[Mkguild] MK story part 8

Christian Okane chrisokane at verizon.net
Fri Jan 21 17:34:08 UTC 2011

Here is part 8

Enjoy!
Chris
The Lurking Fox

   "So this is your newest toy?" Sir William Targhe snarled. "The anger and
contempt all too clear. Sir Targhe was dressed in a blue and brown doublet
and pants all of the finest silk and embroidered extensively. His hair was
carefully coiffured in the latest style. But for all the finery he was no
helpless fool. He knew very well how to use the sword that hung from his
shark skin belt. His full name was Lord William Targhe, knight of the order
of Dobrina and the personal representative of  Alfred the third, king of
Marigund. That last fact was one he never let anyone forget.

   "This is hardly a toy Sir William," the guild master responded.

   "LORD William," the man snarled, cutting of Demarest in midsentence. "You
will treat me with the respect my station deserves. I speak for the King."

   "You will curb that insolent tongue Sir William," Demarest said coldly.
"Or have you forgotten MY rank and station. I am LORD Demarest and also a
knight of the order of Dobrina."

   "As am I!" Targhe countered. "The king is tired of the guilds antics," he
snapped. "This is the second time your incompetence has left the country
upset over matters of faith."

   "Do you really believe we desired that Questioners presence here?"
Demarest responded. "Do you think we wished him dead?"

   "Of course," Lord William answered. "Most everyone wanted him dead."

   A faint smile crossed the Guild Master's face for a moment. "True but the
Guild was not knowingly involved," Demarest said. "I am just thankful that
it was Guild mages who tried to kill him and not one of the faiths."

   "Agreed," Lord Targhe responded. "That spared Marigund so much trouble."
He turned and walked over to where Salona was laying. The man looked at the
creature intently. "Just how powerful is this?"

   "We're not certain but it is very powerful," Demarest explained. "Our
only real example to go by is Madog and I need not tell you of his powers.
Misha believes she is both older and more powerful but he cannot be certain
until the automaton awakens."

   "What of the soul involved? The reason all these faiths are so upset. Do
you have that?"

   Demarest slowly nodded his head. "We have located the vessel containing
it but we haven't retrieved it yet. It's rested in the Guilds most secure
Vault for centuries unrecognized."

   "Are there other such souls hidden in there?" Targhe questioned harshly.

   "The Guild has NEVER knowingly trafficked in or held souls captive," was
the Guild masters harsh response.

   "You have not answered my question," the kings representative countered.
"What else is in that vault?"

   Demarest gave a wry smile. "That is a question I also want to know and we
are trying to find out. It's not what we know that worries me. It's what
unknown items are there that truly worry me. There are things in that place
that must never see the light of day again."

   "The king himself will appoint someone to oversee the complete inventory
of the Vault," the knight explained.

   "Understood but this person will be trustworthy?" Demarest asked. "A
person who can keep secrets."

   The knight nodded in response. "Of course. He'll not be a Guild mage but
will be someone that understands that some secrets are best kept."

   "No matter how this goes," Lord Targhe said. "I see only trouble."

   "Agreed, but there is no going back on this," Demarest said.

   Sir Targhe let out a deep sigh. "All too true. At least you acted quickly
and openly on this matter. For that the king is grateful. As am I."

   "I saw no other appropriate course of action," Demarest commented. "It
was already public knowledge that the guild was working on an automaton."

   "The blind man was one of your special people." It was a statement and
not a question.

   "He was. Still is, but his actions were done without my approval."

   "Will you continue to use him?" Targhe asked.

   The mage shrugged. "I don't know. He was innocent in some ways. He truly
did think I gave him those orders. But the fool should have known better.
His judgment can no longer be trusted."

***************

  The figure that walked through the door was not what Demarest had expected
Rabbi Arstein to look like. He had expected a short gray haired gentleman
with a face lined with years of worry and care. Instead the rabbi was a
tall, straight-standing man with the muscles of a warrior. His hair was
black and liberally peppered with gray. His skin had the color of parchment
telling of someone from the southern coast. The guild master remembered that
the rabbi's parents had fled to Marigund when he was a child. His black
jacket and pants were contrasted by the gold and silver sash wrapped around
his waist. As the leader of the largest Predecessor community in the
Midlands he commanded respect even from those who hated his faith.

   "Master Demarest," the rabbi said and smiled. "Thank you for seeing me. I
hope Sir Targhe didn't wear you out completely."

   "No he didn't," the guild master answered. "I was expecting a
confrontation from him. Just not so soon. You know of his visit?"

   "Sir Targhe's arrival was not pleasant," came the clerics answer. "I
could hear him screaming all the way across the courtyard."

   "My apologies," Demarest said and bowed slightly. "He is upset at the
guild."

