[Mkguild] Justice in Vengeance Refrain (1)

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 09:26:10 UTC 2011

Well, at long last, the murder Trial of Malger Sutt commences...
---<<<>>>---

            Justice In Vengeance Refrain.

            “Are you quite finished, dreamwalker?” the Lothonasa asked flatly as
Malger knelt over the body of the once proud showman.  The man’s body slowly
slumped in death, a bloody froth burbling from his mouth as the last rattling
breath of life escaped his ravaged lungs.  The vixen slowly emerged from behind
the wagon wheel where she had sheltered.  Her alert gaze shifted from Malger to
corpse and then the Lothanasa.
            “Yes, mistress, it is done.” Malger’s voice was heavy; wearied.  He
removed his sword from the man’s chest and held it up briefly before his face,
eyes closed as he offered some silent prayer.  Shifting his grip from the hilt
to the blade before its crosspiece he turned and walked slowly toward the woman
seated upon her divan.  Vinsa cum Elvmere wrung his hands agitatedly upon his
breast, clutching the Tree secreted under the thin fabric and watched the
denouement with horror.  At his side Murikeer stood motionless, his jaw
clenched, but said nothing.  When Elvmere made a step toward Malger the illusion
guised skunk grasped his arm gently to stay him and shook his head at the
priest’s plaintive glance.
            “Very well.  Seize him.”  The four guards surrounding the divan
moved forward as one, their naked blades held before them.  Malger held up his
arms placatingly and extended his sword, hilt first, toward the nearest of
them.  The man lightly accepted the blade while another captured Malger’s upper
arm in a strong hand.  He did not bodily pull Malger away, merely guided him
toward the divan.  “Who is master of this bestiary, now?” she asked.
            The vixen, having briefly stopped to kneel over the corpse of her
former master, jerked something savagely from around his neck and stood.
“Myself, your grace.” She said softly, but easily heard in the heavy silence
that hung in the wake of Malger’s unexpected savagery.
            The woman shifted her gaze from the prisoner to the vixen.  “I will
require a wagon to transport this penitent.”
            Sheyiin bobbed her head and bowed crisply, “I will see what can be
found among our train, your grace.”
            To one side the master of the remaining caravan guards, Grimmam,
turned and strode back toward the sprawling camp among the trees beyond the
wagons.  Harsh but quiet orders were hissed to the guards he passed and after
brief moments to collect their wits the men nodded and trotted away into the
crowed toward whatever tasks their commander had given them.  The other members
of the caravan, handlers and drovers, looked on in horrified confusion.  Some
began to disperse on further orders from Grimmam.  “Attend to the survivors.”
The Lothanasa ordered her men.  The one holding Malger looked to her in askance
but at a small motion of her large hand he released his charge to join his
fellows.  Two went to the man whose leg Malger had severed while two others
attended to the man missing his lower arm.
            While they busied themselves with the moaning men, who had long ago
lost their voices for screaming as well as much of their color due to blood
loss, Murikeer strode forward.  “Cuialye lothan, mistress.” He bobbed his head
in a desultory bow, “What is to become of him?”
            “You are?”
            “Murikeer, your grace.  His apprentice, as is Elvmere.” He waved one
arm back to take in the raccoon concealed in his humanesque illusion.  The
woman’s eyes narrowed as she gazed upon the young mage, the priest, and then
back toward Malger standing silently beside her divan.
            “He will die!” a voice shouted from among the crowd pulling all
heads around with swift motions.  The aristocrat who had been among the gawkers
strode imperiously forward from among his retinue ignoring their hasty attempts
to stay him.  Polished steel gleamed at his side; a naked sword in one hand.
“The minstrel slew three and crippled two.  Justice demands his death.”  He
raised his sword slightly as he approached the divan.  The Lothanasa raised an
eyebrow curiously and raised a hand to stay her guards where they were, still
attending to the fallen.  Murikeer’s fingers flexed as he prepared a swift spell
but did not unleash it.
            “Stay yourself, apprentice.” The woman commanded.  “That is yet to
be determined, Earl.”
            “Here, and now, priestess!” the man snarled furiously, “I will
attend to it myself if you will not.”
            Murikeer looked from woman to man, his invisible tail bushing as the
fur along his spine lifted in fearful expectation.  No one knew of Malger’s
noble status; to them he was nothing more than a commoner and sufferable to the
swift justice of the Earl.  Even at the bottom tier of nobility he was well
within his rights to end the performer’s life on the spot for the crimes he had
just committed.
