[Mkguild] Inchoate Carillon, Inconstant Cuckold (18 of ?)

C. Matthias jagille3 at vt.edu
Fri Oct 7 14:54:10 UTC 2011

Some very important scenes today.

Inchoate Carillion, Inconstant Cuckold
By Charles Matthias

March 8, 708 CR

There were many advantages to being a tree scout.
Being an opossum, it felt natural to Baerle to be
scrambling around through the high branches away
from the forest floor; it conveyed a sense of
safety to her that was instinctual more than
coherent. None of the bigger predators could
reach her up in the trees, and those few that
could climb after her she could easily evade. Or
so the little whispers in the back of her mind
told her, even if they could not even use words
to do it. The feeling of safety was like a shawl
draped over her body when she perched on a solid
branch, her tail curling around its haft.

One of the biggest was that it allowed her to
keep clandestine watch on her friends down below
whenever they were in the Glen or nearby. That
morning, in the still cool hours when the sky had
no sun but brightened like a sapphire in
anticipation of its arrival, she chose once again
to watch the rat Charles Matthias as he crouched
and wept over his lost son in the Follower graveyard.

The boy Ladero's death had been an agony for her,
even more so for Kimberly. How well Baerle could
remember the many months in which she'd felt that
little boy's muzzle at her breast taking
nourishment. It was the closest she who was
barren would ever come to motherhood. She had
cried herself to sleep several nights thinking
about that sweet little boy who'd bravely faced a
horrific death that he neither understood nor
deserved. But the wound had mostly healed.

Until Charles's return had ripped it wide open
again. And with it, the long postponed yearning
in her heart to be more than just a nursemaid for Charles.

Kimberly had offered to let Baerle be Charles's
mistress if her husband so desired her. It had
come through tears, but also through a love and
pity for the barren opossum that made Kimberly
one of the bravest people Baerle had ever known.

Charles knew nothing of the offer. The desire to
have Baerle as his mistress had to come from him.
And with Kimberly and the other children gone and
the man she loved grieving, she knew that she
could offer herself as solace. She knew that he
was at his most vulnerable now and that it would
be so very easy to help him find comfort between the sheets of his bed.

But could she live with herself if she took
advantage of him like that? Could Kimberly still
love her as a sister if she took advantage like that?

Her tail tightened about the branch as she leaned
forward ever so slightly. Below her in the
shadowy grove Charles knelt on the ground, his
hands pressed into the stone of the marker. He'd
brought a lantern with him, and the light
glistened off his granite flesh. She'd touched
him once when he was stone, and it had been cold
and lifeless, yet moved beneath her. It had
frightened Kimberly and intrigued his children.
Baerle didn't quite know how she was supposed to feel about it.

But as she watched, heart torn, eyes beginning to
tear over the poor boy and the family that missed
him, Charles began to sink more and more of his
body into the marker, arms up to the elbows
vanishing within the stone, making it bulge and
swell in all directions. Her one hand holding the
branch tightened, claws digging into the bark,
while her other quickly brushed the tears from
her face. The rat didn't stop pushing, forcing
his head into the stone cross until it blended
like puddy. She gasped as he shoved himself into
the marker up to his chest, the vine that wrapped
about him shifting to curl around the stone marker.

What should she do? Was there anything she could
do? Baerle considered scrambling down the tree to
try and stop him before he turned himself
completely into a gravestone. Could she even pull him back out?

Baerle would try anyway. She scrambled along the
branch with all four paws and started bouncing
down the main trunk of the tree from one branch
to another before she stopped and breathed a sigh
of relief. Charles, after pressing down almost to
his waist so that he was but a tombstone with
legs and a tail, withdrew his upper body which
gained definition with each inch. Baerle breathed
a sigh of relief and quietly made her way back up redwood.

By the time she resumed her perch, Charles was
standing over his body's grave now fully flesh
again. He made the sign of the yew before his
chest, trembled in anguish, before picking up the
lantern and walking back toward the Glen commons.
Baerle shut her eyes tight to keep any more tears from flowing.

It took her several minutes to calm herself
enough to open her eyes. The opossum lifted her
gaze up through the boughs of needles, cones, and
branches toward the brightening sky. Her breath
sagged in her chest and even her tail relaxed and
loosened its grip. The trembling in her paws
ceased as her eyes absorbed all the interweaving strands of tree before her.

