[Mkguild] Parting

Ian Jones Ian.Jones at valpo.edu
Thu Jun 30 03:51:47 UTC 2011

Ok, first story in my actual arc.  Comments/suggestions/things that went
horribly wrong/formatting errors/typos?

3:42, December 24, 706 CR

The forest is quiet.  No snow,new fallen from winter clouds, crunches
under paws or boots.  No breezeswhistle through the many branches,
playing a melody only they know.  Theair is still, as no man or beast is
awake to disturb it.  All have foundtheir beds, some in the trees, some
in the ground, and some on their mattresses. None here are awake on the
eve of the most portentous night of this year.
Yet a the snow does crunch, and theair does stir, as a black paw
hitherto unseen softly touches the ground. It is followed by three
others, leaving tracks quickly obscured by thedrifting snow.  The head
they support lifts up, taking in the forestaround it.  The pair of
ice-blue eyes gaze forward, into a small clearingthat is warmed to keep
the snow out.  The ears twitch and swivel, tryingto capture a sound, any
sound, but only registering the noises of their own body. After a few
minutes of silent regard, the moist snout finally picks upthe scent,
faint though it is, of the being.  It is sleeping in the singlewooden
chair set amidst the delicate clearing under the starlight.  It hasbeen
lying there some time, as its scent has had the opportunity to
diffusequite far through the air.
The lupine head moves forward,pulling the long black body toward the
chair and its occupant.  Thetongue, kenneled behind large fangs, slips
loose but is reigned back in before itcan slurp and announce its
presence.  Yet the tail, which was held highbehind the body, stiffens
out straight as the sleeper declares his consciousness:“I knew you would
return eventually.”
The wolf, knowing surprise waslost, responds in kind, for even though
its windpipe cannot produce words, hishost has never misunderstood him:
Oh comenow.  You can’t have been waiting allthis time.
“I knew you and I would talksometime during this century.  You have
never been that particularlydifficult to predict.”
Yetdespite that, you are still the only one in this forest who knows I
am here.
The being sighed, saying, “That youfound your way here through whatever
legerdemain you saw fit to use speakshighly of your unique qualities;
and of your stubborn nature."
The wolf raises its head, proudlyproclaiming, I am the first to
evercircumvent your wards, gaining entry without permission, and
proving, onceagain, that your kind are not omnipotent.
A chuckle wafts from the reclinedseat.  “We never claimed to be!  Your
boasting, however, is a poorattempt to cover your vexation that I
noticed you and ruined your little‘surprise.’  I do not think I would
have liked it much anyway, but thankyou for the thought.”
The wolf moves behind the chair andlowers its jaws to a foot above the
headrest, its hot breath tickling thebeing’s pointed ears.  It growls,
the air rumbling in its massive chest asit broadcasts, I can still crush
yourhead, be rid of you.  The world would be that much better off
without yourscheming and controlling.  Besides, I’ve never personally
seen one of yourkind die.
The Åelf steeples his fingers butkeeps his gaze forward, replying, “You
could do as you say.  But you know,as certainly as I know, what would
happen to us all if you did.  Nor can you have already forgotten
yourpunishment for the last time that you lost your temper.”
The wolf backs its ears and tucksits tail before recovering and moving
to the left of the chair.  It makeseye contact with the Åelf as it says,
Suchthings rarely happen.  The world and itspeoples do not intrigue me
as they once did.  Dragons are too reclusivewith their secrets and their
mysteries, and you know my quarrels with thegods.  The one race that I
can findkinship with anymore is yours, and only with a select number of
individuals.
“Am I one of them?”
...Yes.
The Åelf raises his eyebrows as hemurmurs his thanks.  Knowing the
sensitivity of the wolf’s ears, he doesnot raise his voice as he says,
“Then you should come to appreciate myapprentice as well.  He shares my
temperament, and still possesses thefire of youth.”
The wolf lies down, disturbing theleaves again as it falls to rest its
head in its paws.  I never said I liked you, even though thatis the
case.  As for your apprentice, I will reserve my judgment until hehas
his first millennia under his belt.
“He will most likely survive thatlong.  He has a natural affinity for
change, and knows how to make use ofit.  He will need that ability as
well; once the prophesies before us arefulfilled – for better or for
worse – the predictions grow more disorderly andeventually begin to
