[Mkguild] Hough's Secret (1/3)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Dec 4 14:24:48 UTC 2011

Although in three parts, this one is still pretty
short.  I want to thank Christof and Raven for giving it beta reads.

---------

Metamor Keep: Hough's Secret
by Charles Matthias

March 25, 708 CR

The morning dawned with a heavy layer of fog
coating the southern half of the valley up to the
walls of Metamor Keep herself, but by midmorning,
except for a few secluded woodland dells, the
Spring-time sun had burned it away leaving a a
pleasant aroma to the air of all the wildflowers
and blossoms now coming into bloom everywhere.
Heavy clouds settled over the Dragon Mountains
suggesting that rain and strong winds were in
their future, but they would come in the evening
if at all. Nothing could damped the spirits of
Keepers freed from the grip of the plague.

Although the appearance of a Metamorian garbed in
black robe with the red cross of the Questioners
on his chest certainly annoyed most who saw him.

Father Felsah paid scant attention to the ugly
looks he received as he walked down the streets
of Metamor, prayer book in hand and new lips and
tongue murmuring the ancient and ever renewing
prayers for the midday hours, while at his side
trotted the golden-furred dog Rakka. He was long
used to receiving such cold welcomes; he only
hoped in time that his service to these people
would soften their hearts to the red cross. In
the nearly four weeks he had been in the Valley
now everywhere he had gone he'd been treated with
a mixture of trepidation, indifference,
curiosity, and outright scorn. A few, such as
Sister Sho Rosewain of Jetta, had been grateful
for his efforts and looked to him as a priest and
not a tyrant's hand. But most could not see past
the fears and ill-wind the red cross had sown in
years past. Only time, charity, and grace could heal those wounds.

He had not ventured through Metamor since Bishop
Tyrion had appointed him to the valley, partly
because of the plague that had gripped the city,
but mostly because he had spent the last three
weeks walking on foot through the southern towns
and villages, speaking with all the Followers he
could find to learn of their needs and to judge
the state of their spiritual lives. There were
more Followers to the north of Metamor and he
would soon walk amongst them and learn what he
could. Only then would he be able to make an
appropriate recommendation to the Bishop on how
best to proceed in strengthening the faith and
fidelity of this remote but stalwart people.

But for now, he looked forward to a few days of
rest and perhaps a bit of relaxation if Madog
were about. The mere thought of the metal fox
brought a smile to his altered face as he
continued his prayers. Still smiling, something
that came so much easier to him now, he focused
his thoughts anew on the prayers, singing Eli's
praises for the world and its many wonders,
recognizing in the beauty each thing possessed
the glory and might of their creator. Even the
variety of the shapes of those living in the
Valley, which he now shared in, came about by
what they spoke of as a Curse, but what he could
see as both blessing and burden. How challenging
it would be as he discovered all of the burdens
his new form gave him, but also the multitude of blessings hidden within.

One of which alerted him to the mocking, foul
laughter surrounding him. Rakka growled as Felsah
looked up from his prayer book at a quartet of
men, one of them human in mid-thirties, the
others animals. He recognized a leopard, some
form of cattle, and a round-eared canine with
stocky snout. The bull had his arms crossed over
his swollen chest, wide nose twitching as he stared down at Felsah.

“Well, well, well, looks like the Questioner got
cut down to size. Who's going to keep you safe
now, priest?” The bull dragged his hoof across
the stone road as if he were going to charge. The
dog wagged a short tail as he barked a laugh,
while the leopard stretched his claws and the human cracked his knuckles.

Rakka continued to growl, lowering into a
defensive crouch. Felsah noted each of his
assailants without rancor or fear, merely sighing
in dismay. “Yahshua has already promised to
protect those who love Him and do His will.” He
folded the prayer book, leaving one finger at his
page so he could return to it later. “Is there
anything I can help you with, good sirs? I'm
afraid I am new to Metamor but I will do what I can.”

The human smirked. “You could hold still.”