            “On your land, perhaps, Earl.  This is the demesne of Earl Asthill.
He shall make the decision concerning the minstrel’s fate.”  Her gaze came back
to Murikeer and hardened with a subtle glance at his hand.  The young mage
blinked in surprise; she could see the spell he had prepared though it was
invisible to any lacking the sight of mages.  A moment later he realized that
she could see far, far more than his readied spell and his jaw dropped in
horror.
            “I bear direct witness to murder, woman!” the man bellowed, “Asthill
has not!  Duke Thargood will hear of this abrogation of the Temple’s reach!”
            The Lothanasa nodded slowly and shrugged, “Then see about taking the
news to him, Earl Motense.  Until he sends word that you may gut the man offhand
I will follow the laws of Sathmore.  I, too, bear direct witness to his
actions.  He has enacted the Geas of Witness and by such I cannot, I will not,
allow that Law to be broached.”  Her glare was hard and steady.  After a moment
the Earl muttered a curse and slammed his sword back into its scabbard.
            “You tread too heavily on Secular Law, woman.” He snarled as he
turned and stalked back to his retinue.  With a violent jerk of one arm he bade
them to follow.  Snatching the reins of his mount from an attendant he swung
into the saddle.  “I will inform his grace of your intransigence.”
            “Mistress?” Murikeer allowed his spell to dissipate as the man
spurred his horse angrily in a tight circle, scattering his followers.
            “Your master will be taken to the house of Earl Tathim Asthill,
young mage, as will those who survived his vengeance.” She said after a few
moments watching the Earl gallop away.  “There he will suffer the Earl’s
justice, however that plays out.  You and your companion may attend, of course,
at your leisure.  You are not party to this bloodshed, but may bear some witness
as to the justice to come.”
            Murikeer stepped up beside Malger, astonished at the injuries the
minstrel had taken during the brief fight.  His garish raiment was tattered and
stained with blood; no little of it his own.  Malger’s eyes were distant and
glassy, offering only a brief empty stare at the mage as he neared.  “Mistress,
he spoke truly.  The slain were party to the rape of his love, and mine own in
his wake.  Had I grasped the realization…”
            “You did not, lad.  I know nothing of their crimes, save the
entrapment of these creatures in such squalor.” The Lothanasa cut him off gently
with a raised hand.  “If you wish to accompany us you should make ready.”
            Murikeer nodded his head and turned toward the priest standing
silently a short distance away,  “See to Malger, Elvmere.  I will ready our
horses.”  Elvmere started with a surprised blink before hastily moving forward.
He stopped short, however, as he reached the bloodied minstrel, still horrified
at the unspeakable violence he was capable of.  Murikeer left him to his work
and trotted toward the camp in the forest to pack their supplies.
            In due time a hastily readied wagon was brought around by a pair of
horses.  On the buckboard sat a driver and a couple of Grimmam’s men, one of
which was the guard master’s son.  The other was the man whose nose Malger had
bitten.  While the Lothanasa looked on the wounded were loaded and Malger was
helped up by Elvmere who climbed in after him.  The Lothana’s burly guards
lifted the divan onto their shoulders and, with the wagon following behind, made
their way down the rutted road toward the Earl’s house where Malger’s fate would
be decided.
~~
            Grimmam watched the strange train fade into the forest shadows with
a shake of his head.  “Now wot?” he snorted at the vixen who stood nearby
watching as well.  She looked across and up at him, as she stood not much taller
than four feet, and shook her head.
            “I know not, master Grim.” She sighed softly, “I know not where to
go.”
            “You let us out of these damnable prisons, little bitch!” bellowed
the bear from her wagon, which was the nearest to them.  That demand was echoed
by a chorus of cries from the other wagons.  “You know where the blasted man’s
key is hidden!”
            Sheyiin looked back toward the bear and then surveyed the others
before nodding.  “Aye, mistress Sho, I had no thought of leaving you in such an
unpleasant state.  What of yourselves, what shall you do?”
            “Return to Metamor.” Murikeer offered as he led a trio of horses
from the forest.  His inefficiency at packing, heretofore attended to mostly by
Elvmere, showed in the sagging packs slung from the mare’s back.  The other two
horses were more properly saddled.  Pausing to pick up Malger’s remaining sword
from the grass he crossed toward Grimmam and the vixen.  “All here, and you,
have been touched by the curse of that place.  Only there can you find some sort
of life, now.  Cursed as you are, a curse for which there has been no remedy
discovered as yet, that is the only place safe.”