contradict each other.  The stars no longer speak withone voice.  With
time, anything willbecome possible.”
ThenI will stay out of his way, as those who lead change are not
favorably disposedtoward those who have led it before.
“You should not hold back fromrelationships so much.  No nation survives
long without allies.”
Iprefer not to spend time and energies building something that will last
nolonger than an eyeblink.
“Yet some bonds still need to beforged.”
The wolf gives off the impressionof a smirk.  Ah yes, your guest
fortomorrow evening.  Would you be so kind as to introduce us?  I’m
surehe’d love to meet me.
“His reaction would undoubtedly be…interesting.  I’m sure you would find
it amusing, but somehow I do notthink your grinning head on a pike would
serve any worthwhile purpose.”
Spoilsport.
“I know you like to entertainyourself by provoking the Ecclesia, I did
hear about your little escapade inPyralia-”
Whichone?
“652 by their calendar.”
Ah. The wolf’s tail wags.  Thatwas a fun year.
“And while I agree with you thattheir current doctrines concerning magic
are overly constrictive, I do notcondone your ‘efforts’ to ‘change their
view.’  In my opinion, you are notendeavoring to shift their outlooks as
much as exploiting the more ignorantamongst them for cheap laughs.”
Sowhat if I am?  I need all the laughs I can get.  That spree shouldlast
me for another seventy-five, hundred years anyway, and by then
Yesulamwill be flipped upside down if not razed.  Your young guest will
help withthat soon enough.
“Yes, he will.  He will fightwith all his strength and all his mind and
all his heart and all his soul, andeven that which is not his, but… he
does not know what lies ahead.”  The Åelf sighs.  “I fear none of
ustruly do.”
Oh,come now.  You’ve been reading that Story correctly for so long, you
mightas well be made a prophet.  The wolf adopts the guise of
fearfulworshipfulness, and stretches its front legs as if prostrate
before the chair. Oh great Pencina, please, tell me,I beg of you; how
will I die?
The Åelf’s ears perk up in mirth ashe answers, “I am truly sorry, but
you will choke on the pelvis of the nextdeer you eat.”
The wolf rolls onto its back, pawsswinging in the air.  Oh, you can
dobetter than
that.  Besides, I’d be eating something much more filling, like… elk.
Deer are appetizers.
The Åelf finally smiles.  “Anelk, then.  A fine twenty-point elk will
twist as it slips down your throat,clogging your windpipe and ending
this life.”
Atleast I won’t be going out hungry.
“Hungry?  You have never letsuch a simple thing as hunger slow you
before!”
The levity falls as the wolf’s pawsdrop back down.  I never had
thechance to stop, even when I wanted to.  I have been forced to
continue againstall forces and powers of this realm.
“You have the opportunity to givethat chance to others.  That is more
than most are ever given.”
The wolf chuffs.  Why should I help them benefit from what Ican’t enjoy?
“Cannot, or will not?  Youfeel a purpose deep in your soul, or you would
have given up a long time ago. It drives you to keep moving, taking up
the purposes of others in thehope that one might be yours.  However,
because you have no knowledge of itsnature nor how to recognize it if
you find it, you continue your wanderings,hoping despite all evidence to
the contrary that you have a reason to exist, topersist, and that you
will discover your reason sometime before the end.”
The wolf is on its feet, growling,its motions harsh.  You said youcould
not read my part in the Story.
“And I did not lie.  I canoffer you no guidance nor help in your search.
 But I have studied the racesof this earth for ages, and at some point
each and every individual will wonderwhat his purpose is.  You simply
have more time to ponder.”
The wolf snorts in surprise andlies back down, resting its head on its
paws.  I was wrong when I said you should be a prophet.  You don’t
knowthe future; you just know people well enough to predict, anticipate,
and leadthem.
The Åelf sighs, resigned. “You will believe so, as it is not totally
incorrect.  You may interpreteven my death in that way, when the story
spreads.”
The wolf’s ears perk.  Do you know of it?  Do you know how youwill die?
“I have my hopes, and my fears. Wait another year, and you will be able
to know my end.”
The wolf’s head lifts.  So soon?  Over three long millennia,and you only
have one more year?
The Åelf quickly interjects, “Ionly want one more.  If I have any more
than this one…”  The ancientcreature shudders.  “I do not wish to think
of it.  Though I willstand alone until I can stand no more, I must
release my life from my control.You know this.”
