[Mkguild] Justice in Vengeance Refrain (4)

Ryx sundansyr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 09:33:52 UTC 2011

            “That he’s older than the lot of us, and a fare share wiser.  Give
him his time.”
            “Elvish time and, as you said, human time are seldom in step, master
Thomas.” Murikeer pointed out sadly.  “How, then, does one of the Cloth come to
travel with an Elf for the greater extent of his life?  They’re not exactly
given to following Eli, after all.”
            “Hai, you fellows find a seat!”  Thomas dug a jug from beneath the
cluttered table nearby and a trio of pewter goblets.  “Just… put the stuff
wherever.  I’ll find it again in all due time.”  Using the tail of his shirt he
rubbed the goblets and gazed at them to judge their cleanliness.  “T’is a long
story, as I would think a worthy mage in the company of Eli’s own might be,
yes?  Let us enjoy the day and let your worries ebb just a shade in the telling
of such lengthy tales.” He said, handing each of them a goblet after they had
cleared books and dust from a couple of chairs and sat down.  “How fares the
grandness of Metamor, if I might ask?  I sore miss her great libraries.”
Leaning forward in his chair he poured the contents of the jug, some manner of
dark wine, into their extended goblets, “And this curse that has touched you?”
            “As you said, stories of some lengthy telling.” Murikeer said and
took a sip of the wine.  It was rich but not dry, with a mellow sweetness
reminiscent of raspberries and honey.
~~
            “That is not why you are here, boy.” The wolf growled from his chair
without moving to rise.  “You’re to serve, not fight!”
            “But, Jadis, it was only sword training!” He protested with a frown
while he pored over the thick, meaty stew he had been tasked to prepare.  It was
hardly a challenge; throw a heaping plate of diced meat into the broth and just
let it simmer all day before adding the few vegetables that he could eat.  The
wolf would ignore those and hoard the stewed meat for himself.
            “Those kind of swords are not for your clumbsy hands, boy.” Jadis
snorted into his cup of ale, tall ears backed in irritation.  “You’re for the
house, like any good slattern, to cook, to clean, mend, and make sure my sword
is well tended.”  Slamming the cup down on the table beside his chair the wolf
scratched the fur of his naked crotch.  “You’re worth nothing else.”  I am, I
am!  Mosha, tell me that I am!
            “Jadis!” He quailed sorrowfully, stricken to his core at the callous
disregard of his would-be mate, “How can you say such things!?  Have I not
served you faith-“
            “YES!” Jadis barked as he surged to his paws with a harsh laugh of
sarcasm, “You serve me as faithfully as the wonton bitch you are!  That is what
you are for, to serve me, no one else!  You cook my food, clean my house, and
warm my bed.  Nothing else!  Nothing!” The wolf raged, grinning with those sharp
teeth as he advanced.  A strong finger tipped with a stout claw poked him
solidly in the chest and he fell back a pace despite the fact he stood a good
foot and a half taller than the wolf and out-massed him by almost double.  He
quailed back until the heat of the cook stove singed his tail and his tall horns
rattled on the beam over the stove.
            “You can’t mean that Jad-“  This is not me!  Not me!  Mosha, please,
why do you torture me so?!
            “I do.” The wolf’s roar became a hard growl, “Now finish that stew,
boy.”  He turned and stalked back toward his chair.  Snatching up the ewer of
ale he refilled his mug and took a long pull of the thick, frothy liquid.  It
clung to his muzzle giving him the look of a rabid animal until he wiped it off
with the back of his arm.  “If it is half palatable tonight I may let you play
with my sword.  If not, well.” With a toothy grin he shrugged, “I’ll just
replace you.”
            “Jadis,”
            “Shut up and cook, boy.  Leave your betters some peace.” With that
Jadis flopped back into his huge chair and stretched his legs across the
ottoman.  Tears fell into the stew as its sorrowful cook returned to his duties,
knowing that the wolf was right; he had no worth.  No one would love him.  Like
Jadis, he was worthy only of being used.
            Nocturna, no, I am worthy.  Worthy!  Why do you not answer, Mosha?