Rakka's growl deepened. Felsah put one hand on
the golden-furred dog's back, but this did little
to still the animal's anxiety. The four men
surrounding him laughed all the more. Beyond them
several others traversing the streets of Metamor
had stopped to watch the commotion. “I do not
wish to see any of you in trouble with Metamor's
Watch. Nor should you imperil your souls on account of me.”

“Oh we're not going to hurt you,” the bull said,
while his friends laughed and moved nearer.
“We're just going to make sure that you can't hurt any Keepers, Questioner!”

The ever-present anxiety the Curse had given him
warred with his Questioner-imbued command of
self. After a sharp intake of breath he quelled
his new instincts and brought the stolid mask
across his new face. “I will not, and have never,
brought any Keeper to harm. Tell me, you who
believe otherwise, what of you? Are you Follower? Pagan? Or heretic?”

The leopard growled. “We follow the Canticles,
not some old man in a far away land!”

“Heretics then,” Felsah said with a heavy sigh.
“My concern is with the Followers here at
Metamor, not any of your kind. You have nothing to fear from me.”

“Yeah, you blackies are all liars!” The man said
as they all took a step closer.

“All of you!” the bull joined in, stomping one
hoof after the other as he lumbered near.

Rakka snapped as they tried to get in closer,
while Felsah did his best to steel himself
against whatever these four wished to do to him.
But even though these four gazed down at him with
a fiery hunger, something approached from behind
them and to Felsah's right that cast a shadow
over all of them. Heavy footfalls made the stone
throb beneath his sensitive feet. And then large
mottled green and brown hands grabbed the canine
and the leopard and yanked them off their feet.

All eyes turned toward the Keeper who stood
another two heads higher than any of them, his
head crowned with a wide fan and fixed with three
long horns. His face ended in a gray beak which
opened with a heavy rumbling like a mill grinding
wheat to flour. “You heard Father, you have
nothing to fear from him. But you do from me if
you don't leave him alone! No matter how big you
are, no matter how strong you think you are,
there is always, always, someone out there who is stronger or bigger yet!”

The bull and man stared wide eyed as their
friends struggled in the monstrous Keeper's grip.
Rakka stopped growling and began to whine
uncertainly, but Felsah kept his hand firmly
pressed against the dog's back even as he
struggled to keep still. “His kind have murdered
our ancestors!” the bull snapped after falling
back a few paces. He stood a little taller,
sneering at the scaled man holding his friends. “He doesn't belong here!”

“And the Watch will throw you all in the dungeon
for attacking a priest,” he said in a deep basso
that echoed from his large chest and seemed to
make the air thicker as it passed. He gave both
dog and cat a firm shake and then tossed them to
the ground on either side. “Now run. Or I'll make sure you can't.”

The dog looked ready to reach for his dagger, but
his eyes noted the tree trunk thick legs and tail
with which the Curse had gifted this Keeper and
thought better of it. The bull snorted, gave
Felsah one last evil look, and then the four of
them scattered back into the crowd. The people
watching parted to let them through, noted who it
was they'd tried to assault, and then went back
to their business selling, trading, and gossiping.

Felsah looked up at his rescuer, and continued
looking up. He couldn't judge heights as well now
that the Curse had changed him, but he figured
this scaled creature had to stand at least
twenty-four hands high. He couldn't fathom how
many stone he weighed; probably more than two
destriers together! Still, he did his best to
smile as he spoke. “Thank you, good sir.” He made
the sign of the yew and said, “May Yahshua bless
you for your kindness. I am in your debt.”

The man's booming voice seemed hesitant, almost
nervous. “You owe me nothing, Father. I am glad I
was here to stop them. I had never thought to see
a Questioner here, not after what I'd heard from the other Keepers.”

“I had not thought to come stay here either, but
that appears to be Eli's will. I am Father Felsah. Who might you be?”

The three-horned creature lowered to one knee,
his long, thick tail stretching out behind him.
“Zachary... formerly of Bradanes.”

Felsah's lips twitched at that befouled city's
name. He stroked Rakka behind the ears and the
golden-furred dog began to wag his tail. “You
have suffered much then, Zachary, you and all your brethren.”