   "William is always upset about something," the rabbi answered. "I keep
telling him to relax but he doesn't listen."

   "He is king Alfred's personal representative. High stress is part and
parcel of the title and duties," was the guild master's response.

   "Things are still unsettled from the affair with the Questioner," Arstein
commented softly. "Marigund does not need such commotions."

   "We did not ask Akaleth to come here," the mage said coldly.

   "I understand that," the cleric said. "But I was referring to how his
visit ended."

   Demarest stiffened. "The guild did not condone or help in any way with
the assassination attempt," he said in clipped tones.

   "Still, it was poorly handled," Arstein said and leaned close to the
mage. "We will not see that repeated with this automaton will we?" There was
an edge  to the clerics voice that had the ring of authority to it.

   "No Rabbi Arstein," was the mage's cold answer. "But the matter is
complex."

   "Any matter involving the soul is complex." Arstein slowly walked over to
where Salona was resting. Carlisle and Idette stood nearby silent but
listening to everything.

   "A beautiful work of art," Arstein said. "More like a statue then a
killing machine."

   "We have no way of knowing what her true purpose was," Carlisle said.
Speaking for the first time.

   "Nor do we know what her soul is like," Idette added. "Madog is an
automaton and he is the kindest and most gentle soul I've ever met."

   "That is not the topic of discussion here. We people of faith agree on
only one thing," Rabbi Arstein said slowly without taking his eyes off the
metal feline. "That the imprisonment and use of a soul is a terrible sin and
must be punished harshly."

   Demarest shook his head. "The Guild has never, NEVER knowingly trafficked
in or held souls captive. Nor will we ever."

   "How do you explain having one now?"

   "We cannot," Demarest answered.

   "For some reason this lost soul found its way to us. Now it's our
responsibility to see that it's cared for properly." Idette intoned
solemnly.

 **************

   Father Marchel arrived ten minutes after Demarest had seen off Arstein.
He doubted that the priest's timing was accidental. "Good afternoon Father
Marchel," Demarest said trying to sound cheerful as he extended his hand.

   The father smiled and shook the mages hand with a strong grip. "Thank you
for seeing me. I know how busy you are."

   "Never too busy for you or the cardinal," the mage responded.

   The priest nodded slowly. "It is at the cardinals behest that I am here.
He is disturbed by the rumors of your guild dabbling in automatons and
souls."

   "I can understand his worries," the mage said. "But rest assured that the
guild has never knowingly trafficked or held captive a soul or spirit."

   "The cardinal is well aware of that stated policy but we are also aware
that the guild might indeed have a captive soul in its possession."

   "We are not certain of that fact," was the Head Master's answer. "The
guild is in possession of many items that we know little of."

   "Ignorance does not lessen the nature of the crime," was the father's
answer.

   "Sir," Carlisle said in angry tones. "The guild does NOT traffic souls.
We did not imprison that soul nor do we intend to use it for our own gain."

   "Then what do you intend to do with it?" the priest asked harshly.

    "That has yet to be decided," Demarest answered. "First we must confirm
that we do have it."

   "And if you do have it? Then what?"

   "Then everyone will have to decide," Demarest answered.

**************

   High priestess Valarie Delminie came with a small retinue of people. The
high priestess of the Lightbringer faith for the Outer Midands was tall and
thin and moved with a subtle grace that spoke of an elvish ancestor in the
far past. Her silver hair was kept in place by a silver tiara. Her powder
blue gown flowed all the way to the floor and billowed about as she walked.
Lady Delminie was new to Marigund having arrived only a few months before.
No one was sure if her being sent here from Sathmore was a reward or a
punishment. Not the least of those was Delminie herself.

   Standing a step behind the high priestess was an older woman with long
blond hair that was bound up in tight braids. Priestess Azaelle Ferame was
born and raised in Marigund and served in various temples in the Outer
Midlands for years. Most had expected her to become the new high priestess
when the old high priest had died. It was a rude shock to everyone when a
young and some say head strong priestess had been sent from Sathmore. It
made for complications that no one wanted.

   Standing next to Azaelle was a man who was only slightly shorter than the
priestess. As the official Lightbringer priest assigned to the guild Torrey
Atchinsen was well known to Demarest. The young man had done very well last
year when the guild had faced a wraith in Wolin.

   "I wish to know who is responsible for this crime!" The high priestess
demanded.

   "Thank you for coming Lady Delminie," the Guild Master said trying to
sound pleasant "If you'll please have a seat I'll explain everything."

   It was with great relief that they watched the Lightbringer priestess
leave. Two hours of arguing and debating had left everyone drained.

   Carlisle slumped down into a chair too exhausted to stand any longer. "I
need a drink."

   "A large drink," Idette said.

   "That went better than expected," Demarest said. "No one threatened to
have us burned at the stake."

  "Yet."