She couldn't. Baerle knew that. With a long sigh,
a sigh filled with love for the Matthias family,
especially her sister whose heart she was sick of
hurting, she knew that she had to let Charles go.
Even if he made an advance toward her, she could
not let him. For the sake of their family, Baerle
offered her love for the rat back to his wife.

The opossum took several deep breaths, marveling
anxiously as her heart kept beating. It wasn't
broken. Sore, lonely, but still beating.
Tentatively, she slid down to where the branch
emerged from the main trunk. There she crouched
with her head between her knees and her tail
wrapped tightly about the bark. Whispered prayers
and sobs echoed in her throat, but neither slipped past her snout.

----------

James kept quiet during that day's scouting
mission. Berchem lead around the other side of
the lake and toward the base of Mt. Kalegris.
This time they flushed some game and returned to
the Glen with the carcass of a dead elk dragged
on a travois, but they still found no sign of
Lutins or bandits. Ralph and Anson warmed to him
and expressed confidence that he would do well in
the mountains in a few days. Berchem offered no such sentiment.

They caught the elk in the afternoon, and so once
they'd dressed their kill, they headed back to
the Glen. James could hear the bell thrumming in
his pack with each step they took. The bell was anxious and eager. Hungry.

After bringing the elk to Jurmas at the Inn – the
irony of a deer preparing an elk for feasting
struck James as particularly hilarious just then
– they reported their findings to Lord Avery
before being dismissed for the night. James
lingered until the others had dispersed and then
leaned in closer to where the gray squirrel and
badger sat conferring. “Milord Avery, have I proved myself capable?”

The squirrel frowned, apology writ in his dark
eyes and lowered whiskers. Even his tail slowed
its jerking from side to side. “You have, James.
I'm sorry we doubted you. You will be going once the supplies are ready.”

“You are a very capable scout and warrior,
James,” Angus added with warmth and a bit of
pride. “I'll be delighted to have you at my side when we go.”

James took a deep breath and nodded, his ropey
tail flicking back and forth once with his
relief. The bell chimed delicately. He would have
his chance to be alone with Baerle after all. He
sucked his lips back against his teeth for a
moment before asking, “When will we be leaving?”

“In two days,” Angus said with a grunt. “Burris
should be finished by tomorrow. The supplies are almost ready.”

“I'll be ready with mine as well,” James said.
“Now, I'm going to get something to eat. More
scouting tomorrow. Good night, milord. Angus.” He
bowed his head to them before leaving the brewery.

And he did as he promised. He walked the short
distance up the hill and to the Inn. Several
other scouts were there, including Ralph, Anson,
and Berchem. They were seated in a cluster with
some of the other scouts. James joined them,
still carrying his pack over his shoulders.
Jurmas the deer came by a moment later and
offered them each something hot to eat. The
donkey didn't even ask what it was, simply
agreeing to whatever the others wanted.

Ralph, it turned out, had a veritable library of
ribald stories that he could summon with the
click of a tongue. James listened and laughed
with the rest of them as they ate. His eyes
strayed to watch the skunk from time to time, but
otherwise he just enjoyed the vole's scandalous tales.

After a dozen, Ralph decided he'd rather drink
than talk and so they settled into a few rounds
of bock from Lars's brewery. The cheer was
infectious, and for most of the scouts, it helped
them forget for the night about the terror that
was the plague gripping Metamor. But James could
never forget his true purpose. The thrumming of
the bell against his back kept his mind focused
and clear. Each reverberation seemed to dissipate
whatever beer he'd drunk so that his mind was crisp and alert like a new dawn.

It took three rounds before the skunk decided
he'd had enough. “I've a few things to attend to
before I get too inebriated,” he said as he stood
up and extricated his legs from the table bench.
Berchem's eyes were a little jittery, but his
tongue was sure and his movements as fluid as
they ever were out in the forest. “It's always a
pleasure, my friends. But I bid you a good night.”

James lifted his mazer toward the skunk while
Anson and Ralph and the other scouts all wished
him a good night's rest. The donkey lingered a
couple minutes more before similarly excusing
himself. The fox and vole wished him well and
promised to see him in the morning for another
day of scouting the forests around the Glen. “I'm
looking forward to it,” he assured them as he
hoisted his sack. The bell throbbed with a silent peal against his spine.