            “A long journey.” Sheyiin commented.
            Grimmam nodded sourly, “An’ o’ us, boy?”
            The vixen reached out a petite hand and touched the guard’s
forearm.  “Attend us as you have thus far, master of arms.  I have Max’s
strongbox, you shall be paid in the same for your efforts.”  She smiled softly,
“Your men have not shown any degree of wanton cruelty to us.”  With a slow sweep
of her eyes she took in the milling caravan workers who remained but had no
immediate task.  “Those who work the wagons without cruelty are welcome as
well.  Any who did show cruelty are best wise to flee.”
            “I don’t have any wish to make that journey in this cage, fox.” The
saber-toothed feline growled from her wagon.
            “Hush, Lilith!” snapped the bear.  “I am familiar with Metamor, it
was not far from my former home.  He speaks the truth!  Once the little bitch
lets us out of these infernal cages any of you who want to go can go.  I daresay
the locals will be more than happy to hang your pelts from their walls as
trophies.”
            “I’ll eat her.” Hissed another voice, that of the hyena from her
wagon.  She had not moved, but watched the proceedings alertly with hungry
eyes.  Sheyiin’s ears backed at that pronouncement and her tail drooped.
            “Then you can stay in your Eli be damned cage, you insufferable
devil!” Sho bellowed loudly, causing Murikeer’s horses to start and snort.
            “Who’s calling who insufferable, you canticle thumping troll?” the
hyena snarled back, “It’s not like we can haul this gaggle of misfits through
the land unseen!”  She rattled her chains and turned her back on the rest of the
conversation.  Murikeer looked on with a slow shake of his head while he tried
to still the restive horses.
            “Then shall we not be seen, make of it our same show?” offered the
striped equine from her own wagon, “We a show master need only, replace to that
monster now so greatly dead.”  Her ears pricked forward as she looked toward
Murikeer.
            “I’ve my own master to attend to.” The skunk replied hastily with a
shake of his head, “And our own quests.  You have freedom, once the vixen has
released those who will refrain from eating her.”  The hyena held up one hand
over her shoulder in an offensive gesture, proving that despite having turned
her back she was still listening.  “Even slowly you may make Metamor before
first snow.  Master Grimmam, Sheyiin, I wish you Gods’ speed on your journey.”
            “Misanthe.” The vixen interjected while Murikeer turned to mount his
horse.  Murikeer glanced down at her curiously as he settled into his saddle.
“My given name; Misanthe.  The monster wished to scourge our past lives when he
remade us, giving us names of his own.”
            “A curse far worse than the one that changed our bodies.” Sho
grumbled irritably, “The key, little bitch!!”
            Misanthe, once Sheyiin under the iron fist of the deceased showman,
bobbed a brief bow to Murikeer before turning toward the wagons.  She fished a
golden key from the bosom of her fine gown and approached the bear’s wagon.
With a final glance at the former Menagerie of the Marvelous, now dead,
Maxamillian Malger reined his horse around toward the trail down which the
Lothanasa had disappeared with Malger.  With the pack mare and Malger’s stallion
trailing behind he touched his mount’s flanks with his illusion concealed paws,
tickling lightly with his claws, and goaded it into an easy trot.
            Mounting the steps at the rear of Sho’s wagon the vixen reached up
to the heavily ensorcelled lock to insert the key.  With that proper counter the
spells did not trigger.  The lock clicked and the door swung inward.  Before she
could retreat, however, a huge hand shot out through the gap and seized the
front of her gown in a powerful grasp.  As she shrieked in terror the bear
hauled her up into the air until she was at eye level, nose to nose with a maw
that could take most of her head with a single effortless bite.  Baleful brown
eyes glowered into the vixen’s terrified golden-green eyes for several long
seconds.
            Only after she had carefully descended the stairs to put her paws
upon the cool grass did Sho give a huge, toothy grin.  Convinced that her act of
kindness was a deadly folly the vixen prepared for the end of her life only to
be surprised as the air was crushed from her lungs in a bruin-strong embrace.