            Malger jerked and grabbed at his face with both hands, slamming his
head back against the wall with a stunning crack that sent him pitching forward
off the cot he had been sitting on when sleep overtook him.  Falling forward he
spilled across the floor, scrabbling at the smooth stones with his claws as he
tried to regain his wits past the pain in his head and the crushing fist
grasping at his heart.
            The sorrow was almost too much to bear and it brought him to weep.
He rolled over onto his back and gasped for breath past the sobs that wrenched
themselves from his breast.  The cell was night dark and he saw no stars through
the grate above.  Pale moonlight shone upon the stones, wavering with shadow as
unseen clouds drifted across the sky he could not see for the roof a short
distance beyond that grate.  The darkness did nothing to dispel the after-images
of the sinister old wolf raging at him with mocking laughter.
            I gave him away, Malger remembered, but the sorrow would not release
his heart.  I gave him to someone better, someone more gentle, someone who would
care.  But oh, why did it hurt so?  Why would Nocturna not come to him?  What
had become of the realm of dreams that had ever been his sanctuary from the
trials and pains of waking life?
~~
            The Cherry blossoms were in full bloom and filled the air with the
sweet redolence of spring.  In her hands was a simple embroidery that they used
to help focus their thoughts.  Upon it was an intricate design in slender blue
thread; a crane upon a shoreline, identical to those being created by the
sisters of her crèche seated all around in the cherry orchard.  She could hear
the soft susurrus of voices in her ear while her sisters chanted the Mandala of
Focus, centering their minds against even the peaceful distractions engendered
by the sweetness of the cherry blossoms and cool spring air.
            Stroking the blanket across her thighs she looked down at her
hands.  A frown pulled at the corners of her muzzle at the sight of short black
fur on slender fingers tipped with polished black claws.  She turned one hand
over and gazed at the coarse black pads upon her palm and fingertips.  She was
not supposed to be like that, was she, in the orchard of her crèche?  Gazing
around she saw that all of her sisters, engrossed in their embroidery, were all
as human as they should be.
            Why then, was she not?  That question lingered in her mind,
unspoken, for a time until another distraction entered into the peace of the
orchard.  The sisters, all girls between the ages of six and twelve at various
degrees of their training, looked up toward the newcomer and primly placed their
folded hands upon their laps.  She did as well, sliding them under her
embroidery to hide their blasphemous wrongness, as she looked toward the
newcomer and quailed in sudden fear.
            The woman, tall and willowy, radiated an air of quiet menace and
unspeakable sorrow all at the same time.  She was garbed from head to toe in a
wrap of the purest mourning white.  Walking sedately through the orchard she
paid no heed to the trees or the sisters bowing forward on their knees, brows to
the cool grass, as she passed. Fathomless dark eyes were for her alone and they
bored through her with frightening power.
            Here was a woman of the Highest Houses, whose whim would be the
making or breaking of any girl within sight.  The girl bowed forward as well,
touching her nose to the grass and making sure her tail – tail! – was held low
out behind her.  “Rise, child.” The woman spoke.
            To her, of that there was no mistake, but she was too terrified to
move.  Her ears laid back upon her head and she shuddered under the tall, somber
woman’s regard.  “Yes, child, I speak to you.  Rise.”
            Swallowing the lump in her throat the child shifted back onto her
knees and then, digging her claw tipped toes into the grass, rose slowly to
stand before the noble matron.  “Nen’si hai, nen’si asih.” She whispered in a
quiet voice as she stood with head properly bowed, hands clutched before her
stomach.  I hear, I obey.
            “I have a task for you, child, a task only you can undertake.” The
woman’s voice was a smooth contralto, gentle yet somehow bone-achingly powerful;
it cut straight to her heart as effectively as any task master’s shout.
            “Nen’si hai,” replied the child, dutifully pricking up her ears and
keeping her wayward tail tucked.  Why did none of the other girls have ears that
moved?  Or fur, or tails for that matter?
            “A traveler seeks me, but he has become lost.  I wish for you to
find him for me.”
            “Until my dying breath, noble mistress, I will seek him.”  She
swallowed slightly and hazarded a question, “How might I know when I have found
the one you wish me to find?”
            A touch of gentle humor softened the weight of the white-clad
woman’s words, “You will know.  When you find this traveler, child, I wish you
to help him find his way again.”  A gentle touch between her ears almost made
the child fall to her knees but she remained dutifully upright with only a
slight sideward splaying of her years.  “Bring him to me, child, you will know
the way.”
