[Mkguild] Hough's Secret (3/3)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Sun Dec 4 14:26:46 UTC 2011

Metamor Keep: Hough's Secret
by Charles Matthias

Part 3...

They returned to the Cathedral in silence. It was still early enough
in the day that the light slanting through the clerestory windows
shone brightly from very near the altar. Felsah climbed off of
Madog's back when they arrived, heart weary with yet another rebuke.
He knelt down on the cold stone while the two canids, metal and
flesh, growled at each other and moved away to wrestle. He flicked
his ears a bit, long tail dancing across his sensitive footpaws, and
his whiskers quivered. His dark eyes filled with the carving of
Yahshua hanging from the yew, His body stretched in agony yet
dignified and pure.

There, on his knees, he prayed; confused and unsure, all he could
think of was the visage of a man who'd been blended with the shape of
a raccoon. He could not comprehend what had gone through his heart
and soul that could have led him away. He could not understand why
Raven's vehemence had unsettled him so. And he could not understand
how being made into a small rodent with an over-developed flight
instinct would help him in his new vocation.

"I do not understand, Eli," he murmured through is snout and folded
paws. "I do not understand, but I will trust you."

He felt a cold nose, snout, and ears pushing under his arm. He made
the sign of the yew and then looked down at Madog. The fox's blue
eyes were fixed on his, simple but sure, and a strange comfort. "I'm
glad you're back here, Father Felsah."

"I am uncertain, Madog. I know I must be where I am supposed to be,
but.... I don't know what I should do."

"You'll know," Madog assured him with a quick nuzzle. "You'll know."

He allowed a bit of levity into his voice. "Even if I'm not a fox?"

Madog yipped and wagged his tail. "You're better. Come. Father
Hough's waiting."

Felsah smiled, petted the metal fox, , turned back to the altar, the
tabernacle, and the yew. "Amen." His paw traced the yew over his
snout and chest, pausing only briefly when he reached his heart. He
rose to his paws and walked stiffly toward Hough's quarters, the dog
Rakka at his side. The patter of their claws on the stone echoed
almost musically, as if someone in a distant corner were singing a hymn.

The boy priest had taken the time to clean some of his kettles and
was even now steeping more of his cider while reciting his midday
prayers. He looked up as Felsah entered, quickly tracing the yew over
his chest. "How did it go? You were gone so long..."

"The Lothanasa kept me waiting before having me dismissed. But he is
still in the Temple, that much I know."

Hough looked between him and the two canids. His brow furrowed. "Are
you all right?"

"I will be. For now, did you gather the journals?"

"Aye, there on the table." Felsah glanced at the table and saw a
stack of at least a dozen journals each now as thick as his paws.
"I'm preparing more cider. Hot this time."

"Thank you, that will be very satisfying." Felsah, with both Rakka
and Madog sitting on their haunches watching him, reached up and took
the first of the journals off the table, swaying on his legs as he
tried to keep the heavy book steady. He stumbled over to the chair,
set the book on the seat, and then climbed up beside it. "Now let's
see if we can find what Vinsah saw."

Hough took one of the other books and joined him. Together, with
their four-footed friends watching, as they sipped on hot cider, they
began to read the hand of the late Patriarch.

!DSPAM:4edb832c158411804284693!