“Much as a little bitch you’ve ever been, girl, you’ve never shown cruelty.  I
thank you.” The bear intoned into her ear with a hot, emotion laden growl before
carefully setting her back down on her own paws.  “See about the others, dear.”
Her gaze shifted to the hyena’s wagon, “All of them.  If any wish you harm, they
will have to go through me.”
~~
            “He refuses.” Elvmere grumbled as he paced alongside Murikeer behind
the wagon in which Malger sat, head bowed, and stared at the two bodies
stretched out in front of him.  Neither of Max’s surviving cronies moved having
passed into the exhausted slumber of adrenal crash and blood loss.
            “What?” Murikeer chuffed irritably.  He, too, was on foot leading
his horse and Malger’s.  Elvmere had resumed leading the pack mare; a task that
was hardly onerous.  She followed him of her own accord, plodding along sedately
even while the raccoon had walked beside her correcting Murikeer’s hasty
packing.
            The sun had set by the time Murikeer caught up with them half a
league into their journey.  The Lothanasa did not seem inclined to speak and
Malger was too exhausted to offer any more than desultory mutterings in response
to their agitated questions.  He had no need to offer any explanation for what
he had done; Murikeer was fully aware of the why of it, if not the frighteningly
bloodthirsty avenue partaken.  But his erstwhile apprentices were very confused
by his sudden capitulation to the Lothanasa, and the possibly fatal exercise of
justice that could very well follow.
            “He will not let me pray for him; he refuses my touch.” Elvmere
complained quietly.  “He let me tend to his injuries within my abilities, but
flatly refuses Eli’s blessing.”  The raccoon priest looked over to Murikeer, his
illusory human face drawn with concern.  “Muri, his injuries are bad, I fear
they may fester if I am not able to do more than poultice them.”  His gaze
returned to the wagon, “He did ask one thing of me, though.”
            Murikeer raised one eyebrow curiously and waited to hear what
request Malger may have had.
            “He told me - he did not ask me, he told me - not to touch those two
men or tend them any aid.” The priest said slowly with a frown, shuddering at
the smoldering anger he saw behind the minstrel’s eyes when that order was
given.  Murikeer grunted softly and nodded.
            “I would gladly carve their hearts out with my own claws given the
opportunity.” The skunk growled as he nodded.  “Slowly, through their backs.”
He turned his level stare toward the priest, “You saw what I did with that stone
I presented to your Patriarch.”  One hand he held up, fingers splayed as if
holding something about the size of an apple.  “Imagine how easy bone would be.”
            Elvmere’s eyes widened and under his concealing illusion both tail
and ears drooped.  “Muri!” he admonished in shock.  The skunk merely shrugged
and turned his attention back toward the road ahead.  One of his hands strayed
to the pouch he wore upon his belt in which he kept a small journal and that
very stone the mage spoke of.
            “Once we reach this Earl’s house I will help you tend to his
injuries.  We’ve herbs and dressings in my supplies.” Murikeer replied as he
touched Elvmere’s shoulder with a placating hand.  “The herbs should stave off
infection.”
            “But what of your eye?”
            “It will be fine, Elvmere, worry not.”
            Coming around a long curve in the trail they spied their destination
at last.  The shadow of a tall spire rose out of the surrounding forest some
hundred feet or so by first glance, flaring out at the top to a crenellated
turret.  A half dozen slender spires stood at its flanks connected by flying
buttresses to the main spire.  The tower and its buttressing towers all showed
elvish grace in their graceful, sweeping curves.  Sprawling around its base like
mongrel pups was a cluster of clearly human constructed buildings with shale
rooftops.
            It was all quite dark, without a torch to be seen along the walls.
A few shuttered windows showed light through their cracks but only near the
ground floors where the forest would hide them from view.  It looked as if the
entire manor were trying to hide itself in the darkness.  Murikeer quirked an
eyebrow at the strangeness of the darkened edifice and Elvmere uttered an awed
gasp at the delicate silhouette of the tower rising against the night time sky.
            Handing his reins over to Elvmere Murikeer trotted to the front of
their little caravan, “What is this place, Lothanasa, that is so dark for an
Earl’s home?”
            The large woman looked down to him with a slight look of concern
upon her broad face, “I know not, young mage.  I have been away this past
fortnight and only now return.”  She turned her curious gaze on the manor house
ahead.  “The bestiary was merely on the road I traveled, the luck of the Aedra
upon your Master.”