            “Nen’ae shai, im’nhi sai.” She nodded her head slowly under the
woman’s touch.  My life to serve you.
            “Abesh non lased’hi, child.”  Serve with grace.  “Now go, find my
lost one.”
            Bobbing in a smooth curtsy the child looked up as she felt the
woman’s touch fade but the orchard was empty.  She was alone.
~~
            Murikeer jerked spastically and lashed out against the huntsmen
closing in from all sides, bloodlust gleaming in their hungry eyes.  He had
almost escaped but they had found him, cold steel gleaming in their hands.
Beside him Elvmere gave out a startled cry when one of the skunk mage’s arms
clobbered him across the muzzle.
            “Murikeer?” the priest clutched at his abused face and rolled away,
putting some distance between him and the writhing skunk.  “Eli scourge these
nightmares!” His own sleep had been frighteningly troubled and, had the skunk
not awakened him with a bruising drub across the face he would have been
awakened by the fright of his dreams soon enough.  Murikeer kicked off the heavy
down comforter that made him feel like he was being broiled in his own fur and
surged out of the bed in a fit of frightened fury.
            “All the gods curse this place.” The skunk growled in the baritone
voice of his human guise, scrubbing his own face vigorously as he paced the
room.  “I have had naught but terror whenever I sleep since coming to this
place!”  He struck his shin against the edge of a table and staggered with a
pained hiss.  “I haven’t dreamed of the days I was hunted in years.  Years!
Gods, I still feel that fear to my very core!”
            “Aye.” Elvmere sighed.  He touched his muzzle through the guise of
his illusion with his fingers to see if anything was more than bruised.  “For me
it was the plague that struck Abaef some fifteen years ago.  I lived in terror
of being touched by it for months.”  He sighed and just gave his muzzle a rub to
quash the lingering throb.  “I did, in the end, but it passed.  Tell me, did you
hear anyone calling out?”
            “Calling out?”
            “Yes.” Elvmere stretched and untangled the spread enough to slide
out of the huge bed.  “Throughout it all there was someone calling out.  A
plaintive voice, as a child seeking their parent.”  Padding to the window he
pushed open the shutters to let in the cool night air and gaze toward the moon.
It was a mere sliver above the horizon and the sky was beginning to grow pale
with coming dawn.  “I could hear it, but not distinctly.  It was a sorrowful
sound that filled me with this ache of sorrow that was almost as strong as the
terror of becoming plagued.”
            “We are plagued, Elvmere.” Murikeer threw himself into a chair and
rubbed his bruised shin.  “This place is a pox.”
            “Aye.  We should ask Malger of it.  He is the dream worshiper among
us.  Perhaps he will know more.”
            Murikeer chuffed through his nose, “If this be-damned half-elvish
lord gets around to us anytime within the years of our mortality.”
            “Brother Thomas promised to inquire.”
            Rubbing his muzzle Murikeer then stroked his hands back across his
head, fingers combing through the false hair on his false head before dropping
to the arms of the chair in which he sprawled.  “I trust that he will, as the
Earl’s confidant.  Come, I’m ill of this stifling room and need to feel the
night air.”  Thrusting himself from his chair he straightened his leggings and
cast about for his shirt.  In the dark, even with eyes more sensitive in dim
light than most, the dark fabric blended into the shadows almost completely.
Elvmere located it folded on the footlocker and handed it over before taking up
his own.  Both had been laundered and mended by the Earl’s house staff the
previous day, as had the other clothing they had not been wearing at the time.
            Whatever magic Murikeer used to mask their scents somehow lingered
long past association with the wearers for no one commented at the musk that had
to be on those clothes.  Elvmere was well aware of what a raccoon smelled like,
and skunk; neither of them pleasant in any great strength.  Slipping the shirt
on he tied the sash about his waist and followed the young mage out of the
room.  A pair of guards lounging outside the door stood abruptly and snatched up
their spears.  Unlike Elvmere, who felt as if he had not slept in three days and
was going forward merely by the force of momentum pulling at his feet, the two
guards looked very alert.
            “Are ye gents a’aight?” One of the guards rumbled curiously, “Heard
one o’ ye hollerin’ out a good bit o’ th’ night.”