Although he lived at the Inn, he did not head
toward his chambers. Instead, he followed the
skunk out into the evening twilight. The air was
cold and his breath curled in twin plumes from
his nostrils. James's tail tuft danced against
his hocks. He lifted one hoof after the other and
set them down against the hardening crust left
behind when the snow had been cleared last. He
followed the path from the Inn down to the Glen
commons and then north through the first line of trees.

It was in the second line of trees that the skunk
made his home. Between a pair of roots that
pressed close together nestled the slanted door.
It closed with a thunk behind the skunk's
disappearing tail, and with it what little light
he'd carried through the twilight. James crept
around the line of massive trees, careful not to
trip over any of the snaking roots as they dug
into the earth, and stood for several seconds a dozen paces from the door.

James slipped the pack over his shoulders, undid
the drawstring holding the top flap tight, and
then shifted through the remains of that day's
meal to retrieve his cracked bell. His hide shook
as if dislodging flies when his hand met the
iron. Thick fingers stroked across that smooth
conical surface, savoring the bore; the tips of
his hoof-like nails tickled the clapper.

Tolling.

He nodded in silent acquiescence. It was time.

James lifted the bell from his pack and held it
firmly in his right hand. After retying the
drawstring and slinging the pack over his
shoulder, the donkey walked with gentle hooves
across the pitted ground until he stood before
the door. It angled away from him between the
roots and bore no markings to identify it as the
skunk's home. But there was a pungent musk
pervading the air that made his nostrils twitch.
He kicked the bottom of the door with one hoof as if he were knocking.

Berchem's voice sounded beneath him. “Who is it?”

“It's James,” he replied. “There was something I
needed to speak with you about. I... I didn't
want to do it in front of the others.”

He could hear the skunk grunt under his breath
before saying, “Just a moment.” Claws clicked
against wooden steps in front of him, and then he
heard a wooden bar lifted out of the door. “Come on in.”

James kept the bell behind him as he lifted the
door. It swung upward, revealing a set of
descending stairs at the bottom of which stood
the skunk. Berchem stepped out of his way and
grimaced. “I don't have much to sit on. What's on your mind, James?”

Berchem wasn't lying. The stairs led down to a
single room home. To the donkey's left was an
array of fletching equipment neatly organized in
racks, while next to them was a clothes chest and
armor tree. On a stand in the middle of the room
was a lantern providing soft lighting in every
nook and cranny. Beyond and fashioned from stone
into the roots of the tree was a hearth that had
been used the previous night. Next to that was a
single pallet with a plain green quilt draped
over its length. The Matthias children played in
a room larger than Berchem's home.

James pulled the door shut behind him and leaned
against one wall to keep the bell concealed for a
moment more. “Something you said yesterday has
kept me thinking. You said that Baerle wasn't
worth it. What did you mean by that?”

Even before the donkey had asked his question,
Berchem's expression had been one of mild
impatience. The skunk wanted James out of his
home so he could get some sleep or whatever it
was he'd intended to do. But with the mention of
the opossum's name his muzzle turned sour, his
eyes darkened, his ears lowered, and his tail
lashed back and forth. He growled under his voice, “Just forget about her.”

James lowered his snout an inch, letting his eyes
more fully bore into the skunk. “I want to know.”
He curled his wrist back, lifting the bell behind him.

Berchem crossed his arms once, and then uncrossed
them, gesturing at the stairs with one paw. “No.
Save yourself the pain and forget about her. Now
if you have nothing else, please leave me to
sleep. Tomorrow is going to be another long day, and we all need our sleep.”

Too much horrified to speak!

James shook his head. “No, Berchem. You are going
to tell me. What did you mean?” He let slip his
arm and struck the bell in the air. The chime
cascaded from wall to wall, a clear brazen tone
that made his heart quicken. The skunk blinked
once and then slapped his paws over his ears and
doubled forward, hackles raising along his back.

“What in all the hells?” he shouted, daring to
reach one paw out to grasp James's wrist.

