coast from Menth and
walked north along the river bank. All cloaked in
rags so that not a single bit of flesh was
visible. Nobody wanted to go near them.”

“Did Metamor heal them?” Machias asked eagerly.
His youthful enthusiasm was impossible to hide as
he hopped back and forth from one webbed foot to the other.

“Oh aye,” Davitt nodded, scooping the tail meat
free at last. “Or so the Fish say.”

The Fish were a dozen or so aquatic Keepers who
plied the waters of the Metamor river nearly all
year long. Quoddy knew most of them and could
honestly say they were some of the nicest fellows
he’d ever met. They had to be to keep their
spirits in so trying of circumstances. Metamor
demanded great sacrifices from them all. The
lepers would soon learn they had traded one trial
for another ­ one that hopefully wouldn’t be as fatal or foul!

“So we’re just waiting for Lubec,” Machias
surmised after a moment’s pause. “I thought he was with you.”

“We were, but you know Lubec. He had to go
fishing.” Both birds laughed, a raucous cawing
that almost certainly made any visitors to the
lighthouse very curious. Davitt who’d known them
ever since they’d started flying across the sea laughed with them.

While they waited for their brother to arrive,
Quoddy and Machias traded stories of their flight
the last few months down the coastlines and back.
Davitt filled them in on what news he’d heard
from the Midlands in their absence. Almost all of
the news was of dark deeds and wars.

Machias ruffled his feathers at each new horror.
Quoddy understood his younger brother’s fears
only too well; the puffin had only just turned
thirteen at Three Gates. Quoddy had been sixteen
and had been given two year’s of training with a
sword and shield prior to that awful day, and
Lubec had just started his training. But their
youngest brother had none when Nasoj’s armies
crushed Euper and stormed Keeptowne, driving as
far as the gates where the last defence was mounted.

All were called to fight to defend Metamor that
day. Machias had a sword too heavy for him placed
in his hands. Somewhere along the walls their
father was lost amongst the defenders. Their
mother tended the wounded and dead behind them.
Machias, frightened and young, stayed close to
his older brothers that day. When the Curses were
cast, all three were clustered together behind
the second gate swords in hand. They had never been able to lift a sword since.

Their father was killed in the fighting even
before the curses were cast, and a Lutin arrow
dipped in refuse festered in their mother’s thigh
for two weeks before she succumbed. So many dead
and dying in the aftermath that not all could be
healed in time. Orphaned, the three sea birds
took to the sky and followed the sea seeking
solace in its salty, turbulent embrace.

But Quoddy could see the tremble in his brother’s
many black and white feathers and knew that this
scar still lingered. A few years ago he’d have
wrapped a wing around his back. But now they had to be men as well as brothers.

Davitt gestured to the sky as he licked the
fingers of his other hand clean. “Looks...
shlurp... like Lubec... shupp... is here.”

Both Quoddy and Machias stood up to peer over the
rim of the lighthouse cupola. Descending from the
clouds was a black bird with long wings, webbed
feet, and black beak brightening to gold just
beneath his eyes. He banked around the lighthouse
in a long arc before settling on the other end.
He kept his wings stretched out and waddled into
the inner chamber with Davitt, waving his wings
back and forth near the fiery brand.

Machias laughed brightly at seeing his brother
the cormorant trying to dry himself. “Why do you
always go fishing, brother? You know you just have to dry yourself off!”

Lubec grew enough in size as he stood with wings
outstretched so that he looked like a gigantic
bat. His voice was raspy and a bit curt. “I like
fish! And don’t you rub it in! Your feathers don’t get wet like mine.”

Davitt chuckled and turned to the staircase down
inside the lighthouse column. “I’ll get those
lobsters boiling. You boys watch the seas for me would you?”

“Hail, Master Davitt,” Lubec said with a bow of
his black head. “How is your family?”

The lighthouse keeper paused and ran one hand
through his scraggly beard. “Little Mary’s in bed
with the cold, but she’s already doing better. My
boys are begging me to let them watch the light
by themselves. And Louie is begging me to go into
town and buy her another bear skin blanket.
They’re good.” He frowned at himself for saying
so much and then disappeared below.

Quoddy shook his head and let his chest swell
with the crisp sea air. “Was the fish good?”

Lubec stretched his wings forward, the feathers
beginning to dry in the warmth of the lighthouse
brand. He cawed and waggled his tail feathers.
“Always. It would’ve been better cooked though.
We need to stash some cooking gear along the coast one of these years.”

“And let the seas corrode it away?” Machias asked
as he shook a bit of ice from one of his orange
webbed feet. “That doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.”

“We could stay in Metamor too,” Lubec retorted. “I’d love to see you try.”

Machias lowered his beak with eyes narrowed in
consternation, which was the best frown any of
them could manage. “We stay there for the Summer.”

“And every fall head south along the sea again,”
Lubec shot in. “I’m surprised more of the birds don’t do that.”

“Maybe it isn’t that we’re birds,” Quoddy
suggested, offering a thought that had been
pecking at his mind ever since they’d taken wing
last September. “Maybe it’s just us. What do we have to hold us to Metamor?”

“Now you’re starting to sound like Emily,”
Machias chortled. Lubec nodded and then turned
around to put his back to the light. “Next you’ll
be telling us we should find mates and make nests.”

“I wouldn’t mind flying south with a lady Keeper
cormorant,” Lubec mused through half-closed beak.

“Nor I a lady gull,” Quoddy admitted. “We aren’t boys anymore.”

Machias folded his wings along his back, dark
eyes growing shadowed in his white-feathered
face. “We aren’t men either,” he grumbled while
scuffing his webbed feet on the lighthouse floor.

“Yes we are,” Quoddy replied with sudden force.
“Maybe not like Davitt, but we are men. We’re just birds too.”

“Sea birds,” Lubec added. “And I think that’s why
we keep doing this. I know... it’s why I do. I
just... I just cannot live without the sea air.
Metamor is always home, and has such memories for
me... but the sea...” The cormorant’s beak turned
to the grey, overcast sky and his eyes filled with leagues of rippling waves.

The gull and puffin also turned their beaks, each
of them staring into the sky, nostrils drinking
in the sea salt air, and their wings stretched of
their own accord. Beyond the lighthouse cupola
lay the bay shrouded in fog, little fishermen out
plying their trade, rocks rising and standing
against the endless onslaught of the waves. And
beyond them a vast and limitless sea, wave and
wave, squall after squall, and vista curving away
with a horizon meeting the sky in a nuptial kiss.
Their hearts beat with the waves.

“Oh,” Quoddy said, turning his long beak away
from the sea and giving his wings and feathers a
shake. “We just got back. The sea will wait for
another season. We have to go back to Metamor. You know that.”

Machias lowered his orange and black beak and
then nodded. “Aye, I’m sorry, brother.” He lifted
his face and met the gull’s concerned stare with
one of anxious hope. “I just don’t want anything
to change. I like the way things are!”

“I do too,” Quoddy admitted with a little bob of
his head. Lubec nodded too. “But things are going
to change whether we like it or not. And almost
certainly when we don’t want them too.”

Lubec turned his head at the ladder and then
cawed, “I think I hear Davitt coming back. We can
worry about this another time.”

The three brothers agreed quickly, and when the
lighthouse keeper returned with news that their
lobsters were boiling away, they were their usual
cheerful and playful selves again.

!DSPAM:4d9d816e83281345131859!