            The other guard grunted and drew his helmet on.  “More like both of
ye’s.  An yer no alone.”
            “Not?” Murikeer asked.  He paced down the hallway like someone with
purpose though he had no idea where he wanted to go save away from that room,
its heavy down comforter and its closed shutters.
            “Aye, no.  Been a lotta screamin’ an hollerin’ about toni’.” The
first guard paced alongside Elvmere while his cohort followed a few paces
behind.  “If ye stan’ ou’ on th’ balcony ye can be hearin’ ‘em.”
            “Bloody chorus o’ the damned.” Quipped the one following along
behind.  His chain rattled and the butt of his spear thunked on the wood with
each pace with a sound that made Elvmere’s hackles ripple.  To him it sounded
like the gavel of an angry judge.  “Last ni’ too, but no so bad as this.”
            “And you two sleep during the day?” Elvmere asked.  Murikeer had
outpaced them by a good dozen strides.
            “Aye as ‘at.”
            “Any bad dreams?”
            “No so much.” The guard pacing him looked down at him as they
walked, “But tell th’ tru’t I bein’ almos’ afraid ta be takin’ me sleep t’day.”
He poked his spearpoint toward the end of the corridor where Murikeer stood
waiting on them.  “No wit all ‘at screamin’ inna dark like.  Givin’ me th’
shillies.”  They passed a door to someone’s bedchamber and heard from within the
sound of muffled anguish.  A mournful cry for someone’s mam whispered through
the heavy wood prompting Elvmere to trace a sign of the tree upon his brow and
breast.  The guard grunted with a nod and did the same despite the amulet of
Kammoloth he wore around his neck.  After the archavist Thomas’ revelation that
Followers were, albeit grudgingly, accepted Elvmere felt less restrained in
showing his own faith. “Damn unsettlin’.” The man sighed.
            “Because of the attack on Woodton?” Elvmere asked.  They reached the
intersection and found Murikeer crouched petting a rather affectionate cat.
When they came to him the cat gave a purring meow before moving to wend itself
around the legs of a guard.  The man knelt briefly to stroke the cat’s head.
            “That be when things began, aye, but seems t’ me a lot o’ anguish
over a single attack.” Offered the first guard who merely glanced at the cat.
“But then has been peace here a right long time, then that.”  He shrugged and
followed Murikeer through a door down one of the side halls out into the night.
“Years o’ peace, then out o’ the blue a village is slaughtered.”  Canting his
head back the man looked up at the waxing moon.  “No just a raid, outright
wanton slaughter.  An’ them that went the ruins said nothing was took.”  He
looked across at Elvmere with a frown on his face.  The moonlight left his eyes
deep in shadow giving him the look of a cadaver.  “No plunder, just death.”
            “Such would unsettle even the most hardened of hearts.” Elvmere
replied wanly.  There were no words of condolence he could offer that felt could
even begin to encompass the loss.  He recalled Deep Springs and the senseless
carnage he saw there.
            “Someone wishes war.” Murikeer growled irritably.  He shook himself
and took a deep breath of the cool night air.  There was a taste of rain to it
but the clouds were still relatively sparse.  Perhaps the dawn would bring
rain.  “Such needless slaughter could only be a goad to force Sathmore into
rising up in response, igniting a war between kingdoms for some unknowable
goal.”
            “People always profit by the chaos.” Pointed out one of the guards.
“To wha’ end, though?” he asked as they stood in a small ancillary courtyard
behind the kitchens and smithy.  “Sathmore and the Midlands’ve been at peace,
fer th’ mos’ part, fer generations.  Only big wars I be knowin’ of were
squabblin’ provinces o’ Pyralia.”
            “I cannot say.” Elvmere sighed with a shrug.  The smell of charcoal
and iron from the smithy mingled strangely with the smell of bread from the
kitchens and the underlying stink of compost in a way that was strangely
comforting in its familiarity to Elvmere.  Wherever he went in the many years of
his life the smell of human settlements were always the same; pleasant and
noisome in equal measure.  “War for the sake of nothing more than war itself
seems terribly senseless.”
            “There is a goal to it, Elvmere.  I know not what, or for whose
gain, but there is always a goal to war.” Murikeer replied. Turning to one of
the guards he tilted his head slightly, “Tell me, sir.  Are we under arrest?”