But James took a step back and swung the bell
again. The gong dropped Berchem to his knees,
eyes shut tight, and his entire body quaking with
each echoing peal. He gasped, long tongue
pressing past his fangs as he tried to find some
avenue to escape the ricochet of sound in his mind.

Tolling, tolling, tolling.

James struck the bell one more time, his nostrils
flaring as he watched the skunk crumple to all
fours and shrink in stature nearly a foot as his
body pulled inward as if making himself smaller
would help him escape from the cracked bell's sonorous tones.

“Answer my question and I won't ring the bell anymore. Tell me the truth.”

Berchem lifted his head and hissed through his
fangs. James ground his teeth together, and
smacked the skunk in the head with the bell. He
flipped onto his back and rolled around, kicking
off his breeches in the process, and nearly
upending the lantern as the echoing tone rolled on and on.

And he rolls, rolls, rolls.

“Do you want another paean from the bell?” James
snapped, nearly braying in a fury that swelled
with every throbbing monotone. The skunk's eyes
ran with tears as hands that were nearly paws
rubbed over his face trying to seal off his ears.
His legs twitched in the air, shrunk to only half
their normal size, while his tail snagged itself
in one of the crossbeams beneath his pallet.

As the tone faded, Berchem's voice began to chirp
and churr, and the words that he spoke could
barely make the claim to be such. “I loved her.”
James sneered and lifted the bell for another
blow. Berchem shielding his face with one paw and
whimpered like a child. “I did! I did!”

They can only shriek, shriek, out of tune!

James's lips flecked with spittle and he stomped
his hooves near the skunk's head. “Tell me. Tell
me or,” his two-fingered hand curled tighter
about the handle of the cracked bell The conical
bore glimmered with a fiery sheen in the lamplight.

Berchem's eyes were rimmed with white as he
stared fixedly at the bell. He swallowed heavily,
his limbs and shape ever so gradually resuming
human proportions. James glowered at the skunk
and twisted the bell back and forth in his hand;
the clapper tickled the inside of the bell with a
faint tintinnabulation. “Well? In a night, or in
a day, in a vision, or in none. Tell me!”

Berchem rolled onto his right side, his hands
splaying across the wooden floor as his legs
hunched up, his chest heaving for each breath.
“She came to the Glen almost two years ago,” he
said slowly, his whiskers trembling as his snout
and tongue formed each word. “From Mycransburg.
The last of her family died. She was already a
competent archer, so Lord Avery placed her under
my tutelage. She was fetching and warmed to me
quickly. When I learned that her family was gone,
I comforted her. It didn't take long before it became something more.”

For the heart whose woes are legion. Yet the ear
tells in the jangling, and the wrangling.

James ground his teeth together and steadied his
grip on the bell. What a horrid thought it was to
think that Baerle had once had feelings for this
skunk who dared to say such vile things about
her. The very image of Baerle resting her
narrow-snouted head against the monochromatic
chest fur of this striped, saturnine scout – not
to mention running her gentle and nimble fingers
through that same coat – inflamed his gorge as if it were a fresh wasp sting.

“Villain!” James sneered with a bray. “You lie
about Baerle! She would never be with you!”

Berchem's jowls drew back over his fangs and he
hissed back at the donkey. James lifted his arm,
ready to strike his bell again, when the skunk
leaped into him. He brayed in surprise as a
vice-like grip clamped down on his right wrist,
while the other hand grabbed him around the
throat and squeezed tight. “You little shit!”
Berchem snarled as he pushed James back against
the stairs. “I did love her! I did! What by all
the daedra has possessed you? This bell... this bell is evil!”

James swung his free arm and struck the skunk on
the back several times, and kicked with his
hooves but the skunk responded by pressing his
claws against his neck and forcing him with
strength along to buckle toward the ground.
Berchem's eyes, once filled with fright, were now
livened by rage. “I don't know what this bell is
doing to you, but it ends now. “

The stairs bit painfully into his back, and his
tail lashed beneath his as he struggled with his
hooves to gain some purchase, clattering against
the wood as fruitlessly as if it were ice. His
chest heaved and his throat coughed beneath the
skunk's grip; the world swam above him, the only
thing certain was the mephit's burnished fury. He
tried to shake his hand to make the bell ring,
but he couldn't even summon the faintest of tinkling from the clapper.