No,I do not know what horrors you will suffer, what pain you must
endure, whattears you will shed to see this thing through.  This is more
than anymortal should have to bear. The wolf’s head rises look the Åelf
in the eye,and it smells the distress from its friend.  My offer still
stands.  I could spare you the anguish that thiscoming year will bring.
Seeing compassion in the wolf’sstriking blue eyes, the Åelf quietly
sighs, then slowly shakes his head. “Your proposal is enticing, more so
than when you originally mentionedit.  Yet, though I might wish to
accept it for my own sake, this is much granderthan any one person –
even one so venerable as I.  Besides, I am not yetso weary of my days as
you are of yours.”
Thenyou had better make these coming days count, more than any of your
considerablelifespan.  May the world shake with your passing.
“It will.  However, if itcomes to pass, mine is not the last.  One more
must be taken before youmay know that it is finished.”
Ihave seen him and know his family, and I do not like either of them.
Theyall have a history of arrogance, leading straight back to their
first.  Idon’t care about their talent; they could certainly have used
it better thanthey did.  Not all is foreordained.
The Åelf’s voice is sharp. “Only you among all beings on this world have
the latitude to say that,and the freedom to prove it.  That family, if
they knew of you, woulddetest you as well, for that very reason.  Even
from before their births,they know that everything happens for a reason.
 Some of them can chartthose reasons, sailing safely through their
lives, and the most wise can evenalter the map.  You alone add doubt,
contradiction, chaos to their tidyworld, and they are afraid of your
potential for destruction.  This lastone has been and will be called
upon again to make sacrifices that approach thelimit that humans can
endure.  And you know that humans have the greatest capacityfor
endurance, for healing.”
The retaliation is spiteful.  I have never exceeded my capacities.
His words remain quiet, yet carrymore rebuke than a slap.  “You have
done so many times, and those onlyduring my life.  Each incident is
stunning.  I cannot imagine yourprevious wounds, nor the emotional scars
you yet bear.”
Almost too quiet to understand, thewolf replies, Nothing can.
The pair remains silent long enoughfor the waning crescent moon to
traverse another quarter of the sky. Finally, the Åelf says, “Metamor
will need a protector.”
Theyhave their spirit, she seems to have done fine so far.
“No.  She is but passive, onlydefending when attacked.  It needs an
aggressive defender, who is notafraid to make the first strike.”
…Andyou want me to take the job.
“Not necessarily.  You do seemto be the best choice, but you will do as
you want, like you have always done. Several who live today can take the
position, and some are in the Keep already. You will return to Metamor
in time, regardless.”  He adds,inaudibly, “If only to learn of my death.”
Ofcourse I will return there.  I cannot go anywhere in this world
withoutreturning anymore.
“If you find a home, you will enterit for the first time.  And you will
never find it the same again.” The wolf bares its teeth and growls, but
the Åelf continues, “You haveseen this many times over in your lifespan:
everything changes.  And myknowledge enables me to repeat what you
already know.  You have never hada home.  Dwelling places, perhaps, but
nowhere that your heart yearns for. And besides, not all changes are for
the worse.”
The wolf slowly rises, and pads overto the Åelf.  I will miss you. Bado
mae, Qaneg.
The Åelf rises to face thoseice-blue eyes, his gold-trimmed green robes
flowing over his body.  “Iwill miss you as well.”  He raises his arms
and embraces the wolf aroundits neck.  The wolf leans back, surprised,
then nuzzles its friend inreturn.
After they part, the Åelf asks, “Idid not understand your last sentence.
 Would you repeat it, please?”
The wolf smiles.  If I did, you still would not recognize thelanguage. I
said, ‘Go well, little Qan.’
Qan-af-årael smiles as well. “You are the only one I know who can
rightly speak to me in thediminutive.”
The wolf draws closer.  As I will ever be.  It leans downand licks
Qan-af on the cheek, then turns and retraces its advance through
theleaves.  Goodbye, my friend.
The moonlight glances on the wolf’sback, rippling over the lean muscles,
highlighting the sheen of the black fur,then illuminating the drifting
snow.  Qan-af-årael raises his hand to thewet streak on his cheek.  He
says farewell to his departing friend withthe only name he ever learned.
 “Goodbye,Ingemer.”

!DSPAM:4e0bf2e3315681412310228!