“Most of my family made it here safe,” he said
with a long sigh. “Would you believe I was once
the smallest of all my brothers? Even my sister
was stronger than me, even before that poison
made us hide in rags.” A horrible darkness filled
his yellow speckled eyes and his thick fingers
balled into fists as large as melons.

“That time has past, good Zachary,” Felsah
assured him with a faint smile touching his
cheeks. It was hard to look up so high, and so
the Questioner let his gaze descend across his
rescuer's body until they returned to the old
stone road through the center of Keeptowne. The
strange reptilian man bore a large brown tunic
and breeches with a simple black tabard draped
over his shoulders and clasped at his chest. A
large sword taller than Felsah had been before
the Curse's had claimed him rested at his hip
with a quillion at least a cubit across. His feet
were not covered by any sort of boot – so much
leather would have been difficult for a soldier
to afford – and while he did not stand on his
toes like many Keepers, his feet could hardly be
described as human either. Though the heel was
familiar enough, each of his four toes was
roughly the same size, ending in a dark gray,
swollen nail more akin to the elephants brought
from the eastern jungles or the southern steppes.

“Aye,” Zachary agreed with another long sigh.
“Amen. You were headed somewhere, Father? I could accompany you.”

Felsah lifted the heavy prayer book and then
pointed it northward at the castle. “I am going
there; I will speak with Father Hough at his
convenience. I will likely tarry a few days more,
then I must be off to see the rest of the Valley
and the many Followers like we who now make it home.”

Zachary stood up, turned toward the castle, and
with a deep chortle said, “Then let us go to the
castle. I would be honored to accompany you, Father Felsah.”

He felt a strange delight at this towering
behemoth's generosity and so nodded. “I would be
grateful for the company.” Together they walked
down the street, though Felsah noted within a few
paces that Zachary was deliberately slowing
himself to avoid tiring the priest. “Although I
had my youth in the Holy Land, I have traveled
many places in Galendor, and a few in Sonngefilde
as well. But I have never seen a creature quite
like you. Forgive my impertinence, but what are you, Zachary?”

The rumbling chortle met his sensitive ears like
a distant peal of thunder. “I'd be amazed if you
had known. I'd never heard of it either, nor had
any in the Fellowship. Oh!” Though Felsah
couldn't see it, the surprise in his companion's
voice sounded like self-admonishment. “A komodo
Emily told me that it's a creature that died out
in this land many centuries ago. She says the
Tened called it a Kharrakhaz.” He rolled the 'r'
for half-a-second in the strange word, the consonants harsh and whistling.

“The Tened?”

“An ancient race that used to live in this valley
those many centuries ago.” His voice grew distant
and uncomfortable. “I don't know much about them... you'd have to ask Emily.”

His tongue did not like the name, but he did the
best he could. “So what does Kharrakhaz mean in our language? Anything?”

Zachary's voice regained its good humor. “Three
horned herd beast, Father. Nothing more than that.”

Felsah chuckled lightly as they walked. Rakka
kept between them, and Felsah kept one hand on
the dog's back. The frightening men were gone,
but Zachary was still just a little too large and
strange smelling for his four-footed friend's
comfort. After a brief silence, he offered, “It
is an apt description judging by your appearance.
Are there any others like you?”

“Nay, though there are other Keepers who have
taken guises not seen in these lands before. E'en
you, Father. I do not recognize the creature you
have become. A mouse of some sort, I'd say, but not what kind.”

Felsah nodded, his long tufted tail flicking back
and forth behind him as he almost hopped each
step beneath his shortened black robes. “It is a
little creature akin to a mouse that lives in my
homeland. They are desert dwellers, hiding in the
rocks and in holes, coming out at night to forage
and frolic. They are very fast on their legs, and
they live such short lives, but they are hardy
for all that, and I have enjoyed watching them in
the past when I've been so fortunate to see
them.” He glanced at the slender tan-furred arms
he now bore, and the small hands and fingers
tipped by a short claw, and twitched his whiskers
in amusement. “A jerboa as we call them. It means hopping mouse.”