What had he been thinking in trying to challenge
Berchem like this? The skunk had been training as
a Glen scout his entire life. James had barely
more than a year's worth of experience to boast
of; and no matter how much Charles, Angus, or
anyone else assured him that he did have reason
to boast, he knew it was just the pity of his
betters speaking. What could he possibly do
against somebody as experienced as this skunk who
was methodically strangling him into unconsciousness?

Tolling...

Even the murmuring of his bell seemed a distant
thing to him as the world above lost focus. He
vainly tried to pull Berchem's hand from his
neck, but the skunk's grip was as sure as a
lodestone's. Darkness caressed his thoughts and
scampered about the edge's of his vision. His
throat ached for a single clear breath. What good
were his boasts about killing that Sondecki if a
skunk who had no magical ability could topple him and conquer him so easily?

Tolling...

Then again, how could he even claim he'd killed
Zagrosek? The massive carillon had accomplished
that. He'd merely cut the rope holding them up in
that vaulted ceiling. His mind vacillated between
the concerted, beastly face before him and the
visions of the dark night where he dreamed of joy
departed. The vaulted chamber with walls a mile
distant swelled before him. How it swelled; how it dwelt on the future.

Tolling.

If he fell unconscious, they would separate him
from the bell. Baerle would hate him. Charles
would be disgusted with him. Angus would be
disappointed in him. And Berchem, he who had cast
such vexatious imprecations on the sweet opossum,
would always be the stronger than he. James
screamed inside as he tried to yank the paw from
his neck. The claws dug in deeper as his efforts grew weaker.

Tolling.

His head fell back against the wooden steps, and
in his half-waking nightmare, he could see up
into the darkened ceiling at the vast rim that
stretched before him. The shadows, for a brief
moment, glimmering with a translucent
phosphorescence, parted to reveal what hid there.
James felt as if he were the greatest of fools.
The bell he held in his hand was exactly the same
bell he had dropped on Zagrosek!

Tolling!

How could it have come all this way with him?
Weren't the bells from the Chateau destroyed?

A lonely spirit guiding.

Guiding him, but why?

I dwelt alone in a world of moan, and my soul was
a stagnant tide. My soul at least a solace hath
in dreams of thee, and therein knows an Eden.

They wanted to be with him. James felt such a
certain delight in knowing and in being. The
bells wanted to toll and toll for him. They
would! This skunk could never silence them!

James straightened his eyes and with one last
burst of energy slapped his free hand against the
ground as if he held the bell in that hand
instead of his constrained right. The air split
with a clear tone that silenced all other noise.
That single note encapsulated the unity that
existed between James and the bell. It did not
echo, but lingered like a living presence finally come to dwell in their midst.

Berchem gasped at the sound, his grip on the
donkey's neck and wrist weakening as he recoiled
from the pressure radiating from James's body.
With a snap of his wrist, James rang the bell
again, doubling the tone so that there were now
two notes shimmering in the air in exquisite
harmony. The skunk trembled, trying vainly to
keep his grip on James's neck to squeeze the last
of his air, but already his claws were slipping
against the donkey's thick hide, the callused
pads on his fingers losing definition as his arms began to shrink.

Tolling!

James swung the bell again, and the chord hung in
the air like a choir of heavenly voices.
Berchem's eyes shut tight as he finally let go,
crumpling back in a pile of warping limbs and
tail. James put his hooves beneath him and stood,
towering over the simpering creature. James could
feel the three bells cascading over his hide and
through his ears. This was their voice proper, and it commanded obedience.

“Now,” he said in a firm rumble that nevertheless
blended harmoniously with the music of the
carillons. “Tell me of Baerle. If she loved you
too, then why did she leave you?”

Berchem quivered for several long seconds, trying
to crawl toward the quilt-covered pallet, before
James stepped on his tail and ground it beneath
his hoof. The skunk hissed, but couldn't crawl
any further away. The glamor of the bells faded
some, but still rang in the air with a crispness like ice at dawn. “Tell me.”

“She lied to me,” Berchem said through clenched
fangs as his head dwindled in stature. “I told
her what I yearned for. A family. A son. She knew
she was barren and said nothing! Nothing until
after I asked for her paw in marriage!” He spat
his words and dug his claws into the wood with
both hands and feet. His thumbs looked just like
his fingers so beastly had they become.