            “The luck of light indeed.  I am concerned, mistress.  May the Earl
have succumbed to bandits in your absence?”
            “I know not, but suspect that they have other reasons to conceal
themselves in the night.”  Raising one hand she created a wan glow in the air a
few feet above her mobile chair.  The bearers seemed unfatigued despite carrying
the burdensome looking thing for leagues.  Their skin glimmered in the steady
glow of the light as they slowed to a stop and waited.  A few minutes later a
flickering light appeared atop the curtain wall surrounding the manor and slowly
swayed from side to side.  A distant voice echoed over the distance.  Holding a
hand before her mouth the Lothanasa whispered something and then swept her hand
toward the distant torch.
            Moments later the torch disappeared, quenched back to darkness.  A
rectangle of light appeared low on the wall and from it the shadow of a person
briefly appeared as someone came out to greet them.  That brief light, as well,
was subsumed back into darkness as the distant door closed.  The group waited a
few long minutes before the sound of feet reached Murikeer’s sensitive ears;
someone approached at a swift trot.  Moments later a shadow separated itself
from the overall darkness and approached.  “Cuialye lothan, and well returned,
your grace!  We are glad you have arrived safely!” the person said as they
slowed to a walk.
            “Amsobere, what is this darkness that greets us?” the woman asked
gently.
            “Bandits, your grace, or raiders, we know not.” The man offered
without sparing Murikeer more than a passing glance.  He was fully decked in
leather armor with a sword at his hip and a bow in his hand.  An arrow was
knocked upon the bow’s string but not drawn.  “Woodton was sacked yester’eve, we
saw the smoke of its burning this morn.  Riders returned shortly before
nightfall with a horrific tale of carnage and destruction.  The Lothanasi
Harkhem was quartered, by their report!”
            “Wise, then, to conceal the manor.  Escort us forth, Amsobere.  I
would learn more, but not here.”
            The man bowed and knuckled his brow before turning on his heel and
leading them toward the manor.  Five hundred paces from the manor wall the
forest simply stopped; cleared for fields and dairy herds as well an
unobstructed view of the surrounding land should bandits attempt any sort of
approach.  Murikeer strode forward a few paces until he walked alongside the
night guard.  The man cast him a sidelong glance.
            “Can you tell us aught of the destruction, goodman Amsobere?”
Murikeer asked gently.  “A couple of weeks past we witnessed the sacking of a
border village.  Their Lothanas was similarly quartered and their Temple razed.”
            The man looked across to him again, the whites of his eyes lambent
in the wan moonlight.  “Aye, stranger, that is the short of it.  The Temple was
pulled down, I am told.  The villagers slain to a child, as well.  No quarter
was given.”
            “Dark times.” Murikeer sighed with a frown,  “Dark times for us all,
indeed.”  With a brief nod of courtesy he fell back, returning to walk alongside
Elvmere and their horses.
            “What news, Muri?” Elvmere asked diffidently when he spied the young
man’s pensive expression.
            “Another village was sacked nearby.” Murikeer replied softly, “Their
Temple was pulled down and the Lothanas slain.  Deep Springs all over again.”
            “Oh dear!” the priest gasped into his hand, “Any survivors?”
            “I don’t know enough to say, Elvmere, but I am thinking not.”
            Murikeer grasped his arm gently and walked at his side more closely,
“We can do nothing for that village, Elvmere.” He said urgently, “Our concern is
Malger.  If the inquisitors are behind this attack as well it may be the leading
front of a war to come.  A war we do not want to be caught in the middle of.”
            Elvmere shook his head sadly, “But if the Church is behind this, it
will be a war the likes of which have not been seen in centuries!”
            “Aye.” Murikeer nodded, “And in such a war we are but chaff in the
wind, Elvmere.  We matter not a whit between a clash of Holy Seats and kingdoms,
bear that in mind.”
            Elvmere gave him a brief scowl, “I have seen my fair share of war,
Muri, bear that in mind.  I was adjutant to a general for many years.”
            “A what?”
            “Akabieth, my boy.  Before he learned tolerance and humility curbed
his pride he was the point of the spear that cut deeply into the pagan faiths of
a dozen lands.”
            “Ah, I am sorry Elvmere, I knew little of your Master’s youthful
fire.  I saw only his gentle wisdom of later years.”  He shifted his grip to the
priest’s shoulders, feeling the fur under his shirt through the illusion.