            The man cocked a brow for a moment and shook his head, “No, lad.”
            “Then why has the Earl assigned us guards to escort us about day and
night?”
            The guard chuckled warmly, “He didn’t, lad, th’ seneschal did.
After Woodton everyone be on edge.  An’ yer mysterious travelin’ folk, so we was
‘appy t’ volunteer.  Ye’ve got news o’ the world beyond.  We dunna get many
visitors.”
            “And, I would assume, to prevent us from attempting to liberate our
master.” Murikeer shrugged.  They wandered between the buildings into the main
courtyard wandering aimlessly.
            “Aye, as such.”
            “Good morning, lads.” A voice reached them from a pair of dark forms
lounging on chairs in the moon shadow of the main house.  “Tren, John.”
            “Archivist.  Yer up uncommon early.”
            Thomas snorted irritably, “Care to watch my beloved die but once, my
fellows.  Come, have a seat and enjoy the dawn.  T’is better than dreaming, of
late.”  When they stepped out of the moonlight and into the shadows Murikeer
found that the second person seated at Thomas’ side was the Earl himself.
            “Good morning, sire.” The young mage offered with a bow.  “As the
good Thomas has said, the night has not proven especially restful.  I thought I
might clear my head with some cool air.”
            Earl Tathim nodded leisurely and saluted with a cup held in one
hand.  “Be at ease, young man.  Thomas has spoken to me at some length about
you.  He holds you in some good regard.”
            “As we do him, sire.” Elvmere smiled genially, “He is quite well
read, and wise.”
            Again Tathim nodded, “And he has invited you to sit, so rather than
strain his old bones looking up at you, feel free.  He and I are most well
traveled, and have had chance to visit the libraries of Metamor some decades
ago.  It pleases me to know it still stands.”
            “It does, indeed, sire.   We suffered a grievous attack this past
Yule, in which I lost my eye avenging the death of one I loved.” Murikeer
settled into one of the hard wooden chairs and leaned back after carefully
settling his tail around to one side.  He nodded concordance to Thomas’ recent
statement about the loss of his own love at some point.  “But we survived it and
rebuild.”
            “T’is all we can do, ere there is anything left to rebuild.” Tathim
sighed and sipped from his cup, “Ach, forgive my sharp tongue, lads.  The
nightmares that followed the sacking of Woodton, and the responsibilities of my
office that came of it, weigh heavily on me.”
            “Accepted, sire.”
            “Tathim, boys, Tathim.  Out here in the dark hours of morning we are
all men at ease.”  He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, rolling
the cup between his palms.  “Tell me of this master of yours.  From his manner
he does not seem the man his actions painted him to be.  Likewise his skill with
the blade, to have gone alone against an entire caravan worth of fighters and
emerged alive, is considerable.  More than I would expect of a mere troubadour.”
            Murikeer nodded and smiled thanks when Thomas handed him a wooden
cup.  The contents proved to be nothing more innocuous than cold brewed tea
sweetened with maple.  “Like you he was well traveled for many a year.  He
picked up all manner of skills.  Rather than have us risk our journeys alone he
agreed to escort us, and take us on as pupils, when we left Metamor.”
            “Is he as cursed as you?”
            Murikeer blinked and shot a glance at Thomas who beamed like a
triumphant fool and winked back at him over the rim of his pewter mug.  “He
is.”  He reached up to his amulet but Tathim waved a hand dismissively.
            “Thomas, ever the spriteful old spy that he is, told me what he
discovered through the priestess’ high windows.  I do not need further proof.
Truth be told the idea of it rather raises the hairs on the back of my neck.
You’re brave sorts, and uncommonly skilled, to leave the shelter of others
likewise touched where acceptance is the rule of normality.”
            “We learn that some wild un-truths have been spread about us in the
past years.” Murikeer sighed with a nod, dropping his hand.
            “Perhaps disgruntled merchants too harried for time to reap the
profits that Metamor offers have chosen to limit competition by spreading lies.”
Elvmere hazarded after taking a swallow of his own tea.
            “That would not surprise me.” Tathim grunted.  “Your master claimed
justice against those he slew.  What do you know of it?  He tells me that you,
lad, have some understanding of his actions.”