James swung the bell once, but said nothing. The
shimmering fourth note clung to the air and
battered the skunk's head into the ground. His
forehead sank back as his body began to drag
along the floor, slipping free of his tunic, and
gathering toward his tail where the donkey's hoof
kept it fixed. Berchem's claws gouged the wood floor in long narrow trails.

The skunk's fury for one moment vanished. His
eyes stared across the small chambers filled with
so little and they brimmed with tears. “All I've
ever wanted is a son. I could teach him to hunt,
shoot, and scout. I could teach him to be a good
man.” The skunk took a deep breath and then
lifted his head over his shoulder to glare at
James. “Baerle should have told me she was barren
when I told her what I hoped! She lied to me and
waited until much later! She lied!”

James kicked him in the haunches with his other
hoof firmly enough to snap the skunk out of his
tirade, but not so much to actually break the bone. “What did you do to her?”

“I told her we could never be together!” Berchem
was almost completely a skunk in body now, yet
his tongue could fashion words that seemed to
make sense through the sonorous chord. James
readied another kick, when Berchem arched his
back and sunk his teeth into James's fetlock. A
furious bray escaped his throat as he kicked his
leg forward. The bell struck three times more in
his fury, adding a fifth, sixth, and seventh note to the symphonic utterance.

The cascade of sound battered the skunk across
the room, forcing him to shrink until he was a
complete skunk. He buried his head into the
quilts, frantically digging to escape the chorus.
James savored the polyphony, seeing the massive
carillons tolling in their belfry where once they
had watched over the house of Marzac.

Bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells.

“You threw her away.” James said as he walked
slowly toward the pallet, his body nearly
floating as the waves of sound lifted his limbs.
“You cast aside her. She who is worth hundreds,
nay, thousands of you! Stupid little beast!”

The skunk lifted his head for a moment, ears
backed against his head, and chirped, “There's more!”

James blinked and stood still next to the
lantern. He lifted the bell and pressed it
against his chest. The warm vibrations coruscated
through his heart and veins, even as they fled
from the room, leaving a strange sort of silence
in their wake. They, those mighty bells, were not
gone, only in reserve. And with their absence
Berchem's body began to grow again, human
definition overcoming the mephit form.

The donkey's voice growled like an ostinato,
sullen and bereft of compassion. “What else is
there? Speak or I bring eight and nine. You will not survive nine.”

Berchem crouched on the pallet tangled in the
mass of quilts. His limbs were still short and he
had true paws instead of hands, but his head had
regained its human stature. A thin line of blood
trickled from one of his ears. He barely managed
to make his ragged voice work, “Last year I was
very drunk one night. So was Baerle. We came back
here as if nothing had happened between us.” He
paused for breath, dark eyes warily watching the
bell, but what fight was left in him seemed to be
reserved for telling this final tale. James
lifted the bell half an inch and the skunk
quickly resumed. “We weren't so drunk that we
couldn't figure out what a man and woman are
supposed to do. And it was... quite wonderful for
a little bit. And then she called his name.”

A dark hand gripped James's heart and his ears
lifted high over his head. His tail fell straight
between his legs and his nostrils widened with a deep inhalation. “Who's name?”

Berchem looked him straight in the eye, a
defiance there undimmed by the lingering traces
of the seven bells. “You know. Charles.”

James ground his teeth together. “Nay!”

“Oh, Aye! Baerle thought she was a brimming Charles!”

He shook his head back and forth, braying a scream. “Nay! It's not true!”

“Of course it is! You've seen the way they look
at each other. She's his mistress as surely as
Nasoj is an damn wizard! And that's why I told
you to forget about her. She's a brimming slut
who'll break men's hearts just to get a little more tail!”

James swelled to his full height and drew his
lips back across his teeth. “You! You!” He lifted
the bell over his head. One swift blow would cave
in the repulsive skunk's head.

Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget.

The sweet ministrations of his bells stilled that
vicious anger and afforded him a moment to
consider things clearly. He had seen all of the
looks and words that had passed between his
beloved Baerle and his friend Charles. He'd known
that there was at the very least affection if not
intimacy between them. Could he truly deny it now?