Giving a reassuring squeeze he dropped his hand and said nothing further.

            Upon reaching the dark Manor house they were met by a dozen wary
night guards and the Earl himself, a strikingly handsome youth somewhere into
his third decade.  After the Lothanasa explained the addition to her retinue the
Earl looked to Malger, who now stood silently between two of the priestess’
burly guards.  To Murikeer’s sight he looked about ready to fall where he stood
but he gamely remained on his feet.  If the guards had noticed the feel of fur
under his tattered clothing they said nothing of it.
            After a few more quiet words with the priestess he instructed his
personal guards to conduct Malger to the manor’s dungeon and the two injured men
to the healer’s house.  As the minstrel was escorted away the Earl approached
Elvmere and Murikeer where they stood at the periphery of the crowd.  The wagon
was mounted by one of the Earl’s men and steered toward a different area of the
manor grounds.  Grimmam’s two men remained with the wagon.
            “You are the apprentices of the accused?” the man asked in a gentle
but strong voice as he faced them, his arms behind his back.  They nodded
affirmatively in unison.  “I am sorry for the necessity of separating you, but
it would be uncouth for me to imprison you with him; you do not stand accused of
any wrongdoing.  I am Tathim of this House.  You are?”
            “Murikeer, your grace, and my companion is Elvmere.”
            “He has the look of a southerner about him; Pyralian?”
            “Of that lineage, sire.” Elvmere offered quietly.
            “Be that as it may, Elvmere and Murikeer.  I will have a room
prepared for your comfort.  I do apologize for the darkness that greets you, but
ill events have forced me to be overly cautious.”  Looking down briefly the Earl
frowned and sighed, “One of my vassalages has been sacked and I fear to say that
will have some delay on seeing to your master’s fate.  Rest assured I am a just,
but I am fair.  What will be, will be, may such be to the grace of all.”
            “Sire, our friend is sorely injured.  May we see to his wounds
before he is cast into a cell?” Elvmere hazarded with all the deference he could
muster into his shaking voice.
            “I have healers who are quite capable, lad, I –“
            “Sire, he has special needs that cannot be –“ Elvmere interrupted
but petered to a halt at the man’s sudden hard stare.  Towering over all of them
the Lothanasa approached the Earl’s side.  Murikeer was amazed at her towering
height; a good seven feet to the top of her large head but not, as the divan
gave the impression of, obese in the least.  She leaned down and said a few
quiet words into the Earl’s ear that even the skunk’s pricked ears could not
discern.  The man listened quietly for several moments, the expression on his
face going from hard to curious to surprised.
            “I – see,” Putting one hand to his brow he shook his head slowly,
“Yes, see to your master, young pupils.  Haeferth, see that they take the
accused to one of the servants’ halls so that his pupils may tend him.  Once
they are finished tell Morgan so that they may be housed.”  With a last nod to
the pair he turned, “Oh, and have their steeds stabled.  Secure what weapons
they may have.”
            One of the night guards escorted them to the stables along the
inside of the manor’s curtain wall; more a wooden palisade than a true wall but
certainly serviceable enough.  Hastily unlimbering their steeds in the dim light
of a lone lantern they relinquished the animals to awaiting stable hands and
hastened to follow the guard.  They were conducted to a servants’ hostel and
once within taken to a large communal room where Malger awaited them under the
watchful gaze of two guards.
            Murikeer glanced at the two guards hanging by the door where their
escort joined them and moved to Malger’s side.  The minstrel was a sorry sight;
bedraggled and tattered, beaten and bloodied by his brief but bloodthirsty
rampage through the showman’s personal guards.  His breathing was slow but
labored and he offered but a wan grimace at their appearance.  “I would put you
two on the road now, but you would not go.” He grunted but winced at the
discomfort speaking caused him.
            “You’re an aedra bedamned fool.” Murikeer chuffed as he set his bag
on a nearby table.  An assortment of bandages and herbs had already been laid
out for them by some forward thinking house servant.  “You can walk away from
this, right now.  Why have you not?”  Taking a small knife up from the items
left for them he tested the edge and, finding it satisfactorily sharp, deftly
cut away the minstrel’s destroyed shirt.  Malger winced, but whether it was in
pain or the final end of his finery Murikeer did not know.  Carefully peeling
the blood matted material away he looked at the injuries it concealed.

!DSPAM:4d3e973a185801122247586!