            “Aye, milord – er, Tathim.” Murikeer swirled the tea about in his
cup, gazing into the dark liquid as if seeking some sort of truth.  “The one I
loved, the one I lost in the attack this past Yule and in whose name I lost an
eye, was captured by the man and his stalwarts.  I think it was some four or
five years past, before I came to know what she became after our master helped
her come to terms with what they did.”  He looked up and met the Earl’s eyes.
They seemed to shine with a golden luminescence in the moonlit dark.  “What they
did was… were atrocities I feel lacking to describe.  She was beaten nigh unto
death and raped, repeatedly and violently, over the duration of the fortnight
she was their captive.  Others were there, captured and chained and left to
undergo the curse for the man’s profits.”
            “Her strength must have been worthy of ballads.”
            “Aye, I would say.  I saw her in battle, when I lived far north of
Metamor.  She aided me in destroying the engines of war being fielded by an
enemy of Metamor.”
            “Aided you?  Alone?”
            “The two of us, aye.  I am a mage, sire.  With judicious use of
magic and stealth I was able to strike against them in a moment of awkward
vulnerability.  As a result they were all destroyed, and a goodly portion of the
escort with them.”
            “A tale worthy of telling, if you’ve the time.”
            “What of our master, though?  Tathim, I would offer you what tales
you may desire, but the fate of our injured companion is paramount.”
            “He is well, if as harried by dark dreams as any of us.  I inquired
if he needed the attentions of my healers and he refused.  Once day has come I
will allow you to see him as you wish.  He is morose over his situation, and
eats little we offer from mine own tables.”
            “The fight took much from him, and his injuries were many and, if
not individually mortal, the plentitude of them is certainly a burden.” Elvmere
replied softly.
            “Agreed, I have been in similar condition a few times.  Only my fey
blood has seen me through a good many scrapes.”
            “Ach!” Thomas crowed with a laugh, “That fey blood and a good hand
at your side.”
            “Aye as much, my old friend.” Tathim smiled at his aged companion
with a salute of his cup before he drained it.  “As for your master, Earl
Motense of Fendshill will be here in two days’ time to bear his witness of his
attack on the caravan, as will a witness for Duke Thargood.  Until then I can do
little but deal with the results of the sacking of Woodton.  The Lothanasa hin
Caris tells me you were familiar with an arrow recovered from the slain?”
            “Yes, sire.” Elvmere sighed sadly, “We saw much the same in a
village similarly attacked some three weeks journey to the north.  They are
unique to the Knights of the Ecclasia, specifically those attached to the
Questioners of the Church.”
            Tathim sighed heavily and stared into his cup, “I sent out a
messenger pigeon when I learned of the attack, and received word back just after
dark this night.  Eight remote settlements along the mountains bordering the
midlands and Sathmore have all suffered the same violent end in the past month,
discounting Woodton which brings the total to nine.  All were sacked and razed
with few, often no, survivors.  Evidence left behind always bears the mark of
the Yesbearn.”
            “Nine!” Elvmere exclaimed, aghast.
            “Sathmore issued a writ to marshal all levies without delay.  That
was also a part of the message that was returned to me.” Tathim informed them
flatly.  “I’ve little to raise, but –“ he sighed and tossed back the remainder
of his tea.  “I will be sending riders to my vassalages in the morn to marshal
what little I am able.  Sathmore readies for war, lads.  By rights, as a males
capable of wielding a sword I am required to conscript you.  The fact that one
of you is a mage only strengthens that claim.”
            “Sire!?” Elvmere gaped and almost dropped his cup but Tathim merely
waved his fingers slightly.
            “I shan’t, no.” He set the cup down on the small table before them
and Thomas leaned forward to refill it. “After decades living among men I have
left the pride of my lineage long behind.  I am but a humble man wishing to live
out his centuries in peace, not war.  I would not wish to impress you into
another pointless war.”  Taking his cup when Thomas handed it to him he took
another drink.  “It seems that humankind seek only to slaughter itself.”
            “You’re not so far from human yourself, friend.” Thomas offered
humorously, “You’ve got some fire mixed into that cold elvish stuff, yourself.”

!DSPAM:4d3e9903187841804284693!