Zachary looked nearly straight down at him,
bending his neck in what must have been an
uncomfortable angle. And he had to because Felsah
was now not quite nine hands high at the top of
his long, round ears. “Pardon me for saying it,
Father, but you don't seem to be hopping.”

“I am trying very hard not to.” So saying he
moved his hips one at a time, his long legs,
hidden beneath his robes, taking each step one at
a time, the short claws tipping each toe brushing
against the inside of his black robe as they
reached the cold paving stones. “My first hops
tangled me badly in my Questioner garb, and poor,
sweet Rakka thought I was trying to play with
him.” He offered the dog a quick scratch behind
his ears. “In his enthusiasm, he accidentally bit
off one of my whiskers; it hurt more than I thought it would.”

Zachary glanced down at him and grunted before
returning his attention to the busy market road.
They were moving down the main thoroughfare and
passing into a large square filled with merchants
and Keepers out buying anything and everything
they could after the drought from the plague.
Stalls with boisterous men announcing breads,
cheeses, potatoes, salted meats, onions,
cabbages, spices, eggs, and even fresh milk made
Felsah's nose twitch and the nostrils on either
side of Zachary's beak swell. This scent was
mixed with a rich panoply of animal musks both
Keeper and otherwise, a variety of exotic
perfumes, soaps, and candles. Felsah's ears were
inundated by a cacophony of voices so richly
varied that he almost felt as if he'd stumbled
upon an exotic animal show in the middle of a
farm at the edge of a lively forest with a small
lake in which every fishing beast was currently
plying their trade and bragging about their
catch. Pinions, banners, and bright colors
assaulted him on either side as each of the
merchants newly returned to Metamor tried to
attract Keepers with as bright and as bold a display as they could manage.

In this maelstrom the trio plunged, but they
needn't have worried. The merchants only ever
briefly glanced their way; whether it was from
intimidation at Zachary's size and alien shape or
the red cross and black robe draped over Felsah's
body he wasn't sure, but he was grateful not to
have to politely decline a dozen or more
desperate princes of ware, coin, and road. It
also made it possible for him to ask a question
that had been gnawing at the back of his mind for some minutes.

“You do not seem to be afraid of Questioners. Why is that?”

Zachary flexed a mottled brown and green hand and
grunted, the edges of his beak twisting as much
as they could into a frown. “It's not because I'm
bigger than you, Father. Even if our shapes were
reversed I wouldn't be afraid of you... well,
maybe a little intimidated, but not afraid.” His
moue lifted a moment and he gazed upward at the
spires of the western half of Metamor castle. “We
had a Questioner at Bradanes. He was a good old
man who taught me my letters and how to pray. I
used to go hide in his cell when I was little to
escape the bigger boys.” The Kharrakhaz laughed,
a trilling rumble that made a few nearby
merchants briefly look up in alarm. “I think he
wanted me to become a priest like him, but after
he died, my father had me apprentice with a
weaver; my hands were small and nimble then.”

He waved his thick fingers and then shook his
head. “Father Ellis taught me the Canticles and
the faith in a way that everything made sense. He
said that was how all Questioners were instructed and I rather liked it.”

“Did you wish to become a Questioner?”

Zachary shrugged. “I might have at one point. But
now I'm big and strong, and so I'm trying to use
that to protect everyone here. That seemed the most important thing to do.”

Felsah nodded and smiled. It was good to hear
that there were other Questioners out there who
did not abuse their authority or revel in it like
so many others he had seen and felt powerless to
stop. “That is very noble of you, but do not
think that those are the only things that matter.
Your faculties may require more; they may expect more of you.”

“I know,” Zachary nodded. “But I can do these
things for the first time in my life. I want to
follow this path for a while and see where it
leads me.” In a softer voice, though one still
deep that seemed to whisper first from his
massive chest and then cascade down from his
beak, he added, “I'll always follow the Ecclesia first.”

“I am glad to hear it, Zachary. And thank you
again for aiding me. Let us speak of other things
for now. Tell me of your family. How many made
the journey from Bradanes safely?”

!DSPAM:4edb82c0157761804284693!