No, he could not. But he would not give the
skunk's story credence. If Baerle and Charles
were adulterers, then it could not have been
brought to pass by the opossum. His friend was
the culprit; Charles who always worried whether
James could handle the tasks before him; Charles
who always felt he had to compliment the donkey
for every little achievement in order to make it
seem greater than it really was; Charles who
boasted of his skills as a scout, as a
knight-in-training, and even as a writer and
anything else he attempted to do; Charles who
made friends with everyone he met and could do no
wrong even when he betrayed Metamor to her
enemies; Charles who had a wife and children
already and yet was so greedy that he had to take
the one that James loved; how could James even call him friend anymore?

There was no other course of action left to him.
It pained him, given that Charles had helped him
get back on his hooves after he'd lost everything
in Nasoj's winter attack. But had the rat acted
out of love for James, or from his own vainglory
and for the chance to boast of his charity to a
poor Keeper who obviously couldn't fend for himself?

James ground his teeth together, lowering the
bell slowly as his rage shifted from the skunk
before him to the one for whom he once would have
done anything. Charles was even more skilled of a
warrior than Berchem. He would need the element
of surprise. And he would need Baerle to see the rat for what he really was.

The answer came to him without even any prompting
from the bells. The journey into the mountains
was the key. There he could unmask that
traitorous rodent for what he truly was. But if
Berchem were dead, others might know that it was
James who killed him. And if Berchem were alive,
then surely the skunk would tell others what he'd
done and he'd never be united with his opossum.

Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget.

He chortled under his breath as the bells
reiterated their will. James's eyes fixed on the
skunk still cowering in the quilts half-way
between a man and a beast. Of course the bells
could contend with such a conundrum in so simple
a way. He gave the bell one last shake. The
eighth tone gushed like a wave from the clapper
and the bore, his entire arm shimmering so that
it seemed to fade in and out of the lamplight.
Berchem's eyes widened once, and then he
collapsed unconscious sprawled across the quilt.

James lifted the bell to his lips and kissed
fervently, licking the bore as he gasped for
breath. He rubbed its smooth surface across his
muzzle, and pressed the crack down across his
nostrils. Thick lips felt along the edge of the
crack, while his tongue explored within, wrapping
around the clapper as the tones rang across his
ears in ascending arpeggios. Within he could feel
the ninth tone glimmering with ineffable
potential, the final tumbler to some esoteric lock.

So shake the very Heaven on high with tumult!

James withdrew his tongue and lips from the bell
and slowly let the brazen instrument fall to his
side. “With Baerle,” he said softly, his vision
racing with dreams of the opossum wrapped in his
arms. He smiled and fancied pressing his lips to
her snout, her neck, her breasts each in turn.
And then lower. Oh how he longed for that day
when she would fancy doing the same and more for him.

He reposed in such sweet reverie for nearly a
minute before the donkey finally glanced around
the small home. Other than the bell he'd brought
nothing else with him. He knelt down and picked
up the skunk's tunic and breeches. These he
folded quickly and placed next to the pallet where they were in easy reach.

James turned to the stairs but paused after
taking a deep breath and recognizing his own
earthy musk in the air. While there were several
other equines who lived at the Glen, a few
donkeys amongst them, no one would mistake James's scent for theirs.

But lo, a stir is in the air!

James nodded to the unseen presence. He noted the
two windows in either side of the small home,
then turned his attention on the hearth. James
struck the flint a few times before he was able
to light the kindling. He nursed the little flame
with his breath until it contentedly consumed the
brush available. James spread more kindling, then
added a few larger logs. The fire would last through most of the night.

Cradling the bell in one hand, he crossed back to
the skunk, and gingerly rolled him within the
heavy quilts to keep him warm. Satisfied, he
turned to the lantern atop its stand and
extinguished the wick. The crimson glow from the
hearth cast strange shadows across the room, but
James paid them no mind. He cracked each window
two finger widths, allowing a cool crisp breeze
to circulate. With it he could almost feel his scent washing away.

James double checked the quilts covering the
skunk one last time before climbing the stairs
and closing the door behind him. He returned the
bell to his pack and hummed to himself as he
walked through the Glen, letting the torches in
the commons guide him along his way. The donkey's tail even swayed.

!DSPAM:4e8f1298207941804284693!